AMC's The Walking Dead - S3 2nd half starts 02/10/13 9PM ET

[quote name='PenguinoMF']dude it had zombies in it and they were all like AAGGGHHHH AGGAHHH NOM NOM NOM and everyone was like AHHH BANG BANG SAD TEAR!!!!1111 and did it mentions teh zombies!!! they mad3 a T\/ $h0w w1th z0mb13$ 1n it!!!

seriously just stop watching the show if you don't like it.[/QUOTE]
i watch it cause i love the comics and keep hoping this series will get better but so far its getting worse.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']then cut your losses and quit[/QUOTE]

or you can follow the advice under my screename. just cause you blindly love the show doesnt mean we all should.its a discussion forum if its too much for you stop posting.

Deus ex Abuela!

... And to continue complaining, as requested, the entire scene involving the pseudo gangbangers could have been left out without any ill-effect to the show. It did not develop the main characters, nor did it change anything in the overarching plot.

... And Murral (sp?) is stil unresolved. But why did he have to cut his own hand off? The pipe he was hancuffed too looked pretty small and rusty to me. It would have seemed to be a prime candidate for the hacksaw. But, nope. Instead, we are led to believe that he mustered the strength to saw through his own hand with a leather belt as a turnicate. That he has able to even perform such a feat is astounding, but that he stopped the bleeding and escaped the zombies presumably all around him in the building below is beyond belief. (For a better cinematic protrayal of what would happen in a dismemberment scenario, go watch The Thaw). Somehow this super hick managed to survive the night, the pain, the blood loss, the cardarazation, the zombies...
and sneak through the city to steal the group's truck?

... And then there is the whole issue of the show being a piss poor interpretation, or more appropriately inspired by, the comic of the same name. I really am trying to down play this aspect of displeasure while I watch, but it is difficult.
Suffice to say that during the middle commercial break I really started second guessing whether or not I even wanted to continue to watch this series. Thus far many of these changes to the story just come across as bad storytelling.

[quote name='Kreutz']I really am trying to down play this aspect of displeasure while I watch, but it is difficult. Suffice to say that during the middle commercial break I really started second guessing whether or not I even wanted to continue to watch this series.[/QUOTE]

stop watching.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Oh go fuck myself. Good one.

Seriously why don't you like the show?[/QUOTE]

as far as this episode goes

1. 5 to 8 minutes devoted to fishing talk.

2. stereotypical gang bangers doing hard to believe things.

3. same stereotypes kidnap someone willing to kill them for guns only to be stopped by elderly grandmother.

4.how the fuck can that many old folks survive when millions of younger/better quipped people couldnt?

5.man has psychic dream ......now he goes from being rightfully
crazy to just super prepared.

6.too many moments where they act like zombies arent ruling the word [see complaint #1 for example]

[quote name='lokizz']as far as this episode goes responses in spoiler

1. 5 to 8 minutes devoted to fishing talk. Shows the relationship and age difference between the 2, shows the fear and hope for their parents. Yes, a slow pace but developed the characters

2. stereotypical gang bangers doing hard to believe things. I already commented on this. They are not a gang.

3. same stereotypes kidnap someone willing to kill them for guns only to be stopped by elderly grandmother. compassion and not wanting her to get hurt

4.how the fuck can that many old folks survive when millions of younger/better quipped people couldnt? I might give you this one. Luck? Locked in? Quick action from the few that helped?

5.man has psychic dream ......now he goes from being rightfully crazy to just super prepared. I'll give you the dream thing, too predictable

6.too many moments where they act like zombies arent ruling the word [see complaint #1 for example] Typical problem with zombies. You don't see any zombies for awhile and get lazy and bam zombies are biting you.
[/QUOTE]

So basically you don't like the show because somethings are unreasonable and you can't understand character and plot development. May I suggest you go watch Lost in that case.

I like the show and agree with many of the people here, if you don't like it why post on a thread about the show, just to get a rise out of others who do like it? Few things I didn't get about this episode though was the necklace one sister got to give the other that never materialized into a scene even though it was made such a big deal out of, especially in the department store and was referenced several other times as well. I love the show though and will continue to watch it as long as it is on.

