Bonus 20% cash or 50% credit @ FYE - Now til 8/27?

Bezerker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (97%)
It's been a while but it looks like its that time again. FYE is currently running their brown bag deal where if you fill up their promotional bag, or any other bag with items, you get either a bonus 20% for cash or 50% for credit

To break it down, If you have an item thats worth $15, you can bring it in the brown bag (or any other bag) and get either $18.00 for cash or $22.50 for credit.

If you are wondering how much your cd's/games/movies get at FYE, a good place to check is www.secondspin.com . Their game TIV's are usually spot on, DVD's & CD's can vary between 10-25% between Secondspin's TIV and the actual FYE TIV.

Pic of bag behind the spoiler:
fyebag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JAR']Here are some DS and PSP GS->FYE possibilities available during GS' B2G1 that take advantage of FYE's +45%:
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jar, Your input on these threads is always much appreciated. I don't know how you have the patience to sift through all the crappy titles to find those.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Sorry for the noob question, but when I'm looking at the base values on, say, Secondspin.com, and it says 8.00, is that 10.00 cash? If it is cash, does that mean there's a percentage added to it, plus the extra 45% added to it for taking it as credit?[/QUOTE]

When secondspin says $8 it means you can either choose cash for a 20% more ($9.60) or store credit for 45% more ($11.60)

In my experience, they have always just given the straight trade in value as the cash value and said they could NOT(or wouldn't) add the initial 20% bump, since that bump is ONLY supposed to be for when you're taking their credit.

If the values on SecondSpin and Wherehouse hold up(which I verified the Legends Of Wrestlemania for PS3 value of $26 base last night just before returning it to GS for my $31 and change in credit/cash back), then at least one more to consider for trade is Little Big Planet, which gets $23 or so base value.

I was thinking about doing flipping some stuff for credit, but am second thinking it. Not only is the nearest FYE a 20 - 30 minute drive from my house, their selection isn't that great (overpriced and small).

Are you guys going for cash or am I missing something about their selection?

[quote name='Azterism']I was thinking about doing flipping some stuff for credit, but am second thinking it. Not only is the nearest FYE a 20 - 30 minute drive from my house, their selection isn't that great (overpriced and small).

Are you guys going for cash or am I missing something about their selection?[/QUOTE]

They always do really good coupons (current one is 40% off all used dvd/bluray/cd's) and really good deals on anime, so I always go for credit.

Every now and then you'll find a good deal on video games, like the B1G1 on PS2 games or 50% off all 360 games $29.99 and under. Never trust the pricetag though, unless they're throwing a specific sale, they never update for pricedrops.

I think I'll stop by monday and ask for a bag. Then if I feel like it I'll seach around for some cash flips. If I ask for a bag will I get one?

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I think I'll stop by monday and ask for a bag. Then if I feel like it I'll seach around for some cash flips. If I ask for a bag will I get one?[/QUOTE]

i got one before the bag bonus started they were just sitting in a pile next to the register i actually didnt even notice them the cashier pointed them out to me

it's too bad the values aren't like they were in the good ol days...these flips are hardly worth doing considering fye's high prices. unless you can get over 2x on a flip it's really not worth the effort. anyone remember room zoom? malice? lol

My favorite chain of flips other than the $2 -> $28 best buy stuff was back when Enchanted Arms PS3 dropped to $20.

FYE Paid $38.43 for them and they were pretty easy to find at GS for $16.20 after edge (cant remember if there were any coupons). I must have traded at least 15 to FYE. Then a month or two later, FYE dropped the used price on Enchanted Arms to $16.20 (after BSP) and Blockbuster paid $36 for it still, so I then bought up all of the copies that I had traded to FYE and traded those into Blockbuster for $36 each.

My girlfriend ended up signing up for the FYE pass thing to get the free gift card. We took the bag and some games I didnt want and got $20 for them..not bad. Heres the trade in values for anyone interested:

Star Wars Rogue Leader(GCN): $1.25
The Darkness(PS3): $3.75
Buzz Jr Robo Jam(PS2): $5
Medal of Honor Airborne(360): $5
Insecticide(DS): $3.75

The guy didnt say anything about the bag needing to be filled to the top to me.

