Amazon Warehouse Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received my $135 360. Box was in fine shape - a few creases and small tears, and resealed, but if I saw it in a retail store I wouldn't complain.

System was well-packed, complete, and all accessories appear spotless. Best of all, the system is a FALCON unit (175w)! The only negative is that it appears the case has been opened. There are a series of minor marks along seal points on the back. I have it up and running now - appears to be working fine. If the case HAS been opened, I'm a little nervous about the warranty, but for $135... thoughts?

Overall - better shape than advertised.

EDIT: Yeah, the warranty seal on the inside of the faceplate is broken. Hmmm... decisions, decisions. On one hand it's a falcon, and should be reliable, but on the other hand why would someone have opened it and then returned it?

[quote name='gkrykewy']Just received my $135 360. Box was in fine shape - a few creases and small tears, and resealed, but if I saw it in a retail store I wouldn't complain.

System was well-packed, complete, and all accessories appear spotless. Best of all, the system is a FALCON unit (175w)! The only negative is that it appears the case has been opened. There are a series of minor marks along seal points on the back. I have it up and running now - appears to be working fine. If the case HAS been opened, I'm a little nervous about the warranty, but for $135... thoughts?

EDIT: Yeah, the warranty seal on the inside of the faceplate is broken. Hmmm... decisions, decisions. On one hand it's a falcon, and should be reliable, but on the other hand why would someone have opened it and then returned it?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps to swap out the innards of a non-falcon unit. Paranoia, learn to love it. ;)

[quote name='Cmosfm']Perhaps to swap out the innards of a non-falcon unit. Paranoia, learn to love it. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ooooooh.. I didn't even think of that. Well, the 175W power supply powers the unit, so I think it's a falcon inside and out.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Just received my $135 360. Box was in fine shape - a few creases and small tears, and resealed, but if I saw it in a retail store I wouldn't complain.

EDIT: Yeah, the warranty seal on the inside of the faceplate is broken. Hmmm... decisions, decisions. On one hand it's a falcon, and should be reliable, but on the other hand why would someone have opened it and then returned it?[/QUOTE]

Do you have to open units to mod them? Perhaps somebody modded it, got tagged and had the unit banned from Live, and returned it for that reason. Although if you have Live and it works, that would shoot that theory down.

I got the Eye of Judgement bundle from Amazon Warehouse and it was great. There was a crack along the left side of the packaging, but everything was still inside untouched and it was great to get this for $20 off MSRP w/free shipping and no tax!

[quote name='Trenchalicious']Dogs, Chicks, or Damaged Warehouse consoles.[/quote]

oooh get a pic of a dog chasing his tail around ur console with a chick in the background....three birds one stone?!?

[quote name='Trenchalicious']Dogs, Chicks, or Damaged Warehouse consoles.[/QUOTE]

System on box:
DSCN1860.jpg

Plastic marks visible along rear seam, from when console was opened:
DSCN1861.jpg

Sticker remnants under faceplate:
DSCN1863.jpg

175w power supply:
DSCN1862.jpg

This is a Falcon - verified by shining a flashlight inside. I still can't figure out why someone would open it and then return it still functional. I've put it through its paces - having it run for 20 hours straight. It does seem to freeze after demoing Virtua Fighter 5 for a couple of hours (twice), but I haven't had any other issues.

[quote name='SNKMat']can I combine a warehouse deal order with an amazon.com order for free shipping?[/quote]

As long as it's all coming from one of Amazon's whse, yes, as far as I know. Oddly, warehouse deals AREN'T eligible for a price match (sorry, I forget what the proper term used at Amazon), so if a new item's priced drops within 30 days of you purchasing the same item from a warehouse deal, that whse item is NOT eligible for the price match.

Granted, I was given this info when I called Amazon's customer service last month. It's always possible if you bitch long enough they might say otherwise.

[quote name='gkrykewy']It does seem to freeze after demoing Virtua Fighter 5 for a couple of hours (twice), but I haven't had any other issues.[/QUOTE]

Okay, it more than freezes with the VF5 demo. I can't get through a single match of VF5 (disc) without it freezing, and it similarly freezes with the VF5 demo, which I downloaded as a test. It seems to work fine with everything else, but this seems to portend bad things. I'll probably return this - Amazon did offer me a 20% refund if I kept it, after I complained about the warranty seal being broken, which makes it tempting to keep just for HD/cables/controller ($109).

