Battlefield 3 - FREE for PS+ Members starting July 2nd!

[quote name='keck17']just got my beta email

edit email tells me it on the psn store under battlefield 3 i dont see a beta[/QUOTE]

Same here...got the email but I don't see anything in the PSN store.

Since it's Tuesday, won't they be updating the store between 8 and 10pm?

I also saw DICE screwing this up, somebody from the MoH forums stated the beta is still actually a beta, which has me worrying.

[quote name='Mad39er']Since it's Tuesday, won't they be updating the store between 8 and 10pm?

I also saw DICE screwing this up, somebody from the MoH forums stated the beta is still actually a beta, which has me worrying.[/QUOTE]

Waiting like everyone else... I too have moh LE

[quote name='WV Matsui']From the store??[/QUOTE]
Yes. Just go to the store, click on View All By Title, then the letter B, then Battlefield 3 (obviously), and it should be the first thing to select.

[quote name='Nesmaster75']Now I see it in the New Releases section if that helps anyone (hopefully).[/QUOTE]
Found it, it's number 23 of 118 listed things in there.

YEAHHHHH!

Downloading the Battlefield 3 Beta now! I cant wait to play. I saw 1 person playing already in my friends list and was like WTF...so I checked my email and I had a key there waiting for me. Got it downloading on my X360 now!

I have been waiting for this for months, especially since the PC beta came out and I dont have a good enough PC. :whistle2:(

I cant wait to get some quality time with the new Frostbite engine. :D

[quote name='frakingcylon615']I'm out luck right, still not showing up anywhere for me.[/QUOTE]

Go to the main screen of the PS Store. Select search at the top right and make sure the default option of ALL is showing. Type in "battlefield 3" and search ;)

PS3 Beta is 1173 MB. If you're having trouble installing it, do not let it download it background, just let it self install directly from the download screen. I have not been able to install the Beta from the bubble file because the data corrupted.

This seems oddly familiar to MoH for some reason...... Still needs a bit more polish. Got caught on some geometry and glitched through a level (needed to suicide to get out and also spawned on a dude who was stuck. Not very fun).

Feels like Bad company 2 and Moh had a baby and this is what turned up. Not saying it's a bad thing but needs the vehicles to really make it a BF game. Anyone find that guns for both sides level separately kinda annoying. Really weird when you get unlocks for one side's gun but can't equip the same attachment on the opposing side when sides switch.

Also does anyone have any luck getting squads going. Tried to get one with Mad but broke up the squad when entered a game. Is there a special button for squad join game?

Already a level 4 medic with defibrillator but really weird running into guys who are level 16 and up already..... (Hit me up if you want to squad up)

it seems like im the only one that hasnt played MoH. Plus, when I finally get to download the beta, I'm working 4 days straight.

Just a couple of warnings in no particular order.

The beta is very much a beta. It lags, it freezes for a few seconds, it needs a lot of polish.

The controls are much the same like BC2 but there is no way to view them so since I haven't played that in forever, it took me a while to figure out how to access my kit and my gadget.

Prone is now available and people are using it to camp like crazy, just laying down behind objects or around corners and waiting for people to come to them at or near M-Com stations.

No vehicles yet.

Squadding is terrible, 4 man squads yet again. Confusing way to get into a squad pre-match and was not able to get into a match with my buddy kagekiri.

See, I personally like 4-man squads. Our MW2 CAG nights usually resulted in a lot of people talking over each other, a lot of yelling, a lot of miscommunication...with 4 people, shouldn't be a problem. CAG Squad battles should be fun, and we can always split them up during the night.

[quote name='SynGamer']See, I personally like 4-man squads. Our MW2 CAG nights usually resulted in a lot of people talking over each other, a lot of yelling, a lot of miscommunication...with 4 people, shouldn't be a problem. CAG Squad battles should be fun, and we can always split them up during the night.[/QUOTE]
I don't necessarily mean the number this time around. Trying to make a squad work was painful. I did end up with a decent squad of randoms and we did well. I'm digging the Assault/Medic class because it shows you where teammates are down so you can just run over, zap them with the paddles and not even stop running.

Mind you I'm only reporting the glitches/bugs.

There is a movement bug that if you're sprinting and get interrupted, you have to stop completely and resprint again in order to sprint again, you can't just hit L3 again.

The knifing animations are THE MOST OBNOXIOUS THING EVAR. Once the novelty of knifing the first 10 people or so, the knifing is way worse than anything else. It's like 10 seconds of animated action that you can't stop, nor do anything else. Melee requires you be pretty much dead on with the person to knife them and it gives a rather gratuitous knife kill that is more annoying because you can't just knife a dude and blast his friends, you have to suffer waiting through it.

