Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^

I wouldn't mind DD but I get charged taxes so that kind of puts a damper in buying things. :(

Heads up for those that didn't notice. RS is shipping this BD's.

Future Dairy

K-On! Season One

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

Still torn on if I should keep any of these or just wait for studio sales. Opinions...

I remember Future Dairy. I was shocked at the Miltank and Chik-Fil-A cow cameos. And that episode where they made cheese-flavored ice cream was a laugh riot. But the series finale where Moosha sacrificed herself so that Luddy wouldn't become a steak burger got the waterworks going. So sad.

I remember Future Dairy. I was shocked at the Miltank and Chik-Fil-A cow cameos. And that episode where they made cheese-flavored ice cream was a laugh riot. But the series finale where Moosha sacrificed herself so that Luddy wouldn't become a steak burger got the waterworks going. So sad.
Dude spoiler alert some of us have yet to seen future diary.

Dude spoiler alert some of us have yet to seen future diary.
Well, that's good, because I wasn't spoiling Future Diary. I was spoiling Future Dairy. Season 2 will feature a crossover with the Chik-Fil-A Justice League cows Cowborg, The Gristle Missile/Speed Steer, The Amazing Swatter, Cold Cuts, and DeciBell.

BTW, I have a $12 discount at DVD Planet. No Game No Life CE is $68.99, with $2.99 shipping (I miss the $1 shipping they used to have.). Spend $59.98 or use the code on Deep Discount?

Sold! ;D

*Edit*

Nevermind. The extra shipping cost makes it not as great of a deal anymore since they don't qualify for the free shipping at all. I thought it was just another dollar on top of the free shipping, but $3 extra per item makes the discount less desirable. I'll think about No Game No Life possibly still, but might just hold out for something better at this point. :*(
That's what I was thinking too because I still want to get NGNL but holding out might be better. :(

I'm still really looking at the French History bundle at RS and Pet Girl of Sakurasou with at least something else like Myself; Yourself or Familiar of Zero at DD, so does anyone have any opinions on Pet Girl? ANN seems to have a "love it or hate it" view on it.

How well does Best Buy handle price mistakes?

Tokyo Ghoul CE pre-order for $42.99

Worth a shot I guess~ lol

(credit to BTT on blu-ray forums)
I rarely check this thread but I'm glad I did. I watched this anime and it was amazing. I would love to have the CE at that price but I'm sure they'll cancel it or just ship the normal edition. Anyways, my order is in!

Tokyo ghoul CE msrp $129.99 bby msrp $64.99 on sale for $42.99 possible misprint picture. Regular msrp $69.99 on sale $49.99! In for cancelled :)

I don't think the DBZ has anything on Deepdiscount right now, because they are running a 15% off coupon with the current DVDPlanet anime sale until Wednesday afternoon! Sweet - so Familiar of Zero seasons are under $24 (as an example).

Code is RUSTY. Now to dig for stuff! :)

Some prices if anyone is interested:

No Game No Life CE: $61.63 (because it's more than a pound there is extra shipping)

Love Chunibyo CE: $55.83 (same thing as above)

Pet Girl of Sakurasou Complete Collection: $34.84
I've never bought from DD before.

I wanted to get Non Non Biyori(bluray) and Love Lab(bluray).

After the RUSTY code, it's down to $24~ each. I know that LL hit $20 last year during Rightstuf's holiday sale. Should I wait and hope they go there again? No guarantee that NNB hits $20 but they're both Sentai Filmworks(sub only) so maybe.

NNB is out of stock atm. How are they about restocking? Will they wait till they get both before shipping? Charge at purchase or shipping?

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: My mistake. LL hit $24 for Bluray and $20 for DVD. So that removes my hesitation about buying at this price.

I'd still like input on how DD are with backorders. OP post says not to bother, but maybe they've changed over the years?

^^^

If you are on the fence I wouldn't wait to long with DD. They will raise the price or if they see an item that is selling good can and will up and take it off.

I don't even bother with them because of the games they play. Also I don't order back order items from them. I only try to get in stock itmes. I have had items up and cancelled that were on back order. They are one of the last companies I try to buy from.

