Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just grabbed Gundam SEED Collection 1 and all of Gundam SEED Destiny. All three dropped below $29 so I bit. Now to hunt down Code Geass R1.

[quote name='slainviper']General guide, grain of salt, etc.

Also, add in Bokurano, which was written by the author of Narutaru. The better of the two in my opinion.

Edit: Oh, there's a dark tag too. Not sure that one's entirely accurate either.

Also, I started making a list. Not complete.
Alien Nine
Berserk
Bokurano
Boogiepop Phantom
Deadman Wonderland
Death Note
Ergo Proxy
Evangelion
Gantz
Ghost Hound
Hellsing (Ultimate)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Kakurenbo
Kurozuka
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Mirai Nikki
Narutaru
No Longer Human: Director's Cut
Perfect Blue
Serial Experiments Lain
Shigurui
Shiki
Shoujo Tsubaki
Texhnolyze
[/QUOTE]

ive read a lot of the hellsing manga which supposedly ultimate follows. sure its violent but i dont recall anything dark besides that and violence does not equal dark. heck this is the only manga i actually read 90% of lol.

does berserk really get crazy? i saw the first 8 episodes and it wasnt that crazy unless im thinking of another anime.

the only other one ive seen on that list is perfect blue which was a good one not super dark but it qualifies.

[quote name='elessar123']Mindfuck isn't always dark. FLCL, for example, wasn't very dark.

And does Madoka count as dark?[/QUOTE]

agreed mindfuck does not equal dark. if thats the case there are a lot of mindfuck animes we can add to the list lol. i think we need a defintion of dark anime? when i first brought up evangelion and started this i was going with it due to its look into the darker corners of the human brain so perhaps animes that do that and dont just blow my brains out like FLCL tends to do.

also ergo proxy could of been dark but it needed a few more episodes.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Only $470....[/QUOTE]

good thing i make 500 dollars an hour lol

It cost about 40 bucks for a 2 episode set of anime in Japan,and anime fans still bitch about the high prices of anime here.

Also Berserk gets extremely dark near the end of the series,with the eclipse ceremony.

does berserk really get crazy? i saw the first 8 episodes and it wasnt that crazy unless im thinking of another anime.

The last 4-5 episodes are really out there. The tione and the story really change at the end. I'm sore the movie remakes the 3rd film will be about the screaming faces, lol. if you havent watch the Berserk movie it's beautiful especial the battle scenes.

[quote name='themaster20000']It's cost about 40 bucks for a 2 episode set of anime in Japan,and anime fans still bitch about the high prices of anime here.[/QUOTE]

Yea, cause most American dvds and blurays are still cheaper. Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones are $35-$50 a season, so in our market, a 13 episode anime series shouldn't cost more.

That said, I've paid $200 on Haruhi, and $75 on one volume of Madoka. I won't try a single anime without knowing about it at those prices though.

Right now with my anime after getting rid of a lot in my hope to upgrade to blu ray, I am rebuying a lot of the series I use to have. I have found some incredible bargains on Amazon, and I picked up some great shows at a pawn shop. Tenjho Tenje 1-6, Elfed lied 2-4. Ergo Proxy 1-4 all for 25 bucks.

[quote name='elessar123']Yea, cause most American dvds and blurays are still cheaper. Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones are $35-$50 a season, so in our market, a 13 episode anime series shouldn't cost more.[/QUOTE]

I remember paying 20-25 dollars for 1-2 episode VHS tapes.

[quote name='tenchi7']I remember paying 20-25 dollars for 1-2 episode VHS tapes.[/QUOTE]

as do i but doesnt justify high prices or mean when i can buy a full season of another show with 20 episodes for 30 dollars i should buy a 13 episode series for 60 dollars or more.

also funimation has largely stopped the high insane prices. so it makes paying high prices even more ridiculous.

and who cares if its like that in japan this aint japan you want your product to sell here make it comparable with other dvd prices here

I always wanted to get into the Gundam series, but I'm not sure which show to watch. Any suggestions if I only wanted to pick one show?

Well anime is going to cost more in general considering the companies gotta pay for the license fees,and if it's dubbed you gotta charge a bit more.That and it's niche product,so most people who are fans are going to buy them regardless of price.

