CAGcast #150: Shipwreck Hates PS3, Killzone 2, and You!

padumavati got it right, it's not a review show but two friends talking about their likes. Cheapy is not interested in making this site into a review site or anything bigger than what it is and has said as much in his podcasts. It's a small community site and it shows in the cagcast. If you want a fair review of everything out there go find another podcast or make one yourself. Don't ask them to change what you don't like, others like myself like the way things are in this podcast. Their are plenty of podcasts out there, find one you like more.

About the Killzone2 demo - I assume GS paid Sony something nice to come up with a situation that benefits both of them. It would not surprise me if such an arrangement doesn't happen more in the future for...well...whatever big game that comes next on PS3, since Sony could use the money.

My main question was, what is to stop someone from pre-ordering, playing the demo before picking up the game, and then going to GS and using the pre-order money for something else? Then I looked it up on GS's site:
"Reserve Killzone 2 and receive exclusive access to the Killzone 2 Demo. You must have access to Playstation Network in order to redeem promotion code. Available for online and in-store customers, while supplies last. Once your code has been emailed, you will no longer be able to cancel your order. " [Emphasis mine]

Maybe it is just me, but that is pretty unsavory, especially when GS has been known to "lose" promo codes. I was only kinda interested in KZ2, but now not so much; I'd like to try a demo first - there are plenty of $60 games out there I am far more interested in. (Yeah, I could make a european account to get the demo - but the fact that I would even have to do that just to try the game makes me want it less.)

And Jesus, Wombat! I hope you were getting a handjob during that interview because you sounded like a preteen girl meeting the Jonas Bros the entire time! :lol:

Hey CheapyD,

Great show, but I really didn't enjoy Shipwreck's performance. He kind of acts spoiled on the CAGcast, hating on this game or that game, without ever even playing them. I don't care whether he prefers the PS3 or 360 or whatever, but it would be nice if he showed some interest in big titles, or at least gave them a shot. Every time you asked if anybody had played such and such demo, Shipwreck always said "No, that's not my type of game."

Also, I don't really understand the game price suggestions. You were all debating the merits of Street Fighter IV as a $60 release, Flower as a $10 release, and Retro Game Challenge as a $30 release. Cheap games are great, but isn't saying "Retro Game Challenge is a great $20 game" a little too cheap? I don't think it's so much that you don't find these games worth the money, but rather you just would like to pay less...who wouldn't...but it downplays how good a title is by always saying its not really worth the retail price.

I do that all the time, though not online, Plume. I got the LBP pre-order code, Resistance 2 beta code, and the SOCOM beta code without keeping any of them. Well, I kept the R2 pre-order, but was able to move the others to other games whenever I wanted.

The CAGplay forecast cast reunited again. Such a lovely couple.

wombathosting.jpg

Great show as always.

Now if only the CAGCast had a weekly commitment we'd be somewhere great.

Also rofling over that bad photoshop picture.
The CAGplay forecast cast reunited again. Such a lovely couple.

wombathosting.jpg

Oh Wombat how you make such a lovely bride.

[quote name='konatachan']Great show as always.

Now if only the CAGCast had a weekly commitment we'd be somewhere great.

Also rofling over that bad photoshop picture.

Oh Wombat how you make such a lovely bride.[/quote]
Lol...

Good show, don't normally post here i mainly lurk in the deals forum. Huge fan of the show keep up the awesome castin' work, don't worry about having to do a show every week, no big deal if you miss a few, people who get upset over CAG missing a Cagcast need to stop bitching! Concerning the Killzone 2 demo exclusivity, it's completely dumb making it so you have to pre-order the game to get the chance to play the demo, what?!? It's like they are afraid of letting people who are on the fence about the game, play a demo because it might sway them away from a purchase. Peace out, great show.

By the way not sure how to put this but i'll speak in a language most can understand: can i has Nuts an Bolts?

Not a bad show, though it felt like shipwreck was pretty quiet most of the time.

After reading Wombat's tweet about his "making friends" at GoNintendo, I was expecting his review of Conduit to be much more inflammatory. But, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I thought it was a pretty reasonable opinion, though to compare it to FPS games on other consoles is kind of unfair. If you only have a Wii, and like FPSs, chances are, this game's going to work for you. If you have other consoles, too, it may not, but that's up to the end user.

