Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, if you don't want the extra crap, the Anime Legends set is still readily available for about $50 at various places.

[quote name='DNukem170']People in Japan.

Seriously, this is a bargain for them.[/QUOTE]

Not really. It's in line with what they're used to, but not a bargain.

[quote name='elessar123']Not really. It's in line with what they're used to, but not a bargain.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, generally anime for a bargain in Japan are usually the anime blus because in Japan most anime blus still release in the single volumes like DVD sets do with 2-3 episodes per volume on a single blu disc, and even in some cases one single episode per blu, but their blus are even more expensive than they are here which is just awful. :*(

[quote name='Squarehard']Yeah, generally anime for a bargain in Japan are usually the anime blus because in Japan most anime blus still release in the single volumes like DVD sets do with 2-3 episodes per volume on a single blu disc, and even in some cases one single episode per blu, but their blus are even more expensive than they are here which is just awful. :*([/QUOTE]

i have to ask why japan is still stuck with such an idiotic release model....makes no damn sense. but 1 episode per blu ray disc? sign me up lol.

[quote name='kayne2000']i have to ask why japan is still stuck with such an idiotic release model....makes no damn sense. but 1 episode per blu ray disc? sign me up lol.[/QUOTE]

Part of it is that a lot of people still rent DVDs instead of buying. Given the limited space most Japanese people have, this is better for them. So, Japan will put their series out to rent soon after it airs, while home releases often take a long time after airing and are considered luxury items. That's why, for example, you can get most episodes of Pokemon in order (with good cover art) at a rental place but DVDs for purchase have random episodes with stock art covers.

Of course, this model has long since run its course, but Japan likes the profit from charging $20-$30 an episode, which is why they fear reverse importing so much.

[quote name='DNukem170']Everybody hoping FUNimation would get Gurren Lagann, they won't. Aniplex is releasing a huge mega-pack of the series with CDs, posters (Yoko for guys, Kamina for gals), bumper stickers and other stuff. DVD and Blu-ray

And no, you're not imagining that Blu-ray price.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll be happy with my DVD's I paid like 22 bucks for don't have the movies but oh well.

[quote name='kayne2000']i have to ask why japan is still stuck with such an idiotic release model....makes no damn sense. but 1 episode per blu ray disc? sign me up lol.[/QUOTE]

They prefer selling it to fewer people at a higher price than more people at a lower price. Let say they sell it at $50, that doesnt mean there will be 11 times more people buying it.

[quote name='62t']They prefer selling it to fewer people at a higher price than more people at a lower price. Let say they sell it at $50, that doesnt mean there will be 11 times more people buying it.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. We are talking a $500 difference for a :br:. Not $20~$30 off normal MSRP.

Hell, Urusei Yatsura :br: is getting four sets over $450 each.
And even THAT is even well under half the price per episode than Gurren Lagann.

[quote name='3GSid']Man.....knowing Aniplex's pricing, my wallet is weeping for when they bring over Fate/Zero, SAO, and Magi.[/QUOTE]

Granted, who even wants the second half of SAO.

[quote name='theclaw']Hell, Urusei Yatsura :br: is getting four sets over $450 each.
And even THAT is even well under half the price per episode than Gurren Lagann.[/QUOTE]

ouch! I love that show, and it hurts to know it will probably never be released over here again.

[quote name='theclaw']Hell, Urusei Yatsura :br: is getting four sets over $450 each.
And even THAT is even well under half the price per episode than Gurren Lagann.[/QUOTE]

Expensive. @_@

they are truly testing the "a sucker is born every minute" phrase

I really hate Aniplex! They would make so much more money if they just lowered the price to something halfway reasonable. Honestly they wonder why piracy is so rampant with Aniplex titles it's because they make it so expensive that only rich bastards can afford to buy their anime.

