3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

[quote name='slidecage']umm how can they say 90% larger screens if they were already

3.55 and 3.02

wouldnt that make them close to 6.74 and 5.73

not 4.88 and 4.18[/QUOTE]

It's about the screen area. The top screen is 16:9 and the bottom screen is 4:3 ratio. The 3.55/3.02 to 4.88/4.18 describes the diagonal distance of the screen. We'll just look at the top screen. The 3.55 diagonal means that means the screen is about 3.1 inches wide and 1.74 inches tall for an area of about 12.6 square inches. The redesign is 4.88 diagonal, or about 4.25 inches wide and 2.4 inches tall. This leads to an area of 23.8 inches of viewable space. I came to about 89% larger screen but I don't have the exact specifications, either way it's alot bigger.

I might jump on this. I wanted the 3DS for the longest but the screens were too small and there were not enough games for me to get on board. I just got a DSI XL and love it. I'll wait and check out some reviews and/or a good holiday bundle before getting one. I feel the same about a Vita too, it's just $250 is too much for me. I soooo want to play Gravity Rush and Persona 4.:drool:

Getting a 3DS in 2012 just went from "meh...maybe..." to "highly likely, especially if they bundle Mario with one this holiday season!"

So, from my perspective, well done Nintendo.

[quote name='coolz481']Came to say this. I liked the 3DS but got rid of it after a couple of months because it was just too small and uncomfortable. I'll pick this up if they bundle it with Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion for $199 on Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! :applause::bow:

@Ather I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately I am not one to jump at the newest thing. I know I have a Vita but I traded for it. You're right, might as well shop 3DS's on Craigslist. I found some for as low as $85. (saw the DSi XL for $60)

[quote name='pjgamer007']I currently have a DSi XL and love it.

I have resisted getting a 3DS so far, but I may have to cave and get the 3DS XL. If it had the second stick and they had gotten rid of the sliders (I like the volume control on the DSi XL), there would be no question of me getting it. Right now, I'm just not sure...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been eye-balling the XL. Of course if all games work on the 3DS and I can find it cheap enough then that's a good way to go. Hmm. Decisions, decisions. Like I said above, I usually am not an early adapter.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sherlock2g']I might jump on this. I wanted the 3DS for the longest but the screens were too small and there were not enough games for me to get on board. I just got a DSI XL and love it. I'll wait and check out some reviews and/or a good holiday bundle before getting one. I feel the same about a Vita too, it's just $250 is too much for me. I soooo want to play Gravity Rush and Persona 4.:drool:[/QUOTE]

Was in BB the other day and played Gravity Rush on their display model. It was sweet. Great game. I could see maybe paying full price for that one. The controls were weird (think 3D space) but very neat. I got used to them after the demo.:applause:

After getting a DSi XL, the difference in size would be well worth getting a 3DSXL. Unfortunately, there's a couple of obvious problems that might still keep me from getting one.

For starters, I (like many of you) am an Ambassador on the 3DS. Although I would assume that they will give people the ability to transfer everything over, I'm not sure if that would work with the ambassador status as well. Either way, as somebody already mentioned, I would need to have both my 3DS and my 3DSXL in order to do a transfer of things like Pushmo (XL Pushmo? :bouncy:) which would kill any possibility of using "trade up" programs.

The second thing is that I've already put forth a decent amount of effort to address all the issues that I had with the 3DS; Circle Pad Pro, Nyko Power Grip, cases etc. I don't want to have to go and get XL versions of these things all over again.

[quote name='cancerman1120']No. North America is getting it. It is in Europe that is not.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jun/22/nintendo-3ds[/QUOTE]

Japan isn't either.

Can you imagine the bitch fest that would happen in America if they didn't release it with one? Not that I wouldn't agree with people about it, it's still stupid as hell to not include it with one. What about those who DON'T have a 3DS and want the XL one because the screen was too small for them? Oh, it's OK, just shell out an additional 20-30 dollars for it. Bullshit.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']After getting a DSi XL, the difference in size would be well worth getting a 3DSXL. Unfortunately, there's a couple of obvious problems that might still keep me from getting one.

For starters, I (like many of you) am an Ambassador on the 3DS. Although I would assume that they will give people the ability to transfer everything over, I'm not sure if that would work with the ambassador status as well. Either way, as somebody already mentioned, I would need to have both my 3DS and my 3DSXL in order to do a transfer of things like Pushmo (XL Pushmo? :bouncy:) which would kill any possibility of using "trade up" programs.

