CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)

LINK

Trade in any 4 games, get a bonus $20 off a select new release

Trade in any 2 games, get a bonus $10 off a select new release

Trade in any four games through Amazon.com's Video Games Trade-In store before April 12, 2009 and in addition to your Amazon.com Gift Card, you'll receive $20 off a select new release title in the Video Games store. Don't have 4 games you want to trade in? Trade in any two games before April 12, 2009 and you'll receive $10 off a select new release.

[quote name='mbeno13']You know this is Amazon that we are dealing with and not evil Gamestop. I find it funny that everyone is already trying to look for a way to scam Amazon into making money off of this deal instead of helping to grow the business in hopes of putting a dent in the marketshare of Gamestop. This is exactly why Amazon will fail and Gamestop will continue their monopoly of the used game market.[/QUOTE]

It's actually scamming Target/other clean the shelf deals. We're helping them to stock their used selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daminion
Here's a little Gamestop to Amazon comparison that I threw together based on games that I currently own and am considering trading in.

Dollar amounts shown are Amazon TIV / Gamestop Base

Armored Core 4 - $5 / $6
Fable 2 - $8 / $20
Tomb Raider Underworld - $7.25 / $17
Culdecept Saga - $10 / $5

Skate - $6.50 / $10
Turok - $4.50 / $6
COD WoW - $21 / $19.25
F.E.A.R. - $6.50 / $4.75
Resistance 2 - $14.75 / $23

No More Heroes - $5.75 / $9

At first glance it looks like Gamestop will beat the crap out of Amazon's TIVs. And they do for everything but, surprisingly, Culdecept.

But don't overlook Amazon completely.

Take this scenario:

Trade in to Gamestop:
Armored Core 4 - $6
Culdecept Saga - $5
Turok - $6
F.E.A.R. - $4.75
=$21.75 * 1.5 = $32.63

Trade in to Amazon:
Armored Core 4 - $5
Culdecept Saga - $10
Turok - $4.50
F.E.A.R. - $6.50
=$26 +$20 = $46.00

With this promo, and at least with this scenario, Amazon wins. I'd never trade in any large value games since the current GS promo bumps those TIVs up really well. But for lower priced games it's not a bad deal at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really its Gamestop 32.63 store credit compair to 26.00 store credit amazon and 20 bucks off a game...

its not 46 bucks you can just go out and blow on anything you want sadly

is 20 bucks off a game of a certain list.. NOT 20 extra bucks to blow on any game

now if you was plannin on buying one of the games on the list , then year maybe its a good deal, otherwise it still sucks

Interesting deal... seems like ebay would be a better way to go, but there's also the pain involved with doing it...

Hmm... so analyzing what I would do... I could trade 2 of my Wii games and 2 of my PS3 games and get Killzone 2 for about 2 bucks.

Or, I could sell them on Ebay for about $68 and buy Killzone 2 for $53, and probably have money left over after ebay fees. Even still I can wait until Killzone 2 is cheaper and I actually have time to play it...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mbeno13'] everyone is already trying to look for a way to scam Amazon into making money off of this deal [/QUOTE]

If people put in the effort to min/max and make a profit for themselves, that is IN NO WAY SCAMMING AMAZON.

Amazon has listed their TIVs, if users can find a way to take advantage of those listed TIVs to make money, good for them. I don't have the time for min/maxing TIVs and living in CA the sales tax makes things like Target/CC worthless in terms of bargains. (8.xx% tax on everything!) not to mention San Francisco is full of savvy gamers who buy up every good deal long before I get out of work.

[quote name='daminion']Look, see my comparison post above. I'm well aware how their TIVs stack up. You do not pay directly for shipping and indicating as such is deceptive to anyone who is considering this.

From their FAQ

If you are smart about what you trade in you may be able to take advantage of Amazon's trade in program. All the info you need is available on CAG if you do a little digging. In the example I provided above it's clearly in my interest to trade those games into Amazon instead of Gamestop.[/quote]

Taking things as you read them is okay. But once again there is a reason why their base TIV is less than places like Gamestop. Its becuase they aren't telling you they are subsidizing the cost of shipping out of your TIV. You must think they can let you print USPS labels for free at no cost to them. The $20 promo is a good deal currently if you have the right titles from say Target clearances to flip. Otherwise one is way better off selling their newer, hotter titles on Amazon Marketplace.

