CAGcast #327: The E3 2013 Authentication Free, Digital Deluxe Edition

I gotta agree with Wombat. Don't talk to homeless people unless you are actually going to give them money.

And I chuckled when Shipwreck said Sony wasn't compenent enough to issue firmware updates without bricking consoles, like Microsoft has never done that.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/228174/new_xbox_firmware_bricks_some_consoles_microsoft_makes_amends.html
You'd hate the story about how I walked 5 blocks talking to a homeless man in Chicago one time. I did end up buying him a meal from Wendy's though.
I love that story; I would be too nervous to do that myself. I'm from New Zealand where we don't have the same type of homeless epidemic you see in big American cities, so I find it really depressing especially in places like Baltimore and Philadelphia. Sometimes I will give them money, but if I'm not going to do that I just want to get past them in a hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week, the Amazon Video Games store made history with its biggest pre-order week ever thanks to the launch of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. In fact, at the peak of demand last week, Amazon customers were pre-ordering more than 2,500 Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles per minute. In addition: · The E3 week pre-orders of the two wildly-anticipated gaming consoles brought a year-over-year increase in orders of more than 4,000%, compared to consoles ordered during E3 week last year · Day-one pre-orders for the two consoles was nearly two times that of all video games sales on Black Friday last year (2012)

Cheapy D must be making some nice dough...

Cheapy was right again, the new white background is pretty nice. :)

He probably only spends them on items that are on sale, I know I will pick up blood dragon eventually, but my backlog is big enough that I have no reason to pay full MSRP for it.
Sure, I get that, but why stockpile points then? If you bought the points on sale, then you already getting the game "on sale". Are you waiting for a good game to on double sale?
I know quite a few people that have thousands of points, that they got off ebay from some dude in Eastern Europe. I don't feel sorry for them in the least if they don't use them fast enough.

I was wondering if you guys would talk about Microsoft's new plan to convert MSP over to actual local currency, specifically that any converted values will be subject to a one year expiration. I know a lot of people on here have stockpiled points (myself included) and I am pretty concerned about it.
What motivation could they possibly have to do this other than just greed?!
The terms for Microsoft Points already say that they are not worth any real money. They are also tracked and already expire one year after the code is entered.

So they aren't really changing anything and due to the terms of using them, they don't actually have to give you any monetary value for them.

... just sayin'

All dat E3 swag.

Also, Marvel Heroes is not in beta anymore. It's the final game. And each of the bundle packs are $85. Ouch.
Did the prices go up? When I was looking into packs, it was $20 for 1 character + 1 extra costume + plus in game currency to buy another non-popular character. $60 gave you 4 character + extra costumes + plus in game currency. Considering that Diablo 3 launched at $60 and you get only 4 characters, the $60 pack for MH is a good deal. Also, at the $60 pack, you get to choose from several packs with different characters.

Disclaimer: I play both Diablo 3 and Marvel Heroes.

Good read about used games for people who are interested:

http://devfodder.blogspot.com/2013/06/you-should-have-choice-to-buy-used-game.html

(I didn't write it, but I wish I did. It has a lot of really good points.)

I thought Cheapy came off as a little uppity when he was talking about going to see Man of Steel. Particularly the part where he found it weird that the audience was laughing at lame jokes in the trailers. News Flash: People go to the movies to have a good time, and to be entertained. Maybe you should take a break from watching so many depressing ass documentaries, and then you can laugh at the lame jokes every once in a while.

Nonetheless, another great show, gang!
Seriously, people laugh at dumb/lame jokes all the time. Afterall, people listen to this show.

I thought Cheapy came off as a little uppity when he was talking about going to see Man of Steel. Particularly the part where he found it weird that the audience was laughing at lame jokes in the trailers. News Flash: People go to the movies to have a good time, and to be entertained. Maybe you should take a break from watching so many depressing ass documentaries, and then you can laugh at the lame jokes every once in a while.

