CAGcast #150: Shipwreck Hates PS3, Killzone 2, and You!

[quote name='Wingwright']Congratulations on 150 episodes!
This episode was great, especially the part about your wives.

Shipwreck, you really need to post pictures or a video of your legendary basement.[/quote]But then he'd be showing the pit where he tells girls "It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again."

Wombat, I have the Turtle Beach X2 and I use it all the time with my PS3 and Xbox 360 (and Wii and PC and...) and it works great. Dead Space sounds awesome with them.

As for chat, you can use your X4 on the PS3. You need to get an USB soundcard. Turtle Beach sells some, but I have this one from monoprice.com. I have used it on the Killzone 2 multi-player beta and it works just fine.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']The mass public know that Gamestop have a demo. They do not care about it on PSN. If they want it, and want Killzone enough on day one they'll pre-order it. You guys are making bullshit and false assumptions like they're members only jackets circa 1985.[/quote]
. . .

[quote name='Doomed']What happened to discussing future consoles for CAGcast 150?[/quote]
I was wondering that too...

This episode was cool. I like Shipwreck's input on issues. He adds different flavor. I loved the intro music in episodes 148-149.

While Sony isn't doing the PS3 and favors w/it's promotion of Killzone, Microsoft isn't moving mountains either. I can't wait until GDC is over with. Maybe then we will see what Microsoft is planning for Q3.

My 5 year old daughter is an avid gamer and she's currently playing Banjo Kazooie (the original). I told her you were giving away Nuts and Bolts and asked her to come up with something that would convince you that she should be awarded with the game.

"Because I really really like Banjo Kazooie and I like how the bird can fly and the bird is my friend Issac's favorite color - red. And it's funny when the little fairy says Cauldron Butt."

So that's her pitch.

Awesome show. The Mario fart had me rofling.

I wish my Wife wanted me to play games.. :( Yeah for real Can we get some Flix of Shipwreck's the GI Joe Hideout??

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']The mass public know that Gamestop have a demo. They do not care about it on PSN. If they want it, and want Killzone enough on day one they'll pre-order it. Again, thinking CAG and GAF are representated of the gaming public is wrong. The average gamer goes into a gamestop and asks them "whats coming out" and they go "Oh Killzone is. If you pre-order it you get a demo of the game". No casual gamer goes and cries because there's not a demo on PSN. for two weeks prior to release. You guys are making bullshit and false assumptions like they're members only jackets circa 1985.

Plus Sony has already said they've had around a million pre-orders for it worldwide. And anyone who doesn't buy it on day one, can download the demo on day one and get it on day two, contributing to the week one sales.

So again, why does this matter?[/QUOTE]

Your arguments are contradictory. First you believe the micro communities aren't reflective of the gaming public, then as a member of one of those communities, you think you represent the gaming public. I don't think the "masses" even know about the demo at Gamestop, and I think they might want to know why it isn't already on the PSN. Yeah, it might be available on release day, but the whole point of marketing is to create anticipation and demand before the release. And Sony may have logged a million pre-orders already, but if they'd released the demo last month, they may have been looking at 2 million pre-orders by now.

But that's just my opinion, I could just be a crybaby casual gamer who paid $400 for a console with a harddrive and internet access so that I can get freaking demos delivered to my unit instead of having to go to a store I don't even like. Don't get me wrong, I love bonuses, I just don't like bullshit worthless ones.

Reply to Wombat's concerns about The Conduit:

Solution to the spinning problem: Press Home to PAUSE
The graphics are definitely comparable to that of Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode One, and maybe even Half Life 2: Episode Two to some degree.

There's more to FPS than just controls and graphics. There's always room for better graphics, but who actually tries to make some interesting new weapons that distinguishes the game from other FPS.

Wombat needs more time with the game to tell us more about its online multiplayer which hasn't been mentioned in any podcast or hands-on yet. Keep up the great work guys! \:D/

// Roth

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Why can't you wait until release day to play the demo? Is not getting the game on day one really a big problem to you? FFS you can still get it on day one, you can grab the demo in the morning.[/QUOTE]Good point. Considering that some demos give people an unfavorable preview of a game (Burnout Paradise, RE5) before its release, it's only smart of Sony to grant the early demo as a reward to those who have already invested in the game, and to give the free demo to everyone else sometime after the game's release. That way, the people who most likely have already convinced themselves that they'll love the game will be singing its praises before the launch.

