CAGcast #150: Shipwreck Hates PS3, Killzone 2, and You!

Good show guys , I have to admit I am liking the 3 man show more.

I agree the Star Wars prequels sucked overall,
I do like EP3 l maybe even a tad more the Jedi but its a close call,
but I look at them a separate from the Original so not to taint my love.

I completely agree with you guys. What is Sony thinking? At a time like this they should be branching out to as many new customers for Killzone 2 as possible. Instead they made the wrong decision to take some money from GameStop upfront, rather than trying to make more profit off of the actual game. Not too bright Sony, especially for a franchise whose former game wasn't so hot (See Killzone).

[quote name='megma42']While listening to the talk about DC Universe, I just remembered that I hate Superman - every freaking super power known and invincible except for kyrptonite, also if he dies he comes back - whatever.[/quote] Ha! Yeah that was the problem with the Superman of the Silver Age of comics. I really liked when John Byrne rebooted the character in the 80s and made him more grounded. (Wombat knows what I'm talking about.) Unfortunately in the last couple of years DC Comics has brought him back up to god like levels after the Infinite Crisis event. Going to stop now before I stink up the place with too much nerd.

Thanks for answering my questions last show.

About turning CAG into Supersite - I hear ya on not being another Joystiq or Kotaku. I wouldn't want that either. Those guys do a fine job. I was thinking of something more like grabbing a news story from one of those sites and put the CAG spin on it. You could definitely do that with your blogs, but sometimes your blogs get lost in the shuffle. Would it be possible to have a section with Cheapy, Wombat, Ship's blogs? Your blogs would be a perfect place to include things that you couldn't fit on CAGcast or go into greater detail.

About Cheapy being humble– there’s a fine line between the giddy euphoria of another podcast mentioning you and sounding like an ungrateful douche. It’s hard to get that across over a podcast.

I agree 100% about your take on Sony. They are really frustrating. They have some incredible content on PSN and the PS3. I love that I can hook up my PSP to my PS3, too. I just like that I can do it even though it doesn’t really serve a purpose. Flower is absolutely mesmerizing. My kids and wife love it. They could play it all day. They are pushing the boundaries on a regular basis which is what the industry needs. But some of their moves haven't been exactly consumer friendly. You guys mentioned the no KZ2 demo for NA, then there's the Qore and Home bullshit - are they really charging for this shit...really..REALLY? They declare that they don’t need something like Netflix streaming, wha? Yes you do, jackass! They need some help and they need God of War 3 now, not a year from now.

Lost in the PS3 postings on this thread is Cheapy not talking about the console itself but a segment of the fanbase that's especially crazy and very vocal. Almost religious fanatics. The best example of this was the mail Adam Sessler got after reviewing Killzone 2. Keep in mind he gave the game 5/5. But the PS3 fanboys berated him for not liking more Sony games. F***ing hilarious!

All this oversensitive defensiveness comes from fear. Fear that they made wrong purchase choice. Fear that the PlayStation brand that they've identified with for so long is broken. Fear that they'll miss the great next thing while the other guys have the great next thing. Fear that the console's lifespan will be cut short.

Relax. The PS3 is a damn good console. It's got some great exclusives. It won the HD disc format war. It's not going away. Calm down.

I'm glad I'm grandfathered into the blockbuster plan with the two free game rental coupons. The best part is, I can keep the game for a month and only pay $1.25 in late fees. Too bad they don't offer that anymore though.

I totally agree with you guys on the KZ2 demo. I guess Sony thinks everyone that owns a console automatically wants the game and therefore doesn't need to release a free demo here.

Great show this week.

I loved the comment Wombat made about Ship's real name! Bob Good, perfect for a female. Had me laughing out loud.

Being a huge Howard fan I love when Cheapy brings stuff up from the Stern Show ala the Bababooie joke at the beginning. Way to fuck it up Ship.

Anyway. Great show.
100b

I still see half of CAG is retarded. Again, the game is going to be for sale for more than day one. Why the fuck does it matter that some people get it two weeks early as a bonus for pre-ordering? It doesn't. Anyone who wants it on day one is going to pre-order it. It's no different launching the demo the day it comes out or two weeks later except for day one sales.