The mobile spawnpoint that the recon class has is extremely useful for defense. If your whole squad dies, just spawn to the mobile spawn site and go. No complaints about that. Sniping however took a weird turn. It's easier to control the rifle sway WITHOUT hitting L3 to hold your breath because when you L3, the rifle shakes side to side horizontally for some reason.

Yeah, the knifing is far worse than BC2, and that's saying something. I prefer the stab and done over all the dramatics of grabbing them. This reminds me of the insta-kill moves in AvP, which basically made you totally vulnerable for far too long. Really discourages getting the knife kill because just shooting them dead in a split-second insures you against being shot in the back with no chance to fight back.

Discouraging knife usage is a good thing. The knife should be a last ditch effort to kill someone after you're out of ammo. It shouldn't be a go-to close quarters weapon.

[quote name='Mad39er']
The knifing animations are THE MOST OBNOXIOUS THING EVAR. Once the novelty of knifing the first 10 people or so, the knifing is way worse than anything else. It's like 10 seconds of animated action that you can't stop, nor do anything else. Melee requires you be pretty much dead on with the person to knife them and it gives a rather gratuitous knife kill that is more annoying because you can't just knife a dude and blast his friends, you have to suffer waiting through it.
[/QUOTE]

Have you played kz3? There were at least 4 different melee animations for kills. Each one took insanely long with its emphasis on glory violence. Great animations but you're left completely vulnerable.

[quote name='Trakan']Discouraging knife usage is a good thing. The knife should be a last ditch effort to kill someone after you're out of ammo. It shouldn't be a go-to close quarters weapon.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, because getting the drop on a squad from behind shouldn't be rewarding? As recon, I'd constantly be behind enemy lines in BC2. Taking out a full squad silently through knifing should be considered smart, not a risk.

I think it is cool, and it makes pulling off the kills more enjoyable. Instead of some guy running around like Rambo with the knife in his teeth, you got to be careful where you pull this off.

With the customizable dog tags, stealing an elite player's will be more satisfying.

Also I think it depends on where you attack them from. I can't test it myself, but if you attack from behind it is quicker then from the side or front possibly.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, because getting the drop on a squad from behind shouldn't be rewarding? As recon, I'd constantly be behind enemy lines in BC2. Taking out a full squad silently through knifing should be considered smart, not a risk.[/QUOTE]

Taking out multiple people shouldn't be easy and should be a risk.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Also I think it depends on where you attack them from. I can't test it myself, but if you attack from behind it is quicker then from the side or front possibly.[/QUOTE]

this is true. a knife swipe face to face wont kill them in 1 hit. only a knife from behind (throat slit) will auto kill

[quote name='8bitArtist']this is true. a knife swipe face to face wont kill them in 1 hit. only a knife from behind (throat slit) will auto kill[/QUOTE]

This^ Just waiting for the beta to go live for me.

I know that PSN is only updated on Tuesdays, but perhaps it will be updated specially for the beta (which will get a ton of downloads). Maybe you can find out for sure on the Battlefield forums. I'm sure other people are asking about it.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I know that PSN is only updated on Tuesdays, but perhaps it will be updated specially for the beta (which will get a ton of downloads). Maybe you can find out for sure on the Battlefield forums. I'm sure other people are asking about it.[/QUOTE]

The beta will probably get a midnight release today just like the Rezurrection Map pack did last week. The store updates on Wednesday @ midnight sometimes for things like this and the CoD DLC's.

[quote name='harleymandvdson']The beta will probably get a midnight release today just like the Rezurrection Map pack did last week. The store updates on Wednesday @ midnight sometimes for things like this and the CoD DLC's.[/QUOTE]

From what I'm reading everyone is saying the beta will drop at 7:00 AM EST time in the morning (so on the 29th).

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']From what I'm reading everyone is saying the beta will drop at 7:00 AM EST time in the morning (so on the 29th).[/QUOTE]

Looks like I won't be getting it until I get home then. I'm really looking forward to this game, the beta will help me decide if i'll get it over MW3.

[quote name='Steadymobbin']i just read 6am pst on bf3 forums[/QUOTE]

:lol: I read 4 AM PST, so who knows when its coming out. Best thing to do is just go to bed, wake up in the morning and download it. I doubt most people will be staying up until the dead middle of the night to download the beta.

If you have a EU account then you can download the beta now. (and play on your US account btw)

It runs fairly smoothly but you can tell that it's an older build.(hitching, screen tearing, falling through geometry and so forth) Not the best map choice for a first impression and the lack of vehicles is lame as that's what I come to this series for.

