Android games ongoing sales.

The majority of the games on android are what the first iphone games were like. Simple. There are some really nice ones that are comparable to the iphone top tier games, but there aren't very many of them. Android is building into a success quicker then anything out there, it takes time to build a market.

I really look forward to the time when I can get the kind of games on my Android phone that one can get on an iPhone (Square Enix is doing some fantastic stuff), but until then, I'll use the phone for work and the DS for play.

[quote name='pROvIs']actually I have found Fring to work much better than qik and it works with existing skype users for video calls[/QUOTE]

Fringe does video chat now? I haven't had that app installed in ages. Though i don't know how useful it is on moto droid since the camera is on the wrong side. :)

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']I just switched from the iPhone 3g to the HTC Evo 4G and was wondering where are the games? Most games on the Android marketplace seem to be pretty cheap games where are games like FIFA, Splinter Cell, Iron Man 2? HTC Evo is way more powerful than the iPhone why the lack of quality games? Is it that the big developers aren't focused on Android phones? Because there is a Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed game but both are cheap 2D side scrollers.[/QUOTE]
Another reason why is because that there are so many different android phones with different specs most developers make sure that there game will work with almost all of them unlike iphone which just has one type of hardware. But I can assure you that the games will come.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']From what I've read, developers feel that Android users don't spend money, and so they don't put time into quality IP or ports for Android, because they think it will make no money if any at all, and can't be sold at the high prices that iphone gets.

This however makes little sense in my mind - of course you will make no money if you make terrible games.

As Android gets more attention and more and more 'regular' users, we will see better games. Unfortunately, right now, it's not the best for games.

Although, check out ExZeus; it's a pretty neat looking game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hope with the release of the Evo, Droid Incredible and the upcoming Droid X big time developers will begins to focus on Android phones

[quote name='tominater12']Another reason why is because that there are so many different android phones with different specs most developers make sure that there game will work with almost all of them unlike iphone which just has one type of hardware. But I can assure you that the games will come.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I can see how that would be a problem with some phones having keypads and others having trackballs but don't all Android phones have touch screens? Why not make that the default form of controls? I really hope real games come out soon because that is the 1 drawback from an otherwise great OS and phone.

Same here Dark Lord Greg, I really hope by this Fall big time developers will begin to jump on board, because I'm waiting for the Droid X to come out. I'm hoping that will be a big seller as well, hopefully they learn from the incredible backorder problems and have an ample amount available for their launch.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']
Yeah I can see how that would be a problem with some phones having keypads and others having trackballs but don't all Android phones have touch screens? Why not make that the default form of controls? I really hope real games come out soon because that is the 1 drawback from an otherwise great OS and phone.[/QUOTE]

I think the bigger problem is the diverse nature of the processors, OS versions and GPU (or lack of GPU on most phones) as well as screen resolution, rather than input method, although that is a factor as well. All games I've played so far are touchscreen or accelerometer controlled.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Just got Root + Custom Recovery on my droid incredible. Just waiting for a working Froyo rom now.. Also, doodle jump is great![/QUOTE]
Doodle jump is horrid compared to the iphone version, overpriced too.

I prefer Abduction World Attack (http://www.appbrain.com/app/au.com.phil.abduction) over doodle jump. I like the set level structure of campaign. They have a free version as well with a Demo of the full version in it (http://www.appbrain.com/app/au.com.phil)

I should have posted this earlier but for those interested it looks like Glu Mobile has a 4th of July Weekend .99 cent deal for most of their titles. I just checked and the prices are still at .99.

App Brain List of Glu Games:
http://www.appbrain.com/browse/dev/Glu+Mobile

List of .99 Cent Games:

Free Glu Games you should check out if you havent already:

Enjoy!

(Edit: Fixed Links)

Hey, keep it going at least....It's a good place to learn about free apps. Plus, I'm gonna need it in August when I get my Droid X

[quote name='jdktech2010']Hey, keep it going at least....It's a good place to learn about free apps. Plus, I'm gonna need it in August when I get my Droid X[/QUOTE]

I'd love to have more of these deals posted. I figured I would see if I can start a trend.

