Battlefield 3 - FREE for PS+ Members starting July 2nd!

[quote name='NamPaehc']Define campers.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, should've clarified that as spawn campers.(and corner campers but that's more of a personal dislike)

I'm really trying to get into it but it's just not for me. To be fair though, the modern FPS variants all but lost me in regards to multiplayer when the shift went away from rocket-jumping deathmatches and towards capture-point team play.

Guess I'll take my old-ass back to Q3A/UT/Serious Sam;)

[quote name='Trakan']Taking out multiple people shouldn't be easy and should be a risk.[/QUOTE]
If they're too stupid to check their six, then they deserve it. Regardless, the animation is too long and whereas before I could get multiple kills before they might notice me, the squad will likely move too far away by the time I kill just one. I can see how you think it's cheap, but getting that far behind enemy lines is risky and chasing people down in their own base for a knife kill is an extreme risk. Anyway, I hate the idea of getting noobed because I can't even protect myself while knifing, regardless the situation.

I have to side with Trakan. I hated getting knifed in MW2 and then seeing the same person go on to knife 2-3 more teammates within a few seconds. Realistically, It's going to take at least 2-3 seconds to plunge the knife into someones neck to ensure it's a definite kill. None of this .5-1 second slash while running...

BF3 is obviously slower than MW2, but not by much, and I'm liking the slightly slower pace. Looking forward to trying out sniping, I really enjoyed that in BC2, something I couldn't stand in MW2 (but could still do).

But that is all besides the point. I really can't wait to turn on my soundbar and get some better sound pumping through the speaks while playing. Couldn't do that this morning at 7:30 am ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blitz6speed']If your playstyle is hide in some bushes and sniping people, then you're a camper. There is nothing else to it. Thats basically the lowest form of douchery in online gaming, imo of course. You can call it skill to sit on your stomach in the bushes hiding, waiting for someone to pass by and shoot them far away, but i call it being trash.[/QUOTE]

So doing something that soldiers actually do in real combat is douchery ?

What do you want people who are the sniper class to do? Run around and try to gun with all the automatic weapons?

Now I am against a huge amount of snipers but there isn't anything you can do about that unless the server puts a limit on classes per team. Which then sucks for some people who actually play sniper correctly then the off chance they die and while waiting to respawn someone else picks the sniper class and they are screwed.

Has the Open Beta started yet because I tried downloading it and it said that the content cant be accessed by my account

[quote name='JG5253']Has the Open Beta started yet because I tried downloading it and it said that the content cant be accessed by my account[/QUOTE]

Same here. I tried going to Playstation Store 5 mins ago and now it tells me that they're undergoing maintenance.

I've played the beta for a few hours now and being completely new to Battlefield I thought it was okay. Too many snipers, too many douches laying in a corner, and terrible squads. It is also annoying I had to figure out all the controls by trail and error. The matchmaking is horrible, I am a level 6 and I was the highest level on my team while the lowest on the other team was a 6. Needless to say my team got crushed. The game is very aggravating when on a bad team but pretty fun on a good team. I couldn't get in any matches with friends but I would imagine that would make the game much better. The PC was even worse, total douche fest, so if I get this game it will be for PS3.

There's probably so many snipers because people are trying to get a feel for the map and sniping is the best way to do that. Lol at people complaining about sniping, its only annoying in resistance 2 when a whole team does it and throw grenades that kill people who are 50 yards away from them. The most annoying people are the ones who get 70% of there kills from rocket and grenade launchers, and the people that fly around going hundreds of miles and hour picking people off from the sky while lagging.
The new call of duty isn't going to be close in fun factor. Mw2 is the worst game i have ever played online and i feel embarassed that i own it.

[quote name='WV Matsui']PSN is down for main. From 11 am to 2 pm PST

Demo will be up when it comes back online[/QUOTE]

As mentioned earlier, it was on the Euro PSN early, early this morning. That's how I grabbed it. Was playing on my US PSN account after I downloaded and installed.

[quote name='FromChaos']Don't waste your time![/QUOTE]

very constructive advice.