It's interesting to see the people here getting more antsy about the comments about Killzone 2 than anything that was said about Conduit. I agree with Wombat, the fact that here in the US you either have to sign up for a European PSN account to get the Killzone 2 demo or have to shell out to GameStop and pre-order it doesn't make a lot of sense. If I'm not sure I'm going to like the game, why would I want to plunk down money for a pre-order? I like it a lot better when they give you a moderate "bonus" for pre-ordering a game, like when you got Fable Pub Games for pre-ordering Fable II.

Damn you Wombat, I think I'm going to have to get Retro Game Challenge. Don't you realize that work has already created a ridiculous backlog for me with games?!

/tk

why does everyone on the CAGcast hate the PS3 so much!

i'm joking of course, but i love Wombats analysis of Sony and the state of the PS3, very interesting suff.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I do that all the time, though not online, Plume. I got the LBP pre-order code, Resistance 2 beta code, and the SOCOM beta code without keeping any of them. Well, I kept the R2 pre-order, but was able to move the others to other games whenever I wanted.[/quote]

I edited my post before submitting, Frisky, because I was kinda rambling on about exactly what you said.

I don't have a problem with that, since GS is still keeping your money (I guess it would mess up their order numbers though, since they always claim to only order enough games to fill pre-orders :lol:).

That's a non-issue to me. But saying that you can't cancel once they email your code (notice the wording - it is not whether or not the code is redeemed); that's just bullshit. I'll just buy the game from Best Buy or whomever because I know they won't sell out if I really want it that badly - which I don't know because I'm not going through the trouble of making a foreign account (side-stepping the system) just to try it.

But honestly, I'll just use the money on something else. It's not like my want list is dreadfully short right now...

Really liked Wombat's mini-interview at the end of the show. It added some interesting variety to the episode. Any chance we could get more of this type of thing in the future?

Good show as always. It's nice hearing shipwreck since we haven't heard cagforeplay lately. It's good to have a 3rd opinion on everything. Especially when it comes to GI Joe collections.

I finally picked up a 360 (thanks, Dell!) and thanks in part to Cheapy's incessant praise, I picked up SSF2HD . It was, as he says, pretty great. I forgot how awesomely easy-to-pickup and hard-to-master Street Fighter is. The XBL game was almost enough to sell me on 4 too, but it's kind of hard to justify 60 bucks for the game, especially since I still need serious practice in 2 before I should move forward.

I'd like to thank you guys for your previous recommendations too. I'm tempted to go back an listen to the old podcasts, to re-listen to what you said about my "new" games. I remember lots of Crackdown talk, and that game is refreshingly great. So, thanks!

the street fighter 4 game is different than hdremix is because hdremix is ran on ggpo. they couldn't run sf4 on ggpo and they really tried to but it is graphically too advanced so thats why the online is different.

First Off, people getting this worked up about a DEMO is pretty ridiculous. Like people have said, if you really want to play it, it's extremely easy to make a UK account. It takes less time to make a UK account than wombat did complaining about it (sorry had to throw that in there), and is coming out this week, so if people want to play it before the game comes out, they can. I don't recall Halo 3, Call of Duty, or Gears of War having a demo, and they did pretty well. :)

Advertising on TV and in stores and etc, is much more important than a demo. 90% of people who have a ps3 are probably already going to buy it. Whats more important to Sony is making this game a reason to buy the PS3. And if people walk into gamestop and see "Killzone 2 Demo: Exclusively at Gamestop" it will most likely get people interested into the game that have never heard of it.

And does it suck it's gamestop exclusive? Yes. Would Sony do this unless they had a financial reason to do it? No chance in hell.

And Myke said it best. Gabe Newell is a PC guy, and like John Carmack at ID, PC guys HATE HATE programming the PS3. It's completely different and they don't want to re-learn to program for it. Only difference is Valve is a great position and doesn't need to release on the ps3 to make money while ID has not been doing as well lately and needs to release it on as many as platforms as possible. And while Wombat's theory is interesting, I think it's more of the hating programming for the PS3 reason and not any conspiracy.

Wombat's whole demo rant was the only thing he has said since complaining about average that really irked me.

Beyond that, great show.

