Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

That's like asking what sitcom Dan Castellaneta hasn't guest-starred in.

I just learned about the Ghost in the Shell live-action movie, if it ever gets made. Apparently Scarlett Johanssen is playing Kusanagi. 13-year-old me could be fan ragin for not having an Asian actor. But now, I'm not as disappointed, considering the Japanese had ample time to make their own live action, plus Hollywood sure as hell isn't going to hire some obscure actress no matter how awesome he/she may be. Off the top of my head, I thought Charlize Theron would play Kusanagi. But hell, why not Greta Lee, Jaime Chung, Lucy Liu, Grace Park, Kelly Hu, , or Maggie Q? But oops, my choices aren't Japanese enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Japan would riot if a non-Japanese Asian played Kusanagi.

And China would riot if one of their actresses played a Japanese character.

Edit: See Memoirs of a Geisha.

Japan would riot if a non-Japanese Asian played Kusanagi.

And China would riot if one of their actresses played a Japanese character.

Edit: See Memoirs of a Geisha.
Hollywood's been doing it forever. It's almost expected. But to be honest a little fault falls on Japan with their lack of English speaking talent. Ken Wantanabe & Asano Tadanobu are the go-to Japanese actors for everything and that's pretty much it.

But I do remember the controversy over Memoirs of a Geisha with most the cast being Chinese.

Saw episode 1 of Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! (It's like they blindly picked words from every anime title ever created). All I can say is WTF did I just watch? Here's a synopsis:

A pink intergalatic Wombat recruits 5 teenage boys to defend earth. They do a Sailor Moon-ish transformation by saying  the words "Love Making" while kissing their bracelets wittingly named Loveraclets. They pull out their weapons called "Love Sticks" while doing the combined finishing move called "Love Shower" which sprinkles hearts on the foe. Not making this up.

One episode was enough for me. I'm done. But I was very impressed with all the homosexual overtones making this my reaction at the end:

c6e184c37df932d599fc1db174c7c7b2c8caf5400bc6b13d6865c1393f7b3122.jpg

Even if it's not your thing the first episode is worth it for the sheer ridiculousness of it.

On about episode 16 or 17 of Akame ga Kill and we're currently boarding the feel train again. Damn you series for making me route for the good and bad guys. 

Saw episode 1 of Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! (It's like they blindly picked words from every anime title ever created). All I can say is WTF did I just watch? Here's a synopsis:

A pink intergalatic Wombat recruits 5 teenage boys to defend earth. They do a Sailor Moon-ish transformation by saying the words "Love Making" while kissing their bracelets wittingly named Loveraclets. They pull out their weapons called "Love Sticks" while doing the combined finishing move called "Love Shower" which sprinkles hearts on the foe. Not making this up.
there is another show similar to that this season called yuri bear storm, made by the who did penguindrum

there is another show similar to that this season called yuri bear storm, made by the who did penguindrum
I'm well aware of Lesbian Bear Storm. I even talked about it at work yesterday. It's now become an inside joke.

Any word if it's going to be on Hulu or Crunchyroll?

On about episode 16 or 17 of Akame ga Kill and we're currently boarding the feel train again. Damn you series for making me route for the good and bad guys.
At a point I became desensitized to all the deaths since I could see them coming a mile away. But like you I rooted for the bad guys too. Especially Bors & Wave. BTW just don't read the manga. It's beyond f**ked up.

I'm well aware of Lesbian Bear Storm. I even talked about it at work yesterday. It's now become an inside joke.

At a point I became desensitized to all the deaths since I could see them coming a mile away. But like you I rooted for the bad guys too. Especially Bors & Wave. BTW just don't read the manga. It's beyond f**ked up.
i have non-legal ways of watching it, from direct download link sites, if you are interested. pm me .the site updates with all current anime for season of 2014. the yuri bear anime supposed to have some hidden message in form of yuri, because of the said director.

what kind of job do you have that lets you talk about lesbian anime openly? lol\

here is the op for the yuri bear anime, so you can get a preview of what you are in for, WARNING NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64AbgBKTUGQ

i highly doubt a network will be brave enough to pick it up, because of the content.

