Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jimrome27']Thanks I just checked Fallout NV and I'll get $9 for CE? Anyone know why? But Medal of Honor is $25 which is good.[/QUOTE]

TIV was $25, but GS selling at $17.99 used and a B2G1 made for an attractive flip. Also, the MSRP for FO:NV is now $39.99... TIV at GS and Amazon dropped considerably over the last 2 weeks, as well.

[quote name='jimrome27']I missed out then. Wonder if I could just trade in Medal of Honor for $25 GC ?[/QUOTE]

You can, $50 is just marketing to make it sound more appealing, even though it's just $25 per game

[quote name='crazedracerguy']The thing that I find laughable is the notion that the flippers on CAG are the ONLY ones responsible for the trade values going down. Like there aren't SCORES of other people trading games in, THOUSANDS of other people on sites all over the internet that do this same shit.
[/QUOTE]

cag flipping can drop prices quickly. but i suspect SD's huge thread puts it over the top.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']The thing that I find laughable is the notion that the flippers on CAG are the ONLY ones responsible for the trade values going down. Like there aren't SCORES of other people trading games in, THOUSANDS of other people on sites all over the internet that do this same shit.

Amazon's value on FO:NV dropped from $25 to $16 last week BEFORE the GS B2G1 started. What do you atribute that to? Maybe the fact that GS dropped the cost to $19 and Amazon themselves went to $39.99? How often do you get 62.5% of your trade in back on a year old game? That would be $37.50 on a $60 game - I don't think there was a SINGLE game on GS's big board today that got $37.50 - and that was including the brand new releases... And yet, that's what the trade in value was last week before Amazon dropped it.

Doesn't it follow reason that BB was going to drop the value quickly, as well, regardless of how many copies they got in? So why wouldn't you, if you had the game and wanted to trade it, take advantage of an artificially high trade value when it was available? People that are lazy or slow and then blame it on everyone else piss me off.[/QUOTE]

Never stated only CAGs were responsible. I am assuming this was also posted on Slickdeals and Fatwallet due to people seeing results and trying to get rep on those sites. CAGs/lurkers of this site have been linked to deals on those sites.

By the way, Fallout New Vegas came out Oct 2011. That means it is only half a year old.

I leave it like this... if this "deal" never occurred, the TIV would most likely have stayed the same for more weeks.

Look at it this way, Bestbuy will eventually have to clear out their xxx,000 copies of FO NV for much less than they bought it for. That or have them slowly deteriorating on their shelves or in some warehouse.

[quote name='lordopus99']Never stated only CAGs were responsible. I am assuming this was also posted on Slickdeals and Fatwallet due to people seeing results and trying to get rep on those sites. CAGs/lurkers of this site have been linked to deals on those sites.

By the way, Fallout New Vegas came out Oct 2011. That means it is only half a year old.

I leave it like this... if this "deal" never occurred, the TIV would most likely have stayed the same for more weeks.[/QUOTE]

Atleast until october...

[quote name='lordopus99']Never stated only CAGs were responsible. I am assuming this was also posted on Slickdeals and Fatwallet due to people seeing results and trying to get rep on those sites. CAGs/lurkers of this site have been linked to deals on those sites.

I leave it like this... if this "deal" never occurred, the TIV would most likely have stayed the same for more weeks.[/QUOTE]
Thing is, trade values on games drop within a MONTH of a game's release anymore and some games just tank in value within WEEKS. Hell. Gamestop's top value for new release games traded in is down to $25 now, so without any type of a promo you can buy a new game for $60 one day and trade it in for less than half a couple days later.

Best Buy is still figuring out the whole game trade thing and until they learn what Gamestop corporate figured out a long time ago(offer mediocre values but put out 'promos' that make the normal customers THINK they're getting a good amount back) they will continue to slip up and offer way above what most other places are offering on games.

As for FO NV itself, it sold pretty poorly, in part due to the rampant glitches in the game at release.