Nonetheless, another great show, gang!
Seriously, people laugh at dumb/lame jokes all the time. Afterall, people listen to this show.
HIYOOOOOO

Wombat received too much slack for collecting swag. What's the point of swag other than to be taken. The publishers budgeted money to have t-shirts and other stuff made and given away for free. Instead of Wombat possibly buying a game used or waiting for it to go down in price, he may buy it day one because of the awesome free swag he got. (Excluding the sheer Disney Infinity tee, he received. But sounds like an excellent t-shirt if Wombat wants to win a Wet T-shirt Contest at Jones Beach this summer.

Also, what's the big deal with Wombat getting giddy over scratch-offs. Don't we know other than baseball and apple pie, scratch-offs are America's favorite pastime. Don't fault Wombat for being a true American like me and enjoying the chance to win! wiN! wIN! WIN!

Wombats continue to fight for you consumer rights to free swag.

Time stamp 23:40 - Does Cheapy honestly believe that Microsoft simply tried to make a product that gamers would like, but that they are now listening to the complaints and changing? His sarcastic diatribe stank of Microsoft apologism to a disgusting degree.

Ok Cheapy, so these "regular people like you and me who have a job to do and go to an office everyday" thought that us gamers would just love to not be able to play used games? Oh yea, we all just love that. Wow sarcasm is fun. 

Please tell me about the Microsoft meetings where someone brought up the complete elimination of used games, and how that somehow HELPS or IMPROVES any gamers' experience. Please tell me how that makes their product better. Please tell me how that makes any part of my gaming experience better. 

Heres a comically extreme analogy to your ridiculous comments; if a political party or candidate came out and announced that they have a new plan to exterminate everyone named David, but then noticed an enthusiastic protest to that statement, and then recanted, saying; ok we wont kill all the Davids, would your faith in that candidate be fully restored? I think not. 

We cannot just simply forget that Microsoft truly did try to destroy a facet of gaming and gaming economics that someone like me truly appreciates and enjoys. The dead horse is beaten, but the bottom line is that I am not alone when I say that if I knew I could not freely trade in my used games, that I would simply buy far less games to begin with. I will not purchase the Xbox One accordingly. Microsoft's attitude offended me, and they have some serious ground to make up before I would even consider purchasing their product.

Time stamp 23:40 - Does Cheapy honestly believe that Microsoft simply tried to make a product that gamers would like, but that they are now listening to the complaints and changing? His sarcastic diatribe stank of Microsoft apologism to a disgusting degree.

Ok Cheapy, so these "regular people like you and me who have a job to do and go to an office everyday" thought that us gamers would just love to not be able to play used games? Oh yea, we all just love that. Wow sarcasm is fun.

Please tell me about the Microsoft meetings where someone brought up the complete elimination of used games, and how that somehow HELPS or IMPROVES any gamers' experience. Please tell me how that makes their product better. Please tell me how that makes any part of my gaming experience better.

Heres a comically extreme analogy to your ridiculous comments; if a political party or candidate came out and announced that they have a new plan to exterminate everyone named David, but then noticed an enthusiastic protest to that statement, and then recanted, saying; ok we wont kill all the Davids, would your faith in that candidate be fully restored? I think not.

We cannot just simply forget that Microsoft truly did try to destroy a facet of gaming and gaming economics that someone like me truly appreciates and enjoys. The dead horse is beaten, but the bottom line is that I am not alone when I say that if I knew I could not freely trade in my used games, that I would simply buy far less games to begin with. I will not purchase the Xbox One accordingly. Microsoft's attitude offended me, and they have some serious ground to make up before I would even consider purchasing their product.
Dude, I think you might need to get some sleep. It is going to be OK. Buy your Sony PS4 and forget all about this, but again more importantly please get some sleep.

I see your passion, but you come off as a crazy person right now. Just don't buy an Xbox One. You shouldn't be so upset if others do, though. Its their money, and they can buy whatever they want to without someone throwing a bucket of paint at their proverbial fur coats.