Akame Ga Kill to me just comes as something that tries too hard to be dark just comes off as cartoony with it. Compared to something like Lone Wolf and Cub which is more realistic when it comes to it.

What the hell is Lesbian Bear Storm? Should I even ask? lol

For Akame ga Kill, I got a pretty good feeling on who is living 'till the end and is who isn't. It's starting to become more and more predictable as the episodes go on.
I saw Chelsea's death from a mile away. The two others from earlier -- not as much. Her death though... well, I guess you say the display made me think of Game of Thrones... lol.

As what's up for the manga? More gore? Bewbs? I never read any manga although I may start here soon since we get down time at my new job.

it is basically similar to attack on titans.
I see them as "mature" shonens. They have similar tropes and stories but they are typically more gorey and dark. I think Attack on Titan had a little more originality to it (not too many shows about giants) but Akame ga Kill can be slumped into just about every fantasy shonen like Bleach, D.Gray-Man, and Blue Exorcist.

What the hell is Lesbian Bear Storm? Should I even ask? lol

For Akame ga Kill, I got a pretty good feeling on who is living 'till the end and is who isn't. It's starting to become more and more predictable as the episodes go on.
I saw Chelsea's death from a mile away. The two others from earlier -- not as much. Her death though... well, I guess you say the display made me think of Game of Thrones... lol.

As what's up for the manga? More gore? Bewbs? I never read any manga although I may start here soon since we get down time at my new job.

I see them as "mature" shonens. They have similar tropes and stories but they are typically more gorey and dark. I think Attack on Titan had a little more originality to it (not too many shows about giants) but Akame ga Kill can be slumped into just about every fantasy shonen like Bleach, D.Gray-Man, and Blue Exorcist.
check the opening video of the anime, i posted a few posts up, NSFW, that will give you an idea of what it is about

crunchyroll has the rights for it outside of NA, funimation has the rights inside of NA.

This season funimation picked up a number of shows thus they won't be on crunchyroll... if I recall right this season funimation has more of them then crunchy for NA so far.

To be honest I never read it, just things I was told. It pretty much hits the lowest of the lows with
child rape & murder. And not just on one occasion.

To be honest I never read it, just things I was told. It pretty much hits the lowest of the lows with
child rape & murder. And not just on one occasion.
With the way a lot of the people in the series act (the prime minister being a great example), it doesn't surprise me that it hit that low. I only got like 3 episodes left then I'm done. I always watch anime with a dark/light pattern, so I'll probably finish S1 of Working after I'm done with Akame ga Kill.

I also have to finish up Cowboy Bebop on Blu. :p

With the way a lot of the people in the series act (the prime minister being a great example), it doesn't surprise me that it hit that low. I only got like 3 episodes left then I'm done. I always watch anime with a dark/light pattern, so I'll probably finish S1 of Working after I'm done with Akame ga Kill.

I also have to finish up Cowboy Bebop on Blu. :p
isn't akame ga kill , basically a dark/light pattern anime. LOL

isn't akame ga kill , basically a dark/light pattern anime. LOL
Anime's like Akame/AoT like to switch it around every other episode, then shonens are almost always upbeat (to keep the kids happy, and the "good guys" rarely die), then finally shows like Gungrave/Hellsing keep the dark switch on the entire series.

TL;DR - I don't like watching gloomy shows constantly. You probably get the point by now. Hopefully. :p

Anime's like Akame/AoT like to switch it around every other episode, then shonens are almost always upbeat (to keep the kids happy, and the "good guys" rarely die), then finally shows like Gungrave/Hellsing keep the dark switch on the entire series.

TL;DR - I don't like watching gloomy shows constantly. You probably get the point by now. Hopefully. :p
then watch black bullets, it is another show similar in style to akame /aot

Nozomi is finally entering the Blu-ray market. They signed a deal to become the exclusive distributor of Pony Canyon anime and will be releasing Yuki Yuna is a Hero and Denki-Gai on Blu-ray and DVD April 10th.

Nozomi is finally entering the Blu-ray market. They signed a deal to become the exclusive distributor of Pony Canyon anime and will be releasing Yuki Yuna is a Hero and Denki-Gai on Blu-ray and DVD April 10th.
i highly recommend yuki yuna is a hero

i highly recommend yuki yuna is a hero
I watched halfway through the first episode. I wasn't all that interested in it. But I hear people talking about it a lot. Should I have stuck with it a little longer? Maybe I'll give it another shot and try a few episodes.

