CAGcast #325: One Is the Loneliest Number

I dunno I think if they had trailers for Halo 5, Crackdown 3, Gears Whatever and Too Human Two than people would have gotten pretty excited, gameplay or not.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']You won't have to. You will have to use the same account to get it on all 3 consoles though.[/QUOTE]

That's far from certain.

[quote name='bickle']That's far from certain.[/QUOTE]

No, it seems pretty certain: http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/23/p...ll-invest-1b-in-games-for-xbox-one-interview/

Just like today, if you have a game disc that you buy from the store, you can play that game. The game is now installed to the hard drive. Any user who is associated with that Xbox One can play that game. I can give that game disc to my son and he can go and take it to another machine inside the house and play it on that machine. Just like today, only one of us can play it at any one time.

e: I'll concede it is still unclear if they allow more than two installs, or if they treat digital games the same way.

Was anyone else confused about Cheapy's "Who knows how you'd react" thing in regards to Penny Arcade? React to what, running a successful website with a devoted following? I'm pretty sure most peoples first reaction wouldn't be to gouge that following for more money.

[quote name='Javery']They are claiming the Xbox One will be the one stop destination for all of my entertainment needs - TV, movies, music, sports, handjobs, etc. but they can't provide access to the things I've ALREADY PURCHASED FROM THEM?? The whole thing sucks.[/QUOTE]

This is an excellent point. The Xbox One will be my all-in-one device - except that I'll also need my 360 hooked up (and of course a PS3 and PS4 and Wii U ;)).

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']No, it seems pretty certain: http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/23/p...ll-invest-1b-in-games-for-xbox-one-interview/

e: I'll concede it is still unclear if they allow more than two installs, or if they treat digital games the same way.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this concerns me too. If they treat digital games as only one person at a time that will be bad. Right now I can play XBL games with my son at the same time (off of one purchase). And of course the PS3 is much easier in that respect as I don't even have to worry about which machine I first download it on (with XBL, my son can only play on the machine I downloaded it on originally so I have to be careful only to buy stuff using my account on "his" 360 and not the family room one).

Hopefully they at least allow you to log in wherever without having to carry a memory stick between machines (as we do now) or go though that BS account recovery process. Again, there has always been huge advantage for the PS3 in this regard. (I know there has more recently been some sort of cloud stuff on 360 but I'm not sure if that allows remote login - if it does then I guess that solved the issue but I don't play the 360 enough to even look into that at this point. Carrying a memory stick up and down the stairs between the 2 machines is clunky but it is what we've gotten used to doing ;)).

[quote name='Zakal']Was anyone else confused about Cheapy's "Who knows how you'd react" thing in regards to Penny Arcade? React to what, running a successful website with a devoted following? I'm pretty sure most peoples first reaction wouldn't be to gouge that following for more money.[/QUOTE]

I was also confused.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']I dunno I think if they had trailers for Halo 5, Crackdown 3, Gears Whatever and Too Human Two than people would have gotten pretty excited, gameplay or not.[/QUOTE]

Most definitely, which will be the case at e3 for sure. I know Il be one of them especially for Crackdown, even if I currently dont plan on picking up the new Xbox.

[quote name='Zakal']Was anyone else confused about Cheapy's "Who knows how you'd react" thing in regards to Penny Arcade? React to what, running a successful website with a devoted following? I'm pretty sure most peoples first reaction wouldn't be to gouge that following for more money.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I didn't quite follow either. All I read was that PA wanted to devote more time to podcasting. But to do this they need to charge money so they can quit one of their "dayjobs" which is making marketing materials for game publishers. Their thinking is their audience would rather seem them podcast. And they could also more easily be free of any conflicts of interest.

I didn't know there was any controversy of any sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Javery']How about eliminating the need to port it in the first place and just use the same software to make it work? Do we honestly think that the almightly Microsoft and its advanced technology couldn't provide some type of back-end or cloud based service where I can stream the games that I already own on whatever system they release and the next one after that and the next one after that, etc.? They are claiming the Xbox One will be the one stop destination for all of my entertainment needs - TV, movies, music, sports, handjobs, etc. but they can't provide access to the things I've ALREADY PURCHASED FROM THEM?? The whole thing sucks.[/QUOTE]

As I said don't buy games expecting to play them on every new generation of hardware at no cost to you. You would be paying whether they port it, write an emulator, include the old silicon or keep the same architecture even if its costlier, less efficient and slower than going with a new architecture.

