[Back in stock] Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on Amazon for $40

[quote name='GrimmFandango']Probably from the SMT first-timers who got it from Play-Asia or Amazon and quickly got their butt handed too hard.[/QUOTE]

They seem to be opened versions of the reprint. Most people picking these up in stores are finding them to be practically pristine (minus those people who got the box-cutter maligned versions). Some are also reconditioned copies that are being circulated to stores, they'll have a label on the case with an R on it.

Just got a email that mine shipped today!

Woot

Woot

Woot

Finishing Persona 2 and now I have Nocturne and FES to play

Woot woot

i ordered my copy on 4/29, and it still hasn't shipped. i sent them an email and haven't received a reply yet. this is ridiculous.

Damn, looks like Atlus was fed up with all those emails XD. I got my copy soon after that 2nd shipment, which Atlus would have gave a special edition/ tincase or something. Oh well, Nocturne still rocks eitehr way.

i ordered it and it didnt work in my 60gb PS3 so i sent it back, hopefully ill get a refund for it, never returned anything to amazon before

[quote name='ThisIsJackBauer']i ordered it and it didnt work in my 60gb PS3 so i sent it back, hopefully ill get a refund for it, never returned anything to amazon before[/quote]

Playstation.com reports it as working fine for the 60GB. Maybe you should report it.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Publisher: AtlusProduct No: SLUS-20911
Description: No major problems for this title.

I looked through a couple of forums and people are reporting mixed problems with the game. Some people have issues with freezing, others with long load times, and still others that can't even get the game to load. Sounds like a bit of a crapshoot.

[quote name='thelonepig']I looked through a couple of forums and people are reporting mixed problems with the game. Some people have issues with freezing, others with long load times, and still others that can't even get the game to load. Sounds like a bit of a crapshoot.[/quote]

thats not good..

especially since im not planning to play this til sometime later.. probably a few months caz im still tryin to clear up some games in the backlog.. -___- anyone here encounter any problems with the game?

[quote name='ThisIsJackBauer']i ordered it and it didnt work in my 60gb PS3 so i sent it back, hopefully ill get a refund for it, never returned anything to amazon before[/quote]

What do you mean by didn't work? Did it simply not play or was it freezing? I also have this still sealed sitting on my game shelf as I'm trying to finish up a couple of things before I play it but I also have a 60gb and would hate for this not to work...I really don't want to hook up my ps2 just to play one game :/

[quote name='bigl523']What do you mean by didn't work? Did it simply not play or was it freezing? I also have this still sealed sitting on my game shelf as I'm trying to finish up a couple of things before I play it but I also have a 60gb and would hate for this not to work...I really don't want to hook up my ps2 just to play one game :/[/QUOTE]

I've had various copies of the game from the original printings that worked on 60gb PS3s. I have the LE version right now, works fine on my 60gb.

Maybe they pressed it on a cheaper disc or something.

While I don't necessarily like to send people to the Gamefaqs forums, that's where I found the most complaints. Here are a few threads detailing the problems. It looks like if you have a defective copy, it's going to be defective whether you play it on the PS3 or the PS2.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=582958&topic=43024043

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=582958&topic=43137859

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=582958&topic=43109973

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=582958&topic=43024043

[quote name='StarKnightX']It's great that there going and printing so many copies finally , now if they would only reprint DDS then I'd be set.[/quote]

This was reprinted along with DDS, but DDS is not the deluxe edition and this doesn't contain the soundtrack.

[quote name='bigl523']What do you mean by didn't work? Did it simply not play or was it freezing? I also have this still sealed sitting on my game shelf as I'm trying to finish up a couple of things before I play it but I also have a 60gb and would hate for this not to work...I really don't want to hook up my ps2 just to play one game :/[/quote]when i loaded it up the PS2 logo came up then it went to a black screen and never left that, left it 10 minutes and nothing, i searched on gamefaq i think and a few other people had that problem too. i think it is a rare occurance so you should be fine.

[quote name='Rozz']This was reprinted along with DDS, but DDS is not the deluxe edition and this doesn't contain the soundtrack.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah , at GS right? Completly forgot about that. I was hoping that Amazon starts carrying it is what I should've said. Might end up picking DDS up from GS next time I'm there anyway.

the copies of DDS in store at GS I've seen were slashed to hell, still wondering if Amazon is gonna get any new copies?

after reading all that i had to crack it open and test it. seems to be working just fine. load times seem normal, but i onlt went to the intro and the special section, then turned it off. where does the lag/freezing happen in game?

oh yeah, and life seems to like pwning me.. (dds pwnage: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4286338&postcount=323)

my manual had a huge crease..
a2b66a2d.jpg

Great news for me too, the back cover of my game is totally messed up. The paper sleeve seems to somehow torn and it just looks kinda awful. God damnit i don't know what to do.

well i opened up my copy and played it for about 30 minutes including one battle and all is well. i had a play-asia copy if that makes it any different.

