CAGcast #322: Press X to CAGcast

[quote name='shipwreck']I think I missed 2 audiologs in BioShock Infinite.[/QUOTE]

Regarding that girl that comes up to Elizabeth:
That was a ploy, she was confirming it was you so they could capture you guys. She made Elizabeth say her name. Elizabeth says as much after the battle, although it's kind of a throwaway line, but she says something like "That girl...she must have been with them"

Code plz.

[quote name='Wombat']No, I agree with you. I said something to Cheapy also.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jstew9']I honestly cannot believe I'm getting ready to type this but: bit vulgar on the opening song this week Cheapy. I don't mind F-bombs (its an adult show) but really it put me off starting off the show with that song. Mayhap because I started listening just after dropping my daughter off at school.

Dear God I feel old typing that.

I of course also realize the disagreements that will follow below, but it bugged me enough to decide to mention.

Still listening of course, the content of the show (poop and all) has never been a problem. Quite looking forward to the spoilercast talk later.[/QUOTE]

He has played this same audio clip before, and remixed it himself so it doesn't surprise me. I haven't forgotten about Poland.

I would not turn down a copy of Poker Night 2!

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with a lot of your criticisms in Bioshock Infinite, but that's okay. I feel like the comparisons to Bioshock 1 are maybe a bit unfair, but they do bring it on themselves by calling it Bioshock and tying it in with the previous game. Had they left out that connection and called it something else, the similarities would still be there and obvious and still draw criticism. I think the success of that first game put Irrational in a tough spot.

Oh, and Wombat, the city moves around. That's why it's not attached to the lighthouse via rail. I also think you're getting a bit lost in needing to explain how the world of Columbia works. How do you get through a comic book with that kind of criticism on your mind? :)

Poker Night 2 please

I really don't see the big deal about the sorceress' breasts in Dragon's Crown. All the characters have exaggerated features. The knight has a huge body and little legs. The dwarf is all squat with no face. The amazon's legs make Chun Li look like a wafer. It's always been George Kamitani's style anyway. Anyone remember that cover of Play Magazine? We are so up the ass of political correctness it seems taboo to claim that boys will be boys.

playcover.jpg

A good show guys....

Bioshock
I disagree all around the story was great and Cheapy if you checked out when the alt deminsion stuff started I think you missed out on a ton. Wombat I think you are off about the whole racism story line just stopping. Recall once Booker and Elizabeth used a tear to get the VOX their weapons and went to a dimension where the VOX had "won". Daisy wanted all the power and had a chip on her shoulder, rightly so to a point, but decided death and destruction was the way to get her revenge. Hell she was ready to kill a little white kid just to prove her point and Elizabeth killed her instead. It didn't go away it just kind of sort of resolved its self with the VOX taking control and Daisy's death.

As far as Comstock is Booker remember that he aged fast and became infertile due to the Lutiece's experiments. Comstock had to have an offspring to be his "lamb" and that offspring had to be his DNA hince way they had Booker give her up to pay his debts, and brought her to the Comstock reality. Mrs. Comstock didn't want to keep the secret any longer so Comstock killed he framed Daisy and sent her on that path. He had the Lutiece's killed, but they didn't "die" and now live across all time and space. They sent Booker to Columba from his reality in order to stop Comstock and get Elizabeth out of there. So I don't know if it would have worked if it was just Booker gave up his daughter to some crazy rich guy.

Also she wasn't a ghost per say , but more like a trapped between two worlds. One she was alive the other she was dead and couldn't reconcile what was going on.

That only scratches the surface of the story. This was more than a popcorn movie. Don't get me wrong it's not the Godfather, but it's not a throw away Saturday afternoon movie.

Ok with that said Poker Night 2 please....

Wombat, you should definitely play Tomb Raider, but if it's already on sale for $40, it can't be too long until $30. I'd say pick it up for $30 and play it in July...that seems like a pretty empty month. Also, if you're looking for some co-op play in Halo 4 with shipwreck, just play the campaign. Spartan ops is really boring and pointless.

Also, I'd like a Poker Night 2 code.

Constructive feedback for the code? Challenge accepted.

The show needs to change focus and have a more wombat-focused cast. Cheapy can be by and yell, "Right!" but only when instructed to. Shipwreck will make up the other part of the show telling wombat how wrong he was for his life choices and tell us all in detail what he did wrong.