I've seen the first box set priced for about $400 w/o shipping on cd Japan (OOP already) and there will be four boxes, so $1600 for the series on the "cheap" side. I'd like to get Takahashi's Maison Ikkoku series with only three boxes. $1,200 sounds reasonable. /sarc

BD release of Takahashi titles.

[quote name='GogetaSS4']I really hate Aniplex! They would make so much more money if they just lowered the price to something halfway reasonable. Honestly they wonder why piracy is so rampant with Aniplex titles it's because they make it so expensive that only rich bastards can afford to buy their anime.[/QUOTE]
I really want to see the sales figures for the Gurren Lagann BD set. Would it even reach a dozen? Japanese prices will not work in the West.

[quote name='midlifecrisisMkII']I really want to see the sales figures for the Gurren Lagann BD set. Would it even reach a dozen? Japanese prices will not work in the West.[/QUOTE]

their business model for them is fine, they produce enough to hit a certain profit goal. Just like all their sets im sure they will sell out eventually and they will make their money. I'm not quite sure what all the crying is about if people dont like the price just dont buy it. All their imports are the same they are just giving the west a chance to buy this set simultaneously with japan even if it means japanese pricing. I'm pretty sure if you wait long enough no guarantees by the way you might get a domestic release like durarara or bakemonogatari/nisemonogatari which is much cheaper.

[quote name='shawnmelo']I'm not quite sure what all the crying is about if people dont like the price just dont buy it.[/QUOTE]

It might have something to do with them wanting the show, but at a lower price. Don't quote me on that, though.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']It might have something to do with them wanting the show, but at a lower price. Don't quote me on that, though.[/QUOTE]

I understand that they want it but its an import and they will have to either wait and hope they release it in america or it might never be released here and buy the $550 set. Me personally I would never buy a $550 bluray but I wont complain about it because I know its their business model so complaining wont change anything.

[quote name='shawnmelo']I understand that they want it but its an import and they will have to either wait and hope they release it in america or it might never be released here and buy the $550 set. Me personally I would never buy a $550 bluray but I wont complain about it because I know its their business model so complaining wont change anything.[/QUOTE]

and when people pirate their TV shows they have 0 right to complain. at 550 dollars only the truly fanatical, the rich, and apparently the Japanese will buy this. everyone else will just pirate if they want to see it. it really is reasons like this that piracy gets justified in the anime world.

[quote name='kayne2000']and when people pirate their TV shows they have 0 right to complain. at 550 dollars only the truly fanatical, the rich, and apparently the Japanese will buy this. everyone else will just pirate if they want to see it. it really is reasons like this that piracy gets justified in the anime world.[/QUOTE]

that is true I used to just pirate everything I wanted to watch but since I got a steady job I have had a crunchyroll/funimation account. I also have been buying a ton of anime/manga to support the industry. I just hope Magi/Sword Art Online isnt $550 lol I really want those shows but not that bad. I hope they get the durarara/bakemonogatari treatment of at least $150, thats steep but I can afford that easily and will be glad to support those shows. I have purchased Garden of sinners,Bakemonogatari and durarara from them and I love those shows.

[quote name='kayne2000']and when people pirate their TV shows they have 0 right to complain. at 550 dollars only the truly fanatical, the rich, and apparently the Japanese will buy this. everyone else will just pirate if they want to see it. it really is reasons like this that piracy gets justified in the anime world.[/QUOTE]

Or they could just pay $50 for the old Bandai set...

There are people that don't feel like paying $50 or even $20 for a show when they can get it for free.

[quote name='shawnmelo']that is true I used to just pirate everything I wanted to watch but since I got a steady job I have had a crunchyroll/funimation account. I also have been buying a ton of anime/manga to support the industry. I just hope Magi/Sword Art Online isnt $550 lol I really want those shows but not that bad. I hope they get the durarara/bakemonogatari treatment of at least $150, thats steep but I can afford that easily and will be glad to support those shows. I have purchased Garden of sinners,Bakemonogatari and durarara from them and I love those shows.[/QUOTE]

exactly some people do want to support these shows coming over but it has to be within some kind of reasonable price. but at absurd prices people are going to justify the piracy route with ease.

