Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkSageRK']Well, then...

http://www.funimation.com/baccano/episodes
or
http://www.hulu.com/baccano

Leaps and bounds better than Bebop and it satisfies your jazz requirement. (Watch the dub.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUjqlVt6y2A[/QUOTE]

Great Show, Love the overall theme to this one as well. I would say the story just doesn't hold up to cowboy bebop's more serious themes, and don't get me wrong some of the eps can be silly but the show kept a pretty interesting and somewhat realistic look on the future compared to most. Just because a show has jazz doesn't mean everyone will like it. The one thing that stood out in Baccano was the way they chose to tell the story piece by piece and not always in the same order, it kept if fairly interesting compared to if they just told it chronologically it might not have been as good.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Leaps and bounds better than Bebop and it satisfies your jazz requirement. (Watch the dub.)[/QUOTE]

? You just invalidated your whole position. Suggesting that we watch Baccano is fine and good. No harm in recommending a series you like. But telling me that I ought to watch the dubbed version of any anime? I don't think so.

[quote name='Richard Kain']? You just invalidated your whole position. Suggesting that we watch Baccano is fine and good. No harm in recommending a series you like. But telling me that I ought to watch the dubbed version of any anime? I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

Please elaborate.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Please elaborate.[/QUOTE]

I am a dubbing snob. I don't listen to anime in dubbing...ever. I use subtitles and original Japanese audio every time. I won't buy any anime DVD or BluRay that doesn't have the original Japanese audio. I will even stick to the Japanese audio when its in mono. (such as the Dragonball Z boxsets)

There are a small handful of series where I will admit that the english dubbing is decent. Full Metal Alchemist had some reasonable voice work in the english translation. The Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex seasons also had very respectable dubbing. I still preferred the Japanese audio for these series, but I can admit that the english dubbing didn't embarrass itself.

I haven't seen Baccano, so I will admit that I can't speak to the quality of its dubbing. Perhaps it has quite good english dubbing. At the same time, I am taken aback that any fan of anime would actively encourage that someone listen to the english dubbing. For me that is always an "if there is no other option" scenario.

Just as a further example, the english dubbing for Cowboy Bebop is an atrocity. Anyone who watches that series with the english dubbing isn't getting the optimal experience.

[quote name='Richard Kain']
Just as a further example, the english dubbing for Cowboy Bebop is an atrocity. Anyone who watches that series with the english dubbing isn't getting the optimal experience.[/QUOTE]

According to you, though. Even the director thinks the English dub is better than the Japanese, so there really isn't an incorrect option. Anyway, can we please get back to recommending shows that might not be available much longer? Anyone who likes hard sci-fi should check out Planetes; that show is amazing.

[quote name='Puppet Master']GITS 2: Innocence DID have a Blu Ray release it's just out of print and overpriced as hell. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K98MFU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I'm assuming that's what your referring to if not than my bad.[/QUOTE]There was a $60 used copy that got bought as I was debating about whether or not I wanted to pick it up. I had missed the release of the second movie on blu ray, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on just a single movie. Honestly, I'm glad that someone made that decision for me.

As for Hayate The Combat Butler, though you run the risk of being like a douche, I highly recommend that you take advantage of Amazon clearing out volumes 1-7. I may have all 8 because I bought them new, but I paid around $160 for them too. That was the cheapest price you could get them for at the time (Borders using 50% off coupons made them around $20 each). For only $47 total you can have new copies of volumes 1-7.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']As for Hayate The Combat Butler, though you run the risk of being like a douche, I highly recommend that you take advantage of Amazon clearing out volumes 1-7. I may have all 8 because I bought them new, but I paid around $160 for them too. That was the cheapest price you could get them for at the time (Borders using 50% off coupons made them around $20 each). For only $47 total you can have new copies of volumes 1-7.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that was bs. I paid $150 for 1-7 and they released a tiny print of 8, and have no hope of completing this set without shelling out another $250. Just means I'm that much more unlikely to buy non-boxed sets more than ever before.

With my luck, they'll discontinue the manga too.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']There was a $60 used copy that got bought as I was debating about whether or not I wanted to pick it up. I had missed the release of the second movie on blu ray, but I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on just a single movie. Honestly, I'm glad that someone made that decision for me.

