Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Last edited by a moderator:
Box office gross comparing the 03/25/16 date to the 04/01/16 date had a drop of almost 80%.  Ouch.

Just got back...I'm with the critics, that was a pretty big disappointment. It had some good moments, but Jesus Christ, Superman came across as such a bitch.

Even with the drop, it looks like it did fairly well.  I think it's because the audience has been bombarded with Marvel movies twice a year for years is why people favor Marvel vs DC.  If you had the same amount of DC movies as the amount of Marvel movies released, I think things would be different.    I thought this movie was over all pretty good.   We will never know what would have happened if both movies were released at the same time as originally planned.... I really suspect the major theater chains bitched for more money to have two major movies go head to head with each other on the same weekend.  Since regal and amc have usually one big screen in their theaters like RPX or ETX, how would they decide what movie gets played on the premium screens?  Also no theater would ever dare set each of their screens to playing the same movie.  

WB chicken out and that was the right move. No way will they made the kind of money they did if they went up with Civil War.

Also pretty sure people just prefer a good movie over a bad one, it got nothing to do with DC or Marvel. Most people probably can't tell you what characters are from Marvel or DC.

I will say that the movie did exceed my expectations. It's still not a good movie and I will not be picking up the Blu-ray, but it had decent parts, so it was better than I thought. Especially for a film made up of Zack Snyder, David Goyer, and Frank Miller.

I saw the 3D version on Saturday. It exceeded my expectations. I liked the movie. It wasn't great, but it was decent to me. Were certain parts terrible? Sure. But I enjoyed most of the film. Had I not known what type of characterization to expect, I may have been disappointed. But that wasn't the case.

WB chicken out and that was the right move. No way will they made the kind of money they did if they went up with Civil War.

Also pretty sure people just prefer a good movie over a bad one, it got nothing to do with DC or Marvel. Most people probably can't tell you want characters are from Marvel or DC.
The original plan was BvS on the same day as Avengers 2.

As far as comic book movies go, I do consider it a good one. However, I don't consider BvS or 99% of the MCU movies to fall in the category of best comic movies.

The original plan was BvS on the same day as Avengers 2.

As far as comic book movies go, I do consider it a good one. However, I don't consider BvS or 99% of the MCU movies to fall in the category of best comic movies.
Doesn't really matter but it is indeed Civil War and not Avengers 2:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Batman-v-Superman-Ran-Away-From-Captain-America-66682.html

Probably the best comic book movie for me was Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Avengers, and Guardian of the Galaxy.

Even with the drop, it looks like it did fairly well. I think it's because the audience has been bombarded with Marvel movies twice a year for years is why people favor Marvel vs DC. If you had the same amount of DC movies as the amount of Marvel movies released, I think things would be different. I thought this movie was over all pretty good. We will never know what would have happened if both movies were released at the same time as originally planned.... I really suspect the major theater chains bitched for more money to have two major movies go head to head with each other on the same weekend. Since regal and amc have usually one big screen in their theaters like RPX or ETX, how would they decide what movie gets played on the premium screens? Also no theater would ever dare set each of their screens to playing the same movie.
Yeah, I'm sure critics and fans alike only like Marvel because they put out a lot of movies. fuck outta here with that shit and stop trying to make excuses.

Yeah, I'm sure critics and fans alike only like Marvel because they put out a lot of movies. fuck outta here with that shit and stop trying to make excuses.
As bad as the excuse that critics and fans don't like dark superhero films,despite the Nolan Batman trilogy being well received(it helps that those films didn't beat you over the head with how "dark" they were).

Even with the drop, it looks like it did fairly well. I think it's because the audience has been bombarded with Marvel movies twice a year for years is why people favor Marvel vs DC. If you had the same amount of DC movies as the amount of Marvel movies released, I think things would be different. I thought this movie was over all pretty good. We will never know what would have happened if both movies were released at the same time as originally planned.... I really suspect the major theater chains bitched for more money to have two major movies go head to head with each other on the same weekend. Since regal and amc have usually one big screen in their theaters like RPX or ETX, how would they decide what movie gets played on the premium screens? Also no theater would ever dare set each of their screens to playing the same movie.
Were you drunk when you posted this?

Hey, did you think there wasn't enough murder in the DC Murderverse? Well, a couple of days ago, it was discovered that Dead Robin's signature weapon in this universe was not a staff of some kind like his comic and TV portrayals.

It was a halberd.

Halberds, for those who don't know, are a combination axe/spear that specializes in both piercing and cutting the same opponet.

And there are people that still defend this.

They are reshooting some part of the Suicide Squad movie based on the reception that BvS got.
Where did you hear that? First I read they were adding more humor to the movie then I read it was BS. People are already trying to compare it with GoTG because of all the music in the trailer.

Nothing in that article mentions the reshoots having to do with the reception of BvS.
Of course it doesn't, this is PR control afterward when there were reports before that WB wanted a reshoot because of the reception of BvS. They are not going to admit the reshoots is because of BvS. Why would they do that as a PR stand point?