Cheapy, dude, you've become Koreans more unlikable. Super smug, super apathetic. Also it gets really boring and predictable to hear you weigh in on topics.

Hears you discussing any product that is a legitimately good product....

A Sony game: "yeah, I don't know. It's alright"

A microsoft game: "dude, I love it. Also, smart move by Microsoft for..."

A Rockstar product: "pff, whatever pfffffff. Rockstar...boooooooo"

An apple product: "APPLE! Apple command me! For I am your servant! I have placed thy most holy Jobs image upon my altar! I have sacrificed many goats in your honor. The blood spills for you, Apple. All offerings, for you, the one true god"

[quote name="Old Dead Tree" post="10851749" timestamp="1371931178"]Cheapy, dude, you've become Koreans more unlikable. Super smug, super apathetic.

In English please...

But you make a good point somewhere in there. Cheapy is biased toward his favorite products. Just like many of us have our favorite products. He has Cagcast to express them and that is his entrepreneurial right to share them. I don't always agree with Cheapy, but if I did, I would record myself and listen to myself.

Furthermore, Cheapy D is not turning Korean. It think he is turning Japanese. I really think so...:)

[quote name="Old Dead Tree" post="10851749" timestamp="1371931178"]Cheapy, dude, you've become Koreans more unlikable. Super smug, super apathetic.

In English please...

But you make a good point somewhere in there. Cheapy is biased toward his favorite products. Just like many of us have our favorite products. He has Cagcast to express them and that is his entrepreneurial right to share them. I don't always agree with Cheapy, but if I did, I would record myself and listen to myself.

Furthermore, Cheapy D is not turning Korean. It think he is turning Japanese. I really think so... :)
He probably got autocorrected to Koreans from something else.

I see your passion, but you come off as a crazy person right now. Just don't buy an Xbox One. You shouldn't if others do, though. Its their money, and they can buy whatever they want to without someone throwing a bucket of paint at their proverbial fur coats.
He's not crazy if he's right, a bit extreme but correct none the less. Cheapy give's MS pretty much a pass but in the past talked crap about EA, Ubisoft, and Activision when they had DRM or online pass issues.

MS WAS taking away consumer rights, there was no other way of seeing no matter how much they tried to spin it, and it was they (Microsoft) who came up with the idea. So its annoying to hear someone say we should just forget the whole thing and give them our money after they initially wanted to screw us (consumers) over to fill their pockets with more money. Again, its annoying to hear Cheapy and Ship give MS the benefit of the doubt yet never have to other companies in past Cagcasts.

Also I work retail and $100 will make a huge difference, just because most consumers are uniformed doesn't mean they don't take their cues from their wallets, and the more powerful system of the 2 costs less. Make no mistake, people do ask sales people their opinion and I doubt most sales people are going to make Kinect 2.0 sound as if its worth the extra $100. People like to save money and come Christmas $460 will get you a PS4 AND a game, that amount still won't get you an Xbox One.

Come Christmas $460 will get you nothing because both consoles will be sold out.
Nice one, doesn't matter when they start having more stock you're still wrong since $100 makes a huge difference. If rumors are correct, Sony seems to also have a leg up on the amount of stock to be sold for the Christmas season and supposedly will be out earlier.

Come Christmas $460 will get you nothing because both consoles will be sold out.
I will be very interested to see how this plays out. We seem to have a much larger period of open preorders for both systems so it seems both companies are pumping out way more systems than with the 360 and even PS3 launch. I didn't pay all that much attention to the 360 launch, but for sure with the PS3 and Wii, places like GS only took preorders for a few hours (most sold out to people camping in line for a preorder). Then the same thing happened on launch day (campers bought most, it not all, of the ones not reserved by preorders). It just seems that this time around, there are many times more preorders available And for sure both companies will also send a lot of stock to stores day one for walk-in buyers as well. Amazon still has Day One Xbox One launch systems available right now with specific text guaranteeing them on launch day. That just didn't happen last gen (or even with the Wii U!). So it is very possible that both systems will sell very well and also be available around Christmas to people who didn't preorder. Though, on the other hand, the very late launch of these systems (late Nov it looks like?) leaves little time for follow-up shipments before Christmas.

