AVENGERS 2: Age of Ultron (5/1/15) - Final Trailer

[quote name='giantqtipz']which avengers are you?

rfta.jpg

i got this bitch wtf?[/QUOTE]

either no one knows which movie this guy is from or i made a bad joke... i think its the latter..

but just in case.. the guy is from the 1998 "The Avengers"

LOL idk i found that funny

[quote name='giantqtipz']either no one knows which movie this guy is from or i made a bad joke... i think its the latter..

LOL idk i found that funny[/QUOTE]

It always a sign of a bad joke when you have to explain it a few posts down the page. If it makes you happy I got it.

[quote name='giantqtipz']either no one knows which movie this guy is from or i made a bad joke... i think its the latter..

I got the joke but you would have gotten more points for referencing the 1961 Avengers. The 1998 movie was just fucking awful.

[quote name='camoor']I got the joke but you would have gotten more points for referencing the 1961 Avengers. The 1998 movie was just fucking awful.[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

Yeah when i looked up just Avengers on Google a while back it kept coming up with the show/movie.

So apparently we are getting an Avengers game -- for Wii U and Kinect. I can't post the link from my phone but Avengers: Battle for Earth is coming from Ubisoft.

so what do studios care more about domestic, international or combined total amount? I've seen movies do crap in domestic, really good in international but is considered a failure by the studio.

I got it even before I saw the text. Still trying to wipe that movie from my memory. I'd say that its worth a watch just to see Connery steal every single second of screen time hes on, but thats a big stretch. Its no surprise that when it came out on DVD way back in the dark ages of 1st quarter of 1999 that its MSRP was $15 bucks. And yes, my memory goes back that far.

[quote name='ITDEFX']so what do studios care more about domestic, international or combined total amount? I've seen movies do crap in domestic, really good in international but is considered a failure by the studio.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the movie. Studios have expectations for each region so it is possible for a movie to be a failure in one region but a success in another. There are a ton of variables that must be taken into account but it basically boils down to the costs associated with development, distribution, localization etc of each movie and what kind of ROI the studio sees.

For a movie like the Avengers, the studio expects it to perform very, very well in every region.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Depends on the movie. Studios have expectations for each region so it is possible for a movie to be a failure in one region but a success in another. There are a ton of variables that must be taken into account but it basically boils down to the costs associated with development, distribution, localization etc of each movie and what kind of ROI the studio sees.

For a movie like the Avengers, the studio expects it to perform very, very well in every region.[/QUOTE]

yeah because there are comic book nerds in EVERY REGION OF THE WORLD! :lol:

however I am wondering though... does this include the 3-d/imax showing figures/2-d only/or everything total?

Saw it last night again in IMAX this time and picked up on a few things I missed previously...

Actually quite a few:

- When Stark and Banner were talking between the computer screen, Banner's reflection on the screen was the Hulk.

- Cap kind of had a gut feeling about Loki's plan even before Black Widow got it out from him, "Loki's winding us up". And you can see that Cap and Stark were sweating / clutching their heads as if they were being influenced too.

- Loki joking with Thor that humans think a 30,000 death trap drop would kill them.

- After Thor falls off the sky, rather than call for his hammer like he did the entire film, he clutches his fist and just tries to pick it up normally as if asking himself if he is still worthy (the theme in his Thor film).

- The Other telling Thanos "to fight them, is to court Death" is actually a comic book reference, since Death is a character with Thanos.

6343d1274282005-thanos-death-diorama-1thanosdio7.jpg

...there was probably more.

[quote name='ITDEFX']is thanos the equivalent of Apocalypse in the marvel universe?

[/QUOTE]

In terms of scheming and ruthlessness, yes.
In terms of power, Thanos rapes.

[quote name='ITDEFX']is thanos the equivalent of Apocalypse in the marvel universe?[/QUOTE]

Thanos & Apocalypse are the same universe. But yeah, Thaos would kick his ass.

Thanos is pretty much the Darkseid of the Marvel universe.

So what is the deal with marvel movies and buttons? Listening to a podcast and they were talking about how most marvel movies end with some type of button scene.

Having watched very little superhero movies in the last 10 years I didnt know what they were talking about.

[quote name='Soodmeg']So what is the deal with marvel movies and buttons? Listening to a podcast and they were talking about how most marvel movies end with some type of button scene.

