CAGcast #225: PS3 Blood Libel

I was angry when listening the PS3 bashing and Xbox ass licking. But when they made their points straight, I can't disagree they have some points right to critic the PS3 and 360 flaws. But at the end of the day, they sound somewhat bias, because they have the right to have favorites. No matter what the guys say o do, once you critic a camps console, they will go blind on rage and troll without even gaving a chance to listening to reason. It's simple, there are thounsands of podcast out there, unsubscribe if you can't stand the Cagcast and look for new fanboy podcast to fill that time, simple.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
...And where the heck is Rare? They made so many good/solid games, left Nintendo with the IMO completely awesome Starfox Adventures, and then hardly did anything.

I want more platformers! I want more random weird stuff Rare is known for! I do NOT want them wasting time on Miis and Project Shitbox 'games'.

[/QUOTE]

I'm in complete agreement about Rare. They've made some of my favorite games in the SNES/N64 years. However, they've been completely mishandled by Microsoft.

Conker: Live and Reloaded was awesome and Kameo was my favorite launch Xbox 360 game, but other than that they have not been allowed to make their games under Microsoft. Microsoft has been so focused by trying to use them to make family friendly games and avatar stuff that they have not been allowed to make the kind of games I have known and love from Rare.

What Microsoft has done to Rare makes me sad. They should let them go nuts, they should not be forced to peddle fake clothes on the Avatar marketplace.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I'm in complete agreement about Rare. They've made some of my favorite games in the SNES/N64 years. However, they've been completely mishandled by Microsoft.

Conker: Live and Reloaded was awesome and Kameo was my favorite launch Xbox 360 game, but other than that they have not been allowed to make their games under Microsoft. Microsoft has been so focused by trying to use them to make family friendly games and avatar stuff that they have not been allowed to make the kind of games I have known and love from Rare.

What Microsoft has done to Rare makes me sad. They should let them go nuts, they should not be forced to peddle fake clothes on the Avatar marketplace.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure about this Rare had carte blanche at Ms. I have to fault rare more than Ms. I cannot see Ms not giving rare anything they wanted. By the way I am the only one that liked grabbed by the ghoulies. LOL

It's one thing to have a platform preference and it's another thing to be oblivious to the fact that your 360 exclusive of the year isn't platform exclusive to the 360 in 2010 and isn't even console exclusive come 2011.

I know that that is splitting hairs but it really is quite telling of not just a platform preference but of having blinders on when it comes to games which are not on the 360.

It was an oversight and a mistake and totally and completely forgivable but it is also quite detrimental to the cause of buying good games where ever they live simply because they are good games. (especially when the argument could be made in specific regard to Mass Effect 2 being better on the PC due to more powerful hardware and possibly even better on the PS3 due to the use of the Mass Effect 3 engine)

Wax philosophical: This site is about being a smart and well-informed consumer when it comes to video games. On that note you can type 'Mass Effect 2' into the site search and easily see that there are entries for both the PC and the PS3 versions. You don't even have to Google it...just use this very site. You don't think that that oversight is just a wee bit sad?

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']It's one thing to have a platform preference and it's another thing to be oblivious to the fact that your 360 exclusive of the year isn't platform exclusive to the 360 in 2010 and isn't even console exclusive come 2011.

I know that that is splitting hairs but it really is quite telling of not just a platform preference but of having blinders on when it comes to games which are not on the 360.

It was an oversight and a mistake and totally and completely forgivable but it is also quite detrimental to the cause of buying good games where ever they live simply because they are good games. (especially when the argument could be made in specific regard to Mass Effect 2 being better on the PC due to more powerful hardware and possibly even better on the PS3 due to the use of the Mass Effect 3 engine)

Wax philosophical: This site is about being a smart and well-informed consumer when it comes to video games. On that note you can type 'Mass Effect 2' into the site search and easily see that there are entries for both the PC and the PS3 versions. You don't even have to Google it...just use this very site. You don't think that that oversight is just a wee bit sad?[/QUOTE]

It wasn't an oversight. We don't really play PC games so it doesn't make since to include them in our favorite games of 2010. We've always done the yearly awards based on console exclusivity. In 2010, Mass Effect 2 was a 360 console exclusive and was certainly eligible for our favorite Xbox 360 game. At the end of the day, does it really matter that much? Do you really think I don't know that it was on the PC and is coming out next week for PlayStation 3? Heck, if you even listen to our Favorites of 2010 show I even went out of the way to ask what everyone's favorite Xbox 360 game would be if we disqualified Mass Effect 2.

One could argue that the term exclusive negates the qualifier of console placed before it. I know that it's splitting hairs and that it's petty but come on it was day and date on Windows and 360.

My concern is mainly with this being a website based around consumerism which inevitably leads to someone with multiple platforms wanting the best possible version for the least amount of money. Apply that to the fact that PC versions are often the best versions and generally $10 cheaper at release and you can see how it's a concern.

edit: I guess what I'm saying is that if the website is Cheap Ass Gamer then the term gamer in the title should not only apply to the website but also to the podcast. To many there appears to be a disconnect between the website which is a database for many platforms and the podcast which generally showcases mostly one platform while sometimes going as far as to dismiss other current platforms.

