CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

Is the Lions vs Redskins game going to get played? I seem to remember Troy mention that he traded in the game. If you need the Lions put on auto, please let me know. I just want to know what's up with that game.

Edit: Yep, he said (from his new name) that he traded it in "awhile ago." Although, he mentioned trying to find a copy if his team made the playoffs, which they did.

On that note, madden was fun the past two seasons. I traded in my copy to amazon awhile ago, it's up to 17 right now if anyone wants to trade it in. I'll try to find a random copy of it if the lions somehow made the playoffs. Might get madden 25 this year not quite sure though. If I do I'm sure ill see you all in a different league next year. The gaming part of the league was fun.
He said he was going to go "rent" the game from gamestop for 7 days so he could play our game and would keep me updated. I was going to send him a message tonight after work to see if he had it yet, and if not see if I can play the cpu. I've got tickets for a minor league game downtown tomorrow evening so it has to get played tonight.
What teams?
Greensboro Grasshoppers vs West Virginia Power. Front row behind the plate and fireworks afterwards. Should be a good time.
Nice. West Virginia has some interesting names on their roster, including Stetson Allie and Josh Bell (their #3 and 4 hitters I believe).

Intimidators fan checking in. :D

I am going to jump on and make sure the Lions are on auto and everything.

Edit: He is playing the CPU. We will advance when he's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming the "JV" league comes back for 25, we really need to re-examine the vetting process, though I don't know if that was the problem as much as the fact that people understated their Madden ability just so they could come in and "run shit".

So I traded in a couple annual titles to Amazon (madden 13, 2k13, forza). Their practice of constantly changing trade in values is crazy. I don't know how often I'll trade with them. Yesterday Dishonored was worth $3.50ish, today it is $14...wtf

We have advanced! Congrats to that teams that advanced! Deadline is 6/16.

Games:

AFC
Bills vs Broncos
Bengals vs Ravens

NFC
Saints vs Giants
Redskins vs 49ers

I can't believe I play the CPU...

Assuming the "JV" league comes back for 25, we really need to re-examine the vetting process, though I don't know if that was the problem as much as the fact that people understated their Madden ability just so they could come in and "run shit".
Yeah, I don't even know what a better method would be at this point. It was probably fairly obvious, but during the latter portions of the league, my logic was to just piss off enough people so they wouldn't want to come back. For better or worse, some people got more heat and attention because they took incredibly gifted teams...which made their already above average play skyrocket them to the front of the line. Not sure how you can really police that.

But I do think there is something to be said for people recognizing their ability and choosing their team accordingly...or AT LEAST using the team they're actually a fan of. I really would like there to be some kind of honesty and virtue in it. Hell, for that matter, maybe just going with straight up fantasy rosters is the way to go. However, as I mentioned before, the trading cap will without question be reinstated next year. Nothing against how jbake and Tiger wanted to shape their teams...but being able to pull off all of those moves within the course of one season is ridiculous.

Honestly, I'm curious to see who even wants to come back to this league next year. Blade and DVO will have their start up league going. So, it'll be interesting to see what type of league people want.

Sorry for the triple post. The Super Bowl should go down today. Also, the trade credit jump on Amazon back to around $17. Mine will leave after the Super Bowl. ;)

Sorry for the quad post.

Broncos win the Super Bowl 45 - 35 over the previously undefeated 49ers! 

it was a hard fought game. Arian Foster ended up being more than I was expecting. He tore it up and ran for well over 200 yards. Luckily, Reggie was as active as ever and responded on the ground and air, with over 250+ all purpose yards. Jeff Demps took two kickoffs to house which paved a way to the win. Reggie Bush was the MVP. Excellent game, Tiger! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!

Wow, sounds like an exciting game. Of course, Madden Jeff Demps did more in that game than real life Jeff Demps will in his career, lol. But that's a fitting end to Madden 13, haha. And with that, we are done. I wish we could have gotten through more than 3 seasons...but in a way, I feel like the between the season crap kind of dragged things down. As much as I liked having a salary cap and free agency, there were times when the extra things became tedious...the practices especially.

