Catherine (PS3/360) Discussion - Out Now!

[quote name='SynGamer']I really want to like this game but the controls are absolute shit. I've died more times because I can't get Vincent off of a block (and he has one directly below him). It's beyond frustrating, so much so that it's tempting to sell this on eBay and get my money back...

Again, I REALLY want to like this game.[/QUOTE]

If you press the circle button, he'll drop off the block.
The only part of the controls that I still struggle with is they aren't consistent when you're hanging and moving.

Beat it last night on very easy (lol). This game was a huge disappointment. When I thought the story couldn't get any worse, it just kept going downhill. The dialogue was awful. It kept getting more and more animu. And the gameplay just wasn't fun to me. I could see people liking it, but I didn't, and the story/characters were not good enough to hold the game together. People on NeoGAF shit on the GiantBomb review that gave it a 2/5 but I think it's the most accurate review of the game I've seen.
http://www.giantbomb.com/catherine/61-32367/reviews/

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Beat it last night on very easy (lol). This game was a huge disappointment. When I thought the story couldn't get any worse, it just kept going downhill. The dialogue was awful. It kept getting more and more animu. And the gameplay just wasn't fun to me. I could see people liking it, but I didn't, and the story/characters were not good enough to hold the game together. People on NeoGAF shit on the GiantBomb review that gave it a 2/5 but I think it's the most accurate review of the game I've seen.
http://www.giantbomb.com/catherine/61-32367/reviews/[/QUOTE]

Too bad you didn't enjoy the game overall. I thought the story got better and better especially towards the end. Things i was wondering about got cleared up and game-play wise it got hard enough on Normal that it was really satisfying when I finally got through it.

[quote name='jh6269']If you press the circle button, he'll drop off the block.
The only part of the controls that I still struggle with is they aren't consistent when you're hanging and moving.[/QUOTE]

Yea just press a button and you drop off. I don't have any problem with the control at all, aside when you are hanging behind a block and the control is reverse. However that a small part of the game it didn't bother me that much

I like the game. I don't think it's a blockbuster or anything, but it's origional and fresh. I really like the story so far. If the controls could just stay consistant--if you keep pushing left and he'd keep going the same direction, no matter what side of the cube he's on--it would be much easier to play. Several times I get stuck on the other side of the cube, and he's not moving the direction I think he should be moving--it's very disorienting. So when that happens, I find myself having to guess which button to press to make him go the direction I want. If I could just get used to the controls, albeit they're broken, I could probably enjoy the game on normal and/or hard. Anyway, thank God for the undo button (SELECT). If I get stuck, I press that to undo and try again.

Anyway, the game is pretty high priced at $60, but I think it's totally worth $30. It's a nice diversion from the games I planned on playing this year, so I really can't complain about it. Also, it's just so freaking bizarre that it keeps me coming back.

Also that Rapunzel game is really fun. If that were accessible as a stand-alone game for $2.99, I would really like to have it.

Overall, the game is at least better than average, and I'd give it a solid B.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I can't help but wonder, if this game didn't have the pedigree it does, would people still like it?[/QUOTE]

it definitely drew me to it but overall I loved it regardless of that fact as I like puzzle games

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I can't help but wonder, if this game didn't have the pedigree it does, would people still like it?[/QUOTE]

Being from the persona team is just icing on the cake. Any game for me is how everything comes together story/gameplay/music/style. This game does this really well. Even though you say this has pedigree it's not anywhere near a AAA game tier, a lot of reviewers were still not impressed with the texture/graphics on this, calling them blurry and messy. Just look at Shadows of the Damned, that had real pedigree and people didn't like it and sold shockingly bad.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I can't help but wonder, if this game didn't have the boobs it does, would people still like it?[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

I watched the other endings on Youtube and the Catherine ending is much better than the Katherine ending (which I got). Maybe I would have been more satisfied after beating it if I got that ending instead.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
I can't help but wonder, if this game didn't have the boobs it does, would people still like it?
Fixed.

I watched the other endings on Youtube and the Catherine ending is much better than the Katherine ending (which I got). Maybe I would have been more satisfied after beating it if I got that ending instead.[/QUOTE]

Well, you really can't go wrong with boobs, that's for sure. :lol:

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']So here is a question for anyone who has beaten the game
Is Erica a guy?
[/QUOTE]
tranny

:/

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']So here is a question for anyone who has beaten the game
Is Erica a guy?
[/QUOTE]

It is hinted through out the game

[quote name='62t']It is hinted through out the game[/QUOTE]

Wow, I completely missed this.
I do remember Toby making some comment about wanting his V-Card back, but I guess I was not paying enough attention to pick up what actually was going on. Oh well, I'll pay more attention during my second play through.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']I feel kinda sick now since I thought
Erica actually looked good

http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Erica[/QUOTE]

She always did seem like one of the guys to me lol. A lot of players really like Erica, sometimes more then either Catherine/Katherine. So you're not alone in liking a guy ;) .

So the trophy for saving everyone, does that have to be in one play? (I got three out of the four, not sure how I messed up on the last one, I talked to him all the time, guess I missed once)

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So the trophy for saving everyone, does that have to be in one play? (I got three out of the four, not sure how I messed up on the last one, I talked to him all the time, guess I missed once)[/QUOTE]

Seems like it as I doubt the game is going to track your progress through different game saves. (And I believe it's 5 people, just so you know for your next playthrough ;))

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So the trophy for saving everyone, does that have to be in one play? (I got three out of the four, not sure how I messed up on the last one, I talked to him all the time, guess I missed once)[/QUOTE]

I believe it unlocks once you have the other trophies for saving them.