I'm for spirited discussion as much as the next person, though when it degrades to insults and name calling, that's over the line.

Keep it civil in here, if it's not too much trouble. And keep the piracy links out of here as well.

loooooooooool.

This show is fucking awesome and people are complaining about it? The only thing there is to complain about is having to wait another week to see the next episode

Pretty good episode. I agree the escaped one-handed hick seem like it's over reaching. Who wants to take bets that
they'll make him the governor? Instead of Rick getting his hand cut off, it'll be him?

C'mon man, a street gang defending a retirement home? Give me a fucking break.
Like the other guy said,
they weren't a street gang, although they seemed like it. They're just coming back to check on their families. It's amazing there were able to fortify the place and make it zombie proof.

I thought it was a touching scene and it reminded me of my parents in a way (even though they're not incapacitied or bedridden).

I gues it's expected by most poeple that if this happened everyone just say screw it and forget about anyone they have in a home. That whole scene with the stand off in the hospital (I guess it was a hospital) was to show how misunderstandings can lead to trouble. Be honest, who saw the ending to that coming? I expected them to start shooting and it end in a blood bath.

[quote name='Clak']IThat whole scene with the stand off in the hospital (I guess it was a hospital) was to show how misunderstandings can lead to trouble. Be honest, who saw the ending to that coming? I expected them to start shooting and it end in a blood bath.[/QUOTE]
It was way too forced though. I wasn't buying that series of events at all, especially when the black guy said "And what do I tell your family?" At that point, I really thought they were going to devise a plan but to GO BACK, COMPLETELY OUTNUMBERED was utterly stupid. At that point, I lost all interest because you knew the only outcome was a peaceful one. There's no fucking way Rick would have risked his life and ability to ever see his family again like that unless it was a plot device to keep the show moving. Totally unrealistic and complete cop-out.

They were building up such good suspense and I was actually into the show again during the commercial break and they threw it all away.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm for spirited discussion as much as the next person, though when it degrades to insults and name calling, that's over the line.

Keep it civil in here, if it's not too much trouble. And keep the piracy links out of here as well.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, it was really getting ridiculous.
[quote name='lolwut?']loooooooooool.

This show is fucking awesome and people are complaining about it? The only thing there is to complain about is having to wait another week to see the next episode[/QUOTE]

I think the overwhelming popularity of it brings out a certain amount of elitism in people. Kind of along the lines of well if its popular I'm gonna hate it because I'm different.

I have no doubt some of these critics would be singing a different tune if the show was struggling to make it in the ratings.

A good example is Family Guy. When it was about to get cancelled it was the cool show to like because it was the underdog. Now that its back and bigger
[quote name='Jabrim']I like the show and agree with many of the people here, if you don't like it why post on a thread about the show, just to get a rise out of others who do like it? Few things I didn't get about this episode though was the necklace one sister got to give the other that never materialized into a scene even though it was made such a big deal out of, especially in the department store and was referenced several other times as well. I love the show though and will continue to watch it as long as it is on.[/QUOTE]

That's one of the "lesser" things the comic is known for. There's a lot of examples in the comics where something is set up and it never follows through or the person dies. It was definitely a send-up to that.

[quote name='2DMention']Pretty good episode. I agree the escaped one-handed hick seem like it's over reaching. Who wants to take bets that
they'll make him the governor? Instead of Rick getting his hand cut off, it'll be him?

Like the other guy said,
they weren't a street gang, although they seemed like it. They're just coming back to check on their families. It's amazing there were able to fortify the place and make it zombie proof.

I thought it was a touching scene and it reminded me of my parents in a way (even though they're not incapacitied or bedridden).[/QUOTE]
I think my favorite part about that storyline is that you go in absolutely hating the leader. They totally sold him as a complete asshole only to find out he was going above and beyond to protect a retirement community, basically swapping your feelings for him 180 degrees. I think it was one of my absolute favorite storylines so far and it really did a good job of showing an outsiders view to a group of survivors. Such as, if we were watching the show from the retirement community's side of things we'd thing Rick and the gang were complete assholes.