I'm a little worried about what is supposed to be added in Madden 25 (setting ticket prices, assigning vendors, relocating teams, etc). I just hope they don't waste all of their time focusing on these gimmicky things when there are several other areas that would make online franchise more enjoyable (being able to change your playbook without retiring your coach, defensive assignments, being able to practice with your team outside of the defined XP conditions, better website integration, etc, etc). Anyway, thanks to everyone who participated this year. We had our ups and downs, but we got through it. I definitely have a vision for what I want this league to be...and we'll continue to work toward that in August. Thanks for playing!

Congrats Dark Rider. Looks like the '12-'13 Dolphins can pop the bubbly. Glad to see you win it man, well done. Thanks to Nate for guiding us through another year of maddening Madden.

I can't say whether I'll pick up M25. As much as I love the community my weariness of Madden reached critical mass by the end. I'm on the fence.

Congrats, Dark Rider. Nice to see a veteran take home the trophy.

Congrats, Dark Rider. Nice to see a veteran take home the trophy.
Indeed. He is definitely a deserving champion.

Congrats Dark Rider. Looks like the '12-'13 Dolphins can pop the bubbly. Glad to see you win it man, well done. Thanks to Nate for guiding us through another year of maddening Madden.

I can't say whether I'll pick up M25. As much as I love the community my weariness of Madden reached critical mass by the end. I'm on the fence.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I did not expect to make it this far.

I would also like to thank Nate! I think he has done an excellent job of keeping this league running. I appreciate it, man! On that note, I am not sure if I will buy Madden 25. After putting hundreds of hours into this game, I am officially wiped out. We'll just have to see! I did have a lot of fun though!

Well, if you realy think about it, there's still over 2 months until the next Madden comes out. I could easily be put in the "burnt out" catgegory as well. But after a 2 month break and real football starting up, I'm sure I'll have an itch to play again. But this break is definitely necessary.

Madden 13 is now trading in for a ridiculous amount of $21.87 at Amazon if anyone is looking to get rid of their copy. You can get an extra $10 if you use the credit towards certain preorders. They have a good selection of games including this gen and next gen. I'll probably use mine to get a half price PS4 game.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1001227191_grlink_4?ie=UTF8&docId=1001227191&plgroup=4
Dammit...now I really wish I had won my playoff game. It was at $16.89 when I locked in my trade, then when they started that $10 bonus promo, it dropped to like $6.00...so I just mailed it off. Can't believe it's basically double what I got now.

Yeah, I've been getting Amazon TIVs wrong too.  I traded in Madden, Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition, and another game to GS for $33 after their $10 promo which was better than what I would have gotten through Amazon.  But now I wish I had sent Madden and Bioshock into Amazon anyway.  If I had timed it right I could have gotten $45 plus the $10 promo.

Yeah, I found myself thinking this afternoon, "hey, I should order that $100 collectors edition of Madden on Amazon." I then caught myself. Ugh, what is this evil football curse?

Haha, and the NFL season hasn't even started yet. It's amazing what a month off can do. And we've still got another month till launch. You should be frothing by then. ;)
I know. I haven't turned on my 360 since I attempted to play my Wild Card game and it kept shutting down. I took it to the car wash and used the "space age" vacuum on it (that's seriously what it says on the sign :lol: ) That thing really sucks. I couldn't believe how much dust came out of the vents. I'm hoping that fixes the problem, otherwise I'll be picking up a new system the day Madden comes out. I would've had one by now if I'd felt the urge to play any other 360 games. I've been spending most of my gaming time on The Show.

waynes_world_4.png

It certainly does suck...

In case anyone is wondering, I am definitely intending on bringing this league back in a very no-nonsense kind of way. I think the biggest thing I'm proud of from last year was just fleshing out the rules and establishing black and white terms for what is allowed and what isn't. Obviously, some of that might need to be revised for the new game, but my hope is it will give us a head start on avoiding a lot of BS. I do think I'll revise the strike system though. Really, nobody needs more than 3 strikes. I think 1st = suspension, 2nd = 1 game suspension, 3rd = booted from league, is probably good enough. I'd like the focus this year to just be enjoying football. I'm definitely not going to have time to keep going over the rules. And hte people who in it for the right reasons won't be affected by it anyway.