The second thing is that I've already put forth a decent amount of effort to address all the issues that I had with the 3DS; Circle Pad Pro, Nyko Power Grip, cases etc. I don't want to have to go and get XL versions of these things all over again.[/QUOTE]

For future reference, would love to know what case you use. I appreciate you listing your accessories. I'm the kind of person that uses accessories to improve my gaming experience. I like practical stuff. Plus, I have large hands so anything to help that. I was looking into the grips for my Vita.

Perfect timing for me. I always dismissed the 3DS as a legit gaming device because of the super small screen. I'll pick it up along with New Mario and Kingdom Hearts. Hopefully Gamestop has a decent trade in deal for the original 3DS.

I just have a $9 clear case for my 3DS.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CTA-Nintendo-3DS-Crystal-Case-3DS-Nintendo-3DS/16489863

I posted this before cause someone asked for recommendations.

pro:
- cheap
- adds ridigity to the hindge
- adds virtually no additional bulk to your 3DS

cons:
- some ppl don't like how snug it fits
- some ppl have trouble popping it out
- sometimes dust can get trapped underneath the case and if that drives you crazy, it'll drive you crazy. (only thing i've run into)

- some ppl have sweaty palms and have reported condenstation forming underneath the case.

Can't say I didn't see this coming, they are missing the second analog stick though, but I understand why they didn't include it.

Hope they fix the screen scratching problem on these units.

This version doesn't cost much more than the current 3DS, and it seems well worth it for the bigger screens. If there is a decent BF bundle, then the cost will be about the same as where the 3DS is right now.

The charger is a problem, and would be a huge problem in the USA if they weren't including it. I can't imagine how much it costs to make one of these chargers, you can buy cheap versions of the charger for $3-5, it can't cost more than that to make one. Its also the same charger that has been out for a while, so I am sure the costs to make it are lower. But they would probably charge $25-30 for the charger alone, which would be insane.

You can even buy a USB cable that works in the charger slot, I have one that works for DSi and I would assume it works for 3DS as well, you would think maybe Nintendo would just include a USB cable if they are concerned about cutting costs because most people already have 1 or many USB chargers laying around, and if you don't, there is always the PC or Laptop. If you had to buy a USB charger, it would be less than $10.

[quote name='SaraAB']Can't say I didn't see this coming, they are missing the second analog stick though, but I understand why they didn't include it.

Hope they fix the screen scratching problem on these units.

This version doesn't cost much more than the current 3DS, and it seems well worth it for the bigger screens. If there is a decent BF bundle, then the cost will be about the same as where the 3DS is right now.

The charger is a problem, and would be a huge problem in the USA if they weren't including it. I can't imagine how much it costs to make one of these chargers, you can buy cheap versions of the charger for $3-5, it can't cost more than that to make one. Its also the same charger that has been out for a while, so I am sure the costs to make it are lower. But they would probably charge $25-30 for the charger alone, which would be insane.

You can even buy a USB cable that works in the charger slot, I have one that works for DSi and I would assume it works for 3DS as well, you would think maybe Nintendo would just include a USB cable if they are concerned about cutting costs because most people already have 1 or many USB chargers laying around, and if you don't, there is always the PC or Laptop. If you had to buy a USB charger, it would be less than $10.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo still sale the charger for $15. You can find them cheaper on Amazon for under $5. The cord might be shorter but it gets the job done. I would buy a few since me and my son have DSIs. :bouncy:I think NOA annouced that the adapter will be included.

[quote name='sherlock2g']Nintendo still sale the charger for $15. You can find them cheaper on Amazon for under $5. The cord might be shorter but it gets the job done. I would buy a few since me and my son have DSIs. :bouncy:I think NOA annouced that the adapter will be included.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its gonna be included for USA. I can see why not for Japan because they have an accessory place probably like every block over there where you can get this stuff, I don't think they ever run out of chargers. Stores in the USA can run out of them, and then takes months to get more in if they get a blitz and a bunch of people buy up all the chargers. A lot of stores here only get one shipment of something and that is it, or it goes on clearance and you never see it again at that store. Japanese people also more responsible than Americans, and less likely to lose their charger.

Gamestop is everywhere, but with any luck they would expect people to "preorder" the charger, then not have any more. I have checked a few GS stores and none have any copies of Pikmin 2, irrelevant, but they just expect people to preorder, and they get no stock in other wise of popular games. Once its gone, time to resort to a used product, better hope someone trades it in. Wow, I just checked, and there is NO GS store in my area that has any copies of Pikmin 2.

Almost every used system here that needs one DOESN'T include the charger, same with cell phones, I have no idea how people could lose such an important thing, even kids. People keep the phone, but they don't keep the charger... I don't get it, they keep the system, but they don't have the charger.