Judging by how many copies with the sticker(the one that street dates new releases) on them are still at both my local BB stores and how many horrible glitches(game freezing/crashing/glitching under the map to where you couldn't get out) were present in the game when it released I'd say it was inevitable that the value would've dropped everywhere by now.

For example:

Gamestop:360:$8 (2/27/11):ps3:$5 (4/1/11)
TRU:360::ps3: Fallout New Vegas(regular and CE)-$8.75
Amazon:360:$16.75:ps3:$13.00

So if you were someone looking to make some credit, would you go for the $5-16.75 values or would you go for $25 a copy?

well i wouldn't underestimate the CAG effect either. just because it seems like 10 members that chime in on this thread about F: NV doesn't nowhere near represent the number of trade-ins that happened in the last 72 hours. this site has tons of lurkers that just read and copy what we're not afraid of being vocal about.

[quote name='Donut2922']well i wouldn't underestimate the CAG effect either. just because it seems like 10 members that chime in on this thread about F: NV doesn't nowhere near represent the number of trade-ins that happened in the last 72 hours. this site has tons of lurkers that just read and copy what we're not afraid of being vocal about.[/QUOTE]

True CAG does have a lot of lurkers, but SD members have a tendency to maximize the profit on any given deal. The Groupon/Ebay delay had a lot of the guys buying over 300 Ebay gc. Some even close to 1000.

Fundamentally, I think CAG and SD are different -- both have their uses. I prefer the CAG community and mentality. Especially since video games have been my favorite hobby for many years.

[quote name='Trance Addix']True CAG does have a lot of lurkers, but SD members have a tendency to maximize the profit on any given deal. The Groupon/Ebay delay had a lot of the guys buying over 300 Ebay gc. Some even close to 1000.

Fundamentally, I think CAG and SD are different -- both have their uses. I prefer the CAG community and mentality. Especially since video games have been my favorite hobby for many years.[/QUOTE]

Both overdo it, but SD more than overdoes it, they destroy it lol.

Plus a lot of people on the SD community are assholes. Not so much here.

[quote name='dmdragon']Both overdo it, but SD more than overdoes it, they destroy it lol.

Plus a lot of people on the SD community are assholes. Not so much here.[/QUOTE]

Haha true.

I am not a fan of generalizing a population, but I don't think they are necessarily assholes -- it's just dog eat dog there. In some ways, CAG is a lot more of a close-knit community with more people willing to help. Something I hope that doesn't change.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Haha true.

I am not a fan of generalizing a population, but I don't think they are necessarily assholes -- it's just dog eat dog there. In some ways, CAG is a lot more of a close-knit community with more people willing to help. Something I hope that doesn't change.[/QUOTE]

I said a lot of them, i certainly didn't mean SD as a whole was and didn't mean that as a generalization. I think it is more about moderation.

The mods here are very good at nipping stuff like that in the bud, whereas SD rarely has any moderation at all.

Indeed, nonetheless - as I mentioned earlier, both sites have their uses to me. CAG being my favorite.

I believe that besides the occasional banter, CAG and SD have a symbiotic relationship with each other.

Back on topic: I believe FO:NV is still 25 dollars at BB for all of the late comers lol.

[quote name='Trance Addix']

Back on topic: I believe FO:NV is still 25 dollars at BB for all of the late comers lol.[/QUOTE]

For ps3 I think. I think someone confirmed that the 360 one is 9 bucks now.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Yes PS3. I made a quick 75 today so not to feel left out and pay of that Portal 2 preorder on Amazon lol.[/QUOTE]

That's what I did lol.. paid for portal 2 leaving me 20 bucks credit, once I get my 20 dollars from portal 2 I'm going to buy Mortal Kombat for 20 bucks, total out of pocket for both is 55 bucks or 27.50 each.. Damn nice deal.

Im hesitating on Portal but I dont know why. I bought a pretty nice computer so I could get the PS3 version and a copy on PC. $35 is a great price for this game.

I just started playing the original Portal yesterday and I'm loving it. I'm on test chamber 18 and the voice just said I'm almost finished. That can't be right, can it? I know at the beginning of every stage it says x/19, but I just assumed that was one level. So am I almost done with the game already?

