AMC's The Walking Dead - S3 2nd half starts 02/10/13 9PM ET

[quote name='lokizz']nobody said buy them just read them if he wants to buy them whatever or he could borrow them from someone.[/QUOTE]

I agree, borrow them if you can. Unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to know anyone who owns a TPB, HC, or even a single issues. Or if you're comfortable sitting in the isles of Boarders then go for it. I'd rather own the book and read it from the comfort of my couch. Maybe the library, although I haven't seen any to check out at mine.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I'm saving them all up to watch in one go. But my mom has been telling me she's disappointed that the episodes are so long but don't really go anywhere. Like how the premiere just dragged on. But, to be fair, Kirkman's books drag on too. They're great for a TPB collector, but I'd be kinda pissed if I was reading individual issues as they came out.

I did enjoy the comics to start with, but changing artists really took a lot of the soul out. Adlard's drawing style had a lot of genuine emotion that added greatly to the dialog. Like in the first few pages where Rick finds that zombie on the side of the road and he's just devastated as he finally lets it all sink in.[/QUOTE]

youre right i went back to reread the from the start and the change in drawing is jarring. id lve to see a game made using the animation style from the first 6 books.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']This show is awesome, but it was awkard watching it over at my grandparents house and that couple had sex......ewwwww[/QUOTE]

are you 14?

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Or I could just watch the TV show and take it as a TV show, not worrying about how much it changed from the source material, and enjoy myself a whole lot more than everyone else seems to me.[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, the show is just fine. This coming from a huge fan of the series.

Of course, I'll wait until the entire season is finished before passing judgment, rather than nitpicking every minute of the way.

Decent episode, though I did have a few comments (I guess I'll always find ways to pick apart a show/movie, but it makes for good converstation):

1. Why did Shane go off and leave the camp virtually unprotected? He's the only one with a real weapon, and he's supposed to be the leader. In fact, he did that twice (once to get the water, and then again to go frog-hunting).

2. I believe that Dixon chose to saw off his hand, rather than the bolt/pipe to avoid breaking the sawblade (though I'm not so sure he's smart enough to make that choice on his own). Furthermore, he obviously must have jumped off the roof or shimmied down a pipe to get to the street, since the door was chained and there were "Geeks" (I hate that the survivors call them that) on the other side.

3. I thought it was odd that the old dude gave Short Round shit for driving the alarm-blowing car up the road to the camp, but didn't say squat to Dixon's brother for blowing the car horn in the truck.

4. It's odd that there was only 1 zombie in the woods near the camp. I suppose that'll change next week, though.

[quote name='lokizz']youre right i went back to reread the from the start and the change in drawing is jarring. id lve to see a game made using the animation style from the first 6 books.[/QUOTE]

iTunes has a free motion comic using the Moore art. It's very good as motion comics go, might give you an idea what a game would look like with Moore's art.

I admit it got a little soap-operaey for that 3rd episode, but I'm still enjoying it, and no, I haven't read the comics and don't plan to.

If you want zombie action and blasting, there are plenty of movies with no character development or drama.

How many comics/books of collections are there of this, and how much are they?

[quote name='2DMention']I admit it got a little soap-operaey for that 3rd episode, but I'm still enjoying it, and no, I haven't read the comics and don't plan to.

If you want zombie action and blasting, there are plenty of movies with no character development or drama.

How many comics/books of collections are there of this, and how much are they?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how many issues there are, but I've been buying them in the Book/Anthology form, of which there are 6.

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Book-Bk/dp/1582406197/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289926785&sr=8-1

There's also a compendium which has the first 48 issues:

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-...0760/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1289926801&sr=8-4

It looks as though they're capitalizing and marked everything up. You used to be able to buy all the Hardcover Book collections for $20 each. Volume 1 is now $30 on Amazon.

There's also definitely points in the books where things get cheesy and the motives of some characters are pretty unbelievable, where they sometimes do things only as a plot device and their actions make no sense.

I think its kinda funny that we are chastising people for thinking a show called The Walking Dead, advertised as the offical The Walking Dead show, claims to be inspired by The Walking Dead is nothing like The Walking Dead.

Everyone is free to have their opinion but there is a reason why you seek a partnership with an already established book (or song or company, etc etc,) and that is to feed of the core fanbase of that particular item. You dont have to try to win over as many new fans and you can also make a shit load of promises to advertisers about a built in demographic. So to try and paint a bad light over the very people who made the comic popular enough to even make a show is ludicrous.