[quote name='Jabrim']I like the show and agree with many of the people here, if you don't like it why post on a thread about the show, just to get a rise out of others who do like it? Few things I didn't get about this episode though was the necklace one sister got to give the other that never materialized into a scene even though it was made such a big deal out of, especially in the department store and was referenced several other times as well. I love the show though and will continue to watch it as long as it is on.[/QUOTE]

I believe that's exactly why they
killed her sister off
. They're trying to tell you not to get too comfy and don't expect things to pan out they way you think they will. That end scene was exactly what the show needed.

COMIC SPOILERS:
And I've been thinking about the retirement home scene, about how totally different that scene would've played out once Rick & the others
start distrusting other people.
Those guys were lucky Rick isn't
damaged goods yet.

This episode was AWESOME! I love this show, sucks season one ends so damn soon!

I literally LOL @
those devil dogs that were going to have Glen fed to them :lol:

just caught up on two episodes at once. Good stuff. I didn't really take issue with the old people or the gang itself even though probably yes maybe half this episode could be ignored to no ill effect on the overall plot. Nevertheless my issue with the gang is that there was no reason for them to mistrust Rick and Crew. What happened on the street was sort of a mess of miscommunication. Not sure why skinny kid thought yelling in the city with Undead walking about was a good idea, not even sure why the other guys thought
kidnapping Glenn was a good idea. Seems to me there should have been a play for the guns, or even your own man rather than the asian kid. (I'll have to rewatch that because it's possible going for the guns if what got homey shot in the buttock)

but still ignoring that bit of sillyness you still have when Rick and Crew meet the gang
and all they want is Glenn back.
Does that sound like marauders and psychotic looter behaviour to you*?
Since you're such a compassionate guy maybe you let the Asian kid go and take back your boy and see what happens, heck maybe if your'e such a good guy you don't send your boy back with the 'enemy' who has threatened dismemberment, just so you can get guns*( yes now THIS sounds like psychotic looter behaviour to me).
I mean i know in theory you've 'lost trust' in mankind but come on son how about you look at the situation and ask yourself what's really going on here?

For Rick:
how about you tell them you brought the guns from out of town yourself ehh? Walking up to people and saying "this is mine" just makes you sound like a dumb Neanderthal. Maybe it was supposed to be offscreen but he never actually told them they were his guns he brought into the city himself and dropped.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Plus having only 6 episodes they seem to be moving really slowly here.[/QUOTE]I'll agree with that but the rest of it is bunk. I'm not saying i need a 28 episode season or anything but six always feels short to me. I mean can I at least get 13 or so? Breaking Bad had 6 to start so did Misfits and those are also great shows with criminally short initial seasons.

[quote name='Jodou']
Am I the only one
who thought Amy should have risen from the dead to kill her sister? That would have been a epic lol.
[/QUOTE]I was thinking about that but while it would have been logical for a normal zombie to attack you have to figure it takes a while before the dead rise right? not like seconds after or the black family from before probably wouldn't have survived the wife's death.

Well if it is the case where they setup instances like the sister and the necklace never materializing into anything just to throw loops at the viewer then I am down for that. I like getting what I don't expect, it is a welcomed addition to actually be surprised from time to time with television instead of the same old thing.

I have been watching the show but I have question for those that have read the comic book. Is it about the same or has there been changes in the show already

[quote name='pgunz3']I have been watching the show but I have question for those that have read the comic book. Is it about the same or has there been changes in the show already[/QUOTE]

From the little I've read in the comic, it follows pretty close, but there are some minor changes.

[quote name='2DMention']From the little I've read in the comic, it follows pretty close, but there are some minor changes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot

[quote name='pgunz3']Thanks a lot[/QUOTE]
Specifically so far,

In the comic, The survivors camp was near Atlanta, just beyond some woods. In the show, it's implied it's driving distance (although they walked back in episode 3, but it's implied that it's very close to Atlanta in the comic)

The black guy and his kid didn't shoot at zombies from the window in the comic.

Also in the comic, there was no stranded survivors in Atlanta. They were all at camp. There was no redneck brothers in the comic (as far as I read, anyway) It was just the asian kid who helped him escape in the comic. Rick wasn't stranded in a tank and didn't leave guns on the street.