NOTE TO CAG: GAMES ARE ON SALE FOR MORE THAN ONE DAY! GREAT IVORY!

Keep beating that drum CAG. While everyone who understand marketing and that games are on sale for more than a day live in the real world, you all can live in la-la land.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a resonable explanation as to why it matters that gamestop pre-order customers got a bonus compared to the demo coming out on the first day is losing sales. Here's a hint: It's not. It's not losing any sales. To internet adolescents who, as an above poster mentioned are afraid of another console, it loses sales, when in all reality it doesn't.

Agree 100% on the Killzone 2 Demo not being available to everyone in the USA to download. Definitely not a good way to promote your game. I know that they think that getting pre-orders will lead to increased sales, but it is not like the pre-order is binding. If you don't want the game you just ask for a refund since you probably only had to put down $5 for the pre-order.

I guess in the same way if you want to play the demo you can just go in and pre-order then cancel at a later date, but its too much legwork for me. If they don't release a demo prior to release, I'll just download it from the UK store or just go without.

Wow, lots of Killzone 2 flak here so I'll guess I'll add my 2 cents.

One of the main things in selling a product is to offer convenience to the customer. In fact, one of console gaming's selling points is convenience of plug-and-play compared to PC gaming. You want to make it as easy as possible to make your product known and experienced by as many people as possible, right? Since game demos are the norm in this generation, offering such exclusivity is really counter-productive if the purpose is promotion. Any "deal" with Gamestop was, in my opinion, a bad decision on Sony's part because it only alienates subsets of users who don't pre-order or go to Gamestop. This type of physical alienation isn't a good marketing decision in any circumstance.

Joining the exclusivity club can be good way to promote a game, but you have to make it convenient. Download this wallpaper, watch this video, or play the demo to join the Killzone hype club is a better way to get people to join your group, not go into Gamestop, lay down 5 dollars, go home, enter code, download demo. It's too many steps. Gamers are lazy, parents are lazy, kids are lazy.

And besides, If I'm pre-ordering a game, I want something other than a fucking demo. I'm going to be playing the damn game in 2 weeks, what the hell do I need a demo for if I'm already buying it? Give me something substantial that I can hang onto or put on my shelf, like a zelda compilation. Something with meaning is a much better driver of pre-orders than something that becomes worthless when the game comes out.

Instead of paying attention in my astronomy class. I am listening to the CAGCAST. Thank you for giving me something to do during this bullshit class.

wow, considering the small amount of KZ2 discussion in the podcast, i'm surprised at how much is being discussed here about it. i'll never understand why this game is hitting so many nerves.

and yes, demos are meant to be something for people to play before they buy. that is the whole point of demos.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I still see half of CAG is retarded. Again, the game is going to be for sale for more than day one. Why the fuck does it matter that some people get it two weeks early as a bonus for pre-ordering? It doesn't. Anyone who wants it on day one is going to pre-order it. It's no different launching the demo the day it comes out or two weeks later except for day one sales.

Keep beating that drum CAG. While everyone who understand marketing and that games are on sale for more than a day live in the real world, you all can live in la-la land.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a resonable explanation as to why it matters that gamestop pre-order customers got a bonus compared to the demo coming out on the first day is losing sales. Here's a hint: It's not. It's not losing any sales. To internet adolescents who, as an above poster mentioned are afraid of another console, it loses sales, when in all reality it doesn't.[/quote]
Honestly don't bother. So many of the responses are just willingly ignoring certain things in order to agree with what was said in the podcast. It's really not worth the energy. Once release passes I don't think rational people will have any problems. As for Sony, they'll get the same amount of money for the game after release as before it.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']I still see half of CAG is retarded. Again, the game is going to be for sale for more than day one. Why the fuck does it matter that some people get it two weeks early as a bonus for pre-ordering? It doesn't. Anyone who wants it on day one is going to pre-order it. It's no different launching the demo the day it comes out or two weeks later except for day one sales.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a resonable explanation as to why it matters that gamestop pre-order customers got a bonus compared to the demo coming out on the first day is losing sales. Here's a hint: It's not. It's not losing any sales. To internet adolescents who, as an above poster mentioned are afraid of another console, it loses sales, when in all reality it doesn't.[/quote]

In most cases, meaning if you aren't Nintendo, more than half of your gamer sales are going to be in the launch window of the game. Meaning, if Killzone 2 doesn't hit big during its first week, it''s probably not going to be the hit that everyone wants it to be.