No one forced them to name it The Walking Dead, they could have made this show without any link to the comic but they knew without it the show would fail. So to sit there having never read the source material but claim that the people who have should "just stop bitching and enjoy it," is :whee:

The show by itself is slightly below average but makes it horrid is the fact that its suppose to be based on The Walking Dead because they changed the very thing that made the comic so popular. Its like making a show about Al Capone but focusing all the attention on the every day lives of the dry cleaners they set up as a front. Plus having only 6 episodes they seem to be moving really slowly here.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I think its kinda funny that we are chastising people for thinking a show called The Walking Dead, advertised as the offical The Walking Dead show, claims to be inspired by The Walking Dead is nothing like The Walking Dead.

Everyone is free to have their opinion but there is a reason why you seek a partnership with an already established book (or song or company, etc etc,) and that is to feed of the core fanbase of that particular item. You dont have to try to win over as many new fans and you can also make a shit load of promises to advertisers about a built in demographic. So to try and paint a bad light over the very people who made the comic popular enough to even make a show is ludicrous.

No one forced them to name it The Walking Dead, they could have made this show without any link to the comic but they knew without it the show would fail. So to sit there having never read the source material but claim that the people who have should "just stop bitching and enjoy it," is :whee:

The show by itself is slightly below average but makes it horrid is the fact that its suppose to be based on The Walking Dead because they changed the very thing that made the comic so popular. Its like making a show about Al Capone but focusing all the attention on the every day lives of the dry cleaners they set up as a front. Plus having only 6 episodes they seem to be moving really slowly here.[/QUOTE]

You're clearly just trolling for arguments at this point.

We get it, you don't like it. Quit watching the show then and stop coming to the thread re-posting the same inflammatory statements over and over again. Its old, its tired and everyone else has moved on to different topics of discussion.

Well Jodou my friend, the numbers don't lie, The Walking Dead has not dropped yet:

According to TV By The Numbers, the ratings for The Walking Dead have increased from Episode 2 to Episode 3. Episode 3, entitled “Tell It To The Frogs”, had a overall rating of 5.1 million viewers (up from 4.7). The 18-49 key demographic held steady at 3.3 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...es-sonny-with-a-chance-kendra-much-more/72307

I guess I'm really out of touch with what people consider good television then. Then again, I don't watch much TV outside of letting Adult Swim play in the background, so by comparison the show is probably way above standards lol.

I'm really enjoying the show. I like that it diverges from the show because now it's new again to me. I don't know what's around every corner.
I'm wondering if they'll kill off Andrea instead of Amy?
And I like that the neo-nazi from falling down is in this series playing a similar character.

[quote name='Adobe Jones']I'm really enjoying the show. I like that it diverges from the show because now it's new again to me. I don't know what's around every corner.
I'm wondering if they'll kill off Andrea instead of Amy?
And I like that the neo-nazi from falling down is in this series playing a similar character.[/QUOTE]

I was around for part of the NYCC panel, and that was one of the reasons they gave for the change. They said that they wanted to change the story around so it wouldn't be the same old stuff the comic fans already knew.

Say what you want about the acting or the "plot devices" of this show. But at the end of the day, it's one of the most creative and fresh ideas on television. I know a lot of people hate Glee. But its enormous success is greatly due to the same reasons. It's a show that there aren't 25 other clones of on TV already. How many reality shows do we need? How many crime shows do we need? How many medical shows do we need? Like it or not, both Glee and The Walking Dead are exactly what the television landscape needed...and their numbers reflect that.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Say what you want about the acting or the "plot devices" of this show. But at the end of the day, it's one of the most creative and fresh ideas on television. I know a lot of people hate Glee. But its enormous success is greatly due to the same reasons. It's a show that there aren't 25 other clones of on TV already. How many reality shows do we need? How many crime shows do we need? How many medical shows do we need? Like it or not, both Glee and The Walking Dead are exactly what the television landscape needed...and their numbers reflect that.[/QUOTE]

please dont bring that fruity damn show into a walking dead discussion.

[quote name='lokizz']please dont bring that fruity damn show into a walking dead discussion.[/QUOTE]

CAG gets more ignorant every day.

