3DS-XL announced, $199, comes out on 8-19-12!!

[quote name='KingBroly']A new circle pad would've caused the entire OS to be re-written to support a 2nd pad, and that older games (RE:R) would automatically act like the CPP was there. That's probably why you're not seeing it...yet anyways.[/QUOTE]
You sound pretty confident about something that sounds like straight bullshit.

I would think the OS supports that input whether it's built-in or add-on (CPP). But let's assume that this OS is limited for some reason in that way. As OS revisions go (at least in the ones I'm familiar with), it's usually not a big deal to revise to support a given device/input. Especially if the device is supported in a previous version.

There may be a legitimate reason why a second pad wasn't included, but the OS limitations dog don't hunt. I'm guessing that the legit reason is that Nintendo wanted to hold back a potential upgrade for a newer 3DS version a year or so down the road. The Apple analogy isn't on the nose, but it's close enough: the expectation is that people will own more than one DS/3DS. You gotta hold back a goodie so people will want to buy the next model.

A second stick would not require an OS rewrite. At all. It would take a few lines of code at most to make it work. The games that support it would also need to be patched but it's something a junior coder could handle.

[quote name='slidecage']umm how can they say 90% larger screens if they were already

3.55 and 3.02

wouldnt that make them close to 6.74 and 5.73

not 4.88 and 4.18[/QUOTE]

area

[quote name='dothog']You sound pretty confident about something that sounds like straight bullshit.

I would think the OS supports that input whether it's built-in or add-on (CPP). But let's assume that this OS is limited for some reason in that way. As OS revisions go (at least in the ones I'm familiar with), it's usually not a big deal to revise to support a given device/input. Especially if the device is supported in a previous version.

There may be a legitimate reason why a second pad wasn't included, but the OS limitations dog don't hunt. I'm guessing that the legit reason is that Nintendo wanted to hold back a potential upgrade for a newer 3DS version a year or so down the road. The Apple analogy isn't on the nose, but it's close enough: the expectation is that people will own more than one DS/3DS. You gotta hold back a goodie so people will want to buy the next model.[/QUOTE]

well, I mean that it'd basically have to be built like the CPP is there all the time, which is something the OS doesn't do at the moment.

What will happen to all my downloaded games for my 3ds if I buy the 3dsXL. I have around $120 worth of stuff on my handheld. Would nintendo "unlock" the games and put them on my new handheld if I sent it to them to do?

I would hate to be out of a 3ds for 2-3 week though. I have a vita, but my 3ds gets all my "work" lunchbreaks, 5 days a week.

Oh, and your front butt is showing lol :)

Two French sites posted some previews of the XL:
Site 1 (Summary/Google Translation)
From Google translate:

Huge screen
Better viewing angle
3D effect looks better/more effective/more natural
2D mode looks better than regular 3DS
Image looks better/softer (they assume there might be some filter but not sure)
The grip (round corners) fit nicely
Unit fits better in hands (they wonder if it should've been the main design in first place)
Unit is lighter than they expected
There's a coat in the unit (not fully matte) that gives it a "deluxe plastic imitating metal" look
Not sure at the sound as the room was quite noisy

Site 2 - Summary
- the screen looks good, very good
- while the image looked worse on a DSiXL than on a DSi, it's not the case here. 3DSXL pixels look as defined as on 3DS.
- the screen seems very luminous
- 3D effect is more comfortable and more immediate
- the analog stick is more convenient to use, no need to bend your thumb anymore

Personally was hoping for a 3ds lite model, focused on ultra-high battery life, and standardizing a 2nd stick, as well as a more aggressive price point.

You know, I am pleased with the announcement. The system looks similar to the original, has better battery (even if only minimally), and is bigger. For the way I use it, that's perfect. My main complaint, however, is that the 3D sweet spot is too limited. In any game that has action (Mario Land, Revelations, for example), I usually have the 3D off because everything becomes blurry as I move a bit.

