Aksys "Japan Benefit Sale"

DarkonJohn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Just saw this on the Aksys twitter feed:

http://www.aksysgames.com/2011/03/16/japan-benefit-sale/

As most of you, I’m sure, already know, the country of Japan was recently hit by a serious earthquake, followed by an even more devastating tsunami. We decided we wanted to do something to help. Our CEO, Akibo Shieh, had this to say:

The thoughts and prayers of our staff are with the people of Japan. We have many friends, relatives, and business partners who have found themselves suddenly faced with a level of tragedy that most of us can scarcely imagine. The scale of destruction is immense, but we have no doubt that with a combined effort it can be reversed, and every contribution—no matter the size—will play an important part in doing so. We can all play a part in helping Japan overcome this crisis.
With that in mind, we at Aksys Games would like to announce the following sale. It will run from today until March 24th, and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to charity efforts in Japan. If you can’t afford to buy anything, spread the word. Together, we can help.

Head to our store to check out the items on sale, or hit the jump for a list.

DS

Laevatein – $19.99 (same price, but now includes plastic folder and artbook)
Princess on Ice – $12.99 (was $15)
River City Soccer Hooligans – $14.99 (was $19.99)
Rockin’ Pretty – $12.99 (was $15)
Super Dodgeball Brawlers – $12.99 (was $15)
theresia – $14.99 (was $20)
World Cup of Pool – $7.99 (was $9.99)
PSP

Blazing Souls Accelate – $29.99 (was $39.99)
Gladiator Begins – $29.99 (was $39.99)
Mimana Iyar Chronicle + CD – $19.99 (was $29.99)
Jikandia + Phone Strap/Cleaner – $34.99 (New!)
PS3

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift + Vol. 1 & 2 of the CD Soundtrack – $29.99 (was $39.99)
Xbox 360

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger + Vol. 1 & 2 of the CD Soundtrack – $19.99 (was $35)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift + Vol. 1 & 2 of the CD Soundtrack – $29.99 (was $39.99)
Deathsmiles Limited Edition – $29.99 (was $49.99)
Deathsmiles Standard Edition – $19.99 (was $29.99)
Guilty Gear 2: Overture + CD Soundtrack – $14.99 (was $19.99)
Record of Agarest War + Mousepad & Pillow – $39.99 (was $49.99)
Merch

BlazBlue Comic – $12.99 (was $15)

Update: Post #47 confirms that the full amount you pay will be donated, not just the profit.
Update: Post $58 confirms that all items in the store are included for donations and the list above are items that are also being discounted.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mkelehan']Everyone, buy Deathsmiles.[/QUOTE]

What he said.

Please, please, please localize more Cave stuff, Aksys. :pray:

While I think it's great that Aksys is doing this, I also don't think you guys should be using this as a basis to make yourselves feel better.

If you want to help, then donate directly to one of the many charities (even the one on CAG). Proceeds can mean two things: either the entire sale amount or only the profit Aksys makes will go to help Japan. That's not made clear here. But if you donate $30 directly, then more of your money will likely go to help people out...

I'm not saying stop buying anything and give it to the less fortunate. I'm just saying it would be better to donate the money rather than buy a game simply because you're using this benefit sale as an excuse to buy another game...

EDIT* 100% of sales are going to Japan, thumbs up to Aksys.:D

[quote name='Vinny']

I'm not saying stop buying anything and give it to the less fortunate. I'm just saying it would be better to donate the money rather than buy a game simply because you're using this benefit sale as an excuse to buy another game...

EDIT* 100% of sales are going to Japan, thumbs up to Aksys.:D[/QUOTE]

I consider it being a CAG. Since Aksys is donating 100% of the sales, I consider it another good deal for us CAG's. Although I do agree you shouldn't buy these games just to feel good about yourself.

But $30 for BlazBlue CS, 2 soundtrack CD's, free shipping and no tax is a deal I would of bought without them donating either way.

Aksys rocks.

I'm confused though. Everything in the store is part of the promotion? Or is it just the stuff listed on the sale page? Because if it's everything, there's a lot more stuff I'll buy. Definitely been thinking about getting 999.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Aksys rocks.

I'm confused though. Everything in the store is part of the promotion? Or is it just the stuff listed on the sale page? Because if it's everything, there's a lot more stuff I'll buy. Definitely been thinking about getting 999.[/QUOTE]

Everything.