[quote name='lokizz']please dont bring that fruity damn show into a walking dead discussion.[/QUOTE]

Argue the numbers. It's a huge fucking success making people millions of dollars. And it was a brilliant idea for a television show. I could give a shit what your personal taste is. The point is it gave people something they couldn't get elsewhere...same as The Walking Dead. The concept alone is genius.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']CAG gets more ignorant every day.[/QUOTE]

especially the day you joined. nobody gives a shit about glee in this thread if you want to talk about it go find the fucking glee thread.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Argue the numbers. It's a huge fucking success making people millions of dollars. And it was a brilliant idea for a television show. I could give a shit what your personal taste is. The point is it gave people something they couldn't get elsewhere...same as The Walking Dead. The concept alone is genius.[/QUOTE]

numbers dont mean shit. just because a show does well same as with movies doesnt mean is a good show or movie i just means theres enough dumbasses who jump on bandwagons and watch shit shows like that.
its just more hay for the sheep.

quality and popularity dont always go hand in hand look a american idol and other such shows. its not an original show either shows like that have been done before . and thats it please dont post anyore about that show lets stick to the topic of zombies and twd.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Say what you want about the acting or the "plot devices" of this show. But at the end of the day, it's one of the most creative and fresh ideas on television. [/QUOTE]

Uhhhh, I dont know if I would go that far. Thats a bit of a over statement seeing as its plot and creativity is directly lifted from a comic of the same name.

What you are saying more describes Lost, as truly unique show that had its critics. I have never seen an episode of Glee but it is indeed really popular and I wouldnt be opposed to watching it but never had the chance.

Also, for Insterstella, yea that is true and I will continue to watch but mostly because I am a huge fan of the comic.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Uhhhh, I dont know if I would go that far. Thats a bit of a over statement seeing as its plot and creativity is directly lifted from a comic of the same name.[/QUOTE]

Didn't you just spend numerous paragraphs complaining that the show was nothing like the comic at all? Which one is it? You can't have it both ways.

I understand what you're saying, but how many truly "original" ideas are there even? At this point, almost everything is "based on" something. I'm just saying, for Glee: lots of people like musicals and broadway shows. Why not have one that people can watch every week? Good idea.

For The Walking Dead: lots of people love zombies and scary movies. Vampires are all the rage right now and have been completely overdone. A show about zombies would be a breath of fresh air for the genre. Good idea. Even if it's "based on" something, it still has to be directed and produced...and as you've gone out of your way to point out, things get changed along the way. I just think it's more original than half of what passes for "good television" these days.

So the wife tells me that rumours are going around saying we'll have to wait all the way until next Halloween for season two. fuck, I hope that's not the case. First three episodes have been really fun to watch. Great news about the ratings, though. Impressive that it's hitting such high numbers. Pretty sure that's even higher than the finale of season four of Mad Men. I've also spoken to a handful of critics and pretty much every single one has said they enjoyed the first season (though a few were lukewarm on the second episode).

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I understand what you're saying, but how many truly "original" ideas are there even? At this point, almost everything is "based on" something. I'm just saying, for Glee: lots of people like musicals and broadway shows. Why not have one that people can watch every week? Good idea.[/QUOTE]
Totally agreed. Just because it's based on a comic doesn't mean that it's not original in the realm of television. It's a sad thought, but there's an infinitely greater number of people watching TV every week than there are people who read comics. I've got no problem with them wanting to take the basic premise of Kirkland's work and bring it to a medium with a much larger audience.

I myself am really enjoying the first compendium of the comic, but I just can't find it in me to get worked up about changes between that and the show. To me they're simply separate entities operating under the same basic structure and title.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the wife tells me that rumors are going around saying we'll have to wait all the way until next Halloween for season two. fuck, I hope that's not the case. First three episodes have been really fun to watch. Great news about the ratings, though. Impressive that it's hitting such high numbers. Pretty sure that's even higher than the finale of season four of Mad Men. I've also spoken to a handful of critics and pretty much every single one has said they enjoyed the first season (though a few were lukewarm on the second episode).

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I understand what you're saying, but how many truly "original" ideas are there even? At this point, almost everything is "based on" something. I'm just saying, for Glee: lots of people like musicals and broadway shows. Why not have one that people can watch every week? Good idea.[/QUOTE]
Totally agreed. Just because it's based on a comic doesn't mean that it's not original in the realm of television. It's a sad thought, but there's an infinitely greater number of people watching TV every week than there are people who read comics. I've got no problem with them wanting to take the premise of Kirkland's work and bring it to a medium with a much larger audience.