As for Hayate The Combat Butler, though you run the risk of being like a douche, I highly recommend that you take advantage of Amazon clearing out volumes 1-7. I may have all 8 because I bought them new, but I paid around $160 for them too. That was the cheapest price you could get them for at the time (Borders using 50% off coupons made them around $20 each). For only $47 total you can have new copies of volumes 1-7.[/QUOTE]

yea it is. i really dont know wtf happened to that movie to skyrocket oh well. at least i have a dvd copy i bought at an anime shop we used to have before it went out of business....not that that is shocking...high prices and odd location...but mostly high prices in comparison to everywhere. such a shame too as thanks to that place i have blue plush tachikomas which dont exist anywhere on the internet anymore

as for combat butler what crazyness is this just looked it up lol. it looks completely whacky and random

[quote name='Richard Kain']I am a dubbing snob. I don't listen to anime in dubbing...ever. I use subtitles and original Japanese audio every time. I won't buy any anime DVD or BluRay that doesn't have the original Japanese audio. I will even stick to the Japanese audio when its in mono. (such as the Dragonball Z boxsets)

There are a small handful of series where I will admit that the english dubbing is decent. Full Metal Alchemist had some reasonable voice work in the english translation. The Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex seasons also had very respectable dubbing. I still preferred the Japanese audio for these series, but I can admit that the english dubbing didn't embarrass itself.

I haven't seen Baccano, so I will admit that I can't speak to the quality of its dubbing. Perhaps it has quite good english dubbing. At the same time, I am taken aback that any fan of anime would actively encourage that someone listen to the english dubbing. For me that is always an "if there is no other option" scenario.

Just as a further example, the english dubbing for Cowboy Bebop is an atrocity. Anyone who watches that series with the english dubbing isn't getting the optimal experience.[/QUOTE]
lol no. english dubbing is not always bad. plus its in english(the language of which i know and understand) thus this makes it superior to my ears...not to say i wont listen to japanese with subtitles if that is the only choice. but there are cases where the japanese voices are terrible....dbz being one example. goku especially is just outright unbearable.

my only dubbing gripe is sometimes it is inaccurate but thats to be expected translating across languages can be tough and japanese isnt the easiest language to learn.

Just so everyone knows again, Ghost in the Shell and all it's products (both series, blu-rays, movies) are handled by MANGA. So if it's on your list of this to rush and get, take it off cause it won't go out of print along with Bandai.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Ignore the other list, this one's better. ;)

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Code Geass
-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

And if you can only pick a top three, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Escaflowne are so far out of everything else's league that it's crazy. Everyone needs to have those in their collection.[/QUOTE]Guess there's a few I have to pick up in the next couple of months then for at least what I've seen and don't own.

I have Big O when Buy.com had them on the cheap last year, picked up the big-box of GITS when DVDPlanet had them on B1G1, as well as BeBop from Amazon.

I know I'd want to get Wolf's Rain since I know I liked it when it was on Cartoon Network back in the day. I've heard enough good things about Escaflowne to see that it appears to be good enough to own. About the rest, don't know off hand, though I'm assuming that the "Perfect Collection" would be the one to pick up since they seem to be the only ones out there in any abundance?

[quote name='elessar123']Yea, that was bs. I paid $150 for 1-7 and they released a tiny print of 8, and have no hope of completing this set without shelling out another $250. Just means I'm that much more unlikely to buy non-boxed sets more than ever before.

With my luck, they'll discontinue the manga too.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry to hear that, I actually had no idea that volume 8 had such a low print run until I read your post earlier. I also really hope that they don't eventually cancel the US releases of the manga, I don't like reading comics digitally.

[quote name='Vash1306']Correct, the perfect collection is previous two half sets combined into one package.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the confirmation.

I've got to hit up some Gundam, Lucky Star, Haruhi, and Code Geass. Yeah, my wallet's going to be hurting by the time this is done. I'm especially light in the Gundam category, and there is just a crap-ton of material in that series. I could probably give Wing a pass. While I do have a certain degree of nostalgia for the series from the old Toonami days, I recognize that it doesn't quite hold up compared to other Gundam series. I already have 08th MS Team. (one of my favorites) I will definitely want to get Gundam 00, I really liked that one. Seed and Destiny are up in the air, I would get them if I could find a good deal. And of course, I would be interested in picking up a copy of the original series.

escaflowne is awesome, as is wolf's rain (both to this day). Wolf's rain has one of my favorite villains of all time (in an anime at least)...Lord Darcia.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I've got to hit up some Gundam, Lucky Star, Haruhi, and Code Geass. Yeah, my wallet's going to be hurting by the time this is done. I'm especially light in the Gundam category, and there is just a crap-ton of material in that series. I could probably give Wing a pass. While I do have a certain degree of nostalgia for the series from the old Toonami days, I recognize that it doesn't quite hold up compared to other Gundam series. I already have 08th MS Team. (one of my favorites) I will definitely want to get Gundam 00, I really liked that one. Seed and Destiny are up in the air, I would get them if I could find a good deal. And of course, I would be interested in picking up a copy of the original series.[/QUOTE]

yea hopefully code geass will go on sale sometime. i dont have a 100 bucks to blow on it lol

