CAGcast #273: The Wombat Syndrome

Congrats to CAG for being a sponsor for Final Round. I watched it all weekend and find fighting games to be more watchable than a lot of the other esports games.

Great show as always. Just about the only criticism I can provide, and something that bugs me when others do it, is that the reason we listen to the CAGcast is because we like and value YOUR opinion. Just remember no matter how much a dead horse has been beaten by some one else, we are here to see/hear/read how you guys beat that dead horse. Again we are listening because of you. Bread's done.

I picked a wrong week to start posting, since everyone wants to win Mortal Kombat, but I felt compelled.

I'm not sure why everyone has such a problem with Wombat. He's on this podcast to offer conjecture about the video game industry, which he does well. I'm sure those who think they could do a better job discussing their hobbies on a weekly podcast would be sadly mistaken. Wombat, I give you credit for offering your thoughts each week as I find you, Ship, and Cheapy extremely entertaining to listen to. Your collective contributions make the CAGcast my favorite video games podcast since I began listening 2-3 years ago. So count me as apart of the (previously) silent majority who feels that you do a great job.

But I'm from Long Island too, so maybe I'm just biased.

--Regarding GameStop--
Sometimes it's scary like either Wombat really is the voice of the people or he's following me around the internet and improving my arguments.

I think it's clear that the publishers are punishing the paying customers with all the code locking* they do. To them I would iterate Wombat's word exactly. Either take your fight (from the paying customers) to the GameStops or just admit you don't care that much about used games sales.

As we've heard on the CAGcast numerous times it's rarely ever important to get your games at GameStop or even pre-order them. Games just don't sell out and when they do they don't sell out for an entire week. There are many stores you can get your games from. GameStop doesn't HAVE to be the exclusive.

I'd take it a step farther and do the same with GameStop. If GameStop really has all this clout with publishers. They should be able to ask for empty DVD cases instead of gutting games and selling them new.

--Constructive critic for Cheapy--
Actually I do have something I'd like addressed. When you're tearing down a company for something like say the PSN for X reason. You don't explain enough what you'd like to see happen. You just assume we all have Xboxs and know what you're talking about. I don't have and have never really used an Xbox so for instance I've never had it explained to me how game updates work on XBL aside from "it's faster". I get the impression there's something more than that.

* locking content behind codes you have to "redeem online". i.e. Project $10, online pass, etc

Constructive criticism...

This is gonna be tough. I'd guess it would be nice for at least one of you guys to do more gaming on the PC, I'm sure more listeners would like to hear about PC gaming. I know you guys have Macs, ever though of dual booting to Windows or just getting a $500 gaming PC?

Cheapy how about some more crazy stories about Japan? I always get a kick out of it when you mention going places and being the tall, white guy and standing out.

The show's format is fine, I think you guys need another episode where you look back at past episodes and funny moments. The three of you guys work well together.

As for Shipwreck, any chance Mrs Ship will be on the show or how about another Foreplay Episode?

As I said in the previous episode thread, I honestly would like Wombat to continue to question and be the "devil's advocate" when it comes to news stories. I usually never agree with him when he does, but I love hearing it from a different analytical point of view. I find it very reminiscent of Roger Ebert and his reviews. I have rarely ever agreed with them, yet reading them gives me a different perspective I might have never thought about. I love that when Wombat does it. It makes the discussion much more deep in my ears. Even though sometimes I know even Wombat himself may not believe his point of view, it is fresh to hear an opposite view to everyone agreeing. And yes there will be backlash from those views, but honestly who could care less in my eyes. If people want to listen they will, and if they don't they won't. You will always have a loyal fanbase.

Second minor recommendation to improve the show, remove the whole episode feedback unless it's ridiculously hilarious. I listen to your shows, and I form my own opinion whether I agree or disagree myself. I do not need to hear random CAGs sounding like infants trying to be "trolls" or whatever. It really takes away from the show personally. It's as if people do it so you guys will just read it on the show, and to me that does not feel genuine nor constructive to the show in general.

