CAG Health and Fitness Thread

[quote name='ITDEFX']so wait a minute... you guys have seen women pumping iron and like 8 months pregnant ?[/quote]

Yep. My sister was hitting the gym when she was pregnant. I think she wanted to keep the baby fat off. And it worked well for her. Though I think she only did light exercises to ensure the baby's safety.

----

This month is flying by so fast! I can't wait to post my results at the end of the month! I'm hoping to reach my goal around my birthday (Mar. 19th)

[quote name='ITDEFX']so wait a minute... you guys have seen women pumping iron and like 8 months pregnant ?[/QUOTE]

You're supposed to work out when you're pregnant.

You're also not supposed to gain that much weight.

---

I need some running shoes suggestions. My new balances are beat and give me blisters :/

[quote name='seanr1221']You're supposed to work out when you're pregnant.

---

I need some running shoes suggestions. My new balances are beat and give me blisters :/[/quote]

LOL.... Out of all the women I have seen pregnant in the work place, none of them work out, yet they eat meals ment for little kids?!?!? what's up with that? But seriously..isn't there like a book or article that talks about what actually happens in the body when you are prenant and still working out?

---

In other news I am still getting that wierd/tingly pain on my left elbow that lasts for hours after I lift a 50 pounder. It sometimes feels like it burns. Am I risking some sort of long term nerve damage if I continue this?

[quote name='ITDEFX']LOL.... Out of all the women I have seen pregnant in the work place, none of them work out, yet they eat meals ment for little kids?!?!? what's up with that? But seriously..isn't there like a book or article that talks about what actually happens in the body when you are prenant and still working out?

---

In other news I am still getting that wierd/tingly pain on my left elbow that lasts for hours after I lift a 50 pounder. It sometimes feels like it burns. Am I risking some sort of long term nerve damage if I continue this?[/QUOTE]

So the teachers are stealing kids lunches?

[quote name='seanr1221']So the teachers are stealing kids lunches?[/quote]

Don't start with me Sean ! ;)

Anyways actually what I have seen them eat is like really, and I mean really small meals and I compare it to what they serve (in public schools) and I was like what? I guess at work they don't want to *pig out* infront of everyone and pig out later when they get home.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']Holy fuck! I just got set back 4 pounds. I knew eating at Mexican food at 9pm last night wasn't a good idea. :cry:[/quote]

No way in hell you could have gained 4 pounds by eating mexican food in less than 24 hrs!

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']Holy fuck! I just got set back 4 pounds. I knew eating at Mexican food at 9pm last night wasn't a good idea. :cry:[/quote]

Don't worry about it. I guarantee it is just extra water weight due to the excessive amounts of sodium that were in that mexican food.

[quote name='seanr1221']You're supposed to work out when you're pregnant.

---

I need some running shoes suggestions. My new balances are beat and give me blisters :/[/QUOTE]

Id still recommend New Balance or Saucony myself... I just picked up a pair of New Balance shows today for $30... the 4 pairs of shoes I picked out for running last year have pretty much had it... doesnt take long to break down a pair of shoes for me especially when putting in around 1500 miles for the year... and when that happens it just hurts my knees even more. I had to stop running only 2.5 miles into a run yesterday and hit the elliptical. Today in new shows, 20 minutes on elliptical waiting for my jogging buddy, then her and I ran for the next hour, each of us easily breaking 7 miles. Gotta get in training for a 5k sunday

Anybody recommend Muscle Milk?

Muscl Milk

If I drink it with water it ends up being about 300 calories. I burn about 375 cal, while running then I start the weight lifting.
Also, would it be best to drink it before or after the workout?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='D_Icon']Anybody recommend Muscle Milk?

Muscl Milk

If I drink it with water it ends up being about 300 calories. I burn about 375 cal, while running then I start the weight lifting.
Also, would it be best to drink it before or after the workout?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't recommend it unless you are an ectomorph. Even then there are better and cheaper combination of supplements.

Muscl Milk

Also, would it be best to drink it before or after the workout?[/quote]

I've had it before. Not the best tasting stuff, but not the worst either. The chocolate was tolerable. Not much clumping at all.

Muscle Milk is decent--but not for immediately post workout. It's a casein based protein, so it's slower digesting. That type is good to take at night for instance--so your body has protein to use while resting.

Right after a work out you want Whey protein since it's absorbed the quickest.