I'd still like input on how DD are with backorders. OP post says not to bother, but maybe they've changed over the years?
DD generally will fulfill backorders...eventually.

There never seems to be any rhyme or reason as to how they fulfill backorders as there have been times in the past when I've had backordered items, and when they come back in stock on the website, my item is still on backorder, and does not get fulfilled for another week even though you can clearly order it in stock on the listing. I've called customer service about it, and they would have to expedite the whole process in fulfilling the order in those cases.

To sum it all up, if you can wait, then order away with backorder items, but be aware it could be awhile.

^^^

If you are on the fence I wouldn't wait to long with DD. They will raise the price or if they see an item that is selling good can and will up and take it off.

I don't even bother with them because of the games they play. Also I don't order back order items from them. I only try to get in stock itmes. I have had items up and cancelled that were on back order. They are one of the last companies I try to buy from.
DD generally will fulfill backorders...eventually.

There never seems to be any rhyme or reason as to how they fulfill backorders as there have been times in the past when I've had backordered items, and when they come back in stock on the website, my item is still on backorder, and does not get fulfilled for another week even though you can clearly order it in stock on the listing. I've called customer service about it, and they would have to expedite the whole process in fulfilling the order in those cases.

To sum it all up, if you can wait, then order away with backorder items, but be aware it could be awhile.
Thanks. That's good enough for me. I'll put in my order then.

Comes out 11/3 and available to preorder at RS and NISA Site.

zsF8GGX.jpg

How well does Best Buy handle price mistakes?

Tokyo Ghoul CE pre-order for $42.99

Worth a shot I guess~ lol

(credit to BTT on blu-ray forums)
It's not a price mistake. BB used the wrong cover art. The $42.99 listing is the BD/DVD regular edition. The BD/DVD CE release is currently unlisted @ BB.

BD/DVD Reg
- UPC: 704400067341
- BestBuy.com search result: $42.99

BD/DVD LE
- UPC: 704400067334
- BestBuy.com search result: $49.99

BD/DVD CE
- UPC: 704400067358
- Currently not listed @ BestBuy.com (and most online retailers currently don't have it listed).

I just discovered this thread, because I rarely stray outside of Video Game Deals. Putting aside my excitement for a thread for anime deals, I was floored about the Detective Conan announcements.

I had assumed that America wanted nothing more to do with Conan. (I often fear that the Case Closed manga will be unceremoniously cancelled at any time.) I cosplayed as Heiji at a convention a couple weeks ago, and not one person recognized it.

I just discovered this thread, because I rarely stray outside of Video Game Deals. Putting aside my excitement for a thread for anime deals, I was floored about the Detective Conan announcements.

I had assumed that America wanted nothing more to do with Conan. (I often fear that the Case Closed manga will be unceremoniously cancelled at any time.) I cosplayed as Heiji at a convention a couple weeks ago, and not one person recognized it.
You and me both my brother

Viz announced One Punch Man will stream in October and they have K Season 2.

Discotek panel highlights:

- It was apparently already announced but I missed it. Discotek license rescued IGPX. Will include both uncut and Toonami versions. Tentative release date is November 2015. Trying to include all versions of original miniseries.

- Has licensed Go Nagai's Gaiking. Japanese language with English subs. Coming in 2016.

- Licensed Super Dimension Century Orguss. Has been remastered. Coming in September 29th. Japanese language with improved subtitles. Dub for first 17 episodes are included (Steve Blum's first role).

- Robot Carnival coming September 1st. Includes new subtitles, Japanese and English audio, and is in widescreen. Also includes new essay by Mike O'Toole.

- Horus: Prince of the Sun has been released. Includes multiple commentaries, interviews, etc.

- Magic Knights Rayearh is coming to Blu-ray in Winter 2016. DVD version in Fall 2015. Will include both series in same package.

- In case you don't know, the Castle of Cagliostro Blu-ray includes both Streamline and Manga Entertainment dubs. Blu-ray cover raw is a 10GB file.

- Will be re-releasing the first few FUNimation Lupin movies.

