Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to have to start shopping at Amazon UK for my anime if that's the case. Still a bit rich on price, but hopefully that fixes itself when they release compilations. I really liked that show, although at first I wasn't sure if I would. Turned out to be a winner. Can't wait for the next season.

Honestly, I loved the entire Aincrad arc of SAO, the ALFheim part.. not so much. So the first 2 sets are well worth it to me, the second 2 sets... eh. I'm a completionist so... but otherwise yea. Second half is *bad* fanservice. Not fun fanservice, just bad. It's how many tentacle jokes can they wedge into an episode.

Can any one give me any advice in how easy it is to cancel a preorder on rightstuf?

I am really debating ordering the game there but I have never ordered from them before and may decide I don't want it by release.
It's not as easy as, say, Amazon, but it is hassle-free. IIRC, all I had to do was shoot CS an email and they canceled the order the next day. Give them the order #, the product #, etc.

It's not as easy as, say, Amazon, but it is hassle-free. IRC, all I had to do was shoot CS an email and they canceled the order the next day. Give them the order #, the product #, etc.
Thanks, that's not bad at all. Really should start ordering from them more since I noticed they have really good sales.

If I watched the anime, am I going to get anything out of playing the game or is it a re-hash?
You will get more out of the game, since it's more comprehensive. Each girl has their own route. I haven't played it yet, since I've been waiting for this release, but I imagine, you'll be covering a lot of the same material.

If I watched the anime, am I going to get anything out of playing the game or is it a re-hash?
Well it took me about 32 hours to get every ending and skip repeated text, so it will be the same thing but a lot more details and with other ending.

Well I got my Seiki Region Free player and it seems to work great. I got the region free menu to appear (for changing Region A,B,C but boy that remote sure does suck) and I got my first Blue Exorcist UK Blu on the way.

Looking forward to a life without overpriced Aniplex USA anime. ;)

Well I got my Seiki Region Free player and it seems to work great. I got the region free menu to appear (for changing Region A,B,C but boy that remote sure does suck) and I got my first Blue Exorcist UK Blu on the way.

Looking forward to a life without overpriced Aniplex USA anime. ;)
sadly the nearest pickup location to me is 200 miles in any direction :(

Is Sears the only place you are able to find that player? Would love to get my hands on one, but doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Man, I wish the closest one to me was just 50 minutes away. I would drive down and pick it up while making a day out of it, but mine is 3.5 hours away.  :whistle2:(

Man, I wish the closest one to me was just 50 minutes away. I would drive down and pick it up while making a day out of it, but mine is 3.5 hours away. :whistle2:(
Kmart also carried it. I've seen it go in and out of stock on their website. Just be advised that the fit and finish of this player is really subpar. I ended up returning one I found at Sears. I'll probably look into using a custom fimware for one of Panasonic's bluray players for multi-region playback.

Kmart also carried it. I've seen it go in and out of stock on their website. Just be advised that the fit and finish of this player is really subpar. I ended up returning one I found at Sears. I'll probably look into using a custom fimware for one of Panasonic's bluray players for multi-region playback.
Yeah, the player itself is nearly impossible to find new now according to the interwebs. I'm pretty sure once word got out that this player (and the model before this) had workarounds to make it region free, that they silently took it off the market. My player was a floor model and it was taken off the floor due to it being discontinued. The build quality is bit crappy as you said but I'll only be using it for UK Blu Rays. All of my other Blus will be played on my super slim PS3.

My money's on an upscale of the orange boxes.
Agreed. This is actually the release I prefer. And knowing this is just probably Level 1.1/1.2, I'm 99% sure of it.