Demo's sell games, just look at what the Bioshock demo did for that game. It sold copies to people who never even heard of the game. You underestimate the power of a demo to swoon non-customers.

I have to agree with Wombat playstation NEEDS a hit game. To take one of the biggest games they have at the moment and possibly one of the biggest games for the console advertising wise, to limit the demo to preorders only has to be the most retarded thing they can do. People have to play the game to decide if they want to spend $60 on it, specially with the economy now. Not allowing me to play the demo tells me the game isn't finished or that it sucks, when you make something special you want to share it with everyone, even if it's 5 minutes of gameplay you want them to see it.

I really do wish the PS3 dies.

Congratulations on 150 episodes!
This episode was great, especially the part about your wives.

Shipwreck, you really need to post pictures or a video of your legendary basement.

I'd love to sign up for Netflix, but to even get the trial activated it asks for an american credit card (I'm in Canada).

Is there any way around having to use an american credit card, or is there a way to obtain one as a Canadian citizen?

Wombat, I understand your story with the actor. I have a somewhat similar story.

Back in 1999, my buddy Joel and I won tickets to the Final Four. While we were waiting in the will call line for our tickets, Joel saw a guy who kinda looked familiar to him. "Dude, it's Kirk Herbstreit!" he said, as if I knew who he was (I didn't as the time; I didn't watch College GameDay). So, Joel handed his camera to somebody and got his pic taken with Herbstreit, and I still had no clue.

[quote name='usickenme']This episode need to be renamed.

Wombat hates the Wii and pretty much everything except free stuff.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't the Wii just be included in the "pretty much everything" and for the record I have hated some free stuff, I played Haze, Jericho and Turok.

So maybe just "Wombat hates pretty much everything"

Wombat I've been wondering. Have you gotten a real home theater setup yet or what? I mean the way you relentlessly bash the PS3 when I noted there are definitely some PS3 games out there 3rd party on both systems that have 7.1 PCM while the 360 version obviously does not. I just don't understand why you wouldn't buy said versions of games, all things being equal. I even listed it under the uncompressed audio games list.
I only wish I could find more info on the games that are even 5.1 PCM.

[quote name='TruthinessFC']Honestly don't bother. So many of the responses are just willingly ignoring certain things in order to agree with what was said in the podcast. It's really not worth the energy. Once release passes I don't think rational people will have any problems. As for Sony, they'll get the same amount of money for the game after release as before it.[/quote]

Ya, it isn't worth the argument.

This basically sums up the idiocy in this thread:
I have to agree with Wombat playstation NEEDS a hit game. To take one of the biggest games they have at the moment and possibly one of the biggest games for the console advertising wise, to limit the demo to preorders only has to be the most retarded thing they can do. People have to play the game to decide if they want to spend $60 on it, specially with the economy now. Not allowing me to play the demo tells me the game isn't finished or that it sucks, when you make something special you want to share it with everyone, even if it's 5 minutes of gameplay you want them to see it.

I really do wish the PS3 dies.

:applause:Way to go you!

[quote name='Sarang01']Wombat I've been wondering. Have you gotten a real home theater setup yet or what? I mean the way you relentlessly bash the PS3 when I noted there are definitely some PS3 games out there 3rd party on both systems that have 7.1 PCM while the 360 version obviously does not. I just don't understand why you wouldn't buy said versions of games, all things being equal. I even listed it under the uncompressed audio games list.
I only wish I could find more info on the games that are even 5.1 PCM.[/QUOTE]

I know I shouldn't reply to this but here goes.