Was pleased to hear about the 20th Anniversary Kirby coming to Wii, though. Seems like a nice collection of games.

So I just bought a 3ds at best buy two weeks ago on my best buy credit card. Since I am within the 30 day return period, could I return my 3ds and get a refund so I can buy a 3ds xl? And do you think the xl is worth the upgrade?

[quote name='Jacoblee23']So I just bought a 3ds at best buy two weeks ago on my best buy credit card. Since I am within the 30 day return period, could I return my 3ds and get a refund so I can buy a 3ds xl? And do you think the xl is worth the upgrade?[/QUOTE]

call best buy.
1-888-237-8289

the XL looks pretty stunning and yeah, i think it's worth the upgrade.

[quote name='100xp']call best buy.
1-888-237-8289

the XL looks pretty stunning and yeah, i think it's worth the upgrade.[/QUOTE]

I called them. They said I can get my money back no problem. The problem is though is I don't know what I done with my action replay cards. Ugh. Would I get denied taking it back without them? Lol not sure where the instruction manual is either, but I am sure I can find both if I need to.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']I called them. They said I can get my money back no problem. The problem is though is I don't know what I done with my action replay cards. Ugh. Would I get denied taking it back without them? Lol not sure where the instruction manual is either, but I am sure I can find both if I need to.[/QUOTE]

to avoid a potential restocking fee...i'd find them. ymmv.

[quote name='H4Y4TO']I will probably pick it up but I will wait for a special edition or a price drop...[/QUOTE]

This.

The Zelda cosmo black 3DS last year was gorgeous. Can only hope for a spiffy version of the 3DS XL to win me over.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']When is Amazon gonna put this bad boy up for pre-order?[/QUOTE]

I'm beginning to think they won't. They never ended up selling the Midnight Purple 3DS, and they've stopped carrying 3DSs altogether for god knows how long now.

[quote name='Nogib']This.

The Zelda cosmo black 3DS last year was gorgeous. Can only hope for a spiffy version of the 3DS XL to win me over.[/QUOTE]

Majora's Mask 3D special edition?

Ohhh the wet dreams to come.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']I'm beginning to think they won't. They never ended up selling the Midnight Purple 3DS, and they've stopped carrying 3DSs altogether for god knows how long now.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that for a while now, what's up with that?

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I've noticed that for a while now, what's up with that?[/QUOTE]

Amazon has never given a reason for it. They also never gave a legit explanation for all the PSN codes they stopped selling. Personally, I think these decisions were ultimately made by Nintendo, and Sony. It doesn't make sense for a retailer to just stop carrying an item, and never explaining why. Maybe there are legal reasons present that restrict them from talking to customers about it.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']Amazon has never given a reason for it. They also never gave a legit explanation for all the PSN codes they stopped selling. Personally, I think these decisions were ultimately made by Nintendo, and Sony. It doesn't make sense for a retailer to just stop carrying an item, and never explaining why. Maybe there are legal reasons present that restrict them from talking to customers about it.[/QUOTE]

I think they had so many complaints about the 3DS (screen scratching, cheap hinges, etc.) that they decided not to sell any 3DS systems. They MAY change this for the XL, since it is assumed that Nintendo fixed the scratching issue (at least, no idea about the hinges). But since Gamestop and other retailers already have the XL up for preorder, and Amazon doesn't, it looks questionable to say the least.

Thanks for the video. I'm definitely going to pick one up, but like several others have said, I'll wait until November to see what kind of bundle Nintendo has cooked up for Black Friday.

Just decided I'll get a Japanese 3DS XL when it comes out and wait for a better (possibly LE) color for the US version that will upgrade the original. I'll probably keep the original for potential wireless matches and StreetPass tags/trades.

Now I need to figure out what JP-only 3DS game(s) to get. One suggested Project X Zone...so maybe that will be it. Any recommendations?

