[Amazon] Tales of Symphonia Chronicles: Collector's Edition ($99.99)- PlayStation 3 Preorder is up

He clearly does it to get under people's skin, but one thing I can't blame him for is the fact that it gets under people's skin in the first place.

It's not like he's bragging about hi-jacking a delivery truck full of games that he stole that he is going to pawn off and doing something illegal.

I've got a Gamestop in store and on-line order in. I've got two to make sure that I get a mint one. Anyone that misses out on the pre-orders can send me a PM if they want my extra copy. I'm expecting both to be mint, but I can't guarantee that. Still, I'm not interested in a flip on ebay for $10 after fees, so I'd rather see my spare go to a CAG.

By "gold box", I believe he meant "Quick Picks", wherein anything in there is 5% off the Amazon price at that time, so he would have gotten it for $94.99.
Yep! It was in my quick picks for $94.99. I know it's not much, but it's something. Plus free shipping/tax where I live. I'm still debating on whether or not I want to stick with the regular edition. It's a HUGE mark-up even with the $5 savings.

Ugh, I wish I had gotten in on this when I had the chance.

I dont' want to get it through GS or Nacmo(Digital River. no thanks)

But, if I have to. Does GS online charge your card right away?

Alright thanks. I went ahead and ordered it with SAVER. So free shipping , no tax, 99.99$ (Oregon).

Hopefully GS doesn't fuck it up in shipment.

Living with no sales tax must feel like heaven.
You'd think that, but we pay out the ass with property tax and income tax. We get highly taxed on every cent earned, as apposed to just on what you'd buy. IE: Most states don't tax groceries, but with a high income tax it's like a 9% sales tax on said groceries and more.

That's not to say that states with just sales tax or income+sales tax are better/worse, just depends on how you add it up. Spoiler: It's all bad

Ugh, I wish I had gotten in on this when I had the chance.

I dont' want to get it through GS or Nacmo(Digital River. no thanks)

But, if I have to. Does GS online charge your card right away?
Gamestop ships CEs WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better than Amazon does, so this isn't exactly a bad alternative.

good preoder this will b rare colectible in future. also if an1 is intersted in 1 piece game 4 3ds i have a copy in MINT condt. pm 4 detail on price etc

Woahhh didn't know they were numbered! So stoked to get mine. Now do I wanna open it or nah?
Yeah but they added another 3000 and if it's like Xillia it's going to be pretty meaningless and post release people were finding them higher than the original announced number.

Which isn't to say it's not worth it, I just don't put any stock in Bandai's numbering of these things. And on that note anyone want to buy my pre-order?

Last edited by a moderator:
Waffling on keeping my preorder. Don't really want to drop that kind of cash right now, but if it is really going to be rare I should probably hold on to it.

Waffling on keeping my preorder. Don't really want to drop that kind of cash right now, but if it is really going to be rare I should probably hold on to it.
I was all about letting it go because I just can't justify that right now. That CE is sexy if a little small. The steelbook is gorgeous.

Yeah but they added another 3000 and if it's like Xillia it's going to be pretty meaningless and post release people were finding them higher than the original announced number.

Which isn't to say it's not worth it, I just don't put any stock in Bandai's numbering of these things. And on that note anyone want to buy my pre-order?
You don't think the possibly printed 3,000 more to meet demand since I haven't seen this available to preorder since the week it went up?

so anyone know if the regular version is going to be like the first print runs for xillia? With the limited edition cover and little atrbook and other junk, or is it just a vanilllar regular copy. Had a copy of the regular and the collectors both ordered. Was gonna pass on the vanillla if its just a plain ps3 game release

So dilemma - I don't want this,but since it's so rare I feel like I have to buy it. It's nice but my backlog is huge and I won't play it for a while. SO HELP!?

so anyone know if the regular version is going to be like the first print runs for xillia? With the limited edition cover and little atrbook and other junk, or is it just a vanilllar regular copy. Had a copy of the regular and the collectors both ordered. Was gonna pass on the vanillla if its just a plain ps3 game release
I've read nothing about a first print limited edition.

You don't think the possibly printed 3,000 more to meet demand since I haven't seen this available to preorder since the week it went up?
Still printing 3,000 more than initially announced. When they've had large stock of units randomly appear down the road all I'm saying is their numbering shouldn't really be relied upon.

