Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

I was not a fan of Man of Steel, and I didn't have high expectations for this either, but I was pleasantly surprised. It does start a little slow, but for being just a tad over two and a half hours, it didn't seem like it was dragging on. Affleck actually impressed me as Batman and now I'm looking forward to the standalone Batman movie a lot more.

I also saw it at an Alamo Drafthouse and picked up this awesome Mondo pint glass and CE of Birth.Movies.Death magazine. And 2,500 random copies of the magazine also have a Mondo flexi-disc single included.

BvS_800x600_BLOG_800_600_81_s.jpg

Considering the mess that was MoS, did anyone expect it to be any different? If anything, they'd dial it TO THE XTREME instead of going with what worked to give it some depth, not to mention actually showing us some colors.

I'm going to catch this eventually, but we should all know that going in, this wasn't going to be a gamechanger.
Also it being from the man who did Sucker Punch,which was apparently a deep piece on female empowerment :roll:

I came in with very, very low expectation and even than it was still a disappointment. The critics were right and this movie is just awful. I even gave the movie the benefit of the doubt before heading in and thinking the critics were just being snubs, but it was just a mess and plain awful. The beginning was a torture and there was no real point to this movie. Only cool part was seeing Wonder Woman appear and even than that was spoiled by all the trailer. 

I have no hope for the rest of the DC movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it in Fake Imax 3d today for the second viewing

There are at least 3-4 (maybe 5) scenes that were IMAX scenes that I could recall the screen switching aspect ratio. 

-The death of Wayne's parents/funeral in the beginning. (waste of IMAX)

-The beginning part the fight between Armored Batman and Superman in the rain. 

-The Doomsday battle scene?

-The Superman/Clark Funeral scene. (Holy shit that is the second time that scene made me cry)

3D was meh.

Anyone think that Perry should have/could have fired Kent for disobeying his instructions to drop the Batman story? 

I really wondered how did they explain that Kent was a causality of the battle with Doomsday to Perry?

So did Luthor plant the bomb inside of that guy's Wheelchair or did the guy do it himself?

How did Luthor figure out who Superman/Batman was in real life?

I really think the DC will answer a lot of questions with that extra 30 minutes back into the movie. 

I also think that Snyder doesn't know how to properly use an IMAX camera.  The scene where Superman and Zod duke it out and the World Engine doing it's damage could have been great in IMAX.

I saw it again today and still really liked it. My only two real issues with the movie are
Martha and showing Batman's parents die at the beginning. Even though it was short it was still incredibly unnecessary.

Regarding your questions ITDEFX
Luthor did the wheelchair bomb, which is why he wasn't there when it happened. Luthor seemed to already have known about Bruce from returning all those checks to him and sending those letters. He probably found out about Clark from the ship

Saw it today, it was worse than I expected.  The movie was a complete mess.  The only part I really liked was Batman's Arkham style fight.  Wonder Woman was fine but I have zero interest in her solo movie.  I know people exaggerate when they say "Everything was in the trailer!" but seriously, everything was in the trailers.  I will never watch this trainwreck again, fuck Zack Snyder.

It's funny how everybody says that Wonder Woman stole the show when she's in it less than a minute. That just show you how shitty the movie is. Even than I am not really sure if Wonder Woman character or her movie would be interesting at all.

No offenses to the Cags that enjoys it but I think the majority of the person here is going to hate it. I am glad you enjoyed it though.

I really enjoyed Man of Steel, so I had hoped to like this at least as much. Not so it would seem. Action scenes were still good as expected, but Snyder seemed incapable of telling one coherent story. Like MoS, lots of bouncing forward in time to make me realize that this is less of a movie with story and more of a movie about a collection of moments with little to no linking everything together in a satisfying way.