...here's hoping I win that Nuts & Bolts game! ;)

Glad to hear Wombat is a Burn Notice fan. Keep plugging it on the CagCast. I love that show and more people need to know about it so that it never gets cancelled. Plus it has Bruce Campbell in it, so how could anyone not like it ?

[quote name='orko60']Here's a link to a study that shows that demos actually hurt game sales. There are a few exceptions, but I think that without a demo, Killzone would do better (ala GTA4 and MGS4).

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/mi6-eedar-says-demos-hurt-game-sales/?page=1[/QUOTE]

I know that GT4 would have lost some sales if they would have released a demo. If people would have be able to preview the terrible driving controls (or gameplay), it would have convinced a lot of people to leave the game alone.

Don't forget even Wombat himself, have talked about good games having bad demos. Thus, releasing a demo for some games, according to statistics are worthless, and then there's the risk of releasing a demo that doesn't do the game justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
No fart this show Wombat? haha

Talking about Shipwrecks GI Joe collection was funny as hell. I like it when you guys give that personal touch to the podcast. Keep up the great work guys.

I was pleased to hear about your experiences with dating (or not) other gamers. I can't believe that Mrs. Cheapy likes to watch Cheapy play so much! I thought I was alone! I love to watch people play. My current boyfriend plays video games less than I do, so I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of good games that aren't the type I'd play myself.
That said, I played Flower and agreed with your review. I loved Flower and thought it had a wonderful narrative. I don't think that lack of a main character (or at least, a character with a more developed personality) detracted at all from the game. The interaction between the petals and the landscape tells you what your character is like, since there are 6 of them. In short, I want more games like Flower! Inexpensive, short, satisfying, and beautiful. :)
Capcom is ridiculous. If they are making assertions in an attempt to influence sales in the US that can easily be refuted by one guy in Japan, causing them to "re-word," then that's just sad. That's like telling the school bully your dad is Superman - it's obviously not true, and you're just gonna get punched in the face.
And finally, I like it when Shipwreck joins the show! Sometimes he tempers the crudeness that Cheapy and Wombat are wont to display. Not too much, though. ;) Good show, guys. It always makes my spreadsheet drudgery go much faster.

When you guys started talking about Sony's expectation for Killzone and how much they need it to sell successfully I thought:

Sony shouldn't need just one game to do well to sell the system.
Sony should be flooding us with multiple good games on PS3.
The PS2 was successful because of the variety of good games on it. First party and third party.
The PSP is an example of Sony not making sure that the system had enough games on it.
The DS is outselling it not because Imagine Babies is an amazing game but because it one of a variety of games available to new consumers. Where is "PSPdogs?" In other words, where is the shear number and variety of games for the platform.
Sony should think about more 3rd party development. If God of War 3 won't be out until the 5th year in the console's life-cycle then they're in trouble because although God of War came out long after the PS2's launch and by the time it was out the PS2 had sold tens of millions of consoles, and more importantly hundreds of millions of GAMES.
Sony should make more 1st party games and to combat the long development time they should be budget titles at initial release and they should varied in genres. Oh and avoid shipping with any "controversial" music lyrics that make you reissue the game. Poor LBP it could have a bigger hit without the stuttered start.
Sony needs to remember that it's all about the GAMES!!! not Blueray not internet interfaces just games: lots of games and as much variety of game as you can throw at it.

I agree with Wombat about Dead Space. That game is amazing and I would not change a damn thing about it, so I can see where you [Wombat] are coming from when you said that it is a perfect game.

Flower is a game. I don't like how people state Flower is not a game because there is no dieing, no losing, and as Cheapy said it is not very "game-y." There is no official rule set that defines the exact constitution of a game. Flower is just as much of a game as any other game.

[quote name='Wingwright']Congratulations on 150 episodes!
This episode was great, especially the part about your wives.

Shipwreck, you really need to post pictures or a video of your legendary basement.[/quote]

I agree. I need to see if it rivals my friends Star Wars figurine/video game collection basement!!

About the new Blockbuster Total Access package that includes game rentals...I ask them, "why would I do this?" With my current plan I already get a coupon for one in-store movie/game rental per month, so why would I pay extra to get the same thing? Only a moron would go for this "deal". This has to be one of the stupidest ideas they have ever come up with!

[quote name='bmulligan']Your arguments are contradictory. First you believe the micro communities aren't reflective of the gaming public, then as a member of one of those communities, you think you represent the gaming public. I don't think the "masses" even know about the demo at Gamestop, and I think they might want to know why it isn't already on the PSN. Yeah, it might be available on release day, but the whole point of marketing is to create anticipation and demand before the release. And Sony may have logged a million pre-orders already, but if they'd released the demo last month, they may have been looking at 2 million pre-orders by now.