[quote name='gkrykewy']Okay, it more than freezes with the VF5 demo. I can't get through a single match of VF5 (disc) without it freezing, and it similarly freezes with the VF5 demo, which I downloaded as a test. It seems to work fine with everything else, but this seems to portend bad things. I'll probably return this - Amazon did offer me a 20% refund if I kept it, after I complained about the warranty seal being broken, which makes it tempting to keep just for HD/cables/controller ($109).[/quote]

I'm sure someone here would send you the $109 plus shipping costs for it rather then have you return it.

You could probably ebay the thing for $200.

the price for repair outside of warranty might still be reasonable enough to have microsoft repair it for you. even if they charged 150, you'd still be well under the normal retail and the used price of a premium/pro.

[quote name='thakingrocka']the price for repair outside of warranty might still be reasonable enough to have microsoft repair it for you. even if they charged 150, you'd still be well under the normal retail and the used price of a premium/pro.[/QUOTE]

I thought they wouldn't even touch it if it had been opened? If I could pay cash for a repair, that would be very helpful to know.

I think I'm going to keep it anyway. I've tried it with literally 10 disc games (COD4, Gears, Ridge Racer 6, Sega Rally, Viva Pinata, Project Sylpheed, WarTech, +) and a bunch of demos (Blue Dragon, DMC4, Sega Superstars Tennis, Ikaruga, +) and I haven't experienced a single problem.

It just freezes during VF5 matches, both in the demo and the disc. I've even tried playing the disc version with the HD disconnected to rule out any kind of HD-related issue, and the same freezing happens.

Basically, the screen freezes as if I'd paused it, and then the music stops a few seconds later. I'd love to find out what's unique about VF5 that could cause this.

Still, given the degree of testing I've done with other games, I'm willing to chalk this up to a random issue rather than imminent hardware failure.

If it does fail, I can just buy a new core/arcade since I'll already have the HD, component cables, etc. But it would be good to know that I'd have the option to pay MS cash for a repair.

Thoughts? I appreciate the help, everyone.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']Maybe try playing VF5 without the HD connected, see if it still freezes then. If it does, you might as well return the game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but like I said (I know it was a long post) I tried that - no dice. Freezes during the demo too, so it isn't the disc. This 360 just doesn't like something about VF5. It literally freezes within a minute of beginning a game, either during the first or second match. But I've tried all those other games/demos for at least 20 minutes each, and there have been no issues.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Okay, it more than freezes with the VF5 demo. I can't get through a single match of VF5 (disc) without it freezing, and it similarly freezes with the VF5 demo, which I downloaded as a test. It seems to work fine with everything else, but this seems to portend bad things. I'll probably return this - Amazon did offer me a 20% refund if I kept it, after I complained about the warranty seal being broken, which makes it tempting to keep just for HD/cables/controller ($109).[/QUOTE]

Did you call the Amazon 800 number to complain, or did you contact them via email?

[quote name='gkrykewy']

Plastic marks visible along rear seam, from when console was opened:
DSCN1861.jpg

[/quote]

That thing's either; modded, been modded and flashed back, been attempted to be modded but got a drive that isn't modifiable, or gut swapped.

Pick your poison.

[quote name='hothitter']That thing's either; modded, been modded and flashed back, been attempted to be modded but got a drive that isn't modifiable, or gut swapped.

Pick your poison.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I'm guessing it's the "attempted" option, as I have no issues playing on Live with it, and I verified with a flashlight that it's a falcon (i.e. not gut swapped).

Oddly, it seems to have problems with games that are 1024x1024 native (VF5 and DOA4).

How would I know if it were modded and flashed back? Someone else suggested that maybe someone swapped out the DVD drive.

I finally got my $127 Xbox 360 today. I was pretty worried after seeing gkrykewy's unit. Turns out mine is a Zephyr HDMI unit manufactured in July that, despite the rough condition of the box, appears to have never been used. Still has the intact Microsoft seal, as well as the plastic film on the IR port, HDD silver strip and controller. Plus, you can just tell by looking at it: no scuffs or wear, bright color, etc. It runs a wee bit quieter than my existing 360 (also a Zephyr HDMI unit, manufactured just a week away from this one). Couldn't be happier.

360-0.jpg

360-2.jpg

360-1.jpg

360-3.jpg

Rozz--

I feel confident saying that this unit has not been used to any extent. It may have been removed from the box and hooked up, but I'm pretty certain it was not played for any period of time. Just because you say "all Warehouse Deals Xbox 360s are refurbs" doesn't make it true. There are a good many items sold through Warehouse Deals that are most certainly NOT refurbs. I've bought plenty of them.