[quote name='cochesecochese']How much Japanese do you speak?[/QUOTE]

Not fluent at all. ;)

I would be after "easy" games such as Gundam-related titles, crossover fighers, puzzlers and somesuch. I have a friend in Japan (he teaches English there) who would get that stuff for me. With some common sense and help from a local gamer (who understands enough Japanese), I will be fine. This isn't something I'll dedicate a great deal of time to. It's more out of curiosity...and yes, it'll cost money...but what the hell. ;)

That friend in Japan will set up a Club Nintendo account so I may also end up with some fun JP-only goodies/prizes as well.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I think they had so many complaints about the 3DS (screen scratching, cheap hinges, etc.) that they decided not to sell any 3DS systems. They MAY change this for the XL, since it is assumed that Nintendo fixed the scratching issue (at least, no idea about the hinges). But since Gamestop and other retailers already have the XL up for preorder, and Amazon doesn't, it looks questionable to say the least.[/QUOTE]

The hinges have been the same since the DSi/DSi XL (it's random luck if you get a tight or loose hinge though), so I doubt they'll fix that, but maybe they'll fix the screen scratching issue.

Now they're saying that they're going to release a new circle pad pro extension for the XL. Would it have been that hard to just build the system with two sticks?

And I don't buy the "they didn't want to alienate part of their base" because they did it on the Wii when they introduce the Motion+.

[quote name='Vinny']Now they're saying that they're going to release a new circle pad pro extension for the XL. Would it have been that hard to just build the system with two sticks?

And I don't buy the "they didn't want to alienate part of their base" because they did it on the Wii when they introduce the Motion+.[/QUOTE]

i think it's to keep the cost down, and partly the fact more games don't need a 2nd thumbstick. I think someone mentioned earlier that it would also require more hardwiring to make all the games accept a 2nd thumbstick. if the 3DS XL was $249.99, I'd pass on it...$199 is pretty much a reasonable price point due to the size, clarity, and the upgrade to your handheld gaming experience.

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']Not fluent at all. ;)[/QUOTE]

Gon, Senran Kagura, Pocket Soccer, Monster Hunter 3G, Hana to Ikimo no Rittai Zukan (if only to see some super non traditional software published by Nintendo)

Although honestly I think you are wasting your time. I had to really dig deep to pull up a list of five games for you. Unless you are serious about studying Japanese with it I would say either wait a while or pass altogether.

[quote name='Vinny']Now they're saying that they're going to release a new circle pad pro extension for the XL. Would it have been that hard to just build the system with two sticks?

And I don't buy the "they didn't want to alienate part of their base" because they did it on the Wii when they introduce the Motion+.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It's because the CPP uses the IR, and that's how a second stick, in addition to 2 more shoulder buttons would have to interface through in order to work. Additionally, that functionality would have to be added to the main menu of the system for compatability with the original 3DS.

So I decided to take back my midnight purple 3DS that I got at best buy two weeks ago, to get a refund and get the XL. I am not happy about giving up this midnight purple color at all though, because I don't like the XL colors. I may get a skin for it or something. Does anyone have any experience in doing this? I've never done it before.

Hopefully a friend of mine is going to buy my 3ds for whatever gamestop is going to offer in trade-in towards the 3ds xl. This'll make it easier to transfer my games.

There is a big difference. The Wii severely fell short of its promise with the original controller design. The accuracy was just abysmal and a lot of games that sought to be what the Wii was all about were nearly unplayable as a result. Nintendo was just one class action suit away from having to send a Motion+ module to every registered Wii owner in the country.

But Nintendo managed to avoid that by treating the Motion+ much as they did the 4 MB RAM expansion on the N64. Nintendo would not publish a game that required the additional RAM until the market had been thoroughly seeded with promotional discounts and third party games that treated it as an optional upgrade. Eventually they did the Donkey Kong game that included the RAM modules as a bundled item.

Emulating this approach allowed them to avoid a confrontation in court. It also helps that most of the Wii games that appeal to the core gamer audience that would have supported such litigation don't rely on the motion sensor aspect of the console.