That's pretty goddam constructive.

I was disappointed by the Bioshock Spoilercast. I am a longtime listener of the CAGCAST and was very excited about hearing you all discuss Bioshock Infinite. I loved the story of the game but most of my friend's are too stupid to follow it or didn't care.
So this was my chance to hear some real ideas from other people that aren't typed up in forums and blogs.

Well as it turns out Wombat didn't pay close enough attention to understand the story and Cheapy didn't care enough to pay attention, so I was left trying to hear what Boatcrash had to say in between the two of you ranting about how you didn't care or didn't understand.

Also Wombat, in my opinion, racism in Columbia wasn't a plot point it was a theme. So it was not dropped because it wasn't really relevant to the story to begin with. It was a class war between the Vox and the Founders. I really disliked how everything you didn't take the time to think about or search for answers within the game you just concluded was a plot hole. I've thought a lot about this game and do not see any glaring plot holes, there are a few points I don't fully understand but the resolution of the game works and makes the whole game work.

I recommend anyone who is convinced the game is riddled with "plot-holes" to open their mind and read this article: http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/19/u...infinites-ending-ending-explanation/view-all/ If you were missing some puzzle piece this article will help you figure it out. (this article is about the ending of the game so obvious spoilers)

I will look forward to next weeks cagcast. I might even hear wombat read part of this post in his "this guy is such a dumbass" voice that he always reads his criticism in :)

[quote name='Kfoster1979']A good show guys....

Bioshock
I disagree all around the story was great and Cheapy if you checked out when the alt deminsion stuff started I think you missed out on a ton. Wombat I think you are off about the whole racism story line just stopping. Recall once Booker and Elizabeth used a tear to get the VOX their weapons and went to a dimension where the VOX had "won". Daisy wanted all the power and had a chip on her shoulder, rightly so to a point, but decided death and destruction was the way to get her revenge. Hell she was ready to kill a little white kid just to prove her point and Elizabeth killed her instead. It didn't go away it just kind of sort of resolved its self with the VOX taking control and Daisy's death.

As far as Comstock is Booker remember that he aged fast and became infertile due to the Lutiece's experiments. Comstock had to have an offspring to be his "lamb" and that offspring had to be his DNA hince way they had Booker give her up to pay his debts, and brought her to the Comstock reality. Mrs. Comstock didn't want to keep the secret any longer so Comstock killed he framed Daisy and sent her on that path. He had the Lutiece's killed, but they didn't "die" and now live across all time and space. They sent Booker to Columba from his reality in order to stop Comstock and get Elizabeth out of there. So I don't know if it would have worked if it was just Booker gave up his daughter to some crazy rich guy.

Also she wasn't a ghost per say , but more like a trapped between two worlds. One she was alive the other she was dead and couldn't reconcile what was going on.

That only scratches the surface of the story. This was more than a popcorn movie. Don't get me wrong it's not the Godfather, but it's not a throw away Saturday afternoon movie.

Ok with that said Poker Night 2 please....[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! As always Wombat's PC way of thought doesn't let him see what is actually there. The whole point of the Vox being bad is that POWER CORRUPTS, not that just because your antiracist makes you immune from being evil.

I'm not the type of guy who complains about other people's opinions, but I found myself yelling at my Ipod during the spoiler section. When Cheapy bashed Bioshock's story, and then praised FarCry 3's I nearly lost it. I would love a poker night 2 360 code.

Good show overall guys, but I , like several others was disappointed in the Spoilercast. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I disagree with story criticisms. Dead on critique of the combat, the 1st two Bioshocks outshine this game completely. I think where this game shines is the them of redemption. Booker is trying to change the man he was and become something better. From Wounded Knee to his gambling, drinking, and activities as a Pinkerton agent, he has done horrible things. By saving this girl, he will wipe away those deeds and be reborn. Does he succeed? You decide, but it's the journey that is at the heart of the game. His emotional tie to Elizabeth grows stronger over the course of the game, and it is heartbreaking when he finds out who he really is, and what he has done.

Gimme a code please.