While I don't share in the sentiment that you guys are biased nor am I going to stop listening to a podcast which I thoroughly enjoy, I can understand users being disenchanted with a podcast which purports itself to be for all gamers when it's really mostly for 360 gamers and sometimes covers other platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys said we need a game that people would buy a ps3 for, and an action rpg for the ps3, that game should be Kingdom Hearts 3.

It was 4 years between when Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 came out, and it been FIVE years since kingdom hearts 2 came out. All fans are getting from this series is a bunch of spin off titles that does little to contribute to the MAIN story, and have so little play value to begin with.

I played 358/2 days and was disappointed, and I didn't even finish birth by sleep because I didn't want to play through the game 3 times to know the story. It seems like the other games are just KH1 remakes for handhelds. Why is the development of this game taking so long?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about the console war.
In my opinion, the three hosts of this show showed complete and utter contempt and disrespect towards the PS3 this episode.
I felt great hurt when comment after comment was slammed into both my earbuds and my psyche.
I wish great misery towards Shipwreck from this point further.
We all know Cheapy is just being Cheapy, and Wombat......well......come on now.......really......
I am a loyal fan, but this episode really enraged my soul.
I felt personal pain that cannot be explained. I never thought of myself as a fanboy, and still don't, but if comments like the ones heard on this episode create such negative emotions capable of mentally crippling me for hours, am I not a fanboy?

Does anyone else think Kingdom Hearts 3 would boost sales at this point though?
I know I would buy a ps3 when it comes out, but do you think they lost a lot of their other fans by dabbling too much in the handheld market?

great show as always,

it be great if the cagbag and feedback part of the show were longer , its IMO the best part of this show. i find its always getting rushed and only about 3 questions are answered each show :(

anyone that says those 360 exclusives are no longer exclusive because they were on a pc are fanboys just looking to belittle the 360s exclusive lineup.

While some other comments have mentioned it in passing, I think looking at PS3 game sales for the first two years of the system's life isn't the same as looking at current sales due to the relative lack of software for the PS3 during the early stage. This helps explain (along with it being packed in a good number of systems) why Motorstorm's 1 (and others like resistance 1) sales were so large...There simply wasn't a ton of competition and people are going are always going to buy a few games when they've just got a new system (esp. if they wealthy enough to throw down $600-500 for a new system). So Sony's first party games they weren't competing against Black Ops but rather things like Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire. Also many of these games were in the first batch of greatest hits PS3 games that came out a few months before the 40GB model when the PS3 system sales started to climb up, so that also likely pushed their numbers a bit more as well.

Likewise, Sony is also much more a global market to worry about than MS does. I imagine one of the reasons why they are still supporting something like Motorstorm is that is a game that can be sold everywhere with only minor language modifications and isn't going to run into regional issues about violence or content…And looking at the sales data, it appears that Motorstorm does alot better outside the US than in the US.

Its common knowledge that the mods of this site are extremely biased to the 360. Nothing you can do when they've been brainwashed to believe that nothing other then 360 games have any worth. I have a 360, been on xbox live for almost 4 years, ive had a ps3 since launch and ive played the majority of the major online games on both platforms. If you're like most people and play call of duty online, there is absolutely 0 difference.

The thing that seperates them is party chat and the fact that one of them is paid to play online. MS positions itself to be more social, jump online, get in a party with a few people and talk bull while playing games. I think thats idiotic and part of the problem with the Facebook generation right now. I dont need to talk about whatever with others while playing games, im playing a game to play it.

I realize a lot of people value chatting online quite a bit, and thats their choice. Im lucky enough to not be so needy of attention that i have to go online and talk to people i dont know in real life. If i know someone in real life, i call them. Anyway, cheapy is super biased and doesnt hide it. Im sure MS takes care of him very well. They always go out of their way to get site owners to be on their side.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Its common knowledge that the mods of this site are extremely biased to the 360. Nothing you can do when they've been brainwashed to believe that nothing other then 360 games have any worth. I have a 360, been on xbox live for almost 4 years, ive had a ps3 since launch and ive played the majority of the major online games on both platforms. If you're like most people and play call of duty online, there is absolutely 0 difference.

The thing that seperates them is party chat and the fact that one of them is paid to play online. MS positions itself to be more social, jump online, get in a party with a few people and talk bull while playing games. I think thats idiotic and part of the problem with the Facebook generation right now. I dont need to talk about whatever with others while playing games, im playing a game to play it.