Nozomi was unexpectedly awesome. I started watching it only to kill time, not expecting much, but it ended up being one of my favorites from last season. Genuinely funny.

Finished Akame ga Kill last night. The last 3 or so episodes got really good. Bummed that more characters hit the bucket. I peeked into the manga's latest chapters and it seems the last few episodes of the anime were all original but honestly, I was fine with it. Just by peeking through the latest chapters it seems like things really do drag on for longer than they need to which is a typical curse of manga. 

Mine and Tatsumi actually hooking up in the manga is interesting. After everyone was getting the hots for him, I was thinking "Dude. Esdeath. All the way." but oh well, hahaha. As for the anime, we did have a few holes here and there. But I felt everything ended in a satisfying way. I didn't think Tatsumi was going to die since he aimed as more as the main character than Akame but eh, he went out in a pretty heroic way.

I think if the anime had any flaw was that it kept introducing what I like to call "throwaway villains" towards the end like they were more distractions (filler) and were holding up the inevitable battle with the jaegers. But then I later saw that some of the characters who were shown in the anime (but die rather quickly) end up going into the manga's next arc. 

I watched halfway through the first episode. I wasn't all that interested in it. But I hear people talking about it a lot. Should I have stuck with it a little longer? Maybe I'll give it another shot and try a few episodes.

Nozomi was unexpectedly awesome. I started watching it only to kill time, not expecting much, but it ended up being one of my favorites from last season. Genuinely funny.
what episode did you watch up to? if it is only the first episode. then wait till you get to the episode 5 and 6. if at that point, you still do not like it. drop it.

also just watched assassin classroom, and death parade today, it was worth the hype. i read the assassin classroom manga, and enjoyed. and the adaptation did not disappoint. i also watched the death parade ova, before the they decided to make an whole animation series. i also enjoyed it

I watched till episode 2. It's not bad, just not really my thing. I'm not much of a fan of these female super hero teams like Sailor Moon and Precure. Nothing wrong with them, just not my thing.

Finished My Little Monster last night. Didn't care much for it. It's a shame because it started off strong with the two mains kissing by episode 2. I thought this would be more of a progressive relationship rather than your typical stagnant anime romance. But nope, the romance pretty much goes no where.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-11/fairy-tail-narrator-actor-bob-magruder-passes-away/.83142

Bob Margruder, the narrator from the dub of Fairy Tail has passed away. I'll miss that voice........

Finished My Little Monster last night. Didn't care much for it. It's a shame because it started off strong with the two mains kissing by episode 2. I thought this would be more of a progressive relationship rather than your typical stagnant anime romance. But nope, the romance pretty much goes no where.
Well, that's a bummer. It's still in my Netflix queue. I started Noragami on Netflix thanks to a recommendation from a friend. Not very original, but it's not bad so far.

Well, that's a bummer. It's still in my Netflix queue. I started Noragami on Netflix thanks to a recommendation from a friend. Not very original, but it's not bad so far.
It's not all terrible, it does have it's funny moments. Definitely watch an episode or two. It just falls into the typical anime romance that we've seen a million times already.

I'm really digging Yona of Dawn. At episode 10 and I can feel this show becoming epic. Kinda reminds me of the Suikoden/ Water Margin story.

And I started watching Death Note. I read the manga and watched the live action movies but never saw the anime. I kinda forgot the details since it's been almost 10 years. I'm enjoying it, but it's so freaking contrived it's almost a joke at times. I guess that's why I like it, for the sheer absurdness of the way Light and L size each other up and play mind games.

What was everyone's gateway anime that got you hooked?

For me it was either Castle of Cagliostro, Crying Freeman or Golgo 13 (the first movie). Not sure which one I saw first but it was definitely one of those three. My dad bought a huge satellite when I was a kid and we picked up all kinds of strange channels. One channel was some independent artsy channel and on Saturday nights they had a block of anime. Mostly movies but sometimes they would air a couple episodes of something. My brother and I would watch it every week. We also caught such anime classics like Venus Wars, Robot Carnival, Barefoot Gen, Dirty Pair, etc.