Games are a set of instructions unlike media. It isn't cheap and/or easy to make them work on a new architecture. And to continue the old architecture is often not the most desirable solution for the next generation of games.

I wouldn't doubt if some of the major XBLA games are released for the new system especially ones that were already ported to x86. Maybe owners of these games on the 360 will get a discount.

Anyway I'm sure they would have loved to do everything for everybody. Unfortunately sometimes you have to make the tough calls. Hardly a worry anyway. You can keep your old console. If the new games are good you won't have time to play the old games.

I'm surprised at how clueless Cheapy is about the source of the rage over Xbox One after the event, as Shipwreck and Wombat pointed out that the news about always online requirements and the used games situation flooded the internet afterwards. Microsoft has handled that supplementary information about as poorly as they can because if it were not as bad as it seemed, they should've been out there right away with the truth. Instead, they've been out there saying "Xbox One supports used games" with the sense that there's a big "but" that should be added to the end of that sentence. They're giving us half of the truth and making it seem worse with their silence and flip-flopping.

The voice control in Kinect would be nice so that I could just bypass navigating the dashboard entirely to go to my library or the marketplace, though I'm sure it won't be as sluggish early on as Xbox 360 is at launch.

Uno was the original sexting.

[quote name='Corvin']Amen. Preach it brother. I love the "it's a different architecture" argument. So what, why not build the console around the old architecture?[/QUOTE]
Windows hasn't supported the PowerPC architecture since the 90s, so it cannot be built around the old architecture with their plan to use a Windows kernel as a part of the OS.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm surprised at how clueless Cheapy is about the source of the rage over Xbox One after the event, as Shipwreck and Wombat pointed out that the news about always online requirements and the used games situation flooded the internet afterwards. Microsoft has handled that supplementary information about as poorly as they can because if it were not as bad as it seemed, they should've been out there right away with the truth. Instead, they've been out there saying "Xbox One supports used games" with the sense that there's a big "but" that should be added to the end of that sentence. They're giving us half of the truth and making it seem worse with their silence and flip-flopping./QUOTE]

Oh, I understand it, I just think the gamers response has been over-the-top. What else is new, right?

If Sony messed up their reveal by not showing a plastic box, how much worse is it that Microsoft couldn't even tell people how their system worked ... despite multiple attempts going back to journalists and giving even more cryptic explanations that "corrected" their original misstatements.

As far as I'm concerned when I buy a game I own it. I can give it to my son, my brother my nephew, or sell it. I have a legal right to do that that , and every challenge to that "right of first sale" in both US and Europe has failed. Now if Microsoft thinks they can take that away through some half-assed licensing system then I for one will be happy to help them destroy their gaming business by not buying their console.

I will also point out that such a system is already illegal in Europe, which is why I find it hard to believe that this is more than just a trial balloon to be followed by MS revealing the "real" system which will turn out to more customer friendly.

European Court ruling:
. 'The principle of exhaustion of the distribution right applies not only where the copyright holder markets copies of his software on a material medium (CD-ROM or DVD) but also where he distributes them by means of downloads from his website. Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy – tangible or intangible – and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right. Such a transaction involves a transfer of the right of ownership of the copy.

'Therefore, even if the licence agreement prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy.'

[quote name='CheapyD']Oh, I understand it, I just think the gamers response has been over-the-top. What else is new, right?[/QUOTE]
Maybe a little over-the-top, but those are pretty important topics that Microsoft's PR has handled extremely poorly so far. I don't blame them for freaking out about what little Microsoft has been saying about it.

I just feel for those that don't have access to internet, much like some of my friends in the military, when it comes to this Xbox One and it's connectivity.

I can understand Microsoft's concerns when it comes to Used Games but at the very least just make the Xbox One if it is not connected to the Internet work for those that are offline, by just changing how it works a bit. Perhaps instead of having to handshake to their servers just verifying the disc is in the console.

