CAG League Sports: Madden 12 "JV League" - We Finished 3 Seasons! Thanks Everybody!!!

[quote name='Docb9110']I noticed that I'm on the waiting list? I actually already have the game.[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok. Good. I didn't know. I guess I just assumed that since Blade hadn't gotten it yet, you hadn't either. The waiting list isn't really critically important. Just gives me an idea of how many people we're waiting on.

Sorry, just got home. I see Atlanta Falcons by my name on the front page. Is that the team selected for me? I have no problem with that, I just ask because I see Yanksfan wanted to them. In which case, I would take the NY Giants

[quote name='silversnake5']Sorry, just got home. I see Atlanta Falcons by my name on the front page. Is that the team selected for me? I have no problem with that, I just ask because I see Yanksfan wanted to them. In which case, I would take the NY Giants[/QUOTE]

Sorry, did that in a hurry earlier this afternoon. It's fixed now. You have the Giants.

All right guys, we have 16 teams accounted for right now with the possibility of adding a few more. I'll try to get the league set up this evening. If everybody wants to take a look at their team's schedule and figure out who they would like as a secondary team, we can start picking those as well (going backward through the draft order, so I guess we'd be starting with silversnake5). Just remember they have to be in the opposite conference of your main team and cannot be on your schedule.

[quote name='silversnake5']Alrighty, since I'm on the clock, irl I'm a big ol' Pittsburgh Steelers fan. So I'll go with the Steelers.[/QUOTE]

The Steelers were already taken...

[quote name='silversnake5']Alrighty, since I'm on the clock, irl I'm a big ol' Pittsburgh Steelers fan. So I'll go with the Steelers.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they were selected 4th. Vulcan has them.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']Sorry, did that in a hurry earlier this afternoon. It's fixed now. You have the Giants.

All right guys, we have 16 teams accounted for right now with the possibility of adding a few more. I'll try to get the league set up this evening. If everybody wants to take a look at their team's schedule and figure out who they would like as a secondary team, we can start picking those as well (going backward through the draft order, so I guess we'd be starting with silversnake5). Just remember they have to be in the opposite conference of your main team and cannot be on your schedule.[/QUOTE]

that is what we're doing right? Apologies if it's not

[quote name='silversnake5']that is what we're doing right? Apologies if it's not[/QUOTE]

Yup, you're picking your secondary team.

Secondary team in the teams that have not been picked yet, not teams we have already picked. The point is to have a human player available to play the other teams when they are playing a human opponent. Thus everyone will always get to face a human opponent and not have to play the CPU.

Yeah, I probably should have explained it better. Your secondary team is basically just the team you fill in for when they're scheduled to face a human opponent. Unlike other games that might generate a schedule based on the number of users the league has, Madden just uses the actual NFL schedule...so if you have a game against a team not chosen, you'd have to play the CPU. And nobody really wants to do that. By each of us taking a 2nd team (one that wasn't chosen), we can avoid that.

Ok, Yanksfan. Your turn to pick your secondary team.

For everyone else, I'm setting up the league now. Details to follow! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
All right, the league is set up. You find it listed as CAGLS JV League. The password is "cagls" (without the quotation marks). Everyone who has the game already should have an invite. The rest of you can search for the league and join by inputting the password when you get the game.

I've also typed up some basic rules that everybody should know before we get started. I'm going to add them to the OP, but I'll place them here as well.

1. Play fair and make decisions like a real NFL coach. This isn't to say never go for it on 4th down, but make sure that the situation calls for it. Yes, some coaches will chance it deep in an opponent's territory and try to punch it in rather than taking a field goal. That's a judgment call. Going for a 4th and 2 at your own 25 yd line is not.

*Quick subbing QBs is not allowed (ex. 1st down: Flacco, 2nd down: Taylor, 3rd down: Flacco). If you want to change QBs you may do so at the beginning of an offensive series, or by pausing the game and sending "subbing QB" to your opponent.

2. DO NOT sign any free agents. We'll have a set time where everyone can pick up a free agent player if they would like to (probably around week 5).