Maybe this was posted already...too many damn posts in this bitch.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009...order-only-killzone-2-demo-dates-psn-version/

[quote name='Scott Steinberg, vice president of product marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America']“Offering a playable demo to motivate preorders speaks to our confidence in the appeal of a game such as Killzone 2. We take this approach when we are convinced that the experience will cement a consumer’s interest in purchasing. Retailers will then merchandise those demos within their stores and online to maximize their visibility. Through this process, consumers are often times able to reserve their copy of the final game, which provides an incentive to purchase and helps seal the deal. We also offer demos on the PSN, which we have done in the past with great success, and will continue to make that available. Killzone 2, for example, will have a downloadable demo launch in North America the week that the game is launching, for consumers who prefer that option.”[/QUOTE]

I always enjoy having Shipwreck on the show. Even if he doesn't say a ton, I always get the feeling that things flow more easily and naturally. When it's just you guys (Cheapy and Wombat), it a lot of the time feels like one of you two is pulling the show along. I think Shipwreck just adds a bit of normality to the show in the sense that his responses are fairly straightforward and just answer the question. While that doesn't sound terribly thrilling, I think he is a nice contrast to both Cheapy's and Wombat's personalities.

And just for Wombat: "This is my entry in the Banjo contest."

Thank you Cheapy for talking about the problems with SFIV. I love the game too but you were right on the ball there. The quick play option is borked and as for joining a match EVERY match i joined for 10mins gave me a 'sorry, unable to join, match is full'. So i can only create a match.

I found the quickest way to play a match online is to just go to arcade and be challenged by someone.

Still love it, but wish it was based on GGPO like HD remix.

Oh, and cheapy.. you should check out GPPO on PC, it's awesome.

[quote name='CheapyD']Maybe this was posted already...too many damn posts in this bitch.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009...order-only-killzone-2-demo-dates-psn-version/[/quote]

bam.

A lot of games that have big sales expectations dont even get demos so I dont see why Wombat was so upset. And I for one dont find his Sony analysis all that interesting, it always boils down "oh man look how sony is fucking up this time!" Like teaming up with one of the biggest videogame retailers is such a big f*ck up. It's less of a gamble than alot of other moves they could have made.

If you were to choose between Flower or Braid which we you get? Or maybe you would suggest a free RACNAB? But seriously if you are only going to get one Braid or Flower?

Awesome show guys. I'm a little disappointed that you didn't give Death Tank a shot. It's a lot of fun. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Why did you buy Street Fighter 4 on 360?? Do you have an arcade stick for it already?

I thought it was better on PS3 with the d-pad and all. I am trying to decide which one to get.

Right on with Mighty Muggs. I think theyre awesome and have a bunch myself.But get em while you can since it looks like Hasbro is going to stop making a few of their lines.

not really fond of the way wombat bashed halo wars I can understand his argument but I think of more as a My first RTS if ensemble had made halo wars like Age of Empires it probably wouldn't have sold too many copies but again it is not a good business rule to tell your employee's that they are going to be fired before the game is finished or at least in post production

[quote name='Imallvol7']Why did you buy Street Fighter 4 on 360?? Do you have an arcade stick for it already?

I thought it was better on PS3 with the d-pad and all. I am trying to decide which one to get.[/quote]

Have you not listened to the show? They are 360 fanboys. Duh!!!

Whoa, reallly really lame about the interview with Platinum Games. That's a really stupid custom...do all Japanese devs do this?

completely agree about the Killzone 2 demo grief. Sure, people on this forum know how to set up a UK account in minutes, but his anger was about the larger marketing logic-- Joe Bestbuy needs to have it handed to him in the easiest method possible. There should have been disc-based demos flooding stores.

[quote name='ninja dog'] Joe Bestbuy needs to have it handed to him in the easiest method possible. There should have been disc-based demos flooding stores.[/quote]

LOL! Thanks for giving me my favorite new gaming synecdoche.

What's up with your copy of SFIV Cheapy? The Quick Match option isn't nearly as frustrating as you indicated. When I choose Quick Match it lets me choose between three matches for a battle. There's no settings as you stated in the podcast. Also, I don't have to wait 30 secs for it to save after an online match. It's probably 10-15 secs tops. You were dead on with the horrendous soundtrack and obnoxious option allowing others to challenge you while you play in Arcade mode.

[quote name='jalopez86']What's up with your copy of SFIV Cheapy? The Quick Match option isn't nearly as frustrating as you indicated. When I choose Quick Match it lets me choose between three matches for a battle. There's no settings as you stated in the podcast. Also, I don't have to wait 30 secs for it to save after an online match. It's probably 10-15 secs tops. You were dead on with the horrendous soundtrack and obnoxious option allowing others to challenge you while you play in Arcade mode.[/quote]

A trend on the CAGCast is to focus on all the negatives of a game and gloss over the positives. :lol:

I liked how CheapyD said, "Ya SFIV is a great game and it looks good, but lets talk about the negatives" so he said around 1-2 seconds of positive and went onto a 10 minute rant about stupid crap. That is ussually the case! Love you CAGCAST, Cheapy and Wombat!

