Bonus 20% cash or 50% credit @ FYE - Now til 8/27?

Bezerker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (97%)
It's been a while but it looks like its that time again. FYE is currently running their brown bag deal where if you fill up their promotional bag, or any other bag with items, you get either a bonus 20% for cash or 50% for credit

To break it down, If you have an item thats worth $15, you can bring it in the brown bag (or any other bag) and get either $18.00 for cash or $22.50 for credit.

If you are wondering how much your cd's/games/movies get at FYE, a good place to check is www.secondspin.com . Their game TIV's are usually spot on, DVD's & CD's can vary between 10-25% between Secondspin's TIV and the actual FYE TIV.

Pic of bag behind the spoiler:
fyebag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. That was a rumor, but not true. They have a touch screen Zune coming out in September. :)

Edit: After I put my receipts together from today, I'll post my flips. :)

[quote name='david12795']Is the bag required or no??
If it is, do we just go up to the counter and ask them about the promo and they give the bag to you?[/QUOTE]

Varies by store, some have them lying all over the store and the front counter for you to take, some make you pay for them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I thought MS dropped all support for the Zune?[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you read that. They're working hard on the Zune HD and it looks great thus far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaeONUGMlLE

The bags were behind the counter in all 3 stores I went to today. They were fine with giving me one(or two) when I asked though. :)

[quote name='david12795']Ah, so is for nationwide for sure? I read back a few posts and thought it might be YMMV[/QUOTE]

The deal is going on nationwide per the promotion books each store gets, but each store usually makes their own assumptions on what the policies should be.

So basically, Nationwide on the deal, but YMMV on the competence of the employees.

[quote name='Bezerker']The deal is going on nationwide per the promotion books each store gets, but each store usually makes their own assumptions on what the policies should be.

So basically, Nationwide on the deal, but YMMV on the competence of the employees.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, thanks :)

I'm surprised many CAGs aren't taking advantage of this opportunity.

I'm thinking I should buy 4 copies of wheelman for a DS lite. Good idea?

I flipped two copies of L4D today along with two copies of MvA. Paid ~$50 and got ~$100 for those alone. $207 total with the dvds I traded in along with those games.

Damn I was all set to trade L4D and MKvsDC, and then I found out they get 30+$ each when used to pay for FN4 at Game Crazy. GC is running a +20% promotion for all trade in's against FN4 and these games already have a base of 27 or so with MVP.

Do we have to make an initial purchase to be a VIP member? I tried to sign-up and that's what they told me. He won't even gave me the bag. I need to make a purchase also otherwise he can't give me a bag.
He let me have the 20% though after asking for the district manager phone #.

By the way, they don't take multiples.

[quote name='stoned99']Damn I was all set to trade L4D and MKvsDC, and then I found out they get 30+$ each when used to pay for FN4 at Game Crazy. GC is running a +20% promotion for all trade in's against FN4 and these games already have a base of 27 or so with MVP.[/QUOTE]
Are there any other games with a 27 base?

my FYE said they required state id! my id is out of state, what the hell.... what if you didnt have id, any ways around this

[quote name='gi60']Do we have to make an initial purchase to be a VIP member? I tried to sign-up and that's what they told me. He won't even gave me the bag. I need to make a purchase also otherwise he can't give me a bag.
He let me have the 20% though after asking for the district manager phone #.

By the way, they don't take multiples.[/QUOTE]

You need to use a credit/debit card to get the VIP BSP, so yes. It will automatically bill the card you use in the transaction if you don't cancel after 30 days. The normal BSP doesn't require a credit card.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Are there any other games with a 27 base?[/QUOTE]

Mostly the brand new stuff like Prototype, InFamous, Terminator, Bionic Commando (;)) as of Monday. Not sure about anything else.

Ahhhh fuck. I just re-checked Rise Of The Argonauts for PS3 and now it gets a meager $8 before bump according to Secondspin.com. Call Of Duty 4 GOTY still gets a semi tolerable amount, but I don't wanna have to dump more than a couple of my games to get enough credit for something else.

Taking multiples is YMMV, because I got rid of two L4Ds, one MvA, and one Wheelman today at the same time.

