Call of Duty: Black Ops - Gen. Discussion & Info - OUT NOW

Free food you say? But no place to sit down..hmmm. I guess I'll just call to see if they've found out what the plans are. On a side note; I was surprised to hear that our local GameStop has been sold out of the Hardened edition of Black Ops for 2 months now. Sounds like allot of people are pretty pumped about the extra maps and goodies.

[quote name='raistlin']Free food you say? But no place to sit down..hmmm. I guess I'll just call to see if they've found out what the plans are. On a side note; I was surprised to hear that our local GameStop has been sold out of the Hardened edition of Black Ops for 2 months now. Sounds like allot of people are pretty pumped about the extra maps and goodies.[/QUOTE]

yeah im sure not a whole lot of GS will do that but oh well. And as for the extra maps, ill just get them off my friend with gameshare. i try not to buy into SPECIAL editions unless they actually give you cool stuff and are not more than double the price of the actual game itself.

Yeah I don't blame you. I rarely buy "limited editions" as well.

Edit: On second thought, that double exp is going to be in the new Killzone. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone's gonna be playing this on the PS3 on the reg feel free to add me, I recently just got back on the PSN and only have like 3 friends that still have their accounts.

So apparently most of the GameStops plan to have a couple of events going tomorrow night. One is being called "camo" where I guess they will paint your face. The other is a "trivia" contest. So brush up on your MW knowledge if you plan on going! You might just win a key chain...or something. Stores will open at 9:30PM, festivities are planned to start at 10:00PM. I plan to stop by, if it looks as lame as it sounds...I'll just leave and come back at 11:30.

Edit: Be sure to wear your cool shades to the event...

15xac2b.jpg

Been playing with three friends taking turns on matches... we all have it and have PS3s... but had to get going as soon as we go it. Was a blast to play with people taking turns. Really enjoy the map variety.

I am a fan of MW 1 and to a lesser extent MW 2... I ordered Black Ops since it came with a 20 dollar credit so this will be my first Treyarch entry. Is it going to be on par with Infinity Ward's entries?

[quote name='willardhaven']I am a fan of MW 1 and to a lesser extent MW 2... I ordered Black Ops since it came with a 20 dollar credit so this will be my first Treyarch entry. Is it going to be on par with Infinity Ward's entries?[/QUOTE]
This is not on par with Infinity Ward's last game, MW2. It plays like a dumbed down version with terrible host selection and what I would consider an experimental purchasing system that doesn't work well/wasn't structured by somebody with half a brain towards making multiplayer fair and level. There are more campers and everybody uses the M16 now.

No dedicated servers for consoles, it's a peer to peer network.

Anyone with the PS3 harden edition who doesnt use PSHome, please hook me up with the Avatar outfit code! Please!!! Just PM if you are willing to help.

Anyhow amazin that Live has like 2.5mil players online! DAUM! Hope PS3 has its own healthy community.

This game is great. Split screen multiplayer and zombies online was a direct answer to my request from WAW. Had so much fun with this game today.

After a sleepless night and almost twenty levels...so far I'm really happy with it. Tons of people playing to be sure. I like the variety of maps and gun options etc etc. I'm kinda bummed that scavenger doesn't resupply claymores anymore, but eh whatever. I give this game a 4.8 out of 5. :applause:

[quote name='Mad39er']This is not on par with Infinity Ward's last game, MW2. It plays like a dumbed down version with terrible host selection and what I would consider an experimental purchasing system that doesn't work well/wasn't structured by somebody with half a brain towards making multiplayer fair and level. There are more campers and everybody uses the M16 now.

No dedicated servers for consoles, it's a peer to peer network.[/QUOTE]

I find it much better than MW 2. The purchasing system balances the game out a bit more instead of heavily favoring those who have leveled up the most. It's still not that way for weapons so of course higher levels still have the advantage there, but in terms of perks and equipment it sure makes it easier to compete with those who have put much more time into the game. Though, Im' not seeing a whole lot of M16's. I'm seeing more light machine guns than anything.

