Anime Thread Sky Sapphire. Materialise. Start!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='jaykrue']And so doth the Soul Society Arc ends... and according to the previews, it seems they're gonna jump straight into the next storyline (if they're following the manga).[/QUOTE]

Actually, next episode will be the end of the Soul Society arc, with the randomness that ensues now that everyone's favorite now-emo-glassesless villain has left. From some of the rumors I've heard, a lot of the filler arc is gonna be filling in what happened between Ichigo and Company's return from SS and the start of the school year. There's a decent amount of the summer I believe left when they return, yet it went right into the school year. So I'm imagining we'll have a sort of filler but not a filler arc coming up. But we'll see in a couple weeks.

Bleach ch 209 summary is out and can be found here:
http://www.bleachforums.com/showthread.php?t=11353

I was really hoping for someone to die (Renji, because he never seems to win, or Hitsugaya because I'd just love the fan boys/girls' reactions), but the chances of that seem to be slipping away,
we also get some background on the Allankar this chapter about their numbers and ranks relative to those

[quote name='LiquidNight']Bleach ch 209 summary is out and can be found here:

I was really hoping for someone to die (Renji, because he never seems to win, or Hitsugaya because I'd just love the fan boys/girls' reactions), but the chances of that seem to be slipping away,
we also get some background on the Allankar this chapter about their numbers and ranks relative to those[/QUOTE]
Well, that explains why they've been getting whomped so far.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Bleach ch 209 summary is out and can be found here:

we also get some background on the Allankar this chapter about their numbers and ranks relative to those[/QUOTE]

well the whole power things makes sense, it was mentioned in the 2nd fight between Ichi and Renji, though Ichigo will prob get his ass handed to him and prob need a certain archer to pop up.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']well the whole power things makes sense, it was mentioned in the 2nd fight between Ichi and Renji, though Ichigo will prob get his ass handed to him and prob need a certain archer to pop up.[/QUOTE]
God, I hope so. All these shinigami strutting around need a Quincy to take them down a peg.

[quote name='jmcc']God, I hope so. All these shinigami strutting around need a Quincy to take them down a peg.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I mean I like seein shinigami fight, and I usually like seein them win, but they need to lose too. They need to struggle too, not just be allowed to use their full powers and then win. Having them powerup and win effortlessly makes me care much less for the characters.

I gotta say, in continuing my ability to start way too many animes and not finish them, I've started watching Elfen Lied in addition to Monster and some others, and I gotta say, Elfen Lied is greatly exaggerated in how good it is. It's decidedly meh through five episodes. It so far has me caring more for the "side" main characters (mainly Mayu) more than anyone else in the show. We'll see how it changes as I watch the rest, but so far it's nowhere near as good as some people make it out to be. Monster easily blows it away quality-wise.

[quote name='karsh']I gotta say, in continuing my ability to start way too many animes and not finish them[/QUOTE]
I'm exactly the same way
[quote name='karsh']I've started watching Elfen Lied in addition to Monster and some others, and I gotta say, Elfen Lied is greatly exaggerated in how good it is. It's decidedly meh through five episodes. It so far has me caring more for the "side" main characters (mainly Mayu) more than anyone else in the show. We'll see how it changes as I watch the rest, but so far it's nowhere near as good as some people make it out to be. Monster easily blows it away quality-wise.[/QUOTE] personally, I really enjoyed Elfen Lied, but I can see how the first few episodes would be meh,
I'm 72.8% through the first batch of monster and I'll be able to see which I like more then, although I loved the monster manga

[quote name='karsh']I gotta say, in continuing my ability to start way too many animes and not finish them, I've started watching Elfen Lied in addition to Monster and some others, and I gotta say, Elfen Lied is greatly exaggerated in how good it is. It's decidedly meh through five episodes. It so far has me caring more for the "side" main characters (mainly Mayu) more than anyone else in the show. We'll see how it changes as I watch the rest, but so far it's nowhere near as good as some people make it out to be. Monster easily blows it away quality-wise.[/QUOTE]
I've been saying the same thing about Elfen Lied for over a year now. Very, very average... don't expect it to improve much.

I'm happy you're enjoying Monster, though!