3. Remember all trades must be proposed in the thread for evaluation from the community. If you want to save yourself some time (and probably some arguing), it would also be wise to post your reasoning for why the deal makes sense for you. When posting trades, please include the position of each player involved, their current rating, their age, and their potential.

Trades will be limited according to the following trade cap:
4 trades per season, 2 core players traded away max
90+ Player = 2 core players
80-89 Player = 1 core player
1st round pick = 1 core player

*trading players on your secondary team is not allowed

4. Communicate. We're going to have to rely on each other to keep this thing going. Make yourself available to your opponent. Keep up with the thread, respond to PM's, and speak up if you ever have a problem or even an idea to improve things. We're here to compete, but we're also here to help each other get better.

5. Have fun! :)

When posting trades, please include the position of each player involved, their age, and their potential.

Current rating too.

I think under the play fair heading we need to talk about running with the QB. There are some things that you can do that are basically just exploitative, and should be discussed.

Are you saying that running with a QB is exploitive? It is apart of the game in my opinion. If you run with someone like Schaub, Rodgers and the like then you are scrambling to get away from pressure or see an opening to get a quick few yards because in my experience unless you have Vick then you only get like 5 yards at the most an even then you are lucky to get that. If you have the Eagles which feasibly is the only team with a DECENT running QB threat then as a team playing against them then you should be aware of that fact and play accordingly. I don't think its fair to say that QB can't run. It's apart of the game. I have the Texans and I won't be running with Schaub or Leinart because they aren't made for it and it opens up for Injury for them but if I see a first down 3 yards away and no open receivers I'm gonna do what I think ANY player would do in that situation.

I'm not saying running with a QB is exploitative, of course running with a QB happens. But there are things people can do with running QB's that do expoit poor AI. Rolling out all the time to pass the ball for example (swear to God, I've seen an AI linebacker roll to the outside and instead of getting between the QB and the receiver, face the sideline and do nothing.) That's just an example of something I've seen. N8 probably has an idea on that too, because I know he's seen it.

I think if you want to run with a QB then run. It's makes no difference to me, eventually you will catch on and be prepared for it.

Running QBs are a tricky thing because in some ways, the AI doesn't react properly to them. HOWEVER, I've learned they can be contained if you call the right plays (and spy the QB when necessary). I still think we need to be mindful of obvious cheese plays though. Sending 5 receivers deep so you can 2 step drop and take off with your QB is garbage. If you want to run with your QB, show a little more tact than that.

I just joined the league on live. I'm excited. Do the rosters update when we actually go into the first game? I think we have all players as healthy unless I'm missing something.

My thought process is that we are playing a full season from week one which according to the game all starters are healthy. I could see where injuries would be relevant if we started week 11 or 12 but since this is a franchise I believe the game is putting team management on us for our particular franchises making injuries in the game random and not according to current rosters.

[quote name='Docb9110']I just joined the league on live. I'm excited. Do the rosters update when we actually go into the first game? I think we have all players as healthy unless I'm missing something.

My thought process is that we are playing a full season from week one which according to the game all starters are healthy. I could see where injuries would be relevant if we started week 11 or 12 but since this is a franchise I believe the game is putting team management on us for our particular franchises making injuries in the game random and not according to current rosters.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, updated rosters with no existing injuries. And yes, your players can get hurt during games though, missing anywhere from a few plays to the entire season.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']
1. Play fair and make decisions like a real NFL coach. This isn't to say never go for it on 4th down, but make sure that the situation calls for it. Yes, some coaches will chance it deep in an opponent's territory and try to punch it in rather than taking a field goal. That's a judgment call. Going for a 4th and 2 at your own 25 yd line is not.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with this rule as I'd love for people to punt to Devin Hester. But honestly, I dont know why people have such a problem with this. Maybe I'm biased from years of playing Madden in college where you'd practically get beat down if you called a punt (figuratively). If someone want to give up field position, so be it.

That being said, nowadays, I punt because it's the smart way to play. But I'm curious as to why people are so up in arms against it. Is it just because you want the games to be as "sim"-like as possible, or is there another reason.