Love the show! As a mailman walking around all day everyday stepping in dog poop, I was really hoping for more poop talk this week. The farts will do, but I need more poop!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I started watching the show "Burn Notice" on the recommendation of Wombat. I am about halfway through the first season, it is a good show, but I hate how Mike the main character calls the girl "Fi" for Fiona, it sounds so contrived as a play for familiarity. But other than that it's good, it's like the inverse of Chuck, a spy is helping amateurs instead of an amateur helping spies.

[quote name='doug89']To Wombat.
I believe the actor you spoke with was Mark Sheppard, I knew it just by the number of episodes of Firefly and Battlestar Galactica he acted in. I'm actually a little disappointed that you didn't recognise him, I am a massive Firefly fan.

CheapyD I remember you said you have been watching a bit of Battlestar, he portrayed the lawyer who defended Baltar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sheppard
[/quote]

As a huge Battlestar Galactica fan (just look at my avatar) I must say Wombat I am also disappointed that you did not recognize this actor, especially since among BSG and Firefly he's also appeared in your show, Burn Notice:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0791968/

He's also in other new shows like Leverage and his TV credits list is not short. While his attitude was douchy considering you met him at a COMIC-CON it can be considered surprising that you didn't recognize him. Also his douchy behavior does not justify you talking about him like a douche.

[quote name='sinewav']As a huge Battlestar Galactica fan (just look at my avatar) I must say Wombat I am also disappointed that you did not recognize this actor, especially since among BSG and Firefly he's also appeared in your show, Burn Notice:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0791968/

He's also in other new shows like Leverage and his TV credits list is not short. While his attitude was douchy considering you met him at a COMIC-CON it can be considered surprising that you didn't recognize him. Also his douchy behavior does not justify you talking about him like a douche.[/QUOTE]

He appeared on Burn Notice the week after the Comic Con, other wise I would have recognized him. And if doesn't like the way I talked about him, he is more then welcome to come on the CAGcast and insult me for as long as he'd like

Watch out now!! Cheapy D, Wombat and... Shipwreck all in one show. Great show and keep it up.
P.S. Can't we all get along... let a Playstation 3 into your heart.\\:D/
Click Here to try GameFly for FREE or start for only $8.95!!

[quote name='Wombat']He appeared on Burn Notice the week after the Comic Con, other wise I would have recognized him. And if doesn't like the way I talked about him, he is more then welcome to come on the CAGcast and insult me for as long as he'd like[/quote]

He was also on Friday's "Dollhouse".

Hey Cheapy,
Here's an idea for the 2009 Cheapy awards. Get SuperProgrammerJohn to randomize the order that the options are presented to the user for voting. Why? I believe that there's a statistical bias for the reader to vote on things near the top of the list than the bottom. Could be wrong, but there you go.
Now, tell Wombat to send me that copy of Nuts'n'Bolts.

[quote name='Wombat']He appeared on Burn Notice the week after the Comic Con, other wise I would have recognized him. And if doesn't like the way I talked about him, he is more then welcome to come on the CAGcast and insult me for as long as he'd like[/quote]

I'm not wishing the wrath of God on you or anything close I just wish things didn't end up the way they did between you and Mark Sheppard. Given your situation (and the crappy timing with Burn Notice) I can see you not liking the guy. I guess I wish I were in your shoes if only for that moment as I would have been totally stoked to meet him in person.

I'll tell you who the target audience for Edge is. People who want to read mature commentary on videogames, instead of puerile rubbish, like
"Graphics are really good. If you like games like this, you'll like this."

Honestly, you had trouble making sense of the review because it used big words? That doesn't reflect well on you, does it?

And Edge has for a long time held a very different scoring system to other outlets, where 5/10 is average. So a 7/10 is a game that's good, but unremarkable. It's not some kind of a mortal insult.

I like the three person format, you three mesh really well together. The CAGcast lost me for a little bit, but it's again on the must immediately listen to list

Always enjoy the Shipwreck shows, though I am sad panda because you answered a CAGbag question about magical electric toilets, and it wasn't mine. :cry:

Loved the bit about Shipwreck pretty much getting every other adult gamer on Earth off the hook because of the sheer magnitude of his collection.

[quote name='Dougerus']If you were to choose between Flower or Braid which we you get? Or maybe you would suggest a free RACNAB? But seriously if you are only going to get one Braid or Flower?[/QUOTE]

RACNAB was suppose to mean Rachet and Clank Nuts and Bolts!

bread's done
Back