Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck, I have both Gundam Wing Anime Legends sets plus that movie sealed. I have yet to watch any of them. I guess I could start on it before watching Seed. I take it Gundam series really don't matter the order?

[quote name='killa5k7']Heck, I have both Gundam Wing Anime Legends sets plus that movie sealed. I have yet to watch any of them. I guess I could start on it before watching Seed. I take it Gundam series really don't matter the order?[/QUOTE]

Order doesn't matter unless you're watching Universal Century (which Wing and Seed aren't part of).

So yes, you can watch Seed and Wing in any order.

[quote name='killa5k7']Heck, I have both Gundam Wing Anime Legends sets plus that movie sealed. I have yet to watch any of them. I guess I could start on it before watching Seed. I take it Gundam series really don't matter the order?[/QUOTE]

When I posted that it was a blank picture, no description, and the seller had 0 feedback. Lol

Any update on your anime shop?
I made an order for G Gundam from an Amazon marketplace seller, who has still not confirmed shipment. Hoping he is just not aware of how it works rather than the worst scammer ever, since he doesn't get my money until he confirms shipment anyways. AnimeHaru charged me days ago with no sign of shipping, so I sent them a request to ship immediately or cancel and refund. So, as that is pending, I'm curious to see if your guy got any new stock.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Any update on your anime shop?
I made an order for G Gundam from an Amazon marketplace seller, who has still not confirmed shipment. Hoping he is just not aware of how it works rather than the worst scammer ever, since he doesn't get my money until he confirms shipment anyways. AnimeHaru charged me days ago with no sign of shipping, so I sent them a request to ship immediately or cancel and refund. So, as that is pending, I'm curious to see if your guy got any new stock.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to stop by the store yet. I've been at work till well past his closing hours. But I trust him to hold stock for me. Im off tomorrow so ill swing by and get an update. Alot of stuff he orders is direct from Japan. So the shipment time varies. But he said he has about 7-8 new boxes of various bandai titles coming in.... we will see. I don't expect him to steer me wrong though he's is quite savvy about most anime titles and is an avid collector of rare, oop, LE, and SE anime and cosplay stuff. As soon as I know ill be posting picks and list of titles. It may all come in separate shipments like I said its all a family owned business including his shippers in Japan lol. But its one of the best anime shops in the MidSouth.

I know this one hasn't really become hard to get yet, but I found the Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society blu-ray in Walmart for $6 today. It was on an end cap with a bunch of other $6 movies. Might be worth checking your local store for it if it's one that you still want.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Do the stand alone DVDs from Bandai have solid features?[/QUOTE]

Besides a clean OP & ED, Bandai's discs have no features. FYI, there is also no english dub for it(at least for R1 DVD), as Bandai released it sub-only.

As for why Squarehard was saying that. I think it's due to the fact that most, if not all, of the R0 anime stuff is bootlegs. So if you buy the R0 boxset, you'll probably get episodes that possibly might be tv rips, with poor subs or maybe subs from some fansub group.

[quote name='tangytangerine']As for why Squarehard was saying that. I think it's due to the fact that most, if not all, of the R0 anime stuff is bootlegs. So if you buy the R0 boxset, you'll probably get episodes that possibly might be tv rips, with poor subs or maybe subs from some fansub group.[/QUOTE]

You might as well pirate so the bootleggers don't get money from what they don't have the right to sell. Not that I'm telling you to actually pirate; I just really hate profiting off piracy.

Pretty much what everybody above me has noted.

Not a fan of bootlegs, so it's not even a question which you should be going with at least with me, and the majority of everybody else here.

Quick question.

Looking through a thread (I think it was this one) I read that Bandai pretty much just uses whatever cases they have on hand to release stuff. I just got a new copy of Bebop Remix in the ultra-compact (same size as a regular DVD case) clear plastic they used for things like Seed Destiny. Looks 100% legit, but I've never seen it outside the thick, scanovo packaging before. Is this just a new print run from before they packed up shop? I wouldn't be worried, but it means they also had to resize the artwork insert or else it would have been too large.

Also, like 80% there on my Gundam collection, and I haven't had to pay TOO much to get it that way. Just missing a few pieces that I haven't found for the right price yet.

edit: N/m confirmed it for myself in the last chance to get Bebop thread. Of course If I'd purchased it then I would have payed less!

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Quick question.