The sale items are just on sale. The money from anything you buy on our site will go to Japan. That means 999, BlazBlue comics, sticks, whatever. So load up!

I'm confused though. Everything in the store is part of the promotion? Or is it just the stuff listed on the sale page? Because if it's everything, there's a lot more stuff I'll buy. Definitely been thinking about getting 999.[/QUOTE]

Whether it's part of the deal or not... I love 999. If you know what it is (M-rated visual novel with puzzles), and you have any interest, you'll really get into it.

I recommend Deathsmiles LE for shmup fans, the faceplate is awesome. I also recommend River City Ransom Soccer Hooligans for those who played Nintendo World Cup Soccer on the NES. 999 was also amazing.

I want the Blazblue games. Everything purchased from the site is going to benefit?! I might have break my inner CAG to support the cause by buying the BlazBlue Tournament Arcade Stick.

Belisaurus can confirm, but I believe it's everything in the store. The items in the post are just particular items on sale.

[quote name='belisarius']Maybe "proceeds" isn't the right word. What we intend to do is send 100% of every dollar you spend in our store for the next week to Japan to help with earthquake/tsunami relief. In other words, it works like this:

1. You buy, say, 999, for $35.
  2. We send that $35 to Japan.
[/QUOTE]

That's awesome of you guys.

Well I loaded up. I bought a few things I normally would not have, but I also think I'll be happy I left my gaming comfort zone. Either way, the fact that the money goes to Japan IS the "deal" for me.

999 is a must-have for anyone who thinks it sounds interesting. Had been waiting on that. Also grabbed Agarest War (had been pondering it since it came out), Deathsmiles (after what everyone said) and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (after the awesome reviews).

Thanks, Aksys! :)

Oh, wow. Every cent is going to Japan? That's amazingly generous. I guess I'll bite on Deathsmiles LE.

Belisarius, if you're still around, can you clarify what the BlazBlue Comic Collection thing is? It's description is confusing me a tad. Are there twenty-four different volumes, or is there only one?

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Oh, wow. Every cent is going to Japan? That's amazingly generous. I guess I'll bite on Deathsmiles LE.

Belisarius, if you're still around, can you clarify what the BlazBlue Comic Collection thing is? It's description is confusing me a tad. Are there twenty-four different volumes, or is there only one?[/QUOTE]

I think they meant 24 more pages to read if you buy the comic.

I got an "service unavailable" message right after the transaction page. Is the website down or is it just me?

edit: guess I'm not the only one. :p

[quote name='callmewoof']Aksys gamestore is down? Says unavailable for me. Even their main webpage isn't working, nor the OP link at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Yep, same for me. I'm thinking of picking up a few things.

Bought blazblue CT over th weekend on eBay. Had I known this was going on I wouldve just sprung the extra 10 or so and helped Japan out.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Oh, wow. Every cent is going to Japan? That's amazingly generous. I guess I'll bite on Deathsmiles LE.

Belisarius, if you're still around, can you clarify what the BlazBlue Comic Collection thing is? It's description is confusing me a tad. Are there twenty-four different volumes, or is there only one?[/QUOTE]

It's just one book. I think the "24" is just the number of pages. I think it's called a "collection" because it's a bunch of different comics in one book.

[quote name='callmewoof']Aksys gamestore is down? Says unavailable for me. Even their main webpage isn't working, nor the OP link at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... We're having some issues with our web host that I'm trying to correct as well speak. Unfortunately, that sent the site down for a bit. It should be back up and functioning now, though.

Ah, so it's the same one that was at PAX then. Thanks for clarifying Belisarius. For those of you interested in it, only the first three pages are 4koma comics. Then there are two short stories and a couple standalone illustrations.

It's pretty funny, but there are a few references you might not get unless you've played the games. It's a must have for BlazBlue fans though.

Ok, I just bought 5 games! Didn't expect to do that today...but it's for a great cause! I commend Aksys for doing something like this! Awesomeness for everyone involved!

I hadn't even heard of 999 until today. It looks fantastic! I also snagged BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Deathsmiles: LE, From The Abyss, and River City Soccer Hooligans!