[quote name='62t']There are people that don't feel like paying $50 or even $20 for a show when they can get it for free.[/QUOTE]

yes but you cant do anything about that crowd what you can do something about is the people that will pirate because you realize an inferior product to the pirated version and/or your version isnt an arm and a leg. so just because people will pirate a 20 dollar version isnt really an excuse to release a 550 dollar version. its really not hard to curb piracy....make a superior version the pirated copy....its somewhat amazing over the years how there are better copies on the internet than the paid for disc copies although thanks to blu ray and HD TVs this isnt becoming much of an issue and almost all anime these days contains a japanese audio and english subtitle which if an anime doesnt have is a death sentence for most(not me though).....and make it a reasonable price. that will cut down on the people that are willing to pay for it but dont want to break the bank doing so. while i realize anime prices in america was cheaper compared to Japan you still have to price them to compete with the american market.

[quote name='DNukem170']Or they could just pay $50 for the old Bandai set...[/QUOTE]

1. theres not a blu ray one unless i didnt see it? plus this version comes with other stuff yes?
2. thats not really the point im making....

I honestly don't think piracy has anything to do with these pricing strategies. It's more just a matter of cultural perception, or lack there of.

Some Japanese companies have gotten wise to the fact that anime can make some decent money overseas. But they've grown tired of working through middle-men, and want to bring anime to other countries and keep all of the money. However, they haven't twigged to the fact that you can't bring over the exact same product and expect it to sell nearly as well.

In Japan, physical copies of anime have always been considered a high-end product, and usually command very high prices. There are numerous reasons for this, not the least of which would be space. The average Japanese domicile has far less room than what you see in most other countries. Physical space for storage is very much at a premium over there. So accruing massive collections of anything is considered strange.

In other countries, (and the U.S. in particular) lower prices for media are the norm. DVDs in particular have plummeted in price since their introduction. Anime box-sets started off around $120 each, a price that was already much lower than the Japanese equivalent. These days you can get the same quantity of anime for $40 or cheaper. In the U.S. the home-video market exploded along with DVDs. Now having some manner of home theater is considered quite common.

The companies releasing these box-sets are going to discover that they can't hope to sell even a fraction of the volume of normal anime releases. Then they'll either adjust their approach or start licensing to foreign companies again.

NIS has been taking the proper approach to this issue. They release "premium" sets that have the kind of deluxe packaging that Japanese releases are known for, but priced within reasonable limits. (expensive enough to justify the high-grade packaging, but not enough to scare of die-hard fans) Then a few months after the premium editions, they release "budget" versions that are more bare-bones, but considerably more affordable.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I honestly don't think piracy has anything to do with these pricing strategies. It's more just a matter of cultural perception, or lack there of.

Some Japanese companies have gotten wise to the fact that anime can make some decent money overseas. But they've grown tired of working through middle-men, and want to bring anime to other countries and keep all of the money. However, they haven't twigged to the fact that you can't bring over the exact same product and expect it to sell nearly as well.

In Japan, physical copies of anime have always been considered a high-end product, and usually command very high prices. There are numerous reasons for this, not the least of which would be space. The average Japanese domicile has far less room than what you see in most other countries. Physical space for storage is very much at a premium over there. So accruing massive collections of anything is considered strange.

In other countries, (and the U.S. in particular) lower prices for media are the norm. DVDs in particular have plummeted in price since their introduction. Anime box-sets started off around $120 each, a price that was already much lower than the Japanese equivalent. These days you can get the same quantity of anime for $40 or cheaper. In the U.S. the home-video market exploded along with DVDs. Now having some manner of home theater is considered quite common.

The companies releasing these box-sets are going to discover that they can't hope to sell even a fraction of the volume of normal anime releases. Then they'll either adjust their approach or start licensing to foreign companies again.