According to the review of Level 1.1 on Blu-Ray.com

FUNimation has provided three lossless offerings on this Blu-ray, the English dub in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 with the original Japanese music, the original English language broadcast version (with broadcast version music) in Dolby TrueHD 2.0 and the original Japanese track (with Japanese music) in Dolby TrueHD mono.
Speaking of Level 1.1/1.2, the cover art for Level 2.1/2.2 is also on Blu-Ray.com. Which at this point can likely confirm that Funimation has continued their Blu Ray remastering of the series.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-Ball-Z-Level-2.1-Blu-ray/34915/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-Ball-Z-Level-2.2-Blu-ray/34914/

I went ahead and pre ordered the season 1 set. Since Season 2 is mostly filler and the Namek saga, I'll be more than willing to wait for that to be made into a complete season box set.

Those Level sets are old. FUNimation won't be using them.

The two currently released Level sets use a brand new remaster independant of the Orange Box or the Dragon Box. It was the original full frame release and the visuals are crisp and bright. They do not include the Ocean Group dub, as that would require double the discs. The dub will be the same one as the DVDs.

EDIT: Hmm. Amazon says it's 16:9. Wonder if FUNimation is using an entirely new remaster for some reason.

The two currently released Level sets use a brand new remaster independant of the Orange Box or the Dragon Box. It was the original full frame release and the visuals are crisp and bright. They do not include the Ocean Group dub, as that would require double the discs. The dub will be the same one as the DVDs.

EDIT: Hmm. Amazon says it's 16:9. Wonder if FUNimation is using an entirely new remaster for some reason.
I have the levels and enjoy the 4:3. Lets hope they didn't convert to 16:9 and distort it or any thing :/

Really? Hmm.. I remember Funi sending out surveys that they maybe rebooting that project. And by "old dub" I think most of us were referring to the dub that was found on the orange bricks. And come to think of it, I do see that the Level 2.1/2.2 pictures do have a release date for 2012... and we know that never happened.

My only question is around the music...did that get changed like it did for Kai? They had this fantastic dramatic music for the final battle with Cell in the dubbed TV show (can't recall original JP version) and it got changed to this supremely lame music in Kai that ruined the entire moment for me. If this has the right music, I may buy the cell saga season when it comes out.

My only question is around the music...did that get changed like it did for Kai? They had this fantastic dramatic music for the final battle with Cell in the dubbed TV show (can't recall original JP version) and it got changed to this supremely lame music in Kai that ruined the entire moment for me. If this has the right music, I may buy the cell saga season when it comes out.
Considering these sets could either be the old Level sets or upscales of the orange brick DVDs, my guess is that they will still have the tracks that I mentioned earlier. Which includes the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack from the TV dub.

I am a little bit unsure what "new dub" refers to, then. Both the Orange Boxes and the Dragon Boxes have the same dub on there.

The Orange Boxes and the Level sets included the English dub with Japanese score and the English dub with the broadcast music. I am sure these sets will include both of them as well as the same mono Japanese track all the DVDs have.

On Amazon's full site the aspect ratio lists 1:33:1, so it is full screen after all.

That new music was actually the original Japanese score from the original show.

I am a little bit unsure what "new dub" refers to, then. Both the Orange Boxes and the Dragon Boxes have the same dub on there.

The Orange Boxes and the Level sets included the English dub with Japanese score and the English dub with the broadcast music. I am sure these sets will include both of them as well as the same mono Japanese track all the DVDs have.

On Amazon's full site the aspect ratio lists 1:33:1, so it is full screen after all.
Mmm, yeah, I want my broadcast music then! lol Will play the waiting game and see what people say about these new Blu-ray sets.

Yeah, the player itself is nearly impossible to find new now according to the interwebs. I'm pretty sure once word got out that this player (and the model before this) had workarounds to make it region free, that they silently took it off the market. My player was a floor model and it was taken off the floor due to it being discontinued. The build quality is bit crappy as you said but I'll only be using it for UK Blu Rays. All of my other Blus will be played on my super slim PS3.

Agreed. This is actually the release I prefer. And knowing this is just probably Level 1.1/1.2, I'm 99% sure of it.