Add to the fact I think the maps are put together much better, there is more variety in those maps than MW2 ever had, the killstreaks are nowhere near as harsh as they were in MW2, other modes that were put in such as the combat training and wager matches are great...I find Black Ops a much more satisfying game.

Granted it was only 1 day of playing, but I think it is better than MW2's multiplayer in every single way. It is a lot of fun using SMGs again where in MW2 I didn't use them much. The maps have so many different routes that I think it discourages camping because there aren't many places where you can't get to. The currency system is great as within a few games I had purchased extended mags for the mp5k along with sleight of hand and was tearing people up.

My Black Ops MP thoughts:

-Character and gun models do look a bit dated, but it seems like it was done to help with the framerate (which is NOT been an issue, so its all good).
-No USP in the game, so I can't go Jack Bauer rage on people (Makarov is a pretty sick pistol, cant wait to unlock the CZ75).
-Ice Cube keeps telling to watch out on the jungle map, didn't know NWA's roots were from Vietnam.
-Love the pacing. MW2 was basically arena combat with modern guns (rather than UT's plasma stuff), Black Ops is back to gun combat.
- Learn to love S&D, thats where the real FPS talent and awesome game sessions come from. Nothing gets your heart beating when it is 1v5 and the bomb has been planted.
-Knife tracking is toned down. That shit was too noob friendly in MW2, now it is at a good balance.
-Love the CoD money and Contracts
-Customization, YES!
-Split screen online, YES!

Havent played FPS in awhile and already off to a good start. I run out of ammo too quick with the 1911, but having the enhanced iron sights has been a huge plus. Havent seen any abusable perk setups yet (care package knife hilarious and stupid in mw2). Will be playing this for sometime. Can't wait to get my rugby game mode going: Sabotage, headshots and shotguns only. No knife, no secondary, and hopefully instant plant time for the try.

I have gotten a bunch of invites, but please write in your friend request that you are from CAG. :D

Online is great but I have a crappy connection at school so I find myself playing the online training mode instead. Really wish down the line they could patch it in for offline too. I kept going about 33-10 on the hardened bots, got online and started off like 21-4 but started lagging out and ended like 24-12. Still, I'm going to keep practicing and hopefully keep getting better once they put up a legitimate connection out here.

As far as SP. Never ending enemy spawning? Again? I thought treyarch would have followed suit after mw2 did away with that, but veteran is so fucking frustrating. I've put in at least around 6 hours so far and still on level 3. Hopefully it gets better.

Overall this game is great and I'm loving it. Probably my favorite out of the series so far, veteran SP is frustrating as hell but this far that's my only real complaint.

Probably the only complaint I have so far are the sound effects. In previous games, the guns/explosions were loud as hell, but they seemed to have been toned down big time now. Hell, even a Napalm strike sounds pretty crappy. Other than that, liking it alot.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Probably the only complaint I have so far are the sound effects. In previous games, the guns/explosions were loud as hell, but they seemed to have been toned down big time now. Hell, even a Napalm strike sounds pretty crappy. Other than that, liking it alot.[/QUOTE]

Try going into your options->audio settings. It's set to "quiet" by default.

Enjoying the game so far. Not crazy about the contracts part...but overall, a nice change. Definitely noticing some improvements over MW2 that are welcomed.

[quote name='8bitArtist']how many zombie maps come with the regular edition game? the way activision works, i was assuming you only got that pentagon level to start.[/QUOTE]

1 to start (an old one from WaW)

1 unlocked after finishing the campaign (pentagon level, I think)

I do wish they would have put more effort into the theater mode. Right now you can only upload 30 second clips (which isn't working). I suppose you could download each video from YT and splice them together and re-upload, but that seems like an awful lot of work when they could have just done it right the first time. :bomb: On a side note, I think this may be where some of the frame rate issues have been coming from you've undoubtedly read about on the boards. People with older PS3s probably have fragmented hdd's. Given that Black Ops records and stores your last 10 matches it's taxing on the core processor as well. The solution probably lies between them tweeking the process, and people needing to do a nice clean format of their hdd's. That raises the question as to whether installing a 7200RPM drive might help boost FPS under these conditions.