Okay..I'm up to the last episode of Elfen Lied, and it at least got a little bit better. Still not as great as some people make it out to be, but definitely better than average. It started getting at least somewhat better when it started going into the past of Kouta and Lucy. Time to see if this last episode can make this anime into something "great" like most people make it out to be, or if I'll just be disappointed.

[quote name='karsh']Okay..I'm up to the last episode of Elfen Lied, and it at least got a little bit better. Still not as great as some people make it out to be, but definitely better than average. It started getting at least somewhat better when it started going into the past of Kouta and Lucy. Time to see if this last episode can make this anime into something "great" like most people make it out to be, or if I'll just be disappointed.[/QUOTE]

You'll probably be disappointed, my feelings are pretty similar to Kirin's, I think the show is all style and no substance. I didn't think it was any better than average at all At first I thought I was alone with a select handful in not liking it, but since the DVDs have come out they've achieved some less than impressive reviews, IIRC even AoD.com rated most of the series' content in the C range, which for them is not that great.

Okay. It's definitely not one of my favorite animes, but it isn't horrible. I'd probably give it like a C+ if we were going on a scale like that. At first it came off as all style with little substance, but that seemed to grow a bit as the show went on, as the backstory came out. I just don't know what to think about the show. My only question is, are we left to just assume who that was at the end at the door, or can I make a safe assumption it's who I think it is?

EDIT: Okay. After reading a small bit about the manga, I'm gonna say it was Lucy at the end, since apparently in the manga, when a diclonius loses both of their horns, they lose the ability to use their vectors and lose their drive to kill. Since we saw the second horn come flying off in that last scene before the "epilogue" type ending, I think it had to be Lucy at the door in the epilogue.

[quote name='karsh']EDIT: Okay. After reading a small bit about the manga, I'm gonna say it was Lucy at the end, since apparently in the manga, when a diclonius loses both of their horns, they lose the ability to use their vectors and lose their drive to kill. Since we saw the second horn come flying off in that last scene before the "epilogue" type ending, I think it had to be Lucy at the door in the epilogue.[/QUOTE]but if she lost the 2nd horn, she'd be dead, because if I remember correctly, she lost the 2nd one to the sound of gunshots, correct?

anyways, I got Monster and I just cant stop watching it,
almost as good as the manga, its very well done

[quote name='LiquidNight']but if she lost the 2nd horn, she'd be dead, because if I remember correctly, she lost the 2nd one to the sound of gunshots, correct?

anyways, I got Monster and I just cant stop watching it,
almost as good as the manga, its very well done[/QUOTE]

True. And I know I shouldn't be comparing directly to the manga, but she loses the second horn there to some ballistic cruise missiles from what I've been told. So I'd imagine if she can live through that, she might just be able to live through some machine gun fire.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm doing it, I'm going to order this because I have to. Just reading the description is too much fun.[/QUOTE]

I thought that once as well. Sadly, the juice was not worth the squeeze. :cry:

[quote name='jaykrue']I thought that once as well. Sadly, the juice was not worth the squeeze. :cry:[/QUOTE]
I know it's shit, but that's why I'm getting it.

Ok, I am giving in and downloading the first episode of Bleach. Since these topics are pretty much Bleach and Naruto oriented I figured it would be worth trying at least one. My Bittorent connection on my XP machine seems slow as hell though. I had much faster results on my ME machine. I wonder why that is. I configured Kerio to let Bittorrent connect and there shouldn't be anything else I need to do. 4kb downloads suck...

I'll eventually give Bleach and Naruto a try when they finish with the whole series (which is probably a long time from now). Until then, I got Mai Otome, Black Cat, and some random series (right now, Gundam Seed Destiny) to hold me over.

Unforunately, no Mai Otome until next weekend and Black Cat three weeks from now. :(

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Ok, I am giving in and downloading the first episode of Bleach. Since these topics are pretty much Bleach and Naruto oriented I figured it would be worth trying at least one. My Bittorent connection on my XP machine seems slow as hell though. I had much faster results on my ME machine. I wonder why that is. I configured Kerio to let Bittorrent connect and there shouldn't be anything else I need to do. 4kb downloads suck...[/QUOTE]
Windows' own fruity firewall is off, right?

