CAGcast #273: The Wombat Syndrome

My entry to win the MK game:
I think the CAGcast is a great show. I would like to see the "CAGs on News" theme song return. Was that submitted by a listener? I think there was a line about stirring up controversy. That would go with Wombat's recent "devil's advocate" arguments.

I enjoyed the show.

First of all, I have nothing against Cheapy's negative criticism of the Vita. In fact, I find it refreshing because it counter-acts all the other glowing reviews that the other gaming websites offer. I really want to know what I am getting into if I decided to drop $$$ on a new gaming system.

Second - In regards to Wombat's suggestion for constructive criticism: I think the show could use a female point of view on occasion. Why not a game review from one of your wives? The show can be too much of a sausage fest sometimes.

Otherwise, I enjoying listening to your podcasts when I am doing some artwork.

[quote name='DeskLaser']Since Wombat seems to by far play portable games the most, I think it would be really nice to have a section where Wombat discusses what portable games he has been playing and what he is looking forward to, etc. Portable games (NOT iOS games) are not discussed too often on the show and I feel it would be a great addition.[/QUOTE]

I'd guess that I play about 90% more portable games than Wombat. That number might be conservative.

I would consider myself a rookie listener to the podcast. This was just the 2nd one I've listened to. I actually tweeted you guys saying that it was quite entertaining listening to the sometimes mindless banter.

You asked for criticism, so here it goes. I figure I could provide some unique perspective since I've only listened twice.

Sound quality was good. I wonder how bad it was before CheapyD sent you a new equipment.

Others might mind some of that family talk, but it didn't hurt. You're only human and want to share some things that go on at home, especially if it is relevant to the topic(s) at hand.

The thing with your 3 year old daughter and marriage amongst those monkeys was quite funny. I would be shocked if I heard it in person because it would definitely make me wonder what she has been watching and/or listening to.

Vita bashing? Hey I can only ask for some of your honest opinions of the system, and it sounded pretty genuine. They echo the same thoughts I've had about it. I'm still on the fence, and probably won't get one until a price drop. Games are too expensive.

CheapyD brought up an interesting point though--he expressed that perhaps he isn't in the target market for the product. I honestly don't know what they think their target market is. I'd assume they're targeting consumers on the go (such as myself, the work commuter). Travelers would fit this bill as well, especially those that do not use a tablet, and don't sleep well in a vehicle.

Like I said, this was only the 2nd one I've listened to. Don't really have anything to complain about. You've been running for 7 years now (I believe thats what you guys referenced) for a reason... a good majority find it entertaining. So despite what the haters say, they still listened right?

I think you guys should do a cast next week despite being down a man. Why not? Unless time doesn't permit of course. I would love to chime in someday as well.

Have a great weekend guys.

Wombat asked who the HBO Go app on XBOX Live is for? I have an HBO subscription but no DVR. I don't always have time to watch shows when they premier. Also, I don't want to wait around until whatever time during the next couple of days for the shows to be repeated. I'm looking forward to the app.

There is one piece of constructive criticism I would like to offer:

Make it a point to tell the listener the name of the game you are currently discussing at the beginning, middle and end of the conversation segment.

It seems like about once an episode now, I find myself really interested in a game you are discussing, but not knowing what the game is. I often have to rewind or look at show notes to find the title. It may seem obvious while you're recording, but as a listener with no visual cues and a divided attention span, it's really easy to miss the name at the beginning of the segment.

If it feels to you like you're mentioning the title way too often, it's probably just right.

This is a challenge for every podcast that deals with reviewing things - and you already do an above-average job at it. But it could be better!

About that sexual harassment thing. If it was two guys and they were trash talking each other, no one would care. One of them is a woman, and everyone throws a shit fit... Seriously, if you want equality, you gotta take ALL of it. Not some of it.

[quote name='metallicoholic']You'll hear a lot of, "Has anyone checked out the demo?" or the reading of Metacritic scores, and it's rare when all three hosts are qualified to talk about the same game. In those rare moments, the show really works as all three hosts create a dynamic discussion (see any of the spoiler discussions on Alan Wake or Mass Effect 2), [/QUOTE]

I agree. Those two episodes were my favorites. And I've listened to the entire 7 year run.