If you listened to the show, which you obviously didn't, you would have heard the story about my new headphones. You also seemed to miss the parts when I mention the PS3 is system I am playing the most right now. Or how many times in the past I have said that it is a great console. My only gripe is with the way they market the product, not the product itself. In fact if I didn't like the PS3 then I wouldn't care how they market it, but I do care because I want it to succeed. So do not say I "relentlessly bash" the PS3.

And most of my 3rd party game decisions are based on two things:

What console will my friends be playing on, so I can play with them

What console with have DLC that I may want in the future

The difference between 7.1 or 5.1 wouldn't be enough as I rather play online with Shippy and Cheapy then enjoy the lush sounds by myself.

[quote name='SnotRocket']I have to agree with Wombat playstation NEEDS a hit game. To take one of the biggest games they have at the moment and possibly one of the biggest games for the console advertising wise, to limit the demo to preorders only has to be the most retarded thing they can do. People have to play the game to decide if they want to spend $60 on it, specially with the economy now. Not allowing me to play the demo tells me the game isn't finished or that it sucks, when you make something special you want to share it with everyone, even if it's 5 minutes of gameplay you want them to see it.

I really do wish the PS3 dies.[/quote]

I agree with your statement, except for the last sentence. Giving demos away for pre-orders is so last gen. Having outlets such as X-Box Live and Playstation Network there should be no reason to have a demo as a pre-order incentive. Especially since the first Killzone was just average and is not considered a huge Brand for Playstation yet.

Also, Wombat's interview at the end was interesting, though the guy seemed to be such a big deush. "Going back to console FPS, we find a struggle after playing our game...". Well, what do you tell to the compulsive must masterbate eight times a day guy who spends all of his wrist action on his hobby? They do not have the strength to hold up the wii-remote and shoot. They would rather be shooting something else out...Wombat's last question the guy seemed to sound like JD Harmeires roomate with all the stuttering he was doing. Wombat had good questions, but the guy was really under knowledge. Halo being the first console FPS game that people noticed? No dipshit, how about Goldeneye for the 64? What a deush.....

*last paragraph may be to harsh, had Killzone 2 in my hands and rejected at cash register. The manager even tried to over ride but she could not do it....oh well, would have been great to get early. Got in my car and all that was left to hear was the interview. Not mad that I did not get the game, but being so close like that with the manager trying to override....so, so close, just like the cards in the Super Bowl disapointment again....

[quote name='SnotRocket']I have to agree with Wombat playstation NEEDS a hit game. To take one of the biggest games they have at the moment and possibly one of the biggest games for the console advertising wise, to limit the demo to preorders only has to be the most retarded thing they can do. People have to play the game to decide if they want to spend $60 on it, specially with the economy now. Not allowing me to play the demo tells me the game isn't finished or that it sucks, when you make something special you want to share it with everyone, even if it's 5 minutes of gameplay you want them to see it.

I really do wish the PS3 dies.[/QUOTE]

I certainly don't want the PS3 to die, especially since I just paid $400 for one. But the ineptness of Sony's marketing is mind-boggling. It's almost like they're trying to be #3.

I watch a lot of TV and I haven't seen ONE commercial for Killzone yet. Hell, I can't even remember the last time I saw a commercial for the PS3. Yet they keep sending me these slick heavy card stock mailers every other month and I keep throwing them away becuase they're useless. At least last generation they had Best Buy coupons in them. I don't understand why they didn't keep pushing Little Big Planet either. What a great game to cash in on for the current "family entertainment" craze.

Has anyone heard of a Killzone Bundle? Not me. Did they do a LBP bundle ? Nope. Way to go Sony, way to tie your flagship brand to an anchor instead of trying to create some excitement in the market. I know, lets just cater to the fanatic Kojima fans, put out MGS4 and a bundle for that and hope for the best - and fuck everybody else for not buying a PS3. I just don't understand the logic. Promotion, promotion, promotion. It's all about promotion. Nobody's going to buy your shit if you don't even seem excited to be selling it yourself. Just compare any interview or tradeshow presentation between Sony and Nintendo. Nintendo reeks with arrogance and excitement. Sony just reeks, you can tell that none of them really believe in their product enough to be happy about it.