[quote name='kayne2000']as do i but doesnt justify high prices or mean when i can buy a full season of another show with 20 episodes for 30 dollars i should buy a 13 episode series for 60 dollars or more.

also funimation has largely stopped the high insane prices. so it makes paying high prices even more ridiculous.

and who cares if its like that in japan this aint japan you want your product to sell here make it comparable with other dvd prices here[/QUOTE]You sure about that?

Fractale (11 Episodes) - Retail Price: $69.98

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/-WlxG=XavV439f=eeG/browse/item/94912/4/0/0

Gundam Wing was my entry into the gundam series growing up.Having rewatched it within the last three years I can say it feels really out of touch especially the first ten episodes but I still found it enjoyable as it went on.I find the UC stuff even though a lot of it was made in the late 70s/80s that it holds up pretty well.I'd recommend the original as long as you don't mind the animation being well out of date and go on with Zeta Gundam if you liked that.Some of the OVA stuff like 08 MS Team is great and Stardust Memories was pretty good as well.

Heres a link for the original Gundam to sample it out, the youtube channel has all but maybe 1 episode that wasn't aired in the US I think and its dubbed but I didn't mind the dub personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PvGJTPtiZI&feature=plcp

I haven't watched any of the newer Gundam stuff in the 00s+ so can't really comment on that but from what I've heard Seed is probably the best from that era.

If you had to pick only one...I think I would say the original I guess if you wanted something more of a military like campaign sort of story,G Gundam if you wanted Mecha DBZ,Gundam Wing if you wanted a more team/multiple main characters to choose from.Overall I guess I would just say the 08th MS team,has some slight nudity in it just an fyi if you're cautious over that.I'd hold off on Zeta/ZZ Gundam/Char's Attack/Stardust until watching the original.

[quote name='themaster20000']Well anime is going to cost more in general considering the companies gotta pay for the license fees,and if it's dubbed you gotta charge a bit more.That and it's niche product,so most people who are fans are going to buy them regardless of price.[/QUOTE]

i understand that but you have to compete with the countries dvd price going rate. it doesnt have be cheaper neccessarily but it cant be 5x as much either. and no not every anime fan will buy the overpriced stuff i'd wager most will just download fansubs instead because its hard to afford an 11 episode 70 dollar show

[quote name='Vash1306']You sure about that?

Fractale (11 Episodes) - Retail Price: $69.98

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/-WlxG=XavV439f=eeG/browse/item/94912/4/0/0[/QUOTE]

well not EVERY anime has reasonable prices but a lot more have them now than they used to.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Gundam Wing was my entry into the gundam series growing up.Having rewatched it within the last three years I can say it feels really out of touch especially the first ten episodes but I still found it enjoyable as it went on.I find the UC stuff even though a lot of it was made in the late 70s/80s that it holds up pretty well.I'd recommend the original as long as you don't mind the animation being well out of date and go on with Zeta Gundam if you liked that.Some of the OVA stuff like 08 MS Team is great and Stardust Memories was pretty good as well.

Heres a link for the original Gundam to sample it out, the youtube channel has all but maybe 1 episode that wasn't aired in the US I think and its dubbed but I didn't mind the dub personally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PvGJTPtiZI&feature=plcp

I haven't watched any of the newer Gundam stuff in the 00s+ so can't really comment on that but from what I've heard Seed is probably the best from that era.

If you had to pick only one...I think I would say the original I guess if you wanted something more of a military like campaign sort of story,G Gundam if you wanted Mecha DBZ,Gundam Wing if you wanted a more team/multiple main characters to choose from.Overall I guess I would just say the 08th MS team,has some slight nudity in it just an fyi if you're cautious over that.I'd hold off on Zeta/ZZ Gundam/Char's Attack/Stardust until watching the original.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to go with Gundam Wing because I like action anime. Quick question does the back to school coupon work with this?

It might have a while back but they seemed to have changed to so its not eligible for discounts so no it doesn't work :(.I would also say if you're going to buy the whole series of Gundam Wing then you might as well pick up the movie along with it "Endless Waltz".Overall its still maybe a dollar cheaper then you'd find on Amazon.If you plan to buy them and watch them within the next two years its probably a good idea to pick them up now I would guess since it may be some years before someone else grabs ahold of them and rereleases them in a new boxset.