[quote name='AvidWriter']About that sexual harassment thing. If it was two guys and they were trash talking each other, no one would care. One of them is a woman, and everyone throws a shit fit... Seriously, if you want equality, you gotta take ALL of it. Not some of it.[/QUOTE]

If one of the guys was abusing another guy on that officially sponsored Capcom show by calling him racist or homophobic names there would be a similar controversy.

Your idea that a woman has to put up with vicious abuse and sexual harassment if she wants to play fighting games is so backward it's laughable.

The one piece of constructive criticism I would like to offer the show is "We Need More Wombat!". Tell CheapyD to shut up for a second and let us absorb all the useless knowledge Wombat brings to us on a weekly basis! Thank you.

Wombat asked what was the point of the hbo go app on the Xbox. I or one as cheapy said don't have a satellite receiver in 2 of my tvs but have xboxes hooked to them so I can catch up on episodes of my fab shows and movies it's like having a DVr but without having to bother remembering to record it. As far as VOD for hbo I have no idea what that is or if it even offered by my provider

There should be more comments like "This is getting gross, and I'm getting hungry". Also, my tweet was referenced on the show, which was awesome.

This is non-episode specific, but the apple felatting should really stop. Little iPhone games really aren't comparable to actual DS/3DS/PSP/Vita games. The experiences will never be on par because of the lack of buttons if nothing else.

How awesome would Apple TV be if you (Cheapy) didn't waste money buying/renting tv shows and movies through apple? I think it would be pretty shit at that point.

Just had to spout off on that. I love the show, but Cheapy's bias for Apple is not only unrealistic, but down right irritating to listen to.

Hey Cheapy

Why don't you use the money for the party to pay for Wombat and Shipwreck to visit you in Japan. Could be good to a show from Japan during TGS.

The show overall was great. But the only downside i see in the show is, that you guys aren't really big fans of Nintendo ]=

Regarding the me3 controversy at the risk of being banned I will say this, the chances of my buying the game new are about as good as christina giving me a bj this week. This thing deserves an extraordinary amount of anger with the fake day 1 DLC free and bs.

I imagine it is EA's fault but idk. It is hard to ruin that series for me, but I think that will do it.

Firstly I live in the UK so the game won't work here, but i'll give my constructive criticism either way.

I love the stories on the show, Cheapy's adventures, stories about Tai etc however I feel as soon as Wombat starts to say something like "Guess what Sabrina said today?" or something then he doesn't get time to tell the story properly. Cheapy just goes "okay, whats next?" and moves the show on while we have to listen to everything he says.

I love the show but I have a few items that I would like to see covered more in-depth. I feel like the show carries the CAG name but doesn't spend a lot of time calling out gaming deals. Cheapy usually calls out the big deals but I check the PS Store every week and they have great deals. So, more talk about sales would be a plus.

Also, I am a husband and father of one who is similar in age to you three guys and I really enjoy your "slice of life" talk. I enjoy everything from Cheapy's poop stories to Wombat talking about what he is playing with the kids. Even Shipwreck's many trips to Wal-Mart stories are enjoyable. This talk about your lives could be extended and adds a personal element to the show. Anyway, thanks guys for doing a terrific job, I look forward to the CAGCast each week.

P.S. The few guests that have been on in the past have generally been good, so maybe more guests as well could improve the show.

Keep doing what you do. Change nothing. That is how you have built such a great following. Excellent show. Great chemistry between you guys. Keep it coming.

Wombat was spot on with the futurama reference. The time lapse ending with the dog waiting in vein is sad as shit. Nothing is more sad than seeing dogs being loyal. If you can watch a youtube video of soldiers reuniting with their dogs or the movie Homeward Bound, and not tear up, your 100% a serial killer.

You should do a show next week, I will listen to it.

