Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='greenwolfe7']True I have 39 in counting the only things I have left that I truely want are the ghost in the shell blu-ray(not 2.0) and The Girl Who leapt through time (bluray also).:/ debating if a region free bluray player is worth it as I have a bluray drive but the software will cost just about as much as a player...[/QUOTE]

blu ray playing on a PC is a nightmare id go with the actual player

also whoever posted this podcasts thanks ill check them out eventually

Was somewhat surprised to see this, but as I was looking up how much some of Bandais sets wore worth, I noticed that Code Geass R2 The complete Second Season appears to be being restocked by Amazon.

It says from Amazon and says that it ships in 1 - 3 weeks. Was going for ALOT more before this, and Amazon has it at $35.28.

Here is the link if anybody is interested -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ils?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1365456856&seller=&sr=1-2

[quote name='3GSid']Was somewhat surprised to see this, but as I was looking up how much some of Bandais sets wore worth, I noticed that Code Geass R2 The complete Second Season appears to be being restocked by Amazon.

It says from Amazon and says that it ships in 1 - 3 weeks. Was going for ALOT more before this, and Amazon has it at $35.28.

Here is the link if anybody is interested -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ils?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1365456856&seller=&sr=1-2[/QUOTE]

I ordered this the same day you posted it hasn't shipped yet im starting to doubt it will I already got the notification they are still working on getting it. But the odd thing is at least in my experience with amazon they typically just cancel my order when they can't ship it by the estimated date. I've never had them ask for approval before to extend an order like that before?

Yeah, considering Bandai's been closed for months now, don't expect much of anything. I jumped on The Big O Season 1 while it was still available to order (but Temporarily Out of Stock) in February. We're nearing May now, and it's not shipped and listing shows it's no longer available to order from Amazon or any third parties outside of used sellers/scalpers. I very much doubt it'll ever be honored, but it doesn't hurt to keep it up until they cancel it themselves.

[quote name='Tsukento']Yeah, considering Bandai's been closed for months now, don't expect much of anything. I jumped on The Big O Season 1 while it was still available to order (but Temporarily Out of Stock) in February. We're nearing May now, and it's not shipped and listing shows it's no longer available to order from Amazon or any third parties outside of used sellers/scalpers. I very much doubt it'll ever be honored, but it doesn't hurt to keep it up until they cancel it themselves.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't even temporarily out of stock at the time although it did have 1-3weeks delivery. I just found it odd since usually they just cancel me even if its item thats going to be restocked soon... :/.

[quote name='btt']I procrastinated on getting some of these OOP blu-rays so badly -_-[/QUOTE]
I feel ya im still searching for the girl who leapt through time myself.

So over the last 2 weeks I've managed to get the Complete Collections for Lucky Star and Cowboy Bebop Remix for about $25 each! Gotta love local used DVD stores!

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']So over the last 2 weeks I've managed to get the Complete Collections for Lucky Star and Cowboy Bebop Remix for about $25 each! Gotta love local used DVD stores![/QUOTE]

Nice, I was able to score Lucky Star from gohastings for around $20. Also got really lucky and found Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence on bluray for $12 used.

[quote name='electricsleep']Nice, I was able to score Lucky Star from gohastings for around $20. Also got really lucky and found Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence on bluray for $12 used.[/QUOTE]

Dam, you hit the jackpot on that one. You had a better chance being hit by lighting than finding one of those and that was before Bandai went kaput. :lol:

[quote name='solidus_00']Dam, you hit the jackpot on that one. You had a better chance being hit by lighting than finding one of those and that was before Bandai went kaput. :lol:[/QUOTE]

this is true unless he got the UK version by accident lol

I officially have every US released gundam series and movie. And a total of 47 complete series and 6 Banzai bluesy movies still searching for gurren lagann and the girl who leapt through time. Most I got cheap some I paid through the nose for to get but I'LLC be done with those two I already have the currency lagann movies. Just need the series and the girl who leapt through time.... doubt I'll find that one I want the bluray.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']I wish i got into anime and bluray earlier stuff is insanely priced now....[/QUOTE]

I have little doubt FUNimation and Sentai are already trying very hard to get most of Bandai's licenses. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear some license rescues at ComicCon.