If you haven't already I recommend getting an appbrain account. It will let you sync apps to your phone from the web so when you get your phone you just install the app link it to your account and it will install them for you. It also goes the other direction. For paid apps it will keep a running total of how much all apps will cost etc as well. Very useful.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']From what I've read, developers feel that Android users don't spend money, and so they don't put time into quality IP or ports for Android, because they think it will make no money if any at all, and can't be sold at the high prices that iphone gets.[/QUOTE]

First, reality check: I have an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4 on the way. I'm no Apple disliker. I'm also not an Android-disliker, though I do strongly dislike the hate that *some* Android fans send my way, but I realize that's not all Android users. In fact I like to keep my eye on all contenders as there's no telling what I'll opt for in the future. Truth be told, though, I've only got Macs in the house, so yeah, I'm probably a fan. :) Which is not the same as saying that I don't look at other companies products too. I've got an Xbox 360 for crying out loud. :)

Anyway, enough with smileys. What I find goofy about that is that on the iPhone the price wars are so ridiculous that not only are most games 99 cents, many go free for periods of time in order to get them higher up on the sales lists just so that people will see them, which in turn leads to greater sales. So to say that iPhone users are willing to be pay big money for games seems absolutely ludicrous. Most games that sell for more then 99 cents struggle. There are obviously exceptions, but look at the top selling game (actually, app of any kind), and one that has been at the top for some time now: Angry Birds. It's 99 cents. It's always been 99 cents. It's also the top grossing app of any kind. Square Enix's much greater then 99 cent games aren't to be found in the top 50, neither sales nor gross. Angry Birds is, incidentally, a really good game. Make a good game, price it cheap, and lots will buy it. As I noted, there are exceptions. Call of Duty World at War Zombies is a consistent seller and high grossing app (not my cup of tea, but obviously many people's) and only recently had a sale dropping it to $7.99. It's been $9.99 until then and presumably will go back up, but there's no telling with regard to that.

So... the answer in terms of spending money is obviously that, currently at least, the market is massively bigger on iOS, whether through numbers or willingness to buy or both, so much so that in spite of the ludicrously low prices, developers can make a lot of money. The consumer and the developers win. Perhaps the consumers more then developers, but I couldn't really tell you that.

Android probably just needs to increase market share, but maybe they also need to figure out how to sell to Android users. Maybe Android users just aren't willing to buy apps for some reason? I don't know.

[quote name='crunchewy']First, reality check: I have an iPhone 3GS and now an iPhone 4 on the way. I'm no Apple disliker. I'm also not an Android-disliker, though I do strongly dislike the hate that *some* Android fans send my way, but I realize that's not all Android users. In fact I like to keep my eye on all contenders as there's no telling what I'll opt for in the future. Truth be told, though, I've only got Macs in the house, so yeah, I'm probably a fan. :) Which is not the same as saying that I don't look at other companies products too. I've got an Xbox 360 for crying out loud. :)

Anyway, enough with smileys. What I find goofy about that is that on the iPhone the price wars are so ridiculous that not only are most games 99 cents, many go free for periods of time in order to get them higher up on the sales lists just so that people will see them, which in turn leads to greater sales. So to say that iPhone users are willing to be pay big money for games seems absolutely ludicrous. Most games that sell for more then 99 cents struggle. There are obviously exceptions, but look at the top selling game (actually, app of any kind), and one that has been at the top for some time now: Angry Birds. It's 99 cents. It's always been 99 cents. It's also the top grossing app of any kind. Square Enix's much greater then 99 cent games aren't to be found in the top 50, neither sales nor gross. Angry Birds is, incidentally, a really good game. Make a good game, price it cheap, and lots will buy it. As I noted, there are exceptions. Call of Duty World at War Zombies is a consistent seller and high grossing app (not my cup of tea, but obviously many people's) and only recently had a sale dropping it to $7.99. It's been $9.99 until then and presumably will go back up, but there's no telling with regard to that.

So... the answer in terms of spending money is obviously that, currently at least, the market is massively bigger on iOS, whether through numbers or willingness to buy or both, so much so that in spite of the ludicrously low prices, developers can make a lot of money. The consumer and the developers win. Perhaps the consumers more then developers, but I couldn't really tell you that.

Android probably just needs to increase market share, but maybe they also need to figure out how to sell to Android users. Maybe Android users just aren't willing to buy apps for some reason? I don't know.[/QUOTE]

I guess, I'd like to keep this a deal thread rather than an apple vs android debate however I can't help but put in my two cents.

The biggest problem is market share. Android doesn't have near the market share that Apple does.

I know this is a great simplification but if you are making an app that costs $10,000 and you push it to market and release it on a platform that has 1,000,000 users, you can price it at $1 hoping 1 in every 100 users buys it. Now you factor in a market about a tenth the size and in order to turn a profit you need 1 in 10 to buy it or charge 10x as much.