Still printing 3,000 more than initially announced. When they've had large stock of units randomly appear down the road all I'm saying is their numbering shouldn't really be relied upon.
It looks like they're sold out now but Xillia's CE was originally 99.99 and everyone here was yelling that it was going to be rare and valuable. Then they lowered the CE price to 59.99 because they had so many in stock. Now looking at eBay, people have "buy it now" for less than the original $100 price.

I think people confuse Limited Edition with Collectors Edition. There is nothing inherently limited about a collector's edition. It's limited to the number they can sell - numbered units notwithstanding.

It looks like they're sold out now but Xillia's CE was originally 99.99 and everyone here was yelling that it was going to be rare and valuable. Then they lowered the CE price to 59.99 because they had so many in stock. Now looking at eBay, people have "buy it now" for less than the original $100 price.

I think people confuse Limited Edition with Collectors Edition. There is nothing inherently limited about a collector's edition. It's limited to the number they can sell - numbered units notwithstanding.
The CE was never $60. You are talking about the 1st print run vanilla edition that came with the dlc. The cheapest way to get the Xillia Collectors Edition from a retail chain was $80 through GCU.

The CE was never $60. You are talking about the 1st print run vanilla edition that came with the dlc. The cheapest way to get the Xillia Collectors Edition from a retail chain was $80 through GCU.
Don't even think that was an option since that didn't start until something like November.

I just checked and my memory was right. Namco's online store had the CE for 59.99.

I posted about it here telling everyone "I told you so". Same thing happened with the other games I listed, all those games people said "OMG IT'S fuckING SOLD OUT" like the "Songbird Edition were not sold out.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/317856-tales-of-xillia-collectors-edition-avaliable-on-gamestopcom/?p=10950856

That's kinda shitty that they're making more, instead of just sticking to what they originally advertised. I get it's not much but it's still going against their original marketing plans. 

And this isn't the first time Namco's gone back on their word (Dark Souls CE). 

I don't mind if they more for the initial batch. What's more shitty is when a company doesn't make enough in the first place and doesn't remedy the situation. Like Ni no Kuni being oversold and having cancelled orders, or Bravely Defaulted coming all crumpled up. Heck, Drakengard 3, announcing pre-order incentives, but be completely sold out before anybody got word.

Making a reprint though, that's a different story. I agree with you there.

Imo the only people hurt by increased numbers are potential flippers, so idgaf.  I'm opening mine to play and enjoy, it doesn't matter to me how many are out there.

Imo the only people hurt by increased numbers are potential flippers, so idgaf. I'm opening mine to play and enjoy, it doesn't matter to me how many are out there.
They (Namco) shouldn't really send a release out to retailers that reads

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles Collector's Edition

More details
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles PS3 Game
5 Chibi Tales of Symphonia Chronicles Figurines
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles Multi-Disc music soundtrack
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles printed novel
Collector's Packaging featuring exclusive artwork by ufotable
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles Steelbook Case
Exclusive Tales of Symphonia Chronicles DLC Theme
Numbered and limited to 15,000 units

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/tales-of-symphonia-chronicles-collectors-edition/112341

^ That's from Gamestop's website today, 02/23 and the game will be released in less then 48 hours.

And then change it to out of 18,000. That is just bad business practices and deceptive no matter what your beliefs are. If they wanted to make 10,000 or 100,000 more that's fine but make them unnumbered or a second edition or something similar.

It just makes me feel like they printed 18,000 at the beginning, instead of printing 3,000 extra like they stated (if they did that the first 15,000 would be out of 15,000 NOT 18,000)

And it shouldn't be Namco's responsibility to have to make extras to cover up for retailers that sold more then their allotment. If Namco decided each retailer got 3,000 and Amazon sold 3,500 how is that on Namco?

But again, if you're opening it up and using it and not looking to profit on it later, who cares?  I honestly couldn't care less if a person who ordered 10 to resell can't triple their money on it.

To be fair, I'll admit I've flipped one or two CE's in the past.  I bought NNK from the US store and from Amazon France and was able to part out the French version for enough to cover both copies.  I still can't believe someone bought that book for $170.  But had they increased the number available, I'd have been happy that more people get to have one.  Yes, I'd have taken a loss, but it would have gien me an extra Wizard's Companion book I could have tossed around.

They (Namco) shouldn't really send a release out to retailers that reads

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/tales-of-symphonia-chronicles-collectors-edition/112341

^ That's from Gamestop's website today, 02/23 and the game will be released in less then 48 hours.