Another really good "sad dog" movie is Hachi: A Dog's Tale starring Richard Gere. It is based on a true story of a famous dog in Japan. There is a statute of the dog in Shinjuku Central Park in Tokyo.

Wombat - In response to your call for constructive criticism:

I personally like it when you play Devil's Advocate, but I understand how a lot of people find it annoying and interpret it as you not knowing what you're talking about. Maybe in the future you should preface your statements with "OK, Allow me to play Devil's Advocate here..." Without you filling this role, the Cagcast would probably be 20 minutes shorter each week, which is no good for anyone!

It's getting annoying hearing comments every single week about people hating on you for not knowing what you're talking about. Personally, I think it's clear where you, Cheapy and Shipwreck's knowledge on a subject ends and I don't take offense when any of you pontificate and say things that turn out to not be true. You never claim to be experts!

I listen to the Giant Bombcast for news, I listen to the Cagcast for the conversation. There's a reason you guys are 273 episodes strong. Keep up the great work and don't be afraid to mix it up.

My constructive criticism is that the podcast ought to be done in a maserati

On the used games front: I personally feel that publishers are lumping used game buyers along with those who pirate games as part of the problem. I'm on a budget and trading games is one of the means I use to save money and play whatever is out there. I'm fine with cracking down on piracy, it's stealing. Used game sales are not stealing and shouldn't be restricted.

I don't like posting or even communicating on the internet but a free game sounds good.

I am with Lightning War on Wombat basically playing devil's advocate just to make an argument.

Also I like when Wombat and Cheapy talk about their kids. I have an 18 month old and kid stories are entertaining. Poop stories and crazy antics of your daily lives are enjoyable also. I liked Shipwreck's bathroom story this week and when he talked about his coaching this last basketball season.

The games that have come out lately have led to dull shows in my opinion. I could give a shit less about Vita, I know I won't be buying one and hearing Cheapy shit on it more is ok by me. I listen for your guy's opinions and stories. Hopefully more games coming out will help this malaise I feel like you guys are in. And Wombat is sure to have some stories from Disney-Land or World, whatever it is.

Good show though.

Wombat, I too teared up at the "Fry's Dog" episode of Futurama I am not ashamed to say. But I have good news, Netflix has the movie "Futurama: Bender's Big Score" that you should really check out after watching the "Fry's Dog" episode.

[quote name='shipwreck']I'd guess that I play about 90% more portable games than Wombat. That number might be conservative.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that. I got the impression that Wombat filled his train rides with DS games, etc.

Hey guys, entertaining show as usual. I really like the way you guys review games, just giving your impressions.

Anyway, a question for Cheapy and Wombat ... and Shipwreck too, you're a basketball coach, may as well pitch in. My wife and I are expecting our first kid in the next few weeks ... any advice for a first time father? :)

I have no idea why CheapyD is so against PC gaming. You've spent the last 5 years or so pretending like you were going to get into it, but never have.
You were last on your Steam account like 270 days ago. After playing 1.5 hours of Torchlight.

What's stopping you now? You said the wireless HDMI receiver would be good for you, so why not get it? I'd just rather you be honest than trying to bend to our whims, and if you really cannot give one shit about PC gaming and it's benefits, just say it is so.
At least then I won't have to cry for hours knowing I will never be able to play with CheapyD unless I buy a game on the Xbox 360 or Apple TV. D:

Same goes for Ship and Wombat. Stop sucking Apple's teet. This generation has been going on for almost 7 fucking years. 7 years of the SAME HARDWARE. You don't even keep your phone for TWO. Move on UP to the PC where you will get superior visuals, superior modification, and a ton more. There's a reason the definitive version of BF3 and Skyrim is the PC version. I know this sounds like fanboyism but the people at GiantBomb seem to echo my opinion, and I don't think they're fanboys.

It's like the Vita, if you hate it then you hate it. Don't try to change your mind for us, because that just makes you seem like a pushover. Good show, I wouldn't keep listening every week for ..like 5 years now if I didn't really like it. Even Shipwreck grew on me and I didn't even want him on the show at first!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cheapyd

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat,

Here's my constructive criticism. Don't be afraid of a little silence. When you're finishing your point about a topic and no one else jumps in you tend to press your point using weaker arguments.