[quote name='DNukem170']I have little doubt FUNimation and Sentai are already trying very hard to get most of Bandai's licenses. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear some license rescues at ComicCon.[/QUOTE]
I hope so it is sad to see dvd vols go for 100-300 range only.

How is Heroic Age i watched 2-3 eps so far and seemed cool. The mechs seemed so generic tho.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']I officially have every US released gundam series and movie. And a total of 47 complete series and 6 Banzai bluesy movies still searching for gurren lagann and the girl who leapt through time. Most I got cheap some I paid through the nose for to get but I'LLC be done with those two I already have the currency lagann movies. Just need the series and the girl who leapt through time.... doubt I'll find that one I want the bluray.[/QUOTE]

I have almost every Gundam, I'm only missing 0079 that I can think of (I regret passing on them, so I'm just watching out for them)... I'm also missing Unicorn, but the prices are outrageous for the Blu Rays.

[quote name='DNukem170']I have little doubt FUNimation and Sentai are already trying very hard to get most of Bandai's licenses. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear some license rescues at ComicCon.[/QUOTE]

yes i am sure they are. i hope they can get some.

Fine by me. I already have Parts 1 and 2 from Bandai. And it's easier to condense 4 DVDs than 6 Blu-rays. Substationally cheaper too.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Now I regret buying the six blus... I don't know if I wanna sell them though to get these... hmm...[/QUOTE]You already bought them, why downgrade to the DVD now? D:

[quote name='Vash1306']You already bought them, why downgrade to the DVD now? D:[/QUOTE]

The only reason im debating it is for the cash. I know I won't do it. But the thought did cross my mind. The blus are gorgeous btw if anyone is wondering. I haven't seen the dvds but I can't recommend the blus enough if anybody is on the fence about going one way or the other. But if your just starting those dvds are cheap enough that you could always resell them and go for the blus later... BTW I FOUND THE GIRL WHO LEAPT THROUGH TIME TODAY! Now all I need from Bandai is Gurren Lagann the tv series. I have the movies... Although that new Gurren Lagann blu ray set looks amazing... but not 5-600$ amazing.... I wish someone would release it here I'd go in at around 100$

I found a copy of zeta gundam collection 1 for $24. Was that a pretty good find? The store also had the 4 G Gundam collector boxes for $20 each. I'd like to get that series as well, but $80 is too much for me to drop on a series.

http://www.animeherald.com/2013/05/25/anime-boston-2013-sunrise-announces/
Anime Boston 2013: Sunrise Announces Code Geass: Akito the Exiled 2
May 25, 2013 by Mike Ferreira Leave a Comment

At their panel at Anime Boston 2013, Sunrise announced that the second episode of Code Geass: Akito the Exiled will be released in Japan this summer. The series will consist of four episodes in total. They are currently working on bringing the original Code Geass TV series to America in the near future.

The company also revealed that, while it isn’t official yet, they are negotiating the US rights to both Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning and Tiger & Bunny: The Rising with Viz Media. Tiger & Bunny: The Rising, will hit Japanese theaters on February 8, 2014.

According to the panelists, NIS America will announce the Blu-Ray edition of Love Live! in the near future.

Sunrise is currently in negotiations with FUNimation and Sentai Filmworks for the distribution rights to titles that were formerly released by Bandai Entertainment.
https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/338342962801037312
SUNRISE will be releasing former Bandai Entertainment titles themselves. Details forthcoming. #animeboston
https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/338343383649091587
They'll be partnering with local companies: FUNi, Sentai, etc. everyone in the damn room wants COWBOY BEBOP blurays.
---

https://twitter.com/aicnanime/status/338342710396198912
BEI titles are going to be distributed by Sunrise... Talking with Funi and Sentai... Looked for fan preferences
https://twitter.com/aicnanime/status/338342842755858432
Sounds like they thought deal would be fixed by this point
https://twitter.com/aicnanime/status/338346292805771265
Sunrise also thought Cowboy Bebop Blu-ray negotiations would be further along
---