I have a Gold's Gym membership that I'm paying $48/month for. It's expensive, but the place is nice and I'm comfortable working out there. I just received a letter from them saying that they're instating a $30/year membership fee in addition to their monthly dues.

I like the place, but the price is getting ridiculous. My girlfriend is a member at a Gold's in Connecticut and she's paying $23/month for the exact same service, which makes my feel like I'm getting screwed.

There's a Planet Fitness near me that just opened and they're charging $20/month with a $39/year annual fee. Does anyone have any experience with PF? Apparently, this deal includes their "PF Black" card, which is some kind of premium membership.

Hey all you running cags, I have a podcast about running and racing if you are interested (see sig).

I personally like saucony's myself but you can get good deals at DSW on running shoes.

Muscl Milk

Also, would it be best to drink it before or after the workout?[/quote]

For lifting you should stick with ON 100% gold whey
I use this one
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=OP-1005
I mix it with water pre-workout and with gatorade or OJ (for carbs) post workout.

And like dmaul said you should look into getting some casein for before you go to sleep. I use ON casein cookies and cream because it mixes really well with no blender.

I just bought some Avia cross training shoes for $30 and they are pretty awesome. I do a lot of jump rope for cardio because it being winter in new england running outside isn't much of an option. :p

Although not really exciting news , but it is health related. I noticed while at work that Tropicana has discontinued their line of Weight Watchers approved Light and Healthy Orange Juices and replaced them with a new line called Trop50. Although they share similarities in that they both have 50% less sugar then their regular OJ counterparts , the biggest difference is that while the Light and Healthy OJs used Splenda to make up for the reduced sugar , Trop50 uses a pepsi owned variation of Stevia.

On that note , my local publix now carries two different package variations of stevia. Truvia , and sweet leaf. Anyone know anything about the differences between the two (other than price).

I finally lost the 4 lbs I gained from President's day. Took a little longer than I expected. I haven't been able to ride much since it's been raining. Hopefully next month will be better.

I am getting this burning feeling on my left elbow after a work out that last hours.... should I be having a doctor take a look at this?

Hmm.. There's a saying If it's muscle pain, your good. If it's joint pain then it's probably best to get it checked out. Like my routine goes
Mon-Biceps/Back/lats
Tue-Tricep/Chest
Wed-Off
Thur-Quads/Ham/Calf/lower back
Fri-Shoulders/ and optionally abs I feel like it

And usually I'm still store in each specific muscle group for a few days after. Usually after thursdays I'm like an old man when I try to sit on the toilet. But not joint pain. So, yeah if it's joint pain then def not a bad idea to have your doc take a look.

A couple of my pants are starting to fall off (I don't use belts) and the rest have definitely gotten looser. I've been sick the past few weeks and just started working out again today but damn. I was a bit under 95 at the clinic when I got medicine for my illness but that's only a few pound weight loss, probably only like 3-5 pounds at the most. I guess that's a lot for my 5'1" frame.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']A couple of my pants are starting to fall off (I don't use belts) and the rest have definitely gotten looser. I've been sick the past few weeks and just started working out again today but damn. I was a bit under 95 at the clinic when I got medicine for my illness but that's only a few pound weight loss, probably only like 3-5 pounds at the most. I guess that's a lot for my 5'1" frame.[/quote]

My work pants are starting to do the same , and I do wear belts. Looks like it might be time for me to move down to a 34 (Currently all of my work pants and casual shorts are 36s).

Also , sorry to hear about you being sick. :(

Mmmm being sick is the BEST form of diet!! I'm just getting over a case of AIDS myself and I lost like 3lbs the last few days. :drool:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']A couple of my pants are starting to fall off (I don't use belts) and the rest have definitely gotten looser. I've been sick the past few weeks and just started working out again today but damn. I was a bit under 95 at the clinic when I got medicine for my illness but that's only a few pound weight loss, probably only like 3-5 pounds at the most. I guess that's a lot for my 5'1" frame.[/quote]

DAMN GIRL!!

You are way under weight for someone your age/size!! You need to pack in as much muscle as you possibly can! You don't want to be that low if you get pregnant one day.

I'm getting back to my work out routines finally. Im playing in a charity hockey game in April and I need to get back to playing weight. Street Fighter IV is not helping by the way.