As much as some people may bitch and whine, the lack of a second analog input on the 3DS is not a serious defect. It is a limitation like those found on any consumer product. It has little bearing on most games and is mitigated through an optional accessory. Putting a second pad on the 3DSXL would have put Nintendo in the position of saying the lack of same on the original unit is a significant deficit and given litigators a line of attack. At the least it would have put Nintendo in the position of having to give away Circle Pad Pro accessories to all of the registered owners of the 3DS.

Keeping it as an accessory for a subset of games allow Nintendo to stand by their previous decision.

People complained bitterly about the same deficit on the PSP, yet it still managed to become a very popular platform for a few years.

[quote name='epobirs']As much as some people may bitch and whine, the lack of a second analog input on the 3DS is not a serious defect. It is a limitation like those found on any consumer product. It has little bearing on most games and is mitigated through an optional accessory. Putting a second pad on the 3DSXL would have put Nintendo in the position of saying the lack of same on the original unit is a significant deficit and given litigators a line of attack. At the least it would have put Nintendo in the position of having to give away Circle Pad Pro accessories to all of the registered owners of the 3DS.

Keeping it as an accessory for a subset of games allow Nintendo to stand by their previous decision.

People complained bitterly about the same deficit on the PSP, yet it still managed to become a very popular platform for a few years.[/QUOTE]

Excellent points all around. To reiterate, the lack of a circle pad in the revision was not due to any technical challenges. Implementing it at the hardware level would have been relatively painless and only cost Nintendo a few cents per unit.

The wonderful thing about sticking to a single stick is that it will encourage [Japanese] devs to keep on rolling with the innovative software train from the DS. I loved the DS for all of the truly bizarre software it encouraged and the last thing I want it to become is a watered down version of a home console.

On the PSP note, I distinctly remember seeing Japanese gamers plop into the claw position so naturally in videos of the MH3G videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='epobirs']The Wii severely fell short of its promise with the original controller design. The accuracy was just abysmal and a lot of games that sought to be what the Wii was all about were nearly unplayable as a result. Nintendo was just one class action suit away from having to send a Motion+ module to every registered Wii owner in the country.[/QUOTE]

Your ideas intrigue me, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

[quote name='epobirs']There is a big difference. The Wii severely fell short of its promise with the original controller design. The accuracy was just abysmal and a lot of games that sought to be what the Wii was all about were nearly unplayable as a result. Nintendo was just one class action suit away from having to send a Motion+ module to every registered Wii owner in the country.[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about?

[quote name='KingBroly']What the hell are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

I think he's talking about the time millions of people protested in front of NoA headquarters because they just weren't able to have any fun at all with Wii Sports, given how broken the Wii remote was. I also recall the global petition to the U.N. to force sanctions against Nintendo for how un-fun Super Mario Galaxy was due to the Wii remote's inability to function as a controller.

[quote name='Gden']Hopefully a friend of mine is going to buy my 3ds for whatever gamestop is going to offer in trade-in towards the 3ds xl. This'll make it easier to transfer my games.[/QUOTE]

rumor is 65 buck trade in

HOW bad does DS games look on 3ds..

my dsi xl is about shot and thinking

120 for the DSI XL what is almost a DEAD SYSTEM (look at lack of games coming)
or
200 for a 3ds xl

Thanks for that Engadget link. Pretty nice overview.

[quote name='slidecage']rumor is 65 buck trade in [/QUOTE]

Oh man, I'm upgrading from a DSi. They'll probably offer me like, eight bucks.

I'm really looking forward to this thing though.

I think Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts and Code of Princess all look like good fun. Kid Icarus was a favorite of mine as a kid so I'll probably grab that someday as well. Hopefully we'll see Etrian 4 and SMT4 make it to the US.

Plus, I have a dozen DS games I'm itching to play in my backlog. This will probably be the nudge I need to start working on them.

bread's done
Back