Having watched very little superhero movies in the last 10 years I didnt know what they were talking about.[/QUOTE]

I've just about seen every comic book movie in the last 10 years and have never heard about buttons. Care to elaborate?

EDIT: Maybe "button" is film-talk for teaser?

Anyway, saw Avengers in XTG 3D last night (AMC's slightly bigger IMAX screen).

The 2D showings were sold out an hour in advance, so we went the XTG/IMAX 3D route and it was beaufiful! We sat on the 7th/8th row and the 3D was really in FULL effect:

- The moment the scene starts with the Staircase in space was beautiful as if you were walking those steps.

- The Tessarac blowing up in your face.

- Scenes with Black Widow pointing the gun at you, and turning her back with that ass in 3D.

- The last 30 minutes with the giant Leviathan coming right at you, the explosions, and the aliens flying by were great!

- There were a couple of scenes where Iron Man is fighting the aliens and the camera has a view of you basically inside his armored mask cockpit, and those were so awesome in IMAX 3D coz it felt like you were Iron Man flying and blowing up aliens.

Not just that, but the sound was just massive! Not only was it good, but it was so hard-hitting even our seats vibrated!

Overall great experience!

Don't know about XTG, but The Avengers run on IMAX theathers is apparently very Limited, and will likely end after this week becuase of their contract with WB to play Dark Shadows and keep films like Wrath of the Titans on.

[quote name='Rodimus']Thanos & Apocalypse are the same universe. But yeah, Thaos would kick his ass.

Thanos is pretty much the Darkseid of the Marvel universe.[/QUOTE]

Oops I meant Darkseid of the DC Universe...

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Anyway, saw Avengers in XTG 3D last night (AMC's slightly bigger IMAX screen).

The 2D showings were sold out an hour in advance, so we went the XTG/IMAX 3D route and it was beaufiful! We sat on the 7th/8th row and the 3D was really in FULL effect:

- The moment the scene starts with the Staircase in space was beautiful as if you were walking those steps.

- The Tessarac blowing up in your face.

- Scenes with Black Widow pointing the gun at you, and turning her back with that ass in 3D.

- The last 30 minutes with the giant Leviathan coming right at you, the explosions, and the aliens flying by were great!

- There were a couple of scenes where Iron Man is fighting the aliens and the camera has a view of you basically inside his armored mask cockpit, and those were so awesome in IMAX 3D coz it felt like you were Iron Man flying and blowing up aliens.

Not just that, but the sound was just massive! Not only was it good, but it was so hard-hitting even our seats vibrated!

Overall great experience!

Don't know about XTG, but The Avengers run on IMAX theathers is apparently very Limited, and will likely end after this week becuase of their contract with WB to play Dark Shadows and keep films like Wrath of the Titans on.[/QUOTE]

You know what's weird..... I wonder why they had the Tessarac set up like that and the setup at the other end where Loki appeared? It was really obvious something was going to happen in that spot. SHIELD just knew it was a power source and not a teleporter...

This also throws the end credit scene for Thor off...... how the hell could Loki influence the Dr. (what's his face) when they never met and when Loki was in the other realm.

Oh man, I think everyone would have LOVED to have seen some sort of teaser (on one of STARK's computer displays) of the HULK Buster armor. That really need to be seen in the Avengers 2.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Oh man, I think everyone would have LOVED to have seen some sort of teaser (on one of STARK's computer displays) of the HULK Buster armor. That really need to be seen in the Avengers 2.[/QUOTE]
Interesting. Maybe they did but no one noticed!

Joss Whedon comments on why that one thing happened to that one character (article contains spoilers).

[quote name='ITDEFX']
This also throws the end credit scene for Thor off...... how the hell could Loki influence the Dr. (what's his face) when they never met and when Loki was in the other realm.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe he scouted ahead, or sent a projection of himself. We don't know all of Loki's wheelings and dealings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well saw it last night and was disappointed. Kinda of boring, slow beginning, too much infighting. Overall I said it's decent and not the greatest superhero movie some people made it out to be.

Great interview about black Nick Fury and Agent Coulson being introduced to the Marvel comics universe! Weird considering... you know.