Hey belisarius, when are we going to get a true sequel to River City Ransom! WE NEED THIS!!!! Also, I paid with Paypal, I hope that the donation isn't affected by this! =)

[quote name='joeyatog']Ok, I just bought 5 games! Didn't expect to do that today...but it's for a great cause! I commend Aksys for doing something like this! Awesomeness for everyone involved!

I hadn't even heard of 999 until today. It looks fantastic! I also snagged BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Deathsmiles: LE, From The Abyss, and River City Soccer Hooligans!

Hey belisarius, when are we going to get a true sequel to River City Ransom! WE NEED THIS!!!! Also, I paid with Paypal, I hope that the donation isn't affected by this! =)[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Scott Pilgram vs The World which reminded me of River City Ransom.

[quote name='Marauder7']I enjoyed Scott Pilgram vs The World which reminded me of River City Ransom.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. I have that as well. But I want that true Kunioesque sequel! I can dream!!

[quote name='belisarius']Maybe "proceeds" isn't the right word. What we intend to do is send 100% of every dollar you spend in our store for the next week to Japan to help with earthquake/tsunami relief. In other words, it works like this:

1. You buy, say, 999, for $35.
  2. We send that $35 to Japan.
[/QUOTE]

100% awesome.

Time to take another look at the list of games to see what else I can buy that I haven't already (or buy again).

I've had Deathsmiles LE on my wishlist at GS for awhile because that had been the cheapest price. I'm more than happy to give my money directly to Aksys.

Wanted to have it shipped to a US address but outsider payments were unwelcomed. :(

Awesome sale though!

Laevatein – $19.99 (same price, but now includes plastic folder and artbook)

can someone confirm if this actually has an artbook and stuff? the description doesn't mention any of that. its usually cheaper on amazon and if theres no bonus i wont bother picking that one up

*edit* err nevermind i see the text there now im either blind or it wasn't loading properly before. I think i'll buy more than i intended. Maybe get a few backup copies of games since its for a good cause

Is Jake hunter any good?

[quote name='Kenshindono']Laevatein – $19.99 (same price, but now includes plastic folder and artbook)

can someone confirm if this actually has an artbook and stuff? the description doesn't mention any of that. its usually cheaper on amazon and if theres no bonus i wont bother picking that one up[/QUOTE]

Well, the $$ is going to a good cause! And it says it comes with the artbook.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Laevatein – $19.99 (same price, but now includes plastic folder and artbook)

can someone confirm if this actually has an artbook and stuff? the description doesn't mention any of that. its usually cheaper on amazon and if theres no bonus i wont bother picking that one up[/QUOTE]

Well, not much point to me responding now. :3 But yes, it does 100% include the artbook and folder.

If you're going to get Jake Hunter, I'd get Memories of the Past, which, sadly, we no longer have stock of. You might be able to find it on Amazon or eBay, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
ill snag jake hunter i hear its a fun adventure game. not enough of those out there. I'll wind up getting the toehr later

1 more question:
Mimana Iyar Chronicle

is that the regular special edition version? In the art box? It says it comes with soundtrack cd so im wondering if its just the game bundled with that. I actually bought a copy but since this is for a good cause i wouldn't mind picking another copy up to keep sealed if its the special edition version

[quote name='Kenshindono']ill snag jake hunter i hear its a fun adventure game. not enough of those out there. I'll wind up getting the toehr later

1 more question:
Mimana Iyar Chronicle

is that the regular special edition version? In the art box? It says it comes with soundtrack cd so im wondering if its just the game bundled with that. I actually bought a copy but since this is for a good cause i wouldn't mind picking another copy up to keep sealed if its the special edition version[/QUOTE]
There's only one version of Mimana. It does come in a larger cardboard box (instead of just the PSP slipcase), if that's what you mean. It's the same thing you would have gotten if you bought Mimana when it was first released.

thnx for the quick answers Bell, thats the version i thought. I'll get another for sealed keeping . Just for final confirmation before i do my order (lol this is toping 300 bucks it looks like)

the Record of Agarest war thats up on the site. It sounds like thats just the standard edition bundled with the mouse-pad and pillow case right? NOT the LE with the box?

I cant remember what the LE came with, the copy of it i ordered on amazon hasn't arrived yet, but it sounds like it has a soundtrack with it that this bundle doesn't. Is that and the artbox the only 2 things missing?