-------------

i got in 2 games this morning with syn's advice on euro. im surprised at fast planting and disarming takes. from watching a few videos since the beta started, i managed to stay clear of dark long hallways. lol. The animations on the gadgets seem significantly longer than bc2, eg: throwing out a med pack. I'm still trying to get used to the more prevalent recoil.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Define campers. Because I like to lay back with my rifle, team-spot and pick people off.

To me, campers are people we post up near spawn points and shoot spawning enemies like fish in a barrel. If that is what they were doing then that aint good.

But if they were hanging back and waiting for you to try and make a move then you can't really fault them for that.[/QUOTE]
What I don't get is where the disconnect from camping as defined in the CoD series is somehow distorted into 'sniping' in the BF scene of logic. A camp is a camp. My sniping playstyle is a mix of camp and flank. Spawn camping is a viable tactic when killfarming or being a d-bag intentionally because of trash talk between teams/squads/whathaveyou.

There are a shit ton of campers in the BF3 beta with literally an extremely low killscore because they're hiding in the back of the map, trying to snipe. Just because you camp with a sniper rifle does not make you a sniper, it makes you a camper. It's no different from the guys who hide around corners and behind boxes waiting for people to stroll by and infact there is more actual camping going on in this Beta compared to pretty much the same amount of matches I played in BC2 and Prone is the reason for that.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Played the game for a bit, have to say my low expectations were met with even lower impressions. Screen tearing, seeing below the map while on the ground, my screen being 100% blue when spawning, etc. Glitches GALORE.

Now, that is not the worst part. The game does nothing but encourage camping. Its designed for a douchebag to sit in the bushes with a sniper and then mow people down who just ran across the map for 1-1.5 minutes, and then not even see the guy who killed him. It has to be one of the worst online experiences ive ever had in my gaming career, and ive played KOF12 online.

End result is that this game is definitely not for me. Running 1-1.5 minutes to even FIND someone to shoot, then the campers and spawn campers everywhere in the bushes, and the major glitches and bugs in the game. Not to mention the online code to play it online. It is 100% pure disaster IMO. The slim chance i was going to purchase this is now non-existent, and im a pretty casual gamer. If they cant get me, they have 0 chance of getting the Calladoody crowd to switch over to this, MW3 is going to steam roll it and rightfully so, this game is no fun unless you play like a trash can.

Some of the small things were really nice tho, i thought the lighting was pretty good, graphically its great, and i had my shotgun out and aiming down the sites going through some tunnels and you could hear yourself heavy breathing in a nervous fashion. It was really well done. Single player should be awesome..[/QUOTE]

While I shared initially much of those sentiments, I allowed myself to give the game another shot, went from L4 to L6 in one match and over the course of several hours, I went from L6 to L20 in less than a day. A large part of it is indeed shaking off the rust and the other part is dodging snipers and knowing how to advance. The Recon mobile spawn however helps a crap ton because you can literally open a spawn point anywhere below their spawning area, very helpful on the Defender side for flanking and preventing the Attackers from advancing and great for spawning on the M-Coms because they're so far away from the spawn.

A single squad leader who actually designates M-Coms to attack or defend will let the bonus exp flow in and that will make it more fun overall since you don't even need to talk, just designate which M-Com to defend or attack and that's it, bonus exp.

[quote name='SynGamer']Not bad. Rough around the edges obviously but the core gameplay is fun. Respawn time is minimal, about 10-15 seconds from dying, which is nice. I have to get to work so I was only able to play for about 20 minutes but I'm liking it so far.[/QUOTE]

Things that pissed me off after getting comfortable with it are as follows.

1. Spawning on your squad may get you killed because there's no real warning and you waste extra time watching them to make sure you're safe.
  2. Getting stuck on textures randomly while sprinting only to be killed because you couldn't clear that area because of that glitch.
  3. Slower reloads on the Engineer class vs Assault class.
  4. People sniping with Assault Rifles... again.
  5. No mute button, at all.
  6. Explosive damage is better but it's still random if it wants to blow up something or not that you know is destructable.
  7. If there is a reload indicator, I keep missing it. The HUD colors are very poor for recognizing ammo count in the periphery and forget to reload. This leads to the problem of chronic reloading or running dry.
[quote name='4thHorseman']Anyways, can't say the demo sold me. Kind of for the same reasons for the campers. I don't have a problem with the ones that snipe around the stations to make sure theirs doesn't get taken, but like in Bad Company 2, it was the spawn campers that were really ruining it. Which is my biggest problem with rush mode since a team can get demolished because they always spawn in the same places. I like the general idea of rush mode but it's the spawn campers that turn me off of that mode completely.[/QUOTE]
Spawn camping is greatly helped by expanded red zones and the mobile spawn point. This alone makes the game extremely more playable than BC2 for me. I hated having to run constantly because of that game.

