Call of Duty: Black Ops - Gen. Discussion & Info - OUT NOW

[quote name='Phelmo']Complaints:

WTFGraphics.

I rarely find games with a party of over 3 people..

Menu system is simply horrible.

People sponge like bitches.

Also the SMG's are ridiculously overpowered. There are few situations where you would win a gunfight with an M16 (even at long range) when someone is using an AK-74u

What I like:

The campaign is decent.

Zombies are decent.

I know I will get flamed for saying this, but MW2 online was better, is better and will always be better than Black Ops.[/QUOTE]

What you mean to say is the SMGs are actually worth a shit now.

The M16 is apparently just bad, it's bad on the 360 too, go figure a starting weapon is bad.

Agreed on people are bullet sponges, though I've noticed it more on 360, haven't had too much of a problem rocking the mp5k and owning.

Graphics are supposedly due to the theater, lower quality graphics = easier for theater features/community features to function.

Played online for 7.5 hours yesterday, party of 5, never had any issues and the game was a blast. I cannot believe people can even compare the disaster of mw2 (which i played for 20+ days) to this game, black ops craps all over it 100 fold. Its not even a comparison.

When i die, its 99% because someone got the drop on me unless they're camping in the bushes and waiting for you to walk by and stab you. Honestly, when i play this game, its just been so fun.

What i am using right now is hardline pro and switching out care packages, i cannot tell you how many times i ended up going from a spy plane or ammo to a chopper gunner or attack dogs. I laugh so hard when the switch happens.

Trying to play with Monkey and somebody else earlier today, we couldn't get into a single match where Monkey could stay the whole time. Could barely get into a match to begin with actually, every time it would drop them or separate them from me. When playing did get started, the game is just clearly favoring whomever it wants regardless of ping. I've put 8 hit markers into people and they kill me with 2 shots. Kill cam reveals I shot them twice(if that) and they simply slaughtered me.

The knifing is absolutely terrible, it's straight up Commando knifing. I get knifed from over 10 feet away, I get knifed around corners, it's just terrible. I maintain usually a +2.0 KDR on MW2(in actual matches, not my current leaderboard ratio) and I can barely scrape above breaking even.

I got the Crossbow and it's pretty damned awesome. I hope IW makes a MW3 because chances are it'll blow Black Ops out of the water if it only takes their improvements and leaves the rest of the MW2 infrastructure in place.

[quote name='combatrhombus']Haha..."people are bullet sponges" that it drives me nuts when you shoot someone 6-8 times and nothing, then bam! two shots and your fucking dead.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for fucking truth

[quote name='Mad39er']I've put 8 hit markers into people and they kill me with 2 shots. Kill cam reveals I shot them twice(if that) and they simply slaughtered me.

The knifing is absolutely terrible, it's straight up Commando knifing. I get knifed from over 10 feet away, I get knifed around corners, it's just terrible. [/QUOTE]

See, my thoughts exactly when you hosted in MW2....it really sucks...worse when you watch the cam and see you never fired. Unless I am behind someone (exception of that TDM last kill last night) I am trying to refrain from knifing.

Networking patch needed STAT....however, I will say that Craptavision was smarter than EA in that they never released a "beta" and made everyone buy it to try it. EA nerfed MOH by releasing that crappy product for us to test.

whats wrong with Mulitiplayer matchmaking? it doesnt work I can find any games and no its not my internet connection.. I did a Google search and it seems to be a widespread problem?

I don't have a problem with the knifing because I figured out that while sprinting and you knife, you lunge like commando, but if you're not sprinting while you knife you won't lunge AS far.

You cover WAY more distance while sprinting when you knife. But once again chalking it up to lag, I spray people in the face and they are able to knife me through it.

Rented it and I'm glad I did. Story is average and online is shit. Constantly getting dropped from my friends party which almost never happened in mw2. Maps are way too small to snipe, anybody with decent eye sight can outdue a sniper with assault rifles.