Heres some coupons you could add in to go with your order to slightly help.Not sure if the first would work or not but wouldn't hurt putting the code in if you are going to buy it.I would think the free bargain bin item should work though.

2012issue02coupons.jpg

Gundam Wing might feel a little dated for some new comers to Gundam. I'd recommend Gundam Season 1+2 and the movie.

Heres the original series linked.Sadly they aren't available for the summer sale discount either :(.I'd watch a few episodes on youtube first to see if its something you would be interested in.I know some people would probably avoid it seeing as the animation is over 30 years old.These boxsets just came out recently in the last year or so.I don't own the sets myself so can't say but from what I've heard there are some instances with the audio being out of sync in the English dub.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/qs7BLXhxM5LdrTmZ4B/browse/item/92629/4/0/0

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/qs7BLXhxM5LdrTmZ4B/browse/item/93968/4/0/0

Could try the compilation movies for the original set if you wanted to as well for about 20-25$.Its the same thing as the show just condensed into three 2 hour movies but also with changes like new animation and the creator changing some things around story wise to better fit his vision so he updated it somewhat.Only complaint about it though is theres no english audio for it so you'd have to settle with the japanese audio and subtitles which work with me.

I might go with 00 since I can use the coupon. I have another coupon that I got from their 25th anniversary. Will I be able to use that coupon along with the back 2 school coupon?

[quote name='jman2avatar']I always wanted to get into the Gundam series, but I'm not sure which show to watch. Any suggestions if I only wanted to pick one show?[/QUOTE]

The Gundam Universe is divided into 2 main universes in a sense. The Universal Century and the Alternate Centuries. UC is kind of the "main" story, the original series, 0080, 0083, Zeta, ZZ, 08th MS team, Unicorn, some others are all a part of a long story that is plot connected.
Alternate series shows are typically 1-2 seasons long, they include Wing, Seed, 00, among others.

The various UC shows typically have better story and character development. They also do a very good job of portraying futuristic warfare. Alternate universe shows are more action oriented, some still have good plot and development.

UC might be a bit overwhelming if you have never seen any Gundam show before. I recommend starting with Gundam Wing or Gundam Seed, which are both alternate universe shows.

If you really like them and you really want to get more into Gundam, then start watching UC, starting with the original series.

But according to the creator, the UC and the majority of the AC connect at some point and end up at Turn A Gundam. :lol:

It's a bit hard to understand but once you think about it. It may make sense.

But I agree with the latter and start with one of the ACs. If you like a series that abandons most reasoning, go for G Gundam. The others are great recommendations as well.

[quote name='fishphoenix']The Gundam Universe is divided into 2 main universes in a sense. The Universal Century and the Alternate Centuries. UC is kind of the "main" story, the original series, 0080, 0083, Zeta, ZZ, 08th MS team, Unicorn, some others are all a part of a long story that is plot connected.
Alternate series shows are typically 1-2 seasons long, they include Wing, Seed, 00, among others.

The various UC shows typically have better story and character development. They also do a very good job of portraying futuristic warfare. Alternate universe shows are more action oriented, some still have good plot and development.

UC might be a bit overwhelming if you have never seen any Gundam show before. I recommend starting with Gundam Wing or Gundam Seed, which are both alternate universe shows.

If you really like them and you really want to get more into Gundam, then start watching UC, starting with the original series.[/QUOTE]

G Gundam is a great starter series if you want over the top action in every episode. It's not the best series, but it is very fun all the way through.

Wing was my first series, followed by SEED. They're both my favorites, I'm sure Wing is for nostalgic reasons. Also note that SEED Destiny is pretty awful.

Here's a list of Gundam I feel I need to buy:

0079 (I've seen the series, but I may just buy the movie trilogy unless I'm convinced otherwise)
War in the Pocket - How is this?
Gundam 00 Season 2 - I've heard it sucks, I own season 1 and I have not watched it yet
Unicorn - I've seen the first 4 OVAs but I'm holding out for a complete Blu-Ray set (which I'm doubtful we'll get a cheap enough version stateside)

Any others I should look at getting? (To note I own Wing, SEED/Destiny, 0083, CCA, Zeta, G Gundam... I think that's it)

Edit: Welp I just realized that the 0079 movie trilogy isn't dubbed, so I guess I'm gonna be forced to buy the series... lame.