Yeah, do the Backstage Pass thing if you can remember to cancel it. I cancelled it and still got my $20 GC about 2-3 weeks after I sent the form out. The card saves you 10% on used and NEW items, so it might be worthwhile to try out after you do a store credit flip. And there's a 40% off used DVD/CD coupon and a $5 off $30 coupon in the booklet it comes in, too. But definitely make sure to cancel it, as it's something like $10+/month to have.

[quote name='phear3d']bezerker you know how much they'd take guitar hero aerosmith bundles?[/QUOTE]

I just asked about this when I was in and found out that LOW for PS3 gets $26 before any bonuses and they repeated what they've always told me.

They don't take used peripherals, so you could trade the game only, but you'd be stuck with the guitars.

[quote name='jcizzla']apparently the 20% only applies if the bag is 'filled' according to the print on the bag. freaking terrorist[/QUOTE]

Wow, now thats a load of BS. I'd say to try to call corporate, but they're pretty useless. You may have more luck with a DM if you can manage to get contact info.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
They don't take used peripherals, so you could trade the game only, but you'd be stuck with the guitars.[/QUOTE]

Its YMMV. One store I go to (a bigger one) has tons of used games w/ accessories such as Singstar, GH, DDR, etc. However another store in a smaller mall wont do games with accessories.

FYE only pays $5 base for the bundle, you'd be better off selling it to Gamestop (they give $10 for the guitar alone).

In "deal" news, I noticed that the PS2 games dropped $10-$20. I picked up Atelier Iris 3 and Wild Arms 5 for $18 total after backstage pass & B1G1. Nearly all of the other RPG's I saw were all $20.

Actually, GS quoted me $6 for the guitar(wireless PS3 one) from the Aerosmith bundle last week when I was in there and $3 for the game itself. Of course, that jumps to $6 something for the game if you can find another 2 games with a TIV of $1 or more from the current gen trade promo.

Honestly, out of all of the chains that DO trades, I preferred FYE for a while since they guarantee quality usually and their TIV's were(note I said WERE) higher than most everyone for a LOOOOONG time.

I traded in:

Patapon (1.99 from SuperK) - $6
Singstar Country (Free 2 weeks ago from TRU) -13.50
Underworld: Evo Blu-Ray (Free after B1G2 Blu-Ray from gamestop) - 7.50
Stoked (10 from TRU)- 24

For those of your with Targets in the area. Check out Wheelman when it drops to 14.98. I just purchased a copy and call up Fye and it gets 26.50 base plus the 45% so it will work out pretty good

[quote name='hopeunknown']Yeah, do the Backstage Pass thing if you can remember to cancel it. I cancelled it and still got my $20 GC about 2-3 weeks after I sent the form out. The card saves you 10% on used and NEW items, so it might be worthwhile to try out after you do a store credit flip. And there's a 40% off used DVD/CD coupon and a $5 off $30 coupon in the booklet it comes in, too. But definitely make sure to cancel it, as it's something like $10+/month to have.[/QUOTE]

Hope, Is it easy to cancel? Can I just make a phone call or need to cancel at the store?

[quote name='Bezerker']My favorite chain of flips other than the $2 -> $28 best buy stuff was back when Enchanted Arms PS3 dropped to $20.

FYE Paid $38.43 for them and they were pretty easy to find at GS for $16.20 after edge (cant remember if there were any coupons). I must have traded at least 15 to FYE. Then a month or two later, FYE dropped the used price on Enchanted Arms to $16.20 (after BSP) and Blockbuster paid $36 for it still, so I then bought up all of the copies that I had traded to FYE and traded those into Blockbuster for $36 each.[/QUOTE]

Bezerker, Is that mean that they take multiples? or you came back there multiple times?

[quote name='stoned99']Rock Revolution bundle at Kmart 17 -> 24, and word of warning FYE is very picky about the game quality, even scuffing of the disk will result in the item being rejected. I got lucky last night as some other guy had just been rejected by the manager for his copy of terminator, so when I challenged the clerk when she rejected a basically dirty disk, he relented and allowed my trade. I guess he didn't want to be a jerk 2 times in a row.[/QUOTE]

Hi Stoned, Was it the HB store, That was me. The disc has super minor scratches and the girl rejected it after she asked the older guy (not sure if he's the manager).
I managed to traded Terminator earlier today to other FYE and the manager is super cool.