Looking through a thread (I think it was this one) I read that Bandai pretty much just uses whatever cases they have on hand to release stuff. I just got a new copy of Bebop Remix in the ultra-compact (same size as a regular DVD case) clear plastic they used for things like Seed Destiny. Looks 100% legit, but I've never seen it outside the thick, scanovo packaging before. Is this just a new print run from before they packed up shop? I wouldn't be worried, but it means they also had to resize the artwork insert or else it would have been too large.

Also, like 80% there on my Gundam collection, and I haven't had to pay TOO much to get it that way. Just missing a few pieces that I haven't found for the right price yet.

edit: N/m confirmed it for myself in the last chance to get Bebop thread. Of course If I'd purchased it then I would have payed less![/QUOTE]

Yeah I got it from best buy awhile back that way. Im almost done with my gundam stuff too. My shipment from my local shop was a bit of a flop. Some stuff I needed but not alot of anything. All I need for Gundam now for US releases(from Bandai) is a couple of the movies. Need Endless Waltz, Char's Counter Attack, and F91. I really want the F91 and Char's Counter Attack blus however. I really wish someone would pick up gundam wing and endless waltz for blu releases but I doubt it will happen. After that its buying the Unicorn blus as they become cheap and other than that idk I want igloo, zz, victory, and age just to be complete but we probably will never see US releases of those.

[quote name='Vash1306']Don't expect the Gundam Unicorn Blu-Ray to become cheap :p[/QUOTE]

I just mean like the first episode price is(or was?) it was about 28$ on amazon not that long ago(I may be thinking of another site though... I've been looking at the prices of gundam on alot of websites lately. The rest are around the 50$ or higher mark. If they hit about 25$-30$ price range ill buy them over time. If not well it'll be a bit longer between purchases. But I'll still go after them.

I am hoping that FUNi will eventually license and be able to release their own Blus of Unicorn. I absolutely refuse to pay $150-$200 for a 6-episode series. Across 6 discs even!

Yeah, I need Mobile Suit Gundam Anime Legends part 2. I have the singles, which I actually prefer because of the extra artwork and such. But the singles won't fly because they lack the Japanese track and subs.

For other missing content I just need the Seed Destiny movies, Destiny Final Plus and the Zeta movies. These are more optional, but I like being thorough!

Oh, and I have G-Gundam complete, but I want the boxes instead, so I found box 1 and 2, but still need box 3 and 4. And I guess the same is true for Seed Destiny, but they don't even have any inserts, so that one is low priority to get the individual cases in collector's boxes to replace my Legends sets.

And then UC 2-6. I thought about waiting for a set, but I don't know if there will be one, and I'm not hopeful about someone licensing them for a reasonable price. So anyways, I'm hoping to find them for sub 40 new, and trying to buy before they run out of stock just in case.

Doesn't make sense for Bandai Japan to even license Gundam UC because they already release it with the dub directly themselves. People are buying, so why license to a different company to sell for less :p

Most Bandai Blu-rays come with english subs now (Gundam Age, Gundam Seed HD Remaster). So its safe to assume that is Bandai's new business model toward English speaking fans =/

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Yeah, I need Mobile Suit Gundam Anime Legends part 2. I have the singles, which I actually prefer because of the extra artwork and such. But the singles won't fly because they lack the Japanese track and subs.

For other missing content I just need the Seed Destiny movies, Destiny Final Plus and the Zeta movies. These are more optional, but I like being thorough!

Oh, and I have G-Gundam complete, but I want the boxes instead, so I found box 1 and 2, but still need box 3 and 4. And I guess the same is true for Seed Destiny, but they don't even have any inserts, so that one is low priority to get the individual cases in collector's boxes to replace my Legends sets.

And then UC 2-6. I thought about waiting for a set, but I don't know if there will be one, and I'm not hopeful about someone licensing them for a reasonable price. So anyways, I'm hoping to find them for sub 40 new, and trying to buy before they run out of stock just in case.[/QUOTE]

I have all 4 of the G-Gundam boxes, and the Legends and singles sets for MSG also. But I do need Final Destiny Plus and im actually getting the Zeta Movies this afternoon. I haven't started purchasing UC yet either beyond 1. Luckily its not TOO difficult from what I've seen to get the other movies I want on dvd but the blus are murder to find at a half decent price. Actually something I really want is a replacement cover for my eureka seven complete collection vol. 2. Mine is torn in the center of the spine and I can't find a good copy of the cover to print out to replace it. If someone here has one could you please make a scan of it and pm me? Ill pay. But back on topic. I also am looking for the Ghost in the Shell Blus they are difficult to come by. The originals not the "remasters".