NIS has been taking the proper approach to this issue. They release "premium" sets that have the kind of deluxe packaging that Japanese releases are known for, but priced within reasonable limits. (expensive enough to justify the high-grade packaging, but not enough to scare of die-hard fans) Then a few months after the premium editions, they release "budget" versions that are more bare-bones, but considerably more affordable.[/QUOTE]

Actually Japan doesn't care about the foreign market. They rather force dub only or hard sub then risk reverse import (even if that not really happening).

[quote name='kayne2000']1. theres not a blu ray one unless i didnt see it? plus this version comes with other stuff yes?
2. thats not really the point im making....[/QUOTE]No, Bandai didn't make a Blu-ray of the series. Oh well. Suck it up and buy the DVD version.

And the big box set includes the two movies, booklets, CD Dramas, and soundtracks. The movies can be bought on DVD for about $25-$30 each, many of the CD dramas were included in the original US release, and the soundtracks can be had for dirt cheap on eBay.

[quote name='62t']Actually Japan doesn't care about the foreign market. They rather force dub only or hard sub then risk reverse import (even if that not really happening).[/QUOTE]

They did back when they were charging $10,000-$20,000 an episode back in the good old days.

[quote name='62t']Actually Japan doesn't care about the foreign market. They rather force dub only or hard sub then risk reverse import (even if that not really happening).[/QUOTE]

Oh yes they do. They just might not have realized it yet. Foreign markets aren't willing to pay the kind of prices that Japanese anime fans endure. But foreign markets are exponentially larger than Japan's internal market for anime. Price your content right overseas, and you can sell an incredible quantity. Balance that out with cheaper packaging and minimal extras for the foreign release, and you've got a formula for huge profits.

Japan just isn't a big enough market to justify this archaic approach to media pricing. Attempting to force this model on other countries isn't going to work, and they will find their foreign sales drop to almost nothing. And as I pointed out, some companies have already realized this, and are already taking competitive measures.

If they didn't realize it when Bandai Visual USA collapsed on its ass (taking Bandai Entertainment with it), what makes you think they'll listen now?

I don't remember where I read this before, but I recall that the present anime industry gains profit more on selling merchandise rather than DVD/BD sales. It would explain the rise in figures, drama CDs, artbooks, etc. that weren't as prominent a decade ago. It also explains the rise of popularity of moe series as compared to the more "serious" animations of the 1990s.

Or at least if DVD sales are still the reigning portion of profits, it's certainly shifting its rule to merchandise sales of late.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I honestly don't think piracy has anything to do with these pricing strategies. It's more just a matter of cultural perception, or lack there of.

NIS has been taking the proper approach to this issue. They release "premium" sets that have the kind of deluxe packaging that Japanese releases are known for, but priced within reasonable limits. (expensive enough to justify the high-grade packaging, but not enough to scare of die-hard fans) Then a few months after the premium editions, they release "budget" versions that are more bare-bones, but considerably more affordable.[/QUOTE]

i agree. i dont think piracy has to do with the prices but rather the high prices cause more piracy than there would be otherwise. also the fact its a crapshoot as to what anime gets brought over or not. and i agree there always needs to be a budget release version. the american market especially kills for that. people will buy anime but its a hard sale if its TOO much more than your average DVD set

that being said they should be careful not every anime will sell in america as japan has some weird tastes....and of course advertising. it seems anime advertising isnt really around anymore. maybe theres a cable channel or something that does this but i really dont see it and if you want more people to see your product air it on TV and advertise the hell out of it.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Oh yes they do. They just might not have realized it yet. Foreign markets aren't willing to pay the kind of prices that Japanese anime fans endure. But foreign markets are exponentially larger than Japan's internal market for anime. Price your content right overseas, and you can sell an incredible quantity. Balance that out with cheaper packaging and minimal extras for the foreign release, and you've got a formula for huge profits.