I'm also waiting to create a new thread or kick anything off until the Official League gets their spots handed out. We had several people flip flopping last year, and I'd like to avoid that if possible. Even if the end result is this league being scaled back a bit, I'm fine with that. I even had an idea about how it would be nice if there were a league where people just played as their favorite team, regardless of how good they are (I know some people do...but often this puts them at a disadvantage). Of course, this creates scenarios where a really really good player might love a really really good team...but I guess even that at least feels more authentic. I don't know, there probably isn't a "solution". I'd just love to get away from this "whatever gives me the best chance of winning" mindset.

I'm just thinking about guys like fero, who is a Dolphins fan...uber, who is a Jets fan...Matt Young, who is a Packers fan...jza1218, who is a Giants fan...Ultimate Matt X, who is a Browns fan...and myself (Titans fan). These are pretty much all examples of people who maintain a reasonable amount of balance in either taking a "bad team" and making them better...or taking a "good team" and having it help their game. Again, I don't know how feasible something like this would ever be...but to me, I guess it seems like a league would be more fun if you knew people actually cared about their team in real life, and weren't just using them because it gives them the best chance to curb stomp you. Anyway..maybe that will spark some conversation, haha.

/Madden Utopia, lol. ;)

And slofton with the highest rated team! What? They're my fav. Go winning team! :D

I'm torn on rejoining truthfully. I had to sim a lot of games, and thats not fun for other people.

Should I take a picture of myself in a Packers jersey and coat while doing a handstand next to my Packers logo flag (my walls look like my signature)?

Disclaimer: I can't actually do a handstand.

It's tricky for me. i don't really have a favorite team. I usually watch about all of the Colts and Bengals games since I'm between the areas and most of their games are the ones shown on regional CBS/FOX coverage, so I guess it would be one of those if I had to choose.

Has there been any thought of just doing a fantasy draft league? I know those drafts take forever, but it seems like it might even out the playing field a bit.

It's tricky for me. i don't really have a favorite team. I usually watch about all of the Colts and Bengals games since I'm between the areas and most of their games are the ones shown on regional CBS/FOX coverage, so I guess it would be one of those if I had to choose.

Has there been any thought of just doing a fantasy draft league? I know those drafts take forever, but it seems like it might even out the playing field a bit.
I've thought about it...and it definitely would be the thing to do in the interest of keeping things fair (assuming people draft intelligently). But then, from a fan's perspective, I think I'd also rather play with my actual team. I'm kind of torn between taking a hardcore ultra-fair, ultra-strict approach vs. keeping things more casual (not that it still wouldn't be strict).

I guess the biggest thing I want is just having some like-minded people in here. Like I want to play through seasons as my favorite team...build the team up the best I can...and compete in some friendly games that are reasonably matched. What I DON'T want is people using deception and trickery to get ahead, teams being ripped apart, people routinely running for 5 TDs a game/throwing for 8 TDs a game, etc. I guess overall, I'd like a more realistic league. Obviously, the game being more realistic would help a lot, but we'll see how that goes.

I'm also open to ideas if people want to toss things around. Several of you have been with this thing just as long as I have, and as tumultuous as it gets at times, I still hope we all still pretty much want the same thing. I think definitely one of the first things to revisit is the trade cap. I think things just got way too crazy last year (especially between the 2nd and 3rd season). When you're playing in a limited season league like this, I don't think the salary cap had as much of an impact as we would've liked for it to have. You either had people mortgaging a future that wouldn't come, or people finding ways to circumvent the cap anyway. I think putting some trade limits back in place would probably be reasonable.

I am going to try and go with my home team (Panthers) this year. I tried to get them last year, but got the Broncos instead (Not complaining). Whether I want them will depend on how their running back stats are. If Stewart and Williams are good, I will definitely want to go for them. However, I just have feeling the Panthers will get terrible ratings except for Luke and Newton. 

I definitely agree on a trade cap.  Last year there were way too many ridiculous moves.  Arian Foster changed teams 4 or 5 times at least.  When players move that much, its really hard to take the league seriously.

I dont really like a fantasy draft though, you know that some people will just draft all the 99 speed guys they can and load up on "Madden" talent.