Last edited by a moderator:
So, wait. Is there any Gundam released on Blu-Ray in Japan that is not officially available in America (or, er, was officially available) with an official english language subtitle track? And if so, is the translation quality work? To clarify, is there any Gundam with an official English language translation that I can buy only as a Japanese import?

[quote name='DNukem170']I think the Gundam SEED Blu-ray set has the English dub and subtitle track, but it costs over $400.[/QUOTE]

It's over $600 for just SEED. No Destiny included.

[quote name='elessar123']It's over $600 for just SEED. No Destiny included.[/QUOTE]

I guess it was discounted back then. I saw it at Otakon last year for about $450 or so.

Does anyone happen to know where i can get a replacement cover or quality scan for eureka seven complete collection vol. 2? The one i have is torn at the spine. Can anyone print me a quality scan of the cover? I really hate not having artwork mint. I'd gladly compensate you for your trouble.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Does anyone happen to know where i can get a replacement cover or quality scan for eureka seven complete collection vol. 2? The one i have is torn at the spine. Can anyone print me a quality scan of the cover? I really hate not having artwork mint. I'd gladly compensate you for your trouble.[/QUOTE]

Good question. I would really love a good quality scan of Lucky Star Volume 6...I picked it up with no case at a local used cd/dvd place and it drives me crazy to have everything complete BUT the artwork.

[quote name='DNukem170']I think the Gundam SEED Blu-ray set has the English dub and subtitle track, but it costs over $400.[/QUOTE]Nope, just subtitle. 48 episodes split into 4 blu-ray sets. Destiny set is coming out this summer and is split into 4 sets as well.

[quote name='Vash1306']Nope, just subtitle. 48 episodes split into 4 blu-ray sets. Destiny set is coming out this summer and is split into 4 sets as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Seed/Seed Destiny blu-rays are considered "remastered". Which basically means upscale resolution, improved animation in parts and some scenes have been altered a bit.

Since it's not the original video source, there's no way to put that english dub on there without it being out of sync with the new video. So that's why those are sub only.

Its ridiculous how many great anime went oop, I'm sure most of them will be picked up soon but it might be curtains for the more less popular stuff.

I wonder if it would be worth doing a kick-starter or something similar to get some of the more niche titles licensed here again.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Its ridiculous how many great anime went oop, I'm sure most of them will be picked up soon but it might be curtains for the more less popular stuff.

I wonder if it would be worth doing a kick-starter or something similar to get some of the more niche titles licensed here again.[/QUOTE]

a kickstarter to get oop animes in print again eh? interesting idea. i suppose its worth the effort.

that said is there any news on what animes funimation and whoever else are trying to wrestle out of bandai?

[quote name='kayne2000']that said is there any news on what animes funimation and whoever else are trying to wrestle out of bandai?[/QUOTE]

FUNimation and Section23 aren't allowed to comment until the anime license deal goes through. Especially since both have had licenses swiped from them at the 11th hour (One Piece for FUNi and Gurren Lagann for Section 23).

[quote name='DNukem170']FUNimation and Section23 aren't allowed to comment until the anime license deal goes through. Especially since both have had licenses swiped from them at the 11th hour (One Piece for FUNi and Gurren Lagann for Section 23).[/QUOTE]

well yes i figured that much but this stuff sometimes leaks out anyway so i guess nothing has been leaked out???

Has anyone ever seen banner of the stars 3 on dvd I cant find it anywhere I look im not even sure they sold it on dvd.

[quote name='jeff1304']Has anyone ever seen banner of the stars 3 on dvd I cant find it anywhere I look im not even sure they sold it on dvd.[/QUOTE]

Nope. They only did Banner II. I am not sure they even did a re-release of the Stars series.