I'm just stunned that Amazon continues to take in launch day preorders for both systems this far out from E3. (Day one PS4 is still available in small bundles with 1 game like Knack or Watch Dogs which isn't bad since most people would pick up a game anyway). Makes me feel kind of silly for refreshing Amazon every minute or two after that Sony press conference and preordering one as soon as it showed up. I thought they would sell out in minutes given how Wii/PS3 preorders went :lol:.

I see your passion, but you come off as a crazy person right now. Just don't buy an Xbox One. You shouldn't if others do, though. Its their money, and they can buy whatever they want to without someone throwing a bucket of paint at their proverbial fur coats.
He's not crazy if he's right, a bit extreme but correct none the less. Cheapy give's MS pretty much a pass but in the past talked crap about EA, Ubisoft, and Activision when they had DRM or online pass issues.

MS WAS taking away consumer rights, there was no other way of seeing no matter how much they tried to spin it, and it was they (Microsoft) who came up with the idea. So its annoying to hear someone say we should just forget the whole thing and give them our money after they initially wanted to screw us (consumers) over to fill their pockets with more money. Again, its annoying to hear Cheapy and Ship give MS the benefit of the doubt yet never have to other companies in past Cagcasts.

Also I work retail and $100 will make a huge difference, just because most consumers are uniformed doesn't mean they don't take their cues from their wallets, and the more powerful system of the 2 costs less. Make no mistake, people do ask sales people their opinion and I doubt most sales people are going to make Kinect 2.0 sound as if its worth the extra $100. People like to save money and come Christmas $460 will get you a PS4 AND a game, that amount still won't get you an Xbox One.
Who gives a shit about what Cheapy, Shipwreck, or Wombat spend their money on?! Since when have these three people been the voice of consumer rights?! Let them buy Xbox Ones. Let them love Microsoft's policies and games. Who the fuck cares?? I'm sad for those who allow this shit to upset them this much.

This could be big news in my eyes. Forced plugged-in Kinect was one of my major issues with XB1. If they allow you to 100% have it unplugged and never have to have it plugged in, I see that as a positive. Still have to pay for it, but give the consumers more options instead of restrictions is a step in the right direction.

As for the "unlimited pre-order", pre-orders still open, lots more available pre-orders thing, I have to say it's probably because of the console parts. They aren't using MS/Sony built architecture parts, but common PC x86? parts. So they can order in bulk more-so than having to manufacture the cell processor/etc itself. Am I wrong in thinking like it that way? Besides the Kinect 2.0.

I really do feel we'll see more consoles available at launch/holidays than previous gen. Shipwreck, Wombat, and CheapyD should all add their # predictions to the Top Analyst.

Who gives a shit about what Cheapy, Shipwreck, or Wombat spend their money on?! Since when have these three people been the voice of consumer rights?! Let them buy Xbox Ones. Let them love Microsoft's policies and games. Who the fuck cares?? I'm sad for those who allow this shit to upset them this much.
First, no claimed that they are the voice of consumers right and I can't argue with shortsightedness but if you put just a little bit of thought and some forward thinking you might see why people are still up in arms.

Paying for "Live" which was essentially a service that should have been free led to online passes which everyone complained about, just because you don't have the ability to see that certain things can lead to another that worse doesn't mean others do not.

MS has a history of screwing the customer over and over, and the only reason they backtracked was because they were getting their butts handed to them on preorders. Now, they have switched over but they still tried something very anti-consumer to begin with and that is reason enough to not buy their console.

This podcast stunk. Not of poor quality, but of some pretty blatant shilling.