Sure, it takes away the convenience to just play a game from your installed library, but it would solve the issue of verification since now if you want to play X game when you are offline you just have to prove you have the disc on you. If you are able to connect to the internet and their servers there wouldn't be this limitation, so those that don't have issues with the internet like myself wouldn't have to deal with any of the mess, but would at least give those others left out in the cold a chance to play these great games.

This still doesn't fix the whole lending to a friend issue, however, as I don't like having to give my account info out to my friends so they could play one of my games I lend them. There has to be a better way, and I hope they figure it out by the time this thing launches.

The thing about the announcement was that everything they showed appealed to those who weren't watching the conference because they were working.

I predict Microsoft will let the publishers decide how to release a game and they will now include a 1 time activation key tied to your account. like Windows does. If a game is resold used the buyer will need to by a reactivation key. It takes the pressure off of Xbox and helps the publisher.

I predict the heavy hitters will lead the charge EA and Ubisoft.

When the download only era hits they should have a trade in system where you get future credit and the game is deactivated from your system.

In all fairness they need each other IMO the pubs do deserve some cut (not that big) because the stores are footing the bill to bring games to a certain group of people. Another reason they need a cut is people just aren't buying games like they use too.

If everyone had to buy new then The term Cheap ass gamer would be taken to a whole other level. LOL

As far as lending games go do people still do that? I mean as finicky as people are and cd's are easily scratched if so I am looking for someone to lend me Xenoblade Chronicles.

Of what they showed of the Xbox One, I don't like it. Too much BS and I don't care about Call of Duty: Now with Dogs or the ability to watch live tv through my Xbox (especially since I cut the cable a long time ago).

The required internet connection, the required Kinect and the DRM bs are all individually deal breakers for me. Hell, not even Apple is asinine enough to come up with a proprietary headphone jack.

It's the typical internet shitstorm before E3. Now if MS can't show the games at E3 that's a different story.

Internet is readily available across the united states and near 80% of the US has access to internet, yet people are complaining about going online?

They have said NEW IPS (aka RISKS) as well as sequels of popular 360 titles. So I'll get my Gears, Halo and Fable down the road while also experience new IPS. Now the big issue is going to be how much games are Kinect forced? Looking at sales, only Dance Central and Kinect Sports have been solid Kinect only performers, so I doubt we see much Kinect enforced games.

Also since the system is as big as the 360 as many have said (as you guys were talking about on that japanese podcast I already forgott the name of) It's not like It's a big deal having both systems connected to the TV at once. Maybe if you have a PS3/360+XBox One/PS4 It's a big deal, otherwise no.

But really, how many of you guys bought used games outside of the Gamefly deals? As Cheapy asked Shipwreck. I bought maybe 3 used games in the last 2 years and they were all from gamefly.

E3 will hopefully show us the nice price and good games and we'll be all set.

I'm surprised no one is bitching while the console is HDMI only while they are at it. While all the newer TVS have HDMI I'm sure theres a few people who own 360's and don't have HDMI TVs.

I'm happy that for an engineer and an internet space pimp and to a lesser extent a family man with a very homosexual job, buying and being sent new games must be really easy and negligible to your budgets (wombat less so with 2 kids). Others of us, however, who still love gaming and are not in a positive place economically, have to struggle with the few games we CAN buy.

$60+tax hurts our wallets when things are strained so I don't know why we have to be made the bad guy to the industry when we want to save as much as we can for the hobby we love. Xbox One (until they change their stance) will put that much more strain on us and ensure nothing but vitriol from the non-internet-space-pimps and lower life forms MS and Sony call "customers".

They say they support used games but they haven't completely revealed to what extent. It obviously isn't the same as they could just say, "nothing's changed, guys," but they didn't. It will be (again, unless they change their stance from backlash) iron fist tactics to control what they consider lost revenue when really we're just all getting fisted.

Can't just borrow that copy of Saint's Row 6 or Dishonored 2 from your buddy from what they've told us. Will it even be possible to get games from gamefly anymore? To buy used games from a thrift shop or ebay? Will a ton of gamers simply accept this and just roll with it? I know I can't.