I realize a lot of people value chatting online quite a bit, and thats their choice. Im lucky enough to not be so needy of attention that i have to go online and talk to people i dont know in real life. If i know someone in real life, i call them. Anyway, cheapy is super biased and doesnt hide it. Im sure MS takes care of him very well. They always go out of their way to get site owners to be on their side.[/QUOTE]

i see your point and i raise you one argument which is the reason why you dont like party chat feature which is , you dont have many friends in real life with xboxes. i know about 30 people in real life that own xboxes and i keep my friends list only to RL friends so theres always someone online i chat with since they are an actual friend.. your argument about calling someone on the phone is exactly what a ps3 owner would say to make up for the lack of cross game chat. what i just dont get is why theres no voice messages on psn, xbox 1 had voice messages theres just no excuse.

IMO the ps3 is better in almost every way to the 360. lineup , exclusives , hardware and value. however the online just cant be underestimated in todays age and is the only reason why i put up with MS and all there price gouging on live and the marketplace. clearly its too late for sony to implement in game music and cross game chat into the console so sony really needs to step up their game with the ps4 because the way things are going with microsofts direction in the 360 i dont want any part in the xbox 720.

its just what comes with power. we've created a monster and now the thanks we get is 60$ for live and all XBLA games for 15$. i can only imagine how itll be when the 720 comes out.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Its common knowledge that the mods of this site are extremely biased to the 360. Nothing you can do when they've been brainwashed to believe that nothing other then 360 games have any worth. I have a 360, been on xbox live for almost 4 years, ive had a ps3 since launch and ive played the majority of the major online games on both platforms. If you're like most people and play call of duty online, there is absolutely 0 difference.

I realize a lot of people value chatting online quite a bit, and thats their choice. Im lucky enough to not be so needy of attention that i have to go online and talk to people i dont know in real life. If i know someone in real life, i call them. Anyway, cheapy is super biased and doesnt hide it. Im sure MS takes care of him very well. They always go out of their way to get site owners to be on their side.[/QUOTE]

I agree with what he is saying about all the 360 Bias and i have been listening to the show for a long time now and its usually all about the 360. Ship has been talking about all the Ip's that sony has and how they need to cut down yea maybe they don't all put up Call of Duty numbers but hey news flash not everyone likes call of duty. Battlefield is great game as well you can't consider everything due to the sales you need to look and some of the community as well. The Socom Community is huge and socom 4 will be good and MAG did give the socom people something to play while waiting. I do believe that sony does have some badass titles coming out in 2011.

Xbox owners you have some good games as well i do own both consoles and i have for a long time. But next year they have forza 4, and gears 3 which i hope they fix the multiplayer for gears 3 becuase the issues with gears 2 might push others away. But yes Microsoft will still sell a ton of units and i think Sony will have a really good year killzone 3 will sell like crazy and i think Infamous 2 will be amazing and uncharted 3 will sell some ps3's as well.

I think some people need to grow up, just because someone prefers one system over another doesn't mean they are "fanboys"!

All 3 presenters have PS3's (and 360's) and regularly play on them so I think they are well qualified to express an opinion as to wish ecosystem they prefer, can the people calling them names honestly say the same thing or is it fact they who are the "fanboys"?

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']It's one thing to have a platform preference and it's another thing to be oblivious to the fact that your 360 exclusive of the year isn't platform exclusive to the 360 in 2010 and isn't even console exclusive come 2011.

Wax philosophical: This site is about being a smart and well-informed consumer when it comes to video games. On that note you can type 'Mass Effect 2' into the site search and easily see that there are entries for both the PC and the PS3 versions. You don't even have to Google it...just use this very site. You don't think that that oversight is just a wee bit sad?[/QUOTE]

Er not really it's a console focused show and the PS3 version was not out in 2010 however reading this post makes me thing something else is though..

[quote name='shipwreck']... A lot of the 2011 exclusives on the PS3 are rehashes. Many of those compete in the same space as Call of Duty (which you admit is tough to compete against). Of those games competing in that space only Killzone has shown positive growth from one release to the next. There was a significant drop in sales between Resistance 1 & 2 and SOCOM has sold less and less with each release dating back to the original game. All I'm saying is maybe some of the huge budgets that are invested in these games that aren't gaining a new audience could be used to pursue a new path. Something Sony could really put some push behind rather than treading water with several okay franchises that are only appealing to current PlayStation 3 owners. And less and less of those owners are buying the sequels. Sony is biding time with their current practices rather than truly attacking the market with some gusto and it's aggravating to watch.[/QUOTE]

Your discussion of the PS3 line-up kind of had the opposite effect on me :D I was thinking "Wow, the PS3 is going to have a great year!" It doesnt matter if their games dont sell as much as Call of Duty, as they get a slice of that anyway. In fact I think hega hits like CoD maybe a slight negative for the industry as a whole, as it takes money away from more interesting games (but thats another whole discussion ;)).