Good deal, marginal. Glad you have the warranty seal intact. Looks like we both made out okay. Yeah, these units are not all refurbs. In fact, I don't think any of them are - Amazon doesn't refurb. Not sure where that silly idea came from.

Those things look more like non-defective returns from customers or just damaged boxes that the warehouse can't really ship out to customers.

gkrykewy probably received a unit returned by a customer who had possibly tampered with it.
marginal probably received a new unit but the box was too beaten up for it to ship out as new to customers.

Looks like marginal got a better deal...

[quote name='gkrykewy']Good deal, marginal. Glad you have the warranty seal intact. Looks like we both made out okay. Yeah, these units are not all refurbs. In fact, I don't think any of them are - Amazon doesn't refurb. Not sure where that silly idea came from.[/quote]

It's not just a "silly idea", I called up Amazon direct and they said every console on Amazon Warehouse Deals is a refurb. They said it's not just a problem with the boxes. Refurbs can be new-looking, too.

[quote name='Rozz']It's not just a "silly idea", I called up Amazon direct and they said every console on Amazon Warehouse Deals is a refurb. They said it's not just a problem with the boxes. Refurbs can be new-looking, too.[/QUOTE]

They were incorrect - simple as that.

[quote name='eau']Those things look more like non-defective returns from customers or just damaged boxes that the warehouse can't really ship out to customers.

gkrykewy probably received a unit returned by a customer who had possibly tampered with it.
marginal probably received a new unit but the box was too beaten up for it to ship out as new to customers.

Looks like marginal got a better deal...[/QUOTE]

I would agree - he got the better deal. Still, a falcon for $109 - I can't complain.

[quote name='Rozz']It's not just a "silly idea", I called up Amazon direct and they said every console on Amazon Warehouse Deals is a refurb. They said it's not just a problem with the boxes. Refurbs can be new-looking, too.[/quote]
I think it's a classic case where the left hand doesn't know squat about the right hand. Especially if the left hand is the customer service in India and the right hand is a warehouse.

[quote name='Rozz']It's not just a "silly idea", I called up Amazon direct and they said every console on Amazon Warehouse Deals is a refurb. They said it's not just a problem with the boxes. Refurbs can be new-looking, too.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Amazon representative doesn't even know what "refurb" means in this case. They may be using it as a synonym for "not new." The more I think about it, gkrykewy is right: not only are not all of these refurbs, but it only makes sense that NONE of them are actual refurbs, for better or for worse. These are returns, damaged-box items, etc. that are from Amazon's own inventory. In some cases, it might be better to have an actual Microsoft-refurbished unit... but either way, I don't think these are.

[quote name='marginal']I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Amazon representative doesn't even know what "refurb" means in this case.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's what I meant.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Thanks, but like I said (I know it was a long post) I tried that - no dice. Freezes during the demo too, so it isn't the disc. This 360 just doesn't like something about VF5. It literally freezes within a minute of beginning a game, either during the first or second match. But I've tried all those other games/demos for at least 20 minutes each, and there have been no issues.[/QUOTE]

I had a very similar issue with my first 360. Would freeze occassionally on Viva Pinata and every single time on Crackdown. All other games (and I play alot) ran fine with no issues. Just those 2 particular games had issues. Crackdown was very reproducable because it would freeze after about 1 minute while Viva Pinata froze after about 10-20 minutes.

Anyway, after a few months of noticing this behavior, my 360 finally red-rings. The replacement from Microsoft runs Viva Pinata and Crackdown fine now. So your issue with VF5 sounds like an indicator of an imminent red ring of death. It was about 3 months after the freezing in Viva Pinata that the 360 finally died.

Can you guys prove they're not refurbs? Refurbs are often in mint condition, and they're refurbished so it starts up like it's brand new.

[quote name='Rozz']Can you guys prove they're not refurbs? Refurbs are often in mint condition, and they're refurbished so it starts up like it's brand new.[/quote]

Can you prove that they are ALL refurbed? I suppose, we could go on like this for awhile...

hmm, I plan on getting a 360 in the coming months, but this just seems a bit dodgy to me. And when they rrod (I'm just assuming they will) you'll be out 130-150 bucks, and then if you pay for repairs, you might as well have gotten a new one. I'm just going on what my friends tell me, since a few of them have gone rrod several times. But how could you pass up on a deal like that, so you guys still did pretty well, but I don't really like to put down $150 without knowing exactly what i am going to get. I am even hesitant to get a new 360 from amazon, seeing that I don't know exactly what model i'm getting (unless there is a way?).