https://twitter.com/NanDesuKan/status/338342979150413824
SUNRISE is willing to distribute #Bandai titles & are negotiating w/ @SentaiFilmworks & @FUNimation. @AnimeBoston requests Bebop!
Sunrise titles that was released by Bandai Ent.
  • Angel Links
  • Argentosoma
  • Banner of the Stars
  • Banner of the Stars II
  • Betterman
  • Brain Powered
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
  • Cowboy Bebop (TV)
  • Crest of the Stars
  • Escaflowne: The Movie
  • Freedom (OVA)
  • Future GPX Cyber Formula
  • Infinite Ryvius
  • Kurokami The Animation
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam - The Movie Trilogy
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Second Season
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (OVA)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (OVA)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (Movie)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War (Movies)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 (OVA)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Special Edition
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Final Plus: The Chosen Future (OVA)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny Special Edition
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (OVA)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz Special Edition (movie)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (Movie)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (OVA)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Miller's Report (Movie)
  • Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation (Movies)
  • My-HiME
  • My-Otome
  • My-Otome 0~S.ifr~ (OVA)
  • My-Otome Zwei (OVA)
  • Outlaw Star
  • Overman King Gainer
  • Planetes
  • Ronin Warriors
  • Ronin Warriors: Gaiden (OVA)
  • Ronin Warriors: Legend of the Inferno Armor (OVA)
  • Ronin Warriors: Message (OVA)
  • s-CRY-ed (TV)
  • Sacred Seven (TV) [streaming only]
  • SD Gundam Force
  • SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers: The Next (Movie)
  • Tales of the Abyss
  • The Big O
  • The Big O II
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
  • The Vision of Escaflowne
  • The Wings of Rean
  • Witch Hunter Robin
  • Z-Mind (OVA)
  • Zegapain

Sunrise confirmed at Anime Boston that FUNimation and Sentai have both licensed a bunch of old Bandai stuff. Most likely we will hear some announcements at ComicCon.

[quote name='DNukem170']Sunrise confirmed at Anime Boston that FUNimation and Sentai have both licensed a bunch of old Bandai stuff. Most likely we will hear some announcements at ComicCon.[/QUOTE]
Great News. :D

Well I'll be damned if we can get Ronin Warriors on DVD. I missed out on the set when it came out and now it's rare as heck.

Edit: I'd sure love the Escaflowne and Bebop Blu-rays as well.

[quote name='DNukem170']Sunrise confirmed at Anime Boston that FUNimation and Sentai have both licensed a bunch of old Bandai stuff. Most likely we will hear some announcements at ComicCon.[/QUOTE]

i believe you forgot this

4e5466b7dc69f1314154167_blog.jpg

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/funimation-adds-cowboy-bebop-escaflowne-outlaw-star-more

"North American anime distributor FUNimation Entertainment announced at its panel at Otakon on Saturday that it will release Shinichiro Watanabe and Sunrise's Cowboy Bebop television anime series digitally and on Blu-ray Disc for the first time in North America. Funimation plans to release the series in 2014. Additionally, the company announced that it has licensed the following titles that Bandai Entertainment had previously licensed:

Sunrise producer Masayuki Ozaki had revealed in May that the company was in talks with Sentai Filmworks and Funimation to distribute former Bandai Entertainment titles.

Sunrise had announced earlier in the day that Funimation has also licensed the following titles that Bandai Entertainment had previously released in North America: Tales of the AbyssWitch Hunter RobinCode Geass: Lelouch of the RebellionCode Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2Angel LinksCrest of the StarsBanner of the StarsBanner of the Stars II, and Passage of the Stars - Birth. Sunrise also announced that Funimation has the Code Geass: Akito the Exiled video anime series.