Full disclosure: I am not a Shipwreck fan, but tolerate his Vulcan analysis to savor the Cheapy and Wombat banter. But this was different. Listening to the MS press conference audioboo, I was actually thrown off hearing him do what I can only describe as his best infomercial voice. And when they got to the Sony audioboo, it was more about "Now, how can Microsoft fix this?"

I also think the whole 'they'll both sell out argument' is extremely weak because a.) it's just the launch window--so what if they do, b.) there's no guarantee that will happen through Christmas (as two comparable systems have never gone head-to-head like this), and c.) seems like a lot of early adopters have already secured theirs, so retail demand won't be a great indicator of gamer interest either way.

I own all three current gen consoles and was totally neutral on this six months ago. So I don't approach this with bias. And PLEASE--don't even get me started on 'silence is a good thing' at an E3 show.

Good chance the consoles won't sell out for any real length of time...the components are more industry standard and yields will be up...they're just easier to make this time around.

No one needs to. Just check out the pastebin link posted a few posts above yours. Or the one wombat tweeted: http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read It's very easy to see that this was a fucked up project where the managers we so focused on what was being gained that they were blinded to what was being lost.

it isn't very reputable. I wouldn't trust the word of an email from a media relation rep over everything else that has been said by Microsoft.

I own all three current gen consoles and was totally neutral on this six months ago. So I don't approach this with bias. And PLEASE--don't even get me started on 'silence is a good thing' at an E3 show.
I own all three current gen consoles. And a Wii U. And I've pre-ordered the PS4 and the Xbox One. I'm also fine with criticism. And anyone who says they don't have a favorite console is amazing and I applaud you for transcending to that level.

It's interesting that Cheapy's spun the "both systems will have the same DRM" statement that was about Sony using Xbox One-style DRM to now going the other way. I listened to the 8-4 Play that Cheapy was on where he also said it was much harder to plug in a rechargable controller than to go across the street to get some batteries. I would love to know why he was never upset about the Xbox One not being region-free and not working in Japan before, as he played that off like he'd have the hook-up to get around the DRM. It's one thing to not be angry, but it's another to never have any negative emotion about the rules that were in place to make sure that you couldn't use it. You tend to start conversations about the Xbox One by talking about crazy twitter responses. You just seem to only care about how much money it'll make you from the links on CAG and not how it personally affected you as a potential console owner in Japan.

The Xbox One is still to expensive to me, Shipwreck. I don't care what the public will pay. For me, it's too expensive for a system with major features that I don't care about (Kinect) or cannot use (TV). If the Xbox 360 is an indication, it's media playback features will be lackluster at best.

Paying $150 for the original Kinect and paying $500 for a Kinect-based console are very different things.

Wombat, since you're not the mayor, you're not going to get Tortimer to show up and invite you to the Island in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. If Mrs. Wombat isn't playing it everyday and doing things like paying off her house, then you probably won't get to go to the Island. You fucked up by letting her be the mayor since you're the one playing it everyday.

I own all three current gen consoles. And a Wii U. And I've pre-ordered the PS4 and the Xbox One. I'm also fine with criticism. And anyone who says they don't have a favorite console is amazing and I applaud you for transcending to that level.
Seriously, Ship is not the one to single out as being against any console since he buys literally everything. I'm pretty sure he has played his Wii U way more than I have, and if anything that would be the one system the CAGcast guys put down the most. In fact, he's probably played it more than most hardcore Wii U owners ;). (Those that play 100's of hours of Monster Hunter excepted).

Definitely compliments to the Cagcast team for getting the XBone thing right.  I must say though, that the internet outrage is far more predictable, and the cagcast crew shouldn't be anymore upset that people would freak out.  And that freak out is what has eventually led to Microsoft doing a 180, so we should, to some extent, be thankful for the freak out.

But more than anything, I heard it said on Weekend Confirmed that "No one saw this coming."  But the Cagcast did, and this is why I listen to the Cagcast.  They are better than any other at understanding the business end.  So, well done.