There's a Killzone 2 ad about to go live soon and it totally owns.
http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/02/19/americas-30-second-killzone-2-commercial/

Actually, there was an article once (can't remember where I saw it, I posted it around CAG) which shows that offering a demo actually hurts sales. Games without demos tend to sell better. What sells a game is marketing, and KZ2 has an awesome commercial that should help.

For those who live in Europe, they are getting the KZ2 demo anyway (and PS3 actually has a bigger userbase in Europe too).

The number of people whining/complaining the KZ2 GS demo is very insignificant anyway. It's like it will seem at forums that certain niche games are selling very well based on the popularity, but when you look at overall sales, it didn't sell too well.

Wombat hates the Wii? Good for Wombat! I also hate the Wii. All I ever seem to turn the thing on for is Virtual Console games. I would sell the thing, but the moment I do, my 360 will red ring. Murphy's Law FTL!

[quote name='The Mana Knight']There's a Killzone 2 ad about to go live soon and it totally owns.
http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/02/19/americas-30-second-killzone-2-commercial/

Actually, there was an article once (can't remember where I saw it, I posted it around CAG) which shows that offering a demo actually hurts sales. Games without demos tend to sell better. What sells a game is marketing, and KZ2 has an awesome commercial that should help.

For those who live in Europe, they are getting the KZ2 demo anyway (and PS3 actually has a bigger userbase in Europe too).

The number of people whining/complaining the KZ2 GS demo is very insignificant anyway. It's like it will seem at forums that certain niche games are selling very well based on the popularity, but when you look at overall sales, it didn't sell too well.[/QUOTE]

We call this the GAF>>>>>Internet>>>>GAF effect, meaning, small communities who really think they influence anything are in mad denial. It's also the biggest problem I have with these communities who think that they're sooooo important when in reality, no one cares outside of their internet circle.

Also, I find it funny that tormentoso (or however you spell his name) is a household name on GAF now.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']For watching alot of TV, you sure missed the multimillion dollar commercial they produced for the Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

They had a Super Bowl ad? I don't remember seeing one.

I do see that one where quick cuts of games are projected on buildings and then they show Batman projected on a building. I call that one "Hey, it's Batman!" because I think that's the only thing the general public can identify in that commercial.

Wombat, what is up wit the massive hard on for Dead Space? Did you get that game for free or something? Perfect game? No way in hell Dead Space is a perfect game. Dead Space is an amazing game.... if you only play the first couple of chapters. Everything after that is repetitive as hell and around Chapter 7 you can pretty much guess the ending to the game. The story sucked and was a huge let down. I also don't get why so many people thought that game was so scary. I'm a huge pussy and I didn't even find Dead Space to be all that frightening. To me Dead Space was one of the most overrated games of 2008.

Killzone should be a great game, but I don't think it's going to sell Gears type numbers. Sony doesn't know how to market their games. All they do is those stupid ass commercials with a bunch of trendy people playing PSPs and game videos playing on their shirts. Their commercials suck. Shipwreck, I can't remember if you said you were going to buy it or not, but cmon man. You buy all those crappy games no one cares about. The least you could do is pick up what is probably going to be one of the biggest PS3 games of the year.

The problem with the PS3 is that it costs too much, and Sony doesn't know how to market the games it has. I think if PS3 was the same exact price as the 360, it would be kicking the shit out of it sales wise. Why would someone pay more for a system that does the same exact thing as the other guys do? I think the PS3 still hasn't gotten past the bad image it has had since it's launched, and that's a huge problem. Everyone just automatically dismisses the system. The typical exuse is "oh I'm waiting for good games". If you haven't found one by now, you're not ever going to find one. I don't know what more they have to do in that department. It's not like the 360 is the land of milk and honey like the PS2 was. Both basically have the same exact games. There are also way too many people who think if a PS3 game doesn't sell 10 million copies, it's an automatic failure.