Im also curious what size the pillowcase is. My niece would probably actually like it since the chick has pink hair, lol

*edit* noticed your answer to this question earlier. Still curious about the pillowcase size.. if its for a queen, twin, what

Yeah, it's not the LE. The only things that are missing are the OST and the artbox as far as I'm aware.

The pillow case is 26" x 20" -- taken from Amazon.com.

Oh and you'll like Laevatein's artbook Kenshindono.

[quote name='Kenshindono']thnx for the quick answers Bell, thats the version i thought. I'll get another for sealed keeping . Just for final confirmation before i do my order (lol this is toping 300 bucks it looks like)

the Record of Agarest war thats up on the site. It sounds like thats just the standard edition bundled with the mouse-pad and pillow case right? NOT the LE with the box?

I cant remember what the LE came with, the copy of it i ordered on amazon hasn't arrived yet, but it sounds like it has a soundtrack with it that this bundle doesn't. Is that and the artbox the only 2 things missing?

Im also curious what size the pillowcase is. My niece would probably actually like it since the chick has pink hair, lol

*edit* noticed your answer to this question earlier. Still curious about the pillowcase size.. if its for a queen, twin, what[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the version of Agarest that we're selling doesn't have the special box that came with the Naughty Edition, nor does it have the CD. Other than that, the content is the same (game, pillowcase, mousepad).

So far as the size of the pillowcase... I have no idea. I didn't realize pillows really varied in size that much.

tnx rabbit and bel. I'll probably give the pillowcase to my niece, though i cant really tell how sugestive it is from the stock photos, lol. Shed just like that it has a girl with pink hair

awww man. In the time i put stuff in the cart to the time i went to checkout the following were sold out:

Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles
theresia
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (PS2)

that sucks =( Actually looks like they still let you put it in your cart i guess the main page doesn't update as fast as the checkout. Bummer, ill have to get those later on amazon when the price drops a bit. they were kinda impulse buys, except for GG XX accent core. i never did buy that one, always meant to get plus instead but never did

[quote name='Kenshindono']tnx rabbit and bel. I'll probably give the pillowcase to my niece, though i cant really tell how sugestive it is from the stock photos, lol. Shed just like that it has a girl with pink hair

awww man. In the time i put stuff in the cart to the time i went to checkout the following were sold out:

Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles
theresia
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (PS2)

that sucks =( Actually looks like they still let you put it in your cart i guess the main page doesn't update as fast as the checkout. Bummer, ill have to get those later on amazon when the price drops a bit. they were kinda impulse buys, except for GG XX accent core. i never did buy that one, always meant to get plus instead but never did[/QUOTE]

Well shoot. :( Sorry about that. Some of those titles were pretty old, though. We only had a few copies sitting around.

[quote name='needler420']lol seems everyone cares about the bonus content more then the cause.[/QUOTE]

its half and half for me. Honestly i wouldn't have bought most of these or would have waited for a deal on amazon for them. Stuff like blazing souls has been about 20 bucks there before, and other games usually go for cheaper. Im splurging since its for a good cause and picking up some stuff i normally wouldn't (rocking pretty.. figure my niece might like it)

[quote name='belisarius']Well shoot. :( Sorry about that. Some of those titles were pretty old, though. We only had a few copies sitting around.[/QUOTE]

ya, its just too bad that the site doesn't update the stock until your ready to pay. Guilty gear and jake hunter were 2 i actually wanted to try out, theresia was an inpulse splurge. Ah well i wound up blowing $365.34 after tax =)

Little extras like artbooks and LE packaging really draw me in for some reason, im a friggin sucker for them.. not sure why. They usually sit around the shelf but i do love my omake junK! heh i even got 2 copies of deathsmiles LE even though i already have 1

I just want to say that 999 is one of THE BEST gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Anyone who owns a DS, or anyone who loves a great story and interesting characters really owes it to themselves to buy this game.

[quote name='jubeininja69']so when does stuff usually get shipped? do you guys send out tracking numbers?[/QUOTE]
We don't send out tracking numbers, unfortunately. Usually things are shipped out more or less the day the order is placed, but there has been, shall we say, a sudden increase in order volume, which means that it may take somewhat longer. I believe you'll receive an e-mail from PayPal when your order ships. As to how long it will take to get to you...I'm not sure. We're in California, and we ship via USPS Priority Mail. I would guess maybe a week, at the long end, like if you live on the east coast or in Alaska or something? Probably only a couple days if you're close.

bread's done
Back