[quote name='j.t']Well saw it last night and was disappointed. Kinda of boring, slow beginning, too much infighting. Overall I said it's decent and not the greatest superhero movie some people made it out to be.[/QUOTE]

Well, ya can't buy taste. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303505504577402182924310476.html

The Avengers obliterates 2nd weekend record, hits $1 billion worldwide

"The Avengers" earned a record-setting $103.2 million in its second weekend in North American theaters, according to early estimates from Walt Disney Co. DIS +0.62% and its Marvel Studios.

This brings the superhero film's cumulative domestic box-office take to $373.2 million and its world-wide gross to just over $1 billion in just 19 days of release.

The second-weekend domestic gross of "The Avengers," which dropped 50% from the film's opening weekend of $207.4 million, is now the highest on record.

It was the 1st time a movie has earned more than $100 million its second weekend out. The previous record holder was James Cameron's fantasy epic "Avatar," which earned $75.6 million its second weekend.

So a guy at work says he found a plot hole: how could the Hulk control his anger (at least torwards him team) near the end? Best I could think up on the fly was he's the Hulk, his mood and actions are diffrent depending on the situation, he's unpredictable, the wild card. I also said he willfully went into the transformation without holding back and getting his anger built up. He was focused on the Chitari.

I also said he does have the ability to recognize friends and loved ones as shown with Betty Ross in the previous films.

You guys think this was a correct assessment?

[quote name='Rodimus']So a guy at work says he found a plot hole: how could the Hulk control his anger (at least torwards him team) near the end? Best I could think up on the fly was he's the Hulk, his mood and actions are diffrent depending on the situation, he's unpredictable, the wild card. I also said he willfully went into the transformation without holding back and getting his anger built up. He was focused on the Chitari.

I also said he does have the ability to recognize friends and loved ones as shown with Betty Ross in the previous films.

You guys think this was a correct assessment?[/QUOTE]

The idea is that after the end of The Incredible Hulk, he learned to control when he transforms. There are actually tons of variations/incarnations of the Hulk in comics (10+ I believe), with some giving Banner more controls over Hulking out (and the Hulk's personality) than others. You're right - and the movie version of the Hulk isn't too much different from the Mighty Avengers version, except in the cartoon he stays in Hulk form most of the time.

Each of Hulk's transformations happened for different reasons. When they were on the Helicarrier,
Banner hulked up as a result of the Hulk's self-preservations instincts. Banner had just experienced a sizable amount of physical injury, so Hulk took control. During the battle with the Chitari, Banner hulked up because he wanted to hulk up. Since the Hulk aspect didn't take control, it didn't have control. Or something like that.
That's what I took away from it, anyway...

At the end of the standalone Incredible Hulk movie, the last shot appears to be him willingly activating his Hulk-iness (plus a significant theme in the movie is Banner learning how to avoid losing control), so I didn't have a problem with anything he did in Avengers.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Each of Hulk's transformations happened for different reasons. When they were on the Helicarrier,
Banner hulked up as a result of the Hulk's self-preservations instincts. Banner had just experienced a sizable amount of physical injury, so Hulk took control. During the battle with the Chitari, Banner hulked up because he wanted to hulk up. Since the Hulk aspect didn't take control, it didn't have control. Or something like that.
That's what I took away from it, anyway...[/QUOTE]
That's a really solid explanation!

I mentioned on the previous page, having seen the film again something I noticed on my 2nd viewing was that...
- Captain America already had a gut feeling about Loki's plan even before Black Widow got it out from him. His line, "Loki's winding us up" alluded to his suspicions. Also, you can see that while arguing, both Cap and Stark were sweating and/or clutching their heads, especially Stark as if they were sort of being influenced too. The scene then shifts to the Gem in Loki's staff glowing.

What wasn't told in the movie about Loki's staff, if you remember was given to him by the alien being (and considering it would have easily given away the mid-credit scene), and reading some comic book forums too, was that his staff contained...

The Soul gem part of the Infinity Gauntlet held by Thanos.

Wiki: "This gem is sentient and has a hunger for souls. Allows the user to steal, control, manipulate and alter souls, living or dead. The gem is the gateway to an idyllic, pocket universe."

So basically it's one of those easter eggs Joss Whedon threw in for those that read the comics.