[quote name='pgunz3']I have been watching the show but I have question for those that have read the comic book. Is it about the same or has there been changes in the show already[/QUOTE]

I would put the changes somewhat in-between. The main plot of Rick finding his family has been somewhat true to the comic, give or take some tweaks. Main characters all seem true to their source, again with a few tweaks. However some characters are missing from the TV show, while many others are brand new. New story elements have been added while ignoring others (so far). It's a mixed bag, of taking, adding and rearranging.

Weather you regard this as a major or minor change is up to you but the zombie behave slightly different. They seem much more aggressive/intelligent in the TV show. Also the danger aspect hasn't kicked in as much. They did make up for this with the last episode so lets see if they keep it up.

[quote name='2DMention']Specifically so far,

In the comic, The survivors camp was near Atlanta, just beyond some woods. In the show, it's implied it's driving distance (although they walked back in episode 3, but it's implied that it's very close to Atlanta in the comic)

The black guy and his kid didn't shoot at zombies from the window in the comic.

Also in the comic, there was no stranded survivors in Atlanta. They were all at camp. There was no redneck brothers in the comic (as far as I read, anyway) It was just the asian kid who helped him escape in the comic. Rick wasn't stranded in a tank and didn't leave guns on the street.
[/QUOTE]

there was sort of redneck in the comics he was definetly racist.hes
otis
the guy from the farm who for a while was with patricia.they dont expose him as a racist until after the prison mutiny.

What happened in this thread that needed the almighty Shrike to come out of his cave and bless us with his presence?

I havent watched the new episode yet but from what you guys are saying its finally picking up.

i think i saw someone post a megaupload link.. side from that I probably missed it m'self. it's the internet you know how it goes.

As far as how it compares to the comic from what I've read it's pretty on the money. It's not Old Man and the Sea literal word for word spot on but it isn't Bourne Identity "lets' make a movie based on what we read in the book jacket" different either. I don't have any other appropriate analogies in my head so I'll say it's about what you got with the early Harry Potter films. (though to be fair those books get pretty long and it would have been a thankless nightmare to fit some of those side plots in)

[quote name='Soodmeg']What happened in this thread that needed the almighty Shrike to come out of his cave and bless us with his presence?...[/QUOTE]

As if a reason is ever needed with that guy ;)

I'm really liking this show a lot. I haven't watched tv (except for the occasional Man Vs. Food episode :cool: ) in a long time, but this show has had me tuned in every Sunday night and on the encore presentations.

Half way through and its much better than all the other episodes. Although, I hate to say this because being a black guy myself I would love to have a couple of us last in the show. But god damn T-Dogg needs to die now. He is just a bad actor plain and simple.

As for plot points
Nothing too bad but god damn I love how the black guy name is T-Dogg and the Mexicans first line is Punto and they cant stop saying homles and man constantly. Hollywood please break away from the stereotypes its embarrassing.

I feel torn about this episode. I think the problem is more the acting than the set pieces. But I get where they are going and what they are trying to set up and I like it. I think they just dont have strong enough actors to portray many of the scenes they are trying to go for. There are only 3 or 4 actors that can pull together a scene in the main camp (they really need to draft that Mexican Janitor from the old folks home) Decent episode and I am glad they are finally making things happen. I wouldnt be pushing so hard for things to happen if it was 6 episodes long. Plus they finally tried pushing for the sense of danger and no one is safe that I have been waiting for

Also, I think its very much a cop out when people say things like, "well just stop watching." Now let me say this, my father told me as a child that it is very easy to hate/dislike things that you have never tried or not given a chance. Now this is a concept that very little people follow in real life (trust me I have gotten a lot of flak for it through out my life for example I dont believe in God but I go to Church/Synagogue/Kingdom Hall, etc probably 2 or 3 times a month. Its very easy to be atheist when you dont even try to understand ) but I do it anyway.

Why do I keep watching? Because I cant claim the show sucks after only watching 1 or 2 episodes. You have to give things a chance to be good before you write it off. Now that doesnt mean I cant say my opinion of the current episodes. I just dont make it a habit of quitting things 5 seconds into it and I am glad I didnt because this episode was pretty decent in even my harsh opinion.