Listening to the SDF, errr 8-4 Podcast with Cheapy in it. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Wow those guys were bringing the hate, but you managed to reel it in and even get them to make some concessions that maybe XB1 isn't a total flop before it's even released.

All hail Internet Space Pimp!

[quote name='Monsta Mack']But really, how many of you guys bought used games outside of the Gamefly deals? [/QUOTE]

I'm sure there are lots of us or the entire used game industry wouldn't exist. No used games sucks but you can at least wait it out because all games get to $20 new eventually - it's the no trading with friends and effectively killing the ability to sell something once you are finished with it that is just ridiculous and I can't get past.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']But really, how many of you guys bought used games outside of the Gamefly deals? As Cheapy asked Shipwreck. I bought maybe 3 used games in the last 2 years and they were all from gamefly.[/QUOTE]
I bought two used DS games yesterday. Not all games are available digitally or even new at this point to make used not an option.

Cheapy... If your masturbating in your office, you NEED to purchase curtains. If for nothing else than courtesy for your neighbors.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']All the games for next gen will be available digitally though. Availability will not be an issue. Pricing might be...[/QUOTE]
Sure, but that wasn't the question asked.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Internet is readily available across the united states and near 80% of the US has access to internet, yet people are complaining about going online?[/QUOTE]

I see the complaining about always on being more of a defense of the people who have no voice rather than it being the complainers complaining about their own situation. What I mean is that there truly are plenty of people who have never connected their consoles to the internet - you don't hear their voice in the argument, however, because they're not here. They just don't go online. So it's more of a whiteknighting thing for the people who won't join the argument. Don't know if this is true at all, but that's just my take.

Russ Frushtick also uses the term "back end" on the most recent Besties at around 39:15. So at least Wombat is not alone.

And don't forget that for a lot of CAGs it isn't so much buying used but being able to trade stuff in. I have enough money for the ONE from taking advantage of recent GS trade-in deals. Now, I'm not so sure I want one...

[quote name='io']And don't forget that for a lot of CAGs it isn't so much buying used used but being able to trade stuff in. I have enough money for the ONE from taking advantage of recent GS trade-in deals. Now, I'm not so sure I want one...[/QUOTE]

THIS. I need to be able to trade-in/sell/trade with friends in order to keep acquiring more games to play. This isn't a situation where I'm "just going to have to suck it up" and pay full price for the games I want. My budget is finite and very very limited. I love video games but at the end of the day it's not that important and there are plenty of other things I can do with my time. What the effect of this will be is me buying a TON less games and just kind of paying less attention to the industry because I know I won't be able to afford everything I want to play.

If they think launching new IPs is tough now, wait until people refuse to EVER take a chance on something unfamiliar.

Now that the ramp up to next gen has started in earnest I was wondering if you guys have managed to get a session with the guys with the Oculus Rift for E3? I just got my dev kit this week and I really think you guys should try it out. So far it's only a first dev kit so it's rough around the edges, but I think it's easy to see the potential it has to become something really big. (Assuming you don't get motion sickness, which one of my colleges who tried it did.)

[quote name='Hast']Now that the ramp up to next gen has started in earnest I was wondering if you guys have managed to get a session with the guys with the Oculus Rift for E3? I just got my dev kit this week and I really think you guys should try it out. So far it's only a first dev kit so it's rough around the edges, but I think it's easy to see the potential it has to become something really big. (Assuming you don't get motion sickness, which one of my colleges who tried it did.)[/QUOTE]

Cheapy and I have already tried out the Rift at PAX last year. It works, but I don't think I personally want to play games with it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sure, but that wasn't the question asked.[/QUOTE]

I bought two used DS games yesterday. Not all games are available digitally or even new at this point to make used not an option.
Your point was seemingly that used games need to exist because it's the only way to get some games. Next gen games will all be available digitally. All of them. If you miss out on a disc copy in the next gen it will be there on XBLA or PSN for you.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']

But really, how many of you guys bought used games outside of the Gamefly deals? As Cheapy asked Shipwreck. I bought maybe 3 used games in the last 2 years and they were all from gamefly.
[/QUOTE]