I also remember in the mid 90's having my mom wake me up every Saturday morning at 6am to watch Dragon Ball. Several years before Toonami started airing DBZ.

For me it was either Castle of Cagliostro, Crying Freeman or Golgo 13 (the first movie). Not sure which one I saw first but it was definitely one of those three. My dad bought a huge satellite when I was a kid and we picked up all kinds of strange channels. One channel was some independent artsy channel and on Saturday nights they had a block of anime. Mostly movies but sometimes they would air a couple episodes of something. My brother and I would watch it every week. We also caught such anime classics like Venus Wars, Robot Carnival, Barefoot Gen, Dirty Pair, etc.

I also remember in the mid 90's having my mom wake me up every Saturday morning at 6am to watch Dragon Ball. Several years before Toonami started airing DBZ.
VHS tapes of Bubblegum Crisis

I stumbled across a VHS tape at the rental store in the kids section called Warriors of the Wind that had awesome cover art, so I begged my dad to rent it.

Nausicaa is still among my favorite anime.

From there I caught a show here and there and would record the Saturday morning anime on Sci Fi whenever I visited my grandma. Ended up seeing Project A-Ko among others that way.

The first series I purchased were 3x3 Eyes and the first volume of Oh My Goddess. Thankfully about that time I fell in with a group of like-minded friends in junior high school and we were able to split up series to make it easier on us all financially.

We built a castle with our anime once.

You guys were dorks, but good stuff. Yeah, I remember VHS tapes were crazy expensive back in the day. Only place we could find them was a Suncoast video in a mall about 45 minutes away. Back then there was no internet and I was new to the medium so it was difficult to pick out the bad from the good.

We often picked out anime based on the cover and got stuck with some real stinkers. But I remember lucking out when we picked up Golden Boy. Must've watched each episode 100 times. My greatest pleasure was showing it to friends and seeing their reaction. Esspecially those that don't normally watch anime.  

Yup, we'd go to Suncoast every Tuesday and browse the new releases. The internet wasn't advanced enough at that point to know release schedules, so we never knew when the next volume of, say, Evangelion or Blue Seed would be out. EBGames dabbled in anime and the same mall had a Sam Goody that had a small shelf of anime too.

The ritual was mall, comic shop (for manga - Gunsmith Cats, Oh My Goddess, Blade of the Immortal and Antarctic Press releases) and then to the Mongolian grill for a noodle bowl. Good times. Years ago I thought it would be fun to do the run with my wife, but it turned out Suncoast and Sam Goody had closed, EBGames had been purchased by Gamestop and moved, the comic shop had closed, and the Mongolian grill was replaced by a consignment shop.

Sucks growing up.

I was the youngest of three boys and was born in the very late 80's so I only have memories of the 90's. I was more or less limited on what to like thanks to being the youngest and of course having no internet for the longest time. DBZ was the first anime that got me into watching more but I always watched the whole Toonami block back from '96 until around the late 2000's (2007?). 

Only thing was I had a paper route so I'd miss a lot of the prime time anime but I eventually saw bits of pieces of DBZ through my brother's VHS collection of it. Then I was limited to my brother's strange taste in mostly bad harem anime with an occasional gem here and there. It wasn't until 2005 that I got cable internet and then I started going on YouTube to watch a crapton of shonen anime. Then in 2007, I finally started to buy a lot of anime -- mainly shonen stuff. I actually ran a Naruto fansite from 2008-2011 but let it go because the anime was a fillery mess and the fanbase was well, not so great. 

Now I just watch a little bit of everything. Streaming has made life a lot easier than it used to be, and CR is also a bit of a god send because you can sample a ton of anime without paying anything and legitimately. We have seriously come a long way. It's sad a lot of great anime licensors have died along the way, but I feel the anime fanbase is as strong as ever. And anime on Netflix/Hulu has also gave birth to a lot of closet anime fans.

Started out with Pokémon and DBZ when it came to Toonami. Exploded with Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo.

First anime bought was 5 random volumes of Slayers, one random volume of Evangelion, Princess Mononoke, and Tenchi Muyo in Love 1 on VHS.