BvS was an hour of plot stretched into 150 min with paper thin motivations for most characters. Eisenberg plays Lex like he's actually the Joker, and because he's so incoherent it doesn't feel like the film has a real antagonist. Remember in Superman Returns how it felt like nothing actually happened for the majority of the film? That's kind of how this felt to me.

Also, why is
Doomsday so big? It felt like they were trying to have the Hulk. AND, if Lex was counting on Batman to kill Superman, it's not like he could have hit the abort switch on Doomsday, because Doomsday was ready right after the time limit ran out. Was he fine with this rampaging monster being created anyway? Probably, I guess, because he's insane, but Lex is supposed to be more calculated than that.

It was dumb. Really, really dumb.

What really bothered me is that Gotham is across the bay from Metropolis?? Is Gotham a borough of Metropolis? I thought they were hours apart. In previous Batman films, Gotham's architecture and scenery has been a major part of establishing the aesthetic and feel of the character. This film jumps (across the bay) between cities and there's no meaningful difference between their skyscrapers or unpopulated streets.

And given that proximity, in the 18 months after MoS, Batman never tried to contact Superman until now?? That makes no sense. If they wanted to world-build, Bruce Wayne should have been in MoS. Simple as that.

I would have much preferred a standalone Batman film, because honestly Affleck was the best part of the movie. He was fine as Bruce Wayne and I personally think they nailed Batman.

I took Lexs goal as wanting to show the world that Superman wasnt the "God" material some made him out to be and that, specifically Lex, could orchestrate a way to show that.

Like quite a bit of things in this film, I dont think they fleshed out certain motivations nearly as much as they should.

Regarding Affleck, i liked his Batman but not so much his Bruce. I think the script didnt separate the two sides of him enough. Anytime he was Bruce, he was still in Batman mode 99% of the time. I still feel like Bale doesnt get enough credit for how different his Batman and Bruce felt from one another. His billionaire playboy felt more lively and happy than other actors tend to portray Bruce when in public.

Liked Perry getting more screentime and thought Irons did well as Alfred. Still not feeling Lois, and I really wish they went with the collected and confident businessman Lex instead of bumbling hyperactive mad scientist Lex.

I took Lexs goal as wanting to show the world that Superman wasnt the "God" material some made him out to be and that, specifically Lex, could orchestrate a way to show that.

Like quite a bit of things in this film, I dont think they fleshed out certain motivations nearly as much as they should.

Regarding Affleck, i liked his Batman but not so much his Bruce. I think the script didnt separate the two sides of him enough. Anytime he was Bruce, he was still in Batman mode 99% of the time. I still feel like Bale doesnt get enough credit for how different his Batman and Bruce felt from one another. His billionaire playboy felt more lively and happy than other actors tend to portray Bruce when in public.

Liked Perry getting more screentime and thought Irons did well as Alfred. Still not feeling Lois, and I really wish they went with the collected and confident businessman Lex instead of bumbling hyperactive mad scientist Lex.
I agree regarding Christian Bale. When comparing the two, though, I think it's important to remember Bale's Wayne is a young billionaire playboy, whereas Affleck's Wayne has been doing this for 20 years, and it seems to have worn him down. Hints at the past like Robin's suit which was vandalized by the Joker, for example - there's evidence of his success and failure alike all over. This is much more similar to the Bruce Wayne we see in The Dark Knight Rises.

Agree on other points - Laurence Fishburn is great as Perry. I'd like to see a plot where the Planet matters more. After watching Daredevil and seeing how well they balance Murdock's life as a lawyer vs a superhero, I'd like to see the reporter side of Clark. Maybe a plot where he uses his press credentials in conjunction with Wayne's detective skills, anything with more substance than just reasons to blow things up.

What I've liked about Marvel (esp films like Winter Soldier) is crafting smart plots that aren't so predictable, even when the characters involved seem really capable. I know DC is capable of telling stories like that, but I don't think this film does that.