Also, according to the employee there it is going for two months, through Mid-August. :)

[quote name='david12795']Weird, my FYE said they were only giving 20% trade in credit.[/QUOTE]

Yes, weird. Maybe you got a clueless cashier. Typically goes like this:

They ask you whether you want cash ($xx) or credit ($xx + 25%) and state the amounts for each choice. If you choose credit and have the bag:

total credit = cash value + 25% for credit + manually entered 20% for bonus bag

Nice, just scored a wheelman from Target. Need to make a swing by ToysRUs, Kmart, and Sears and see what kind of credit I can build. Really want to build up to buy Battlestar Galactica complete series.

I checked some PS2 games and on some of them gamestop is paying more, and yeah, 10 cents for dvd's.....not worth the drive

I flipped two copies of Wheelman, two of L4D and one of MvA today.

Pulled in $134 total, I believe.(profit of ~$60 or so by my estimation)

I called ahead to trade Wheelman in since it's been laying there collecting dust. They say the price. I go in to trade it in, and I get told they already have enough copies of that game. That's annoying considering I called ahead.

My profit is at $41.xx right now.

That takes into account all the games, food, gas, baseball cards, and other miscellaneous crap I have bought over the past two days. It does not take into account the ~$70 I'll make tomorrow from trading in 2x Wheelman and 1x PoP.

I'd say $110 profit for two days of wheeling and dealing isn't too bad. :)

(that's if I don't find anything else tomorrow at another target)

I have never traded in anything at @ FYE before so excuse me for this noob question. I've read all the posts and am still unclear as to how this bonus applies to trade-ins for cash. The title of the thread says 20% cash but I've read conflicting posts stating that you don't net any bonuses unless you trade-in for credit. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

[quote name='kalel603']I have never traded in anything at @ FYE before so excuse me for this noob question. I've read all the posts and am still unclear as to how this bonus applies to trade-ins for cash. The title of the thread says 20% cash but I've read conflicting posts stating that you don't net any bonuses unless you trade-in for credit. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Basically, standard policy is whatever TIV they give (secondspin.com being a good example of prices) is the Cash value. If you were to choose credit, you'd get 25% more than the cash value.

With the bag, they would give you the cash value plus 20% for the bag. If you wanted credit, they'd give you the 20%, and then when they hit total, it'd give another 25%.

I calculated it out, and it looks like this time the 20% is added before the total, so when you get the bonus 25% its on the value after 20%, not the base, so this deal really is a bonus 50% (i know 5% isnt huge, but it helps)

Thanks a lot for answering my question Berserker! I would go for the 50% bonus but am hesitant to stock up on store credit because of FYE's high pricing of games. They do have a wide selection of movies and music, but the pricing of blu rays aren't that much different from anywhere else (unless you frequently use coupons). Plus, there is only one FYE store in my area and it takes 20+ minutes to get there.

[quote name='kalel603']Thanks a lot for answering my question Berserker! I would go for the 50% bonus but am hesitant to stock up on store credit because of FYE's high pricing of games. They do have a wide selection of movies and music, but the pricing of blu rays aren't that much different from anywhere else (unless you frequently use coupons). Plus, there is only one FYE store in my area and it takes 20+ minutes to get there.[/QUOTE]

Just a reminder that you can use your credit online at wherehouse.com or FYE.com. They often have similar rebates and online coupon codes plus free shipping over $25 (movies/CDs only, not on games unfortunately).

I have the same issue, closest FYE is about 15 miles away in a not so good part of town.

Nice hit today. Got a $1.97 Wii table tennis at Sears. Got my bag at FYE, going to hit them tomorrow with that and Wheelman, SFIV, maybe a few other higher value games.
Looking at all the movies and music there, they make Gamestop seem like blockbuster when it comes to what is available to use credit on.

I'm calling stores and either they're lying, or they're running different trade in promos. Store one told me it was only 45% credit and refused to say that the 20% was for cash. He kept saying, "No, it's for trade in" and I didn't understand what the fuck he was talking about with that point. Right, a lot of places give you CASH for your TRADE INs. Store number 2 told me that it was only a 20% trade in bump for credit and that the brown bag mentions nothing about 45%.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I'm calling stores and either they're lying, or they're running different trade in promos. Store one told me it was only 45% credit and refused to say that the 20% was for cash. He kept saying, "No, it's for trade in" and I didn't understand what the fuck he was talking about with that point. Right, a lot of places give you CASH for your TRADE INs. Store number 2 told me that it was only a 20% trade in bump for credit and that the brown bag mentions nothing about 45%.[/QUOTE]

Can't tell if you're kidding or not. The way it works is littered throughout the thread. The extra 20% bag promo has been a 20% bump IF you take the store credit path. At least that was how it's been the past 2 years since I've been doing it.