Good show overall guys, but I , like several others was disappointed in the Spoilercast. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I disagree with story criticisms. Dead on critique of the combat, the 1st two Bioshocks outshine this game completely. I think where this game shines is the them of redemption. Booker is trying to change the man he was and become something better. From Wounded Knee to his gambling, drinking, and activities as a Pinkerton agent, he has done horrible things. By saving this girl, he will wipe away those deeds and be reborn. Does he succeed? You decide, but it's the journey that is at the heart of the game. His emotional tie to Elizabeth grows stronger over the course of the game, and it is heartbreaking when he finds out who he really is, and what he has done.

Gimme a code please.

BIOSHOCK TALK: The racism, while a strong characteristic of the city itself, is not the reason you're killing people. When you try to throw the baseball, they call you out for having the mark of the false profit, which is why they try to kill you for the rest of the game. That was never mentioned in the discussion, and Wombat made it sound like racism was the only motive for people trying to kill you.
Overall I feel like I'm on the same page as Shipwreck on how I feel about the game. There's a lot of potential discussion when the ending takes a turn like that, which makes it more talked about and, in my case, more carefully played the second time through. I recommend you guys play through it one more time and try to pick up on all the subtle story points you may have missed before.

I'm shocked about your opinions of Star Trek being bad? I have it on the PS3 which I got for $50. I called it a 3rd Person FPS/Adventure/Puzzle game. Kind of like Uncharted in a Star Trek Universe. Me and My son really like the Co Op mode.

I'm not very good at Poker, but I would start a new character in Borderlands 2 just to have the Evil Ash head available to me! This sounds ahh-mazing! Code please?

[quote name='jstew9']I honestly cannot believe I'm getting ready to type this but: bit vulgar on the opening song this week Cheapy. I don't mind F-bombs (its an adult show) but really it put me off starting off the show with that song. Mayhap because I started listening just after dropping my daughter off at school.

Dear God I feel old typing that.

I of course also realize the disagreements that will follow below, but it bugged me enough to decide to mention.[/QUOTE]

Have you never heard DJ CheapyD's classics "Ass and Tetris" and "Take a Lick of Megaman?" :)

[quote name='Bojizzle']BIOSHOCK TALK: The racism, while a strong characteristic of the city itself, is not the reason you're killing people. When you try to throw the baseball, they call you out for having the mark of the false profit, which is why they try to kill you for the rest of the game. That was never mentioned in the discussion, and Wombat made it sound like racism was the only motive for people trying to kill you.
Overall I feel like I'm on the same page as Shipwreck on how I feel about the game. There's a lot of potential discussion when the ending takes a turn like that, which makes it more talked about and, in my case, more carefully played the second time through. I recommend you guys play through it one more time and try to pick up on all the subtle story points you may have missed before.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it was the reason to kill people. I said it was my reason. There is a difference. We all have our own motivations to kill thousands of people.

[quote name='hoofrog']Also, Injustice needs Ambush Bug DLC.[/QUOTE]

This!

Also, regarding Bioshock Infinite: I am on the Wombat bandwagon when he spoke of the change in the baseball/lottery scene. Make it about the vigors. That way the whole aspect of the vigors fits the gameplay as it did in Bioshock 1. Is Booker really the only one person that uses multiple superpowers?

It took me about 15-20 tries to beat the last level, but I did it on Hard mode for my first playthrough.

I did find Bioshock to be a fantastic game based solely on setting. Like Rapture, Columbia is a great place to play a game in. But, there were too many little things that pulled me out of the gameplay such as the trashcan sandwiches, ammo atmosphere. However, this game did not live up to the ultra-high expectations. The anticipation for this game was so high for so many people, and it just didn't reach that level. But, the metacritic reviews prove that most critics are looking at games like this on a pedestal. Much like the fanboys that say "Dark Knight Rises" is a good movie. There was too much hype and expectation.

And, Bioshock was not a riskier game than Tomb Raider. Bioshock could do whatever, where Tomb Raider was a reboot.

And, a Poker Night 2 code would be nice.

Enjoyed the show. I had an issue one hour in to Riptide, system completely locked on me. That was about 3 days ago and I haven't gone back since, I have moved on to Injustice. I don't feel ripped off but I don't understand how a game can go from being decent the first run through but falling apart in the "add-on" sequel. Hoping to win a code, thanks for the chance!