It's interesting that Cheapy's spun the "both systems will have the same DRM" statement that was about Sony using Xbox One-style DRM to now going the other way. I listened to the 8-4 Play that Cheapy was on where he also said it was much harder to plug in a rechargable controller than to go across the street to get some batteries. I would love to know why he was never upset about the Xbox One not being region-free and not working in Japan before, as he played that off like he'd have the hook-up to get around the DRM. It's one thing to not be angry, but it's another to never have any negative emotion about the rules that were in place to make sure that you couldn't use it. You tend to start conversations about the Xbox One by talking about crazy twitter responses. You just seem to only care about how much money it'll make you from the links on CAG and not how it personally affected you as a potential console owner in Japan.

The Xbox One is still to expensive to me, Shipwreck. I don't care what the public will pay. For me, it's too expensive for a system with major features that I don't care about (Kinect) or cannot use (TV). If the Xbox 360 is an indication, it's media playback features will be lackluster at best.

Paying $150 for the original Kinect and paying $500 for a Kinect-based console are very different things.

Wombat, since you're not the mayor, you're not going to get Tortimer to show up and invite you to the Island in Animal Crossing: New Leaf. If Mrs. Wombat isn't playing it everyday and doing things like paying off her house, then you probably won't get to go to the Island. You fucked up by letting her be the mayor since you're the one playing it everyday.
I agree with this. Cheapy is spinning it to make himself look right.

I don't get the Shipwreck complaints.

I get that Shipwreck has preferences, everyone does, but he buys everything. I mean, he's the only one on the CAGcast to talk about anything Nintendo home console related in a long time.

I get that Shipwreck has preferences, everyone does, but he buys everything. I mean, he's the only one on the CAGcast to talk about anything Nintendo home console related in a long time.
Bingo. I was pretty surprised that after being at E3 he also went to his local Best Buy demo (which is something even I didn't feel like doing). He seems genuinely excited about a few of the games coming to the Wii U and that is good news to me since I'm pulling for that system really hard but like a lot of others just don't play it that much because there isn't much to play. Plus, it isn't like I'm going to get any news or opinions on those games from the other two ;).

I think Microsoft's biggest problem was never getting ahead of this story.  They had a PR plan that made sense when they laid it out, but when this DRM story broke months ago they never said anything so the story never went away.  They should have have got out front and explained the family plan/sharing months ago.  

I agree with Ship I don't think Sony could do what Microsoft was/is trying to do.  I think they realized it they couldn't compete with "future" stuff so they did what they did at E3.

The Baroness's real name is Anastasia which isn't bad. 

FYI Sony already have a game (full) sharing feature on the PS3 for PSN titles but it's linked to a single PSN ID. If you read the original offical statement of the game sharing on Xbox One, you'd know that you don't actually share the full game accross all family accounts, there is one main acct. and the subsidaries have a 45min demo which is shared.

FYI Sony already have a game (full) sharing feature on the PS3 for PSN titles but it's linked to a single PSN ID. If you read the original offical statement of the game sharing on Xbox One, you'd know that you don't actually share the full game accross all family accounts, there is one main acct. and the subsidaries have a 45min demo which is shared.
That 45 minute demo stuff was debunked by Microsoft. And what PS3 sharing is currently is not even close to what they were talking about.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/on-xbox-ones-social-network-canceled-family-share-demos

That 45 minute demo stuff was debunked by Microsoft. And what PS3 sharing is currently is not even close to what they were talking about.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/on-xbox-ones-social-network-canceled-family-share-demos
Isn't it nice of those Microsoft executives to give us concrete details on how their family sharing plan would have functioned now that's it's been scrapped? Kind of funny how family sharing isn't going to be allowed for digitally purchased titles, though.

The guys seemed to only be talking about the American situation when it came to pre-orders and price, which is fine if that's all they care about. But worldwide Sony is in a much better position going into this next generation than they were with the PS3 which cost US $200 more and came out a year or more after the 360.