[quote name='enufs8d']i suggest that you give it another shot once the game comes out. as many many people have said it, operation metro map is a really bad choice to highlight bf3. the other maps are much larger in scope and variety. vehicles (tanks and jets and helis), destructible environments, and large maps will counter your "camping" problem. i read that dice is only looking at balancing issues with the metro beta; hence, metro strips out everything else that we were drooling over in the trailers. And this beta we are playing is a June/July build.

metro is fought over inches not miles.[/QUOTE]
Two things, I for one think that we should not be playing a build from June/July at this stage of the game and it's development. This should be a Halo-style Beta in that it's a glorified demo.

The other that Metro is about momentum, if you steamroll the M-Coms, there's little time to dig in and defend. The Defenders job isn't to camp but to aggressively make it extremely painful to take the second and third sets of M-Com stations because the final M-Coms are tough to defend from a Defending spawn point. The Attacking side benefits the most from aggressively knowing how to get around and behind Defenders because it's hard for the Defending side to recover and dig in when they're spawning half way from their M-Com stations. The sliding scale of spawning favors the Attackers the farther in you go.

[quote name='SynGamer']I have to side with Trakan. I hated getting knifed in MW2 and then seeing the same person go on to knife 2-3 more teammates within a few seconds. Realistically, It's going to take at least 2-3 seconds to plunge the knife into someones neck to ensure it's a definite kill. None of this .5-1 second slash while running...

BF3 is obviously slower than MW2, but not by much, and I'm liking the slightly slower pace. Looking forward to trying out sniping, I really enjoyed that in BC2, something I couldn't stand in MW2 (but could still do).

But that is all besides the point. I really can't wait to turn on my soundbar and get some better sound pumping through the speaks while playing. Couldn't do that this morning at 7:30 am ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you guys think about knifing but a knife to the heart kills instantly. A knife to the arteries(thigh) pretty much disables the person and damn near guarantees death. To do either one of those, you do not need to grab a dude, hug him, turn him around and stab him in the chest. The fact that getting knifed adds that animation to the victim's pov is kinda dumb. Okay, I got knifed, lets not replay the knife scene from Saving Private Ryan.

The beta is nice and all, but people camp WAAAAAAAAAAAAYY too much in this. If this is how the main game is, I doubt I'll play it for too long.

Played some more after work. Really liking it. I've noticed my left stick seems to be in the always *slightly* forward position so I need a new one. But that mini-tangent aside, I had fun. I was able to take my time, work up the side of the maps and snipe a few. I started out 6/1 before we got into tight spaces and I needed to change classes. Spawning on squadmates is excellent. More games need this. It saves a shit load of time.

So far the guns sound and feel good, weighty. The sniper rifle I was using needed to account for distance and bullet drop, which is nice. I was able to pick people off from about 30-40 yards away while moving with a pistol, not so happy about that, but at the same time it's good to see I can at least do that :p

Honestly, I think what I like most is the slightly slower pace compared to MW2. Respawn time is quite reasonable, and after dying 5-6 times I didn't find myself yelling at the game to respawn faster. I'd select a new class if necessary, otherwise I was checking out my squadmates' positions to see where I want to respawn. Going to play some more tonight, but if they can clean up these geo/texture/clipping issues, and hopefully a bit more polish, this is still my most anticipated game of the fall.

*Note: I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed that this build is fairly old, so this makes me hopeful for it's Oct. 25th release :)

I agree with everybody here, CAMPERS off the ass, i understand its only one map but come on people, the point of beta is to find glitches and be familar with the game play. This is NOT COD.