But that's just my opinion, I could just be a crybaby casual gamer who paid $400 for a console with a harddrive and internet access so that I can get freaking demos delivered to my unit instead of having to go to a store I don't even like. Don't get me wrong, I love bonuses, I just don't like bullshit worthless ones.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked you don't have to go to the store to get the demo; you can get it on the 27th on release day.

Seriously, this demo issue is a non-issue. It just exists because people are uninformed and are hurt they can't play a demo two weeks early.

Wombat, I just read how you upset a bunch of fanboys over at gonintendo for saying the Conduit wasn't that bad. Good job, I was greatly amused. They seem to have taken great offense because you said the game wouldn't look as good as a PS3 or 360 title. I think they might be trying to deny facts.

Wombat, you were a little harsh on Conduit. Of course it can't compare to Killzone 2 graphically, but Nintendo console only gamers don't get nice things very often...you dismissed the game based on a very short playing period.

While I agree with your comment about Street Fighter IV's inability to let only friends challenge you mid-game, I have to defend those who challenge strangers in arcades. I mean, if a game is new, and the arcade only has 1 or 2 machines, then why should someone have to wait for you to finish when there's a perfectly good second player joystick available. It's just inefficient, I say.

You know, I have to agree with the listener who says that Kotaku has changed their attitude about CAG. They're not banning content from the site, but they went from almost daily references to deals on CAG to only mentioning the occasional non-deal related content from CAG.

I must implore Cheapy and Shipwreck to watch Indiana Jones 4, mainly because they are hosts of a show with the goal of entertainment and I know that the ensuing rant would be spectacularly funny. If you two were any other fans of Indiana Jones, I would tell you to never watch that movie, but I want you both to watch it merely for my selfish desires for humor/cathartic ranting.

I don't get the hate for Indy 4, really. I saw it and didn't think it was that bad - thought it was OK, and decent enough fun and definitely not a waste of whatever money I spent to take myself and my 2 older kids, though I could have done without that young dude. I remember being somewhat disappointed in 2 AND 3 when they came out - thought they didn't live up to the first. But more recently I've watched the first again for the first time in a long while and now I don't think that is so great either. I was viewing it through the rose-colored glasses of an innocent childhood ;). On the other hand, Star Wars (the originals that is - though I don't hate the prequels as much as the cool kids do) has held up much better (especially ESB).

I just read the Killzone 2 Edge review and I don't know if I am reading the same thing as you guys but it was as readable as any other reviews. Cheapy and Shipwreck made it sound like one of Tycho's blurbs on Penny Arcade. Am I missing something here? Or maybe the online review is different from the one in the magazine....

Yeah, friends, more PS3 bashing. HURRAHHH!!!

Hey, Cheapy, will you host something like the Razzies awards to the Cheapy awards. We can let Wombat and Shipwreck decide the categories (so we can have Villain of the Year and Douchebag of 2008!).

Glad to hear you got so great a gift, Wombat (I suppose Mrs. Wombat said "so he's bragging about them on your face?!? No way, here you have darling!).

Take care you all.

I was listening to this episode on the way to work this morning and I had to turn it off. I am a PS3 and Wii owner and I enjoy both systems. I used to own a 360 but because Microsoft treated me like crap, I sold it and vowed to never support them (it's a long story but think RROD mixed with horrible customer service and you get the idea). When I listen to the CAGcast I honestly feel like I'm listenting to a 360 podcast which is forced to talk about the other system. This was almost ok early in the generation when the 360 really had the vast majority of the best games and the PS3 and Wii were sorely lacking. However, nowadays all 3 systems have healthy lineups with many interesting games and yet you would never think that from listening to the Cagcast. The general disdain, disinterest, and sarcastic criticism that surrounds everything Nintendo and Sony is really starting to become grating. Many general gaming sites/podcast/communities have moved past that stage (at least for the PS3, many of them still hate the Wii) but the CAGcast feels like it's suck in 2006/2007.

Cheapy, put your 360 in a closet, dust off your PS3 and Wii and give them an honest shot, I bet you'd be surprised at how much fun you'll have. The funny thing is that given your gaming taste I think you'd actually enjoy a lot of the games on the system you show the least interest in (the Wii). Games like No More Heroes, Scarface, House of the Dead: Overkill, and Mad World really seem like your type of games.