Otherwise, love the show since episode 1. Insane it has been 7 years :O

Oh and I'm really buzzed right now and this all took a lot of effort to write so I hope it makes sense and you take it into consideration. *cheers*

Hey how do you delete this if you have to download it on Alan iPad? Normally you would select the podcast but idk where it is or if you can do it with this?

Cheapy, I like your thinking. I don't have a good suggestion for what you should do with the money, but I do like your thought-process. A scholarship would be neat. Starting a nonprofit popped into my head, but I don't know how that would work with you living in Japan. Hopefully someone thought of a good idea. You could always just do the party. Shipwreck and Wombat seem to enjoy it.

[quote name='kingkiller33']And if it is a PS3 exclusive, oh hell, forget about it even being mentioned. From last year, Yakuza 4, Infamous 2, Resistance 3 , No More Heroes, LBP 2, Killzone 3, Ico/Shadow collection.. .I don't think any of these titles were discussed. I can pretty much forget about hearing any discussion on Journey next Cagcast even though it's getting rave reviews! Yet, Xbox exclusives like Gears and Forza are gushed over non-stop.[/QUOTE]

I will say you are right about Yakuza 4 (it's unopened on my shelf), No More Heroes (none of us have played any game in that series), and LittleBigPlanet 2 (none of us liked the first game). Resistance 3 was definitely discussed as it was one of my favorite FPS from last year. Infamous 2 was also discussed - although the majority of the discussion was about Festival of Blood. I'm pretty sure we probably said something about Killzone 3 too, since I know Cheapy and I played it. As for the Ico/Shadow collection, there's not much to say other than those are old games that are now in HD.

[quote name='shipwreck']I will say you are right about Yakuza 4 (it's unopened on my shelf), No More Heroes (none of us have played any game in that series), and LittleBigPlanet 2 (none of us liked the first game). Resistance 3 was definitely discussed as it was one of my favorite FPS from last year. Infamous 2 was also discussed - although the majority of the discussion was about Festival of Blood. I'm pretty sure we probably said something about Killzone 3 too, since I know Cheapy and I played it. As for the Ico/Shadow collection, there's not much to say other than those are old games that are now in HD.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention Infamous 2 kind of got lost in the chaos that was E3 since it was released that week...

Wombat is REALLY hard headed sometimes. Step outside yourself. How stupid do you have to be to not see the usefulness of the HBO app on the xbox for some people? It would allow access to HBO on demand on TV's that are not on your main digital box. Same with the Xfinity or FIOS app that I'm sure Wombat will also not be able to figure out. Parents would be able to save hundreds of dollars in digital box rental fees if they could just get cable programs in the Xbox the kids already have.

Constructive criticism: There are three podcast hosts. When one is sick or goes away, the other two can continue the show. Right now it seems if Wombat gets a tummy ache Cheapy is all too eager to cancel the show and put it off until next week.

[quote name='kingkiller33']My biggest criticism of the show is that you guys just don't cover enough games like the other podcasts. I've never seen gamers so picky about games like the hosts. Titles like Dark Souls are never even given a chance. If Cheapy doesn't like the demo, he usually doesn't bother playing the full games.

Numerous releases even high profile games are completely ignored. The big release last week was Binary Domain, and Ship was the only one who bothered giving it a chance. Wombat even said he wouldn't play it.[/QUOTE]

Shipwreck and Wombat both have full time jobs, and Wombat has two young kids, so it's not surprising he doesn't play and cover as many games as the people on other gaming podcasts who actually work in the gaming media.

And expecting Cheapy to play games like Dark Souls that we all know he would hate is silly.

[quote name='shipwreck']i will say you are right about yakuza 4 (it's unopened on my shelf), no more heroes (none of us have played any game in that series), and littlebigplanet 2 (none of us liked the first game). Resistance 3 was definitely discussed as it was one of my favorite fps from last year. Infamous 2 was also discussed - although the majority of the discussion was about festival of blood. I'm pretty sure we probably said something about killzone 3 too, since i know cheapy and i played it. As for the ico/shadow collection, there's not much to say other than those are old games that are now in hd.[/quote]

Yakuza 4 is so good!