[quote name='raistlin']I do wish they would have put more effort into the theater mode. Right now you can only upload 30 second clips (which isn't working). I suppose you could download each video from YT and splice them together and re-upload, but that seems like an awful lot of work when they could have just done it right the first time. :bomb: On a side note, I think this may be where some of the frame rate issues have been coming from you've undoubtedly read about on the boards. People with older PS3s probably have fragmented hdd's. Given that Black Ops records and stores your last 10 matches it's taxing on the core processor as well. The solution probably lies between them tweeking the process, and people needing to do a nice clean format of their hdd's. That raises the question as to whether installing a 7200RPM drive might help boost FPS under these conditions.[/QUOTE]

I'm beginning to think Treyarch purposely gimped the graphics in Black Ops in favor of recording at lower resolutions.

is anyone having problems joining games today? it takes forever to join and there are constant drops, oddly, this didnt happen yesterday on launch day...

After 20+ days played in MW2 online and then wanting to find the people responsible for it to kill them with a spoon, i can say i am in love with black ops online. Ive been noob tubed twice in the past 2 nights, and only 1 single time has anyone stabbed me through my bullets up close. Its a breathe of fresh air really.

The graphics arent as good, the frame rate isnt as good, but damn if it isnt just 100x better of a game online. Im constantly playing at nights with my cousins, add me if you'd like, blitz6speed is psn name.

There are of course campers but those are in every online shooter. Nothing you can do about that.

[quote name='blitz6speed']
There are of course campers but those are in every online shooter. Nothing you can do about that.[/QUOTE]

There's definitely allot of things I like about Black Ops without a doubt. Some of the added features and nerfs to the super man abilities are a nice change. Although now that everyone is getting comfortable, I've played through quite a few sessions where people are falling into the same old routine of camping. Not that camping isn't a legitimate stradegy....it's just annoying as hell. :bs: Thank God for the tomahawk! :evil:

Just beat veteran. It was tough, but looking back on it I guess it wasn't too bad. Some parts were frustrating as hell but I got through them after time. Probably going to make a normal run through tomorrow for the platinum then go strictly mp and zombies the rest of the way.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Just beat veteran. It was tough, but looking back on it I guess it wasn't too bad. Some parts were frustrating as hell but I got through them after time. Probably going to make a normal run through tomorrow for the platinum then go strictly mp and zombies the rest of the way.[/QUOTE]

thank you for sharing

[quote name='blitz6speed']After 20+ days played in MW2 online and then wanting to find the people responsible for it to kill them with a spoon, i can say i am in love with black ops online. Ive been noob tubed twice in the past 2 nights, and only 1 single time has anyone stabbed me through my bullets up close. Its a breathe of fresh air really.

The graphics arent as good, the frame rate isnt as good, but damn if it isnt just 100x better of a game online. Im constantly playing at nights with my cousins, add me if you'd like, blitz6speed is psn name.

There are of course campers but those are in every online shooter. Nothing you can do about that.[/QUOTE]
I honestly think that you guys whom are in love with Black Ops have yet to meet the players that abuse every single fault it has. Knifing is way worse, hit detection is practically on training wheels and the airstrike killstreaks kill people that are even indoors. Nevermind the fact that the RCXD is a 3 kill killstreak which people stock up and unleash one after another after another in games like Domination where they can sit back and camp, get their 2/3 kills and call in a crap ton of remote controlled C4 cars.

Main gripe is the framerate issue and the hit detection. I might as well just take hardline and spam them rc cars everyone is using... The spawn behavior (TDM) in this game comes second. Too many times has an enemy spawned right behind me and shoot me in the back.

Snipers are totally useless, and might as well throw lmgs in that category. Shotguns also feel like some sort of novelty.

This seems like the loadout everyone is going to use.

Ghost (Pro)
Warlord (Pro)/SoH (Pro)
Ninja Pro

Right now, I'm running

Scavenger Pro
Warlord Pro
Tactical Mask (still need to get the pro version).

Basically a grenadier sort of class. Kinda fun, even if you throw in Decoys in there. You kinda become a one man army.