Funimation also announced that it has licensed the rest of the Fairy Tailtelevision anime that is currently in existence (up to episode 175), and revealed that Wolf Children will ship on Blu-ray Disc and DVD on November 12."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/funimation-adds-cowboy-bebop-escaflowne-outlaw-star-more

"North American anime distributor FUNimation Entertainment announced at its panel at Otakon on Saturday that it will release Shinichiro Watanabe and Sunrise's Cowboy Bebop television anime series digitally and on Blu-ray Disc for the first time in North America. Funimation plans to release the series in 2014. Additionally, the company announced that it has licensed the following titles that Bandai Entertainment had previously licensed:

Sunrise producer Masayuki Ozaki had revealed in May that the company was in talks with Sentai Filmworks and Funimation to distribute former Bandai Entertainment titles.

Sunrise had announced earlier in the day that Funimation has also licensed the following titles that Bandai Entertainment had previously released in North America: Tales of the Abyss, Witch Hunter Robin, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2, Angel Links, Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, Banner of the Stars II, and Passage of the Stars - Birth. Sunrise also announced that Funimation has the Code Geass: Akito the Exiled video anime series.

Funimation also announced that it has licensed the rest of the Fairy Tailtelevision anime that is currently in existence (up to episode 175), and revealed that Wolf Children will ship on Blu-ray Disc and DVD on November 12."
All I gotta say is Wooooo Hooooooo!!!!! I hope someone releases some bluray copies of scryed and Wolf's Rain. They could look so amazing in HD if the transfer was done properly....

All I gotta say is Wooooo Hooooooo!!!!! I hope someone releases some bluray copies of scryed and Wolf's Rain. They could look so amazing in HD if the transfer was done properly....
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/sentai-filmworks-adds-sacred-seven-big-o-kurokami-more

sentai acquired

I don't understand why they picked up Brain Powered and Z-Mind. BP had meme potential, but Z-Mind is such wasted potential it's not even funny. If you're gonna put a giant robot series in the 70's, you might want to have something 70's-ish besides one of the girl's horrible fashion.

I hope they were simply package deals for Ryvius, Big O, and s-CRY-ed.

Guess I'll have to sell my Witch Hunter Robin collection. I'm surprised there was no mention of Gundam. I would love to have a blu-ray of Gundam 00 including the movie. Very psyched for Code Geass!

Gundam probably requires more hoops to be jumped through. Not only does every series require its own license, but Sunrise is very particular about which series can be licensed and put out on Blu-ray. They also have this stupid pre-conception that because a series failed in Japan (Victory/X), nobody in the US would buy it either.

What disappoints me the most (and surprises me the least) is that neither of them picked up the rights to Planetes.  I would have liked to have seen a domestic blu ray release of that show. 

Considering there are still dozens upon dozens of titles still left to license, it's still possible.

I personally would only want it if they can keep the NASA extras.

EDIT: Also, as far as Gundam goes I hope FUNimation is going after the SEED Remasters.

Hopefully they will keep the original voice actors for the English Dub of Big O.  I thought they had a good cast.

But I am sure they will have to redub it.

Unless there's a legal snafu or something, they will use the original dub like Sentai did for Fate/Stay Night and Mahoromatic.

I'm definitely excited about Cowboy Bebop getting a Blu-Ray release here in the states, and I'm hoping Outlaw Star will get one as well (I still have the original non-Anime Legends DVD box set, but I'd love to have it on Blu-Ray).

I'm also glad to see someone finally picked up s-CRY-ed again.  It wasn't the greatest show, but I never did get around to picking it up on DVD so it's been many years since I've last seen it.  Witch Hunter Robin, Angel Links and Big O are nice additions too.

Glad sentai picked up scryed I feel like if they were to do a bluray release of it sentai might do it properly funi wouldnt... I doubt they will but im still happy sentai got it.  Now Wolf's Rain in Blu ray would be gorgious I really hope sentai gets it too

I likes to see Funimation pick up most bandai titles.  Only way we see a complete Set for cheap  on blu-ray ;)  Rarely see any Sentai Set drop down 50% off sale :(

bread's done
Back