Assassin's Creed 3 releasing October 30th, American Revolution confirmed!

If not for the fact Ubisoft drops the price of these Assassin's Creed games like a rock I might be turned off by all the extra paid content. Also, where the hell are the reviews. How can you preview the crap out of this game and then not have reviews on day one? I hope this is not MoH all over again. I will still pick this up but considering I am still on Brotherhood I won't open it for the 60 days I can PM to see if I cannot get it for like $30 + $20 RZ cert.

[quote name='cancerman1120']If not for the fact Ubisoft drops the price of these Assassin's Creed games like a rock I might be turned off by all the extra paid content. Also, where the hell are the reviews. How can you preview the crap out of this game and then not have reviews on day one? I hope this is not MoH all over again. I will still pick this up but considering I am still on Brotherhood I won't open it for the 60 days I can PM to see if I cannot get it for like $30 + $20 RZ cert.[/QUOTE]

There are a couple of user viewers on Metacritic, and it doesn't sound good:

"I am gonna get right to the point here. This game is NOT good. It has some redeeming qualities like the graphics and cinematics. But there seems to be a continuing theme for so many AAA titles. They just want so badly to be liked. They put cinematics and set pieces above everything else. This game is no different. It is basically cutscene, 2 minutes of gameplay, cutscene, 4 minutes of gameplay, cutscene, 3 minutes of gameplay. AND then you consider that the gameplay is usually walking around or riding on a horse. This is pretty bad. The game also starts off incredibly slow. Conner, the main character, is not nearly as likeable as Ezio or Altair, and his motives seem at times either predictable or just iffy. When the game picks up though, you notice just how simplistic the combat is. It is clear that they wanted to ripoff the Arkham games, especially if you pay attention to the music that plays during combat. It is nearly the same exact music found in Arkham City. BUT the combat found in AC3 is no where near as fluid or polished or fun as the Arkham games. Not even close. It fails hard. Glitches also plague the combat, as well as the overall main game. Horses glitching out, muskets flying around, enemies teleporting, some clipping issues, and dialogue glitches are forgivable I guess, but freezing camera glitches and getting stuck in terrain forcing you to restart is just pushing it. Add to this, braindead AI that is some of the worst I have ever seen in a video game, and you have a very pretty game that is anything but good. PLEASE don't be fooled by the marketing. This is a failure from Ubisoft. Not recommended. "

Could this game be another flop?!?!? If so, I'm calling 2012 as one of the lousiest years ever for gaming. The holiday season is already weak on releases and now the big titles aren't getting good reviews.

Really? I can't say a whole lot on the game just yet, BUT. I played about 2 1/2 hours last night and I did not see any glitched horses or flying muskets or enemies teleporting. Worst AI in a video game? Clearly that person has never played Raccoon City. Not really sure the issues he had with the AI, but so far they seem normal to me. Sure there are a lot of cinematics, but personally I think it makes the game more interesting. I will put a few more hours into it today and see how it pans out.

[quote name='beetlegum']

Could this game be another flop?!?!? If so, I'm calling 2012 as one of the lousiest years ever for gaming. The holiday season is already weak on releases and now the big titles aren't getting good reviews.[/QUOTE]
Besides borderlands 2 I agree if AC3 is as shitty as that review says but I'm about to find out soon whenever UPS comes

Have any of the games in the series ever been reviewed well? Honest question, because I always assumed that they were. I've played through each a couple times and love them, but know many other gamer friends that think they are the worst series ever created.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Have any of the games in the series ever been reviewed well? Honest question, because I always assumed that they were. I've played through each a couple times and love them, but know many other gamer friends that think they are the worst series ever created.[/QUOTE]

From Gamerankings (all xbox 360 versions)

82.73% - Assassins Creed
90.49% - Assassins Creed 2
90.59% - Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
79.37% - Assassins Creed: Revelations

And id agree that Brotherhood was the best one. Revelations just felt like Brotherhood with tower defense, bombs, and boring desmond levels.

Well that is not an actual review by a Games Website. It is someone on Metacritic giving their take of the game. The user reviews were at 7.9. Also, there is a patch that may not have been available that fixes 44 bugs in the game which should make it a better experience. We will know in about 20 min what the media thinks of it.