- Has licensed the Lupin/Detective Conan crossover. Trying to release it as Detective Conan rather than Case Closed.

- Lupin III Jigen's Gravestone will be released on Blu-ray in 2016 with a brand new English dub. Only returning actor is Richard Epcar.

- Will be releasing the Darkstalkers OVA Collection with English dub and redone subtitles. Footage has been remastered. Coming early 2016.

- Will be re-releasing the original Street Fighter American cartoon. Will possibly have reversible cover to look like an SNES cover and a Super Famicom cover.

- Will be releasing Street Fighter Street Fighter II Movie uncut on Blu-ray in 2016. Will include both edited and uncut dub. Trying to get uncut dub with Japanese music.

- Any Discotek release from Crunchyroll is run by the latter.

- Releasing Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust on Blu-ray. Licensor will not allow Japanese version. September 9th on Blu-ray, September 29th on DVD.

- Releasing Wicked City on DVD in 2016. Includes both Streamline and Manga UK dubs.

- No release date for Yowamushi Pedal.

- Will be releasing Sonic X, Library Wars, among others but no details.

- Trying to get Detective Conan outright but license is extremely complicated right now.
Why can't more companies be like Discotek. I'll take Gaiking, Orguss, Lupin, and Conan and ect.

FUNi Announcements:

- Dimension W - FUNimation is actually involved in the production of this show rather than just a licensee.

- Black Lagoon Collector's Edition - S1+S2+OAV. Ammo tin chipboard box. Art box, metal lighter, and dog tags included. Releases in November.

- Tokyo Ghoul Season 1 CE - Artbook, Journal, and post cards. Box has clear sleeves that transition from human to ghoul. CE disc case is digipak. DVD-only set is Walmart exclusive. Footage is uncensored. No Limited Edition release. Releases 9/22.

- Attack on Titan live-action, A Boy and the Beast, Psycho-Pass the Movie, and Ghost in the Shell the Movie (the new one) are all getting theatrical releases. AoT is this fall, the rest in 2016.

- Assassination Classroom Season 2 has been licensed. Coming in 2016.

- Project Itoh 3-film series (Genocidal Organ, Harmony, and The Empire of Corpses) coming in 2016.

- Noein has been license rescued. Coming to Blu-ray.

- Speed Racer (yes, the classic series) has been licensed. Coming to Blu-ray and includes episodes not released in America. Will also include Mach a Go Go.
Wow speed Racer on blu ray, and Noein! Go funimation!

What it is with all of the nice anime, manga, and visual novel announcements lately?  Sweet jesus.

Around July 5th or so, GoHastings sent out an email with a code that could be used to get 30% off movies until the end of the month.  Right now, GoHastings doesn't have that extra 25% markup on many of their anime titles, so you could get some used Ghibli films for about $10.50 shipped, Gargantia DVD for about $15.50 with that email and code...so it might be worth it to check it out.

It limits you to 2 though (at least I think).

Around July 5th or so, GoHastings sent out an email with a code that could be used to get 30% off movies until the end of the month. Right now, GoHastings doesn't have that extra 25% markup on many of their anime titles, so you could get some used Ghibli films for about $10.50 shipped, Gargantia DVD for about $15.50 with that email and code...so it might be worth it to check it out.

It limits you to 2 though (at least I think).
I assume the code in that email is unique? I don't think I ever received such an email.

I assume the code in that email is unique? I don't think I ever received such an email.
I assume so as well, because it's a 10-letter and number combination. It's not the standard code at the least.

At lunchtime I can provide the subject line for everyone if that helps.

EDIT: Scratch that. The subject line started off with "30% OFF ALL Used Movies + 2 Movie Rentals and 2 Drinks for", and there was a 9-letter/number code a bit further down the email (that probably started with "MOV").

I received on the 5th. I hope that helps everyone some more.

It's not a price mistake. BB used the wrong cover art. The $42.99 listing is the BD/DVD regular edition. The BD/DVD CE release is currently unlisted @ BB.

