Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked 2 years $60 (50% discount)

Trustn01

CAGiversary!
I've been waiting for this deal to come back around.  Best Buy will be running a half-off their Gamers Club Unlocked membership from 5/25 - 5/31.  It's normally $119.99 and will be on sale for $60.  They run this promo every once in a while and it makes the membership worthwhile.

Assuming Best Buy is still around for 2 years, here's what you'll get:

Gamers Club Unlocked Benefits:
Get 20% off new video games for 2 full years
Get 2x base points on new video game software, digital content, and game accessories
Get 2 points for every dollar when you trade-in games
Get points on gaming consoles
Redeem Reward Certificates on nearly everything at Best Buy
10% bonus trade-in credit on your video game software trade-ins
10% off pre-owned games
Buy two, get the third free on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon
Save 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon

I'm still not sure what's going on with their magazine but I assume if it's still being posted digitally, it would probably be included also.

I have received points for purchases paid completely in GC's. If I need to pay tax or something with cash, I only get points on the cash part of the transaction.
I have never received points for gift card purchases and I buy weekly from there with gift cards and either have my friends. And I just double checked by referencing my wolfenstein pre-order paid 100% gift card and no points on that order. also listed here https://my.bestbuy.com/rules

Receiving Points
You may receive points on products you purchase for your personal use at any of the Participating Properties. However, certain products are not eligible for receiving points. Bonus points will not be multiplied.

Non-Qualifying Purchases:purchases made prior to becoming a member, purchases/rentals at rent-to-own locations inside Best Buy stores, instant rebates, pre-orders at the time of deposit (the points will be awarded at the time of final payment or at the time you pick up the product), purchases made for resale, purchases paid with a reward certificate, purchases using any type of promotional financing, Best Buy gift card or Magnolia gift card, Miele appliances bought in AZ, CA, or NV, sales tax, service charges, certain Best Buy for Business or commercial purchases, other excluded charges, and certain items that are excluded in particular promotions. Best Buy entities such as Geek Squad® services purchased in store are awarded points; Geek Squad services purchased in home are not

Those are usually manager markdowns and are store specific. In theory they should accommodate the GCU discount but in my experience most games aren't even tagged correctly so the discount has to be entered as a price override which IIRC kicks of the GCU discount. A good/smart manager would also add in an additional 20% discount but of course YMMV.
when ever I had those manager specials at local best buys near me they have always adjusted the price down with the gcu discount taken off.

when ever I had those manager specials at local best buys near me they have always adjusted the price down with the gcu discount taken off.
I don't doubt it but like you said the price needed to be adjusted down for the GCU discount which means override which means willing manager or lead.

I have received points for purchases paid completely in GC's. If I need to pay tax or something with cash, I only get points on the cash part of the transaction.
You get bonus/promotional points like for preordering the selected games regardless of how you pay. Like dreamer said though, you never get the base points for purchases paid with gift cards. You DO get base base points for buying gift cards.

Sale's still going, apparently. I called my BB to ask and the lady at customer service said she'd honor the sale price if it wasn't still going on. I went to the store and the fellow who helped me said it's still going on for $60. No idea for how long, though the lady on the phone reminded me, "our sales go from Sunday through Saturday."

Get on it if you want it!

Sale's still going, apparently. I called my BB to ask and the lady at customer service said she'd honor the sale price if it wasn't still going on. I went to the store and the fellow who helped me said it's still going on for $60. No idea for how long, though the lady on the phone reminded me, "our sales go from Sunday through Saturday."

Get on it if you want it!
It was posted above that July 5th was the new end date via employee messages.

OK, so I waffled back and forth about doing this and today I did. I looked at it purely like this: was I going to spend $300, or near $300 on new games in the next two years? I thought I might. That's the net sum of zero for the membership right there. Doesn't matter if they are brand spanking day one or not, 20% of $300 is $60.

Then you factor in the certificates, and the pre-order bonuses. If you trade, the trade bonuses. I don't trade, so it doesn't matter much. I should come out well ahead of the upfront cost. Any certs I get I may put toward a TV, depending on expiration.

I bought it yesterday and I did not received my B2G1 coupon. I called customer service and they told me it MAY be emailed to me in 20 days. Is there anyone who can confirm this?? Thx.

I bought it yesterday and I did not received my B2G1 coupon. I called customer service and they told me it MAY be emailed to me in 20 days. Is there anyone who can confirm this?? Thx.
A number of people on here have said it should be emailed to you a few days after purchase

Don't call - post on the Best Buy "My Gamers Club" forum - you'll get a response quickly during working hours in my experience. They emailed me the coupons this morning after I posted yesterday. 