I purchased three used games today. One for SNES and two for NES. My greatest fear with the Xbox One is that in 15-20 years the required internet thing will result in it becoming a useless brick.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I purchased three used games today. One for SNES and two for NES. My greatest fear with the Xbox One is that in 15-20 years the required internet thing will result in it becoming a useless brick.[/QUOTE]

You are the consumer the industry is trying to phase out. No one who worked on or distributes that game will see a dime and you don't need new hardware to play it. They have no intention on continuing to make that possible.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'm really not enjoying Metro. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's certainly far from being the worst game out there. But, overall, I'm just really bored. I don't care about the story. I don't care about the environment. I don't care about lore. Heck, even the bad Russian accent voice-acting annoys me a good bit. The "cutscenes" even bother me, They take too long and I hate being constriced to one area while characters are talking about something I don't care about. I never skip cutscenes, but this is one game that I wish would allow it. I enjoy the gunplay & customizations(that's another problem though, there's not enough of it in the first half of the game), but that's about it.

Maybe my problem is that I never played the original? I don't know... I'm just wondering why so many people seem to be enjoying it and I'm really having problem playing it for more than an hour at a time. I really wanted to enjoy this game, but after getting about 3/4 of the way through I can't really see myself ever going back after completing it.

It is nice listening to a reasonable podcast in a sea of crazy talk about the Xbox One. I do disagree with the voice commands I use Kinect's voice commands all the time. They work 90% of the time. I do believe it will work almost as fast as demonstrated in the press conference.

My guess is Fantasy Football will be through the NFL's official Fantasy sports league.

My crazy theory about why Microsoft does not have press release ready with their Used games/Online activation stuff is that Sony is not ready. My guess is Microsoft is 90% done how these things will work for them, but Sony is lagging behind or pushing the DRM onto the Publishers to work out. So the Activisions/EA's of the world are still figuring it out, and they told Microsoft to hold off on the announcement.

I think my main problem with the XBox One is that I bought into the idea of XBLA and purchased a lot of games. I bought a lot of games that I see myself playing for a long time and I hoped my kids would be able to. I would expect to see myself playing Pinball FX2 for many more years. I still enjoy Geometry Wars and Street Fighter. I've lost the confidence to but anything digitally right now. It doesn't seem right that the new Xbox will not play any of the older Halo or Gears games. I really expected my digital purchases to follow my future Microsoft consoles. It seems like the right thing to do and I will not purchase another Microsoft console if this is the way it's going to be.

I also don't like the idea that it needs Kinect to run. I know the probability of this happening is low, but what if someone bumps into the Kinect sensor and breaks it...now your console is useless until you fix/buy another Kinect. Probably not going to happen, but can you imagine if the new Kinect sensor has problems like the first run 360 consoles red ringing?!

Cheapy I went ahead and checked out the 8-4 podcast and it's always interesting to hear you on there. Don't get me wrong I really like the 8-4 crew and their discussions but every time you're there it seems like you're the guy that stands for the "American market" or the "Xbox market" while they all defend their Nintendo and Sony, and this time around it wasn't all that different. Even when they have flame war discussions about Sony/Nintendo they have to find a way to defend it in fear of going against their 'games in japan' podcast. The guys at 8-4 never cared for the Xbox / Microsoft brand to begin with and no matter how much they try to give it an ounce of credit their views will never change.

As for the whole xbox vs playstation pre-owned deal, the consumers will soon find out the ugly truth when both of the parties say that developers are in-charge of how they want to deal with used games. Regardless of that matter, I'm a gamer that plays everything so I'll end up getting both, just like Shipwreck. Great podcast, keep up the good work.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I purchased three used games today. One for SNES and two for NES. My greatest fear with the Xbox One is that in 15-20 years the required internet thing will result in it becoming a useless brick.[/QUOTE]

Developers nor MS give a shit about that because they don't see a dime from the sales as Wombat said.
Also by then, for the most popular games there will be re-releases or HD collections. If you recall even the Wii had a Mario anniversary collection, as well as the virtua console games.

While BC is a nice gesture, in this case with the architecture It's more of a money pit for MS to invest in getting BC to work and theres not much money to be had into it. Especally when someone can just plug in their 360 and still log into their account.