Why all the focus on "growth" and "market share" and all that marketing stuff tho? They've sold over 40 million systems world wide ... that's an unqualified success. As long as they keep putting out good games that make a profit then they are being successful. Who cares if they could be doing more to attract new gamers? Would the world really be a better place if they cancelled the team Ico games or LBP or Yakuza to concentrate on appealing to more frat boys? :cry:

I remember the discussion you guys had about more of the same is not necessarily a bad thing. Sorry to belabor the point but as long as the games are good and make a profit its a win for everyone. And often sequals can be made for less money than the original, as the engine is already there so they can appeal to a more niche audience and still make a profit. I actually hope that the future of the PS3 is in more niche titles as that's more interesting to me.

I'm very interested in reading your thoughts.

Keep up the good work! :bouncy:

Respectfully,
Alex

Good show guys. Shipwreck's fudge would be corny, like most of his jokes. Discussion on PS3 was spot on; every year is the year PS3 will dominate and it hasn't happened. Kevin Butler needs to take his smugness and go Home. Yes i said it. :)

Wombat, completely agree on Archer, one of the funniest shows on TV.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Its common knowledge that the mods of this site are extremely biased to the 360. [/QUOTE]

I completely disagree, but I just wanted to highlight someone who knows how/when to used "biased" instead of "bias". :)

Wow, I did not know that the communist moved from the USSR to Ohio!! What kind of narsasistic individual take it upon themselves to tell Sony and their fans to quit making so many exclusives and actually give us less choices? I give Sony much credit for actually securing great studios. Microsoft just sold the majority of their studios and pays for timed exclusives whether that be for download packs for Call of Duty or a three month game exclusive. If they created their own franchises it would help competition between the two consoles. I mean all they have to offer is Halo, Crackdown, and Fable that are hits. Sony has a much larger line-up of exclusives wich is more lucrative for a first time console owner. Gears of War is owned by Epic Games, Microsoft only owns the publishing rights to the first two games. Microsoft needs to learn from Sony. Sony secures studios when they publish great games. If Microsoft did the same on securing studios instead of paying for timed exclusives they would better competition by getting games out. Competition is good for consumers!! Also, Insomniac opened a new studio in North Carolina and they finally announced that they are working on a 360 game!! I do not know if it is exclusive or not, but I am excited for this. The reason Ken Kutaragi left Sony is because him and Jack Tretton did not get along. He did take kind to a foreinger heading Sony for the first time in their history. Bottom line, you can not complain about a system coming out with exclusives, if Sony did not do that it would lack innovation in the gaming industry and lack competition and we would just be playing Call of Duty 38 in 10 years from now....Sony is the only innovator for the hard core gamer. The 360's orginal Blade-Dash was the way to go. When they launched the new format it was a learning curve to find everything. The XMB on the PS3 is easy to use but boring as hell...

Remember what Cheapy said near the end of the episode, he takes after the Stern school of thought. He doesn't sell t-shirts but he sure knows how to generate buzz about himself, the show and the website.

As a PS3 owner only, I can't wait for the next one.

[quote name='Blackout']This show was a trainwreck. This felt like a podcast from 2007, with the same tired arguments as to why the PS3 needs "saving". Shipwreck's entire analysis was just...dumb. It basically broke down that if X game isn't a bona fide system seller and outselling Call of Duty, Sony needs to immediately abandon X game and make some new IPs. Suggesting that a) In the system’s 5th year, Sony can or should just abandon its established exclusives on the PS3 and create/find entirely new ones, b) Sony should stop releasing any sort of game that can compete with Call of Duty and that c) If a PS3 game cannot sell more than the 12 million copies that Black Ops did, Sony needs to scrap it and make some new games, is downright stupid. A game like Socom is not competing with Call of Duty. It's not even the same type of game. For a guy that plays about 5,000 games per year, you’d think Shipwreck could tell the difference. They're two totally different markets. Resistance is also not competing with Call of Duty. If it’s competing with anything, it’s going against the sci-fi games like Halo and Gears. It’s getting its ass whooped in that fight, but it’s trying.

Why would Sony just abandon a flagship series like Resistance? That makes absolutely no sense. Resistance 2 didn't sell as well as it should have because in November 2008 when it released, it had to go up against Gears 2, and Call of Duty 4. What did Resistance 1 have to compete against? Genji? Sony released R2 at a terrible time. That's not an indication that Sony needs to scrap the Resistance series, but map out a better release schedule, and do better marketing. Shipwreck, you said that Microsoft has moved on from "numerous" games/series, and that's something that Sony needs to do. Now "numerous" implies a lot of games they did this for, yet you failed to name anything besides maybe Crackdown. I can't think of "numerous" games Microsoft left on the wayside. I can think of a few, but not "numerous". If you look at Sony's home consoles from the PS1 to the PS3, Sony has consistently put out new games, new franchises, and new exclusives. At least they make some attempt to put new games out there. I find it ironic that Shipwreck kept saying the PS3 needs fresh ideas, and then doesn't say anything when Wombat points out all the 360 has is Gears/Halo/Fable/Forza. Every E3, all Microsoft shows off is the above mentioned games, along with a Call of Duty map pack. It's beyond stale at this point, and quite frankly, boring. Don’t get me wrong. I love those games. But Microsoft seriously needs to start planning some new exclusives and franchises sooner rather than later. They need to start taking some chances on some new stuff, otherwise it’s going to bite them in the ass in a few years.