Japan just isn't a big enough market to justify this archaic approach to media pricing. Attempting to force this model on other countries isn't going to work, and they will find their foreign sales drop to almost nothing. And as I pointed out, some companies have already realized this, and are already taking competitive measures.[/QUOTE]

exactly. Japan is not a poster boy for foreign markets and i hate the old if japan doesnt buy it it wont sell elsewhere attitude companies have. you see this with some games as well.

[quote name='DNukem170']They did back when they were charging $10,000-$20,000 an episode back in the good old days.[/QUOTE]

thats just beyond insane when was this???

[quote name='DNukem170']No, Bandai didn't make a Blu-ray of the series. Oh well. Suck it up and buy the DVD version.

And the big box set includes the two movies, booklets, CD Dramas, and soundtracks. The movies can be bought on DVD for about $25-$30 each, many of the CD dramas were included in the original US release, and the soundtracks can be had for dirt cheap on eBay.[/QUOTE]

again not the point...

[quote name='DNukem170']If they didn't realize it when Bandai Visual USA collapsed on its ass (taking Bandai Entertainment with it), what makes you think they'll listen now?[/QUOTE]

bandai has just collapsed so this isnt really an old thing. also funimation at least seems to have caught on to the fact we want box sets of seasons at reasonable prices.

[quote name='kayne2000']thats just beyond insane when was this???[/QUOTE]

That was back during the anime boom in the mid-00's. They were mostly charging that much per an episode because they had all these companies(ADV, Funimation, Media Blasters, Geneon, Bandai, etc.) fighting over the licenses.

If you haven't listened to it, listen to animenewsnetwork.com's podcast about Geneon(link below)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-12-03
It mentions some of the strange business that went on in the U.S. anime industry during the boom.

[quote name='kayne2000']bandai has just collapsed so this isnt really an old thing. also funimation at least seems to have caught on to the fact we want box sets of seasons at reasonable prices.[/QUOTE]

But Bandai Entertainment was doing pretty well until Bandai Visual was created, partially confusing people who couldn't tell the difference and releasing a bunch of anime without dubs with no extras at twice the going price of other anime DVDs. Everything Bandai Visual did backfired miserably and they blamed Bandai Entertainment, which is one reason why they went a year and a half with nothing new besides Gundam SEED Destiny. Bandai Entertainment might have folded anyway, but Bandai Visual did nothing but screw them over horribly.

Oh, and budget versions never come out until well after the original release.

[quote name='tangytangerine']That was back during the anime boom in the mid-00's. They were mostly charging that much per an episode because they had all these companies(ADV, Funimation, Media Blasters, Geneon, Bandai, etc.) fighting over the licenses.

If you haven't listened to it, listen to animenewsnetwork.com's podcast about Geneon(link below)
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-12-03
It mentions some of the strange business that went on in the U.S. anime industry during the boom.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing that link, it was really interesting to learn about that.

[quote name='jedimario']Thanks for sharing that link, it was really interesting to learn about that.[/QUOTE]

They have one with someone from Bandai about its collapse as well.
I would recommend that one as well.

I have no idea why this thread is still at the top of this forum when its been... I dunno wanna say started nearly 8-9 months ago and past Nov already.Just saying lol.

[quote name='Magiblaze']I have no idea why this thread is still at the top of this forum when its been... I dunno wanna say started nearly 8-9 months ago and past Nov already.Just saying lol.[/QUOTE]

There's never anything too interesting at the top of the DVD forums anyways, and besides there are still lots of Bandai titles available that are not quite all sold out. I just finished my Bandai collection of over 40 titles actually.

True I have 39 complete series in counting the only things I have left that I truely want are the ghost in the shell blu-ray(not 2.0) and The Girl Who leapt through time (bluray also).:/ debating if a region free bluray player is worth it as I have a bluray drive but the software will cost just about as much as a player...

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back