Zombies is fun though. So going back to mw2 after I return this.

I tried playing today with my brother and we couldn't get into a single match together. I'm trying to hard to like this game but I just can't. I'm actually thinking about picking up MW2 again to play instead of this piece. Today was just retarded when I couldn't play with my brother. I have/had a 1.50 K/D in MW2 and I think I'm like .80 in this game. The lag kills me hard most games, I don't even try to knife anybody ever and if I see two enemies at the same time I resign myself to death. I just found out today you have to pay to unlock the Pro perks which is stupid. I liked the leveling system in MW2 a lot better than this.

Tonight was one of those frustrating nights. Ran into a bunch of games where the opposite team would hide in the bushes, or lay on the ground somewhere, or sit in a dark corner and pick people off as they went by. I mean, do they honestly think they are skilled players when they pull this trash? Its depressing, to be honest. Anyhow, ran into games like that 8 out of 10 times. I just quit and played some Zombies mode instead with the cousins which is just really amazing. I hope those douchers get tired of sitting in the corner soon so people can go back to running and gunning.

Overall very dissapointed with Black Ops.

Good
-Killstreaks are actually balanced. Follow this killstreak system for future titles
-Zombie maps are pretty dam cool.
-1v1 games like gun game...are soooooo fun. I find more fun in these than "multi"player modes. (Part of this due to, mp being a terrible; elaborated later.)
-Guns are balanced, as far as I can tell. I have used all the smgs, and assaults.

Indifferent
-Cod points. Just another way to name the leveling up progression. There is real little incentive to getting more money, cause after like level 25 ish, you will have more money than the things you actually want to buy.
-Customization. Some people will eat this up, but I dont really care for it.
-Theater mode. Dont really use it all that much.

Bad
-Maps, too many corners for camping. Way too many. I am more of a run and gunner, as I was really good at that in MW1,MW2...but running and gunning in Black Ops will tend to get you killed in so many maps.
- 2V1 situations: Prepare to lose in 99% of cases. This was not the case in previous cod titles. Is this because of no stopping power? Nerfed gun damage?
-Online netcode is a probably the worst. I see my self shooting on the screen, but on killcam, it shows up as me shooting nothing! WTF! I also have like 3-4 bars. fuck that shit man.
-No sound whoring.
-Sounds suck ass
-Graphics are terrible, im not graphics whore, but cmon...graphics should be better or on par from previous releases.
-Takes too many bullets to kill people. I hit a guy dead aim on in the chest - NINE bullets (used the ak smg.)
-Maps are so bad. Crisis is so fukn huge. Just one of the examples of a map, where its so big, that no one ventures in to areas of that map to fight. This never happened in MW2. Maybe except for that snow level; no one ever fought in the back warehouses.
-Nuketown. Probably the worst fucking map ever in a FPS game in history. Whoever created and passed this level for retail, needs to be fired.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Tonight was one of those frustrating nights. Ran into a bunch of games where the opposite team would hide in the bushes, or lay on the ground somewhere, or sit in a dark corner and pick people off as they went by. I mean, do they honestly think they are skilled players when they pull this trash? Its depressing, to be honest. Anyhow, ran into games like that 8 out of 10 times. I just quit and played some Zombies mode instead with the cousins which is just really amazing. I hope those douchers get tired of sitting in the corner soon so people can go back to running and gunning.[/QUOTE]

Looks like those guys were successful in their camping strategy, making you quit. Seriously dude, this game doesn't take much skill, especially considering the fact that we're on console where the aim assist kicks in with framerate and subpar internet connection problems a plenty.

Like gomikeoh said, there are way too many corners to cover. So the simple solution? Camp.

This probably has been posted already, but here is the gun data.

http://denkirson.xanga.com/735016527/black-ops/

Apparently everyone is right in their assumptions that FAMAS and especially the AK74u are THE top guns. Galil comes a close second and the Aug is the FAMAS's less cooler twin.