BTW: 6/22 TIV - X360
Terminator Salvation: $ 26.40
COD WAW: $ 25
SF4: $ 25
Hawx: $ 15

[quote name='gi60']Hope, Is it easy to cancel? Can I just make a phone call or need to cancel at the store?
[/QUOTE]

There's a phone number provided in the packet they send you. Just cancel within 30 days of signing up.

[quote name='bob330i']YMMV on the above. I got a Bionic Commando that had it's UPC label punched out. They were able to look it up and take it. I'm cool with both managers there so it wasn't a problem. However, I did run into a cashier who resisted but eventually did it after I pressed.[/QUOTE]

So you took a promo copy that was for free and turned a profit? Jezus. That's pretty underhanded. Any time I ever got advance or promo copies of a game or DVD when I reviewed them, I just passed them on to my friends, telling them to do the same once they were done with it. I feel that if a company was nice enough to let you have a copy for free, the last thing I'm going to do is make a buck off of it.

[quote name='Watchman']So you took a promo copy that was for free and turned a profit? Jezus. That's pretty underhanded. Any time I ever got advance or promo copies of a game or DVD when I reviewed them, I just passed them on to my friends, telling them to do the same once they were done with it. I feel that if a company was nice enough to let you have a copy for free, the last thing I'm going to do is make a buck off of it.[/QUOTE]

No, I got it from GS from their B2G1. It was straight up credit swap between GS credit to FYE credit plus a few bucks. This is the second time I've pulled a GS used sticker to find out the UPC was punched. So someone else profited of a promo. I only got a few extra bucks fliping from GS to FYE.

Nice try ethics police....

[quote name='gi60']Bezerker, Is that mean that they take multiples? or you came back there multiple times?

[/QUOTE]

Both actually. All stores are able to take multiple copies of the same games, its just up to the person on the register. Luckily, I've known one of the manager at one store for 4 years and the manager at the other store for 7, and they both know that I do this for money, and I give em kickbacks every now and then, so they dont really care.

The one where i knew the manager for 4 years let me trade in the singstar country bundles even though they no longer even carry new/used PS2 games.

Spun.com is currently doing 25% off all new/used dvds. I have yet to try, but i'd imagine they take the FYE giftcards like all the other Transworld sites.

In a few days ill be back up to $700 in FYE cred, so i'll probably be pillaging the B1G1 PS2 sales

[quote name='Bezerker']Spun.com is currently doing 25% off all new/used dvds. I have yet to try, but i'd imagine they take the FYE giftcards like all the other Transworld sites.

In a few days ill be back up to $700 in FYE cred, so i'll probably be pillaging the B1G1 PS2 sales[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can use the credit there.

I'm going to try to flip 2x L4D tomorrow from the Target clearance(and more if I find it since I'll be near two FYEs tomorrow during the day) and some other stuff I have at home.

By my calculations, if secondspin values are true, then I'll end up with ~$170. :D

[quote name='bob330i']No, I got it from GS from their B2G1. It was straight up credit swap between GS credit to FYE credit plus a few bucks. This is the second time I've pulled a GS used sticker to find out the UPC was punched. So someone else profited of a promo. I only got a few extra bucks fliping from GS to FYE.

Nice try ethics police....[/QUOTE]

So in the end, you had a copy that someone turned in that they got for free, Gamestop in turn sells it to you, and in turn you do it right back. In other words, you still did it.

Ethics police win again.

[quote name='Watchman']So in the end, you had a copy that someone turned in that they got for free, Gamestop in turn sells it to you, and in turn you do it right back. In other words, you still did it.

Ethics police win again.[/QUOTE]

Except he paid for it just like a regular game. It would have been the same price if it wasn't a promo copy. He didn't benefit from the fact that it was a promo copy.

In short, you suck at ethics.

[quote name='Azterism']Except he paid for it just like a regular game. It would have been the same price if it wasn't a promo copy. He didn't benefit from the fact that it was a promo copy.

In short, you suck at ethics.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the fact remains that it was free to begin with, and the one who loses out in the end is the company that provided it. Meanwhile, three different groups-- the original recipient of the game, the game retailer, and the re-buyer/re-seller all end up with profit from it, or "benefit" as you say.

In short, you really need to work on your argument.