Jesse Eisenberg was the WRONG person to play Luthor period.  Clancy Brown does an amazing job doing the voice of Luthor in the animated series and honestly could have been perfect as the live action Luthor which would have been more believable than this ADHD kid Eisenberg was playing.

Mercy Graves was a wasted opportunity.   She did more in the Wolverine than in this movie...argh. 

I do agree that the distance between Gotham and Metropolis was too close (maybe an hour's drive?) and you could barely tell the difference between the two cities, which in the comics and animated series you could. 

if that is the case....

Why did BRUCE come to Metropolis instead of Batman? or why come at all?  He wasn't just in town when the battle happened, he came in a hurry and took off in the car after he landed.

A lot of reasons why people liked Affleck's Batman vs Bale/Keaton is because the writers took elements from The Dark Knight Returns as they probably felt that the audience doesn't need another reboot or the rise of batman type of story.  However...did we really need another death of Bruce's parents scene? 

also , is it me or does Doomsday (Phase 1) look like

leon.jpg

and that after each major hit, the thing starts mutating to something stronger just like RE games?

^I agree with your spoiler, but we all pretty much know what Doomsday looks like from the trailers, so maybe we don't need a spoiler tag?

Turth be told, I didn't like Batfleck one bit. Everyone is dumb as fucking rocks in this movie. All the fights and dialogue were dumb as hell too, but at least everything looks awesome. Cribbing from DKR's is fine, but most, if not all of the callbacks are weak and unearned, hence the weak scripting and plotting to transition in and out of them. Everytime the WW played, the only thing I could think of was Xena.

Like TF1, it's a fun dumb movie, although if I had to compare it to the TF movies, it's more like TF2. The difference is that Bay is totally self-aware and Snyder is slidecage.

Can't wait for the extended edition! LOLZ

Wait so you were trolling us the whole time when you said you like it?
Haha...not at all. I genuinely enjoyed it, but it's flawed as hell and not a well-rounded good movie. Mortal Kombat 2 is a terrible movie, but I still watch it everytime it's on tv. I'm not saying it's Samurai Cop levels of terrible, but maybe Samurai Cop 2 because there's actually a payoff if you stick with it.

There are so many times where I've wanted to post that Scrubs clip I did from earlier - especially in response to those complaining that it's not like a Marvel movie and "not humorous". I swear people are reaching for reasons to hate on the movie, some I've read include "Not enough Clark Kent" to "You can't see Doomsday's penis".

I liked Batman v Superman. In fact, I liked it a lot. My main worry going in wasn't about the acting or the special effects. Rather, it was the risk of trying to include too many story elements with too many characters on the screen.  Fortunately, this movie did not do that. There's a Marvel movie that did and it was a mess. So much of a mess that they rebooted the series (and apparently trying to reboot thecharacter yet again). That movie is called Spider-man 3 (which is a shorter movie by 10 minutes) and it's worse than Batman v Superman for that reason alone. But back to the DC movie ... 

Of course you're going to want to see Wonder Woman and the other superheroes if you know they are going to be in it ahead of time. The movie was made so you wouldn't know it was Diana until later on. Don't blame the filmmakers for this one; blame the moron who put it in the commercial and the others who leaked it in articles.  I don't follow interviews and "first looks" of movies so potential story elements are not spoiled for me; it's too bad so many others won't do the same.  

The dark tone of the movie didn't bother me too much. After all, this is from the same people who did Man of Steel so that was a given going in. Of course this doesn't mean I agreed with every decision made with the characters. But if you're going to complain that it's not like a certain movie or a certain comic book, then stop watching these (i.e.anything adapted) because they never will be like those and you'll be disappointed time and time again.  That's why a movie like Batman Begins is great and Catwoman sucks. Both different from other versions, but on its own Catwoman is a trainwreck for one wrong turn after another.

You know what else was a wreck? The Transformers sequels (I actually liked the first one). Dark of the Moon?! The title alone is bad. And it got worse and worse as the movie continued (I shudder at what Age of Extinction is like.)