[quote name='frakingcylon615']I agree with everybody here, CAMPERS off the ass, i understand its only one map but come on people, the point of beta is to find glitches and be familar with the game play. This is NOT COD.[/QUOTE]

COD hahaha definately. Thats the main reason i liked bad company 2 so much over black ops.

so is there something up with the sprint? sometimes i wont let me. like, i have to crouch and stand up quick again before it lets me sprint again.

lag is bad. im seeing a few hit markers on a guy then he kills me and still has 100% health.

i like that knifing from the front is useless now. i also like that i have the option to get revived to respawn.

As reported earlier, you have to stop completely (no need to crouch), and then you can start running again. Likely a bug in the beta.

[quote name='8bitArtist']so is there something up with the sprint? sometimes i wont let me. like, i have to crouch and stand up quick again before it lets me sprint again.

lag is bad. im seeing a few hit markers on a guy then he kills me and still has 100% health.

i like that knifing from the front is useless now. i also like that i have the option to get revived to respawn.[/QUOTE]
As Syn posted, you have to stop completely for a second to sprint again. The other thing you'll run into is being unable to aim. Switch weapons via triangle or double tap left/right on the d-pad to access your kit equipment(defib paddles/medic box, engineer rocket/repair tool, recon mobile spawn point/tugs system). It's imperative that you remember that because you will get frustrated as the bugs happen randomly and sometimes more frequently than not.

I don't get the camping comments. I didn't see that at all. What I did see was to much running and gunning like COD... 12 yr olds with no idea of teamwork or strategy. I hate that you can go prone though as it does give a camper that ability. The bullet damage seems to be off. As in one shot from the same gun will kill (not a head shot) but you can unload a clip and nothing (same level guy and same loadout).

The RPG for me was unlimited ammo very strange.

The map for me was a very bad map not laid out very well.

After loving BC 1 and 2 this so far is a huge disappointment. Even the graphics are worse the BC 2. I do understand that with bigger maps and more that they will not ever be as beautiful as COD but still very sorry looking map and layout.

I think someone mentioned it but yea again the damage is off. How can a assault rifle kill from so far away and be used like a sniper rifle. And speaking of the sniper rifle is is whimpier then the assault rifle and had a huge clip.

oh well off to try again...on pc this time. I played on the ps3

Just give it a good hour...

First impressions...
-Wow, I suck^^
-Dammit gotta b***h about spotting again
-Harder to notice enemies than bfbc2 (they blend better with background)
-Hit detection seems off
-None of kills seems 'satisfying,' it must be the sound or something but any kills I get seem less rewarding than bfbc2

Still need to play couple of more hours before I could say if like it or not

[quote name='dejeckt']Just give it a good hour...

First impressions...
-Wow, I suck^^
[/QUOTE]

LOL My impression too (not you but my self assessment)

I'm loving it. And as far as CAMPING goes, I feel that sometimes it's a necessity in this gameplay.

It's not the same as a player on CoD who camps and takes people out just for the fun of it. This is objective based. As long as you're keeping your objectives from being taken, you're good.

I was actually camping when we were attacking just so we wouldn't lose our respawn point. If EVERYBODY dies, then you give the other team the advantage. This is a beautiful system! It's my first Battlefield and I can't wait to get it come October!

Is chat working for anyone? I'm able to chat with my friends before we're in a game (just in a squad), but once we all get into a game, there's no chat.

LOL there are so many bugs/glitches...
-For an entire round an enemy was laying down on his back with his feet in the front the whole time and able to shoot normally. I don't even think he died once.
-I've fallen through the map numerous times! Most of it was just like 10 ft below the surface and I could still shoot the enemy but I couldn't get out and had to suicide.
-I've spawned on teammates who were hiding inside of rocks and there was no way to get out but suicide.
-Love spawning on/infront of a teammate while he's prone so I can't move at all but at least I'm a meat shield.

After playing the ps3 beta for about 15 minutes, I've decided to get this for the PC :) just doesn't feel like true BF using the controller. Not impressed with the ps3 visual fidelity as well. As many others have mentioned, I spent most of my time trying to find an enemy to engage, only to get sniped by someone I never saw. Not fun!

This game is way to epic. I've had BC2 on the PS3 for nearly a year and I think this is a definite upgrade. I love everything about it, of course there are going to be glitches it's only a beta. I honestly don't know why anyone is complaining about camping that is how actual warfare is and for a game shooting for reality it does a great job at it.