First DVD series I started collecting volume by volume were Love Hina and Excel Saga. First boxset was Evangelion.

Started out with Pokémon and DBZ when it came to Toonami. Exploded with Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo.

First anime bought was 5 random volumes of Slayers, one random volume of Evangelion, Princess Mononoke, and Tenchi Muyo in Love 1 on VHS.

First DVD series I started collecting volume by volume were Love Hina and Excel Saga. First boxset was Evangelion.
I drove from southeast Idaho to Seattle to see Princess Mononoke in the theater. Excellent experience. :)

I really didn't watch much during the 2000's. I did watch Naruto on occasion and got into it, but dropped it part way into Shippuden. I just lost interest.

Then on a visit to Japan I noticed One Piece was a HUGE deal, easily trumping Naruto in popularity. I was intrigued so when I came back I decided to give it a shot and loved it. With almost 500+ episodes at the time there was no shortage. But when I finally caught up I wanted to watch other things.

A buddy recommended CR and I was hooked. Anime like Space Brothers and Hunter x Hunter really helped cement my interest.

I really didn't watch much during the 2000's. I did watch Naruto on occasion and got into it, but dropped it part way into Shippuden. I just lost interest.
Yup. I was really into the "big 3" (as it was called back then) then eventually got sick of all of them. The One Piece anime started out strong but it gradually felt like it was dragging on since it was rarely went into filler. Shippuden from what I've seen literally goes into waves of filler and canon on a constant basis. Bleach had filler arcs and of course that anime became a mess.

Although, I remember the first time I watched One Piece, it was the 4kids version on Toonami. Every time I see a dub/sub argument, I just shake my head and think of that dub.

That aside, I'm about halfway through the first season of Working!!. Fun series to watch although I'm curious on if the relationships in the series will actually go anywhere. Guess we'll see, lol.

That aside, I'm about halfway through the first season of Working!!. Fun series to watch although I'm curious on if the relationships in the series will actually go anywhere. Guess we'll see, lol.
My favorite character in that show was Sato. TBH I started messing with my daughters hair just like he does with Popura just to tease her.

As for One Piece there aren't many fillers because the show has now gone beyond DBZ when it comes to dragging the shit out of the show. The op is 2:30 minutes long, then they have a little intro to "the World of One Piece" which is about a minute. Then they recap for anywhere from 2-3 minutes. Finally after about 6 minutes of this shit we get to the real show which they drag the fuck out of it. Often it feels like nothing really happens other than the crew just endlessly running. I swear they run sooooo much in this show. It takes 5 episode for them to run from the kitchen to the bathroom. But what can you do? I guess I prefer that over nonsensical fillers.

You can always catch it on One Pace. I'm tempted to start doing that. I've been enjoying the Punk Hazard arc, but I typically wait to be behind a few episodes and then run through those all at once (skipping the first 6 - 8 minutes, of course). I'm so tired of the current opening. And to be fair, while it's a long opening they did drop the ending to make up for it.

I watched the first episode of Working!! the other day and laughed more than I have in some time. I opted to wait to catch the rest until I can get my wife to watch with me.

Watching One Piece on Hulu sucked since you have to watch the ads also, but now that it's on CR I just skip to the 5 minute mark and I'm good. I was just venting a little.

Hope you enjoy Working!!. 

Back when Tate's use to rent anime, they recommended Bubblegum Crisis 2040. It got me interested in seeing more which led to Princess Mononoke. After that I randomly tuned in to Toonami and saw an episode of The Big O. Since 2002 I've been hooked on what Cartoon Network has aired. This was also the first time I saw Dragonball Z which got me into the habit of buying anime DVD's.

Back when Tate's use to rent anime, they recommended Bubblegum Crisis 2040. It got me interested in seeing more which led to Princess Mononoke. After that I randomly tuned in to Toonami and saw an episode of The Big O. Since 2002 I've been hooked on what Cartoon Network has aired. This was also the first time I saw Dragonball Z which got me into the habit of buying anime DVD's.
Tate's... I haven't been there in a long time.

Starting the second Working anime last night. Same stuff, more episodes. Pretty much settled that not much will change with the characters so it keeps that lighthearted vibe but I'm fine with that. 

bread's done
Back