Another mess of a film? Sucker Punch.  Batman v Superman, on the other hand, actually had some structure - whether or not you agreed with the decisions, it stayed the course.  What, did you want Clark Kent to develop an evil side, start dancing to music, and punch Lois Lane?
because that worked so well in Spider-man 3  :roll: 

About any other comment I have would include spoilers so I'll stop here.But if you think this movie is bad, try watching Batman and Robin, Elektra, and/or Judge Dredd some time.

You're right the movie is not bad at all, it's freaking awful. I am not even comparing it to anything else and it still a terrible stand alone movie. So much miscast and pointless subplots that makes no sense at all or didn't need to be there in the first place. This movie is just as bad as those movie you mentioned above and it should be categorize with those movies. Glad you like it though. 

Also Spider-man 3 isn't a Marvel movie it's a Sony movie using a Marvel license. 

That's true about Age of Ultron. It seem like they were just trying to set up the next phase of the Marvel movie. With BvS it seemed like WB and DC just want to setup the Justice League as quick as possible to compete with the Marvel movies. 

In the comics, I believe Gotham is either New York or at least in New Jersey, while Metropolis is in Kansas. I believe the DCAU had Gotham on the East Coast and Metropolis on the West Coast.

As for Eisenberg, it's since come out that Snyder WAS talking to Bryan Cranston to play Lex with Eisenberg to play Jimmy Olsen. However, in talking about what they wanted to do with Jimmy
namely have a big name actor play a popular side character who gets killed early on
somebody on Snyder's posse remarked that it was a very Lex-like move and then they decided to have Eisenberg play Lex instead.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this post. You know what all the movies you listed, including BvS, have in common? They all suck. So, if you like bad movies you'll like BvS, got it.
LOLZ...I happen to like those shitty movies on that list, except for Elektra, but only because I've never seen it...well all of it anyways. I'm pretty tempted to see DD now too!

LOLZ...I happen to like those shitty movies on that list, except for Elektra, but only because I've never seen it...well all of it anyways. I'm pretty tempted to see DD now too!
Hey, I have no problem with people liking crap movies as long as they can admit they're not good. I like some bad movies, but I absolutely know they're bad.

dah fuk!?!?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUzvASr8s

Ok I can see how this would be the scene where the government captures Lex then throws him into prison leading to the Batman near branding scene.  I assume those are motherboxes (the 3 cubes), but the Devil???!?!?!?   Unless.............this is Synder's version of Darkseid ...hmmm.... Luthor was too easily captured when he had total access to that Kryptonian Technology.  He could have taken it and gone into hiding.  The drones could have easily protected him.

Hey, I have no problem with people liking crap movies as long as they can admit they're not good. I like some bad movies, but I absolutely know they're bad.
I disagree with BvS being a bad movie. It has issues, but I don't think enough to make it bad. There are a lot of movies I think are terrible that others think are good. That's just how opinions work.

Ok I can see how this would be the scene where the government captures Lex then throws him into prison leading to the Batman near branding scene. I assume those are motherboxes (the 3 cubes), but the Devil???!?!?!? Unless.............this is Synder's version of Darkseid ...hmmm.... Luthor was too easily captured when he had total access to that Kryptonian Technology. He could have taken it and gone into hiding. The drones could have easily protected him.
A lot of people believe it to be Yuga Khan, Darkseid's Daddy.

I disagree with BvS being a bad movie. It has issues, but I don't think enough to make it bad. There are a lot of movies I think are terrible that others think are good. That's just how opinions work.
I don't have any issues with people that like the movie, because yes it is just based on your preferences. The only issue I have is people thinking that you are hating on the movie because you like Marvel movies, you're a comic fanboy, or whatever. I just don't like the movie because I think it is just bad and it has nothing to do with DC vs Marvel movie, or if I am big comic fan or not. It is just a bad movie for me because the story suck and it doesn't make sense at all.