[quote name='dino88']I just started playing the original Portal yesterday and I'm loving it. I'm on test chamber 18 and the voice just said I'm almost finished. That can't be right, can it? I know at the beginning of every stage it says x/19, but I just assumed that was one level. So am I almost done with the game already?[/QUOTE]
Its not over yet. It would be a spoiler to tell how you end up playing a lot more levels.

[quote name='juanawoman']Is there a limit on how many copies of the same game I can trade on Bestbuy.com?[/QUOTE]

3 per platform

[quote name='juanawoman']Its not over yet. It would be a spoiler to tell how you end up playing a lot more levels.[/QUOTE]

Cool...enough said. Thanks

[quote name='Trance Addix']Haha true.

I am not a fan of generalizing a population, but I don't think they are necessarily assholes -- it's just dog eat dog there. In some ways, CAG is a lot more of a close-knit community with more people willing to help. Something I hope that doesn't change.[/QUOTE]
It's the opposite for me. It seems to me that I see and deal with more jerks here, than at SD. Plus, people have given me codes and stuff that they didn't want on SD. On CAG, they want something in return(thus, the name Cheap Gamer). Granted, I spend more time at SD, so who knows? I like CAG for all the gaming deals that aren't posted on SD. In the end, both have their quirks, but I like both places.

If it wasn't for SD and CAG, I wouldn't have saved, or spent, all the money that I have. :lol:

[quote name='dino88']3 per platform

Cool...enough said. Thanks[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I wonder why it shows a maximum of 10 on the QTY part?

Yeah, I was thinking,"that's it?" when I first played Portal. :lol:

[quote name='dino88']3 per platform

Cool...enough said. Thanks[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I wonder why it shows a maximum of 10 on the QTY part?

Yeah, I was thinking,"that's it?" when I first played Portal. :lol:

Apologies in advance for a rudimentary question. So I still have 2 FO NV 360s, one w/ a promo gamestop cover (no upc but not the ghetto generic cover) and neither with a manual. I lock in Amazon credit now and try to finagle 2 manuals and a cover from GS, correct? I still have the receipt so they can always go back but figured I would try Amazon out for the first time.

[quote name='Trance Addix']True CAG does have a lot of lurkers, but SD members have a tendency to maximize the profit on any given deal. The Groupon/Ebay delay had a lot of the guys buying over 300 Ebay gc. Some even close to 1000. [/QUOTE]

Yeah gosh that's :whistle2:#

[quote name='Trance Addix']

Back on topic: I believe FO:NV is still 25 dollars at BB for all of the late comers lol.[/QUOTE]

Well at this point the B2G1 sale is over anyhow. Good thing I got my online Sonic and Kirby orders coming in soon with the TIV's holding :)

[quote name='killercane']Apologies in advance for a rudimentary question. So I still have 2 FO NV 360s, one w/ a promo gamestop cover (no upc but not the ghetto generic cover) and neither with a manual. I lock in Amazon credit now and try to finagle 2 manuals and a cover from GS, correct? I still have the receipt so they can always go back but figured I would try Amazon out for the first time.[/QUOTE]

this should go in the Amazon thread but yes you can just bring your receipt and they'll give you the manual and case.

FO: NV and SWFU 2 (PS3), as well as Kirby (Wii) are all still holding strong at $25. Finished up my trade ins this morning. Now just have to find a good computer deal at BB, or just transfer the credit over to Amazon.

[quote name='sgaldis']FO: NV and SWFU 2 (PS3), as well as Kirby (Wii) are all still holding strong at $25. Finished up my trade ins this morning. Now just have to find a good computer deal at BB, or just transfer the credit over to Amazon.[/QUOTE]

What time was that? It read $25 at 8am CDT but at 10 it was $9

dang. missed out on the $25 TIV for FO:NV, should have locked in last night and just mailed it instead of going to the store as I originally planned.