Also, does anyone else use creatine or any other supplements? I've tried creatine, but only for a short period of time. I noticed some good gains but overall it made me feel weird so I stopped. I'm just doing the ON high protein shakes right now.

I didnt like creatine when I took it, as soon as you stop you end up losing that weight from the creatine anyway...

All you really need are the protein shakes

[quote name='ITDEFX']DAMN GIRL!!

You are way under weight for someone your age/size!! You need to pack in as much muscle as you possibly can! You don't want to be that low if you get pregnant one day.[/QUOTE]

I went to check my bmi to prove to you that I wasn't underweight, but I did 5'1" at 95 and sure enough I am underweight again. :cry: Hopefully I'll bounce back up now that I'm well again. Stupid ass back-to-back ear, yeast, and sinus infections.... The BMI calc (I know BMI is BS but what else am I gonna use?) says I need to gain less than 5 pounds to be normal weight, so...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']I went to check my bmi to prove to you that I wasn't underweight, but I did 5'1" at 95 and sure enough I am underweight again. :cry: Hopefully I'll bounce back up now that I'm well again. Stupid ass back-to-back ear, yeast, and sinus infections....[/quote]

:puke:
oh gross.... sorry I said something.... ear and sinus infection is understandable because I get hit with sinus infections 3-5 times a year....but yeast... oh man not something to mention on the health and fitness thread...

[quote name='Pck21']I'm getting back to my work out routines finally. Im playing in a charity hockey game in April and I need to get back to playing weight. Street Fighter IV is not helping by the way.

Also, does anyone else use creatine or any other supplements? I've tried creatine, but only for a short period of time. I noticed some good gains but overall it made me feel weird so I stopped. I'm just doing the ON high protein shakes right now.[/quote]

Yeah, just stick with ON whey (or casein before bed), man. Creatine is gross. It turns into it's byproduct Creatinine so quickly in your body and does some serious liver damage. You can make awesome gains without. Check this guys site out

scoobysworkshop.com
He is anti-creatine and the guys in great shape. He also has some awesome tips for working out at home. And saving the $$ from a gym membership. Perfect for us CAGS.

[quote name='HowStern']
scoobysworkshop.com
He is anti-creatine and the guys in great shape. He also has some awesome tips for working out at home. And saving the $$ from a gym membership. Perfect for us CAGS.[/quote]

See I KNEW there was another way to forking over hundreds of dollars on membership fees. THANKS!

In jogging, I have problems with my rib cage muscles on my right side getting sore and limiting my ability to breathe. Because of this, I have to scale back for a while to let the muscles rest. Is there anyway I can prevent this? I always stretch, but that doesn't seem to matter.

I figure part of my problem is my natural muscle balance. For whatever reason, my body has my right hand side muscles much larger than my left. It is very noticeable in my calves and my biceps. Because of this, I know it affects how I run and do my lifts. I've tried compensating, but my guess is that it will only be mitigated by furthering my strength training to where my muscles level out with one another.

My girlfriend and I borrowed our friend's Wii Fit just to see how it was (our friend doesn't really use it any more). She used it about three times and I've used it twice, and I think we're both done with it. I was going to use it to improve flexibility and balance, and she was going to use it just to do some sort of exercise that didn't require a gym membership, an after we each used it one night we were all for it. It was amazing how quickly it went from "Oh man, this is pretty cool, I could do this five times a week and have fun doing some light exercise!" to "Let's play PixelJunk Monsters again."

I did get to see that I weigh 162, and am apparently near the normal-overwight line by BMI standards. So has anyone else in here had experience with the Wii Fit (good, bad, ugly)?

Personally, I'm just excited that March is a couple days away. Hopefully Boston will start getting into the mid-40s or even low 50s, so jogging outside will be an option again.

OK, so I am about to join a gym, and I need a workout plan.

Specifically, I need to build muscle for weight loss and I need to develop upper body strength. Does anyone have a good plan for someone who is starting off a total weakling and who doesn't like free weights (I know, I know, free weights are better)?

[quote name='gregthomas77']OK, so I am about to join a gym, and I need a workout plan.