Okay so my list of Bandai Anime I need to try to get before the OOP Hammer hits those anime titles:

In Order of Importance:
G Gundam
Code Geass

In No Particular Order:
Gundam Wing
Gurrean Lagann
Big O
Eureka Seven
Escaflowne
Gundam 00

Bandai Series I currently own:
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star

Here hoping that I can get some of them soon (Thank goodness my birthday is near Christmas so there are chance to get more of these titles).

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']G Gundam is a great starter series if you want over the top action in every episode. It's not the best series, but it is very fun all the way through.

Wing was my first series, followed by SEED. They're both my favorites, I'm sure Wing is for nostalgic reasons. Also note that SEED Destiny is pretty awful.

0079 (I've seen the series, but I may just buy the movie trilogy unless I'm convinced otherwise)
Gundam 00 Season 2 - I've heard it sucks, I own season 1 and I have not watched it yet
Unicorn - I've seen the first 4 OVAs but I'm holding out for a complete Blu-Ray set (which I'm doubtful we'll get a cheap enough version stateside)

Any others I should look at getting? (To note I own Wing, SEED/Destiny, 0083, CCA, Zeta, G Gundam... I think that's it)[/QUOTE]

Wing is my first Gundam series and probably my favorite for nostalgic reasons. Endless Waltz as well. I also love Seed and I agree that Seed Destiny was terrible.

I have yet to see War in the Pocket but I want to, I heard it's good. 00 Season 2 is fairly weak, not nearly as good as Season 1, but not as bad as say Seed Destiny was. Unicorn is amazing.

All the ones you own are great, I really recommend getting/seeing 08th MS Team if you haven't. It takes place in UC during the One Year War. It revolves around "average" soldiers who pilot mass-produced Gundams. It's fairly short but does a great job of covering guerrilla warfare and does a great job of being a show where the main characters aren't Newtypes or special pilots or anything, just average.

Another one I've seen is F91, it's a standalone movie. It's not amazing but it's not bad either, worth checking out if you can find it cheap.

Ouch!! lets hope funi pick this up someday.

As for gundam it hard to recommend anything because its really a matter of taste, if you dont like old school shows that show their age then something like gundam seed, 00 or Unicorn might be up your ally, But if you can put up with the older shows I would recommend the original Mobile suit Gundam, G-gundam or Gundam wing above the rest.

Mobile Suit Gundam Trailers:

Gundam Zeta Trailer:
Best I could do, most trailers were for the movie trilogy remake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg0z1bm38Z4

Gundam 0080 War in a Pocket trailer:

Gundam 08 MS Team trailer:

Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory trailer:

Mobile Suit Gundam Chars Counter Attack (Movie) trailer:

Gundam F91 trailer:

G-Gundam trailer:

Gundam Wing trailer:

Gundam Wing Endless Waltz (movie) trailer:

Gundam Seed trailer:

Gundam Seed Destiny trailer:

Gundam 00 trailer:

Gundam 00 (movie) trailer:

Gundam Unicorn trailer:

And for Shits and Giggles, and so everyone knows why its bad:
Gundam SD trailer:

Bonus:

[quote name='kayne2000']ive read a lot of the hellsing manga which supposedly ultimate follows. sure its violent but i dont recall anything dark besides that and violence does not equal dark. heck this is the only manga i actually read 90% of lol.

the only other one ive seen on that list is perfect blue which was a good one not super dark but it qualifies.

agreed mindfuck does not equal dark. if thats the case there are a lot of mindfuck animes we can add to the list lol. i think we need a defintion of dark anime? when i first brought up evangelion and started this i was going with it due to its look into the darker corners of the human brain so perhaps animes that do that and dont just blow my brains out like FLCL tends to do.

also ergo proxy could of been dark but it needed a few more episodes.[/QUOTE]To me it sounds like your definition of "dark" is actually "psychological". Personally I don't care about the definition, I just like making lists.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']Also note that SEED Destiny is pretty awful.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='fishphoenix']I also love Seed and I agree that Seed Destiny was terrible.[/QUOTE]

So much hate for Destiny, lol.