It is kind of unusual to have this many glitches at this stage (19 days till release). I don't remember bfbc2 beta having this many glitches. Although, Dice is very good at supporting their game.

I really dislike the layout of the initial part of the map (park). I think it should either been bigger or smaller.

[quote name='alangee']I'm loving it. And as far as CAMPING goes, I feel that sometimes it's a necessity in this gameplay.

It's not the same as a player on CoD who camps and takes people out just for the fun of it. This is objective based. As long as you're keeping your objectives from being taken, you're good.

I was actually camping when we were attacking just so we wouldn't lose our respawn point. If EVERYBODY dies, then you give the other team the advantage. This is a beautiful system! It's my first Battlefield and I can't wait to get it come October![/QUOTE]How is it not the same shit in a different game? I have fun taking people out for the fun of it with a good camp but I hold down a whole area, not just a doorway or a hallway. Holding your ground so a squad can respawn on you is just good tactics, it's not lying prone in a hallway with your bipod MG as you wait for people to come to the M-Com. Don't confuse defending with outright camping because defending does happen. When everybody is hiding prone in a bush, sniping at you or with their bipod MGs, that's camping.

I actually have praise for good snipers who can do it at long ranges. This beta doesn't really give the same opportunities as the same Rush map we got to beta in BC2. Really all you have are guys who either hide behind sandbags or take the optics off and run and gun with their rifles.

Maybe I missed it, but while I could tell where the gunfire was coming from, I couldn't hear footsteps.

I agree with most - it's a campfest. Also, flashlight in the eyes = shoot first, ask later.

my definition of camping is just on death match stuff mostly. objective games, of course theyre going to be by the objective, its their job to defend it. if they are camping near your spawn point and no where near the objective, then id consider it camping.

[quote name='jmbreci']Maybe I missed it, but while I could tell where the gunfire was coming from, I couldn't hear footsteps.

I agree with most - it's a campfest. Also, flashlight in the eyes = shoot first, ask later.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is a little tough to figure out. Did you set the sound to stero in settings?

I agree about the footsteps. I used to laugh at how heavy the boots sounded in BFBC2. Way to quiet now though.

Wait until you guys play Caspian Border. It really is fantastic. Nice and spacious. I'm sure someone will complain it is to wide open.

The snipers radio's (mobile spawn point) lets you start where it is dropped, but instead of popping out of the ground you parachute in.

Some good BF players tonight. It really made it more enjoyable. This game is all about teamwork and if you have a good field of players that understand that then game (beta) is pretty damn cool.
Sure I would run into the corner camper half a mile away from his team here and there but not to bad tonight.

I agree about the footsteps..there is like none at all. One thing still bothering me is the one shot to the chest and I am dead from a weak gun. That or the sound is off and damage indicator and I was shot a few times before what seemed like that "one" chest kill shot, either way it is messed up.

What the f is up with that flashlight? That is pretty dumb. But it's kinda cool too because dummies be running around with it in the open daylight giving away their position. Same thing with the laser it really gives away positions.

So my impressions are a little better but I still don't like the map but I am sure there will be ones that are better.

I forgot to add that the med packs are pretty much useless. One nobody drops them which is strange but hey new BF players I guess..two, people die so fast and that it wouldn't matter. In BC2 the meds worked well as the damage didn't seem as lethal and as fast.
I will have to pay closer attention to damage but there is no way to tell how bad off you are and if I remember right you self heal pretty quick if you don't die almost instantly ie a graze while diving into cover.

[quote name='JungleRot']I forgot to add that the med packs are pretty much useless. One nobody drops them which is strange but hey new BF players I guess..two, people die so fast and that it wouldn't matter. In BC2 the meds worked well as the damage didn't seem as lethal and as fast.
I will have to pay closer attention to damage but there is no way to tell how bad off you are and if I remember right you self heal pretty quick if you don't die almost instantly ie a graze while diving into cover.[/QUOTE]

On the pc I know there is a % number with your health in the lower right.

Look for something that looks like a heart monitor.

I was really Excited to play this tonight but I was lagging so bad there was no point. My nternet has just been slow today, as resistance 3 was bad too.

I get the feeling we're just playing a pre-packed console-ready build that was shelved a while ago and just uploaded now, instead of an ACTUAL indication of what's coming out in a month. Because if this is what's being printed to disc....MASSIVE /facepalm.

