CAGcast #260: We're Too Classy To Call This Episode Skyrimjobs

Someone should forward Cheapy's former crush the audio of him describing his battle with his own feces. I think that might take his sex appeal down a few notches.

Wombat is great! I enjoyed the show when it was just him and Cheapy, and I like it now with the Ship on there, too.

To all the haters I say "Where the hell is YOUR podcast Smarty McPants?"

Not to be a complainer, but the worst thing about every cagcast is Wombat saying "bread done" at the end of every cagcast. I really wish he would stop saying those words, it is kind of super annoying. Otherwise great cast.

For an episode that was supposed to be stripped of humor, Wombat was funny just by attempting to subdue himself. Listen again - he really couldn't (and didn't) do it.

Ship had some good zingers, too. Not sure how everyone misses his humor, but it's there.

Which got me wondering - I did a listen back to Episode 1 today because I've never heard the question answered: how did you guys first meet and then get together? We need an Episode 0.

As for Skyrim, I have deliberately kept myself from playing anything this past week that might involve me getting 20% or 50% into the game, only to have to stop it once Tamriel came a'callin'. Will be well rewarded tonight for the midnight launch - pretty much the only time I'll say "thank you" to Best Buy these days.

Really, guys? Call of Duty can come out with a new game every year but Assassin's Creed can't? You even make excuses for why some people may think CoD comes out too often by saying that "it gets old faster because there are so many bad copies" and yet, Assassin's Creed is not much like anything else out there(save for the platforming parts) but it coming out once a year is way too soon? In my opinion, as long as studios can pump out quality titles year after year then I have no problem with a franchise becoming an annual series. It's like those arguments where people say "The last/first game was so good, I don't want/need a sequel" and then they act all butt hurt about it. Seriously? If I find something really good, I want as much of it as possible. But hey, what do I know? I'm not a subscriber of Bullshit Quarterly, after all. :lol:

I for one love the Wombat and would seriously harm myself if he stopped appearing on the podcast. I wouldn't hurt my ears or anything because I still need to listen to the podcast.

Hey Wombat,

May I have an invite for Auto Club Revolution?

I'm a big racing fan! I even have a logitech g27 racing wheel. I play gt5, rfactor, test drive unlimited, burnout paradise and more. Auto Club sounds groundbreaking and I would love to take her for a spin. See, I can make bad puns too :)

Thanks for another great show, guys.

[quote name='ILikePopCans']Not to be a complainer, but the worst thing about every cagcast is Wombat saying "bread done" at the end of every cagcast. I really wish he would stop saying those words, it is kind of super annoying. Otherwise great cast.[/QUOTE]

Turn it off early. It's funny. It's the cag equivalent of "Sit Ubu, sit. Good dog."

Chin up wombat. As a fan of the marc maron podcast you should realize the pitfalls of humor. For every ten people who find you funny there are going to be at least 2 who don't because they either don't get it or it's just not their style. Serious Wombat really brought this episode down. Let's see a return to form next show.

Comedy about a carpenter?
Oh, the Bible?

Solid gold, Wombat!

I'll chime in that I like all 3 podcast hosts. I think the chemistry is great and everyone brings something different to the table. Don't worry, Wombat. You have plenty of fans.

Ship's description of Skyrim almost made me want to play it; a true feat since I usually can't stick with RPGs. Then I remembered AC: Revelations is coming out on Tuesday and that everything else can wait.

Wombat, you try too hard to be funny- stop it please. I do think you have good ideas and insight about the industry, so keep those coming. Also bring back those indie game reviews.

I love Wombat - he's the main reason I have continued to listen to the CAG cast for years. Nothing against Cheapy or the new guy, but Wombat's the man!

Add me to the Wombat love'n express. If he finds a way to pull negatives out of this thread however, then im off the train.

Disappointing U3 coverage (as expected). PS3 exclusives have a usual format; quickly go over the positives, stay on the negatives for longer and then quickly move to the next topic. Sad, but usual.

Look forward to more Skyrim impressions though!

[quote name='youruglyclone']Re: batman arkham city

Technically cheapy and wombat do have the batman beyond skin.
Wombat I sent you a pm about it, there's still a code waiting for you.
Cheapy I dropped it via im.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I got and used it. Thanks!

[quote name='Sashka']Cheapy:
"What's that comedy with the carpenter?"
Wombat: "The Bible?"
[/QUOTE]
That is funny. I must have missed it. sometimes, because of the technical shortcomings of Skype, we simply just don't hear each other.

Cheapy, I think the term "franchise fatigue" is what is really happening with the COD hate. I totally understand why people are just fucking sick of any new COD because we've been playing the same Michael-Bay-style short military campaign and angry-12-year-old multiplayer game since COD 4. Making an annual version of any game I think really starts to grind on us. I have yet to play Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and now there's a new one comin' out soon and another one in 2012? They're starting in on the fatigue, too.