I think developers are very interested in the platform but they face three main issues users aren't there in the same numbers as apple, its open nature and attraction to tech users has led to a major problem with piracy, and there is major fragmentation because there are so many devices/cpu/gpu/screen-size combinations.

It doesn't help that Apple has made it less economically appealing to even bother porting games to other devices by making the process take much longer than it should. However, why shouldn't they protect their market?

Hey, guys - we just released our first game on Android - Card Ace: Blackjack. It's a cross-platform multiplayer social blackjack game. You can play with your friends on iPhone, webOS, or Facebook - full in-game chat, and a unique picture-based emote system. The game's free to play, and you get free chips every day you play!

If you can download it & give it a rating, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks!
seppo

[quote name='helava']Hey, guys - we just released our first game on Android - Card Ace: Blackjack. It's a cross-platform multiplayer social blackjack game. You can play with your friends on iPhone, webOS, or Facebook - full in-game chat, and a unique picture-based emote system. The game's free to play, and you get free chips every day you play!

If you can download it & give it a rating, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks!
seppo[/QUOTE]

The self aware games are great. Loved them on my Pre and I'm glad to see them showing up on android!

Games on android are really hit and miss and none of them are as fluid and good as something like angry birds at least right now. I really do hope by the time gingerbread comes out there will be some form of minimum cpu, gpu, and ram requirements so that we can actually get some decent games or at least ports from iphone games.
Also doodle jump had a price drop but it still sucks compared to the iphone version.

[quote name='pROvIs']I guess, I'd like to keep this a deal thread rather than an apple vs android debate however I can't help but put in my two cents.

The biggest problem is market share. Android doesn't have near the market share that Apple does.

I know this is a great simplification but if you are making an app that costs $10,000 and you push it to market and release it on a platform that has 1,000,000 users, you can price it at $1 hoping 1 in every 100 users buys it. Now you factor in a market about a tenth the size and in order to turn a profit you need 1 in 10 to buy it or charge 10x as much.

I think developers are very interested in the platform but they face three main issues users aren't there in the same numbers as apple, its open nature and attraction to tech users has led to a major problem with piracy, and there is major fragmentation because there are so many devices/cpu/gpu/screen-size combinations.

It doesn't help that Apple has made it less economically appealing to even bother porting games to other devices by making the process take much longer than it should. However, why shouldn't they protect their market?[/QUOTE]
Then there is the issue that most people that have an android device never even buy an app on the market hell I have only bought 1.

Sorry to get off topic but you guys should root your android phone to get it better........I have a G1 rooted running 2.1 and it rocks.

[quote name='IMMALO5ER']Sorry to get off topic but you guys should root your android phone to get it better........I have a G1 rooted running 2.1 and it rocks.[/QUOTE]

whats the point of rooting an Android phone like the HTC Evo? Customization is already there just for free apps and I still say there are none worth buying much less rooting phone for unless rooting is super easy

I think the main reason people root their phone is so they can install the newer OS early or change the UI which you can't do with apps as far as I know.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it , but check out Tower Raiders... as you can guess its a Tower Defense game, but as someone who normally gets bored by these, I'm really enjoying it.

Its a track based game unlike Robo Defense, but there are some buildable spots that can block the enemies, and that allows you to strategize by forcing them to take the paths you choose for maximum damage potential.

I don't know how much it costs off the top of my head.. I've been playing the free version for a while and I'll pay up for the extra levels/difficulties when I finish that.

Oh, there's also separate versions for low and high end phones.. which is nice and not something you see very often.

[quote name='manthing']The moment there's a stable Froyo port with full HTC EVO4G functionality, I'll root mine.[/QUOTE]

Been using the CyanogenMod6 for the past few weeks, from Nightly Beta to RC1, and I'm loving Froyo.

EDIT:

And the EVO 4G will be getting Froyo rolled out starting next Tuesday...

Looks like I rooted my phone for nothing...

:wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say that I am a bit disappointed in the games offerings for Android. Just picked up the Droid X when it launched. There was a demo of Need For Speed: Shift on the phone and if that was any indication, there is definitely room for some great games. Graphics and smoothness was easily on par with anything I had played on my iPod touch 3G.

The Android marketplace seems like a complete mess though. Trying to find anything useful on there is a pain in the ass. So much junk to sort through. Does using AppBrain make it any easier? I've seen several people mention it but haven't checked it out yet for myself.