In the movie, the Soul gem can control and influence people (Loki controlling Hawkeye, and influencing the Avengers in the Helicarrier) as well as open another universe (portal in space). It definitely had some sort of an effect on Banner too after he clutched it while getting wound up.

Couple people already mentioned that we know in the movie, "The Incredible Hulk", Banner was shown being able to control the Hulk in the end of the film. But the whole time in "The Avengers"...

Banner kept telling anyone that would listen that bringing him on board is a big mistake if the Hulk gets unleashed. Meaning, even if he had found some way to indeed control the Hulk, he still doesn't trust himself entirely.

Black Widow in the very beginning had mentioned that Banner had been without incident for over a year though, and maybe his self-preservation insticts did kick in after the explosion knocked him over. He had already pretty wound up at that time too.

But before he transformed, he was concious enough to warn Black Widow to get away, and even slid down a floor to be as far away from her as he could, as if knowing he won't be able to control THIS particular transformation.

[quote name='GUNNM']Speaking of cartoon hulk -- planet hulk is on netflix its pretty good.[/QUOTE]
The comic book is actually WAY better (and much longer). Planet Hulk is one of the best comic book stories written.

But yeah, Planet Hulk the animation is pretty good.

I took it to mean that Banner more or elss has learned to control the Hulk, or rather control his anger I should say. Just like a normal person though, he sometimes loses control if someone has really pissed him off or he's been hurt, as in the case of the stuff falling on top of him on the helicarrier. At the end of the movie when he said "I'm always angry" I took that to mean that he has to constantly control his anger (and thus the Hulk), but he can also choose to let loose as well when he wants to. As long as he has control of his anger, he can basically control when he hulks out, if he loses control of his anger then he loses the ability to control when he hulks out.

edit-I also think this controls Hulk's intelligence, as he seemed more intelligent a the end of the film, he knew who the good guys were and all. Whereas on the helicarrier, when he was raging, he was attacking everyone.

[quote name='Soodmeg']EDIT: I got it.....they referring to a scene after the credits. I know them as either post credit Easter egg or their proper name Movie Coda...they call them buttons. [/QUOTE]

I have also heard of 'putting a button on a scene'

Like how David Caruso gives those cheesy one-liners at the start of every CSI: Miami

You know it's coming, you expect it, and the scene won't be complete without it...

[quote name='Jcaugustine']That's a really solid explanation!

I mentioned on the previous page, having seen the film again something I noticed on my 2nd viewing was that...
- Captain America already had a gut feeling about Loki's plan even before Black Widow got it out from him. His line, "Loki's winding us up" alluded to his suspicions. Also, you can see that while arguing, both Cap and Stark were sweating and/or clutching their heads, especially Stark as if they were sort of being influenced too. The scene then shifts to the Gem in Loki's staff glowing.

What wasn't told in the movie about Loki's staff, if you remember was given to him by the alien being (and considering it would have easily given away the mid-credit scene), and reading some comic book forums too, was that his staff contained...

The Soul gem part of the Infinity Gauntlet held by Thanos.

Wiki: "This gem is sentient and has a hunger for souls. Allows the user to steal, control, manipulate and alter souls, living or dead. The gem is the gateway to an idyllic, pocket universe."

So basically it's one of those easter eggs Joss Whedon threw in for those that read the comics.

In the movie, the Soul gem can control and influence people (Loki controlling Hawkeye, and influencing the Avengers in the Helicarrier) as well as open another universe (portal in space). It definitely had some sort of an effect on Banner too after he clutched it while getting wound up.

Couple people already mentioned that we know in the movie, "The Incredible Hulk", Banner was shown being able to control the Hulk in the end of the film. But the whole time in "The Avengers"...

Banner kept telling anyone that would listen that bringing him on board is a big mistake if the Hulk gets unleashed. Meaning, even if he had found some way to indeed control the Hulk, he still doesn't trust himself entirely.

Black Widow in the very beginning had mentioned that Banner had been without incident for over a year though, and maybe his self-preservation insticts did kick in after the explosion knocked him over. He had already pretty wound up at that time too.

But before he transformed, he was concious enough to warn Black Widow to get away, and even slid down a floor to be as far away from her as he could, as if knowing he won't be able to control THIS particular transformation.
[/QUOTE]

If the staff was powered by one of the gems (and I believe it was), then it would be the blue mind gem which allows Thanos to control even the most noble of minds. Plus, it's blue and the soul gem is green, but yeah I'm pretty sure it was an infinity gem from the guantlet.