Bleach is definitely worth watching. Naruto, I'm becoming meh about. Not just because of the filler, but because Bleach definitely passed it a LONG time ago as far as quality went. I'd go as far as to say that the best parts of Bleach blow the best parts of Naruto out of the water. I can't wait till the next new Mai-Otome though. It looks like things are finally starting to get to the really good part of the show, much like what happened with HiME. Especially since they've now actually stated that Mai actually exists in Otome's world.

Been downloading since 12:45. 40.7% complete... 5 hours remaining....

I'm gonna try that Live action Sailor Moon but it will probably take a month of downloading at this rate.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Been downloading since 12:45. 40.7% complete... 5 hours remaining....

I'm gonna try that Live action Sailor Moon but it will probably take a month of downloading at this rate.[/QUOTE]

Well, I hope you're not expecting much from the Sailor Moon LA. It's just about as cheesy as the cartoon (if not moreso). The girls are cute but total jailbait as such only someone like subbie would approve. :lol: Bleach will be good though. The first episode starts off w/ a bang.

[quote name='jaykrue']Well, I hope you're not expecting much from the Sailor Moon LA. It's just about as cheesy as the cartoon (if not moreso). The girls are cute but total jailbait as such only someone like subbie would approve. :lol: Bleach will be good though. The first episode starts off w/ a bang.[/QUOTE]

Sailor Moon was one of the first anime I remember seeing on local TV (UHF reception no less) where I live so I had to watch it. There was nothing else. The cartoon is cheesy but I liked it. I have been surious about the live action ever since I heard about it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Been downloading since 12:45. 40.7% complete... 5 hours remaining....[/QUOTE]If you're having too much trouble getting good speeds for the anime, then I recommend the manga, which is, IMO, better than the anime

New Beet to download tonight. :) I guess I'm the only one here that watches it. :whistle2:( I'm loving it though.

I'm going to catch up on my Bleach episodes while 61 and 62 download. 52-53 is up first, the intro seems new from the last time I watched the show.

[quote name='karsh']Bleach is definitely worth watching. Naruto, I'm becoming meh about. Not just because of the filler, but because Bleach definitely passed it a LONG time ago as far as quality went. I'd go as far as to say that the best parts of Bleach blow the best parts of Naruto out of the water.[/QUOTE]The only place where Bleach is superior IMO is the humor.

Bah...I've already discarded all your opinions most of the time Subbie. Naruto's been just meh overall. It was good during the Chuunin Exam, but I think it went downhill with the Save Sasuke arc. Mainly because there were so many dips in animation it wasn't even funny throughout that arc. One fight would look amazing and the next five would be so horribly animated it wasn't even funny. And we won't start on the whole filler arcs in comparison. The fights are definitely a lot more entertaining in Bleach.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']The only place where Bleach is superior IMO is the humor.[/QUOTE]

I think the character development is better in Bleach, we really know nothing about anybody in Naruto cept for a few. I guess you could pull the old they are ninjas hence mysterious, but a thing that helps drive a show in my opinion is if u care if the main characters do well. In Naruto I only really care about Shino, Jiraiya, Gaara, and Naruto when he doesnt annoy me. Most of those characters arent even in the show that often. I guess when it all comes down to it I hate Sasuke.

[quote name='karsh']Bah...I've already discarded all your opinions most of the time Subbie. Naruto's been just meh overall. It was good during the Chuunin Exam, but I think it went downhill with the Save Sasuke arc. Mainly because there were so many dips in animation it wasn't even funny throughout that arc. One fight would look amazing and the next five would be so horribly animated it wasn't even funny. And we won't start on the whole filler arcs in comparison. The fights are definitely a lot more entertaining in Bleach.[/QUOTE]Actually I haven´t liked the Bleach fights in general. They just aren´t as interesting to me, and the overall quality seems to be lower. Yoru/Soi was good, but it was so much better in my mind. Filler is another thing altogether.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I think the character development is better in Bleach, we really know nothing about anybody in Naruto cept for a few. I guess you could pull the old they are ninjas hence mysterious, but a thing that helps drive a show in my opinion is if u care if the main characters do well. In Naruto I only really care about Shino, Jiraiya, Gaara, and Naruto when he doesnt annoy me. Most of those characters arent even in the show that often. I guess when it all comes down to it I hate Sasuke.[/QUOTE]