I myself am really enjoying the first compendium of the comic, but I just can't find it in me to get worked up about changes between that and the show. To me they're simply two separate entities operating under the same basic structure and title.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']You know why the ratings haven't dropped? Because despite the fact that the people bitch and whine about the series, they still tune-in anyways.[/QUOTE]
For real. Clinging to false hope that this will be the episode it gets good again lol. With only six episodes this season, the numbers probably won't drop off until next year. I know I won't be back if they keep heading in the direction they have.

[quote name='Jodou']For real. Clinging to false hope that this will be the episode it gets good again lol. With only six episodes this season, the numbers probably won't drop off until next year. I know I won't be back if they keep heading in the direction they have.[/QUOTE]

this one coming up should be pretty good the guy who does the comics is i believe directing it . shrike i believe posted a audio interview where hese guys were talking to him. i checked out that Horde movie they sugested too i liked the ending and its a good enough zombie film but it was very very very frustrating to watch.

Read the comic at Borders up to the point where
they gather at camp. The big redneck guy isn't in the comic, and he didn't have to rescue people from the city. They also don't have the drama with Rick's wife and Shane.

Pretty close to the comic if you ask me.

[quote name='2DMention']Read the comic at Borders up to the point where
they gather at camp. The big redneck guy isn't in the comic, and he didn't have to rescue people from the city. They also don't have the drama with Rick's wife and Shane.

Pretty close to the comic if you ask me.[/QUOTE]
That's because the affair between Shane and Lori isn't revealed until later on in the comics

OK, aside from the most anti-climatic mexican standoff ever -- this episode was what #2 should have been. If they had just kept on rolling without all the BS drama at the camp, I'd be satisfied. Oh and the whole side thing with digging holes and dreams was dumb lol. It was such obvious foreshadowing I don't know why they bothered.

Am I the only one
who thought Amy should have risen from the dead to kill her sister? That would have been a epic lol.

[quote name='coolsteel']First half was putting me to sleep , second half once that cliche bull was over was a lot better.[/QUOTE]
You have no idea how close I was to just letting the DVR run when they started the episode talking about fishing knots lol.[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I agree, there should be no character development or human interactions.[/QUOTE]
C'mon man, a street gang defending a retirement home? Give me a fucking break.

[quote name='Jodou']You have no idea how close I was to just letting the DVR run when they started the episode talking about fishing knots lol.
C'mon man, a street gang defending a retirement home? Give me a fucking break.[/QUOTE]

I personally flipped over to top gear several times throughout the episode. Meh.

Awesome episode.

[quote name='Jodou']You have no idea how close I was to just letting the DVR run when they started the episode talking about fishing knots lol.[/quote]

I'll give you that one. I was worried at the beginning

C'mon man, a street gang defending a retirement home? Give me a fucking break.

They were acting tough because they were worried Rick and the group were just there to attack them and take stuff. They were compassionate before the zombies because one of them was a nurse at the home. They weren't a gang, they were just a group of people that stuck together after they came to check in on their family and acted tough to defend themselves. (of course, some of them look pretty mean to start with)

It is just showing the differences in the world with zombies. The past episodes dealt with the hate with the rednecks and black guys and the husband and wife. This episode showed that there can still be compassion in the situation.

Some of you really need to just pop in the Dawn of the Dead remake and loop it. Because that's really more of what you're looking for. That isn't an insult, this show just isn't going to be what you want.

As soon as the camp got invaded I was thinking "I hope they're happy now."

[quote name='PenguinoMF']
They were acting tough because they were worried Rick and the group were just there to attack them and take stuff. They were compassionate before the zombies because one of them was a nurse at the home. They weren't a gang, they were just a group of people that stuck together after they came to check in on their family and acted tough to defend themselves. (of course, some of them look pretty mean to start with)

It is just showing the differences in the world with zombies. The past episodes dealt with the hate with the rednecks and black guys and the husband and wife. This episode showed that there can still be compassion in the situation.
[/QUOTE]
I don't care lol. I was seriously rolling when the grandmother came out and they were like "Grandmaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, we're trying to have a staaaaaaaaaaaaaaand-off!" All I could think of was Grandma's Boy or any South Park episode with Cartman's mom.

[quote name='lokizz']wow i double dog dare someone to find a way to explain how this episode was good.it was like a bad episode of angel.[/QUOTE]

dude it had zombies in it and they were all like AAGGGHHHH AGGAHHH NOM NOM NOM and everyone was like AHHH BANG BANG SAD TEAR!!!!1111 and did it mentions teh zombies!!! they mad3 a T\/ $h0w w1th z0mb13$ 1n it!!!

seriously just stop watching the show if you don't like it.

bread's done
Back