BTW: If there is something non-real-NFL-like that I'd like to see eliminated it's the 20-step QB drop. ;)

[quote name='Blade3D']I guess no one is going to pick their secondary team lol.[/QUOTE]

Can we just pick our second team?..or are we going backwards in draft order??

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']Can we just pick our second team?..or are we going backwards in draft order??[/QUOTE]

we are going backwards apparently but doesn't seem to be working as nobody has chosen a team :applause:

[quote name='hostyl1']I have no problem with this rule as I'd love for people to punt to Devin Hester. But honestly, I dont know why people have such a problem with this. Maybe I'm biased from years of playing Madden in college where you'd practically get beat down if you called a punt (figuratively). If someone want to give up field position, so be it.

That being said, nowadays, I punt because it's the smart way to play. But I'm curious as to why people are so up in arms against it. Is it just because you want the games to be as "sim"-like as possible, or is there another reason.

BTW: If there is something non-real-NFL-like that I'd like to see eliminated it's the 20-step QB drop. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, it's partially to make the games as "sim"-like as possible. But also, it forces people to play "the right way". As you said, it can be stopped, and thus give the opponent great field position. However, the type of person who is going to go for it on 4th down constantly is most likely also the type of person who is going to get mad and quit when their poor decisions backfire. OR, they're going to be the type of person to convert that 4th down by any means necessary (5 Wide "QB Draw", hurry up to get an easy conversion, or other jerk behavior).

Taking it one step further, they'd probably also be the type of person to go for onside kicks the entire game (I actually played a guy like this last night in ranked...and while I beat him easily, it wasn't a fun game because I had to constantly worry about him being a douchebag). That's just not the kind of mentality we want for this league. The basic thought is, if it's not something a professional would do, there's no reason anybody in a video game league needs to be doing it.

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']Can we just pick our second team?..or are we going backwards in draft order??[/QUOTE]

I had this same thought. Unless anyone is vehemently opposed, I'd be fine with just picking secondary teams in any order (or straight up assigning them for that matter). You can't trade with them anyway, and you'll likely only be playing half their games. Who you get isn't really that crucial.

Also, like many, I'll be in and out all weekend. My family just got into town today, and will be here till Saturday. I'm sure it's going to be a slow holiday weekend in this thread, but if we can piece together these secondary teams and get as many people into the league as possible (only 3 teams have accepted their invites so far), hopefully we can be ready to start playing games by Monday.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']

I had this same thought. Unless anyone is vehemently opposed, I'd be fine with just picking secondary teams in any order (or straight up assigning them for that matter). You can't trade with them anyway, and you'll likely only be playing half their games. Who you get isn't really that crucial.

Also, like many, I'll be in and out all weekend. My family just got into town today, and will be here till Saturday. I'm sure it's going to be a slow holiday weekend in this thread, but if we can piece together these secondary teams and get as many people into the league as possible (only 3 teams have accepted their invites so far), hopefully we can be ready to start playing games by Monday.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter to me how the secondary teams are picked..I am for whatever is decided

Also, I do not have a mic for Xbox Live right now nor do I planning on buying one here soon. I hope this isnt a problem. I just don't prefer playing with a headset on.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Maybe you should check with UMX to see if he still wants in as the Browns.[/QUOTE]

I messaged him yesterday. Haven't gotten a response.

And I really don't care about secondary teams. I'll take whoever is left.

Oh, I forgot to address the "QB taking a 20 step drop" issue, I think in the general Madden community, a distinction is made between "dropping back" and "sprinting back". The latter is generally considered to be garbage. Other than simply buying more time for receivers to get open, I'm not sure why this one is frowned upon. Because to me, it seems similar to rolling out in that way. But maybe somebody else could shed some more light on it.

Some things are going to have to be handled on a case by case basis because just posting a list of "don't do this, don't do this, don't do this" becomes tedious. One more thing that IS not allowed though is quick subbing players. For those unfamiliar with this, it's handled from the playcall screen, and gives the defense no heads up that personnel changes are being made. It was abused in the Official Madden League to interchange "Passing QBs" and "Running QBs" on a play to play basis. I'm hoping not much explanation needs to be given for why this is a cheap strategy.