Here's my thoughts on the CAGcast.

The CAGcast is one my favorite podcasts and has always stuck with me while others like the giant bombcast have come and gone i keep finding myself coming back to the CAGcast because I like the hosts. Every one of you(the hosts) have something that I like and it keeps me coming back. I feel you all balance each other out very well, shipwreck balances out the crazyness and offtopic-ness that wombat and cheapy tend to get into and on the other side; cheapy and wombat keep it entertaining.

It annoys me when listening to a podcast that nobody shares my view on topics and i find that at least one of you guys has a similar view, like the whole kickstarter thing. I agreed with wombat heavily on both counts.

Also, You guys or at least wombat should go to PAX east, i'd love to meet him.

Keep it up guys, another great CAGcast.

Here's my constructive criticism for a shot at the MK:
It seems like the 3 of you on the show are strictly console gamers, and generally, Xbox users. I can't disagree with you, i prefer my xbox over my ps3 as well, but it might bring more to the show to be more inclusive of ps3 games, and pc games. this would probably lean more towards pc games though, as the pc has more exclusives than the ps3 does. just a suggestion, and keep up the great work on the show!

There is nothing wrong with the show. You guy's always have interesting conversations that are relate able to a man around the same age as you guys and with similar interests. Just allow the jokes to breathe a little and don't force them and you'll be fine.

Just listened to this episode. I had a question and a comment.

Question: Where does the handheld game machine go when Shipwreck is done on the toilet? Does it put it on the floor? On the toilet paper roll? This is a real head scratcher.

Comment: I never cry at movies either but there were two movies that ALMOST got me. The aforementioned Iron Giant and....Click, yes the Adam Sandler/Christopher Walken movie. At least I am man enough to admit it.

Well this might be a little late , but thus far you guys are doing great on the show. Room for improvement would be, have you thought of making some video specials? For instance the christmas drive, or for the award show?

Great show as usual. I find it funny that people are always dogging on Wombat. I'm also amazed at how touchy people are when Cheapy, and Shipwreck share their thoughts on the Vita. I'm a PS3 / PSP owner who really thinks that Sony is (at the very least) fumbling the ball this generation. While the Vita is interesting to me, I'm definitely going to hold off until the first price drop before I take the plunge.

Constructive criticism contest submission:

Wombat,

Keep your chin up and don't change a thing. You are who you are and if that makes some people get upset then that's their problem. Think of it this way: at least you get'em talking because it's better to be heartily disagreed with than to not even discussed at all. That said, you can only review/discuss games from your own point of view. Your opinion--and everyone else's--is entirely subjective. I don't listen to CAGcast to hear Greg Miller's opinion about games. I listen to hear yours. (and Cheapy and 'wrecks) I reckon the only real thing I can criticize about your podcast is that sometimes you seem to give a knee jerk reaction toward certain games while in the same breath you say you haven't really played it or know anything about it other than 'that one time with the demo at that one show.' In that case: my thoughts are you should just say you think 'whatevergame' isn't your cup of tea and move on.

Keep having fun, Betademo

PS: Anyone who reads this post thinking there's maybe a little too much brown nosing going on can kiss this :booty:

I've always liked the humor on the Cagcast and that's my favorite part. I also like that the podcast doesn't take itself too seriously but still provides some good information with honest opinions and great jokes on whatever the topic is at the moment.

My main criticism would be with how everyone is so busy with real life, some times certain games don't get talked about. This is only a problem because I like everyones honest take on their experiences with games and in my real life, I don't have time to check them all out either so I'd like to hear about them. On the same note, I like that everyone is busy with real life because it shows that not all of us make a living playing games and it makes for really funny stories during the show!

bread's done
Back