[quote name='tw1164']Wombat,

Here's my constructive criticism. Don't be afraid of a little silence. When you're finishing your point about a topic and no one else jumps in you tend to press your point using weaker arguments.[/QUOTE]

Silence can be deadly when it comes to recording podcasts. A few seconds of silence can sound like an eternity to the listener.

It's really tricky when doing a podcast over SKYPE compared to recording it live in a studio because you often aren't able to look face to face with the people you're talking to for cues that they are finished talking. Skype often drops out part of the audio as well, making things difficult.

[quote name='Uncle Milkshake']Silence can be deadly when it comes to recording podcasts. A few seconds of silence can sound like an eternity to the listener.

It's really tricky when doing a podcast over SKYPE compared to recording it live in a studio because you often aren't able to look face to face with the people you're talking to for cues that they are finished talking. Skype often drops out part of the audio as well, making things difficult.[/QUOTE]

There is video chat on Skype.

Cheapy, I wouldn't rush to buy SSX. As someone who played the heck out of the first 3 games (all solid 90+ games on metacritic) I found it a complete dissappointment. No, it's not a terrible game (current metacritic 83), but it's not the real SSX either. Armor,; dying and having to restart the run; wtf. Someone at EA seems to think this is a platformer. Also there is way to much emphasis on tricks, where in the old games there was a nice 50/50 balance between racing and tricks., Now racing is maybe 20% of the game and there are so many alternate paths that you are almost never anywhere near an opponent. You might as well be doing solo runs against the clock as there is absolutely no tension as you get near the end of an event.

Also, I don't think Ship gave enough of a warning about the beginning of Binary Domain. The first couple of levels are pretty bad, and the story/ cutscenes are dire. Don't give up though, and don't start skipping the cut scenes, as it really does get a lot better.

[quote name='donkeydrop']Cheapy, I wouldn't rush to buy SSX. As someone who played the heck out of the first 3 games (all solid 90+ games on metacritic) I found it a complete dissappointment. [/QUOTE]

Same here. I think the new one is basically SSX World Tour 2, whereas it should've abandoned world tour and focused on being SSX 4. Incoming price drop, I sense $39 in 2 months.

My Konstructive Kriticism: Please ignore the trolls. Like this week bringing up the dude complaining about Wombat's lack of experience with the iphone. Obviously its a crazy post, there is no reason to respond to it. The same goes for people constantly complaining about bias. They will always be there, and there is no way to placate them. No point in even mentioning it.

Otherwise I like the show as-is. I've been listening since around #75 or so, and it's always a highlight of the week.

One more thing: guests can be cool too. McElroy would be fun again & it'd be great to hear Christina Norman's opinion of ME3 now that she's looking at it from the outside.

Another one more thing: maybe a general topic once in a while for a change of pace. Kind of like the Indoor Kids podcast has a general theme each week, such as "games we hate that everyone loves". Doing it every week would be tiresome and unsustainable, but it'd be good for weeks where not much has happened.

Constructive criticism for Wombat and Cheapy and Boatcrash. More focused podcast reviews on the podcast would be nice. It seems like you guys are just pulling from memory when you're reviewing games. Remember some of us don't actually read the reviews, but listen to every fuck podcast episode, so really get into it during your podcast reviews. Also my girlfriend loves Mortal Kombat on snes and she would love to play it with me on 360. :bouncy:

Constructive criticism for Wombat:

I think the show really could use a new section that talks about the direction of CAG and more specifically, where it is going. The site/community hasn't changed in a while and it would be nice to know if there are any new things to look forward to (like updates to the marketplace, iphone app, etc.). Other than that, love the show and can't wait to hear what you guys come up with next!

Edit: Also, you should probably have less discussion about shoving things up someone's ass lol.