G4TV 5/5
IGN 8.5/10
GameInformer 9.5/10
Destructoid 7.5/10
Joystiq 7/10
Eurogamer 9/10
GameSpot 8.5/10
Polygon 8/10 Arthur Gies who is usually pretty harsh
Official Xbox Mag 8.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
People seriously need to stop treating every disgruntled user review as the gospel and pony up a couple of bucks for a rental should any pre-launch concerns reach critical mass. Granted the industry has been so profit driven lately that you can't afford to completely ignore reviews, but man... if I took every criticism to heart I wouldn't have much of a library to speak of.

Since Sandy cockblocked me via power outage in the area of my local Kmart I have to wait until tomorrow to later this week to get my copy. Any impressions (especially multiplayer) would be appreciated.

For anybody who pre-ordered and already picked up from Gamestop. Is the extra Gamestop exclusive DLC on the receipt or inside the game box?

[quote name='ajh2298']For anybody who pre-ordered and already picked up from Gamestop. Is the extra Gamestop exclusive DLC on the receipt or inside the game box?[/QUOTE]
In the box on it's own sheet with pictures!

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']People seriously need to stop treating every disgruntled user review as the gospel and pony up a couple of bucks for a rental should any pre-launch concerns reach critical mass.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, this ^ Especially on Metacritic; I've never gotten anything out of the user reviews there, while even those on Amazon are informative once in awhile.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']People seriously need to stop treating every disgruntled user review as the gospel and pony up a couple of bucks for a rental should any pre-launch concerns reach critical mass. Granted the industry has been so profit driven lately that you can't afford to completely ignore reviews, but man... if I took every criticism to heart I wouldn't have much of a library to speak of.

Since Sandy cockblocked me via power outage in the area of my local Kmart I have to wait until tomorrow to later this week to get my copy. Any impressions (especially multiplayer) would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I don't treat any review as gospel. Different games appeal to different people. For me, I would probably give Portal 2 a harse review because I hate puzzle games.

AC3 is different though because it's easy to buy into the hype and believe that this game is going to be freaking awesome. It won a ton of E3 awards, great trailers, and advertised heavily on tv. It's hard not to feel burned when it receives less than glowing reviews. The same thing happened last year with Rage. I bought into the hype and pre-ordered. It got horrible reviews and tanked in price fast making me feel like an idiot for shelling out $59.99.

From my perspective, if the holiday season is going to be trimmed down to just a handful of titles, they better be AAA must play games.

[quote name='shotgunshine']If it doesn't at least have a 95 average on Metacritic then i'm not playing it. Looks like i'll be returning this.[/QUOTE]

Lol

[quote name='shotgunshine']If it doesn't at least have a 95 average on Metacritic then i'm not playing it. Looks like i'll be returning this.[/QUOTE]

I am guessing this is a joke. If not then I think you have played maybe 4-5 games this generation. :lol:

[quote name='beetlegum']Different games appeal to different people. For me, I would probably give Portal 2 a harse review because I hate puzzle games.[/QUOTE]

For that reason alone I take both professional and user reviews with a grain of salt. You never know to what degree personal preference/bias is clouding the reviewers judgment. I would have never bought and enjoyed Xenosaga when I was younger if I let everyone whining about the cutscenes deter me.

AC3 is different though because it's easy to buy into the hype and believe that this game is going to be freaking awesome. It won a ton of E3 awards, great trailers, and advertised heavily on tv. It's hard not to feel burned when it receives less than glowing reviews. The same thing happened last year with Rage. I bought into the hype and pre-ordered. It got horrible reviews and tanked in price fast making me feel like an idiot for shelling out $59.99.

From my perspective, if the holiday season is going to be trimmed down to just a handful of titles, they better be AAA must play games.

Buying into hype machines is one thing (especially if you've been fortunate enough to have never been lied to or disappointed by a beloved developer), but demanding a AAA experience or none at all from every IP you're interested in is something else altogether.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Did anyone else not get the DLC from Bestbuy for their Pre-Order? I didn't get an email or anything printed on the reciept.[/QUOTE]

Same here, sounds like we may need to email them or something.

[quote name='shotgunshine']LOL@wants attention. I'm just being silly.

Liking the game so far...slow start but its starting to pick up.[/QUOTE]

Ill agree it does start off slow, and there is an excessive amount of cutscenes to start the game.

Yeah, it is pretty cut scene heavy. I'll cut the game some slack with the slow start. Its been a while since i've played but I remember Assassin's Creed 2 starting off slow...I hated the first one but decided to try the second....almost gave up with how slow it was going. Glad I stuck with it, as I love that game.

Question for anyone whose made it a decent way through the game. Do you get to play as Desmond a lot more? And is the story awesome? (spoiler-free please!)