Bummer... I was really hoping for a second analog.

Oh well, guess I'll just sit and wait for the regular 3DS to drop.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Oh cool! Just noticed that this will be released a few days right before Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Awesome.

Going to be a tough decision:
Vita Wi-Fi $250
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward $40
Memory Stick 4GB $20
Total: ~$310 plus tax
Already have more than a handful of PS1/PSP/Minis games.

3DS XL $200
SD card 1GB $10 (Not sure if the 3DS even uses a memory card since I don't have one.)
Total: ~$250 plus tax
Already have more than a handful of DS games.[/QUOTE]

Well, if the XL is anything like the 3ds it'll come with an SD card built in, and where the crap are you buying your SD cards that a 1 GB costs $10? You can get 8 gig ones for $8 now.

[quote name='Gden']Well, if the XL is anything like the 3ds it'll come with an SD card built in, and where the crap are you buying your SD cards that a 1 GB costs $10? You can get 8 gig ones for $8 now.[/QUOTE]

3DSXL actually comes with a 4GB SD card vs the 3DS' 2GB SD Card.

You probably won't need anything larger f you don't plan on buying retail games through the eShop.

I've got almost two dozen eShop games, a mix of virtual console and actual 3DS software, and I don't think I've hit the halfway point on my 2GB SD card yet.

I hope Amazon sells this thing. And I don't mean some third party selling it at $30 above MSRP, I mean Amazon. Did they sell the Midnight Purple 3DS? I don't think I ever saw one for MSRP.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']I hope Amazon sells this thing. And I don't mean some third party selling it at $30 above MSRP, I mean Amazon. Did they sell the Midnight Purple 3DS? I don't think I ever saw one for MSRP.[/QUOTE]

i dont think amazon sold the 3ds for years due to people bitching it was damaged in shipment

i think i have a 4gb in my xl and have 3o or 40 games downloaded and its not even showing any blocks used (still says 9999 blocks free)

[quote name='Vinny']Bummer... I was really hoping for a second analog.

Oh well, guess I'll just sit and wait for the regular 3DS to drop.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. this would've been an instant buy for a lot of people if it had a second analog. Don't know what Nintendo are thinking.. Hell, this would probably have been an instant buy for me if there were a purple 3DSXL.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Oh cool! Just noticed that this will be released a few days right before Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Awesome.

Going to be a tough decision:
Vita Wi-Fi $250
Memory Stick 4GB $20
Total: ~$310 plus tax
Already have more than a handful of PS1/PSP/Minis games.

3DS XL $200
SD card 1GB $10 (Not sure if the 3DS even uses a memory card since I don't have one.)
Total: ~$250 plus tax
Already have more than a handful of DS games.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same situation. I'll probably end up buying whichever handheld the game is better on, I want it that much lol.

[quote name='sunghost']
I'm in the same situation. I'll probably end up buying whichever handheld the game is better on, I want it that much lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a good idea.

Am I the only one who really likes this it looks nice to me. Matte finish bigger screens real buttons and no gloss surrounding the screen. But yes i think no second stick was no that smart.

[quote name='z3razerviper']Am I the only one who really likes this it looks nice to me. Matte finish bigger screens real buttons and no gloss surrounding the screen. But yes i think no second stick was no that smart.[/QUOTE]

Right on!

Any concern about what game are going to look like on this screen? I mean, increasing the screen size by 90% while keeping the same resolution has get the have a negative impact. Especially while playing DS games on it.

[quote name='KingBroly']DS games on the XL looked so much better at that bigger size. Plus you could hold it farther away.[/QUOTE]

I thought the general consensus was that DS games look a little better on the DSi? To me there is a noticeable difference (not saying the DSiXL looks bad mind you).

[quote name='sunghost']

I'm in the same situation. I'll probably end up buying whichever handheld the game is better on, I want it that much lol.[/QUOTE]

That means you are getting a Vita unless you need to play it in 3D

My 3DS is just collecting dust, I haven't touch it since RE. The kids haven't touch it either
So I'm gonna pass on this XL.

A second circle pad would had made this a day 1 buy, too bad Nintendo didn't include it.

[quote name='RoMee']My 3DS is just collecting dust, I haven't touch it since RE. The kids haven't touch it either

A second circle pad would had made this a day 1 buy, too bad Nintendo didn't include it.[/QUOTE]

So what games are you avoiding now because it doesn't have a second analog stick? Seems like if it's collecting dust nothing would make a new one a "day one" purchase.