OK, so I waffled back and forth about doing this and today I did. I looked at it purely like this: was I going to spend $300, or near $300 on new games in the next two years? I thought I might. That's the net sum of zero for the membership right there. Doesn't matter if they are brand spanking day one or not, 20% of $300 is $60.

Then you factor in the certificates, and the pre-order bonuses. If you trade, the trade bonuses. I don't trade, so it doesn't matter much. I should come out well ahead of the upfront cost. Any certs I get I may put toward a TV, depending on expiration.
Another X-factor is that knowing you have the 20% is that you may spend more than normal.

A month+ long sale? They might as well just say this is the new regular price and call it a day.
I think it`s b/c of E3 if they can ride the 20% + $10 credit wave w/50% GCU then it`ll pay off Oct-Dec when it really matters. Then all those pts/certs will fuel spending thru 2015 & future releases. People tend to be creatures of habit so if you get used to spending 20% less everyday @ BB other retailer deals will look bleh. And by the time your sub ends you`re ready to renew no hesitation.
Who knows what the program will be in 2 yrs but chances are good with a larger install base additions will continue.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-Gaming-News/Join-Gamers-Club-Unlocked-for-Only-60/ba-p/811954

A number of people on here have said it should be emailed to you a few days after purchase
Yes true...but let's look at it from this angle...

Has anyone that signed up in the last week or so received any coupons in their email?

I followed the advice of posting in the Best Buy forums after not receiving my Welcome Email Packet.  I received a private message within 24 hours.  When he reviewed my account he said that I was set to opt-out of promotional emails from Best Buy (strange considering I was still receiving promo emails from them at that email address).  He said he fixed the issue and sent me the coupons via private message.  If you have not received the coupons by this point I highly recommend going about it this way.

I have a question about the coupons.  They appear to be in store only but my local store has a very slim selection of used games and nothing I want.  Anyone go about it by placing an order, and having it shipped to store and using the coupon at that time?   I am thinking about trying it but nothing ever runs smoothly at my local store and every time I do something out of the ordinary they have a tendency to call over management who act like they are straight out of the Gestapo (how I envy those of you near stores where the employees just don't care).   I just want to verify that someone has done this before attempting it. 

I followed the advice of posting in the Best Buy forums after not receiving my Welcome Email Packet. I received a private message within 24 hours. When he reviewed my account he said that I was set to opt-out of promotional emails from Best Buy (strange considering I was still receiving promo emails from them at that email address). He said he fixed the issue and sent me the coupons via private message. If you have not received the coupons by this point I highly recommend going about it this way.

I have a question about the coupons. They appear to be in store only but my local store has a very slim selection of used games and nothing I want. Anyone go about it by placing an order, and having it shipped to store and using the coupon at that time? I am thinking about trying it but nothing ever runs smoothly at my local store and every time I do something out of the ordinary they have a tendency to call over management who act like they are straight out of the Gestapo (how I envy those of you near stores where the employees just don't care). I just want to verify that someone has done this before attempting it.
Buy the games you want but do not connect your mybb info. Return them at CS & ask to rebuy using the coupons let them know if they were online use you wouldn`t need to bother.

I followed the advice of posting in the Best Buy forums after not receiving my Welcome Email Packet. I received a private message within 24 hours. When he reviewed my account he said that I was set to opt-out of promotional emails from Best Buy (strange considering I was still receiving promo emails from them at that email address). He said he fixed the issue and sent me the coupons via private message. If you have not received the coupons by this point I highly recommend going about it this way.

I have a question about the coupons. They appear to be in store only but my local store has a very slim selection of used games and nothing I want. Anyone go about it by placing an order, and having it shipped to store and using the coupon at that time? I am thinking about trying it but nothing ever runs smoothly at my local store and every time I do something out of the ordinary they have a tendency to call over management who act like they are straight out of the Gestapo (how I envy those of you near stores where the employees just don't care). I just want to verify that someone has done this before attempting it.
You do realize that when you do site to store you actually pay online right? All you are doing at the store is actually picking it up. I have still tried something similar to what you are asking in the past with no luck.

Buy the games you want but do not connect your mybb info. Return them at CS & ask to rebuy using the coupons let them know if they were online use you wouldn`t need to bother.
I'll give it a shot and if nothing else they games will just be returned for a full refund.

You do realize that when you do site to store you actually pay online right? All you are doing at the store is actually picking it up. I have still tried something similar to what you are asking in the past with no luck.
After having GCU for one week with the extra 50% trade ins I easily have enough credit built up to float a payment of credit out there until a refund/rebuy can be processed. I appreciate your concern though.