Maybe you should tweet the Injustice account about that Arrow skin. There was a lot of confusion about who is and isn't getting one. I think everyone that voted in their online battles got the confirmation even though it is limited to 5000 codes. I think they just need to release the code for free. They obviously recorded separate dialog with the actor from the show so why not let everyone hear it?

Oh, and the voice of Green Arrow is Alan Tudyk (also from Firefly), the actor from Arrow just supplies his voice with his skin.

Also, please put me in the running for a Poker Night 2 code.

Don't have a 360 so don't need a poker 2 code.

I was quite jazzed for that game as well because "Ash" was in the game, until I could tell in the trailer that it wasn't Bruce Campbell's voice. The voice is so much a part of the character that I don't know why they even considered moving forward with Ash as a poker character without his involvement, especially since they took the time to secure the voices for the rest of the characters. It'd be like having the character of Optimus Prime without Peter Cullen doing the voice.

I would also say Wombat made the right CAG move, by the time he finishes with Halo 4, Tomb Raider will probably be $30 or less. Based on past price progressions, I doubt Halo 4 will be going lower than $30 for quite awhile.

The difficulty of localizing the game as it is being made is the text likely changes constantly during development. The benefit of waiting till the game is done is the script is locked and they won't end up wasting time and money translating things that will get completely thrown out or changed. Also don't be so quick to call for outsourcing and rush jobs of translations, then you end up with the bad Engrish translations like in the NES, even up to as late as the PS1, days.

Not even entertaining the idea of trying a show which is praised for its quality and good storytelling because its DC is what I would consider the definition of "irrational dislike".

I think the main reason reviewers downgraded "Dead Island: Stand Alone Expansion" is, from the reviewer's perspective, the devs decided to coast and not fix many of the same flaws from the original game which was developed almost 2 years ago. It's the same reason latter versions of Dynasty Warriors get such low scores, they grade down for lack of incremental improvements which should come in game sequels.

Considering the Kotaku guy called the character artist who designed the sorceress immature and the brilliant comeback the artist came up with was "ya, well your gay" I would say he was dead on with that 14 year old comment.

Glad for another show, but I think I disagree with your assessment of the game. It sounded like you guys were searching for things to complain about with it, but that might just be me. Personally, I found BioShock Infinite to be one of my favorites of the year so far. Yes, the story was really confusing, but it was a video game story, it doesn't have to make sense. Maybe you guys were just reading too much into it? I dunno...

I've noticed something in the last few shows...it almost sounds like you guys are kinda getting annoyed with games anymore. I mean, I was excited for another Batman game coming out this year, as I thought Wombat would be, but you just seemed very meh about it. No, it's not by Rocksteady, but it's by a LOT of the guys that have previously worked with the engine when they did the Wii U port, which, from the reviews I've read, was just as good as the original. I mean, I get it, there really hasn't been that many good games to come out recently, but you guys just seem to be over gaming for some reason, more finding nitpicky things to complain about than anything else.

Love the show regardless, always look forward to the next episode. Just thought I'd throw my two cents into the ring. Thanks!

Hey guys my first time writing in & i just found you guys a couple of weeks ago and i am hooked already!

Since you guys liked The new superman trailer i wanted to see if you have watched the New Thor Trailer? Also doesn't it annoy you when they spoiler things in trailers like they sort of do at the end of this there was no need to show that! Just like in the fast and furious films Letty dies and in the new movie trailer they show her alive at the end of it what is the point im and the end know where i will stop watching trailers!

Good show as usual. Until.....

Re: the BioShock Infinite discussion (no spoilers) -

Shipwreck is the only one who even began to understand what was going on in the game. I found it especially humorous when Wombat wanted the game to be about Vigors, and then promptly made it a retelling of BioShock 1 (abuse of vigors, leading to conflict, eventual societal downfall). The game is not about racism - it never was. Despite the grand scope, it's a much more personal story. I wish you guys would have discussed the "actual" story, not vague wishes on what it "should" have been. It's hard to take the criticisms seriously when you didn't understand the story as is. If you guys do a spoilercast again, come prepared. A good 30 min. of reading would have answered a LOT of your initial confusion.