You're right the movie is not bad at all, it's freaking awful. I am not even comparing it to anything else and it still a terrible stand alone movie. So much miscast and pointless subplots that makes no sense at all or didn't need to be there in the first place. This movie is just as bad as those movie you mentioned above and it should be categorize with those movies. Glad you like it though.

Also Spider-man 3 isn't a Marvel movie it's a Sony movie using a Marvel license.
What is considered a Marvel movie in your opinion?

A movie made by Marvel Studios. What's the point of the question, were you being serious about it to try and prove some point?
He probably wanted to rub Fantastic Four and Spiderman 3 in your face. It's too bad I'd rather watch them again over BvS.

He probably wanted to rub Fantastic Four and Spiderman 3 in your face. It's too bad I'd rather watch them again over BvS.
The Tim Story ones, maybe, but Fant4stic is far, far worse. For all the problems BvS has, it still had a far better cast than Fan4stic.

BTW, this might be my favorite article on how bad BvS is: http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-v-superman-spoiler-faq-of-justice-1767720335?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=tuesdayPM

The Tim Story ones, maybe, but Fant4stic is far, far worse. For all the problems BvS has, it still had a far better cast than Fan4stic.

BTW, this might be my favorite article on how bad BvS is: http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-v-superman-spoiler-faq-of-justice-1767720335?utm_source=recirculation&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=tuesdayPM
I'd rather watch Fant4stic over BvS too. Get a group of friends and you can laugh and shred that movie and have a fun time. BvS is far more dour and disappointing to laugh at it, I just sat in the theater constantly facepalming.

Great read on that article. Is this the same person that did a similar article for the second Transformers movie? That one was brilliant.

I liked batman vs superman and spiderman 3. Hated f4. Eat a dick, you didn't know what i wanted to do. I just asked a question
I think we don't need to resort to dick-eating, unless you're going to show us by providing instructional classes on how to do it properly.

I'm sure a man with your vast experience on the topic would be the perfect person to teach others how to properly eat a dick.

Guess you missed that the first time, huh?
I'm usually provided the one providing the dick. If you're still interested you can google it and find some instructional videos for you to download. Don't worry, champ, you'll be great one day. Just keep trying, and you'll have them cumming for more in no time

I think we don't need to resort to dick-eating, unless you're going to show us by providing instructional classes on how to do it properly.
When someone of low intelligence gets angry they resort to gay bashing. Although in a later post he said he provides the dick so I'm not sure if he's gay bashing or wants me to join in his gay escapades.

I'm usually provided the one providing the dick. If you're still interested you can google it and find some instructional videos for you to download. Don't worry, champ, you'll be great one day. Just keep trying, and you'll have them cumming for more in no time
Not sure how that could be, unless you're handing them a micrometer and tweezers to find it. I don't have those handy, so we'll just pass on like the Ken doll I'm sure you are.

When someone of low intelligence gets angry they resort to gay bashing. Although in a later post he said he provides the dick so I'm not sure if he's gay bashing or wants me to join in his gay escapades.
It's either that or they get up on their hind legs from walking on all fours and then thump their chest menacingly to try and scare off others. Usually doesn't work.

Not sure how that could be, unless you're handing them a micrometer and tweezers to find it. I don't have those handy, so we'll just pass on like the Ken doll I'm sure you are.

It's either that or they get up on their hind legs from walking on all fours and then thump their chest menacingly to try and scare off others. Usually doesn't work.
Lol you guys are too much.

I'd rather watch Fant4stic over BvS too. Get a group of friends and you can laugh and shred that movie and have a fun time. BvS is far more dour and disappointing to laugh at it, I just sat in the theater constantly facepalming.
Wonder Woman alone was better than all of Fan4stic. Hell, the whole fight with Doomsday was actually pretty good until the bullshit with Lois and the spear.

bread's done
Back