Just my opinions :)

Cheapy - "What's that comedy with the carpenter?"

Serious Wombat -"The Bible"

Serious Wombat is even funnier than Regular Wombat

I hadn't listened to a CAGcast for quite some time and listened to this one because of Wombat's drama queenery - and was reminded why I don't regularly listen to this thing. Seriously, how old are you guys?

And Wombat, you saying "I never let the hate bring me down" is a joke. You don't...until you can make it a point to mention it on the podcast. You must have been needy enough to ask for the back-pats, well you got them.

I'm not going to lump myself with the Wombat haters but I will agree with some of the other commenters here who said sometimes he tries too hard. He does the New Yorker thing of talking over people, usually Shipwreck, to tell a joke. If the joke was lame and people wanted to hear what Ship said that can get annoying. Just show a little restraint, Wombat. Look at what people here are saying, Serious Wombat was funnier than Regular Wombat.

I think that the Wombat haters are just part of a loud minority. I listen to the Cagcast because of Wombat. As a father of a couple of kids its nice to have someone on the show in my same situation and to whom I can relate. Also Wombat is the only one on the show that routinely plays devils advocate and will start discussions on topics such as video game embargoes.

I like you wombat for who you are, so don't change for anybody!!!

Other than that I enjoy this show every week the most.
Keep up the great work guys.

I'd go look this post up in the cagbag if I wasn't lazy, but I'll comment here and if he sees it he sees it.

To the guy that wanted to know how Shipwreck juggled school and gaming, it's not that hard. I currently work 40-45 hours a week and go to school full time as a pre med student. The easiest way to do so is to take easy electives with the hard classes. For instance, I'll take Calculus, Organic Chemistry, Self and Values and Fundamentals of Speech next semester. First two are hard, the latter are easy. Throughout the week I hardly play anything, but on the weekends I'm free to do as I please. I do want to say that I enjoy gaming as well, but if your true aspirations are to become a doctor, then you may want to get your priorities in order. During med school, you won't be allowed to work, which is why I'm working full time and saving, now. Most (if not all) schools won't let you work, because what you are learning could be the difference in someone living or dying and if you don't think you can put down the controller for a few years, then you might want to consider another career path. I'm not saying you won't ever be able to play games during school, but think of it as paying it forward. No games now and in the future you'll be able to play more games, because you can retire earlier or even just work part time and make three times as much as alot of full time factory workers. Your path is hard, but it's not impossible. Don't stress out over it. It's just a ride. Managing your gaming/school will become easier as time progresses, but again make sure you're splitting your classes, because everything in more easily managed in small chunks.

P.S. - Also, if you're not in the medical field, now, then volunteer at a hospital. Most med schools won't even take an application seriously if they don't have at least 100+ hours of volunteer work or experience already. When the average acceptance rate to med school is around 8%, then anything to give you an edge will help tremendously.

Good Luck

Did anybody else find it funny that right after a commentor said shipwreck was an accountant that one of the first pros he mentioned for Skyrim was its inventory system.

I like Wombat because he is funny and because when his jokes to not hit, the long pause or witty slapdown from Cheapy or Shipwreck is hilarious and sometimes the podcast goes to hilarious places because of wombat comments

Please no women they are too nice and it kills the podcast dynamic go listen to IGN Unlocked podcast a few months ago where Arthur Giese is being hilariously mean and critical and the women practically shouted him down with niceness and PCness

Best podcast out there do not change anything

and dang Cheapy showed the ego today!!! No jokes from Wombat about the Cheapy Empire, no more straight Wombat!

Strap It on. The following image is NSFW......
scaled.php

Time for some brutal honesty womfat. You want to be in the good graces of the listeners? Then you should do the following:

1. Sell your kids
2. Kick your wife to the curb
3. Actually play video games
4. Talk about them during the podcast
5. Don't say "breads done" at the end

I doubt this will help, you're too far gone in my opinion, but you can always try.

#Wombatjumpinfrontofatruck

i disagree with all the wombat and ship haters, cheapy is the one that needs to go. he is always being a douche bag by complaining about how games are to hard for him. not to mention this episode where he is a complete ass thinking that his ex calling him makes him the coolest cat in the corral. cheapy must die.

( i really dont hate cheapy, i just thought some hate towards him would make wombat feel better. long live wombat)

In response to the hateful/whining messages the CAGcast cast receives I just want to say that I really enjoy the show and have been enjoying it since around 2007. Cheapy's great. Wombat's funny. And Shipwreck is a heckuva gamer.