Specifically, I need to build muscle for weight loss and I need to develop upper body strength. Does anyone have a good plan for someone who is starting off a total weakling and who doesn't like free weights (I know, I know, free weights are better)?[/quote]

Hmm how many days are yuo able to get to the gym?for starting out the first few months you should try something like a 3day full body split:

Monday/Wednesday/friday
Squats 3 sets x 8-12reps (if you can do more than 12 reps of any exercise add more weight!)
Bicep curls 3 x 8-12
Any lat exercise i.e. wide grip pull up, rows, lat machine, etc. 3 x 8-12
Military press 3x8-12
Dips 3 x 8-12
Bench press 3x8-12

Take about 1min-2min rest in between each set
This will get your legs, lower back, triceps, chest, shoulders, biceps, upper back done all in 45min

Also it's a good idea to throw some variation in and switch squats with deadlifts or stiff leg deadlifts, and the military press with reverse flyes or lateral raises or dumbbell rows every other workout.

:) after a few months of this switch to a 4 or 5day split where you work out a single muscle group each on its own day like:
triceps/chest-monday
biceps/back-tuesday
legs-wednesday
thursday-off
friday-shoulders/traps
something like that

also importantly, keep proper form and go slow to prevent injury/make sure the right muscle is being worked out. If it's tough to keep proper form or you feel like you aren't working out the right muscle/cheating try taking a little weight off.

[quote name='ricknub']My girlfriend and I borrowed our friend's Wii Fit just to see how it was (our friend doesn't really use it any more). She used it about three times and I've used it twice, and I think we're both done with it. I was going to use it to improve flexibility and balance, and she was going to use it just to do some sort of exercise that didn't require a gym membership, an after we each used it one night we were all for it. It was amazing how quickly it went from "Oh man, this is pretty cool, I could do this five times a week and have fun doing some light exercise!" to "Let's play PixelJunk Monsters again."

I did get to see that I weigh 162, and am apparently near the normal-overwight line by BMI standards. So has anyone else in here had experience with the Wii Fit (good, bad, ugly)?

Personally, I'm just excited that March is a couple days away. Hopefully Boston will start getting into the mid-40s or even low 50s, so jogging outside will be an option again.[/QUOTE]

I played my Wii fit for a few days, but saw how shallow it was. I figured it would take forever to any type of real result so I put it under my end table and went running. I've been running ever since.

[quote name='ricknub']

Personally, I'm just excited that March is a couple days away. Hopefully Boston will start getting into the mid-40s or even low 50s, so jogging outside will be an option again.[/quote]

I am 100% with you on being stoked for warm weather. Treadmill and bike are getting boring, and I gotta get out and see the world. How is your workout program treating you, ricknub? Have you seen some good results?

[quote name='HowStern']Hmm how many days are yuo able to get to the gym?for starting out the first few months you should try something like a 3day full body split:
[/QUOTE}

Agree 100%. A total newbie should start with a 3day full body split for 3 months or so to build a foundation.

And it should be based on major lifts like squats etc. as HowStern listed. You got to do the free weights. Machines are ok for somethings, but free weights are essential for the major exercises.

[quote name='HowStern']Hmm how many days are yuo able to get to the gym?for starting out the first few months you should try something like a 3day full body split:

Monday/Wednesday/friday
Squats 3 sets x 8-12reps (if you can do more than 12 reps of any exercise add more weight!)
Bicep curls 3 x 8-12
Any lat exercise i.e. wide grip pull up, rows, lat machine, etc. 3 x 8-12
Military press 3x8-12
Dips 3 x 8-12
Bench press 3x8-12

Take about 1min-2min rest in between each set
This will get your legs, lower back, triceps, chest, shoulders, biceps, upper back done all in 45min

Also it's a good idea to throw some variation in and switch squats with deadlifts or stiff leg deadlifts, and the military press with reverse flyes or lateral raises or dumbbell rows every other workout.

:) after a few months of this switch to a 4 or 5day split where you work out a single muscle group each on its own day like:
triceps/chest-monday
biceps/back-tuesday
legs-wednesday
thursday-off
friday-shoulders/traps
something like that

also importantly, keep proper form and go slow to prevent injury/make sure the right muscle is being worked out. If it's tough to keep proper form or you feel like you aren't working out the right muscle/cheating try taking a little weight off.[/QUOTE]

3 days a week is what I was thinking, so I will give this a go. Thanks.

i have to get a gym membership to stay in shape for shape, or should i just swim, i have a big pool inground that i'am starting not to use as i get a bit older. But, i dont want to get too much muscle because its almost like wasted effort if i have to cut down to 112 and lose it, thats my dillema, go 112, i am naturally about 118 weighed in a 114.3 for certifactions and didnt have enough body fat for 112, but this year if i get down to exactly 112 i can go there. my teacher says not to do it because i am growing but being all county is something id love to do.

