[Amazon] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles: Collector's Edition ($99.99)- PlayStation 3 Preorder is up

I expected everywhere to be sold out by now...

I'm quite sure the resellers are going to be angry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have a  Namco and Amazon online order in and a Gamestop In-Store order. I secured my copy lol, I'll sort out which one im going with later.

I know they can be awful with customer service and orders and such, but in the end, is the shipment itself better quality than amazon?
Not a chance. Before they put the shipping labels on one of my Wizards Editions, a hole was poked all the way through the outer box, and straight into the NNK box. They covered the hole with the shipping stickers and sent it off.

A 2nd Wizards Edition had the outer box put together improperly, it was crooked but they taped it up that way and sent it and it got crushed.

Luckily my 3rd copy was pristine.

Instore pickup is better for those.

I learned my lesson about buying steelbooks online.

Cheap packaging + long distance = bad
I went in and reserved one today--along with Dark Souls II CE. The people at that Gamestop think I'm a pain in the ass because I nit-pick everything I buy and make them grab me a different copy over extremely minor defects haha.

I went in and reserved one today--along with Dark Souls II CE. The people at that Gamestop think I'm a pain in the ass because I nit-pick everything I buy and make them grab me a different copy over extremely minor defects haha.
The people at Gamestop should make sure that expensive items get the treatment that they deserve.

I hate receiving damaged CEs , especially the Steelbook ones :(

The people at Gamestop should make sure that expensive items get the treatment that they deserve.

I've more than once missed a small defect and gone back in from the car for them to swap it out. They're cool about it, but you can see the "Oh, FFS" all over their face. :3

i still remember the scratches i got from the ni no kuni steelbooks at gs

i still remember the scratches i got from the ni no kuni steelbooks at gs
Yeah, I had the guy look through every single copy they had to get the best one. I'm glad I got there right after they opened, so I had the full stock of them to choose from. lol

Yeah, I had the guy look through every single copy they had to get the best one. I'm glad I got there right after they opened, so I had the full stock of them to choose from. lol
I'm starting to think I should hold off on steelbooks and buy them later from collectors.

Of course I'll have to pay more , but it's a PITA to keep returning steelbooks either through shipping or going back to the store.

Sometimes the store might not have anymore so you are stuck with a damaged one or just return it to get a refund.

I guess I'm busy enough as it is right now so I don't have the time to get a steelbook replaced the same day I get ( and if I wait , no more steelbooks might be left).

i didn't find out until i got home, i did not want to go back to make a switch, because it was snowing on that day, where i live

I'm starting to think I should hold off on steelbooks and buy them later from collectors.
Of course I'll have to pay more , but it's a PITA to keep returning steelbooks either through shipping or going back to the store.

Sometimes the store might not have anymore so you are stuck with a damaged one or just return it to get a refund.
i always make sure to go there early, at the time store opening on release date. if picking up something physical like the steelbooks. since the gs i go to opens up pretty early around at 9:00 am

Normally I'm at school or work so I can't make it in time.
it may sound stupid, or bad, but i stopped by on the way to my class a few times just to pick it up, and get to class late. LOL

90% of the steels I buy are imports, anyway--we get fuck all for steels in the US--so it's not normally a situation where I need to go somewhere on time. I just badger the hell out of the sellers for them to look it over with a fine-toothed-comb and give them exact instructions on how to ship it. That is a pain in the ass, too, but not nearly as much as having to drive around to different places to get there when they open.

90% of the steels I buy are imports, anyway--we get fuck all for steels in the US--so it's not normally a situation where I need to go somewhere on time. I just badger the hell out of the sellers for them to look it over with a fine-toothed-comb and give them exact instructions on how to ship it. That is a pain in the ass, too, but not nearly as much as having to drive around to different places to get there when they open.
i just wish the US would start getting those better collectors edition that europe/Asia gets.

i just wish the US would start getting those better collectors edition that europe/Asia gets.
It would certainly save a lot of money. A large chunk of the cost is the damn international shipping cost, so getting it locally would end up cutting out a lot of money in the long run.

Yeah, no way I can justify the extra $60 for four figures, two incomplete soundtrack CDs, and a booklet. That's nuts. To give you an idea, those figures, part of a line called "Ichiban Kuji" here in Japan, generally have a market value of roughly $5 each.
Thanks for the heads up. I cancelled my Amazon order. I thought these would be high quality figures but if their $5 each I don't see the premium and I didn't really care for the book or soundtrack if I had to pay extra.

Thanks for the heads up. I cancelled my Amazon order. I thought these would be high quality figures but if their $5 each I don't see the premium and I didn't really care for the book or soundtrack if I had to pay extra.

Yea only thats now true. If they were sold individually yes, but they are not produced for individual sale. Even in Japan, so they maintain the value since they are sold in a set. Would be a different story if you could buy them individually, whether Japan or US.

Not a chance. Before they put the shipping labels on one of my Wizards Editions, a hole was poked all the way through the outer box, and straight into the NNK box. They covered the hole with the shipping stickers and sent it off.

A 2nd Wizards Edition had the outer box put together improperly, it was crooked but they taped it up that way and sent it and it got crushed.

Luckily my 3rd copy was pristine.
so you were not able to make profit by selling them....... :bomb: :whee:

Yea only thats now true. If they were sold individually yes, but they are not produced for individual sale. Even in Japan, so they maintain the value since they are sold in a set. Would be a different story if you could buy them individually, whether Japan or US.
I wasn't looking for something limited. I just wanted a high quality figure closer to pvc so I could display it instead of a cheaper plastic figure. Even though the figures in this set is "rare", I could put that $60 towards a really good PVC figure for display which cost around $80.