I am trying to find 2 used games (I have a B2G1 coupon) that are less than $25 at gamestop that I can trade in here for $25. Any suggestions?

[quote name='jetsaredim']MoH 360 should flip well.[/QUOTE]

yeah, but it's 20 at best buy so after tax, unless you have the card will only make you 3 dollars a copy, hardly worth it really.

[quote name='jetsaredim']MoH 360 should flip well.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I want heavy rain so that is perfect. I'll get two of those too and trade them to BB. I have 36.25 in GS credit I want to get rid of so it is worth it to do this.

[quote name='Cheap_Bastard']Thanks. I want heavy rain so that is perfect. I'll get two of those too and trade them to BB. I have 36.25 in GS credit I want to get rid of so it is worth it to do this.[/QUOTE]

oh good, while you won't make much, if you are just trying to flip the credit then that would be good then.

[quote name='dmdragon']oh good, while you won't make much, if you are just trying to flip the credit then that would be good then.[/QUOTE]
yep. Just got done with it.

heavy rain + (2) Medal of Honor = 48.58

$48.58 - 36.25 (GS credit) = 12.33 + tax

13.25 out of pocket

50.00 BB credit

Heavy Rain for basically $2.22

[quote name='dmdragon']Now, use the 50 to get a kindle gc that works as amazon credit because Amazon > Best Buy :p[/QUOTE]

How do I do that? I'd way rather have Amazon credit than BB credit.

[quote name='Cheap_Bastard']How do I do that? I'd way rather have Amazon credit than BB credit.[/QUOTE]

If your store carries Kindle gift cards then get a 50 dollar one, they can be used on anything at amazon. I used 75 worth and bought portal 2 with the credit :p

[quote name='theking20']that's what i did today too.

$20 credit for Portal 2 :D from amazon[/QUOTE]

Yep, 75 in gift cards, after portal 2 I have a 20 dollar credit and 20 on the GC balance.. I will then buy Mortal Kombat for 20 bucks :p

[quote name='dmdragon']If your store carries Kindle gift cards then get a 50 dollar one, they can be used on anything at amazon. I used 75 worth and bought portal 2 with the credit :p[/QUOTE]

Sweet. I have to head that way tomorrow anyway so I might as well do it. I freaking love Amazon.

went there today traded lbp2, need for speed hot pursuit, and fable 3 got $75 giftcard, they said fallout new vegas was only showing up as $9.00 so i didnt trade it just a heads up

Can someone help me...

I ordered x3 copies of SWTFUII for PS3 when it was B2G1 for $40 total for all three copies. I submitted a trade in at Best Buy online (it's actually through dealtree) and locked in the $25 trade in price. I plan on keeping one copy and trading in the other two for a $50 BB GC which I will eventually convert to Amazon credit.

When I submitted the trade in and locked in the $25 value (I selected "two copies" from the drop down menu) Best Buy sent me a seperate e-mail for each trade in. I'm wondering if I have to ship each copy of SWTFUII seperately or if I can combine them.

It's not really a big deal because they (BB) are paying for the postage so I'm only out an extra bubble mailer at about ~ $.25 but I just want to make sure I do it correctly so I get the right amount of credit.

Thanks

[quote name='GBAstar']Can someone help me...

I ordered x3 copies of SWTFUII for PS3 when it was B2G1 for $40 total for all three copies. I submitted a trade in at Best Buy online (it's actually through dealtree) and locked in the $25 trade in price. I plan on keeping one copy and trading in the other two for a $50 BB GC which I will eventually convert to Amazon credit.

When I submitted the trade in and locked in the $25 value (I selected "two copies" from the drop down menu) Best Buy sent me a seperate e-mail for each trade in. I'm wondering if I have to ship each copy of SWTFUII seperately or if I can combine them.

It's not really a big deal because they (BB) are paying for the postage so I'm only out an extra bubble mailer at about ~ $.25 but I just want to make sure I do it correctly so I get the right amount of credit.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

You selected them as 2 in the check out menu so you can combine them in one package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back