You guys said the PS3 has no game to match Fable. That’s true. However, both systems have something you won't be able to find on the other. The 360 has no game to match the Uncharted series, and it never will. I just can imagine seeing that type of game on the 360. The 360 also has no game to match the Ratchet and Clank series. I'm not saying that Ratchet is the be all end all, but the 360 has no platformers. Don’t say Banjo Nuts & Bolts, because that game is a joke. I only bring up this point because Microsoft purchased Rare, the king of platformers, and have failed to utilize them. What was the point of buying them? To make them develop shitty Kinect games? Rare has the ability to create 3-4 new platforming games/mascots for them, yet they haven't done so. It makes no sense. I really wish they would put out games like that, because they have the ability to do so. It's really disappointing. Microsoft has the ability to push new game titles, yet they continue to ride the Halo and Gears train. Alan Wake was a step in the right direction. Now, they need to continue in that direction.

The fact is, there are maybe 1 or 2 exclusive system sellers this generation, if even that. When you ask someone why they want a PS3 or 360, the answer is Call of Duty. 10/10 times, it's Call of Duty. Maybe Grand Theft Auto, but there hasn't been a new release for a few years now. Everything is about multiplatform now. People are buying new game systems for Call of Duty. Plain and simple. Microsoft has done the smart thing of marketing the game as a 360 title. Sony will not be able to undo the damage of the first few years of the system’s life. They fucked up badly, and quite frankly won’t be able to recover and relive the glory days of the PS1 or PS2.

The PS3 exclusives like Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, Infamous 2, Little Big Planet 2, and Twisted Metal are their big games this year. The other stuff is supplementary, and I'm sure more games will be announced as 2011 rolls on. I'm not saying I'm buying each one of them, but that's a pretty damn good lineup. In fact, it’s a fantastic line up. Sony's problem is that they just don't know how to market their games properly. I completely disagree with Ship's assessment that Kevin Butler needs to go, etc. I think he's done a great job of revamping their image, and a lot of non-gamers that know I'm a gamer talk to me about the commercials. They love them. Sony’s image today is drastically more positive than it was around 2006-2008, due to the system relaunch and those Kevin Butler commercials. The games to sell the systems are there. There is no reason why system sales should be down, or why their games should’t be reaching 3-6 million sales each either. I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of their games. They're marketing department just completely sucks. Microsoft just seems to market everything better, especially their XBLA games. XBLA are one of the center pieces of the system, while PSN games are kind of just there. Sony needs to market their exclusives like they’re the second coming of Christ. Push it hard and long.

As far as the PS3's online capabilities go, you guys can stop using the lame argument that Xbox Live is so much better than PSN. It’s not. Xbox Live is no longer vastly superior to PSN. This isn't 2007 anymore. You guys should stop talking like PSN is still in the stone age, because it’s no longer there. I've been playing games online with the PS3 extensively since 2007. It was completely awful then. For a lot of games, you couldn’t even access your friends list or send invites properly. The difference between then and now is like night and day. I have to roll my eyes every time I hear someone drone on and on about how XBL is better in every way to PSN. At this point, they’re pretty close in terms of quality. I still can't wrap my head around how people justify paying that much money to play multiplayer games. Games are expensive enough. The fact that you need to pay additional money to access features on the disc is ridiculous.

I expect you guys to analyze the 360 and Wii over the next show or two with Ship's fancy spread sheets, but I doubt that's going to happen. I'm not sure why you guys singled out the PS3, unless you plan on doing the same thing for the other systems. I hope to see you guys as hard hitting on the 360 as you were on the PS3. Maybe you guys should just stick with what brought you to the dance (fart and weed jokes) and leave the serious industry analysis to other podcasts. Otherwise, we get episodes like this.[/QUOTE]

Very well put, I totally agree with your post. I still love the podcast and will continue to listen to it but I am glad these points are being discussed.

I still can't believe that people root for game systems the same way most root for sports teams.

[quote name='GOTA']I still can't believe that people root for game systems the same way most root for sports teams.[/QUOTE]

There is a lot more to it then sports teams. The more popular and successful microsoft gets, the more you will be seeing things that were once free (online gaming, levels not turned in paid DLC, costumes that used to be unlocks for clearing the game as paid DLC) turn to paid because people are in fact paying for them.

The xbox 360 is still the only video game system on the planet that charges you for P2P online gaming, none of which have actual servers for hosting games, just matchmaking. In fact, the first one is coming in nov 2011, Gears of War 3. On the flip side, tons of games have free dedicated servers on the PC and PS3. So you get a better online for free, yet people still pay monthly to play on xbox because they like to chat with their buddys while playing games. This is the direction gaming is going to, something more social, less about playing actual games, but playing games while talking/chatting with friends.