Have they talked about what options will be available to online commish's?
Yes, I believe they said they are removing all of them, lol. Honestly, I really haven't read up or watched anything on Madden 25. Maybe that says something about my expectations. I don't know. All I'm thinking going in is that I know I will be following the Titans this season. I know I'm excited about the changes they've made to the roster. And I know I'll want to try to do well with the team in a video game setting. How much EA hampers my ability to do that remains to be seen.

I really would love to get whoever wants to participate in this league on the same page though...and dammit, I still like the idea of people playing as the team they are actually a fan of in real life. Maybe it sounds stupid, but I feel like it would make winning the Super Bowl mean more? And maybe this is a bad example..but Chetty winning the Super Bowl with Miami in season one...who cares? Did it mean anything to him? Other than he rules at Madden and can win with a shitty team, I doubt it. Was perdition(troy a Lions fan? I don't even know. I mean, I guess it doesn't matter. I just kind of feel like it would add something to the league if people played for love of their team rather than for love of winning at video game football.

I am going to try and go with my home team (Panthers) this year. I tried to get them last year, but got the Broncos instead (Not complaining). Whether I want them will depend on how their running back stats are. If Stewart and Williams are good, I will definitely want to go for them. However, I just have feeling the Panthers will get terrible ratings except for Luke and Newton.
Well, are you actually a Panthers fan or are they just your home team? (may seem like a weird question, but I hated the Panthers when I lived in NC, lol). Honestly, I'd probably be more inclined this year to give veterans first crack at teams no matter what (ie. not worrying about exclusivity) just in the hope that people would be true to their fandom and we'd see teams that people care about filled all year. I know some teams went through 3-4 owners last year...many of which were among the first 10 teams selected. I still like giving newcomers a chance to become lasting players...but at this point, I'd rather they earn it.

I definitely agree on a trade cap. Last year there were way too many ridiculous moves. Arian Foster changed teams 4 or 5 times at least. When players move that much, its really hard to take the league seriously.

I dont really like a fantasy draft though, you know that some people will just draft all the 99 speed guys they can and load up on "Madden" talent.
Yeah, that's definitely a solid point. Using real rosters would force everyone to at least start out with a "real roster" (har har). And then wiith a trade cap, they wouldn't be able to massacre quite so bad. I'm sure the game will still have holes and exploits (ie. speed is da best!), but whatever we can do to at least reduce their impact will help keep things more realistic.

Well, are you actually a Panthers fan or are they just your home team? (may seem like a weird question, but I hated the Panthers when I lived in NC, lol). Honestly, I'd probably be more inclined this year to give veterans first crack at teams no matter what (ie. not worrying about exclusivity) just in the hope that people would be true to their fandom and we'd see teams that people care about filled all year. I know some teams went through 3-4 owners last year...many of which were among the first 10 teams selected. I still like giving newcomers a chance to become lasting players...but at this point, I'd rather they earn it.
Yep, I am definitely a big Panthers fan! I have been watching them since we moved here when I was young in 2000 (actually from Nashville, lol). I like Newton to an extent, but my favorite era of the team was definitely the 03' Super Bowl run.

The only problem is that the Panthers have never been a good style fit for me. I will just have to see the rating and decide between a more Madden friendly team or my favorite team.

One thing that might be a good idea with a trade cap is the idea of franchise players. When an owner takes over a team, they have to designate one of their five highest-rated players as a franchise player. That player can only be dealt for another franchise guy, or two first-round picks (the equivalent of one franchise guy, since you can't predict where a pick will end up, etc). That might help curb some of  the craziness.

Born and raised in Chicago, I'm 100% a Bears fan and would love to play with them. I don't know the system for picking teams is on here and I know there are other Bears fans in the leage... so I guess my 2nd choice would be the Texans since now I live in Houston. 

Haha, I'll gladly give up the Bears. I was so sick of that team by the end of last year.

I do think the trading guidelines need worked on this year, though. I'm not sure what all the answers are, but a cap is definitely a good place to start. If DVO ends up not playing in the league, the trade committee will have a tenth of the work we had last year, lol.

bread's done
Back