[quote name='bmachine']What does that mean? ;)[/QUOTE]

It means working the whole body 3 times a week, just doing one or two major core exercises for each body part.

If you've never lifted before that's the way to ease into it and build up a foundation.

After 3 months or so you can think of a 4 or 5 day split where you do one body part each workout with several exercises for each. But that's way to much for someone who's new to lifting and has no foundation.

So you start with a full body split focused on the best compound exercises for each body part--squats for legs, bench press for chest etc.--and don't bother with the "shaping exercises"--chest flies, leg extensions etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It means working the whole body 3 times a week, just doing one or two major core exercises for each body part.

If you've never lifted before that's the way to ease into it and build up a foundation.

After 3 months or so you can think of a 4 or 5 day split where you do one body part each workout with several exercises for each. But that's way to much for someone who's new to lifting and has no foundation.

So you start with a full body split focused on the best compound exercises for each body part--squats for legs, bench press for chest etc.--and don't bother with the "shaping exercises"--chest flies, leg extensions etc.[/quote]

Excellent...makes sense. Thanks!

Yep, dmaul knows his shit. The 3day split is great way to get strength fast.

Also, important is nutrition, gregthomas, but I didn't want to overwhelm you in the first post.
You will want to take in about a gram of protein per lb of lean body mass a day, split up into about 6 meals throughout the day. Right before workout you should not have any carbs (the insulin will impair the release of hgh) So, have a protein powder mixed with just water. Then right after workout have about .4grams of simple carbs per lb bodyweight mixed with .2 grams of protein per lb bodyweight. An easy way to do this is to mix the protein with orange juice. I usually will eat rice cakes for my carbs post-workout they are incredibly high the on glycemic index (stay away from 'em if it isn't post workout!)

So for example someone who weighs 170lbs would want about 34 grams of protein post workout mixed with 68grams of carbs.

But if you need to lose some weight, too, you can eat at a slight caloric deficit and still manage to gain muscle while losing fat. Don't cut calories too much though or you will hinder your gains.
It can be overhwelming, i know :p But after you get into the routine of it it's easy.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']I am 100% with you on being stoked for warm weather. Treadmill and bike are getting boring, and I gotta get out and see the world. How is your workout program treating you, ricknub? Have you seen some good results?[/quote]

Definitely! I'm still getting sore after each workout, but especially after my legs day. I've seen increases in the weight I'm doing for squats, deadlifts, and hang cleans among other exercises, but I think my lack of commitment to focusing on the nutrition at the same level of some of the CAGs here is probably hindering my improvement a little bit. Since I'm not looking to get too close to 170, I think that's alright for now, and the routine you suggested to me is leading to many more improvements than my previous workout routine was giving me.

By the standards posted here: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
I'm still hovering around the Novice-Intermediate region (except for bench, which is Intermediate-Advanced), but the routine has helped me gain a lot of ground in the squat and deadlift in particular, which I got a late start on. Thanks again.

I certainly admire all of you who are able to remain disciplined on the nutritional side. It's far easier to just cop out and eat something easy/unhealthy. This is a question for HowStern and other CAG nutrition-savvy people: would doing something like having 34g of protein + 68g carbs post-workout (like in the example above) result in muscle gain + weight gain, or just muscle gain with some weight loss? I always get the impression that taking in a lot of protein is for bulking up, rather than maintaining the current approximate body weight, but building muscle.

Sorry if these are elementary questions, but my family believed in ordering out, cooking hot dogs, and sometimes having shepherd's pie on a healthy night. I blame my upbringing (it's the easiest solution)!

Ricknub, glad to hear you are making progress. And if you are gaining in your strength for squats and deadlifts, your strength for the other exercises will increase as well.

If you guys are looking for a solid bodybuilding routine (primarily for building muscle w/ 8-12 reps), don't hesitate to utilize a 3-day full body routine consistently. I have been following such a program for about 2 months now and no signs of overtraining, and I am spending almost 3 hours a day 3 days a week in the gym. Many of the bodybuilders of the 40's and 50's followed such a routine, and who can argue with their results (steroid free, of course). However, again it will depend how much time you have to devote to your workouts, because to build muscle you must utilize a proper technique.