[quote name='Watchman']Actually, the fact remains that it was free to begin with, and the one who loses out in the end is the company that provided it. Meanwhile, three different groups-- the original recipient of the game, the game retailer, and the re-buyer/re-seller all end up with profit from it, or "benefit" as you say.

In short, you really need to work on your argument.[/QUOTE]

So you believe he should have declined buying the game (which was, for all intents and purposes, the same as any other copy) because of the fact that the person who traded it to GameStop benefited from a copy given to them?

[quote name='dabamus']I'm going to try to flip 2x L4D tomorrow from the Target clearance(and more if I find it since I'll be near two FYEs tomorrow during the day) and some other stuff I have at home.

By my calculations, if secondspin values are true, then I'll end up with ~$170. :D[/QUOTE]

Only thing is, some FYE's stopped selling games a while ago, so you have to make sure you're going to ones that're still selling them. At least two around by me stopped selling games within the past year or two, so I know which ones to avoid once I get stuff to flip to them.

[quote name='Azterism']So you believe he should have declined buying the game (which was, for all intents and purposes, the same as any other copy) because of the fact that the person who traded it to GameStop benefited from a copy given to them?[/QUOTE]

I don't think that, from the ethical standpoint, that he should have needed to declined the game. Rather, that Gamestop should have paid attention when accepting the trade in and not accepted the promo copy.

[quote name='averageguy']For those of your with Targets in the area. Check out Wheelman when it drops to 14.98. I just purchased a copy and call up Fye and it gets 26.50 base plus the 45% so it will work out pretty good[/QUOTE]

It looks like Left 4 Dead, MK Vs. DC for PS3, LOTR Conquest and SVR 2009 are someone decent clearance flips as well.

Considering trading to FYE for the first time and figures, I have Legends of Wrestlemania for 360, which only gets $18, opposed to the $26 for the PS3 version.

Something to keep in mind.... FYE is very anal about their discs (which in my opinion is a good thing). I've had a far easier time trading in used PS3 bluray disks than the 360's disks. The 360's tend to show all kinds of light scratching leading FYE to deny the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DaDeuce']Something to keep in mind.... FYE is very anal about their discs (which in my opinion is a good thing). I've had a far easier time trading in used PS3 bluray disks than the 360's disks. The 360's tend to show all kinds of light scratching leading FYE to deny the trade.[/QUOTE]

I agree. When I'm looking for flips, I go through all of the 360 disks and pick out the best one. It seems lately, I've had to sift through lots of 360 disks to get one good one. PS3 disks have been easy to find in great shape.

Watchman, you have some odd views on ethics. The company who gave that game as a promo is just that, it's a promotion/marketing ploy to get the customer to buy their stuff. If the reciever ends up liking BC, then they tell their friends to check it out and maybe even buy it. Maybe they don't buy BC but maybe they remember the company and buys their next product. I'm sure the company had no delusions of what might happen to that disk. If they were, they would have only put demos or limited levels on it.

So tell me, most ethical one, what are they losing out on again?

If we were to take your position to the extreme, we shouldn't be flipping anything at all because there is no benefit to the company who develped the game. If that's your umbrella stance, then pretty much any sale pricing (less $'s), flip (no $'s via secondary market) for profit or CAG itself (too much to list) isn't "ethical" to you because there is no/minimal direct benefit to the company. We'll just have to agree to disagree because everything on CAG should be pissing you off including just the existence of this FYE offer.

So can someone confirm this.

The giftcards that the store's give out are valid for online use ?

I don't want to load up on FYE credit unless it can be used somewhat flexibly.

[quote name='stoned99']So can someone confirm this.

I don't want to load up on FYE credit unless it can be used somewhat flexibly.[/QUOTE]

I belive its already been confirmed that they can be used online.... But the weekly coupons are generally good instore only (these coupons are a big reason to shop at FYE in the first place)

To answer a releated question, I tried using them at secondspin.com earlier this year but it was a no go. I've been able to use the credit at both wherehouse.com and FYE.com no problems.