If anybody is confused about anything or has any questions, please feel free to post them. As I said, I figure this weekend will be a bit slow in here, so any discussion we can keep going will just get us all that much more ready to start playing! :)

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']Also, I do not have a mic for Xbox Live right now nor do I planning on buying one here soon. I hope this isnt a problem. I just don't prefer playing with a headset on.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem at all. I know several people in this league don't really enjoy talking while playing competitive games. There is absolutely no expectation to do so, and nobody should get offended if people don't want to talk.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Did anyone take the Jets yet? If not, I'll take them.[/QUOTE]

Jets are yours. Hope nobody gets too upset about doing secondary teams this way. But really, anyone that upset about a team being gone should have picked them as their main team.

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']Also, I do not have a mic for Xbox Live right now nor do I planning on buying one here soon. I hope this isnt a problem. I just don't prefer playing with a headset on.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem at all. I know several people in this league don't really enjoy talking while playing competitive games. There is absolutely no expectation to do so, and nobody should get offended if people don't want to talk.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']Jets are yours. Hope nobody gets too upset about doing secondary teams this way. But really, anyone that upset about a team being gone should have picked them as their main team.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']I will take the Browns for my secondary team if they are available

Thought awhile back about someone joining the league and using them[/QUOTE]

Yeah, a message was sent to him to let him know that they were still available, but he hasn't responded. As with all the secondary teams, if anybody wants to join the league, they're free to take any of those teams. I don't know if I'd say there's a "higher chance" of the Browns being claimed, but if you're cool knowing that, you can have them as your secondary team.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']Yeah, a message was sent to him to let him know that they were still available, but he hasn't responded. As with all the secondary teams, if anybody wants to join the league, they're free to take any of those teams. I don't know if I'd say there's a "higher chance" of the Browns being claimed, but if you're cool knowing that, you can have them as your secondary team.[/QUOTE]

That's fine...If he ends up taking them..I will just choose from the remaining pool

EDIT: Waiting for Madden to go Live for 29.99 at BestBuy.com Rather buy it Online Then Deal with the Crowds..So I am hoping shipping isn't delayed

I'll pass on having a secondary team since there should be enough other people to take them. If there happens to be one left over, I'll take it.

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']That's fine...If he ends up taking them..I will just choose from the remaining pool

EDIT: Waiting for Madden to go Live for 29.99 at BestBuy.com Rather buy it Online Then Deal with the Crowds..So I am hoping shipping isn't delayed[/QUOTE]

Hope you've grabbed it by now (it's live on Bestbuy.com). But you should have several options. Amazon will have it later, Wal-Mart has it, and I think GameStop has it (I think their price was higher though).

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hope you've grabbed it by now (it's live on Bestbuy.com). But you should have several options. Amazon will have it later, Wal-Mart has it, and I think GameStop has it (I think their price was higher though).[/QUOTE]

Of course they are sold out online..I stayed up til 5 this morning to see when it would go live and then decided to go to bed...

Will try Amazon later tonight..If not I will have to battle the crowds

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']Of course they are sold out online..I stayed up til 5 this morning to see when it would go live and then decided to go to bed...

Will try Amazon later tonight..If not I will have to battle the crowds[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this BF has been a little odd. It doesn't help that it's not actually BF yet, and deals have been starting at all kinds of random times. It seems like most of them started at a "normal" time this morning. I got up at 9 AM CST and saw most deals were live (Best Buy, Newegg, etc.) At least you still have Amazon and Wal-Mart to take a crack at.

I got the 24" TV from Best Buy I had to stay up till 5am CST, at least I don't have to go to the store now. I am going to pick up Madden at Walmart.

Just posting this for everyone who hasn't gotten the game yet. It will be in Amazon's Lightning Deals at 10:15 PM PST (ie. 1:15 AM EST) tonight. Have your F5 finger ready!

bread's done
Back