Now that's not to say the bag doesn't stipulate that (check the OP) but they also don't have an end date either so what does the bag know? :roll:

FOS,

They just don't know about the promo. It's clearly stated on the brown bag, just like the OP's picture. 20% extra and the other 25% is for store credit

For any Akron area CAGs, if you go to Chapel Hill don't do business with the little bastard named Heiu. He flatout lied to me that the 20% was included in the prices, and then when I went back after trading at the Belden Village FYE and showed him the difference in the receipts he refused to help me.

I'm going back in the morning to see a manager, and if they can't help then I already have the name and number for the DM from the nice people at Belden Village. :)

Got my bag ready to go for tomorrow. Should have over $200 in credit with the bonus.
Eyeing up the website, used cd and dvd's are buy 2 get 1 free. Instore I think 'new' stuff was buy 3 get 1 free, along with a lot of other confusing promos. My kids were only interested in the wall of Webkinz. I did get a laugh out of the fact they had a Playstation 1(one, uno) game screen that attaches to the unit for $60

Battlestar Galactica season 1, 3, and 4.0 used online would be $75.
Season 2.0 and 2.5 are way overpriced, and I'm not sure of a 3rd title to put with it. I think target may still have the 2 pack. I watched the whole series in a rush to get caught up for the final 10 episodes and want to rewatch them sooner or later.

Hopefully, I can clear up the credit vs. cash thing:

I've always been told that they give you an initial 20% bump in CREDIT if you agree to take credit. The TIV that comes up when they scan or enter stuff into the system IS THE CASH VALUE.

At least that's the way it's ALWAYS been told to me around here and really at ANY FYE/Transworld store I've done trades at.

I have an update on a value I think someone else reported on already:

STOKED:360:-$16 CASH value or $24 after all trade credit bumps

I thought that secondspin.com & wherehouse.com were good approximations of what FYE's trade-in values are. My experience today, however wasn't even close, save for WWE Smackdown v. Raw & LoTR: Conquest, which were spot on. Maybe I did something wrong or they recently updated their trade-in values.

Site trade-in/Actual FYE trade-in

Wheelman 26.50/10
Left4Dead 19.00/15
Monsters v Aliens 21.75/11

WWE SvR09 16.00/16
LotR: Conquest 13.00/13

*note - everthing was for xbox360 except for wheelman (PS3)

[quote name='kalel603']I thought that secondspin.com & wherehouse.com were good approximations of what FYE's trade-in values are. My experience today, however wasn't even close, save for WWE Smackdown v. Raw & LoTR: Conquest, which were spot on. Maybe I did something wrong or they recently updated their trade-in values.

Site trade-in/Actual FYE trade-in

Wheelman 26.50/10
Left4Dead 19.00/15
Monsters v Aliens 21.75/11

WWE SvR09 16.00/16
LotR: Conquest 13.00/13

*note - everthing was for xbox360 except for wheelman (PS3)[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to say they updated values, since the value I looked up once I got home for Stoked for the 360 was dead-on with what SecondSpin said it would be.

However, I believe it was one of the ones which was higher in value when initially reported. I think the value was closer to that of Wheelman before a bonus, which was why I picked up a copy(or two) from a local TRU for trading purposes.

That's also why I'm wide awake at 7:45 in the morning, since I plan on hitting my other local FYE that still take games AS SOON as they open to get the full value for the other copy of Stoked before it drops.

At least I didn't open it yet, which means if the value dropped I can just return it to TRU for my $$$ back.

I also plan on dumping my GOTY edition copy of COD 4 today, since I'm not playing it, so why should I keep it around.

[quote name='kalel603']I thought that secondspin.com & wherehouse.com were good approximations of what FYE's trade-in values are. My experience today, however wasn't even close, save for WWE Smackdown v. Raw & LoTR: Conquest, which were spot on. Maybe I did something wrong or they recently updated their trade-in values.
[/QUOTE]

Yea, unfortunately it happens from time to time. Back during the last Blockbuster B1G1, they had GTA4 listed as $14 when in store it was only $9. I guess ill be sticking away from those games then.