But yeah 15-20 years down the road could be a problem. The 360 has a few classics that may not get re-released (Castle Crashers, Bioshock Games, Mass Effect series) that I would re-play, so heres hoping new 360 hardware is still released for years to come incase I see another RROD or Red Dot of Death.

[quote name='4thHorseman']I'm shocked nobody made the joke about Major Nelson's tweet after the PS4 conference[/QUOTE]

Sometimes he's such a vagina clown.

[quote name='shipwreck']Cheapy and I have already tried out the Rift at PAX last year. It works, but I don't think I personally want to play games with it.[/QUOTE]

Oh I must have missed that. Personally I've been playing around in Half-Life 2 with it this weekend and I have to say that I'm quite blown away by the experience. Unfortunately I'm getting a bit simulator sick by the HL2 implementation and I'm not sure why. The intense speed at which you move around is probably part of the problem.

Probably not how I want to play all games, but I can definitely see it becoming a new genre like "3D games" have.

[quote name='bickle']He also says "just like today" - which doesn't work too well. I'd call it a pain in the ass. And I can never get the DLC to work on the 2nd Xbox. So I'll stick with "far from certain".[/QUOTE]

Indeed:

Just like today, if you have a game disc that you buy from the store, you can play that game. The game is now installed to the hard drive. Any user who is associated with that Xbox One can play that game. I can give that game disc to my son and he can go and take it to another machine inside the house and play it on that machine. Just like today, only one of us can play it at any one time.

At least for XBL games that is not the way it is "just like today". I can play those games online with my son (on our 2 Xboxes). Looks like that won't happen any more. I realize he is talking about retail games here, but he also says there will be no division between retail, XBL, and Indie games - "Now they’re just games".

So it is good in one sense that it seems everyone associated with Xbox One #1 can then play all your installed games (of whatever type) on any other Xbox One. But then it is bad that only one person can be playing at a time. That makes sense for retail disc games for sure - but not for what are currently XBL games.

So if that is the case, it is definitely a step back and a big point in favor of the PS4 if they still allow downloads (and unlimited use) on 2 systems (which as far as I know remains to be seen).

I wonder what costs MS more...having a chipset in the XBox One that allows for complete XBox 360 backwards compatibility....or having Kinects with each system.

I would much rather have backwards compatibility...because I don't give a shit about Kinect.

[quote name='Wombat']You are the consumer the industry is trying to phase out. No one who worked on or distributes that game will see a dime and you don't need new hardware to play it. They have no intention on continuing to make that possible.[/QUOTE]

If that's their intention, then I would call them extremely foolish.

I'm probably not the consumer that they are trying to phase out. I purchased the PS3 and Wii at Launch and I purchased a 360 a few months later once I found one. I also purchased a Kinect at launch and a 360 S at launch as well as a Special Edition Wii for the Red Color. Recently I purchased a 3DS XL just because it had a Pikachu on it.

This Generation of Consoles I have a Wii U Deluxe and an Ouya. I also have 5 launch games for my Wii U thus far along with 3 digital titles and 6 virtual console titles of games I already own. This November I would very much like to buy the new offerings from Microsoft and Sony along with at least 3 launch games each, but I won't if this is the direction they are heading.

So yes, while I and many other classic gamers buy older titles, we also buy pretty much everything else. I guess I am what they would call the "hardcore gamer" since I buy so many games and consoles.

People also seem to forget that attach rate is going to be very important. Microsoft is going to lose money on every Xbox One sold and they will depend on sales of software to make up for it. With your bro gamer who only plays Call of Duty and Madden, that's an attach rate of 2 and they will lose money on that individual for a couple of years. Nintendo already has an attach rate of 5 on me and that's not including the digital and virtual console games that I have also purchased. If Microsoft wants to cater to your more casual gamer and discourage the more hardcore gamer, then that is only going to hurt their attach rate and make it difficult for the Xbox One to become profitable.

I don't really get why they seem to be marketing their console towards the more casual gamer while encouraging them to watch tv instead of buying new games. It's even more puzzling that at the same time they are discouraging the more hardcore gamers who buy a lot more games.

If that's what they want to do, then that's their prerogative. I just think it's a big mistake.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Developers nor MS give a shit about that because they don't see a dime from the sales as Wombat said.
Also by then, for the most popular games there will be re-releases or HD collections. If you recall even the Wii had a Mario anniversary collection, as well as the virtua console games.