I think your show is fantastic! I want MKcomplete! lol
I think you guys just need to be nicer to each other.
sometimes it seems like you really don't like eachother, lol.
just remember you are friends! your listeners want to hear you having fun and feel like we are having fun with you, not an awkward rivalry contempt it seems you guys sometimes have for eachother. I think wombat gets lots of bashing and i dont understand why. at least CheapyD has cheered up from last year when he was a gloomygus and i thought he was gonna just stop doing the show any moment.
THANX CAGCAST!

I love your show, and I will listen no matter what, but everyone can use improvement somewhere. So here's the real dish. If you don't want to talk about the stuff in a segment, just don't do the segment. You don't even have to mention it- skip it! People won't complain (ok, someone will) if you don't do Wombat's News and Stuff. If there's no interesting news, don't force it. Or better yet, if none of the 3 of you know about the news, don't bother.

I know it's kind of a hassle for all of you to do this show, what with children, pooping mishaps, and girls basketball going on, but we appreciate it. Keep it up.

I would like to see more reviews from you 3. Or perhaps, have more round table discussions about games you've all played. I know it was a while ago, but the 3 of you all talking about Mass Effect 2 was really fun and interesting.

Great podcast. WOMBAT for constructive criticism:

Only thing I sometimes have issues with, is when you are not interested in a game or genre (especially if its a handheld), you just blow it off without sounding open to talk about or show any interest in it. Just this past show DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 was stated as a new release and you sarcastically said " It sure did" and moved on. A lot of gamers love handheld systems and also different gaming genres than you so maybe you should just show some interest or at least enquire about the game a little.

Keep up the great work otherwise!

Dear Douche-bags,
I gotta say you guys do a great job. I have been listening to this Pod-cast for about 4-5 years. Back then I had about ten different Pod-cast on my down-load list. Now in 2012 I only listen to about three, you guys are still my favorite. That is saying something!
Some one here said: Quote..."Overall, the podcast now seems as if there's an awkward tension between the 3 as oppose to a group think mentality in the past. Drama is nice, but Cheapy needs to straighten all this out if you know what I mean."
I think this is what actually makes the show and keeps people listening!!!!
I do not want to listen to 3 clones talking!

I know I do not have too much constructive criticism, I think you do a great job. Would like to see more reviews from you three. I would also like to see more talk about family games or games you could play with your children since we are all getting a little older. Such as Skylanders, something everyone can play and have fun with! That being said can I win the ultra violent game Mortal Kombat??? haha
Keep up the good work.

How is this for constructive criticism: Cheapy why would you even consider not doing the CAG party!? I believe the CAG community deserves to have a treat every year and get to interact in person with the people they spend hours listening to on the podcasts. If non-cags going is a problem do an invitation-only, if it's too stressful have someone help you, it's its not fun enough for you consider drinking more next time! Please don't take away one of the things that make E3 week even better for LA and e3 attending CAGS.

[quote name='Z_meista']I wish there was a fairer way to win the Mortal Kombat raffle. otherwise, great show.[/QUOTE]

This guy gets my vote for winning the game^^^

My biggest criticism of the show is that you guys just don't cover enough games like the other podcasts. I've never seen gamers so picky about games like the hosts. Titles like Dark Souls are never even given a chance. If Cheapy doesn't like the demo, he usually doesn't bother playing the full games.

Numerous releases even high profile games are completely ignored. The big release last week was Binary Domain, and Ship was the only one who bothered giving it a chance. Wombat even said he wouldn't play it.

And if it is a PS3 exclusive, oh hell, forget about it even being mentioned. From last year, Yakuza 4, Infamous 2, Resistance 3 , No More Heroes, LBP 2, Killzone 3, Ico/Shadow collection.. .I don't think any of these titles were discussed. I can pretty much forget about hearing any discussion on Journey next Cagcast even though it's getting rave reviews! Yet, Xbox exclusives like Gears and Forza are gushed over non-stop.

On the plus side, the podcast is almost always entertaining and well organized. Also, I'm the same age as Cheapy so I can relate to a lot of his comments and stories.

bread's done
Back