Last edited:
[quote name='shipwreck']They had a Super Bowl ad? I don't remember seeing one.

I do see that one where quick cuts of games are projected on buildings and then they show Batman projected on a building. I call that one "Hey, it's Batman!" because I think that's the only thing the general public can identify in that commercial.[/QUOTE]

Please be informed.

The article that I read recently was:

http://www.unigamesity.com/debate-are-game-demos-game-killers/

And if you read that article all the way to the end the conclusion is mixed; As the author, Calin, references both the successes and failures of game demos and how it's a mixed bag. Whereas FPS titles with good demos and reviews like Halo 3 & COD4 do well whereas other types (genres) of games (LBP namely) even with positive reviews and good demos do less than stellar. Obviously FPSs with marginal demos and critical reviews (BF:BC) or bad demos (HAZE) do poorly. [All published titles compared here were picked by the author, not by me]. He juxtaposes those titles with huge franchise hits without demos IE MGS4, GTA:IV where a demo could only do harm to the title as it would sell regardless. So the basis for any conclusion based on that is suspect at best and could go eitherway.

And wasn't that Killzone 2 ad you posted proven to be both fan-made and vapor, in the sense that it never aired. The one Ship referenced was the only one I saw.

[quote name='mykevermin']beta ain't a demo.[/quote]
Absolutely true, and the article barely (if at all) differentiates between the two (and it also ignores the Metal Gear Online beta, perhaps rightly so- but it does include the Halo 3 beta, CoD4 beta- which had a demo). Ergo, that article is about as valid as the bandwidth it occupies.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']The article that I read recently was:

http://www.unigamesity.com/debate-are-game-demos-game-killers/

And if you read that article all the way to the end the conclusion is mixed; As the author, Calin, references both the successes and failures of game demos and how it's a mixed bag. Whereas FPS titles with good demos and reviews like Halo 3 & COD4 do well whereas other types (genres) of games (LBP namely) even with positive reviews and good demos do less than stellar. Obviously FPSs with marginal demos and critical reviews (BF:BC) or bad demos (HAZE) do poorly. [All published titles compared here were picked by the author, not by me]. He juxtaposes those titles with huge franchise hits without demos IE MGS4, GTA:IV where a demo could only do harm to the title as it would sell regardless. So the basis for any conclusion based on that is suspect at best and could go eitherway.

And wasn't that Killzone 2 ad you posted proven to be both fan-made and vapor, in the sense that it never aired. The one Ship referenced was the only one I saw.[/QUOTE]

Weird, thought it aired. Guess my Super Bowl night is a little hazier than I thought. Either way, they're putting out a full marketing plan in the next few days, so it doesn't matter anyways that they didn't advertise for the past week or so, as again, the only people who care are the people who are getting it day one, but - again- games are on sale for more than one day.

And are you really that dumb h3ll? Have you missed the posts where we said the demo's going to be available day one it's out?

Matter of fact, you didn't even understand the logistics of influenzing pre-orders last night, so I highly doubt you understand the concept of "bonus".

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Actually, there was an article once (can't remember where I saw it, I posted it around CAG) which shows that offering a demo actually hurts sales. Games without demos tend to sell better...[/QUOTE]

Don't believe everything you read. Personally I think Sony is dropping the ball by not providing more demos. Flower is a perfect example, it doesn't sound like a game I would like, but if there was a demo, I would definitely give it a try and possible buy the game. Sans demo, I'll pass. I like to "try before I buy" and I don't think I'm alone.

It's time for me to go NUTS and BOLT out of here...

Now Playing
:ps3: Burnout Paradise
:360: Call of Cthulhu

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']
And are you really that dumb h3ll? Have you missed the posts where we said the demo's going to be available day one it's out?

Matter of fact, you didn't even understand the logistics of influenzing pre-orders last night, so I highly doubt you understand the concept of "bonus".[/quote]

Again, you have pointed it out multiple times, and we have collectively addressed it. You don't like our point so you ignore it and restate the same thing over and over again ad nauseum.