A few? We've learned about Sakura and Ino's relationship and past, Naruto's whole history, Sasuke's whole history, the story of Shikamaru and Chouji's friendship, Hinata and Neji's troubles and differences as a result of their bloodlines, Rock Lee's determination to improve himself despite his weeknesses, Gaara's troubled past and his move to being a good guy, the whole growth and relationship between the Konoha ninja, Naruto's relationship with Tsunade, and much more. The only people I could see being "mysterious" is Shino, Tenten, Kankuro, Temari, and most of the sensei's (at least before the time jump). The story keeps many of these ninjas from appearing all that often as it's unnecessary to just throw them in when there's no need for them to be there.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Actually I haven´t liked the Bleach fights in general. They just aren´t as interesting to me, and the overall quality seems to be lower. Yoru/Soi was good, but it was so much better in my mind. Filler is another thing altogether.[/QUOTE]
Hell, both Bleach *and* Naruto have been seemingly beaten relentlessly with the mediocrity stick. Too bad that hasn't stopped anyone from talking about them like they're something greater than what they are.

Even when some really terrific stuff goes on sale at Amazon, like Gankutsuou, what do people zero in on? Tenjou Tenge! UGH!! You people should be ashamed...

There, I said it. I feel better.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Even when some really terrific stuff goes on sale at Amazon, like Gankutsuou, what do people zero in on? Tenjou Tenge! UGH!! You people should be ashamed...

[/QUOTE]

Sorry. :oops: :lol:

I actually hadn't heard of Gankutsuou yet but I had been reading the Tenjho Tenge manga and liked it.

Well heck, they have episodes of Bleach on Youtube. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by just watching them there.

Kirin Lemon, is R.O.D. the TV better than the movie they showed on Cartoon Network? I loved that movie.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Hell, both Bleach *and* Naruto have been seemingly beaten relentlessly with the mediocrity stick. Too bad that hasn't stopped anyone from talking about them like they're something greater than what they are.

Even when some really terrific stuff goes on sale at Amazon, like Gankutsuou, what do people zero in on? Tenjou Tenge! UGH!! You people should be ashamed...

There, I said it. I feel better.[/QUOTE]
Look at it like this: Bleach and Naruto and Tenjou Tenge are the sports of the anime world. Baseball, football and...uh...beach volleyball I suppose, respectively. The series you like to watch are the poetry slams and interpretive dance recitals of the anime world. So you can't really expect them to be as popular.

[quote name='jmcc']Look at it like this: Bleach and Naruto and Tenjou Tenge are the sports of the anime world. Baseball, football and...uh...beach volleyball I suppose, respectively. The series you like to watch are the poetry slams and interpretive dance recitals of the anime world. So you can't really expect them to be as popular.[/QUOTE]

I'm guess Azumanga Diaoh would be the "Calvinball" of the anime world, then?

[quote name='JSweeney']I'm guess Azumanga Diaoh would be the "Calvinball" of the anime world, then?[/QUOTE]
I suppose so, though it's not exclusive to that series.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Kirin Lemon, is R.O.D. the TV better than the movie they showed on Cartoon Network? I loved that movie.[/QUOTE]
In my opinion, yes. At first I didn't think so, because the TV series started out much slower and has much less action in the first half. As it continued, thanks to those "slower" episodes, I found myself really falling in love with the characters, and now I much prefer those character-based episodes to the all-out action ones. The main cast are some of my most favorite anime characters ever, now.