The UK is Microsoft's second strongest market, but they have priced the Xbone at a whopping £429 or US $661. Even accounting for the 20% sales tax in Britain that's a big markup, and it seems like a lot of the TV features won't work there. The 360 and PS3 ended up with equal global market share thanks to the US and UK going strongly for the 360 in this generation. If those two territories are closer to 50/50 with the Xbone and PS4 then Sony will be far ahead in overall console sales.

On the show, he was a bit overly defensive about a lot of things that he didn't really need to go on the offensive about. I get that Xbox One will sell out regardless, but that still doesn't mean that I can't think it's too expensive.

On the show, he was a bit overly defensive about a lot of things that he didn't really need to go on the offensive about. I get that Xbox One will sell out regardless, but that still doesn't mean that I can't think it's too expensive.
I wasn't defending or offending anything. I simply think that $500 is not too much for an Xbox One and $400 is a really good price for the PS4. I'm not attacking anyone for their feelings on the matter.

No one needs to. Just check out the pastebin link posted a few posts above yours. Or the one wombat tweeted: http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read It's very easy to see that this was a fucked up project where the managers we so focused on what was being gained that they were blinded to what was being lost
Not responding to you bickle, but the MS employee blog you linked.

It's not our fault you started to and ran with a flawed project. It should have been very obvious that implementing systems that REMOVE consumers freedoms will have a negative impact and should not even started development for them. "Remember the way things worked for 30+ years? Ya fuck that."

Sony revealed console back in Feb, MS was going in April but delayed another month. They had plenty of time to release the "positive story" before the bad press was official and not just rumors. The Adam Orth debacle proves that they weren't listening and tried to roll with it to see if they could "get away with it". There was no positive angle.

Before I'm trolled on "Family Share plan" was a positive, PS3 started that years ago with 5 consoles, now only 2 since publisher backlash. 2 is still more than 1, and all DLC and digital games work on those 2 consoles, no matter who is signed in. No way they'd [The Publishers] let MS get away with 10. And they could still roll that plan out with $60 day one digital-only games / XBLA games. Oh wait, I can just quote them on what Family Sharing really is (IE: Nothing)

First is family sharing, this feature is near and dear to me and I truly felt it would have helped the industry grow and make both gamers and developers happy. The premise is simple and elegant, when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library. Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world. There was never any catch to that, they didn’t have to share the same billing address or physical address it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game.
This might sound a little fanboy sure, but I'm not sure if MS is rolling this out too. But the PS4 bragged that you can do that with any PS4 game, right from the marketplace/store. They said you'd be able to demo any game instantly, after a short download, and it'd download the rest in the background. No need for a family member to own the game. PS3 has had 60 min "not demos" but full on start of game with PS+ for years.

The used gaming industry is slowly killing them [The Publishers] and every attempt to slow down the bleeding was met with much resistance from the gaming community.I will admit that online passes were not well received nor were they well implemented, but I felt given time to mature it could have turned into something worth having as a gamer much like DLC (we went from pointless horse armor to amazing season passes like Borderlands 2!)
Oh, so we know they hated a $10 online pass? They will love our new $60 OFFLINE pass. That doesn't solve used game situation, it just makes it worse because people will buy less games, hurting the new sales. I still believe used games helps the gaming industry in the long run.

I moved from 360 to PS3 way later in the gen cycle. I bought Uncharted 1 used (no place to buy it new at the time anyway). I loved it. I then went right out and bought Uncharted 2 GOTY edition new. And when it came time for Uncharted 3, I pre-ordered it. Had that Uncharted 1 been a digital-only title (On-Live BS) for $20-$40, I would have never taken the chance.