[quote name='option.iv']Main gripe is the framerate issue and the hit detection. I might as well just take hardline and spam them rc cars everyone is using... The spawn behavior (TDM) in this game comes second. Too many times has an enemy spawned right behind me and shoot me in the back.

Snipers are totally useless, and might as well throw lmgs in that category. Shotguns also feel like some sort of novelty.

This seems like the loadout everyone is going to use.

Ghost (Pro)
Warlord (Pro)/SoH (Pro)
Ninja Pro

Right now, I'm running

Scavenger Pro
Warlord Pro
Tactical Mask (still need to get the pro version).

Basically a grenadier sort of class. Kinda fun, even if you throw in Decoys in there. You kinda become a one man army.[/QUOTE]
The spawning is absolutely terrible and I agree completely with that.

Sniper rifles are somewhat useless, the bland maps make it more so. You really have to sit back and camp to snipe. I get killed by one or two, not so terrible. LMGs are only good for their magazine size since you can spray continually around corners as you go, since so many people camp in corners it's important to do so. Shotguns are definitely a novelty, Olympia has no attachments and reloads so slowly for a 2 shot, breach loading shotgun. You can't even interrupt the reload animation or it doesn't finish reloading, even if you put 3 shells into a 4 shell shotgun, it won't count them.

I personally run around with the Ghost/Warlord/Ninja perk loadout you mentioned. It's pretty decent and I tend to go positive using it but Ninja is currently useless aside from muting your footsteps. Enemy footsteps aren't heard at all.

Spawning is horrible...I only had one really bad match last night and I ended up spawning right in front of an enemy 4 times that game....thus 4 "double" deaths. Awesome.

I have also noticed that the game is far more forgiving when spraying from the hip and there is a lot less kickback on guns. My aiming will have to change a bit. Shottys are not bad on the small maps and have either more range or don't spray as much, but the load times are craptacular.

I know I've seen a lot of people with Marathon in the 3rd slot since Ninja is useless at the moment.

[quote name='Thomas96']Does the relex sight reduce gun recoil?[/QUOTE]
Reflex = Holo sight. Slightly zoomed in, not much else. Red dot = SSDD.

[quote name='langdon_alger']1 to start (an old one from WaW)

1 unlocked after finishing the campaign (pentagon level, I think)[/QUOTE]

If you want to unlock both other zombie maps without beating anything
At the zombies main menu where your sitting in a chair, hit l2/r2 repeatedly to stand your guy up then go to the computer terminal and then type in 3arc unlock to get the pentagon and the arcade one unlocked

[quote name='blissskr']If you want to unlock both other zombie maps without beating anything
At the zombies main menu where your sitting in a chair, hit l2/r2 repeatedly to stand your guy up then go to the computer terminal and then type in 3arc unlock to get the pentagon and the arcade one unlocked
[/QUOTE]

does that disable/mess with trophies?

Complaints:

WTFGraphics.

I rarely find games with a party of over 3 people..

Menu system is simply horrible.

People sponge like bitches.

Also the SMG's are ridiculously overpowered. There are few situations where you would win a gunfight with an M16 (even at long range) when someone is using an AK-74u

What I like:

The campaign is decent.

Zombies are decent.

I know I will get flamed for saying this, but MW2 online was better, is better and will always be better than Black Ops.

Spawn system and lag (even with locale only) ruins this game. I'm fine with everything else though... well also the 'everyone has silent footsteps' crap.

I said it before and I will say it again: "how long before we go back to MW2 game nights?"

Campaign on Veteran first playthrough is brutal and unforgiving. It is almost like playing multiplayer with a 2 bar ping wondering how the f-ck you died when you had someone dead to rights in your sight first but still end up dead.

Campaign on Veteran is killing me too, at some point I don't think the enemy ever stops spawning. I'm really liking the campaign though.

I like the mp and zombies, I will probably be playing this one for a while. I haven't had a problem with campers or anything. I like the maps and how there set up, there's always a different route where you can come up and kill someone...fuck class is starting.

bread's done
Back