In other news though, played some Barebones and it was a breath of fresh air.

They were supposed to take out Aim Assist for multiplayer completely, they didn't. It's just an option to turn it on or off. This is also why people are killing efficiently as Aim Assist is even more accurate in Black Ops than in MW2, in fact it lets me know early when somebody is going to come across my red dot sights. I originally had it turned off but due to the horrible sensitivity on aiming I'm mentioning below, I turned it back on, nevermind everybody else keeps theirs on. In MW2 I prefer it to be off but can't toggle simply because it gets in my way, while running on the exact same sensitivity(8) for MW2, I now need it because ADS is too jerky.

The guns and their iron sights are way too skinny compared to their MW2 counterparts. The AK47 hasn't changed in years but how is the one in MW2 nice and healthy while the one in Black Ops looking thinner than a runway model? Both AKs suffer from this. ADS also suffers from too much sensitivity, there is no reduction like in MW2 for fine aiming, so if you hit the stick hard, you literally spray everywhere, try to over correct and end up killed. Most guns that don't have circle iron sights are greatly improved with a RDS/Reflex.

I got Quickscoped two times and in that match the final kill was a quickscope. It's not even remotely fixed. On a similar cheap note, noob tubing wasn't fixed as it was just made worse, Hardline + Noob Tube = RCXD spam with 2 kills. Congratulations, the cure is worse than the disease since the RCXDs are very spammable to great effect.

Getting shot doesn't properly indicate how hurt you are in turning the screen red. This misleads me into getting killed because I don't know when to pull back and fully recover.

[quote name='Mad39er']They were supposed to take out Aim Assist for multiplayer completely, they didn't. It's just an option to turn it on or off. This is also why people are killing efficiently as Aim Assist is even more accurate in Black Ops than in MW2, in fact it lets me know early when somebody is going to come across my red dot sights. I originally had it turned off but due to the horrible sensitivity on aiming I'm mentioning below, I turned it back on, nevermind everybody else keeps theirs on. In MW2 I prefer it to be off but can't toggle simply because it gets in my way, while running on the exact same sensitivity(8) for MW2, I now need it because ADS is too jerky.

The guns and their iron sights are way too skinny compared to their MW2 counterparts. The AK47 hasn't changed in years but how is the one in MW2 nice and healthy while the one in Black Ops looking thinner than a runway model? Both AKs suffer from this. ADS also suffers from too much sensitivity, there is no reduction like in MW2 for fine aiming, so if you hit the stick hard, you literally spray everywhere, try to over correct and end up killed. Most guns that don't have circle iron sights are greatly improved with a RDS/Reflex.

I got Quickscoped two times and in that match the final kill was a quickscope. It's not even remotely fixed. On a similar cheap note, noob tubing wasn't fixed as it was just made worse, Hardline + Noob Tube = RCXD spam with 2 kills. Congratulations, the cure is worse than the disease since the RCXDs are very spammable to great effect.

Getting shot doesn't properly indicate how hurt you are in turning the screen red. This misleads me into getting killed because I don't know when to pull back and fully recover.[/QUOTE]

True I hate how I shoot some guy like 8 times but not 9 and the guy runs away and boom I die. I dont understand how damage is calculated in this game. The stupid car needs to be fixed. That killstreak needs to be like 25 kills to get. Because good god you cannot walk around the freaking map without seeing one pass by and I hate how that replaces the spy plane. This causes no one to have it up instead they just get the stupid car and get one kill (great for teams). Also its near impossible to shoot the freaking car.

The worst part is how claymores are overpowered. Granted you only get one but theres no click so you cant even run away from them. I want to love the game but the cheap stuff especially the camping is ruining it.

[quote name='kagekiri']True I hate how I shoot some guy like 8 times but not 9 and the guy runs away and boom I die. I dont understand how damage is calculated in this game. The stupid car needs to be fixed. That killstreak needs to be like 25 kills to get. Because good god you cannot walk around the freaking map without seeing one pass by and I hate how that replaces the spy plane. This causes no one to have it up instead they just get the stupid car and get one kill (great for teams). Also its near impossible to shoot the freaking car.