Absolutely love the phone though. Google maps + Google navigation puts my standalone Garmin GPS device to shame.

Now if they would just decide when to push Froyo to the Droid X I would be a happy camper.

[quote name='manthing']Been using the CyanogenMod6 for the past few weeks, from Nightly Beta to RC1, and I'm loving Froyo.

EDIT:

And the EVO 4G will be getting Froyo rolled out starting next Tuesday...

Looks like I rooted my phone for nothing...

:wall:[/QUOTE]

great to hear Froyo coming next week can't wait to see how much better the phone runs. Any word on if it will help with battery life?

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Gotta say that I am a bit disappointed in the games offerings for Android. Just picked up the Droid X when it launched. There was a demo of Need For Speed: Shift on the phone and if that was any indication, there is definitely room for some great games. Graphics and smoothness was easily on par with anything I had played on my iPod touch 3G.

The Android marketplace seems like a complete mess though. Trying to find anything useful on there is a pain in the ass. So much junk to sort through. Does using AppBrain make it any easier? I've seen several people mention it but haven't checked it out yet for myself.

Absolutely love the phone though. Google maps + Google navigation puts my standalone Garmin GPS device to shame.

Now if they would just decide when to push Froyo to the Droid X I would be a happy camper.[/QUOTE]

have you checked outside the android market? i know a few developers that make the more intensive games dont have them posted on the market for some reason.

http://www.gameloft.com/download-ga...s&selected_sort=date&selected_show=all&page=0

http://www.glu.com/game

as for navigating the market, there are several web fronts for it.. androlib.com, cyrket.com, and probably a few more, that offer different options for sorting and what not. hope that helps.

[quote name='smoger']have you checked outside the android market? i know a few developers that make the more intensive games dont have them posted on the market for some reason.

http://www.gameloft.com/download-ga...s&selected_sort=date&selected_show=all&page=0

http://www.glu.com/game

as for navigating the market, there are several web fronts for it.. androlib.com, cyrket.com, and probably a few more, that offer different options for sorting and what not. hope that helps.[/QUOTE]
The DRM outside the market is really bad. if its not in the market I wont buy it.

[quote name='z3razerviper']The DRM outside the market is really bad. if its not in the market I wont buy it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't know that.. what do they do?

[quote name='smoger']Oh, I didn't know that.. what do they do?[/QUOTE]

There was a big stink a couple months ago about Gameloft not letting you redownload a game for any reason (factory reset, replacement phone, etc.) if you didn't buy it in the market. To their credit, they did listen to the criticism and changed their policy so it shouldn't be a problem now. Not sure about Glu's policy.

I downloaded Real Soccer 2010 HD from gameloft and its awesome and graphics are nice, way better than any game on Android market that I have seen. Good to see quality games for android phones

Dungeon Hunter, Nova, and Let's Golf look ShaqFu'ing AMAZING. I want them.

But... has anyone tried the touchscreen controls yet?

[quote name='geekpimpfx']Wordfeud is out now and free. It's like words with friends on iPhone[/QUOTE]
Awesome, thanks! Aquick review after 5 minutes playing:

-No landscape mode
-Seems to get connection issues (I'm on wifi so I really think it's the server)
-Ads after EVERY turn?

However, I am currently winning this game, so all is forgiven :p

[quote name='choral_music']Dungeon Hunter, Nova, and Let's Golf look ShaqFu'ing AMAZING. I want them.

But... has anyone tried the touchscreen controls yet?[/QUOTE]

Been playing Dungeon Hunter on my Nexus One... its a pretty fun hack and slash and the touch controls work well

Bumping this for Fruit Ninja, now available for .99

Haven't played this but it seems to be all the rage over on the iOS devices

[quote name='smoger']Bumping this for Fruit Ninja, now available for .99

Haven't played this but it seems to be all the rage over on the iOS devices[/QUOTE]

i bought it today...its so simple, but extremely fun

Fruit Ninja is awesome.

We just released Card Ace: Hold 'Em on the Marketplace yesterday. It's a social, cross-platform multiplayer Texas Hold 'Em app - you can play with anyone on iOS, webOS, or Facebook, so there are already thousands of people online all the time.

Please check it out, and if you like it, if you can leave a rating/review, it'd help us a lot!

Thanks!
seppo

ps: Did I mention it's free? You get free chips every day you log in!

bread's done
Back