I disliked G Gundam a lot more than Destiny, personally. The first quarter of Destiny did suck
til Kira came around and slapped Shinn silly

And for what it's worth, SEED is almost an re-imaging of UC Gundam, so it does have that merit.

I still haven't watched Unicorn due to the high prices.

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']Okay so my list of Bandai Anime I need to try to get before the OOP Hammer hits those anime titles:

In Order of Importance:
G Gundam
Code Geass

In No Particular Order:
Gundam Wing
Gurrean Lagann
Big O
Eureka Seven
Escaflowne
Gundam 00
[/QUOTE]

G-Gundam is the greatest action show ever made (I know it's hyperbole, but I absolutely love that series). Even though I watched the entire show, I never cared much about Code Geass. I've also watched the entire series of Escaflowne, and I still don't see why people praise this show so highly...I couldn't force myself to like anything about it, other than that cat-girl with a crush on Van. Gundam Wing is okay, but a bit dry for my taste.

I would probably nab Big O and Gurren Lagann as top priorities in your "No Particular Order" list. Those series are definitely worth watching, at least in my small opinion.

Thank god I managed to snag a bunch of Bandai dvd's at Big Lots SUPER cheap. I think for like 3 bucks. Some of them still sealed. It does piss me off that I have random volumes of random gundam lying around. I did complete Gundam Zeta and Gundam Seed...also have Gundam wing complete with the movie and also Gundam F91 and Chars Counter Attack....I am currently working on picking up hack-Legend of the Twilight(Lack vol 3) and Scrapped Princess....just bought Girl Who Leapt Through Time(Dvd Only sadly) and the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Hope to pick up more. I have a LOT of Bandai releases so not much more to go(That I am interested in anyways)

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']G Gundam is a great starter series if you want over the top action in every episode. It's not the best series, but it is very fun all the way through.

Any others I should look at getting? (To note I own Wing, SEED/Destiny, 0083, CCA, Zeta, G Gundam... I think that's it)

Edit: Welp I just realized that the 0079 movie trilogy isn't dubbed, so I guess I'm gonna be forced to buy the series... lame.[/QUOTE]

0080: War in the Pocket is really good. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It's a six episode OVA, so you should be able to find it pretty cheap. Plus, one of the main characters is voiced by Solid Snake himself.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure why so many seem to have negative views of Season 2 of Gundam 00, but I found it to be just a compelling as the first season.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JoePianist']G-Gundam is the greatest action show ever made (I know it's hyperbole, but I absolutely love that series). Even though I watched the entire show, I never cared much about Code Geass. I've also watched the entire series of Escaflowne, and I still don't see why people praise this show so highly...I couldn't force myself to like anything about it, other than that cat-girl with a crush on Van. Gundam Wing is okay, but a bit dry for my taste.

I would probably nab Big O and Gurren Lagann as top priorities in your "No Particular Order" list. Those series are definitely worth watching, at least in my small opinion.[/QUOTE]

I love G Gundam too as it is the only gundam series i can watch without being bored. As for my in no particular order list it is trying to get most of those series before they get hit by the oop price multiplyer. Most of those are some i havent watched before so they are just thrown in there but i would like to get ahold of them if i could.

Also, what are the chances that some of the bandai titles will not get oop so quickly? I ask this cause i plan to get some of them soon (for my birthday) but wanted to see how hard some could be to obtain after november so i could get more for christmas.

:( Theres too much I wanna buy.Need G Gundam to help finish out my Gundam collection and thinking a little on Gundam 00 but might skip it.Outlaw Star seems like a good choice to pick up along the way and at one point was planning on getting Eureka Seven after hearing so many good things about it and Towards Terra I hear is pretty great too.Already still on a backlog that I still haven't even came close to finishing from last Christmas.