Yet another great episode. Possibly my favourite one yet. I'm starting to really like Dale's character back at the camp. Not a dominating amount of screen time or anything like that, but I like him when he does show up.

And :lol: @ anyone saying that that was a "street gang". The grandma diffusing the standoff and revealing what was really inside that place was a great scene.

(And Andrew Lincoln continues to be totally awesome)

I have to say that I do enjoy the show.

However I do think there are some legitimate gripes people can hold against the show without being accused of wanted more "Dawn of the Dead" styled filmmaking.

The key issue I have with this show is that there is this distinct lack of simmering paranoia that should exist between all the characters. It's this weird detachment where characters can just chill and exist as if there wasn't a zombie apocalypse and their world hadn't all gone to hell. Now this isn't in reference to the character development. I actually enjoy that. But the manner in which the characters are portrayed just seems off to me.

The characters act with the demeanor of summertime campers. That's why Rick coming in so late in the game is so important to us, the viewers. He hasn't experienced the horror of seeing his friends and family and everyone he knows being eaten alive. Everyone else has. But the level of mental anguish that everyone at camp should have experienced - which should have everyone at the camp acting as war-torn survivors or refugees from a genocide - seems to be non-existent at best, and ignored at worst.

Even in this last episode, the zombie attack on camp was terribly orchestrated. In my mind, there should have been someone stationed guard, instead of everyone just relaxing around the fireplace. And there wasn't, not because the characters weren't smart enough to do this, but because the plot called for a zombie attack so some characters could be killed off. It just feels forced.

I also DO remember Dale saying that zombies had never strayed out that far before, but because one had made it out that far, wouldn't that mean more could come, and shouldn't that have made even a lookout even more necessary? It's plot development, but it's broken plot development because it calls out for characters to act out unrealistically and in a manner that's entirely Hollywood which reeks completely of The Mist, which I had the same damn problem with, thank you Frank Darabont.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']I have to say that I do enjoy the show.

However I do think there are some legitimate gripes people can hold against the show without being accused of wanted more "Dawn of the Dead" styled filmmaking.

The key issue I have with this show is that there is this distinct lack of simmering paranoia that should exist between all the characters. It's this weird detachment where characters can just chill and exist as if there wasn't a zombie apocalypse and their world hadn't all gone to hell. Now this isn't in reference to the character development. I actually enjoy that. But the manner in which the characters are portrayed just seems off to me.

The characters act with the demeanor of summertime campers. That's why Rick coming in so late in the game is so important to us, the viewers. He hasn't experienced the horror of seeing his friends and family and everyone he knows being eaten alive. Everyone else has. But the level of mental anguish that everyone at camp should have experienced - which should have everyone at the camp acting as war-torn survivors or refugees from a genocide - seems to be non-existent at best, and ignored at worst.

Even in this last episode, the zombie attack on camp was terribly orchestrated. In my mind, there should have been someone stationed guard, instead of everyone just relaxing around the fireplace. And there wasn't, not because the characters weren't smart enough to do this, but because the plot called for a zombie attack so some characters could be killed off. It just feels forced.

I also DO remember Dale saying that zombies had never strayed out that far before, but because one had made it out that far, wouldn't that mean more could come, and shouldn't that have made even a lookout even more necessary? It's plot development, but it's broken plot development because it calls out for characters to act out unrealistically and in a manner that's entirely Hollywood which reeks completely of The Mist, which I had the same damn problem with, thank you Frank Darabont.[/QUOTE]

This exactly sums up my thoughts and as I said before I am pretty sure its because of the lack of strong actors. Most of the characters are simply not portrayed well and the actors act make the viewer feel as though they are in a crises.

[quote name='Ansé Solis'] the zombie attack on camp was terribly orchestrated. In my mind, there should have been someone stationed guard, instead of everyone just relaxing around the fireplace. And there wasn't, not because the characters weren't smart enough to do this, but because the plot called for a zombie attack so some characters could be killed off. It just feels forced.[/QUOTE]I agree with this part. That zombie attack was complete chaos. I agree that everyone was acting like it was a "good old fashioned fish fry" for no reason. Instead of having dale on the camper like he always is. That only thing that even comes close to explaining what happened was "look I made the rock pile higher so we can let the fire burn brighter" but I think we can all agree that's a poor excuse to grasp to.

