Aksys "Japan Benefit Sale"

DarkonJohn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Just saw this on the Aksys twitter feed:

http://www.aksysgames.com/2011/03/16/japan-benefit-sale/

As most of you, I’m sure, already know, the country of Japan was recently hit by a serious earthquake, followed by an even more devastating tsunami. We decided we wanted to do something to help. Our CEO, Akibo Shieh, had this to say:

The thoughts and prayers of our staff are with the people of Japan. We have many friends, relatives, and business partners who have found themselves suddenly faced with a level of tragedy that most of us can scarcely imagine. The scale of destruction is immense, but we have no doubt that with a combined effort it can be reversed, and every contribution—no matter the size—will play an important part in doing so. We can all play a part in helping Japan overcome this crisis.
With that in mind, we at Aksys Games would like to announce the following sale. It will run from today until March 24th, and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to charity efforts in Japan. If you can’t afford to buy anything, spread the word. Together, we can help.

Head to our store to check out the items on sale, or hit the jump for a list.

DS

Laevatein – $19.99 (same price, but now includes plastic folder and artbook)
Princess on Ice – $12.99 (was $15)
River City Soccer Hooligans – $14.99 (was $19.99)
Rockin’ Pretty – $12.99 (was $15)
Super Dodgeball Brawlers – $12.99 (was $15)
theresia – $14.99 (was $20)
World Cup of Pool – $7.99 (was $9.99)
PSP

Blazing Souls Accelate – $29.99 (was $39.99)
Gladiator Begins – $29.99 (was $39.99)
Mimana Iyar Chronicle + CD – $19.99 (was $29.99)
Jikandia + Phone Strap/Cleaner – $34.99 (New!)
PS3

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift + Vol. 1 & 2 of the CD Soundtrack – $29.99 (was $39.99)
Xbox 360

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger + Vol. 1 & 2 of the CD Soundtrack – $19.99 (was $35)
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift + Vol. 1 & 2 of the CD Soundtrack – $29.99 (was $39.99)
Deathsmiles Limited Edition – $29.99 (was $49.99)
Deathsmiles Standard Edition – $19.99 (was $29.99)
Guilty Gear 2: Overture + CD Soundtrack – $14.99 (was $19.99)
Record of Agarest War + Mousepad & Pillow – $39.99 (was $49.99)
Merch

BlazBlue Comic – $12.99 (was $15)

Update: Post #47 confirms that the full amount you pay will be donated, not just the profit.
Update: Post $58 confirms that all items in the store are included for donations and the list above are items that are also being discounted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered River City Soccer and Sports Challenge. I'm a huge mark for Kunio games.

I reeeeally wanted the BlazeBlue stick, but if one more Japanese arcade stick shows up at my house I think my wife is gonna divorce me.

[quote name='Stele']Sorry to burst your bubble[/QUOTE]

If you're going to go on a tirade and rip people for what you consider their ignorance, at least provide sources. Preaching has little effect otherwise.

[quote name='Stele']The Japanese Red Cross and other Japanese non-profits has publicly declared they do not need financial assistance.[/QUOTE]
It looks like the Japanese branch of the Red Cross is still taking donations.

[quote name='Stele']Sorry to burst your bubble, but very likely, NONE of the money Aksys donates will actually be put to use. The Japanese Red Cross and other Japanese non-profits has publicly declared they do not need financial assistance. Of course, the American Red Cross has seen this as a bonanza and is collecting money on their behalf. How much money will the ARC transfer to the JRC? Most likely -- none. The American Red Cross usually gets the lionshare of all public donations for large disasters -- see 9/11, Katrina (70%) -- and sometimes spends hundreds of millions on marketing alone after large disasters to raise funds. The AMR used about 1/5 of the donations it received on 9/11 actually for the crisis. The rest of the money went into their reserves for purposes like paying a $2m severance package to its CEO after she was ousted for the 9/11 scandal (her annual salary before 7 figures). You know what happens when you donate blood to the ARC? They resell it to hospitals at exorbitant prices.

So let's come back to reality -- you're buying games for a console you don't have not because you're contributing to anything but because you're a compulsive videogame hoarder.[/QUOTE]

The money may be misused, but it is still better to give, no matter what the reward or the outcome. Getting a bunch of games or swag is a nice bonus.

[quote name='Stele']Sorry to burst your bubble, but very likely, NONE of the money Aksys donates will actually be put to use. The Japanese Red Cross and other Japanese non-profits has publicly declared they do not need financial assistance. Of course, the American Red Cross has seen this as a bonanza and is collecting money on their behalf. How much money will the ARC transfer to the JRC? Most likely -- none. The American Red Cross usually gets the lionshare of all public donations for large disasters -- see 9/11, Katrina (70%) -- and sometimes spends hundreds of millions on marketing alone after large disasters to raise funds. The AMR used about 1/5 of the donations it received on 9/11 actually for the crisis. The rest of the money went into their reserves for purposes like paying a $2m severance package to its CEO after she was ousted for the 9/11 scandal (her annual salary before 7 figures). You know what happens when you donate blood to the ARC? They resell it to hospitals at exorbitant prices.