So yah, there are many reasons that people do not like to support one company or another. Im sure there will be someone reading this who values party chat over free online, dedicated servers and openly upgradeable hardware. Its obvious these people exists since there are 10 million more 360s sold in the US then there are PS3s.

Good podcast guys, I was thinking about getting a PS3 soon (even got $150 Amazon credit saved up) but after listening to you point out how crap they are I decided not to bother. I'll just stick with my 360 and Wii.

[quote name='benjamouth']Good podcast guys, I was thinking about getting a PS3 soon (even got $150 Amazon credit saved up) but after listening to you point out how crap they are I decided not to bother. I'll just stick with my 360 and Wii.[/QUOTE]

wow dude if this post is real then i pity you. make the decision for yourself dont base it on the idiotic ramblings of microsoft fanboys and a delusional ginger.

[quote name='blitz6speed']There is a lot more to it then sports teams. The more popular and successful microsoft gets, the more you will be seeing things that were once free (online gaming, levels not turned in paid DLC, costumes that used to be unlocks for clearing the game as paid DLC) turn to paid because people are in fact paying for them.

The xbox 360 is still the only video game system on the planet that charges you for P2P online gaming, none of which have actual servers for hosting games, just matchmaking. In fact, the first one is coming in nov 2011, Gears of War 3. On the flip side, tons of games have free dedicated servers on the PC and PS3. So you get a better online for free, yet people still pay monthly to play on xbox because they like to chat with their buddys while playing games. This is the direction gaming is going to, something more social, less about playing actual games, but playing games while talking/chatting with friends.

So yah, there are many reasons that people do not like to support one company or another. Im sure there will be someone reading this who values party chat over free online, dedicated servers and openly upgradeable hardware. Its obvious these people exists since there are 10 million more 360s sold in the US then there are PS3s.[/QUOTE]

Like all products it comes down to the consumer. If customers are willing to pay for it then the company will continue to charge for it. If Sony thought they could charge for the same things they would be doing it too. All these companies have the same goals in mind and that is to get your money.

I've been around a long time and remember the same thing going on with Atari and Intellivison in the late 70s and Apple and Commodore in the early 80's. Nothings changed. Certain people seem to love to justify their decision to buy a certain system and try to convince those who bought something else that they were wrong over and over again. It's really no different from the Jets fans going at it with the Patriots fans.

I have to admit though that I do find it ironic that Microsoft who flopped at MP3 players, flopped a couple of times at phones, and creates software that complain about seems to have no problems selling game systems and peripherals. They should spin off their game division and unlock some value for once for their stockholders.

[quote name='lokizz']wow dude if this post is real then i pity you. make the decision for yourself dont base it on the idiotic ramblings of microsoft fanboys and a delusional ginger.[/QUOTE]

Well I was in two minds about it anyway, but listening to the cagcast made me think about all the many negatives. I mean in fairness I've heard lots of other people talking about why the PS3 is so poor, but the cagcast just put the argument forward so succinctly, it was very compelling.

I think calling them fanboys is a bit much, Ship is a ginger though, there's no denying that.

[quote name='benjamouth']Well I was in two minds about it anyway, but listening to the cagcast made me think about all the many negatives. I mean in fairness I've heard lots of other people talking about why the PS3 is so poor, but the cagcast just put the argument forward so succinctly, it was very compelling.[/QUOTE]

They didn't at all. Their complaints were ludicrous. Skip a system because the menu system hasn't been randomly changed? Ridiculous.

Buy a Playstation if you want the exclusives. If you don't and you already own an Xbox, then skip it. But don't avoid it for silly reasons.

And yeah, I agree with the person who said it looks really bad when you don't even know what platforms your "Xbox game of the year" is on... A game of the year that was explicitly the multiplatform game of the year from the Giant Bomb guys...

I mean sure Ship's saying it NOW, but you'd have never known it from the show IMO.

I find the grandstanding by the PS3 fanboys amusing in this thread. I own all three consoles and I find no real problems with the arguments they presented because they were speaking from their own OPINIONS. As entertaining as the CAGcast can be, the hosts have no real power in the industry. For people to complain with such vitriol by listening to a free podcast which no one is forcing them to do is laughable to me. I don't agree with everything they said but I enjoy the posters in this thread who were able to have a respectful debate about it.

[quote name='XXXplosive1']I find the grandstanding by the PS3 fanboys amusing in this thread. I own all three consoles and I find no real problems with the arguments they presented because they were speaking from their own OPINIONS. As entertaining as the CAGcast can be, the hosts have no real power in the industry. For people to complain with such vitriol by listening to a free podcast which no one is forcing them to do is laughable to me. I don't agree with everything they said but I enjoy the posters in this thread who were able to have a respectful debate about it.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't presented as opinion, and was all pretty silly. When you go on and on about "oh if only it was better!" and then present things like...the interface hasn't been randomly changed.