Cheapy, a couple of episodes ago you got on a soapbox about sodas and how it's a waste of time and your health. I've always loved sodas and have had a few jobs with easy access to a fountain drink machine (which leads to gallons of soda guzzling weekly). For some reason your comments resonated with me and I decided to try and go one month without drinking a sugar-filled or even sugar free soda for a whole month. I've made it past there and have been "Coke" free since Oct. 1st, thanks. I recommend to anyone trying to get off sodas to have some sparkling water instead. I find that I am just in love with the carbonation.

Wombat, have you had any time to check in on the new 52? I'd highly recommend Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batman (by Snyder), and dum dum dum (drum roll) Batwoman is the best.

Question for you all: What character class & race did you choose/will you choose for Skyrim? I chose a Nord warrior in Oblivion and I am thinking about a dual-wielding Argonian or Khajiit in Skyrim because they look freakin' awesome.

These Wombat haters need to die in a fire.
Wombat's humor is a key element of this show.

A CAG cast without Wombat jokes, is not a CAG cast.

As any long-time CAGCast fan knows, the way to judge Skyrim's quality is not through reviews or stars or scores. Rather, we can derive Skyrim's quality from the number of CAGCast episodes in which the game gets a mention; the number of episodes before Cheapy reads aloud a listener complaint telling the crew to stop with the mentions.

For Oblivion, the first major Oblivion mention was in episode 25. The weekly or near-weekly Oblivion mentions continued until 68, the thread of which contained a listener complaint about the Oblivion mentions that Cheapy read on the air in a later episode, probably 69 or 70. Of course, that wasn't the last of the Oblivion mentions, as jonnyflash pointed out in the topic for 80. I believe the PS3 version came out around that time.

So, assuming that it was mentioned every week between 25 and 70, we're looking at around 45 episodes of Oblivion mentions. Skyrim definitely has some high standards to live up to, so let's re-convene next year to see how it has performed.

[quote name='agapens (CAGCast 68 topic, 2007)']I have to say that you have created a Pavlovian response within me to want to violently throttle the nearest person anytime the world "Oblivion" is mentioned. Seriously. SHUT UP ABOUT OBLIVION. My sanity can't take it anymore. I bought the game...didn't like it and sold it back after 3 weeks. I thought that was the end of it. But no. I hear it mentioned it week after week after week after week after week. Even if its not mentioned at length, its still mentioned. Please....just stop. Stop.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Agapens, sounds like you've got some Cthulhu-esque sanity issues going on. Serious Charles Dexter Ward stuff. Good luck with that!

If you want to avoid hearing about ES IV or ES V, you'd better just skip the CAGcast for the next 30 episodes or so.

Great show. I must say I agree with you Wombat, I saw "The Captains" and you are on the money with Avery Brooks (aka Sisko from DS9). That dude looks like he took one too many trips on the transporter.

+1 for Wombat lovers right here - he needs to stay. It keeps the gentile ratio low.

Seriously, a fan of all three - each one's weaknesses are covered by the others strengths. Keep it up.

Maybe it's just a subjective thing. No, strike that, of course comedy is subjective! Wombat's sense of humor is perfect for a podcast that is about video games and poop. I don't mean that as disrespect, but real praise. Silly puns, and snarky cultural references are pretty dang funny.

I've been listening since the first episode, though it's been awhile since I've posted. Wombat is the same Wombat he's always been (if maybe more sleep deprived now). His puns are my type of humor (even when I groan), and I think that the interaction between Cheapy, Ship, and Wombat is what makes this show work. I think the "get rid of unfunny Wombat" thing is getting to be like the "fire Justin McElroy" thing was on the Joystiq podcast (may it RIP).

On having a girl on the show regularly...well, there are a fair few female listeners (including me), though you never know how that person will fit in. Maybe next time one of the regular guys can't do a show, you should try to get one of the female listeners to join in as a host, give it a go.

Enjoyed this episode, but still hate spiders.
/tk

Great show. I am glad to see CheapyD is finally starting to vlog. I am curious as to what he does all day because it seems all he does is game and eat at restaurants. :)

[quote name='Cursor']Agapens, sounds like you've got some Cthulhu-esque sanity issues going on. Serious Charles Dexter Ward stuff. Good luck with that!

If you want to avoid hearing about ES IV or ES V, you'd better just skip the CAGcast for the next 30 episodes or so.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that you're replying to a comment from early 2007, yes?

Bullshit Quarterly Article!
Wombat cries about people hating him only to get massive amounts of compliments!

No really though, Wombat is hilarious. This is the only podcast I listen to and I freakin love it lol. The chemistry between you, shipwreck and "The D" is enough to entertain me on my 4 mile bike ride to work everyday. I can listen to podcast old and new. So fuck HATERS.

I listened to this episode several times and come to find out it is very stale with out Wombats humor, so for Mr. Anonymous 1,2,3....ect how about you log in your real account and face Wombat like loud mouths you are. I got your back wombat.

bread's done
Back