Wombat, why were you laughing like a maniac at the beginning of your interview? Good show, I'll echo others and say that Shipwreck is always a treat to have on the show.

[quote name='Zerostatic']I was listening to this episode on the way to work this morning and I had to turn it off. I am a PS3 and Wii owner and I enjoy both systems. I used to own a 360 but because Microsoft treated me like crap, I sold it and vowed to never support them (it's a long story but think RROD mixed with horrible customer service and you get the idea). When I listen to the CAGcast I honestly feel like I'm listenting to a 360 podcast which is forced to talk about the other system. This was almost ok early in the generation when the 360 really had the vast majority of the best games and the PS3 and Wii were sorely lacking. However, nowadays all 3 systems have healthy lineups with many interesting games and yet you would never think that from listening to the Cagcast. The general disdain, disinterest, and sarcastic criticism that surrounds everything Nintendo and Sony is really starting to become grating. Many general gaming sites/podcast/communities have moved past that stage (at least for the PS3, many of them still hate the Wii) but the CAGcast feels like it's suck in 2006/2007.

[/QUOTE]

I guess you missed the part where we gushed about Flower, or how the PS3 has been the only console I have been playing lately, mostly thanks to DeadSpace.

Totally agree about SFIV, Cheapy. Great game, but the online mode is a huge step back from HDR. The worst part is that it doesn't use GGPO netcode, which HDR has. It's a special online deal developed to minimize input lag.

And the music is just what I come to expect from a Japanese game these days...techno that sounds like its 10 years too late. I think the Japanese do great orchestral work in games, but man, as soon as they get into rock and techno (or god forbid, rap), it usually sounds old and/or corny. Of course, that's a huge generalization and not always true.

Anyway, I've read about how sometimes the Japanese and U.S. branches of Japanese companies don't communicate at all and SFIV seems to be a casualty of that. Capcom Japan just ignored HDRemix completely.

[quote name='Zerostatic']I was listening to this episode on the way to work this morning and I had to turn it off. I am a PS3 and Wii owner and I enjoy both systems. I used to own a 360 but because Microsoft treated me like crap, I sold it and vowed to never support them (it's a long story but think RROD mixed with horrible customer service and you get the idea). When I listen to the CAGcast I honestly feel like I'm listenting to a 360 podcast which is forced to talk about the other system. This was almost ok early in the generation when the 360 really had the vast majority of the best games and the PS3 and Wii were sorely lacking. However, nowadays all 3 systems have healthy lineups with many interesting games and yet you would never think that from listening to the Cagcast. The general disdain, disinterest, and sarcastic criticism that surrounds everything Nintendo and Sony is really starting to become grating. Many general gaming sites/podcast/communities have moved past that stage (at least for the PS3, many of them still hate the Wii) but the CAGcast feels like it's suck in 2006/2007.

Cheapy, put your 360 in a closet, dust off your PS3 and Wii and give them an honest shot, I bet you'd be surprised at how much fun you'll have. The funny thing is that given your gaming taste I think you'd actually enjoy a lot of the games on the system you show the least interest in (the Wii). Games like No More Heroes, Scarface, House of the Dead: Overkill, and Mad World really seem like your type of games.[/quote]

Cheapy's also stated in previous podcasts that he HAS tried to get together with CAGs and play online with them on the PS3... but ends up with people who don't have mics, or simply don't talk... :applause:

[quote name='Wombat']I guess you missed the part where we gushed about Flower, or how the PS3 has been the only console I have been playing lately, mostly thanks to DeadSpace.[/quote]I indeed did turn it off before that point so perhaps I should've held on a little longer. Though to be honest, you and shipwreck both have the open-minded attitude that I like in my podcasters, it's Cheapy who has the fanboy blinders on. Cheapy also does the outlines and selects the topics for the show and that is where the lop-sidedness effects everyone else.

Let me give you an example, think back on past discussions of XBLA, PSN, and Wii-ware games. Though the PSN games got a healthy amount of discussion this week this is usually not the case. With some of the high profile PS1 classics and interesting stuff like The Last Guy, LocoRoco Correcho, Linger in the Shadows you'd think these kinds of games would get discussed particularly because of their low price and the focus on being Cheap however many of these games get ignored while Braid gets more discussion then all of them combined. Don't even get me started on Wii-ware which gets almost completely ignored . . . where is the love for the Art Style Games, Bomberman Blast, Order Up, Lost Winds, etc.?

Meanwhile, almost anything even remotely significant gets released on Xbox Live Arcade and it gets mentioned.