I know people want things in great condition, but having worked in retail, people like that are a pain in the ass to deal with. Anything minutia-related can be irritating. I'm sure they do it because the "customer is always right" mantra, but I can tell you it definitely grates on them most likely.

Retailers have not gotten complete info yet. Preorder any retail ship gonna get you the same collectors and DLC. Hope this helps!

I know people want things in great condition, but having worked in retail, people like that are a pain in the ass to deal with. Anything minutia-related can be irritating. I'm sure they do it because the "customer is always right" mantra, but I can tell you it definitely grates on them most likely.
When a company doesn't ship a product correctly or sells damaged goods , the customer should complain.

Why would someone pay full price for a damaged CE?

If I decide resell any of the CEs that I bought , I make sure to use a sturdy box and lots of bubble wrap , packaging peanuts , etc. and not a thin envelope that has a some bubble wrap glued inside.

Normally when I buy a CE from a company like NISA , they tend to package it very well unlike other distributors like Gamestop and Amazon.

When a company doesn't ship a product correctly or sells damaged goods , the customer should complain.

Why would someone pay full price for a damaged CE?

If I decide resell any of the CEs that I bought , I make sure to use a sturdy box and lots of bubble wrap , packaging peanuts , etc. and not a thin envelope that has a some bubble wrap glued inside.

Normally when I buy a CE from a company like NISA , they tend to package it very well unlike other distributors like Gamestop and Amazon.
That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm talking about customers who are nitpicky in general in-store(not online) and sorting through various things until they get the one they want. Once in a while it isn't a big deal, but it grates on you after a while. The most difficult customers to deal with having worked in retail are ones that nitpick. Even worse than rude and obnoxious ones, because you expect jerks once in a while.

Not saying it isn't a customer's right to at least ask, but I do feel bad having been on the other end telling employees that this CE isn't the one I want because it has a little ding on the corner and to go and swap it out for another. Having been there it makes me think twice is all.

Pre-ordered this instore at gamestop because of the DLC and the Steelbook.  :D  Going to cancel my Club Namco order and debating what to do with my Amazon one.

I stopped by GS on the way home & preordered in store, cancelled my Amazon order when I got home.  That GS has good people working there, they put up a mint Zelda CE for me when most of their shipment came in damaged because I'm in there all the time.  The manager told me today when I placed the preorder that they got corporate to replace the damaged ones so no one got stuck with a dented box, but it was cool that he set me one aside.  I feel much better getting a CE there than from Amazon, especially after the shoddy treatment I got with SMTIV.  

And as for the whole $5 figure thing, is it really reasonable to go by what an item costs in Japan if you don't actually live there?  I'm guessing by the time I imported a $5 item it would cost me significantly more than that.  And I'm not planning a trip any time soon.  ;)

[quote name="ShadowAssassin" post="11137131" timestamp="1381884933"]Been trying to get to the NB Store for hours and it keeps saying connection reset. Is it down for anyone else?[/quote

Namco Bandai store sold out in hours after announcing it. Your best bet is Amazon and Gamestop now. Better hurry

[quote name="ShadowAssassin" post="11137131" timestamp="1381884933"]Been trying to get to the NB Store for hours and it keeps saying connection reset. Is it down for anyone else?[/quote

Namco Bandai store sold out in hours after announcing it. Your best bet is Amazon and Gamestop now. Better hurry
I mean the website isn't loading, but apparently it's just me. It tests fine everywhere else.

I wasn't looking for something limited. I just wanted a high quality figure closer to pvc so I could display it instead of a cheaper plastic figure. Even though the figures in this set is "rare", I could put that $60 towards a really good PVC figure for display which cost around $80.
Now that I can understand.

Namco confirmed at the NYCC panel that there would be a limited edition like ToX. It includes the light novel and soundtrack, just no figures or bigass box. Gonna be ordering this version since I don't care for the trading figures.
Thanks for the info. I pre-ordered the regular version now as well, if it does get listed with everything but the figures I'll go with that as well.

Solution: buy this to keep as a rare piece, and a high quality figure to display :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee:

I wonder why a fansite run by someone in the Philippines seems to be getting a lot of info for NA releases.
I've been told that there are a lot of people from that neck of the woods who are interested when Tales games get an English localization. Reasons seem to range from the language barrier to it being relatively cheap to import from the US to I-JUST-GOTTA-HAVE-EVERY-VERSION-OF-THIS-GAME-WALLET-BE-DAMNED syndrome.

I've been told that there are a lot of people from that neck of the woods who are interested when Tales games get an English localization. Reasons seem to range from the language barrier to it being relatively cheap to import from the US to I-JUST-GOTTA-HAVE-EVERY-VERSION-OF-THIS-GAME-WALLET-BE-DAMNED syndrome.
Yeah I guess that's why there might be some reps that leak info to the guy and his site. I guess NA/EU (and maybe AU) version sales look a lot better for the company than JPN/Asian.

Would also somewhat explain why the actual Namco community manager retweeted this guy when info was tweeted.

Amazon is taking some time to sell out of its 5000 allotment even with no buying limit. Odd -- the Namco store sold out in a day and had a limit of 2 per order.

Maybe Play Canada didn't get the memo about this being on Amazon or Amazon is taking more orders than CEs they are getting.

Amazon is taking some time to sell out of its 5000 allotment even with no buying limit. Odd -- the Namco store sold out in a day and had a limit of 2 per order.

Maybe Play Canada didn't get the memo about this being on Amazon or Amazon is taking more orders than CEs they are getting.
are you just assuming NB/Amazon/GS get an equal allotment of 5000 each?

Didn't want to, but ordered one from amazon for my nephew before they sell out.  He is a big Tales fan and his dad is an idiot who couldn't figure out he doesn't need to pay now, even though he knows Amazon doesn't charge until it ships.

bread's done
Back