The worst part is how claymores are overpowered. Granted you only get one but theres no click so you cant even run away from them. I want to love the game but the cheap stuff especially the camping is ruining it.[/QUOTE]

The click, hell I've never seen one when they have killed me....and I watched the kill cam a couple of times on those and there is no way any normal human would not see those with their placements.

I back up the "dumping a round" into a chest only to be hit twice and die...and that was with the M16. I will probably be on tonight since I can feel all my fingers again and I plan on car spamming people. I mean, I might as well be an ass as well.

I won't be buying any else from Treyarch.... Not day one at least. This game is not right. I can't wait for Killzone, and Socom to come out.. because when they do I'm quitting this game cold turkey. Also, I'm against perks like Lightweight, because its forcing something that's unnatural. The speed in which a player moves should depend on what items he's carrying. What armor he's wearing... and that should have a direct outcome on how many shots you can take. Socom got it right in that aspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't aim assist on always in MP? That option to turn off "Auto Aim" is just for the snap to when one goes ADS in single player.

Claymores don't seem so bad. If they're giving you that much trouble, just run hacker or flak jacket.

There's a counter to everything in this game, although the only one I would complain about is the Ninja Pro countering itself. Though you can technically counter Ninja pro with motion sensors. since they need hacker to counter that.

Thom, the perfect mode for you would be barebones (no perks, equip, killstreaks). Unlocked at lvl 16 i believe.

They should have done something about the mic echo when someone is playing split screen online instead of me having to manually mute one of them. And I also think you should be able to stop throwing a grenade and use melee instead of having to complete the throw first as it leaves you defenseless and easy to kill; other than that I'm enjoying the game.

Everyone needs to play some HC S&D. Damage queries are answered (low life and NO HEALTH REGEN).

Never understood this hate for campers. Play styles, sure it is annoying, but just hold back a bit and stop running around in circles.

Claymore setup feels like MW1. You hear the click, then it is too late. S&D games almost forces you to run a hacker perk. If the lasers were a bit more visible, then it might help. Either I got hacker on, so I see everything.

Once again everyone needs to pull back from some Team Deathmatch and play some HC S&D. The only game mode that gets your heart pumping when the the commentator tells you are the last one, 3 left and the bomb has been planted. Can you do it?

/edit: and yes, once Socom 4 comes out, I'll be dropping this game quick. Need more 1 round per life game modes.

I think I have found the ultimate perk setup for camping.

Flak Jacket Pro (you laugh at grenades/explosives)
Hardline Pro (you laugh at bullets/rushers)
Tactical Mask Pro (you laugh at flash/concussion)

Weapon of choice? M60 w/grip. 100 rounds of awesome. Plus it's 2 hits and death at around 25m or less.

Equipment of choice is definitely motion sensor. Or if you don't have it, claymore.

I've gotten pretty good ratios. I've single handedly held a house easy. Sure it's camping, but heck, it's in the game. Besides, this is really the only way to play LMGs. You obviously can't run and gun with em. Once the sound and footsteps are fixed, even those with hacker can't beat this.

[quote name='option.iv']Isn't aim assist on always in MP? That option to turn off "Auto Aim" is just for the snap to when one goes ADS in single player.

Claymores don't seem so bad. If they're giving you that much trouble, just run hacker or flak jacket.

There's a counter to everything in this game, although the only one I would complain about is the Ninja Pro countering itself. Though you can technically counter Ninja pro with motion sensors. since they need hacker to counter that.