BD/DVD Reg
- UPC: 704400067341
- BestBuy.com search result: $42.99

BD/DVD LE
- UPC: 704400067334
- BestBuy.com search result: $49.99

BD/DVD CE
- UPC: 704400067358
- Currently not listed @ BestBuy.com (and most online retailers currently don't have it listed).
Crap. I thought it might be too good to be true. I guess it's time to cancel the pre-order...

Discotek panel highlights:

- Licensed Super Dimension Century Orguss. Has been remastered. Coming in September 29th. Japanese language with improved subtitles. Dub for first 17 episodes are included (Steve Blum's first role).
I have been waiting to get a proper copy of Orguss since the 90's and the fact it has been remastered is an even bigger bonus, thanks for the update.

Big News

http://nerdist.com/exclusive-the-collected-works-of-hayao-miyazaki-coming-to-blu-ray/

Due out exclusively from Amazon on November 17th, The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki contains each of the maestro’s eleven feature films: Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo, and The Wind Rises
nvZv2j7.jpg

I don't know how I actually feel about this. I already bought every Blu-ray release, so I'll probably pass.

A similar set has also been out in Japan for ~66,000 yen (~$530).

I'm assuming this will be in the $300 range for us. Which I might have bitten on had I had none of the movies.

O.O

good lord. Now that is a collector's item. That's going to take a lot of willpower to not double-dip and buy this set, imagine how left out you're going to feel when it's sold out. They got us again. Right after many of us just finished up buying most of those 11 releases LOL.

Gotta love the pitfalls of being an early adopter of movies and video games.
Here are the extras

But the highlight for those who already own all of these films on Blu-ray will be the set’s bonus features, including Yuki no Taiyo (Yuki’s Sun) — a 1972 television pilot based on a manga by Tetsuya Chiba that was directed, storyboarded and animated by Hayao Miyazaki. The set also contains three episodes (26, 27, and 41) of the 1972 anime series Akado Suzunosuk (Little Samurai), featuring storyboards by the filmmaker. Fans will also get the uncut version of Miyazaki’s Retirement Press Conference, which was thankfully not the final page in his career. The whole package is rounded off with a book featuring The Great Dichotomy: Looking at the Works of Hayao Miyazaki by Tomohiro Machiyama, which “explores the themes and techniques of this revered Japanese filmmaker, and selected text from Hayao Miyazaki’s initial notes and creative proposals for the production of each film.”

Given that apparently every company that holds the rights to the series hate each other, it'll be a while.
It's a shame. I know they're doing the Robotech The Classic Collection with the Robotech ver. and the Macross ADV Dub. But they only released Vol. 1 of the Collection so far. No word on the last volume.

It's funny that they called the Classic Collection a budget release, but it's slowly increasing in price.

every collector already has those films though lol and those extras really arent worth it. A 5 minute short? Three random eps from a series? A book?

A complete ghibli collection would be much better (if it included nausicaa and lupin as well), especially since not every ghibli animation has been localized - like only yesterday and ocean waves.

I already have all these films on either dvd or blu-ray, and sure I would like them ALL on blu-ray, but the amount of new content just isn't good enough and the type of new content it quite there either. Just my opinion.

I'll just resell a couple of those batman television series that I managed to get off eBay from that glitch pricing a seller had to buy that Miyazaki collection :)....................................................................jk

Honestly comparing this release to the other regions release of it. It looks like the cheapest version yet. Looks from what I can tell in that picture. We will get a fat DVD sized case if we are lucky bluray sized case that will house all the bds. Hopefully we don't get one of the book style cases like the UK release of the starwars collection. They didn't spend any extra time to reprint any of the discs so we can't expect fixed subs or the alternate audio for castle in the sky. I'm putting my money on that art book just containing the covers from the Japanese releases. And that extra disc is kinda lacking.

Let's also hope that box is chipboard and not paper like all aniplexs new releases.

All in all there is gonna need to be some really cool things we sent seeing for me to justify double dipping

I'm surprised to see Castle of Cagliostro in there. I mean it SHOULD be in there, but Disney has more or less ignored it completely (requiring Discotek to give us an R1 BD release).

bread's done
Back