According to the review of Level 1.1 on Blu-Ray.com

Speaking of Level 1.1/1.2, the cover art for Level 2.1/2.2 is also on Blu-Ray.com. Which at this point can likely confirm that Funimation has continued their Blu Ray remastering of the series.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-Ball-Z-Level-2.1-Blu-ray/34915/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-Ball-Z-Level-2.2-Blu-ray/34914/

I went ahead and pre ordered the season 1 set. Since Season 2 is mostly filler and the Namek saga, I'll be more than willing to wait for that to be made into a complete season box set.
2.1/2.2 were cancelled a while ago.

I just hope they find a way to continue the quality of 1.1/1.2, I only saw a trailer of them and they were stunning, but not worth the price.

I just can't believe I might buy this show a third time... urgh.

2.1/2.2 were cancelled a while ago.

I just hope they find a way to continue the quality of 1.1/1.2, I only saw a trailer of them and they were stunning, but not worth the price.

I just can't believe I might buy this show a third time... urgh.
Currently I own the Orange Bricks and Dragon Boxes in addition I have Kai on Blu-ray so this would be sort of 4th time for me, sigh.

Yeah, well who knows at this point. Toei doesn't seem to want to make DBZ into HD (yet) and Funimation is struggling in trying to do so. Either way, I'm sure if they ever go past the Saiyan saga in terms of Blu releases then it damn well better be in the same treatment we got before. We've see terrible Funi upscales in the past (Claymore, D.Gray-Man, Samurai Champloo, etc) so you think they would be past those days. But... I guess we'll see. =S

And DNukem, I know what you mean with space. I sold my orange bricks last month along with all of my old Naruto uncut DVDs. It feels like I have so much space now. :p

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any Hajime no Ippo DVDs they be willing to part with/sell.

I was never able to get the complete set. Think I'm missing the last 6 volumes, have to double check.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any Hajime no Ippo DVDs they be willing to part with/sell.
I was never able to get the complete set. Think I'm missing the last 6 volumes, have to double check.

I remember buying Fighting Spirit for my bro for his b day 6 yrs ago on Rightstuf.com for $60 and now its worth a lot more now. It's a very good series too by the way

I'm sure the anime of Golgo 13 is a hell of alot better than that godawful Golgo 13 NES game I played the other day. lol
Ha, I think anything Golgo 13 would be better than that NES game. I wasn't a huge fan of the show, it was good -- but nothing could top Golgo 13: The Professional. I remember seeing that as a kid and being blown away, especially by the now-outdated CGI helicopter scene.

I lucked out tonight at F.Y.E. They currently have a promotion where if you buy two used items, you get 30% off the two and any additional used item you buy. I noticed a huge block of used Eureka Seven DVDs. Shockingly, I found a copy of volume 11 for $15.99 less the 30% (little over $11). I managed to fill in a few missing pieces to complete my set.

Is my fye the only one that stores all its anime box sets behind the counter so you cannot even look at them? All they have out are the single volumes or the save editions. The one time i asked to see what they had she just opened the cabinet (it being behind the main register) and it was 4 feet away with stuff behind it so I couldn't see all of what they had or prices.

Probably. All the FYEs and Suncoasts around here either have them on its own shelf or on a shelf above the anime section.

Yeah, FYE/Suncoast have been trying to clearance a lot of their singles and starter box sets for a long time. Although, it's very rare for anyone to find a good deal there. Havok just managed to find something he was looking for.

Went to my local movie trading company and managed to pick up gundam seed collection 1 and 2 in excellent condition for $42 after using a 20% off coupon.So I was happy and celebrated with a Oreo shake from jack in the box :)

Updated the OP with Rightstuf's new sales, and I have wiki-fied the post so anyone can make an edit too it.

If and when editing, make sure to include deals that are available everywhere/online, and not any regional deals.

Got my Blue Exorcist Blu in today from Amazon UK. The Seiki player worked flawlessly. I can't wait to get other Aniplex titles from them. ;)

Got my Bakemonogatari Blu parts 1 and 2.  I really forgot how dialogue heavy this series is. I'll have to give it my full attention when watching to see how it lines up with the character commentaries.

bread's done
Back