We are talking specifically about the potential negative effect on the launch and how that effects the game vis-à-vis it's overall success. And again- how you manage to rationlize a demonstraion for a game you just purchased (you own therefore you don't need to demo it) as a "bonus" is illogical at best- the concept is oxymoronic.

As for your ad hominem attacks: I guess that is probably more telling of your argument's logical foundation than your personal intellect, let's hope so.

"Influenzing" is that marketing speak for a viral marketing impression, seriously not screwing with-you I have never heard that term.

You keep saying it hurts Sony, but as myself and many others have said, please tell us how. We've showed examples, told you why it doesn't matter, but you and your posse just keep trying to beat a dead horse.

But whatever, you probably don't even own a PS3, so your opinion is essentially null as the demo nor the game has any effect on you, which makes me ask, Why do you care?

I agree that Sony ought to work to provide more demos. More than a few times this generation I've decided to buy or not buy a game I was on the fence about based on how the demo played. All PS3s come with a harddrive and the PS store is available to everybody, so why not give us demos to try games before they are released? Of course, that being said I bought less games than I would have usually thanks to the demos :D

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']You keep saying it hurts Sony, but as myself and many others have said, please tell us how. We've showed examples, told you why it doesn't matter, but you and your posse just keep trying to beat a dead horse.

But whatever, you probably don't even own a PS3, so your opinion is essentially null as the demo nor the game has any effect on you, which makes me ask, Why do you care?[/quote]

I own an original 60gb launch model (do you need me to snap a pic with my phone?) I was an early adopter.
I like this game and want it to succeed.
The concern is not hurting Sony so much as it is damaging a potentially great game , re-innovated IP, and helping resurrect a floundering console that by all accounts should be much more successful with a weak launch of what should be a banner AAA title.

No, I take your word for it, I just didnt see a PSN tag under your name and assumed. And yeah I want the game to succeed too (actually I couldn't care less), but the demo is not the problem. Again, the people who want the game on day one, likely put down a pre-order, and they go to Gamestop to use that because they can get a demo.

If the video game world relied on day one sales I can see how this would be a problem, but it's not. The demo is coming out the day before/day of the game releases, and anyone who was unsure about it on day one, can play the demo on day one and pick it up on day two. It doesn't hurt anyone.

I also have a Wii, that's not listed either. None of the consoles in my play-room/family room have their tag's/usernames/codes plastered on the internet. The 360 in the den is different as it has limited access.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']It doesn't hurt anyone.[/quote]
Many of us fervently disagree.

Why can't you wait until release day to play the demo? Is not getting the game on day one really a big problem to you? FFS you can still get it on day one, you can grab the demo in the morning.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Why can't you wait until release day to play the demo? Is not getting the game on day one really a big problem to you? FFS you can still get it on day one, you can grab the demo in the morning.[/quote]

I am not talking about me (nor is anyone else criticizing this move), but the more casual gaming public at large. Anyone on CAG who wants the demo can easily get it right now.

It's the those week one sales numbers for a Friday launch that worry many of us and they hinge heavily on day 1 & 2- with the overwhelming plurality of the sales of a big AAA title launch happening in the first week. Do you want to see 230K sales in the first week (R2) or 1.3-2.8 million?

The mass public know that Gamestop have a demo. They do not care about it on PSN. If they want it, and want Killzone enough on day one they'll pre-order it. Again, thinking CAG and GAF are representated of the gaming public is wrong. The average gamer goes into a gamestop and asks them "whats coming out" and they go "Oh Killzone is. If you pre-order it you get a demo of the game". No casual gamer goes and cries because there's not a demo on PSN. for two weeks prior to release. You guys are making bullshit and false assumptions like they're members only jackets circa 1985.

Plus Sony has already said they've had around a million pre-orders for it worldwide. And anyone who doesn't buy it on day one, can download the demo on day one and get it on day two, contributing to the week one sales.

So again, why does this matter?

bread's done
Back