Thom, the perfect mode for you would be barebones (no perks, equip, killstreaks). Unlocked at lvl 16 i believe.[/QUOTE]

I tried the Barebones I liked it... especially cause the first couple of matches I went 16/5, 10/0, and 13/9. Playing that mode really made me see how I was so hooked on killstreaks. All match long I kept trying to call out a killstreak. The good think is, if you have someone on your team that's having a bad game giving up deaths, it doesn't get everyone else killed. I also tried the hardcore TDM.. I like that the heatlh is lower and the bullets are stronger, but it seems that the bullets are too strong and it really doesn't make a difference what gun you have. Only thing about that mode is that people camp like crazy.. I can't stand camping that much.

[quote name='Thomas96']I tried the Barebones I liked it... especially cause the first couple of matches I went 16/5, 10/0, and 13/9. Playing that mode really made me see how I was so hooked on killstreaks. All match long I kept trying to call out a killstreak. The good think is, if you have someone on your team that's having a bad game giving up deaths, it doesn't get everyone else killed. I also tried the hardcore TDM.. I like that the heatlh is lower and the bullets are stronger, but it seems that the bullets are too strong and it really doesn't make a difference what gun you have. Only thing about that mode is that people camp like crazy.. I can't stand camping that much.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing HC TDM and S&D as well and you're right, instead of dying from 2 or 3 bullets in regular modes you die from 1 bullet anywhere in the body from any gun in HC. It's retarded.

[quote name='option.iv']I think I have found the ultimate perk setup for camping.

Flak Jacket Pro (you laugh at grenades/explosives)
Hardline Pro (you laugh at bullets/rushers)
Tactical Mask Pro (you laugh at flash/concussion)

Weapon of choice? M60 w/grip. 100 rounds of awesome. Plus it's 2 hits and death at around 25m or less.

Equipment of choice is definitely motion sensor. Or if you don't have it, claymore.

I've gotten pretty good ratios. I've single handedly held a house easy. Sure it's camping, but heck, it's in the game. Besides, this is really the only way to play LMGs. You obviously can't run and gun with em. Once the sound and footsteps are fixed, even those with hacker can't beat this.[/QUOTE]

I love Nuketown for that reason. I actually use any LMG that I have a contract for, the M60 being most awesome. Anybody trying to hold the house is my target from outside. I ran I believe Scavenger, Hardened and Hacker and can shoot through the whole house completely with the exception of the rock portions. Most awesome use for a gun and perk combo on a map.

[quote name='j-cart']Everyone needs to play some HC S&D. Damage queries are answered (low life and NO HEALTH REGEN).

Never understood this hate for campers. Play styles, sure it is annoying, but just hold back a bit and stop running around in circles.

Claymore setup feels like MW1. You hear the click, then it is too late. S&D games almost forces you to run a hacker perk. If the lasers were a bit more visible, then it might help. Either I got hacker on, so I see everything.

Once again everyone needs to pull back from some Team Deathmatch and play some HC S&D. The only game mode that gets your heart pumping when the the commentator tells you are the last one, 3 left and the bomb has been planted. Can you do it?.[/QUOTE]They need to fix the lag before I even touch S&D. It's just not fair. Hardcore modes as well since that 1 bullet will make the difference. If they fix the lag and make it playable, I'll really give the other modes a try.

HC S&D pro tip: There is NO health regen.

Actually I've been noticing that the HC modes have been a lot more forgiving in the lag department. Then again, there is no kill cam. Either way, HC S&D teaches you not to go blindly into unknown areas. Learn to love the smoke grenade and it will become you most trusted item.

I just wrapped up single player. I agree that it's the best Call of Duty story yet.

- There is no "Shock and Awe" moment, which is a bummer. To be fair, it's kinda hard to top.
- Choking Dragovich to death by mashing L3 and R3 may be the best kill in the entire series

Honestly I'm not digging Hardcore. It's guaranteed everyone is running Ghost and Hacker. No sound whoring = running out and getting killed or just camping. On maps like Hanoi where it's a bitch to find the Spy to shoot down, not fun at all. Besides, no one bothers trying to shoot it down. Spy Plane = top tier in hardcore.