Of course it doesn't, this is PR control afterward when there were reports before that WB wanted a reshoot because of the reception of BvS. They are not going to admit the reshoots is because of BvS. Why would they do that as a PR stand point?
So you're just making assumptions and presenting them as facts? It says in the very link you posted, that the whole reason WB wanted reshoots was so the movie would fall more in line with the very well received trailer they released in January, not because of BvS reception. Even Jai Courtney saying the reshoots were for action scenes doesn't really help prove you're argument.

You're also completely ignoring the fact that reshoots on big budget superhero movies are very common these days.

I get that you hated BvS, but it sounds like you're grasping at straws when it comes to this.

Don't take it personal just because you liked the movie, cause once again there is nothing wrong if you like it. The Suicide Squad trailer received positive reactions because of the tone and humor. The problem is that a source said that all the tone and humor were all in that one trailer and WB grew concern about it, considering what happened to BvS ticket sales a week after.

Afterward the director said it was to include more actions scenes and not because of humor which is most likely for PR reason. Do you think people would still have the same excitement level if he would said, yup all the stuff that you liked was in the trailer and that's it, so we are going have to go back and change the tone of the movie to include more of what you liked? Or would people be still excited for the movie if he said, No there's plenty of that tone and humor you liked and the reshoots is for more action. You don't think a PR person doesn't sit down and talk to the actor or actress and tell them what to say and what not to say when they're out promoting their movie for interviews?

I think that it is good that WB is realizing there's some issues with their DC movie universe and is trying to fix it. So far the Suicide Squad movie looks way more interesting and is probably going to be way better than BvS because Synder is not doing it.

BTW:
I only posted that article to show that a reshoot was happening because the other guy post sounds like he didn't believe there's a reshoot happening.

I am not too worried about SS right now... I am more worried how Star Trek Beyond is going to turn out as I've follow most of it's developments and it seems like they have been having a LOT of trouble writing it and the trailer makes it look more like they lost the Enterprise, get captured by some alien race to be enslaved so Kirk has to rescue them.   That's the feel I got from the trailer, which not what I expected for the 50th anniversary of the series.

I am pretty sure Suicide Squad will be fine. They just need someone else at the helm for the DC universe because I don't think the darker tone is the issue since Batman Begins and The Dark Knight proved that it could work, the issue is with Snyder.

As much as it's beating a dead horse, it is pretty facepalming reading Zack Snyder's comments about superheroes pre-Man of Steel. How he wouldn't read any comics unless there's killing and/or sex and that if he had made the Nolan trilogy Bruce Wayne would have been raped in prison at some point.

On the Twitter, former Spider-Man/Firestorm/Law and Order: Criminal Intent writer Gerry Conway is getting into a flame war with a bunch of BvS lovers. I hope he takes this as a learning exercise.

As much as it's beating a dead horse, it is pretty facepalming reading Zack Snyder's comments about superheroes pre-Man of Steel. How he wouldn't read any comics unless there's killing and/or sex and that if he had made the Nolan trilogy Bruce Wayne would have been raped in prison at some point.
"
giphy.gif

On the Twitter, former Spider-Man/Firestorm/Law and Order: Criminal Intent writer Gerry Conway is getting into a flame war with a bunch of BvS lovers. I hope he takes this as a learning exercise.
He's also unnecessarily being a dick by posting GoT spoilers as part of his argument.

I will say that while I liked Snyder's early work such as the Dawn of the Dead remake, I've grown a little tired of him lately. He seems to be headed down the Michael Bay road where he gets so far up his own ass that he has no concept of what will be entertaining to others but rather what he'll just get a kick out of doing.

Now that the extended cut has been released, anyone change their minds?

I still enjoyed it overall and the pacing is SOOOOO much better. The Martha part still bugs the shit out of me though.

I had the opportunity to watch this recently and it didn't hold my attention. It felt very different from traditional comic book movies and at first I didn't even realize what I was watching. About halfway through I just gave up trying to watch it. Not surprised this one bombed.

I had the opportunity to watch this recently and it didn't hold my attention. It felt very different from traditional comic book movies and at first I didn't even realize what I was watching. About halfway through I just gave up trying to watch it. Not surprised this one bombed.
There's definitely a big shift in tone that takes it from a bit of a thriller to straight up blockbuster fest right at about the half way point. Personally, I feel like the first half is a lot tighter for the most part, but still a bit of a snore fest. I think part of the "slog" is the added bits to flesh out more of the Clark side of the story. They should've really taken out the knightmare and time travel bits or only left one of them in the cut.

I liked the theatrical version, but after seeing the extended cut I can't help but wonder what they were thinking with some of the stuff they took out. A lot of things make way more sense now and it just overall works a lot better in my opinion.

I can understand why they didn't want to release a 3 hour R rated Superman/Batman movie in theaters, but I don't think the right cuts were make to make it shorter.

I liked the theatrical version, but after seeing the extended cut I can't help but wonder what they were thinking with some of the stuff they took out. A lot of things make way more sense now and it just overall works a lot better in my opinion.

I can understand why they didn't want to release a 3 hour R rated Superman/Batman movie in theaters, but I don't think the right cuts were make to make it shorter.
Yeah, the cuts seemed like it was more of a FU to the studio execs that wanted a shorter film that highlighted Batfleck, so Snyder "purposely" wrecked the movie.

bread's done
Back