CAGcast #322: Press X to CAGcast

[quote name='io']
Or are you just talking about having to quit playing and not having hit a save point yet? I guess that would be annoying (especially since the first Bioshock let you save any time) - but I would never even bother firing up a game like this if I only had 20 minutes to play anyway so I usually passed many, many save points in a given game session. Plus, it seemed like it was autosaving pretty frequently as well.[/QUOTE]

I realize how I could have been clearer. Dying was fine, even though you did get punished for it. I'm talking about having to quit and come back to the game. Also, reloading a checkpoint, because I didn't like how something turned out or was afraid I missed something, often set me back 20 minutes or so. I'm totally willing to accept that this is more of an issue for me but I don't think it's one that couldn't be addressed with some more thoughtful game design.

[quote name='triplehelix']I was disappointed by the Bioshock Spoilercast. I am a longtime listener of the CAGCAST and was very excited about hearing you all discuss Bioshock Infinite. I loved the story of the game but most of my friend's are too stupid to follow it or didn't care.
So this was my chance to hear some real ideas from other people that aren't typed up in forums and blogs.

Well as it turns out Wombat didn't pay close enough attention to understand the story and Cheapy didn't care enough to pay attention, so I was left trying to hear what Boatcrash had to say in between the two of you ranting about how you didn't care or didn't understand.

Also Wombat, in my opinion, racism in Columbia wasn't a plot point it was a theme. So it was not dropped because it wasn't really relevant to the story to begin with. It was a class war between the Vox and the Founders. I really disliked how everything you didn't take the time to think about or search for answers within the game you just concluded was a plot hole. I've thought a lot about this game and do not see any glaring plot holes, there are a few points I don't fully understand but the resolution of the game works and makes the whole game work.

I recommend anyone who is convinced the game is riddled with "plot-holes" to open their mind and read this article: http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/19/u...infinites-ending-ending-explanation/view-all/ If you were missing some puzzle piece this article will help you figure it out. (this article is about the ending of the game so obvious spoilers)

I will look forward to next weeks cagcast. I might even hear wombat read part of this post in his "this guy is such a dumbass" voice that he always reads his criticism in :)[/QUOTE]

+1

Also very disappointed with their BI discussion. No mention of the multiple light houses, no real attempt to understand what Levine was trying to say through the game. Gameplay criticism is fair, a game is fun or its not. perhaps next time they should ask the audience to submit questions for discussion in hopes that the next spoiler discussion is more balanced.

[quote name='itachiitachi']So then as long as Hyper sexualized female characters are aimed at females it's ok.[/QUOTE]

No and that dosen't even make sense.I never said it was okay but you have to at least understand that it's different. A male armored hulk character is not the same as a female character with huge breasts and revealing outfits. And I don't mean "oh it's different so it's okay" I mean one thing is clearly meant to be sexual the other is clearly not.

[quote name='oxidative']I realize how I could have been clearer. Dying was fine, even though you did get punished for it. I'm talking about having to quit and come back to the game. Also, reloading a checkpoint, because I didn't like how something turned out or was afraid I missed something, often set me back 20 minutes or so. I'm totally willing to accept that this is more of an issue for me but I don't think it's one that couldn't be addressed with some more thoughtful game design.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha - I guess I never experienced that as I never reloaded a checkpoint and since I only had 4 or 5 days to play the game I spent hours on it at a time ;).

BTW, I am liking the original Bioshock a little more now that I've gotten further in. I kind of still don't like the constant (and apparently respawning) combat. I would like to be able to explore on occasion without being attacked like in Infinite. But I do like the multiple tonic slots and upgrades that are available.

[quote name='volt1up']No and that dosen't even make sense.I never said it was okay but you have to at least understand that it's different. A male armored hulk character is not the same as a female character with huge breasts and revealing outfits. And I don't mean "oh it's different so it's okay" I mean one thing is clearly meant to be sexual the other is clearly not.[/QUOTE]
Both character types are meant to be sexually attractive, whether it's what you want to look like or what you want the person your fucking to look like doesn't seem to be very different.

I feel like with Bioshock Infinite you guys got too caught up in the flaky crust to enjoy the delicious pie center.

I think it's the lack of understanding about the main theme of the story. The game is entirely about booker/comstock. The racism was a subplot, and it's not like it went away, the city dissolved into war (little busy trying to not die to be racist, also they were in an alternate universe by then.) The Vox Populi turning out to be shitty also doesn't attempt to justify Columbia's racism.

Your desire to want to dumb down the story so it makes sense without observing the backstory makes little to no sense to me.

Though I can totally understand how the nuances and understanding can/will be totally lost if you aren't paying attention.

You guys complained about the story without seemingly understanding half of it.

Also, Lady Comstock wasn't a traditional "ghost" she was an entity of her from a universe in which she was still alive mixed with Elizabeth's feelings for her. They very clearly address that at the end of the boss fight.

I don't want to read through the thread in fear of Bioshock spoilers but can someone tell me the name of the videogame used in the intro mix song? I know the game I just can't remember and its bothering me.

[quote name='shipwreck']I had seen Riptide at PAX so I had a better idea what it was. I never got very deep into Dragon's Dogma when it came out originally, so I wasn't up to date on exactly what Dark Arisen was.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. Wasn't originally sure if it was dismissiveness or just not knowing on your part, which is why I pointed it out. Thanks for the response. I'm just so used to you being knowledgeable about all video games ever, Shipwreck. ;)

I never got too far into Dogma either, trying to decide if it would be worth upgrading to Dark Arisen and giving it another shot or not.

Can I get a Poker Night code PLEESE! And about the constructive thing, DID YOU KNOW: Pigs have orgasms that last 30 minutes! FFFUN FFFACKT!

[quote name='Calinks']I don't want to read through the thread in fear of Bioshock spoilers but can someone tell me the name of the videogame used in the intro mix song? I know the game I just can't remember and its bothering me.[/QUOTE]

In the OP: "Intro/Outro: Let's Get SPunky - EOWXXX / GI JOE PSA"

Google says: "A magical trip through Miami Bass, Ghettotech, Chip Tunes, Hip-hop, Bmore, Jungle, 80's J-Pop and the theme tune from Space Harrier... and thats just the tip of the iceberg........"

Sounds like Space Harrier

This podcast just reaffirmed for me that my taste and the taste of the guys on the show do not line up. I loved the narrative of BioShock: Infinite, especially how you had to pay close attention to figure everything else, and I personally thought the combat was way more interesting than in the original game.

Meanwhile, I just finished Tomb Raider and felt it was just above average, with the exception of the story which is horrendously bad. Don't understand why they are praising it so much when to me it felt like going through the motions of gameplay that was never bad but never anything special. (The exception being the interesting tomb puzzles but that amounted to 34 minutes tops.)

bread's done
Back