So. I have to get Bandai titles before they become majorly overpriced? I'm game for that. :lol: It's going to take a long time for me to do so, especially for the Gundam titles. But I think I'll manage. I'll go ahead and pick up Mobile Fighter G Gundam Collection at my local Pawn Shop later. Hopefully I can get it for 10. xD

Well looks like I will be buying a crap ton of anime from Bandai.

Now just to figure out what they do so I can buy it all.

[quote name='thelonepig']Code Geass is $29.99 each at Rightstuf.[/QUOTE]

thanks that helps but i still lack 60 dollars the moment lol

ill keep it in mind for later and yea damn crap is about go overpriced hopefully funimation picks up a lot of this and keeps printing it.

EDIT:

be nice if this gets clearanced out like kurokami is on amazon right no at 5-7 bucks a blu ray disc.

[quote name='kayne2000']thanks that helps but i still lack 60 dollars the moment lol

ill keep it in mind for later and yea damn crap is about go overpriced hopefully funimation picks up a lot of this and keeps printing it.

EDIT:

be nice if this gets clearanced out like kurokami is on amazon right no at 5-7 bucks a blu ray disc.[/QUOTE]

Unlikely Funimation will make it much cheaper, due to Code Geass being 2 seasons of 26 episodes each.

And it won't get clearanced like Kurokami. People hated it because it's dubbed only.

There's not a whole lot from Bandai that I need (thank god), but there's a few things I'm sure I'll get pressured into buying... but damn this blows.

[quote name='elessar123']Unlikely Funimation will make it much cheaper, due to Code Geass being 2 seasons of 26 episodes each.

And it won't get clearanced like Kurokami. People hated it because it's dubbed only.[/QUOTE]

well yes but at least if funimation gets it is less likely to go OOP.

and kurokami is good. i never even checked to see if it was in japanese lol. oh well i cant stand that if anime isnt subbed and in japanese its bad mentality so doesnt bug me. such a shame as it is surprisingly a good anime

Amazon currently has six copies of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" [Blu-ray] at $35.98. If you want to pick this up for a reasonable price you'd better get it fast.

[quote name='Vash1306']Just so everyone knows again, Ghost in the Shell and all it's products (both series, blu-rays, movies) are handled by MANGA. So if it's on your list of this to rush and get, take it off cause it won't go out of print along with Bandai.[/QUOTE]

Actually this seems to be only half-true. According to Wikipedia, MANGA only has the liscencing rights for the SAC dvds/blues in the UK. Bandai has/had the license for USA/Canada distribution.

*edit*
Sure enough, there IS a MANGA logo on the reverse cover, so maybe MANGA will pick up re-release rights....but they RARELY do so from my experience. The very few I think were a few films as the "Essential" collection, with not very many actual essential titles IMO.

[quote name='funkymonkeyjavajunky']Amazon currently has six copies of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" [Blu-ray] at $35.98. If you want to pick this up for a reasonable price you'd better get it fast.[/QUOTE]

dvd is still at 22....blu ray is now up to 146 on amazon. truly just wow lol

EDIT:

GITS is probably popular enough to not go OOP but i could be wrong.

I'm content w/o gettin' the blu-ray version. It has nothing on the deluxe edition with the soundtrack. As long as I get The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on time, that's all it matters.

Out of the Gundam-licensed DVDs, Gundam 0080, G Gundam, the classic Mobile Suit Gundam, the movie: Zeta's Counterattack, and G Gundam are must-watch properties.

There are a couple of recommendations that others didn't mention: Outlaw Star and the Crest of the Stars franchise. Outlaw Star is basically Firefly-like, and while the story and character designs are a relic of the '90s, it's still fun and action-packed to watch. Crest of the Stars (followed by Banner of the Stars) is a bit of an acquired taste, but if you love complex Space Operas, it's worth checking out. The anime's very low key and heavy on politics, and word of warning: watch it in Japanese audio. I'm not against English dubs in general, but the dubs in the Stars series are HORRID. It's also a bit of a recommendation for myself, since it's been a while since I've seen the first series.

Also, I'm of the opinion that you should get S1 of The Big-O and ignore S2 altogether; in fact, ignore the last episode of the first season. It makes the series that much enjoyable of an experience, and you don't have to get involved with its convoluted and unsatisfactory plot arc.