That said, I'm digging the new "punchier" gun SFX, but I think there are simply missing sound effects. Can't really hear foot steps, lots of the "echoing" and "zipping" from shots seems to be absent (from BC2). The level design is great thusfar, but the "best" part IMO is the last point in the city proper, but I never get to play around in it for more than 2 minutes it seems. This was on my short-short-short list of games I wanted to pre-order, but after playing the beta, I'm glad I held off.

If I sounded overtly negative...well....this game needs some work, clearly. (How about that sinking while prone, eh fellas?). Anyways, I have a laundry list of "needs to be fixed" items, but I'm having fun so far.

“it’s a couple of weeks behind. So, there might be problems in that that we’ve already fixed [since then].” - Karl-Magnus Troedsson (GM of DICE)

Considering the beta still needs to go through submission with MS and Sony for bare-minimum QA, we're looking at a build at least 1 month old from the date it was released (Sept. 27th). I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 6 weeks old...which is good for those of us buying the game. In the interview they go on to say that there have already been fixes made to the game since the beta code was submitted.

[quote name='JungleRot']I forgot to add that the med packs are pretty much useless. One nobody drops them which is strange but hey new BF players I guess..two, people die so fast and that it wouldn't matter. In BC2 the meds worked well as the damage didn't seem as lethal and as fast.
I will have to pay closer attention to damage but there is no way to tell how bad off you are and if I remember right you self heal pretty quick if you don't die almost instantly ie a graze while diving into cover.[/QUOTE]
Med packs have their purpose on both sides but it is fairly accurate to say if you're playing with nubs, nobody drops them. If you're a skirmishing type attacker or an aggressively forward defender they're both great since you'll need to recover quickly and being able to revive your squad means droppnig a med pack might keep you alive a hair longer when the shooting is temporarily over and your squaddie is down.

Two ways to tell health for me are checking how much "tunnel vision" you have and actually looking at the number. Since the "tunnel vision" is part of the Suppression system it's only about half of the story about your health. I've fully recovered after being shot enough to scare me, have extreme tunnel vision and recovered fully with 61% with full vision. So health does restore slowly.

I'm the opposite. I love being the medic and dropping those packs. For me, it's the easiest way to get points since my kill/death ratio is horrendous in Battlefield games.

The bottom left I believe has a green bar with a number over it. I want to say that is the health. Unfortunately, I never get a good look at it, because I seem to die faster in this game than Bad Company 2.

I think I read somewhere, maybe here, that the beta was submitted sometime in July.

Anyway, not to worry about bugs in the final product. I mean every game has bugs. Especially online titles. It is just that I think a lot of the glaring ones will be addressed prior to launch. And in this day and age, we'll see plenty of patches if need be.

The folks saying "it should be a demo/almost complete version" should realize that times have changed. Now days, code and be updated so quickly. I think the devs just haven't been communicating very well with just what the priority of the beta is (my guess is stress testing servers). A lot of times it seems that PR tries to blur the lines between demo and testing. So that might cloud things.

[quote name='8bitArtist']my definition of camping is just on death match stuff mostly. objective games, of course theyre going to be by the objective, its their job to defend it. if they are camping near your spawn point and no where near the objective, then id consider it camping.[/QUOTE]That's what I try to do. I've ran into campers, but I don't really get too bother by it. What's the point? There're always going be around in public games.

Server wise, the PS3 version is better than the 360 version so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
everybody now is hard wired into caring more about their kill/death ratio in matches over anything else, no matter the game mode, thanks to cod. its nice they put in laser flashes and lens flares so you can tell whose camping prone n what not, but alot of people (casual, on the fence between shooters, new to dice fps, etc) are gonna think this is how the game is going to be and be turned off by it.
overall the beta was probably a bad idea because of that. and since also nowadays "betas" are just a chance you get to play the game you reserved money for early for about a week or two, with no real or major changes in retail release

I agree with others that the flashlights and lens flares are a great touch. I was sniping in the garden portion of the map and kept noticing this 'flash' of sort off to my left. Sure enough when I scoped in it was some guy laying down sniping. Picked him off from behind a tree, along with his teammate ;)

Can't wait for the 25th :D

bread's done
Back