So let's come back to reality -- you're buying games for a console you don't have not because you're contributing to anything but because you're a compulsive videogame hoarder.[/QUOTE]

You must be fun at parties.

[quote name='GuardianE']Are today's proceeds still going to Japan or was yesterday the last day?[/QUOTE]
To reiterate what someone else also confirmed, yes. Everything you spend through ~5 pm Pacific Time on Thursday, the 24th of March 2011 will be donated.

bItWA.jpg

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']How long does shipping take usually? Just curious because my Blazblue has not arrived yet and I ordered it I think about a week ago. Not complaining at all, just want to make sure it gets here.[/QUOTE]
We ship USPS Priority Mail, so usually things show up 2-3 days after they're sent. Because of the sale, however, a lot of things have been shipping out later than they usually do, which could be why your stuff hasn't shown up yet. If you can PM me with your PayPal e-mail and your order number (or transaction number, or whatever PayPal calls it), I can see if your stuff has shipped yet.

[quote name='Fonz72']The money may be misused, but it is still better to give, no matter what the reward or the outcome. Getting a bunch of games or swag is a nice bonus.[/QUOTE]

I agree! Even if the money goes towards another cause, it's still being used to help people!

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Still got a bit of time...
To buy Agarest War even though it is not the full version or not to buy?[/QUOTE]

Not the full version? o_O

[quote name='belisarius']

We ship USPS Priority Mail, so usually things show up 2-3 days after they're sent. Because of the sale, however, a lot of things have been shipping out later than they usually do, which could be why your stuff hasn't shown up yet. If you can PM me with your PayPal e-mail and your order number (or transaction number, or whatever PayPal calls it), I can see if your stuff has shipped yet.[/QUOTE]

First off high five for that pic. Second off thanks for the response, I got a paypal notice that they shipped I think three days ago but I had problems with amazon and lost packages so I just wanted to have an estimated timeline on when to expect things. So then considering the nasty weather, I should have it before saturday which is awesome.

I'm assuming EYE means "not the full limited edition"... just has some of the extras.

Just received my Deathsmiles LE and Super Dodge Ball DS. Havn't tried either, but can't wait to use the potty so I can rock some Super Dodge Ball!

[quote name='Retom7']I'm assuming EYE means "not the full limited edition"... just has some of the extras.

Just received my Deathsmiles LE and Super Dodge Ball DS. Havn't tried either, but can't wait to use the potty so I can rock some Super Dodge Ball![/QUOTE]
Yeah, poor choice of words on my part, but I was rushing to read as much of CAG as I could before getting changed for squadron PT.

I'm still on the fence about Agarest War, but am leaning towards it since the price of the Naughty Edition went up on Amazon.

And, got my BB:CS and soundtracks in today.

[quote name='mkelehan']Everybody, you've GOT to get 999. I just got what I call the Columbo ending last night (officially the "safe" ending), and this game is amazing. The only one I still need to get is the real ending, and another path showed me half of it... I can't imagine this game getting better, but I'm told it just blows your mind at the end. And I feel confident that it will.

I don't think a game has gripped me this hard since Snatcher. And since you get it for FREE by donating $35 to save human lives, you'd be foolish not to. Foolish, I say![/QUOTE]

Whoa, you already think it's awesome and you haven't gotten the True Ending yet? I want to know what you think once you actually get it - The True Ending MAKES THE GAME.

Think of when the last time something actually lived up to the build-up? 999 does it.

Really digging this sale. Major kudos to Aksys for doing this and I'm hoping the proceeds make it to their destination. Picked up Deathsmiles LE and BB:CS. Really wanted 999 as well, but I'm still playing Theresia and I can only handle so much at once. Once again, thanks Aksys and OP for bringing it to my attention.

[quote name='tossin']Whoa, you already think it's awesome and you haven't gotten the True Ending yet? I want to know what you think once you actually get it - The True Ending MAKES THE GAME.

Think of when the last time something actually lived up to the build-up? 999 does it.[/QUOTE]

That's what I hear, and I got hit with a bunch of work yesterday, which gives me some time to really let everything ELSE sink in before I go to that. Can't freaking wait!

[quote name='belisarius']We've been restocking the stuff that we can, but demand has been...impressive. If something is sold out at this point, it is probably sold out for reals.[/QUOTE]

This might be a silly question, but by "for reals", do you mean for the rest of the sale's duration or for eternity? I didn't realize I wanted Theresia until it was too late.

[quote name='tossin']This might be a silly question, but by "for reals", do you mean for the rest of the sale's duration or for eternity? I didn't realize I wanted Theresia until it was too late.[/QUOTE]

Most likely for eternity. For theresia, at least, I know that there simply are no more copies, and a reprint is unlikely.

I bought Agarest War just now. As soon as I finalized the paypal, I instantly regretted it buy oh well. I'd rather buy it right now on sale than later at a higher price. Doesn't seem like it's getting cheaper.
And if down the line I come across a Naughty Edition on the cheap, I'll just keep the box and soundtrack and part out the game and other items.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']I bought Agarest War just now. As soon as I finalized the paypal, I instantly regretted it buy oh well. I'd rather buy it right now on sale than later at a higher price. Doesn't seem like it's getting cheaper.
And if down the line I come across a Naughty Edition on the cheap, I'll just keep the box and soundtrack and part out the game and other items.[/QUOTE]
I think you must have gotten in just under the wire. I changed the price back to the non-sale one like 5 minutes ago.