Nothing they said was a valid reason not to buy one, save for if you only care about multiplayer and all your friends are on a different platform. Only even that wasn't presented in that way, it was presented as if "friends being on" was an intrinsic property of Xbox.

Like I've said, I didn't see it until this past episode. Not even with the "Mass Effect is Xbox exclusive" episode, I was still giving the benefit of doubt, but come on...

Everyone keeps harping on the PS3 discussion and how the left out the lack of 360 exclusives. While I wouldn't disagree there really aren't many 360 exclusives, that discussion had nothing to do with the 360. In fact the conversation, in its inception wasn't even about the PS3 hardware. It was about business decisions.

Shipwreck was simply trying to pose the question that if he can see the year over year decline in sales of PS3 hardware why isn't Sony trying something different to compel people to buy the hardware. Don't get me wrong I am very much looking forward to Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3. I am really looking forward to inFamous 2, and I kind of hope Resistance 3 is better than 2. But at the end of the day Sony is selling fewer and fewer systems each year. So what can they do better.

As someone who already owns a PS3, there really isn't much I can ask for they do have a great line up of games coming. And its very hard to think of this from the perspective of not having a PS3. I own all the consoles. I play games on all the consoles (including PC). I prefer FPS on my PC (unless its a console exclusive) and I play almost all of the PS3 exclusives but at the end of the day the thing that gets me.... and no one has mentioned this yet ... that I've read could have missed some... but I really prefer the 360 controller to the PS3. I hate the two thumbsticks in the middle there.

So when it comes to cross platform games I play on my 360 unless the game is cheaper for the PS3. Again though this discussion was simply about what if anything Sony can do to sell new hardware. And as much as I am looking forward to a lot of the PS3 exclusives this year, I agree with shipwreck. It doesn't seem to make sense that when you're selling fewer and fewer pieces of hardware, why release another game in a series that is selling fewer and fewer units.

I'm really not sure why you keep bringing up Mass Effect 2 like we're trying to have an ulterior motive. I explained why it's in the Xbox 360 exclusives category for our Favorite Games of 2010. We don't play PC games so it doesn't make sense for us to include them on our favorites. Nothing nefarious is going on here. There's no man behind the curtain. Chase a new conspiracy, because there's no rabbit hole here. It's not some twisted move by Xbox fanboys to glorify the Xbox in some twisted fashion. Or keep up the X-Filing and get to the bottom of our sinister plan. Oh no, I've said too much...

[quote name='shipwreck']I'm really not sure why you keep bringing up Mass Effect 2 like we're trying to have an ulterior motive. I explained why it's in the Xbox 360 exclusives category for our Favorite Games of 2010. We don't play PC games so it doesn't make sense for us to include them on our favorites. Nothing nefarious is going on here. There's no man behind the curtain. Chase a new conspiracy, because there's no rabbit hole here. It's not some twisted move by Xbox fanboys to glorify the Xbox in some twisted fashion. Or keep up the X-Filing and get to the bottom of our sinister plan. Oh no, I've said too much...[/QUOTE]

I think the crux of the issue is this (probably been poorly worded previously):

If a game is released on more than one platform, it is not exclusive, regardless of preference. Using the logic of "we don't play PC," Oblivion would have been considered a 360 exclusive, since the PS3 version didn't arrive until the following year. In fact, Oblivion is the best possible mirror to Mass Effect imaginable: released on PC and 360 simultaneously, released on PS3 a year later.

I understand your reasoning (and don't disagree with it), but people aren't wrong for pointing out that it is a mistake to call Mass Effect an exclusive title. They could probably point this out in a more adult fashion, though.

That's the situation, yes. I don't mind people asking why we had it in that category or pointing out why they think we were wrong to do so. I've answered why it was valid for us though. There's nothing more to be pulled from the wreckage. When Oblivion came out we would have named it our Favorite Xbox 360 Game too.

I have to agree with Shipwreck. I have always looked at as PC vs. Console. If a PC port was released on a console the game on the console is usually weaker (ie: Command and Conquer) So if Command and Conquer was first released on the PC than ported to the 360 I do not mind people saying it is exclusive to the 360 since 360 is an actual console and not a PC. But in all technicality you would have to say that Command and Conquer is Multi-Platform if it was released on PC and 360. Though I (and many others) are mainly console gamers and do not take into account PC games since not everyone uses their PC's for hardcore gaming.

[quote name='jax2001']What kind of controller is Shipwreck holding in his profile pick? I bet it's a 360 controller...[/QUOTE]

Haha... I have a white Dual Shock 3, so the conspiracy thickens.

The PS3's sales are not declining "year after year," this is a one year decline from last year's increased sales, and a 5% drop at that. It isn't at all surprising either, last year Sony had a price drop and the release of the redesigned PS3 slim to increase sales, and it's been over a year since then. That momentum has died.

- Look at the facts: Sony beat Microsoft in console sales in Q2 by over 400,000 units.
- After the Xbox 360 slim was released and pro/elite/arcades were discouted, sales skyrocketed.
- They beat out Sony by the end of the year.