[quote name='ricknub']Definitely! I'm still getting sore after each workout, but especially after my legs day. I've seen increases in the weight I'm doing for squats, deadlifts, and hang cleans among other exercises, but I think my lack of commitment to focusing on the nutrition at the same level of some of the CAGs here is probably hindering my improvement a little bit. Since I'm not looking to get too close to 170, I think that's alright for now, and the routine you suggested to me is leading to many more improvements than my previous workout routine was giving me.

By the standards posted here: http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
I'm still hovering around the Novice-Intermediate region (except for bench, which is Intermediate-Advanced), but the routine has helped me gain a lot of ground in the squat and deadlift in particular, which I got a late start on. Thanks again.

I certainly admire all of you who are able to remain disciplined on the nutritional side. It's far easier to just cop out and eat something easy/unhealthy. This is a question for HowStern and other CAG nutrition-savvy people: would doing something like having 34g of protein + 68g carbs post-workout (like in the example above) result in muscle gain + weight gain, or just muscle gain with some weight loss? I always get the impression that taking in a lot of protein is for bulking up, rather than maintaining the current approximate body weight, but building muscle.

Sorry if these are elementary questions, but my family believed in ordering out, cooking hot dogs, and sometimes having shepherd's pie on a healthy night. I blame my upbringing (it's the easiest solution)![/quote]

Hey, no worries about "elementary-ness" of questions. Yeah, my mom was a huge shepherds pie type. :)

The protein is for rebuilding muscle. The carbs are for refueling muscles glycogen.
After workout you need to replenish these quickly to keep your body in an anabolic state. So, simple carbs(baked potato, rice cakes, etc.) are needed because they digest quickly and make the glycogen available asap.
This alone won't induce fat gain. The thing is though, this should be the only time you eat simple carbs in such a large ammount.
The rest of the day stick with complex carbs like brown rice, steel cut oatmeal (the kind with no added sugar), whole grains, etc, as much as possible.
The only simple carbs I eat that aren't post-workout is first thing when I wake up, a half hour before eating oatmeal and veggie sausages, I will have a "liquid breakfast" of fat free milk and lightnfit yogurt. Just because I haven't eaten all night I want to get some protein quick. Some people will even just have a scoop of whey first thing.

But the big big thing is calories. If you eat more than you burn, you will gain weight. If you burn more than you eat, you will lose weight. It gets tricky though because you need calories for muscle growth. Check this article/graphs thing out
http://scoobysworkshop.com/gainingMuscle.htm
It's got some good info, on eating on a caloric deficit to lose fat/maintain body fat % but not so much that you hinder your gains. It's got charts for different body weights and everything. Hope this helps!

[quote name='HowStern']Hey, no worries about "elementary-ness" of questions. Yeah, my mom was a huge shepherds pie type. :)

The protein is for rebuilding muscle. The carbs are for refueling muscles glycogen.
After workout you need to replenish these quickly to keep your body in an anabolic state. So, simple carbs(baked potato, rice cakes, etc.) are needed because they digest quickly and make the glycogen available asap.
This alone won't induce fat gain. The thing is though, this should be the only time you eat simple carbs in such a large ammount.
The rest of the day stick with complex carbs like brown rice, steel cut oatmeal (the kind with no added sugar), whole grains, etc, as much as possible.
The only simple carbs I eat that aren't post-workout is first thing when I wake up, a half hour before eating oatmeal and veggie sausages, I will have a "liquid breakfast" of fat free milk and lightnfit yogurt. Just because I haven't eaten all night I want to get some protein quick. Some people will even just have a scoop of whey first thing.

But the big big thing is calories. If you eat more than you burn, you will gain weight. If you burn more than you eat, you will lose weight. It gets tricky though because you need calories for muscle growth. Check this article/stats thing out
http://scoobysworkshop.com/gainingMuscle.htm
It's got some good info, on eating on a caloric deficit to lose fat but not so much that you hinder your gains. It's got charts for different body weights and everything. Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

HowStern,

How much should I adapt all of these numbers for the fact that I am quite overweight? I am 6'1" and 300 lbs (down from around 360 a few years ago). Also, if I go in three days a week for a basketball game at 7am that lasts an hour or so, does it matter if I go straight from that game to the lifting routine?

Also, I am not sure about one of the exercises (dips) given where I am starting, so are there any substitutions you might suggest?

bread's done
Back