Saw it over the weekend and was very impressed with it. Best comic book movie I've seen to date.

I did notice that some of the backplot was missing to me, though that's because I haven't seen the Thor, Captain America or The Incredible Hulk movies. It's clear to me that the Thor and Captain America movies had some important fill-in-the-gaps materials, though does Incredible Hulk have anything worth going back to for filling in some gaps?

Really only Thor has any important plot details since it's the same villain.

Captain America helps with some references to things he says in the movie, what the power cube thing is etc. but nothing all that important.

Hulk doesn't really tie in much at all.

[quote name='shrike4242']Saw it over the weekend and was very impressed with it. Best comic book movie I've seen to date.

I did notice that some of the backplot was missing to me, though that's because I haven't seen the Thor, Captain America or The Incredible Hulk movies. It's clear to me that the Thor and Captain America movies had some important fill-in-the-gaps materials, though does Incredible Hulk have anything worth going back to for filling in some gaps?[/QUOTE]
The Incredible Hulk can explain his "control" issue. And it also explains the Super Soldier Serum since it was used in that movie before Captain America's. RDJ also has a cameo in the film.

Basically it's a nice tie in with some reference to both the 1st Iron Man film and the Captain America film.

[quote name='GUNNM']Speaking of cartoon hulk -- planet hulk is on netflix its pretty good.[/QUOTE]
The book is really good. I myself got the tradepaperback. So good I practically read all 400+ pages in basically a day.

planet-hulk.jpg

Avengers currently holds the following records:

(All are in the #1 position, obviously)

Best opening week
Top single Saturday gross
Top single Sunday gross
Top theater average of all time for a wide release (Previously held by Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour)
Top theater average of all time for a wide release opening weekend
Top summer start
Top opening weekend (Beat out HP: DH Part 2 by almost $38M)
Top opening weekend for the month of May (Beat Spider-Man 3 by $56M)
Top opening weekend for Summer
Top 3-Day gross
Top 4-Day gross
Top 5-Day gross
Top 6-Day gross
Top 7-Day gross
Top 8-Day gross
Top 9-Day gross
Top 10-Day gross
Top second weekend of all time (Shattered Avatar's record by nearly $28M)
Top opening weekend for a rated PG-13 movie
Fastest to $100M
Fastest to $150M
Fastest to $200M
Fastest to $250M
Fastest to $300M
Fastest to $350M

Can't wait to see how The Dark Knight will fare.

[quote name='Scorch']Avengers currently holds the following records:

(All are in the #1 position, obviously)

Best opening week
Top single Saturday gross
Top single Sunday gross
Top theater average of all time for a wide release (Previously held by Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour)
Top theater average of all time for a wide release opening weekend
Top summer start
Top opening weekend (Beat out HP: DH Part 2 by almost $38M)
Top opening weekend for the month of May (Beat Spider-Man 3 by $56M)
Top opening weekend for Summer
Top 3-Day gross
Top 4-Day gross
Top 5-Day gross
Top 6-Day gross
Top 7-Day gross
Top 8-Day gross
Top 9-Day gross
Top 10-Day gross
Top second weekend of all time (Shattered Avatar's record by nearly $28M)
Top opening weekend for a rated PG-13 movie
Fastest to $100M
Fastest to $150M
Fastest to $200M
Fastest to $250M
Fastest to $300M
Fastest to $350M

Can't wait to see how The Dark Knight will fare.[/QUOTE]

It will do well but no way will TDKR beat out the Avengers in any of these records.

TDKR can't pull in kids which means it's going to not be able to fill seats during the day.

It will be an incredible movie, an instant classic, but it won't set any box office records.

[quote name='HanawayCoca']The Incredible Hulk can explain his "control" issue. And it also explains the Super Soldier Serum since it was used in that movie before Captain America's. RDJ also has a cameo in the film.

Basically it's a nice tie in with some reference to both the 1st Iron Man film and the Captain America film.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the clarification about Incredible Hulk. I knew Thor and Cap America had ties from what I picked up, though I didn't have the time to see either one of those before going to The Avengers.

I know they pointed at that item in the movie and assumed it was in there somewhere.

bread's done
Back