[quote name='expane']If people put in the effort to min/max and make a profit for themselves, that is IN NO WAY SCAMMING AMAZON.

Amazon has listed their TIVs, if users can find a way to take advantage of those listed TIVs to make money, good for them. I don't have the time for min/maxing TIVs and living in CA the sales tax makes things like Target/CC worthless in terms of bargains. (8.xx% tax on everything!) not to mention San Francisco is full of savvy gamers who buy up every good deal long before I get out of work.[/quote]

It's like it's our responsibility as informed gamers to ensure that places like Gamestop maintains profitability...At least that's what that guy believes.

Really, Gamestop and Amazon are businesses looking to make money off of people's stupidity and/or "needs". It's not our responsibility to ensure their policies are foolproof. If they create a policy that makes them lose money, that's their problem, not mine. I'll take money from them, just as they'd take money from me.

[quote name='freshzen']$20 off Sonic Genesis Collection? I'm going to look for a way to exploit this :)

Technically they aren't supposed to accept more than 1 copy of any game in trade in, but its YMMV.[/quote]

I await with bated breath!

I've been splitting my games between ebay and Amazon so far. The games which have little value on ebay (ssx blur, skate, Bourne conspricy etc., games which you can find cheap on clearence.) are perfect for amazon. If I sold these games on ebay I would be lucky to make 2-5 bucks due to fees, ebays new shipping rules and my time. This allows me to offload games which have little value for a decent amount. There were at least 3 games on the Amazon list which I want so this works perfect for me. I even sold Tigerwoods 07 wii to Amazon for $9. I still sell newer releases on ebay.

People also have to realize that amazon sells games a lot cheaper than Gamestop, which reduces the price for new games by $5. Hence the slightly reduced TIV.

[quote name='thehoweller']It's like it's our responsibility as informed gamers to ensure that places like Gamestop maintains profitability...At least that's what that guy believes.

Really, Gamestop and Amazon are businesses looking to make money off of people's stupidity and/or "needs". It's not our responsibility to ensure their policies are foolproof. If they create a policy that makes them lose money, that's their problem, not mine. I'll take money from them, just as they'd take money from me.[/quote]

Man you must be so jaded about consumerism. I mean businesses "take" your money for services and products that you buy, and it's not like they're stealing from you.

Yeah I just don't have the time to do all that running around to make a few bucks. I can see trying to stick it to the man at Gamestop but Amazon has always been the best company to me in terms of service and prices. I just want to see Amazon succeed in the used game business so the consumers in the end benefit and have more choices.

Maybe a stupid question, but when they say a game must be the exact version shown on amazon, do they mean that a game cannot be greatest hits etc?

[quote name='disillusion386']Man you must be so jaded about consumerism. I mean businesses "take" your money for services and products that you buy, and it's not like they're stealing from you.[/QUOTE]

min maxing TIVs has nothing to do with stealing, or scamming. It requires effort to min/max. some people have the time and dont mind running around to make a few dollars. I don't have that kind of time, but more power to them.

[quote name='TekJansen']Maybe a stupid question, but when they say a game must be the exact version shown on amazon, do they mean that a game cannot be greatest hits etc?[/quote]

Anyone know?

This is a pretty good deal, if you have crap that Amazon is accepting, and it all reaches the minimum amount. Some of these TIVs, though, are really bad. $8 for Fable 2? Sheesh.

I would assume Greatest Hits version are fine. They share the same UPC as the original versions. I'm sure they are talking about limited editions and such.

I didn't realize they took in some older gen stuff too. I typed in Kirby and looks like they take NES, GB/GBC, etc. Not bad - but unlikely most people have case/manual for most of those.

[quote name='TekJansen']Maybe a stupid question, but when they say a game must be the exact version shown on amazon, do they mean that a game cannot be greatest hits etc?[/QUOTE]

Yes it has to be the exact version shown. I am seeing 2 listings and with different prices for certain GH games. And some games they will only take the budget re-release version of (ie. Forza 2).

Can you trade in 2,3,4 multiples and still qualify for their deal? What if a game costs $19.99, will the $20 still come off?