There's plenty to complain about in the game (it's usually a matter of how much you're willing to overlook). A lot of the questions raised during the show have clues, allusions, etc littered in the game about which you could discuss. But it's those hooks that were totally overlooked. If your complaint is that the game is too subtle about itself or it didn't spell things out clearly enough, that's a perfectly legit complaint. I personally enjoyed the cryptic, complicated nature since it led itself to online discussion so well. I haven't had an experience like this since Half-Life 2. Purely personal preference though.

Ship or Wombat brought up different iterations of the game, since it seemed like it went through so many. That is true. Check out the original and E3 2011 reveal.

[youtube]j8z6FOL0G1c[/youtube]

[youtube]C7BbE4LnMuE[/youtube]

It should be noted that the original BioShock went through the same, if not more drastic, of treatment.

Also, if there are any codes left, I would like to be added to the pool.

You guys forgot to mention that Xbox 360 Pizza Hut app got you an additional 15% off your order. Stack that on top of one of their deals and you've got CheapAssPizza.

I would love to get a Poker Night 2 code, thanks.

[quote name='letsgetacid']Good show as usual. Until.....

Re: the BioShock Infinite discussion (no spoilers) -

Shipwreck is the only one who even began to understand what was going on in the game. I found it especially humorous when Wombat wanted the game to be about Vigors, and then promptly made it a retelling of BioShock 1 (abuse of vigors, leading to conflict, eventual societal downfall). The game is not about racism - it never was. Despite the grand scope, it's a much more personal story. I wish you guys would have discussed the "actual" story, not vague wishes on what it "should" have been. It's hard to take the criticisms seriously when you didn't understand the story as is. If you guys do a spoilercast again, come prepared. A good 30 min. of reading would have answered a LOT of your initial confusion.

There's plenty to complain about in the game (it's usually a matter of how much you're willing to overlook). A lot of the questions raised during the show have clues, allusions, etc littered in the game about which you could discuss. But it's those hooks that were totally overlooked. If your complaint is that the game is too subtle about itself or it didn't spell things out clearly enough, that's a perfectly legit complaint. I personally enjoyed the cryptic, complicated nature since it led itself to online discussion so well. I haven't had an experience like this since Half-Life 2. Purely personal preference though.

Ship or Wombat brought up different iterations of the game, since it seemed like it went through so many. That is true. Check out the original and E3 2011 reveal.

It should be noted that the original BioShock went through the same, if not more drastic, of treatment.

Also, if there are any codes left, I would like to be added to the pool.[/QUOTE]

I read up a lot before we did the show and I understood the story. My opinion is just different than yours. Next time instead if discussing what I felt the game should have done or could have done I will read a synopsis of the plot. That seems to be what everyone wants.

It took me a long time to get into DC, I've just started reading old Teen Titans (the 1984 one with fancy paper!). I actually read Sandman, but it was on Vertigo rather than main DC. I do respect that the company makes better tv shows, which ranks higher than the Marvel movies combined, for me.

Big boobs in Dragon's Crown? If we play Vanillaware's other games, you're going to be ogling jailbait.

So I just about spit my drink out of my mouth when I heard Cheapy say Far Cry 3 has a better story than Bioshock Infinite.
The only other thing that bothered me was that Wombat had such a problem with the Vox turning out to be just as ruthless as Comstock's followers. History has a long tradition of a revolutions where the rebels turn out to be just as ruthless as the group that it replaced. This frequently happened in Europe and Latin America, and can be seen in Africa today.

I've really enjoyed the two Vanillaware games I've played, especially the great, detailed art style and the quality of the animation, though it's always been the weird fascination with having a lot of characters with bizarre proportions that I didn't like that much. Dragon's Crown follows that grand tradition, but it looks like it'll be fun enough that the issues some have with it doesn't bother me.

The thing about the Pizza Hut app that people are criticizing is the notion that you'd use your console to order pizza instead of the phone, computer, or tablet that you've had access to for years. It's ridiculous to hype up that sort of app because it's not like the normal media apps that they offer.

Would you order a pizza off of the Pizza Hut app if it had achievements?