QUOTE (It's saying I used too many quotes in one post)

"Another feature that we didn’t speak out about was the fact we were building a natural social network with Xbox One in itself that didn’t require gamers to open their laptops/tablets to post to their other friends nor did they need to wrestle with keyboard add-ons. Each Xbox Live account would have a full “home space” in which they could post their highest scores, show off their best Game DVR moments, what they’ve watched via Xbox TV and leave messages for others to read and respond to. Kinect 2.0 and Xbox One work together and has robust voice to text capabilities. The entire notion of communicating with friends you met online would have been natural and seamless. No reliance on Facebook, or Twitter (though those are optional for those who want them). Everything is perfectly crafted for the Xbox One controller and Kinect 2.0 and given that shine that only Microsoft can provide."

END QUOTE

Yay, they were going to copy the Mii Verse...but why are they ditching it now?

Ok so they listed 2 positives that...aren't "positives" but are already out there features...that they can STILL DO. Nothing stopping them. There was no need for 24hr check ins, no used game, etc for these features they boast. Not mentioned in this blog: "Oh you didn't need to have a disc in the tray to play!" Wow, what a new feature! Just buy the digital version, you can do that for some games now and all games in the future silly.

In English please...

Furthermore, Cheapy D is not turning Korean. It think he is turning Japanese. I really think so... :)
My hope is that it was auto-corrected from "Karate-Man", as they tend to bleed on the "inside".

Summary:

3 Xbots trying their hardest to defend Microsoft...
Sweet. The cheap lame hate is even coming to CAG! LOVE IT!
There is little worse than a console launch on the internet.

I know a lot you will never believe it, but I would rather be able to share my games with my friends, than have the ability to play used games.  Also, the instant-play options(because games were mandatory installs) was a very valuable feature to me, that is also presumably gone because of all the changes.

I'm all for a console world that only needs discs because you don't want to download a 20 gig game over your broadband(no matter how fast that is).

Also, I am pretty sure that I haven't lost internet connnectivity for more than 24 hours once in the last 5 years.  I understand that others do not have this ability, and it sucks  -  but due to all the changes, I am actually LESS excited for the XBox One than I was after the first press conference.  

I definitely wouldn't buy one in the first 12 months anyway, but I am less excited about it because they backtracked on their vision for what Next-Gen could be.

threatening genocide now = DRM on Consoles??????

Screw you, Cheapy. Just because a mobile game isn't coming out on your precious Apple devices doesn't mean that the listeners weren't interested in hearing Wombat's impressions of Halo: Spartan Ops. Dick move shutting him up.
Quoted to basically "re-tweet" this. I was interested in hearing about this too after hearing about it on the Giant Bombcast, I wanted to see their take on it.

As for all of this going on here, if you don't like what you've been hearing lately, then don't.

I just get the impression that our three hosts' lives are sort of drifting away from where most of the listeners are. Soon, it will be three fathers who for the most part try to get in gaming when they can, and who will stick to the games they like. Forza, Borderlands and Elder Scrolls. There is nothing really wrong with that, but that's just where this show is trending. I love the site and all, but I find myself listening to Giant Bomb more, considering that they give all games a fair shake for the most part, as dismissive as they can be sometimes. They at least give new games some time.

Cheapy really shouldn't be taking this thread personally, which as much as he will deny it, it seems as he is.

Most people are acting fucking crazy about this though. Look at the hate. People give Sony a pass because they are so focused on Microsoft bringing down Civilizations with their next-gen consoles.

The console will be sold out early, it will continue to sell well down the line because Microsoft is great at marketing and its going to be a quality unit. 

I don't blame Cheapy at all. The podcast is there for opinions and crazy nerds come to attack him for his opinions. In general, some of the people on here are spoiled fucking babies because they aren't told what they want to hear on certain subjects.

https://twitter.com/CheapyD/status/348950673733341184

Cheapy says we're being unreasonable. It would probably be a good idea to respond to us in person on your own website rather than badmouth us behind our backs.
It's just fishing for people to respond that they agree with him.

People are unreasonable to have concerns about the policies of a company that has been subject to an anti-trust suit in the US and has had cases against them in Europe for anti-consumer policies.

bread's done
Back