[quote name='RoMee']My 3DS is just collecting dust, I haven't touch it since RE. The kids haven't touch it either

A second circle pad would had made this a day 1 buy, too bad Nintendo didn't include it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Leaving out the 2nd analog pad is a huge mistake. Are they waiting to release a 3DSXLi with an additional analog pad later? Makes no sense at all to not include this in the revision.

Seriously, if it included that, I would even consider buying one; overall the XL looks to be much improved from the crappy original 3DS model. But not including the 2nd analog is just a huge blunder; it curtails the entire life of the system.

At this point I figure very few games are ever going to use the second analog nub So I'm not too off-put by its omission. Honestly if the currect 3DS didn't hurt my hands I wouldn't even give the XL a 2nd though.

A new circle pad would've caused the entire OS to be re-written to support a 2nd pad, and that older games (RE:R) would automatically act like the CPP was there. That's probably why you're not seeing it...yet anyways.

I imagine a 3DS lite (something to cross between the current model and the XL) will have a 2nd pad, as well as a new interface that supports the NiN account system. But that's just a guess.

But until I see a better color scheme I have plenty of 3DS goodness to look forward to this year: Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2, Theatrhythm, NSMB2, Epic Mickey and of course Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 (for my DS).

[quote name='chimpmeister']Agreed. Leaving out the 2nd analog pad is a huge mistake. Are they waiting to release a 3DSXLi with an additional analog pad later? Makes no sense at all to not include this in the revision.

Seriously, if it included that, I would even consider buying one; overall the XL looks to be much improved from the crappy original 3DS model. But not including the 2nd analog is just a huge blunder; it curtails the entire life of the system.[/QUOTE]

Come on let's be honest. There was no chance you were gonna buy this. If they'd have included a second analog stick, you'd have complained about something else.

With the way things are looking I wonder if they will discontinue support for the CPP eventually, or just make it very, very optional or very few games might use it, maybe 1 game a year. Nintendo has a history of making peripherals where only 1-2 games use it.

I also wonder if they will release a new version for the 3DSXL model, which would make it incredibly large. If they don't then we can probably safely say support is dead or almost dead for it. If they were going to fully support it, I assume it would have been included in the new system, with owners of the regular 3DS having the option to purchase the pad separate as they do now so the user base doesn't get segregated.

[quote name='SaraAB']With the way things are looking I wonder if they will discontinue support for the CPP eventually, or just make it very, very optional or very few games might use it, maybe 1 game a year. Nintendo has a history of making peripherals where only 1-2 games use it.

I also wonder if they will release a new version for the 3DSXL model, which would make it incredibly large. If they don't then we can probably safely say support is dead or almost dead for it. If they were going to fully support it, I assume it would have been included in the new system, with owners of the regular 3DS having the option to purchase the pad separate as they do now so the user base doesn't get segregated.[/QUOTE]

No way Nintendo WON'T release a CPP-XL. Monster Hunter sold a lot of 3DSs, and I don't think they'd be that dense and not realize the potential there.

[quote name='confoosious']Come on let's be honest. There was no chance you were gonna buy this. If they'd have included a second analog stick, you'd have complained about something else.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna agree with this. There has been straight up nitpicking backlash from the community, and I don't get it. There is always a critic no matter what you do, you can't please everyone.

"If I asked my customers what they want, they simply would have said a faster horse."

-Henry Ford.

[quote name='KingBroly']The DSi XL is the best DS system. It's big and sexy and awesome.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you there but you can't dispute that there is some give and take with a larger screen at the same resolution.

[quote name='KingBroly']DS games on the XL looked so much better at that bigger size. Plus you could hold it farther away.[/QUOTE]
I thought most 3D games looked worse. You could tell that the games were not designed with pixels that big in mind.

[quote name='ZForce915']So what games are you avoiding now because it doesn't have a second analog stick? Seems like if it's collecting dust nothing would make a new one a "day one" purchase.[/QUOTE]

I'll translate for the Nintendo fanboys.

My 3DS is just collecting dust. If Nintendo want me to upgrade, it'll take more than just a bigger screen.
A second circle pad would had been enough for me to upgrade.

man i dont know to either buy a new DSI XL or a 3ds xl

130 to 200....

with only like 3 3ds games i would even want to attempt to play i think i wait for a deal

tales of abyss , the new FF game coming july 4 and the heroes of ruin game are about the only things i even want.. and already own a used 3ds i could play them on.

maybe around xmas it be nice to see

3ds Xl with 50 buck gift card... I would be all over that

now to wait for a good DSI XL DEAL what would push it under 100

bread's done
Back