While BC is a nice gesture, in this case with the architecture It's more of a money pit for MS to invest in getting BC to work and theres not much money to be had into it. Especally when someone can just plug in their 360 and still log into their account.

But yeah 15-20 years down the road could be a problem. The 360 has a few classics that may not get re-released (Castle Crashers, Bioshock Games, Mass Effect series) that I would re-play, so heres hoping new 360 hardware is still released for years to come incase I see another RROD or Red Dot of Death.[/QUOTE]

Who do you think is buying those re-releases, hd collections and virtual console games? It's not the guys who primarily play Halo, Call of Duty and Fifa like my step-brothers. It's gamers like me and I have quite a few of those collections including the Mario Anniversary set you mentioned.

Also, I wasn't talking about bc. I get that Microsoft went weird and based the 360 off of Power-PC architecture when everything else in their product line is make for x86 and x64. However, once the Xbox One servers go down (and they will) the system will more than likely become inoperable seeing as how the console requires it. That's my big worry with this thing.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']Your point was seemingly that used games need to exist because it's the only way to get some games. Next gen games will all be available digitally. All of them. If you miss out on a disc copy in the next gen it will be there on XBLA or PSN for you.[/QUOTE]
To a degree, but it was also about me not being the sort of consumer that doesn't ignore used if it's significantly cheaper or easier to acquire that way. Not every game would be something that I'd want digitally nor is every publisher good at being competitive with their digital offerings (Konami and Namco specifically along with dead publishers), so digital can't always be that reliable as the only back-up option for every game.

[quote name='KillerRamen']If that's their intention, then I would call them extremely foolish.

I'm probably not the consumer that they are trying to phase out. I purchased the PS3 and Wii at Launch and I purchased a 360 a few months later once I found one. I also purchased a Kinect at launch and a 360 S at launch as well as a Special Edition Wii for the Red Color. Recently I purchased a 3DS XL just because it had a Pikachu on it.

This Generation of Consoles I have a Wii U Deluxe and an Ouya. I also have 5 launch games for my Wii U thus far along with 3 digital titles and 6 virtual console titles of games I already own. This November I would very much like to buy the new offerings from Microsoft and Sony along with at least 3 launch games each, but I won't if this is the direction they are heading.

So yes, while I and many other classic gamers buy older titles, we also buy pretty much everything else. I guess I am what they would call the "hardcore gamer" since I buy so many games and consoles.

People also seem to forget that attach rate is going to be very important. Microsoft is going to lose money on every Xbox One sold and they will depend on sales of software to make up for it. With your bro gamer who only plays Call of Duty and Madden, that's an attach rate of 2 and they will lose money on that individual for a couple of years. Nintendo already has an attach rate of 5 on me and that's not including the digital and virtual console games that I have also purchased. If Microsoft wants to cater to your more casual gamer and discourage the more hardcore gamer, then that is only going to hurt their attach rate and make it difficult for the Xbox One to become profitable.

I don't really get why they seem to be marketing their console towards the more casual gamer while encouraging them to watch tv instead of buying new games. It's even more puzzling that at the same time they are discouraging the more hardcore gamers who buy a lot more games.

If that's what they want to do, then that's their prerogative. I just think it's a big mistake.

Who do you think is buying those re-releases, hd collections and virtual console games? It's not the guys who primarily play Halo, Call of Duty and Fifa like my step-brothers. It's gamers like me and I have quite a few of those collections including the Mario Anniversary set you mentioned.

Also, I wasn't talking about bc. I get that Microsoft went weird and based the 360 off of Power-PC architecture when everything else in their product line is make for x86 and x64. However, once the Xbox One servers go down (and they will) the system will more than likely become inoperable seeing as how the console requires it. That's my big worry with this thing.[/QUOTE]

You were complaining about no being able to buy used games. Buying used does not help Microsoft make a profit. If you are "hardcore" and only buy new, then you have probably already decided if you are going to buy one or not.

The 2 new game a year (that buy all the DLC), TV watching, Live buying consumer is the consumer they want.

bread's done
Back