I wish barebones had a HC S&D game mode.

Also, knife should only be 1 hit kill if it is to the head, multiple slashes for everything else.

would anyone want to help me get the zombie mode trophies. they are the last ones I need. Apparently I suck, or my online teammates are horrible. Let me know. :)

as for my impressions of this game, i am let down. The story was not as good as I hoped, the multiplayer was not as good as I hoped. The best thing about this game I think is the dead ops arcade. lol. I love it.

I was hanging out with some friends this weekend, and was able to try Black Ops for the first time. I have to admit, it was incredibly fun and I'll be picking it up soon. My score for one match was 12:6. I know alot of people will tell me that I suck major ass, but given that was only the 2nd COD multiplayer match I EVER played, I'd have to say I did damn good.

Lol your thinking about buying the game after a tamohawk kill from 300 yards away where the tamohawk didnt even hit the player, it hit him after 2 bounces? Cod is complete garbage now, aim assist, perks, and reused content that wasn't that good from the start. Cod 1 and 2 were cool but the series is just comedy now. It really saddens me that most people waste there time playing this dirt. Id rather play 30 year old games over this redo. Mw2 is the worst ps3 game i own out of 30 so i think i'll just wait on GT5 and KZ3.

How does a tamohawk kill someone after it hits a wall and bounces 2 times lol.
Absolute Trash, def won't be getting this for more than 5 bucks.

LMFAO @ Tomahawk kill xD!!!!! Didn't expect that, this game is really entertaining since you can do stuff like that...wish i could've heard the reactions of people in that match.

Am I the only one having trouble in Veteran mode (story, single player)?

The part I'm stuck on is Operation 40 (the later part where the guys are divided into two teams and fighting in some lab or something).

Normally single player mode is fairly easy if you just pick a spot and clear the area. However, this part of the game got infinite number of bad guys (they keep on respawning), so on Veteran mode, it's not so easy for a number of reasons:

1. AI friends don't help you much (they actually get in your way)
2. AI enemies can shoot you from covers (damn smart too)
3. Very easy to die (duh, Veteran mode)
4. Infinite bad guys (can't clear)
5. No alternate strategies (like a different route or something)

I'm stuck!!!!! HELP?!?! I saw the video on Youtube, but man, it doesn't look right...

I know you're supposed to keep pushing forward so that your teammate follows you and eventually you can go right to flank the enemy... I died way too many times!!!

The pattern is take out the coming/charging enemies the go for the first cover (left). Wait and do same then go to the right cover a head, wait and do same, then go ahead to the left cover... By then, there's a guy ahead on the right cover shooting at you (that's where you can go right and flank).

I hate this kind of thing in FPS, because I can't see fully of what's coming at me (facing bullets, you die very quickly). This sort of thing is best for 3rd person shooters, where you can dodge and cover more accurately (Gears of War, Uncharted). I have to say it really pisses me off to pull such tactic on a FPS. It's so unlike all of the other CoDs I ever played! At least no infinite spawning of enemies or AI friends actually watch your back...

If you go left instead, and can get to the checkpoint, then you are golden. I tried going into the right side where you go down into a different room and got killed in there, then next time I went left and got checkpoint, but died. The respawn was at the checkpoint so I didnt have to clear all that shit again.

[quote name='nakanenui']If you go left instead, and can get to the checkpoint, then you are golden. I tried going into the right side where you go down into a different room and got killed in there, then next time I went left and got checkpoint, but died. The respawn was at the checkpoint so I didnt have to clear all that shit again.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, gonna try that, thanks man (the youtube video tells you go right). It's a pain on Veteran mode, it really is... This kind of tactic is not meant for FPS, I know I'm repeating, but that's the way it is.

[quote name='Serpentor'] It's so unlike all of the other CoDs I ever played! At least no infinite spawning of enemies or AI friends actually watch your back...[/QUOTE]

ssooooo, you never played world at war on veteran?

bread's done
Back