[quote name='Bezerker']Yea, unfortunately it happens from time to time. Back during the last Blockbuster B1G1, they had GTA4 listed as $14 when in store it was only $9. I guess ill be sticking away from those games then.[/QUOTE]

I still managed to get $24 in credit for a game I paid $10.58 cash for from TRU(Stoked), so that's still a pretty viable flip if you ask me.

However, I still miss the ones which got 600% return for the money.:D

Damn, I was going to pick up a Wheelman this weekend to trade in. Oh well.

I was able to get a bag for free at my local FYE store and get the 20% bump on cash with no problems.

Now I'm a little nervous about how much my 'bag' is going to be worth. Guess I'll find out as soon as they open. I still would like to get some credit built up there for music and movies, as long as it is close to what I'd get at gamestop.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Damn, I was going to pick up a Wheelman this weekend to trade in. Oh well.

I was able to get a bag for free at my local FYE store and get the 20% bump on cash with no problems.[/QUOTE]

That's unusual then, since EVERY FYE I've been to has said that the initial 20% bump is ONLY if you're taking STORE CREDIT.

I wish the local FYE's were like that, since I'd have bought 2-4 more copies of Stoked and doubled my $$$.

Quick question- On your flips at FYE are you taking the game out of the plastic before you get there?

The reason I ask, is that I have in the past been able to exchange a sealed brand new game for another new game, movies, etc.

As example, I picked up :360: Wall-E on clearance at Sears for $4.97, I was able to "exchange/trade" that for :wii: Wall-E straight up. Granted, that is not a hot title. I was honest with the store and they did an even exchange for me.

[quote name='bob330i']Can't tell if you're kidding or not. The way it works is littered throughout the thread. The extra 20% bag promo has been a 20% bump IF you take the store credit path. At least that was how it's been the past 2 years since I've been doing it.

Now that's not to say the bag doesn't stipulate that (check the OP) but they also don't have an end date either so what does the bag know? :roll:[/QUOTE]
How am I kidding? One store was telling me there was no bump for cash, which was wrong. Right?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's unusual then, since EVERY FYE I've been to has said that the initial 20% bump is ONLY if you're taking STORE CREDIT.

I wish the local FYE's were like that, since I'd have bought 2-4 more copies of Stoked and doubled my $$$.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']How am I kidding? One store was telling me there was no bump for cash, which was wrong. Right?[/QUOTE]

Your store is wrong... I've been to 2 FYEs trading in Monster Vs Aliens, and others, and I always get 20% bump for CASH.

Additional 25% for credit on top of the 20% BROWN BAG PROMO. PROMO is the keyword here.

Normally they only give you 25% bump for credit only, but the brown bag promo gives you an extra 20% for cash or credit.

[quote name='gi60']Your store is wrong... I've been to 2 FYEs trading in Monster Vs Aliens, and others, and I always get 20% bump for CASH.

Additional 25% for credit on top of the 20% BROWN BAG PROMO. PROMO is the keyword here.

Normally they only give you 25% bump for credit only, but the brown bag promo gives you an extra 20% for cash or credit.[/QUOTE]
Oh, I completely understand. I'm just saying my FYE stores are wack. Also, I can pretty much never get cash for my trades. 3 stores out of 4 I've traded at recently, for instance, had "run out of cash" so I would only have the option for trade.

Not to mention that in the past, there was times that my stores had no idea the bag promo was even going on period.

^ Hahah.. yes, I only have 2 FYEs that taking trade-in. 1 is perfectly run (went back there 3 times and deal with different employees, and everybody is nice, know all the deals, and doesn't care about minor scuffs on the disc); the other one is the opposite. Both store managers was working, and of course, good manager = good store.

Is FYE a franchise store?

Did my first trade in at FYE. First the big news, WHEELMAN held at $26.50! Whew, thought i was going to just break even.

Base TIV
PS3
Wheelman $26.50
LittleBigPlanet $22
Midnightclub LA $14
Xbox 360
Fallout 3 22
Street Fight IV 25
WWE Legends 18
Wii
Table Tennis 7
My Fitness coach 10

Ended up with $216.60
Nice, now to wait for coupons and deals on used DVD's and music.
Did see Star Trek 2-4 blu ray set used for $35. Will be waiting for a coupon to use on that one.

Can anyone list the names of all the stores that are doing this promotion? The closest FYE is about 40-50 miles from me, and the closest Suncoast is even further.

bread's done
Back