[quote name='Magiblaze']:( Theres too much I wanna buy.Need G Gundam to help finish out my Gundam collection and thinking a little on Gundam 00 but might skip it.Outlaw Star seems like a good choice to pick up along the way and at one point was planning on getting Eureka Seven after hearing so many good things about it and Towards Terra I hear is pretty great too.Already still on a backlog that I still haven't even came close to finishing from last Christmas.[/QUOTE]

honestly i didnt like eureka seven. i watched it on all adult swim but it was terrible if you ask me. took 25 episodes to even get remotely interesting and after that its still not the most interesting thing ever but thats probably cause the two main characters are the ones i hate the most.

yea gundam i never really watched growing up and theres too much of it and nothing enough money to bother with it. honestly though i cant imagine all of gundam getting lost. it just doesnt seem right. seems like there is enough money in gundam to whore it out.

and whoever posted that article thanks. i was wondering what might happen to some of the bandai animes.

and like the other guy i liked S-Cry-ed even if a lot of people didnt seem to like it.

i really hope somebody picks up some of these other animes. Big O hopefully as i wanted to see that from start to finish...code geass...and im sure others im forgetting. im trading hopefully a little under 200 dollars in textbooks the bookstore wouldnt take to amazon so hopefully amazon puts some of this crap on sale lol. granted im still out a thousand dollars probably but at least ill watch the dvds i wont touch these books again ever.

Sigh so many I want, I need to choose which ones I really want. I've seen em all but want them for my collection. Outlaw Star, Gundam Seed, Gundam 0080, the original Gundam series, Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time are probably the ones I want the most. Still too much though, trying to limit myself to $100...

[quote name='Squall835']0080: War in the Pocket is really good. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It's a six episode OVA, so you should be able to find it pretty cheap. Plus, one of the main characters is voiced by Solid Snake himself.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure why so many seem to have negative views of Season 2 of Gundam 00, but I found it to be just a compelling as the first season.[/QUOTE]A lot of people didn't like the introduction of aliens in Gundam 00, and even more people had a problem with the magical healing rainbow at the end. There might also have been a problem with semi-reviving a bunch of the characters though I'm not sure on that one.

[quote name='slainviper']There might also have been a problem with semi-reviving a bunch of the characters though I'm not sure on that one.[/QUOTE]

Ultimately a matter of personal taste. I happened to like Gundam 00 a lot, but that is just me. And there are plenty of different AC series to choose from if Gundam 00 isn't your bag.

I wasn't nearly as fond of Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. For me it was a matter of too many angsty teens. Those series dial the angst and the teenagers past eleven. The writing, character development, drama, and animation in Seed and Destiny are all good. I can't fault them in any of those categories. I just didn't enjoy the overabundance of angst and teenagers. While Gundam in general is known for both of these elements, they usually manage to keep the cast of angst-ridden teens below ten or so for each series. In Seed and Destiny it is wall-to-wall teenagers angsting in every direction.

G-Gundam is absolutely ridiculous, but kind of appealing in its over-the-top abandon. Also, it has a lumber-jack themed Gundam, and that is undeniably awesome. If you want a Gundam series that is focused on action instead of war, this is the one for you.

Gundam Wing is usually considered a bit mediocre by today's standards. It managed to gain considerable popularity thanks to its release on Cartoon Network. For many people this series served as their introduction to anime. In hindsight a lot of the characters were a bit flat. I did feel that a lot of the mecha designs in this series were quite good. Talgeese and Epyon are still some of my favorite Gundam models. (along with Heavy Arms Custom)

Apparently, Sunrise insisted on licensing the Gundam franchise as one big contract. This is why it took a few years for the Gundam cartoons to come to the west, no one was willing to sign up for such a big licensing deal. Bandai was one of the bigger publishing studios bringing anime to the west at the time, and they opted to take on the challenge.

The bad news is that as long as Sunrise sticks to this policy, it is highly unlikely that we will see another company publish Gundam in the west. There are so many Gundam shows, and so many of them are older, that it is very unlikely that any current anime publisher would choose to pick up the entire package. This means that the Gundam DVDs are actually at greater risk of being permanently OOP in the west than almost any other series that Bandai currently publishes.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Gundam Wing is usually considered a bit mediocre by today's standards. It managed to gain considerable popularity thanks to its release on Cartoon Network. For many people this series served as their introduction to anime. In hindsight a lot of the characters were a bit flat. I did feel that a lot of the mecha designs in this series were quite good. Talgeese and Epyon are still some of my favorite Gundam models. (along with Heavy Arms Custom)
[/QUOTE]

I've never cared for any of the Talgeese, but I agree on Heavyarms Custom. It's so rare to have a Gundam run out of weapons. Also, I still love the Deathscythe.

bread's done
Back