I'm trading mlb 08 the show, wii play, luigi's mansion and star wars battlefront (ps2) to get Phantasy Star Portable for free :). I would get street fighter iv, but I want the pc version (I have a 360, but I can play on pc with my 360 controller and better graphics). Hopefully some of these games will have price drops by the time the coupons are out.

good chance to get rid of all my old ps2 and psp games!
I think Gamestop might give more money but Amazon credit has a lot more usage and better deals to use them on

I noticed that they are accepting Nintendo 64 games now, but only a small set of them and apparently still only with box and manual. In any case with lousy trade-in values. I can't imagine that this trade-in thing is going to be a success. If you are going to go through the trouble of looking up values on their site, finding out which they'll accept and then shipping them games, then why not just sell the games on ebay and get substantially more money for them, plus be able to spend that money on anything anywhere? It just doesn't make much sense.

Ya know, Im trying to want in on this deal..but I'd only get rid of 4 games and get the $20..and only end up with 1 game.

I mean, maybe if I found a good clearance and was able to trade in..but still.

[quote name='mbeno13']You know this is Amazon that we are dealing with and not evil Gamestop. I find it funny that everyone is already trying to look for a way to scam Amazon into making money off of this deal instead of helping to grow the business in hopes of putting a dent in the marketshare of Gamestop. This is exactly why Amazon will fail and Gamestop will continue their monopoly of the used game market.[/QUOTE]

Nope - it'll fail because the majority of Gamestop trade-ins come from unsavy people who want easy trades and instant gratification. If you are wise enough to do the Amazon trade in route, you would most likely just go straight to ebay since they sell for 2/3x as much even with stock pictures and no effort. Or if you don't like ebay, something like goozex or gametz. I don't see what portion of the market Amazon hopes to get - the "I'm smart enough to use mail in internet trades but I'm not smart enough to see I'm getting gouged" crowd.

Not to say there aren't going to be deals like this that can be exploited, but this isn't going to hurt Gamestop at all.

1) How is buying something low and selling it high "scamming" anyone? This was a somewhat open market last time I checked. Anyone can pretty much buy anything they want and sell it to pretty much anyone they want. Do you think Amazon cares where you a got a copy of a game from or how much you paid for it? Not at all. They have a set TIV, and you're gonna get that TIV, whether you paid $60 for the game when it came out or just got it for $5 from a clearance rack. "Scamming" would involve some kind of deception. There is no deception here.

2) And yeah, Amazon won't put a dent into GameStop. And if they did, who cares? They are just as bad as GS with some of these TIVs. The only real benefit is that Amazon credit generally is more useful than GS credit. And as was pointed out, GameStop makes their largest profits off of the lazy, uninformed, and non-savvy. This type of set-up really won't draw them in.

I spent a hour yesterday looking at which older sports titles they accept and I came to the conclusion that with rare exceptions they just don't accept old common games. I couldn't find a single cheap sports title from GS that they accept.

[quote name='stoned99']I spent a hour yesterday looking at which older sports titles they accept and I came to the conclusion that with rare exceptions they just don't accept old common games. I couldn't find a single cheap sports title from GS that they accept.[/QUOTE]

Sorry you wasted your time, we could have told you that before you went looking :)

If someone has Zelda MM and the OG box and manual, why on earth would they trade it into Amazon for pennies on the dollar when they could get AIG rich off ebay w/ mint condition classics?

That is like trading in a 1992 BMW in mint condition to a Dodge Mini van dealer for $2000 credit towards your crappy new mini van that will lose 85% of it's value the minute you drive it off the lot.

KEEP YOUR BEEMERs or sell it yourself!

[quote name='Josehaha60']lol gamestops last buy 2 used games, get 1 free, kills this deal .[/quote]

Umm these are two different deals, for the amazon deal you are just trading in things to get $20 off a new game so you could trade in old sports titles and get $20 off a new game. With the Gamestop deal you are buying two things.