I honestly don't think this is some mass conspiracy against the Nintendo and Sony, however I do think Cheapy is a 360 fanboy and though I know that word has a very negative connotation, to me it simply means someone who is a very big fan of a company/game/developer, so much so that sometimes their fandom interjects bias in places that they themselves don't realize. What does that mean? Well using the above example, I'd be willing to bet that Cheapy if asked would have guess that he gave nearly equal coverage to the downloadable games for all 3 platforms when in reality that wasn't the case, especially for Wii-ware which really does get ignored.

Cheapy's always been like that towards anything non Xbox. You should look up his videos he did for Bloomberg back in 04/05 when he was a regular contributor. He would freely bash the PS2 and deny anything on it

I have to agree with Wombat about KZ2. Look at the NPDs year over year. The fact that sales are down significantly this jan is telling. Sony should want every PS3 owner to milk this demo dry. They need to show people "This is why you bought a PS3" They need to air commercials, advertise in magazines like GQ and Maxim, they need to have billboards showing this game. And they need the demo to be freely available. Imagine how much it could help if they showed a commercial with intense action showcasing the amazing graphics and at the end they say "Killzone 2, Available exclusively on Playstation 3. Download the demo now" I'm willing to bet a whole bunch of people will be interested and download the demo. Seriously Sony, what the fuck.

Oh, you'll be able to get the demo, eventually. Just shut up, be patient, and wait for your turn. Oh, yeah, and stop being so demanding. You should stop bing a whiny crybaby and just be thankful for all the things Sony is already doing for you. ;)

Sorry, I thought I'd just give you the answer before BostonCoolerFan had a chance to shill for Sony.

And speaking of shilling, Zerostatic has a point about Cheapy. I'm not saying he's a fanboy, but he does have this tendency to just dismiss the PS3 and the Wii and focus almost entirely on the 360. If one of the goals of the Cagcast is to expand your listenership, you really need to put some work into your gameplaying. I know it just kills the romance to think of Videogame playing as work, but it really is your job to cover all 3 systems and not just play the current most popular 360 offerings.

We could talk about entire genres that get the cold shoulder as well because one of you just doesn't like that type of game. You're doing your audience a disservice with this kind of willful omission.

I feel like the point of the CAGcast is "dudes talking about games," not "critics analyzing each game that comes out from an objective viewpoint." That's why, even though I don't even own a 360, I still listen to the CAGcast and enjoy it. Even if the majority of the games the guys play are on the 360, they're still fun to hear about. Also, I feel like they criticize Microsoft's fuck-ups (like Wombat being on his 4th 360) as much as Nintendo's or Sony's.
Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck can't be all things to all gamers. They talk about the things they like, just like people listen to podcasts they like. If you don't like it, then don't listen. This constant bitching about "fairness" in content is ridiculous.

Discussing console wars and 'fanboyism" hardly ever leads to something productive, but here we go:

As a Wii owner, I love my Wii. I play it a lot, love both casual and hardcore games. That said, even though I'm looking forward to playing The Conduit, which will probably be awesome, I certainly can understand how Wombat would feel about the game, as I myself have ordered an Xbox 360 last week after playing a few games on it.

I think Wombat's opinion must be taken in context: as he said, is it a Wii shooter? Yes it is, and you can't really crucify him for not liking the Wii's FPS control scheme, and although The Conduit does look awesome for a Wii game, I can totally understand how a person who already could care less about the Wii (basically every Xbox 360 and PS3 owner who doesn't own one - not Wombat's case) probably won't even bother with it, just as they didn't really bother with other excellent Wii games, which is a shame IMO.

That said, Wombat is still my heroe for his funny and usually spot on additions to the CAGcast, Cheapy's laugh when he heard about the 300ish G.I. Joe collection from Shipwreck was awesome, and Shipwrecks basement story was very funny, and knowing he dated Ms. Shipwreck since he was 17 was really cute. Also, an extremely luck case that he got to marry a woman that not only likes videogames, is a veterinarian and likes nerdy stuff. Way to go Mr. Ship!

Good show indeed, cheapy do you not have a mute button?

I'm all for having fun and being goofy, but damn man hit the button when you have body sounds to make pls.

I'm use to the PS3 hate, I guess this is the 1st gamestop have a deal with a company to be the only place to get a demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat, why were you laughing like a maniac at the beginning of your interview? Good show, I'll echo others and say that Shipwreck is always a treat to have on the show.

bread's done
Back