Great show guys keep up the good work.
(I would gladly accept a 360 code for Poker night)

[quote name='jstew9']I honestly cannot believe I'm getting ready to type this but: bit vulgar on the opening song this week Cheapy. I don't mind F-bombs (its an adult show) but really it put me off starting off the show with that song . . . [/QUOTE]
I wasn't too fond of the intro song either. I noticed bickle seems to post "show notes" listing the times particular topics are discussed. Not sure if this is done simply out of his/her own free will for the benefit of other CAGs, but it'd be nice if it was on the first or second post. I'd also like to mention that Poker Night 2 is only singleplayer. I don't recall this being mentioned in the podcast, and it might be good information for people interested in winning/buying it, thinking they could play with friends.

P.S. I am interested in winning 1 of the 3 Xbox codes.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Something important and constructive (as judged by Wombat):
jOPFxKr.jpg

Great show guys. Thanks![/QUOTE]

:applause:

I don't get a vote but if I did you'd get it. Please give yourself a nice pat on the back.

re: Pizza Hut app

If you could somehow replace "Pizza Hut" with whatever your favorite fast food is, wouldn't it be the greatest thing ever? Wouldn't you use it? I think most people would, if it were for something they liked.

[quote name='Obsidian_J']I really don't see the big deal about the sorceress' breasts in Dragon's Crown. All the characters have exaggerated features. The knight has a huge body and little legs. The dwarf is all squat with no face. The amazon's legs make Chun Li look like a wafer. It's always been George Kamitani's style anyway. Anyone remember that cover of Play Magazine? We are so up the ass of political correctness it seems taboo to claim that boys will be boys.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

These are exaggerated characters, breasts come in different sizes, to exaggerate them you really have only two options here people. Go big and be scoffed at for being childish, go small and your seen as depicting kids. You guys covered the full range of breast exaggeration in one episode. So what now, only average size depictions of the human body or just breasts in particular?

Plus, isn't killing another human much worse than some breasts in 2013.

No little Johnny you can see the two men killing each other and ripping their spines out of their bodies but don't look at the big lady parts. Only realistic breasts are allowed in video games we can't over exaggerate the female body but we can have guys being shot hundreds of time gushing blood while looking like rambo. If a kid(parent) can understand the difference between real violence and video game fantasy then the kid understands breasts can only get so big, so either ban it all or relax.

Good Show. Why doesn't Wombat use gamefly? It seems like the perfect service for him and will allow him to play the new releases like Cheapy and Shipwreak without having to buy everything day one.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Good Show. Why doesn't Wombat use gamefly? It seems like the perfect service for him and will allow him to play the new releases like Cheapy and Shipwreak without having to buy everything day one.[/QUOTE]

Yea, because we know how great GF is with getting you new releases near the release.

[quote name='iwannadie']Yea, because we know how great GF is with getting you new releases near the release.[/QUOTE]

I've been a gamefly member for years now and haven't had any issues with getting games on release. All you have to do is make sure its the only game on your queue before the game releases.

I completely agree with wombat on the Injustice demo...I am a big DC fan and loved the past MK.When i downloaded the demo and picked Batman I was so excited....by the time the 4th fight against Doomsday was up I was just trying to get through it so I could say I gave it a shot and then deleted it...disappointed.Glad to the full game seems better.
I would love to have one of the Poker Night 2 codes for the Xbox 360.
Thanks

The Bioshock discussion was maddening. I expected as much from Cheapy, but was surprised at Shipwreck and Wombat. The story all comes together at the end. I thought the game as a whole was overrated, but I was amazed by the intricacies of the story and how they all worked together. I thought it was more akin to a Nolan film like Momento, The Dark Knight or Inception than it was a summer popcorn movie.

Wombat is right, I watch subtitled versions of Japanese shows like Kamen Rider, and Super Sentai. Japanese-savvy fans can subtitle 2 hours worth of content within 2-3 days of the episode's original release, FOR FREE. Now if that is possible, then why the hell can't Nintendo pay somebody to do the same job for a video game. If anything, the game would have month gap in between international releases, but that's a whole lot better than 6 months.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Wombat is right, I watch subtitled versions of Japanese shows like Kamen Rider, and Super Sentai. Japanese-savvy fans can subtitle 2 hours worth of content within 2-3 days of the episode's original release, FOR FREE. Now if that is possible, then why the hell can't Nintendo pay somebody to do the same job for a video game. If anything, the game would have month gap in between international releases, but that's a whole lot better than 6 months.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it is more about keeping content intact. You wouldn't want the new star wars script out for voice over acting a year before the movie comes out would you? Imagine all the changes that might be mode during filming, you want to hold onto that content as long as possible.