[quote name='KaitouDark']Umm these are two different deals, for the amazon deal you are just trading in things to get $20 off a new game so you could trade in old sports titles and get $20 off a new game. With the Gamestop deal you are buying two things.[/quote]

Agreeance, I feel this deal kicks the crap out of the Gamestop B2G1 free. I hate used games, I love making money off of companies' poor policies...And getting Halo Wars (Limited Edition) for 42 bucks isn't too bad :p

Now if I can just find 4 copies of "The Godfather", I'll be set.

Nothing beats a GS B2G1 when you find three near-mint, recently released games. It was great walking out of the store with Fallout 3, Guitar Hero World Tour, and EndWar for about $100 around the beginning of November. Saved me about $80 on three new games that I wanted a lot.

Of course, I still don't know what the other poster was talking about, considering these are two different promotions. I'm going to assume he means it's still better to flip at GS when they have a promo and then use the credit during a B2G1.

Man their values fluctuate pretty rapidly. Yesterday I was going to trade in my copy of Resident Evil: Code Veronica on the GameCube since I was gonna get $24 for it. Today I find another game I'm gonna throw in so go to add it, and I find out Code Veronica is down to $10.

I gotta hand it to them for being on top of their game in TIVs, but they really have to give a few more incentives on some games, especially the older ones.

Wow there is some serious rapege going on w/ these TIVs

The Orange Box
PLAYSTATION 3

Trade-in Value:
$4.00

I guess it's better than nothing?

[quote name='expane']Wow there is some serious rapege going on w/ these TIVs

The Orange Box
PLAYSTATION 3

Trade-in Value:
$4.00

I guess it's better than nothing?[/quote]

I find it funny that DW6 gets like 14+ from Amazon but a good game gets less.

Oh and GotY COD4 is less then COD4 on the :360: by a lot

[quote name='gsr']it's a ripoff if you can't exploit it? lol...[/quote]

Well, the idea I think we all had was that Amazon would be competitive with, or even beat, GameStop in trade-in values. Look at FallOut 3.

Now, for some weird reason GS has taken down their Trade-In Value page (or they redid it because it's not at the usual place), but I would safely wager that it gets quite a bit more than $12.50. As of 3/20 GS gave $22 for the PS3 version. I know we can make a lot of arguments, such as that GS forces us to put it towards games/accessories/other game related stuff, but I'd be willing to bet most gamers would take $22 (plus potential Edge and promo) in GS credit for a new game as opposed to $12 universal. I know they need to be careful, but they also need to be competitive.

So I think I actually might take advantage of this. With GS's 20% off GC games coupon, I'll most likely flip 2 games and add 2 games I already have. So hello Madworld!

[quote name='disillusion386']So I think I actually might take advantage of this. With GS's 20% off GC games coupon, I'll most likely flip 2 games and add 2 games I already have. So hello Madworld![/QUOTE]

So what GC games do you think will flip ?

RE0: $10 (w/ GS discount) --> $8 Amazon TIV + $5 promo
Sonic Adventure DX Director's Cut: $9 (w/ GS discount) --> $4.50 + $5

I know it's not a lot, but it's something. Plus, I really want to get rid of Wii Sports and Wii Play that I already have. I'm going to see if I can find a better flip than Sonic Adventure though.

[quote name='disillusion386']RE0: $10 (w/ GS discount) --> $8 Amazon TIV + $5 promo
Sonic Adventure DX Director's Cut: $9 (w/ GS discount) --> $4.50 + $5

I know it's not a lot, but it's something. Plus, I really want to get rid of Wii Sports and Wii Play that I already have. I'm going to see if I can find a better flip than Sonic Adventure though.[/quote]

If you can find it, NHL Hitz 2003 is $1.99 at GS and gets $4.50 at Amazon, so Edge + coupon makes it $1.60, though this game is rare around my area, and even rarer to find it complete. I think there's one in the 100 mile store locator, and I haven't even called to verify that it's complete.

where you guys finding the trade in value? Are there excluded titles like gamestop? :lol: Otherwise trading the 4 sports titles for PS2 to get $20 off sounds too good to be true

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, if they aren't even going to be competitive with GS TIVs (which people already complain about it) this venture is going to die out real quick.[/QUOTE]

I think Amazon is banking on getting people to trade in their games because they can use the credit towards a wide range of items on Amazon.

But their TIVs are still ridiculously bad. They are offering $18 for RE5... seriously?

bread's done
Back