And then change it to out of 18,000. That is just bad business practices and deceptive no matter what your beliefs are. If they wanted to make 10,000 or 100,000 more that's fine but make them unnumbered or a second edition or something similar.

It just makes me feel like they printed 18,000 at the beginning, instead of printing 3,000 extra like they stated (if they did that the first 15,000 would be out of 15,000 NOT 18,000)

And it shouldn't be Namco's responsibility to have to make extras to cover up for retailers that sold more then their allotment. If Namco decided each retailer got 3,000 and Amazon sold 3,500 how is that on Namco?
Here's the thing, and I'm not trying to justify what they're doing, I"m simply explaining it. The profits they make on CE's is much greater than the profits they make on the regular edition. Aluminum cases, pieces of molded plastic, and paper is a lot cheaper than $60. The CE's are massive profit centers. They'll make as many as they can sell.

But again, if you're opening it up and using it and not looking to profit on it later, who cares? I honestly couldn't care less if a person who ordered 10 to resell can't triple their money on it.

To be fair, I'll admit I've flipped one or two CE's in the past. I bought NNK from the US store and from Amazon France and was able to part out the French version for enough to cover both copies. I still can't believe someone bought that book for $170. But had they increased the number available, I'd have been happy that more people get to have one. Yes, I'd have taken a loss, but it would have gien me an extra Wizard's Companion book I could have tossed around.
I've noticed a trend of people that want to own something that's rare and valuable because they can later sell it for a lot of money but they don't like to admit that's why they're buying it. If you look around on various message boards (this one included) you'll see a lot of people saying things like "Too bad, you had your chance now you get nothing and I have my rare item". There's a superiority complex about some of it. I can refer you to a lot of posts like that in the Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition threads from a year ago.

There's massive arrogance and stuck up attitudes when it comes to these things. They're fucking video games, you buy the CE because you really like them but some people buy them because they want to brag.

But again, if you're opening it up and using it and not looking to profit on it later, who cares? I honestly couldn't care less if a person who ordered 10 to resell can't triple their money on it.

To be fair, I'll admit I've flipped one or two CE's in the past. I bought NNK from the US store and from Amazon France and was able to part out the French version for enough to cover both copies. I still can't believe someone bought that book for $170. But had they increased the number available, I'd have been happy that more people get to have one. Yes, I'd have taken a loss, but it would have gien me an extra Wizard's Companion book I could have tossed around.
It has nothing to do with profiting. You don't state a print size months in advance and week before release claim that you printed an additional 3,000 to cover demand, and then claim coincidence that all 18,000 copies are out of x / 18,000 instead of the first 15,000 being out of 15,000.

Even people that by just one, you know, "Collector's" should care about that. If it wasn't numbered no one would care. That should concern people regardless if they open theirs and throw all the contents away or keep it sealed.

Here's the thing, and I'm not trying to justify what they're doing, I"m simply explaining it. The profits they make on CE's is much greater than the profits they make on the regular edition. Aluminum cases, pieces of molded plastic, and paper is a lot cheaper than $60. The CE's are massive profit centers. They'll make as many as they can sell.
And I understand that. But hire someone who understands the demand for your product and set a reasonable print run in the begginning. If Namco didn't understand that they could sell more then 15,000 when they first released the details of the CE they shouldn't be able to revise the press release weeks before launch because their is demand for it.....

And saying that I'd be fine with them selling the contents individually though their store or unnumbered copies through their store or second editions through their store but you can't state that the game includes "X" and not include it, or alter it.

Stating the game is numbered out of 15,000 and ends up being numbered out of 18,000 is the same as saying it comes with a Blu-ray disc with extra features but instead comes with a DLC code with the extra features.

Doesn't each box have # out of 15,000 on it?

I'll probably cancel my preorder. F them and f that and f it all ffff

I have no idea. I just read a post where someone claimed the unboxing they saw had a CE that was out of 18,000 and was reacting to that.
Yes, I believe someone posted this in this thread a little bit back. Go to the 1:20 mark and you'll see it's out of 18k.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/02/19/unboxing-tales-of-symphonia-chronicles-special-edition

IMO you're going to have to go with the assumption that Namco is always going to produce more than they say. They're doing it with every game now.

For the record, I think they should make as many as they'd like but I agree that they shouldn't advertise it as a limited to a certain number if they aren't going to honor that. It almost seems like false advertising IMO.

bread's done
Back