[quote name='abhinav']Great news for me too, the back cover of my game is totally messed up. The paper sleeve seems to somehow torn and it just looks kinda awful. God damnit i don't know what to do.[/QUOTE]

This happened with my copy, too. I noticed that the slip cover was bent on the back underneath the shrink wrap. I sent it back to Amazon for a replacement.

[quote name='jchen']Are those damaged copies from amazon? makes me want to order from playasia instead.[/quote]

nope. my copy was from playasia. i really have no idea how the manual got that retarded crease..

[quote name='jeremywoods']nope. my copy was from playasia. i really have no idea how the manual got that retarded crease..[/quote]

That sucks, I'm sorry. Mine came from Play-asia, and there was nothing wrong with it.

[quote name='Antic']That sucks, I'm sorry. Mine came from Play-asia, and there was nothing wrong with it.[/quote]

its alright i guess. as long as the most important part of the package (the game) is perfect and working

[quote name='fairtrade']Christ, back in stock again? How many of these fuckers did they make when they reprinted???[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing a lot... Atlus has to reprint in massive numbers if they want to actually turn a profit on these. The more they print, they lower they can sell them at and still pull a profit.

If the Rhapsody/Persona 2 reprint are anything to go by, then each Gamestop will have at least 2-3 copies sitting around within a few months.

well...they don't have to print a lot to make a lot of money-at this stage, all they gotta pay is the actual material cost (we are assuming they've already amortized all the developing expenses in the years past-there's also the setup fee, which I am going to say that it'll be minimal if they are reprinting in any meaningful quantity)-bottom line, any copy they print, even one (virtually speaking) will be generating actual gross profit.

man, I've seen 1-3 of these on GS shelves at every single store I've been to (roughly 10 different stores in the past 2 weeks)...definitly a huge reprint occured.

and of course, they all look brand new, but they are marked as used...gotta love GS

After reading about the defects, I decided to test my game. When I opened it, there were white flakes all over the inside. The flakes probably came from the manual. I guess it was left over from when it was cut to size. I had to brush the flakes from the case as well as the top & bottom of the disc. I then played the game, and no problems so far. For anyone that had any gameplay glitches, were there white flakes on your disc?

[quote name='Peanut932']When I opened it, there were white flakes all over the inside. The flakes probably came from the manual. I guess it was left over from when it was cut to size. I had to brush the flakes from the case as well as the top & bottom of the disc. I then played the game, and no problems so far. For anyone that had any gameplay glitches, were there white flakes on your disc?[/quote]

When I received the game and carried it with one hand, I heard a wobbling sound coming from the inside of the case -- usually, that means the disc is loose. But when I opened the case, the disc was seated firmly on its toothy spindle. Removing the disc, I found the flakes you mentioned, as well as a bit of black powder. These dusted the disc as well. I blew as much of it off as I could, applied tape and then a disc cleaner. The dust was gone, but the surface didn't look immaculate (and still doesn't).

By the way: The manual was in perfect condition.

I then played through the first chapters of the game and got as far as the Labyrinth of Amala. No glitching, frustrating load times or issues arose whatsoever.

One tiny spot on the disc's surface still worries me. I'm debating whether to keep it or send it back and run the risk of worse problems with a replacement.

If only there were a way to quickly check game discs from beginning to end. Nocturne is epic. It isn't as if I'll have 40 hours to play this weekend.

It would be aces if there were an auto-check function on next-gen consoles, wouldn't it? Your PS3 would scan your disc for errors and generate a report.

[quote name='fidgeteer']I blew as much of it off as I could, applied tape and then a disc cleaner. The dust was gone, but the surface didn't look immaculate (and still doesn't).[/quote]

I used a soft lens brush to brush off the flakes, gently moving from the inside ring to the outside edge. I didn't see any black powder; just the white paper flakes. I have the silver slim PS2. Do the glitches have anything to do with the PS2 model?

update: The game froze as I was entering Shibuya. The white screen pops up, and it just stays there. I guess the white flakes had nothing to do with it. :bomb:.........fuck !!!!!!

all yous guys who have it sealed better open it up and see if it works or not!!!

i got it off amazon in april and opened it this past sat only to find out that it takes forever to load
the 30day return window is over so..............

[quote name='kp_assman']all yous guys who have it sealed better open it up and see if it works or not!!!

i got it off amazon in april and opened it this past sat only to find out that it takes forever to load
the 30day return window is over so..............[/QUOTE]

Shoot an email to atlus - you never know

bread's done
Back