[quote name='jmcc']Look at it like this: Bleach and Naruto and Tenjou Tenge are the sports of the anime world. Baseball, football and...uh...beach volleyball I suppose, respectively. The series you like to watch are the poetry slams and interpretive dance recitals of the anime world. So you can't really expect them to be as popular.[/QUOTE]
I agree with that to a point. It's truly unfortunate that shows with better storytelling and production values go ignored (Monster, Gankutsuou, R.O.D, Princess Tutu) in lieu of these vapid action-fests. Don't get me wrong, I think there's still a place for stuff like Naruto and InuYasha - I've been known to watch them when I need a quick fix and don't feel like watching anything deeper - but people are *really* missing out on some of the finer stuff out there because they're not broadening their horizons. But hey, at least I got a few people to check out Monster, so I'm happy for that.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I agree with that to a point. It's truly unfortunate that shows with better storytelling and production values go ignored (Monster, Gankutsuou, R.O.D, Princess Tutu) in lieu of these vapid action-fests. Don't get me wrong, I think there's still a place for stuff like Naruto and InuYasha - I've been known to watch them when I need a quick fix and don't feel like watching anything deeper - but people are *really* missing out on some of the finer stuff out there because they're not broadening their horizons. But hey, at least I got a few people to check out Monster, so I'm happy for that.[/QUOTE]
Paranoia Agent taught me to never trust "deep" series, nor any recommendations of such, ever again.

[quote name='jmcc']Paranoia Agent taught me to never trust "deep" series, nor any recommendations of such, ever again.[/QUOTE]
I enjoy Paranoia Agent, but not nearly as much as some other people. The final episodes really didn't bring it to a satisfying end, in my opinion. Satoshi Kon has put out some great stuff, though, my favorite being Perfect Blue. "Deep" doesn't always equal quality, especially if done poorly.

I think "smart" would be a better word to describe the shows I like. Gankutsuou and Monster are smart. There's all sorts of stuff I enjoy that aren't all serious, too - for example, Azumanga Daioh is probably my third-favorite anime of all time, because it's just so damn *good*.

I think anime is probably one of the most subjective genres out there. It depends on just who you are, everyone will like something a little different. While I tend to agree with Kirin that Naruto and to some degree Bleach are two of the most overhyped shows ever, action shows are the only ones some people like and therefore they have their merits. To be honest, with the exception of a few series I never cared too much for any comedy series, and that's just how I am. I feel like I can get much more interested in a show that has more action or drama than say comedy. I'm particularly partial to good storytelling and character development, if something doesn't have those I lose interest pretty quick.

Sure it's a shame that some great series never got much buzz (we all have out favorites), then again it gives us the chance to suggest those shows to people and get the word out.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Sure it's a shame that some great series never got much buzz (we all have out favorites), then again it gives us the chance to suggest those shows to people and get the word out.[/QUOTE]
Plus, there's always the wonderful feeling of elitism from watching something that everyone else is too dumb to enjoy.

[quote name='jmcc']Plus, there's always the wonderful feeling of elitism from watching something that everyone else is too dumb to enjoy.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Well I guess so. But honestly, I find some of the "deep" shows unwatchable simply because they seem confusing for the sake of being confusing. All style, no real substance behind it and that will hardly ever hold my attention. I mean I too disliked Paranoia Agent, Elfen Lied is hack work IMO, I wasn't a fan of Excel Saga, .Hack was an interesting concept that got way too intellectual. Hell I don't even care for FLCL hardly at all (though I admit the comedy is occasionally funny) because I thought it was too hard to understand the story and characters.

I suppose you sort of have to know what people are like too, whenever people ask for a recommendation I'm not going to tell them to start watching something "deep" like Ghost in the Shell, Lain (another I didn't care for too much), or Wolf's Rain if your favorite anime is Naruto. If something doesn't have the plot or characters to grab me early in the series/film it's hard for me to stay interested.

I suppose I'm in the minority here as I enjoy a wide selection of anime genres instead of being particular. I've enjoyed the actionfest of Naruto/Bleach as well as plotless but funny shows like Azumanga Daioh/Pani Poni Dash & switching gears to watch sports anime such as Prince of Tennis/Eyeshield 21 or artsy life-imitates-art-imitates-life shoujo fare like Honey & Clover or Paradise Kiss. The way I see it is that anime should be judged solely on its individual merits & not because it belongs to any single genre.

Oh yeah, I am only on episode 5 of Honey and Clover right now but I am liking it so far.

I like seeing a wide variety of anime. The beauty of animation is that the only limit to what you can show is in the imagination of the creators. I like comedy, action, even a little bit of drama now. I am pretty sure I am one of the few people with GoldenBoy and Saint Tail (which I haven't seen yet) in their collections :lol: . I don't care if it is cute, deadly serious, or bizarre. When it comes to anime I'm very open-minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back