[quote name='Bezerker']Holy crap. The mini games in this make me want to pull my hair out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i tried two of the mini games and i got dominated.

Played for an hour or two and ive noticed people pop in, and sometimes shadow. I installed the game to my hard drive too. I found a floating gun with bayonet, and a lady in quick sand. :D

A6gPxDDCMAA8Db-.jpg:large

Oh and i love the gun fights so far.... shoot, ... reload which takes two minutes, shoot again. LOL.

Finished the first three sequences and I already had some frustrating moments. The first (and hopefully only time) you pick the lock on a door gave me problems. I kept over rotating clockwise the sweet spot and it felt like I couldn't rotate it counter clockwise so I'd have to go super slow on the analog stick. I also was frustrated with the third part of the third sequence. That one needs a few choice checkpoints, especially if you're going for 100% synchronization.

Wow at the big twist at the end of sequence 3.

I'm still having fun but I'm slightly disappointed with the issues I'm having. I'm not gonna try out the multi until I'm done with the single player (if at all) but hopefully there is less tension. It was pretty fun but I could only play for a short period before the tension of not knowing who is PC and who is an NPC got to me.

I really like playing as the british assassin. It'd be like if sherlock holmes were an assassin and he were out trying to figure out crimes while killing templars in between them

[quote name='shotgunshine']LOL@wants attention. I'm just being silly.

Liking the game so far...slow start but its starting to pick up.[/QUOTE]
Haha. Yeah, it is pretty fun.

I found a treasure and i couldnt pick that lock for the life of me. Tried like 6+ times and it would never open. :(

Im getting tired of being this guy, i want to be connor already. So far i did a few missions, but whenever i get an AC game i always hit the towers to reveal more of the map to me. So i was running around doing a lot of that. Nice that i can run around and not have guards being suspicious of me or trying to kill me.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Regarding the MP, is it on par with Revelations? The MP in that one was very fun and I'm hoping this one meets or exceeds it.[/QUOTE]

I really like it. The new wolf pack mode is quite fun

[quote name='greyzieoriental']Did anyone else not get the DLC from Bestbuy for their Pre-Order? I didn't get an email or anything printed on the reciept.[/QUOTE]

Sure it wasn't like Gamestop where it's a DLC code in the box? And said box has the BB logo on a stripe along the top that says Best Buy Edition? (GS version says Gamestop along the top of course.)

If I unlock the Boston viewpoints in the first few sequences as
Connor's Dad
, do they stay unlocked for Connor or will I have to re-climb those areas as Connor?

Man, I'm just not so sure about it so far. I've had numerous frustrating controls & mission moments and I'm only a few hours in. And god damn this is the slowest start to an AC game yet. And the "cut scene, walk a few steps, cut scene, walk a few steps" criticism is totally on the nose.

Yeah if that's one thing negative I can say so far is the cut scene walk two steps cutscene. I said outloud WHY EVEN LET ME WALK?!? but other than that I'm totally loving the game.

[quote name='polly']Man, I'm just not so sure about it so far. I've had numerous frustrating controls & mission moments and I'm only a few hours in. And god damn this is the slowest start to an AC game yet. And the "cut scene, walk a few steps, cut scene, walk a few steps" criticism is totally on the nose.[/QUOTE]

I hear that. Also the combat fighting seems a bit slow. Maybe i just remember batman AC fighting. Its not bad though, maybe too easy? Might get harder later into the game. I think im on sequence 3.

Haha, i ran into a cougar and it growled at me and the rawr was echoing. Then i was trying to get some cup shape symbol and fell down into a ditch, walked around and walked into a dead zone and got desynchronized. LOL. Sometimes this game allows you to fall a long distance and somehow land fine.

I had a bit of wee laugh at the end of sequence 3. I said
WAIT WHAT outloud while Desmond said what at the same time

[quote name='The 7th Number']I hear that. Also the combat fighting seems a bit slow. Maybe i just remember batman AC fighting. Its not bad though, maybe too easy? Might get harder later into the game. I think im on sequence 3.[/QUOTE]

I think it's because you can't chain insta-kills anymore. Sometimes you'll get the canned animation of killing one after another if you attack after a parry but I couldn't get anymore after that.

[quote name='GUNNM']I had a bit of wee laugh at the end of sequence 3. I said
WAIT WHAT outloud while Desmond said what at the same time
[/QUOTE]

Just finished that part and I did the same thing lol.

bread's done
Back