How long does it take for unlocked to kick in? I just bought it today and I went online and my status is still free.

How long does it take for unlocked to kick in? I just bought it today and I went online and my status is still free.
Up to 72 hours same time frame to recieve the welcomes kit coupon email although the influx of new subs has them severly behind on them.

ok cool, I found a skylanders giants starter pack on clearance today. I don't know if it would work with the $10 off coupon since its a clearance item.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed up, but being in the store reminded me why I don't shop at BBY often. There was only one guy working at CS and two people working store pickup just standing there. I waited about 10 minutes to get helped. Hopefully this doesn't always happen.
Come to the Best Buy here. My sister and I tried to just walk around and look at things to kill time a couple of weeks ago, and we literally got offered assistance by 5+ people in about a 10-minute period.

[quote name="Lil Frier" post="11823096" timestamp="1402196861"]Come to the Best Buy here. My sister and I tried to just walk around and look at things to kill time a couple of weeks ago, and we literally got offered assistance by 5+ people in about a 10-minute period.[/quote]

That sounds like a good store with some bored employees. Lol. Where are you located?

Today when I walked in and didn't actually need any help, I had someone ask to assist me. Figures they're there when you don't need them.

Come to the Best Buy here. My sister and I tried to just walk around and look at things to kill time a couple of weeks ago, and we literally got offered assistance by 5+ people in about a 10-minute period.
I actually started going to a different Best Buy because this kept happening to me. It sounds stupid, but I got tired of declining their help 2-4 times per trip. It gets worse during the Holidays too, they have a person camping the entrance handing out ads and asking if you need help finding something.The place is located in a mall though so I guess they have to use this style of service.

I actually started going to a different Best Buy because this kept happening to me. It sounds stupid, but I got tired of declining their help 2-4 times per trip. It gets worse during the Holidays too, they have a person camping the entrance handing out ads and asking if you need help finding something.The place is located in a mall though so I guess they have to use this style of service.
It's usually not like that, we just were wandering the store, looking like we were lost, haha.

So this activates right away in-store right? Would I need to do separate transactions if I want to buy a game on the same trip?

So this activates right away in-store right? Would I need to do separate transactions if I want to buy a game on the same trip?
The BB mods say purchase the games & sub in the same transaction for the 20% to come off automatically in-store.

July 5th and yes you can have two seperate GCU subs just need two sets of info phone #, mybb account.
No what I meant was if I buy it can I buy multiple years at once to lock in saving fr a while or is the not possible (or not cheaper than resub rates)?

No what I meant was if I buy it can I buy multiple years at once to lock in saving fr a while or is the not possible (or not cheaper than resub rates)?
Yes, previous posts mention not explaining anything to the employee and just buying X amount.

X being the amount you desire.

So I totally went to Best Buy yesterday drunk and bought this. I pissed off the cashier so badly, I could do her job way better cause she had no idea what she was doing. Then she said she was from up North and poked fun at me for being Southern. But bitch you in the South now!

[quote name="NewportBox100s" post="11825960" timestamp="1402320396"]So I totally went to Best Buy yesterday drunk and bought this. I pissed off the cashier so badly, I could do her job way better cause she had no idea what she was doing. Then she said she was from up North and poked fun at me for being Southern. But bitch you in the South now![/quote]

Why are you bragging about being an ass?

Grabbed mine today. Going to pay for itself by the end of this year. $60 gives me great value. $120, not so much.
Shady best back in the league at least 1800 yrs this yr plus a good # of catches, Sproles gonna keep fresh in the fourth when he`s already the best.

Shady best back in the league at least 1800 yrs this yr plus a good # of catches, Sproles gonna keep fresh in the fourth when he`s already the best.
I've been preaching his abilities for years. Plus it doesn't hurt having other playmakers at every other position in that offense. Also, having a football mastermind like Chip Kelly running it doesn't hurt either.

I've been preaching his abilities for years. Plus it doesn't hurt having other playmakers at every other position in that offense. Also, having a football mastermind like Chip Kelly running it doesn't hurt either.
I`m 99.9% with chip except for cutting desean for nothing.
1- They take the full cap hit by not waiting till 6/1
2- his release pretty much exposed the need in the draft
3- with reciever suspensions/injuries trades would come
4- it was in both their interests to rework his deal easier to trade a happy player with lower cap hit
5- Can`t teach elite speed his presence on the field made DC`s account for him in ways that don`t show on his stat sheet. Opens up the running game when safety`s play 20 yrs back Shady`s in the 2nd level so fast.

bread's done
Back