Still good job, I do envy you, if the system lasts until the jasper units come out...

[quote name='Rozz']Can you guys prove they're not refurbs? Refurbs are often in mint condition, and they're refurbished so it starts up like it's brand new.[/QUOTE]

First of all, refurb 360s are NOT often in mint condition. Just look at the units most people have gotten back from Microsoft. They're also NOT often HDMI units, because they're mostly just fixing up older units and sending them back out. But if you want to believe that these are both refurbs then you have to believe the following:

Two consoles manufactured eight months ago and five months ago respectively (with the new heat sinks, and one with the cooler processor) both crapped out and were sent back in for repairs, even though with those manufacture dates, they really could have only seen about six months' use (for mine) and maybe three months' use (for gkrykewy). And we're not even counting turnaround time for Microsoft, which has to be a good month.

One was cared for so delicately by its previous owner--AND by the gentle-handed Microsoft support personnel--that it has nary a scuff or wear mark anywhere on it... unlike most refurbs, which end up with additional wear and marks by the time they make it back to the user, even if the internal contents are fixed. The other was so poorly handled that it did not even receive the Microsoft seal guaranteeing that it had been properly refurbished, which would have to be some kind of violation of Microsoft's own quality control standards.

In addition, you would have to believe that Amazon is in the business of sending units back to Microsoft for refurbishment, and then accepting those units back from Microsoft to sell at a lower price. That's a fine gig for Gamestop (buy low from one customer... sell high to the next), but if Amazon was doing that, don't you think they'd have more than maybe one or two for sale each week?

You're free to believe what you want, and if all this makes the most sense to you, have at it. Personally, it makes much more sense to me that Amazon is just selling its small number of returns, damaged box items, etc. so they don't have to deal with sending the items back to the manufacturer. Especially since EVERY OTHER SINGLE PRODUCT that I've bought from Warehouse Deals has clearly been a damaged box item, missing shrinkwrap but unused item, etc.

V4oLDbOY: speaking only for myself, if my unit did crap out, it would be treated by Microsoft in exactly the same way as the console I purchased new for $349, because it still has the warranty seal. There's no "risk" involved, and I wouldn't be out any money. If you happen to be lucky enough to get one from Warehouse Deals, and you end up not liking it, you can just return it for a full refund. There's nothing dodgy about it.

who cares if it's a refurb or a brand new mint....if it works, it works!

i'm happy for the people who STOLE 360's from amazon basically....

Damn, now that I think about it, if I didn't already own a 360, I would have gladly paid $130 for one. Hell, you'll pay that much to get a broken one shipped to you on eBay.

[quote name='xraytd']I had a very similar issue with my first 360. Would freeze occassionally on Viva Pinata and every single time on Crackdown. All other games (and I play alot) ran fine with no issues. Just those 2 particular games had issues. Crackdown was very reproducable because it would freeze after about 1 minute while Viva Pinata froze after about 10-20 minutes.

Anyway, after a few months of noticing this behavior, my 360 finally red-rings. The replacement from Microsoft runs Viva Pinata and Crackdown fine now. So your issue with VF5 sounds like an indicator of an imminent red ring of death. It was about 3 months after the freezing in Viva Pinata that the 360 finally died.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. If it does die, I'll just buy an arcade/core, keep the HD/cables, and ebay the broken unit as-is for parts. Probably turn a profit. The unit is a Falcon, so I'm a bit more confident about its longevity than I would otherwise be. But I will report back assuming this thread is still alive.

EDIT: Interesting. MS support online indicates that this can occur if the system clock is not set properly. I don't think I bothered to set the clock - I'll have to try that.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']Do the 360s come with the 3 yr microsoft warranty for rrod???[/quote]

I called up, and they said it has the 30-day Microsoft refurbished warranty but said you have to call up Microsoft directly about that specific warranty.

[quote name='Rozz']I called up, and they said it has the 30-day Microsoft refurbished warranty but said you have to call up Microsoft directly about that specific warranty.[/QUOTE]

I posted a lot about the troubles I had with amazon, but all is well now. Its been shipped today, after a lot of phone calls and nasty emails, but its coming.

I spoke to a amazon rep and she said that the item I was ordering did have the manufacture's warranty and that it was just a damaged box item, and that the xbox itself had not been tampered with. But if it is a refurb and/or a open box item and if I call microsoft up and they tell me the warranty is not 3 yr, than back it goes free of charge. So I cant really loose, only gain from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back