Just did my FYE trade in after I did a run at Target and picked up some clearance. Here's some decent flips (FYE prices are after the bump for store credit, not cash):

Wheelman PS3 $14.98 Target - > $39.60 FYE
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009 $12.98 Target -> $24.00 FYE
Banjo Kazooie 360 $9.98 Target -> $13.50 FYE
Loco Roco 2 $4.98 Target -> $10.50 FYE
Thrillville PSP $4.98 Target -> $6.00 FYE
Mortal Kombat vs DC 360 $14.98 Target -> $25.50 FYE

Toys R Us Flips
Stoked 360 - $9.98 TRU - > $24.00 FYE
Buzz hollywood Quiz PS2 game only $5.00 TRU -> $6.00 FYE
Buzz Mega Quiz Ps2 game only $5.00 TRU -> $6.00 FYE
Singstar Vol 2 PS3 standalone $9.98 TRU -> $18.00 FYE
Buzz TV Quiz PS3 bundle $9.98 TRU -> $24.00 FYE

Other
WWE Legends 360 - $27.00 FYE
DDR Supernova Bundle PS2 - $12.00 FYE
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 3-Pack - $15.00 FYE
The Darkness - $4.50 FYE
Street Fighter 4 360 - $37.50 FYE
Guitar Hero III game only - $1.50 FYE

So all-in-all I got about $300 in credit. I think I'm going to save it towards a PS3 in August, actually. I can hope for a price drop. :)

[quote name='stoned99']So can someone confirm this.

I don't want to load up on FYE credit unless it can be used somewhat flexibly.[/QUOTE]

With only a handful of FYE in our area, cash is better IMO.

[quote name='rjarmstrong100']I don't think that, from the ethical standpoint, that he should have needed to declined the game. Rather, that Gamestop should have paid attention when accepting the trade in and not accepted the promo copy.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. At the same time, the cycle perpetuates itself with each new handoff, and now it's back on another retail shelf, ready to make money for someone other than the developer.

[quote name='gi60']With only a handful of FYE in our area, cash is better IMO.[/QUOTE]

No point doing the flips without the additional 25%, but I love music, so between FYE's website and wherehouse.com, there are plenty of ways to spend the credit.

I've used it in the past to buy iTunes cards and Phone cards.

[quote name='Watchman']Exactly. At the same time, the cycle perpetuates itself with each new handoff, and now it's back on another retail shelf, ready to make money for someone other than the developer.[/QUOTE]

Isnt that the case for all used games sold. If gamestop sells a used game, promo or not, the developer doesnt make a cent off the deal. I would hate to read your game "reviews" if this is any indicator of your intellect. Just keep the discussion to deals and not your nonsense.

[quote name='hopeunknown']
Toys R Us Flips
Stoked 360 - $9.98 TRU - > $24.00 FYE
Buzz hollywood Quiz PS2 game only $5.00 TRU -> $6.00 FYE
Buzz Mega Quiz Ps2 game only $5.00 TRU -> $6.00 FYE
Singstar Vol 2 PS3 standalone $9.98 TRU -> $18.00 FYE
Buzz TV Quiz PS3 bundle $9.98 TRU -> $24.00 FYE[/QUOTE]

The local TRU had 3-4 copies of the Singstar Vol. 2 game the other night for PS3 when I was there, but $8 profit on a $10 game isn't the kind of return I'm used to getting when I flip stuff.

But I do have the Buzz Hollywood Quiz from Sears clearance which was $1.97 final price before tax.:D Making 2x what I paid for just the game while keeping or trading the useless controllers to GS for $1-5 extra is a deal for me.

I'm kind of disappointed in FYE's values going so far down, since they and Blockbuster almost always killed Gamestop's values WITHOUT any kind of promos needed.

Strange about secondspin, i know i've used my FYE cred multiple times with the site. I just checked it and it definitely looks like it no longer has the option it used to.

My Portable Media Player died on me two days ago, so with the great influx of credit i've gotten, I suckered out and got a 16gb iPod touch. After tomorrow ill still have another $200 left over, so by the time the Zune HD comes out, i guess ill be buying one of those as well, lol.

[quote name='Bezerker']Strange about secondspin, i know i've used my FYE cred multiple times with the site. I just checked it and it definitely looks like it no longer has the option it used to.

My Portable Media Player died on me two days ago, so with the great influx of credit i've gotten, I suckered out and got a 16gb iPod touch. After tomorrow ill still have another $200 left over, so by the time the Zune HD comes out, i guess ill be buying one of those as well, lol.[/QUOTE]

I thought MS dropped all support for the Zune?

bread's done
Back