I'm not asking for specific examples but outside of that I found the rest of it more or less acceptable. there's a fair amount of tension imo. there could always be more sure but it's not like it's not there. Any perceived relaxation comes with a) their relative distance from the zombie hoarde b) putting on an act for the children and c) weariness form being so tense when the outbreak started. Again none of that excuses the camp fire nonsense but I think it explains the cackle of laundry women, the easygoing fishin' sisters, the hunt for frogs.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I agree with this part. That zombie attack was complete chaos. I agree that everyone was acting like it was a "good old fashioned fish fry" for no reason. Instead of having dale on the camper like he always is. That only thing that even comes close to explaining what happened was "look I made the rock pile higher so we can let the fire burn brighter" but I think we can all agree that's a poor excuse to grasp to.

I'm not asking for specific examples but outside of that I found the rest of it more or less acceptable. there's a fair amount of tension imo. there could always be more sure but it's not like it's not there. Any perceived relaxation comes with a) their relative distance from the zombie hoarde b) putting on an act for the children and c) weariness form being so tense when the outbreak started. Again none of that excuses the camp fire nonsense but I think it explains the cackle of laundry women, the easygoing fishin' sisters, the hunt for frogs.[/QUOTE]

Putting on a brave face for children is something that doesn't happen in real life. The majority of adults just don't do it, especially in what is considered a war zone, genocide oriented situation. You can't hide fear.

And there is a mental trauma in situations like this and the only time it was showcased in the series was when Jim started digging holes and even that was almost ruined by him saying he did it because of a dream he had. People with severe mental traumatic stress don't need dreams to do crazy things.

Again, I don't hate the show. I quite enjoy it more than the other people who seem to crap on it but watch anyway. But there's this gentle nuance to the way things are played that I'm not necessarily a fan of and I'm ready to agree to disagree with you or anyone else.

That point about the rock ring being built higher totally went over my head during the episode. It is amusing, however, the way they all let their guard down after dinner was served. "Oh shit! We got some fish now! And BEER!!!"

Keep in mind this is the beginning of the series, they have a long way to go. There were no guards because these people haven't seen all the zombie movies we have, haven't read the survival guide. Now that they've been chomped on they know to set up a watch. I think they're playing up the regular people aspect and not the "end times made me a hero" archetype.

Loved the vatos, holmes.

Bonus points if anyone can name the vato that was in another lo-budget horror film. Here's a hint, he played a vato in both.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']I have to say that I do enjoy the show.

I also DO remember Dale saying that zombies had never strayed out that far before, but because one had made it out that far, wouldn't that mean more could come, and shouldn't that have made even a lookout even more necessary? It's plot development, but it's broken plot development because it calls out for characters to act out unrealistically and in a manner that's entirely Hollywood which reeks completely of The Mist, which I had the same damn problem with, thank you Frank Darabont.[/QUOTE]

i totally agree with you which is why the fishing scene is so damn annoying. but the fireside attack happened in the comics too but them dropping their guard was mostly due to the cold and everyone trying to stay warm.worked alot better in the comics and helped to add fuel to shanes hate towards rick.

thats why some of us feel there should be more deaths its not for the gore but for the tension each death creates.each survivor wondering and obsessing when their time will be.

[quote name='Adobe Jones']Keep in mind this is the beginning of the series, they have a long way to go. There were no guards because these people haven't seen all the zombie movies we have, haven't read the survival guide. Now that they've been chomped on they know to set up a watch. I think they're playing up the regular people aspect and not the "end times made me a hero" archetype.

Loved the vatos, holmes.

Bonus points if anyone can name the vato that was in another lo-budget horror film. Here's a hint, he played a vato in both.[/QUOTE]

Beginning? As far as we know they are half way done with the entire series. (Although I am sure they will get picked up but still.)

Yes, AMC wants 12 episodes for season 2, although I thought I heard they might not start running season 2 till halloween 2012! Ouch.

I meant the beginning of the comic storyline.

[quote name='Adobe Jones']Bonus points if anyone can name the vato that was in another lo-budget horror film. Here's a hint, he played a vato in both.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to guess this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0346595/

He's in quite a few "vato" movies, but I really only know him from "Training Day".