Aaaaand it's done.

Thanks to all of you who participated! Hopefully you got some deals you liked. We're still tallying up the exact numbers, but I can tell you right now that you raised more than $34,000 for earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan. Way to go!

[quote name='belisarius']I think you must have gotten in just under the wire. I changed the price back to the non-sale one like 5 minutes ago.[/QUOTE]
:lol: I was hoping when I went to the page to look at it admiringly again, that the sale would be over, so it would be outta my hands. But it wasn't. So I panicked. But at least the money went to charity right? It will be a good excuse when it gets here. It's what I told the wife when she say the transaction on our bank account.
"What's that huh? More games?"
"But baby...it's for charity!"

[quote name='belisarius']Aaaaand it's done.

Thanks to all of you who participated! Hopefully you got some deals you liked. We're still tallying up the exact numbers, but I can tell you right now that you raised more than $34,000 for earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan. Way to go![/QUOTE]
Not bad.

Thanks to all of you who participated! Hopefully you got some deals you liked. We're still tallying up the exact numbers, but I can tell you right now that you raised more than $34,000 for earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan. Way to go![/QUOTE]

:applause:

not bad for a bunch of gamers

Have you decided which organization will get the money?

Crossing my fingers; hoping 999 will get here before I go on vacation.

That's really great to hear so much was raised for Japan, and my thanks to all at Aksys that helped put together this benefit sale and all the CAGs that contributed/benefited. I placed two orders and both of them shipped very quickly and were well packed. I've had nothing but 100% positive experiences with you guys. Doing good never felt so good :D:applause:

Got my Blazblue yesterday. Thank you for the sale and I will defiantly have to purchase a game from you guys again. Everything was there as promised and packaged nice and neatly.

Now lets hope I can get a game of blazblue in tonight. Last night every time I tried to get a game going I got interrupted :lol:.

Cool beans. Thanks for coming around to answer the questions on CAG Belisarius. Hope to see a lot more from Aksys soon.

Oh, and if you know a girl named Mary over at Aksys - I think she's in marketing or CS - please inform her that she's awesome too.

Super thrilled about how this worked out. Glad I was able to participate in some little way and amazing thing done by Aksys. (Even though my total contribution was only .2%, but every little bit helps!)

[quote name='belisarius']If any of you were curious, our final number was $34,162.33. There's a post about it over on our site, here.[/QUOTE]
All right ladies and gentlemen, our Japan Benefit Sale is finally over, after a whirlwind…week or so. As Akibo, our CEO, put it:

With our Japan Benefit Sale finished, I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you who participated. With your help, we were able to raise over $34,000—$34,162.33, to be exact. As promised, we will be donating every penny you spent to earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan through the American Red Cross charity organization.

So, thanks everybody! You’re awesome, and I hope you enjoy the stuff you got!

I finally picked up BlazBlue myself through this offer. Thanks for the great motivation to share!

I got my order today but I'm a bit confused. I ordered BlazBlue: Continuum Shift + Vol. 1 & 2 of the CD Soundtrack but I got the soundtracks for Calamity Trigger? I thought I was going to receive the contiunuum shift soundtrack (or does this not exist)?

Ah dang too late to be a part of this. I was definitely interested in Deathsmiles and a little interested in BlazBlue.

However, it was a really cool thing for the company to do.

[quote name='HunteR7411']I got my order today but I'm a bit confused. I ordered BlazBlue: Continuum Shift + Vol. 1 & 2 of the CD Soundtrack but I got the soundtracks for Calamity Trigger? I thought I was going to receive the contiunuum shift soundtrack (or does this not exist)?[/QUOTE]

The soundtrack is the same for both games. There is only one release, which is the one that came with the Calamity Trigger Limited Edition.

[quote name='whitereflection']The soundtrack is the same for both games. There is only one release, which is the one that came with the Calamity Trigger Limited Edition.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok. I thought each game had their own OST.

So check out what happened:

I ordered the fightstick through this sale on I think the day before it ended. I received it yesterday, remembered to check the "0001-1500" numbering and see this

IMAG0038.jpg

[quote name='Bill Mcdougal']So check out what happened:

I ordered the fightstick through this sale on I think the day before it ended. I received it yesterday, remembered to check the "0001-1500" numbering and see this

IMAG0038.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That... is sexy.

Damn sexy.

That's pretty cool on the fightstick. My buddy managed to get his hands on a Femme Fatale stick that is unnumbered because it was made specifically for Capcom; I thought that was pretty awesome.

I hope my copy of Agarest War gets here today. I want to give it a try.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']So did they print more sticks or did you actually get the first numbered stick?
If so, damn. Nice one.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that it means I actually got the first numbered stick somehow.:cool:

I almost want to avoid playing with it or something :p

bread's done
Back