Also, how about leaks? Imagine if the new Bioshock script was leaked a year ago and the story dissected, would you still be as excited to play it? Or imagine the newest awesome Kamen Rider story was spoiled by leaked translated scripts. It's not a huge deal if a story gets leaked when the game is already out in another country, not much you can do about it because fans could translate it as they play.

Instead, the best thing to do is hold onto all the scripts until the very last minute. I don't think they are finishing the game a year before the retail release and then just sitting on it. We all know how deadlines are, they are pushing deadlines right up until the game launch date.

Phew that was close. For a minute there I thought I was going to be agreeing with Wombat about Bioshock Infinite. I was with him about the gameplay which I also enjoyed. I felt like I had a nice variety of options in combat and while I had my own favorite Vigors and weapons, other people loved the stuff I didn't use much. That seems like a well designed system to me. It might not be as claustrophobic and individually focused as Bioshock was, but the wide open environments and mobility fit perfectly with the setting in the same way that Bioshock's combat matched it's setting.

But then Wombat started talking about the story. His comparison of the story to that of a Hollywood summer popcorn flick couldn't be more dismissive and inaccurate. The problem with most videogame stories is that they are as mindless and simple as those popcorn flicks. It's rare that a videogame actually rewards players who think about it, discuss it and replay it but that's exactly what Bioshock Infinite does. While the gameplay might scream Summer blockbuster the story runs along the lines of an independent art house picture. Like the story or not, it certainly has a lot going on in it and most of it isn't shoved right in the player's face.

Sorry for the rant. I don't mind if someone doesn't particularly care for the story or style of storytelling. CheapyD has long said he just wants easy to follow stories that he doesn't have to think about. But dismissing the story and essentially calling it fluff just seemed a bit ignorant to me.

Anyways, still love the CAGcast and been an avid listener of Uninformed Opinions since it's inception so keep up the good work all.

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Wombat is right, I watch subtitled versions of Japanese shows like Kamen Rider, and Super Sentai. Japanese-savvy fans can subtitle 2 hours worth of content within 2-3 days of the episode's original release, FOR FREE. Now if that is possible, then why the hell can't Nintendo pay somebody to do the same job for a video game. If anything, the game would have month gap in between international releases, but that's a whole lot better than 6 months.[/QUOTE]
That's called piracy, and we don't allow it here on this site. Besides, unlike these quick and sloppy fansubbers, we have an expectation of localizers to give us the best possible product.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']I've been a gamefly member for years now and haven't had any issues with getting games on release. All you have to do is make sure its the only game on your queue before the game releases.[/QUOTE]

Or RedBox. I played through BioShock Infinite with two separate rentals, five days total. Pretty cheap way to play through something if you can create the time to sit down and power through a title.

Personally, I enjoyed the SpoilerCast -- even if I think the guys got a lot of things wrong/twisted in the discussion. Still, it was entertaining to hear a different take on it all. However, I will point out that I did agree with Wombat over his description of Bioshock Infinite being a popcorn movie or comfort food. I'm a guy that likes hot dogs and in my city, I have several places to get one from gas stations to bars to restaurants and they're all pretty good... expect for the Yucatan Dog at the Jackalope. The Yucatan is served on a hoagie roll and is topped with slow smoked pulled pork, Monterrey jack cheese, pineapple pice de gallo, and spicy mayo and is obviously in a league of it's own when compared to other hot dogs.

I think that's what Infinite was for me. Far Cry 3 was another excellent FPS that has tons of great things going for it, but if I'm craving a Yucatan Dog, there's only one place in town that has it. Also for an additioanl $1.99, you get served waffle fries with it which, I guess is the DLC in this metaphor... I dunno, my brain is now stuck on hot dogs.

Also, I'm disappointed that not one discussion about Infinite from all the gaming podcasts I listen to ever brought up the fact that the baddies carry pineapples in their pockets. Or the PRESS X TO ACCEPT BAPTISM prompt. Those were the most gamey game-things in Bioshock and I loved how dumb it was.

I would also like Poker Night 2.

bread's done
Back