I thought that guy looked familiar, hge was one of the guys who jumped Jim Carrey in Bruce Almighty.

Has anybody been able to get though the site where you have to enter the codewords to get a stagger on zombie role? It must be getting slammed every week, because it just gives me an error message.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']Putting on a brave face for children is something that doesn't happen in real life. The majority of adults just don't do it, especially in what is considered a war zone, genocide oriented situation. You can't hide fear.[/QUOTE]I'm not sure I agree with that. Aren't there stories about jews in the holocaust who did things like that. I'm getting some truth mixed with fiction in my head but I'm pretty sure the one about the musical prodigy kids who put on plays for the Germans were on the truth side I think I remember that one from Fresh Air on NPR. Unfortunately I can't think of any RL examples but the tons of movies in which single women suddenly have to run from deranged ex-husband and tell the kids "we're going on a trip" seems to strike true.
obviously I can't stand by that without examples but still

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it would work, especially not to the 'well adjusted degree' we see in the show. Those two kids looked to old for coloring so were they doing homework at one point?
It should look more like the father and son from episode 1. That man to a minor extent puts on a brave face for his son. They have a realm of nomalcy to which they cling but it's also obvious that dude has a mild panic brewing all the time and that kid is ok in the day but nervous a heck at night and goes wacked out when he sees his mom
I agree that kids as a whole are pretty perceptive to a disturbance in adult sense of peace. But either way my point was more towards believability, and I think the adults would try to get some semblance of normalcy for the kids especially kids that young. At this point the immediate violence and panic has passed. Presumably days maybe even weeks have passed since they set up camp. To use your analogy it's more like living in rural Africa and an enemy force has ransacked the town. While the guns were going off sure it's the war-geno situation but now they've moved to your neighboring village maybe they'll swing back to you may not but you don't know and it's been weeks. You can't keep on edge the whole time, especially not the kids. I think in that situation the adults will during the day/safe time try to put on a brave face.

[quote name='Adobe Jones']Keep in mind this is the beginning of the series, they have a long way to go. There were no guards because these people haven't seen all the zombie movies we have, haven't read the survival guide.[/QUOTE]Now this I disagree with. This is supposed to be a contemporary zombie story. I fully thought this was a world with 'Night of the Living Dead'. It's too much like us for them not to have zombies films. To be honest the only action in the tv series that would make me doubt that is the CDC's "lets move everyone to Atlanta" move. That strikes me as strange even if it was say smallpox. Normal diseases compound when you stack people together in tight spaces. Anything that spreads from the dead would only benefit from this. Then again in the face of true panic who knows what would happen.

Plus they HAD guards. They have a consistent pattern of setting a guard (usually Dale). In the comic this changed because of Winter and the need for warmth. In the TV show there was no catalyst. no reason for them to let up, yet they did and that's the source of the criticism is I think. Maybe if the guys had say come back with the news about what's his face missing his hand and everyone was in a panic over if he was coming for revenge and arguing about whether or not to move camp when the attack started it might have been more acceptable.

[quote name='Adobe Jones']Keep in mind this is the beginning of the series, they have a long way to go. There were no guards because these people haven't seen all the zombie movies we have, haven't read the survival guide. Now that they've been chomped on they know to set up a watch. I think they're playing up the regular people aspect and not the "end times made me a hero" archetype.[/QUOTE]

Are you taking the stance that these people didn't place a guard because they hadn't seen a zombie movie? Because where I come from, if someone's trying to kill you and your group of people (not even considering eat them for that matter), then a guard is pretty damn necessary, zombie movies be damned. It's like saying Shane should have watched The Green Mile in order to know how to be a good, rational thinking cop.

I also want to be among the first to guess that Merle let loose the zombies.

Blah, I didn't read all the stuff you guys wrote, just skimmed it. I really enjoyed the series so far. Well, until the last episode. The mexican gang with a heart of gold? Really? Really?!? So fucking lame and just ruined the show for me.

I'm saving these up on DVR to watch in one go. But it sounds to me like they REALLY strayed from the source material.

bread's done
Back