None of these facts had anything to do with a particular game giving the console momentum. Redesigns and price drops result in increased hardware sales, it's just that simple. Add onto that the fact that Kinect has unquestionably done better in North America than Move (which isn't the case globally yet -- we'll see), and it isn't surprising that these trends emerged. Actually I find it shocking that they weren't more dramatic.

This year, what does Microsoft have going for it? Very few exclusives, almost no Kinect titles announced other than Dance Central 2 (which is a dangerous move, they're accelerating milking the dance genre which will just bring about its decline faster like what happened to the music genre), and a price increase for Xbox Live which is going to start to take affect now that people's 1 year subscriptions are running out. Also keep in mind that the slim leading to a growth in hardware sales had a lot to do with people opting out of RROD, not a significantly increased install base (especially for core titles). If you don't believe me, look at Gamestop. They're desperately trying to move old Xbox 360 models for 110 dollars. I bet by the end of this year they'll be going for 80. The situation is worse on Craigslist.

Sony has an impressive exclusive lineup, they've closed the gap in multiplatform sales big time this last year, their install base has increased significantly, and there's a lot of Move support in the works (Heroes on the Move, Rachet and Clank all 4 1, Sorcery). Furthermore there's no reason to believe that people upgrading from original PS3s to slims accounts for hardware sales, given that the originals actually had a few features that PS3 slims don't (such as more USB ports and backwards compatibility) and you can upgrade the harddrive in all of them without buying proprietary cases (while being forced to pay double for the actual components). Also in my experience the PS3 controllers are much more durable than the Xbox 360 ones, which have bumpers that break really fast from normal use.

It seemed like a lot of the data that they cited in their show related only to North America as well, and you have to remember that the PS3 is beating the crap out of Xbox 360 in Japan, and seems to be winning in Europe as well.

[quote name='Wolfpup']It wasn't presented as opinion, and was all pretty silly. When you go on and on about "oh if only it was better!" and then present things like...the interface hasn't been randomly changed.

Nothing they said was a valid reason not to buy one, save for if you only care about multiplayer and all your friends are on a different platform. Only even that wasn't presented in that way, it was presented as if "friends being on" was an intrinsic property of Xbox.

Like I've said, I didn't see it until this past episode. Not even with the "Mass Effect is Xbox exclusive" episode, I was still giving the benefit of doubt, but come on...[/QUOTE]

I think "Friends Being On" is a valid reason to buy one over the other. My college roommate has a PS3 only and he asked me to buy COD Black Ops on PS3 so we could play together. We now have a nice little group of guys we went to college with that we play multiplayer with. I have both systems but most of them don't. A couple of guys we saw over the holidays bought PS3's just because they heard us talking about playing and wanted to join in.

The reason I buy most multiplatform games on 360 is because of the friends I play with in online sports leagues. I know local guys that play mostly on PS3 for the same reason. No one is right or wrong, it's just their opinion and experience. Wombat, Ship, and Cheapy speak from the same past experiences and if they prefer 360, so be it.

As far as the criticisms of the PS3, it's more then fare. Sony is working from 3rd place and they do have something to prove to gamers from the hardcore to the casual. How soon do people forget the same tone of criticisms were being lobbed at the Gamecube and Xbox when PS2 was dominant.

Xbox 360 sold more because alot of people had to buy multiples because of the red ring of death. How many does shipwreck, wombat or cheapy own? I know people on there third Xbox. Me, I still have a release ps3

Most RROD consoles were replaced for free through the extended warranty that MS put into place. I've had two replaced for free. I won my original 360 prior to launch, my wife bought me an Elite when those came out, and I bought a Slim 360 because I wanted one. I have a launch PS3 that works still. I would have replaced it with a PS3 slim, but I don't want to get rid of the backwards compatibility. I'll probably pick up a PS3 Slim when they get cheaper. Since we're randomly stating console purchases which have nothing to do with the contents of the show, I also bought a launch Wii which has a bad disc drive and I replaced it with a new Black Wii so that all my consoles are the same color.

If you think I think the original 360s were well made, I don't. They were awful in terms of quality. I'd never argue that the 360 was a better made console than the PS3. MS addressed the issue though. They offered a substantial warranty extension and the current models seem to be much higher quality.

Now what any of this has to do with the comments I made on the show, I have no idea.

The PS3 is still 3rd worldwide for at least another year, but as Kaz Hirai said at E3 2002, "The console war is over. The battle for #2 is undecided, but by next year will be moot."

The development situation isnt going to change on either platform just because of an insignificant lead change at the very end of the generation.

PS3 needs a Kingdom Hearts exclusive. I'm sick of seeing Kingdom Hearts games on DS and PSP. I will never play those games on those platforms. I believe a Kingdom Hearts PS3 exclusive might help to move some systems. (Of course, Sony still needs to implement everything discussed in the podcast in order to improve upon the system's experience.)

bread's done
Back