Forgot to add a title: Sword of the Stranger. GET IT! The movie's one of the finest pure-action samurai stories in anime.

Just as a heads-up, Right Stuf is doing some manner of back-to-school sale where you can get an extra 10% off all in-stock items. I took advantage of this deal to order a large number of Gundam box sets. (the seat of Bandai's power) With this deal, most of the box sets were $33 each. (the half-series box sets that contained about 26 episodes each) This is competitively priced with most of Amazon's prices for these sets, and a much better price in some instances.

If you want to focus on getting the Universal Century Gundam series (the original and primary Gundam) you are looking at dropping somewhere in the realm of $200 - $250. This is actually pretty reasonable. This would include...

Gundam 0079, parts 1 and 2 (the original Gundam series, that details the events of the one-year war)
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Gundam: Stardust Memory
Gundam: 08th MS Team
Gundam Zeta, parts 1 and 2

While not the entire Universal Century series, this does account for the lion's share of original series Gundam content. I personally opted to wait a little while on the spin-off Gundam series, but those would include...

Gundam Wing, parts 1 and 2
G-Gundam, parts 1 and 2
Gundam Seed, parts 1 and 2
Gundam Seed Destiny, parts 1 and 2
Gundam 00, parts 1 and 2 (technically seasons 1 and 2, but who cares?)

There's also Gundam Unicorn, but I believe that is actually being published in the U.S. by Bandai Japan, so its release schedule won't be affected by Bandai U.S. shutting down.

[quote name='Devulture']Forgot to add a title: Sword of the Stranger. GET IT! The movie's one of the finest pure-action samurai stories in anime.[/QUOTE]

Damn you, I've been interested in that one for a while and I'm a huge fan of Samurai films. Now I'll have to pick it up! I placed an order for Toward the Terra yesterday from www.frys.com. I suggest anyone looking for a copy order it from them; it's the cheapest I've been able to find it for a new copy ($32.50 after shipping).

Just ordered Outlaw Star ($38.99) (5 left as of the time of my order, so hopefully 4 left with mine), Escaflowne ($25.50) and Wolf's Rain ($34.99) from Amazon.

Wolf's Rain and Escaflowne didn't say anything about being low on quantities, though Outlaw Star did.

I can't decide if I should drop a good amount on blu ray or if I should wait and see what other companies pick up the different series.

[quote name='Mako1215']I can't decide if I should drop a good amount on blu ray or if I should wait and see what other companies pick up the different series.[/QUOTE]

Funimation will pick up most of them,and Sentai will pick up the rest most likely .

[quote name='Puppet Master']GITS 2: Innocence DID have a Blu Ray release it's just out of print and overpriced as hell. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K98MFU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I'm assuming that's what your referring to if not than my bad.[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend the EU version. I bought this on sale for $20 shipped to US last year. It's more expensive now, but still beats US version in price by a lot. GITS 2.0 + Innocence 2-pack:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Shell-2-0-Innocence-Blu-ray/dp/B002JWK4XU/

Or just GITS 2: Innocence :br:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Shell-Innocence-Blu-ray-Mamoru/dp/B001U3EONA

[quote name='Richard Kain']There's also Gundam Unicorn, but I believe that is actually being published in the U.S. by Bandai Japan, so its release schedule won't be affected by Bandai U.S. shutting down.[/QUOTE]

The blu-rays are being published by Bandai Japan, but the DVD version was being published by Bandai's U.S. division. So there will be no more episodes on DVD unless Bandai Japan starts releasing region 1 DVDs or another publisher arranges a deal for it.

[quote name='Devulture']There are a couple of recommendations that others didn't mention: Outlaw Star and the Crest of the Stars franchise. Outlaw Star is basically Firefly-like, and while the story and character designs are a relic of the '90s, it's still fun and action-packed to watch. Crest of the Stars (followed by Banner of the Stars) is a bit of an acquired taste, but if you love complex Space Operas, it's worth checking out. The anime's very low key and heavy on politics, and word of warning: watch it in Japanese audio. I'm not against English dubs in general, but the dubs in the Stars series are HORRID. It's also a bit of a recommendation for myself, since it's been a while since I've seen the first series.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Crest/Banner of the Stars is a great show for anyone who can put up with it. Crest of the Stars seemed like the easiest one to get into and you're right about the english dubs. Also, IIRC, all 3 seasons(Crest, Banners 1 & 2) went OOP sometime ago(before Bandai announced they were closing the U.S. branch). So what is out there as new is probably just old stock.