[quote name='DNukem170']Nope. They only did Banner II. I am not sure they even did a re-release of the Stars series.[/QUOTE]
There is a banner of stars 1 & 2, and a Crest of Stars. Unless he is talking about the individual single volumes. There are 3 of each version of Banner of Stars and 4 in Crest of Stars.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']There is a banner of stars 1 & 2, and a Crest of Stars. Unless he is talking about the individual single volumes. There are 3 of each version of Banner of Stars and 4 in Crest of Stars.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all 3 shows got an 3-4 individual volume release, complete collection and then a Anime Legends collection. Crest of the Stars has two complete collections(one is 2003 & the other is 2004) & all 3 shows' individual volumes had a re-release in 2004 due to Bandai switching distributors in 2004. There's no difference between those two versions by different distributors. All 3 shows Anime Legends collection were in print up until Bandai Entertainment shut down.

Banner of the Stars 3 didn't get release here due to the low sales with Banner of the Stars II. I know that was brought up on a recent ANNcast about Bandai.

i usually avoid torrents likea plague i like to support the stuff i watch but i guess no one will sell banner of the stars 3 in the states :whistle2:(

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Its ridiculous how many great anime went oop,[/QUOTE]
Even worse when you start to see Europe and Australia getting remastered Blu-ray releases of shows that Japan just got. Namely Cowboy Bebop. :bomb:

[quote name='Tsukento']Even worse when you start to see Europe and Australia getting remastered Blu-ray releases of shows that Japan just got. Namely Cowboy Bebop. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Yeah Anime Limited seems to be picking up tons of Bandai titles in the UK im probably going to invest in a region free blu-ray/dvd player for the Cowboy Bebop release and probably the Outlaw Star Remaster if its worth the double dip ill sell my US copy to make up what im sure will still be SOME of the difference. I really want to see a Wolf's Rain blu-ray though :( but I doubt it will ever happen or get the treatment it deserves either even if it did.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Yeah Anime Limited seems to be picking up tons of Bandai titles in the UK im probably going to invest in a region free blu-ray/dvd player for the Cowboy Bebop release and probably the Outlaw Star Remaster if its worth the double dip ill sell my US copy to make up what im sure will still be SOME of the difference. I really want to see a Wolf's Rain blu-ray though :( but I doubt it will ever happen or get the treatment it deserves either even if it did.[/QUOTE]
From what I've seen of Bebop's Blu-ray remaster, it'd likely be more than worth it. The quality's absolutely top notch.

[quote name='Tsukento']From what I've seen of Bebop's Blu-ray remaster, it'd likely be more than worth it. The quality's absolutely top notch.[/QUOTE]

good to know. i havent seen anything on it or even knew about it. but i'd rebuy it. God knows ive seen the show enough times lol.

Here's a comparison I found earlier of the JP BD vs the DVD:
lib615270.jpg

There's also a couple of screens posted here: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=45648232

Everybody hoping FUNimation would get Gurren Lagann, they won't. Aniplex is releasing a huge mega-pack of the series with CDs, posters (Yoko for guys, Kamina for gals), bumper stickers and other stuff. DVD and Blu-ray

And no, you're not imagining that Blu-ray price.

[quote name='DNukem170']Everybody hoping FUNimation would get Gurren Lagann, they won't. Aniplex is releasing a huge mega-pack of the series with CDs, posters (Yoko for guys, Kamina for gals), bumper stickers and other stuff. DVD and Blu-ray

And no, you're not imagining that Blu-ray price.[/QUOTE]

this has to be an april fools joke....it has to be

[quote name='DNukem170']Everybody hoping FUNimation would get Gurren Lagann, they won't. Aniplex is releasing a huge mega-pack of the series with CDs, posters (Yoko for guys, Kamina for gals), bumper stickers and other stuff. DVD and Blu-ray

And no, you're not imagining that Blu-ray price.[/QUOTE]

Aniplex+Anime=No mercy on my wallet

[quote name='kayne2000']this has to be an april fools joke....it has to be[/QUOTE]

No, it's not.

But the DVD version is only $140!

[quote name='DNukem170']No, it's not.

But the DVD version is only $140![/QUOTE]

well then i sincerely ask who in the blue hell they would expect to pay for that lol

[quote name='kayne2000']well then i sincerely ask who in the blue hell they would expect to pay for that lol[/QUOTE]

People in Japan.

Seriously, this is a bargain for them.

[quote name='Squarehard']Aniplex+Anime=No mercy on my wallet[/QUOTE]

Curse you Aniplex you attack my weak spot, over the top mecha anime!!!!!!!!!!!

bread's done
Back