Oh and lots of campers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Narcisstalker']If you have a EU account then you can download the beta now. (and play on your US account btw)

It runs fairly smoothly but you can tell that it's an older build.(hitching, screen tearing, falling through geometry and so forth) Not the best map choice for a first impression and the lack of vehicles is lame as that's what I come to this series for.

Oh and lots of campers.[/QUOTE]

Define campers. Because I like to lay back with my rifle, team-spot and pick people off.

To me, campers are people we post up near spawn points and shoot spawning enemies like fish in a barrel. If that is what they were doing then that aint good.

But if they were hanging back and waiting for you to try and make a move then you can't really fault them for that.

Played the game for a bit, have to say my low expectations were met with even lower impressions. Screen tearing, seeing below the map while on the ground, my screen being 100% blue when spawning, etc. Glitches GALORE.

Now, that is not the worst part. The game does nothing but encourage camping. Its designed for a douchebag to sit in the bushes with a sniper and then mow people down who just ran across the map for 1-1.5 minutes, and then not even see the guy who killed him. It has to be one of the worst online experiences ive ever had in my gaming career, and ive played KOF12 online.

End result is that this game is definitely not for me. Running 1-1.5 minutes to even FIND someone to shoot, then the campers and spawn campers everywhere in the bushes, and the major glitches and bugs in the game. Not to mention the online code to play it online. It is 100% pure disaster IMO. The slim chance i was going to purchase this is now non-existent, and im a pretty casual gamer. If they cant get me, they have 0 chance of getting the Calladoody crowd to switch over to this, MW3 is going to steam roll it and rightfully so, this game is no fun unless you play like a trash can.

Some of the small things were really nice tho, i thought the lighting was pretty good, graphically its great, and i had my shotgun out and aiming down the sites going through some tunnels and you could hear yourself heavy breathing in a nervous fashion. It was really well done. Single player should be awesome.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Define campers. Because I like to lay back with my rifle, team-spot and pick people off.

To me, campers are people we post up near spawn points and shoot spawning enemies like fish in a barrel. If that is what they were doing then that aint good.

But if they were hanging back and waiting for you to try and make a move then you can't really fault them for that.[/QUOTE]

You're a douchebag.

[quote name='whoknows']Why? What he said is exactly right.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I agree 100%! One is called being a sniper the other is camping....

Not bad. Rough around the edges obviously but the core gameplay is fun. Respawn time is minimal, about 10-15 seconds from dying, which is nice. I have to get to work so I was only able to play for about 20 minutes but I'm liking it so far.

[quote name='whoknows']Why? What he said is exactly right.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='WV Matsui']Exactly! I agree 100%! One is called being a sniper the other is camping....[/QUOTE]

If your playstyle is hide in some bushes and sniping people, then you're a camper. There is nothing else to it. Thats basically the lowest form of douchery in online gaming, imo of course. You can call it skill to sit on your stomach in the bushes hiding, waiting for someone to pass by and shoot them far away, but i call it being trash.

[quote name='blitz6speed']If your playstyle is hide in some bushes and sniping people, then you're a camper. There is nothing else to it. Thats basically the lowest form of douchery in online gaming, imo of course. You can call it skill to sit on your stomach in the bushes hiding, waiting for someone to pass by and shoot them far away, but i call it being trash.[/QUOTE]

So is there a difference between being a sniper and being a camper to you? Because from the sounds of it, it's the same thing to you.

Anyways, can't say the demo sold me. Kind of for the same reasons for the campers. I don't have a problem with the ones that snipe around the stations to make sure theirs doesn't get taken, but like in Bad Company 2, it was the spawn campers that were really ruining it. Which is my biggest problem with rush mode since a team can get demolished because they always spawn in the same places. I like the general idea of rush mode but it's the spawn campers that turn me off of that mode completely.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Played the game for a bit, have to say my low expectations were met with even lower impressions. Screen tearing, seeing below the map while on the ground, my screen being 100% blue when spawning, etc. Glitches GALORE.

Now, that is not the worst part. The game does nothing but encourage camping. Its designed for a douchebag to sit in the bushes with a sniper and then mow people down who just ran across the map for 1-1.5 minutes, and then not even see the guy who killed him. It has to be one of the worst online experiences ive ever had in my gaming career, and ive played KOF12 online..[/QUOTE]

i suggest that you give it another shot once the game comes out. as many many people have said it, operation metro map is a really bad choice to highlight bf3. the other maps are much larger in scope and variety. vehicles (tanks and jets and helis), destructible environments, and large maps will counter your "camping" problem. i read that dice is only looking at balancing issues with the metro beta; hence, metro strips out everything else that we were drooling over in the trailers. And this beta we are playing is a June/July build.

as ad Mad mentioned, you need someone on your squad with recon mobile spawn point.

metro is fought over inches not miles.

bread's done
Back