[quote name='tangytangerine']The blu-rays are being published by Bandai Japan, but the DVD version was being published by Bandai's U.S. division. So there will be no more episodes on DVD unless Bandai Japan starts releasing region 1 DVDs or another publisher arranges a deal for it.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I was not aware of the distinction between the DVDs and Blu-Rays. I had only acquired the Blu-Rays up to this point. They are far less economical, but kind of worth it given the quality of animation in Gundam Unicorn. That series looks REALLY good on Blu-Ray.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Just as a heads-up, Right Stuf is doing some manner of back-to-school sale where you can get an extra 10% off all in-stock items. I took advantage of this deal to order a large number of Gundam box sets. (the seat of Bandai's power) With this deal, most of the box sets were $33 each. (the half-series box sets that contained about 26 episodes each) This is competitively priced with most of Amazon's prices for these sets, and a much better price in some instances.

If you want to focus on getting the Universal Century Gundam series (the original and primary Gundam) you are looking at dropping somewhere in the realm of $200 - $250. This is actually pretty reasonable. This would include...

Gundam 0079, parts 1 and 2 (the original Gundam series, that details the events of the one-year war)
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Gundam: Stardust Memory
Gundam: 08th MS Team
Gundam Zeta, parts 1 and 2

While not the entire Universal Century series, this does account for the lion's share of original series Gundam content. I personally opted to wait a little while on the spin-off Gundam series, but those would include...

Gundam Wing, parts 1 and 2
G-Gundam, parts 1 and 2
Gundam Seed, parts 1 and 2
Gundam Seed Destiny, parts 1 and 2
Gundam 00, parts 1 and 2 (technically seasons 1 and 2, but who cares?)

There's also Gundam Unicorn, but I believe that is actually being published in the U.S. by Bandai Japan, so its release schedule won't be affected by Bandai U.S. shutting down.[/QUOTE]

You forgot Chars Counter Attack which takes place after Gundam ZZ which never go a dub or us release and the Gundam F91 movie, both movies are part of the uc gundam universe. Also The Gundam wing movie Endless Waltz and Gundam 00 movie Trailblazer(available on bluray and quite stunning). Otherwise thats about it if you don't care for that SD Gundam crap.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']You forgot Chars Counter Attack which takes place after Gundam ZZ which never go a dub or us release and the Gundam F91 movie, both movies are part of the uc gundam universe. Also The Gundam wing movie Endless Waltz and Gundam 00 movie Trailblazer(available on bluray and quite stunning). Otherwise thats about it if you don't care for that SD Gundam crap.[/QUOTE]

you sig is winner....best robot ever in any tv show ever

[quote name='62t']I am pretty sure Chars Counter Attack got a US release.[/QUOTE]

He was referring to Gundam ZZ, though I had to do a double-take on that one, too.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']He was referring to Gundam ZZ, though I had to do a double-take on that one, too.[/QUOTE]

Correct, to lazy to revise. Though I hope some day in the future that who ever rereleases it whether it be bandai japan or whoever that they finally give zz a release but I won't hold my breath because of how old it is.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']You forgot Chars Counter Attack which takes place after Gundam ZZ which never go a dub or us release and the Gundam F91 movie, both movies are part of the uc gundam universe. Also The Gundam wing movie Endless Waltz and Gundam 00 movie Trailblazer(available on bluray and quite stunning). Otherwise thats about it if you don't care for that SD Gundam crap.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I left out some of the films that go along with the series. Char's Counterattack and F91 are probably the most essential items that I omitted. Very sad about Gundam ZZ (double zeta). A buddy of mine who is a huge Gundam nut is always complaining that they've never released it. He actually bought one of those knock-off sets from the Philippines just to get his hands on it.

And no, no sane person is interested in the SD Gundam crap. I might have to put Char's Counterattack and F91 in the shopping cart the next time I hit up right stuf.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Yeah, I left out some of the films that go along with the series. Char's Counterattack and F91 are probably the most essential items that I omitted. Very sad about Gundam ZZ (double zeta). A buddy of mine who is a huge Gundam nut is always complaining that they've never released it. He actually bought one of those knock-off sets from the Philippines just to get his hands on it.

And no, no sane person is interested in the SD Gundam crap. I might have to put Char's Counterattack and F91 in the shopping cart the next time I hit up right stuf.[/QUOTE]

I really wish Char's Counterattack would be released on Blu-Ray, I love that movie. It's probably the only anime title that I would be willing to pay Japanese prices for; it's too bad the their release isn't subtitled.

Credit to WTK
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

bread's done
Back