I'm not surprised by that. It's seemed to get way more attention then any of their other popular franchises have and it launched on multiple platforms rather than just one like usual

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Sorry I have 4 out of the 5. I know I'm only missing one
the cop
[/QUOTE]

If you want a guide to help you out, here's one

http://catherinethegame.wikia.com/wiki/Everyday_Hero

Haven't tried it out myself yet, but on my second playthrough, I'll probably be paying attention to it

(According to this wikia, you don't need to help them all out in one playthrough to get the achievement/trophy, so just pay attention to the cop ;))

I'm struggling with 9-5 on normal. The boss keeps magically hitting me. That and you cannot move or do anything during the sequence when the boss does some type of action. I have been three steps away from gold six times now. Arrrg..

Well, finished Normal with all golds. Now for hard. I tried to play the Babel stages again and before I was able to get to 100 steps relatively easy, but now I cannot fit over 30. Oh boy, this is going to be tough haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
So on Normal, I got all bronze (I know, it sucks). So after I beat the game, if I start a game on Easy and get all golds, will it unlock Babel and whatever else?

[quote name='jh6269']So on Normal, I got all bronze (I know, it sucks). So after I beat the game, if I start a game on Easy and get all golds, will it unlock Babel and whatever else?[/QUOTE]

no.

I started playing this last night. I've finished the first 3 nights and I've gotten all golds.

I'm curious what happens if you don't get gold. I mean, I know you can replay stages, but stages have multiple parts, so if you don't get gold do you have to completely play a stage again even if you only missed gold on one of the parts?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I started playing this last night. I've finished the first 3 nights and I've gotten all golds.

I'm curious what happens if you don't get gold. I mean, I know you can replay stages, but stages have multiple parts, so if you don't get gold do you have to completely play a stage again even if you only missed gold on one of the parts?[/QUOTE]

It's based off the overall since you only gold it if you beat the boss with a gold. If you for instance dont get gold on the middle one then you need to beat the first stage for instance to even have a chance at gold. Also generally if you didnt get gold on 1 stage then you're behind in points. and if its over like 3,000 points then you cant get gold anymore.

[quote name='EdgeOfThorns']How long is a playthru guys, just curious. Sorry if its been mentioned i just am hoping its at least a decent hike.[/QUOTE]

It took me 20 hours. I messed around with the mini-game in the bar for a considerable amount of time. Also, it took me a whole play-through to get used to the controls. So I had to retry a really large number of times. I'm on my second play-through now, and I'm trying to get golds in all of the stages; so far it's taken me 15 hours, and I'm about 75% done.

I'm playing my second play-through now, the first playthough, I tried to go all "good" and I tried to keep Katherine. And I think I had the Katherine ending.
Although, at the end, you never did find out about Johnny sleeping with Katherine.

Now, I'm trying to choose all evil, and I really want to dump Katherine. She's a fricking bitch. I've sent her rude texts and my meter is all the way red, but Vincent still chose to keep her :(

It took me about 12-13 hours for my first play through on Easy to get to an ending. Playing through to get the other two endings took only maybe an extra hour or so as I made a separate save at the stage 9-1 landing. The second play through on Normal took me maybe 6-7 hours and during this I got all gold on the levels as well as unlocked the bulk of the trophies I missed during the first play through aside from the mini game in the bar. All in all, I am probably 25ish hours into it as a whole with 60%(I think) of the trophies completed.

[quote name='jh6269']I'm playing my second play-through now, the first playthough, I tried to go all "good" and I tried to keep Katherine. And I think I had the Katherine ending.
Although, at the end, you never did find out about Johnny sleeping with Katherine.

Now, I'm trying to choose all evil, and I really want to dump Katherine. She's a fricking bitch. I've sent her rude texts and my meter is all the way red, but Vincent still chose to keep her :([/QUOTE]

I'm working on the being "bad" this time around, and
I am disappointed that not much change in terms with the meter being fully chaos. I do notice some of the things Vincent says are different but make little or no difference in the actual scene.

I also don't think Johnny was sleeping with Katherine due to some comments he makes during one of the endings.
He mentions after Vincent and Katherine split up that he runs into Katherine and asks her out but gets shot down.

[quote name='jughead']Well that is good news. I was a little worried when I heard they had no plans to localize it.[/QUOTE]

i'm sure Atlus wont 2nd guess them self again after this. this game sold like hot cakes.

a friend of mine bought the delux ediiton. he said he was going to ship me it after he finish it. cant wait to play it. :bouncy:

I was starting to think this game was actually pretty easy on normal having gotten golds with no problem on the first 5 levels, but then I got 6-3 and I no longer think that. Haven't tried 6-4 yet.

[quote name='viiral']i'm sure Atlus wont 2nd guess them self again after this. this game sold like hot cakes.

a friend of mine bought the delux ediiton. he said he was going to ship me it after he finish it. cant wait to play it. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
I don't think they ever second guessed it. They just used the fans' worry as a marketing tool to build excitement for the NA launch. They localize everything that their Japanese mothership makes that isn't a visual novel, even PSP and DS games that will be some of the last games that those platforms will get.

Finished Stage 7. 6-3 is still the hardest, I think.

I did sort of cheat on the 6-4 boss though. I kept undoing whenever it launched its attack.

Has anybody fully beaten the game yet? I mean like 100% everything and gotten the platinum? If so, how long did it take to do, and how hard was it? Looking for a bit of a challenge to keep me going for a while.

I believe admiralvic beat the game and got the platinum. I'm currently in it about ~30 hours and have 62% of the trophies. I missed many of them during my first round of playing. On a side note, I'm loving the babel stages. I feel I am getting quicker at solving thee puzzles because of it. I beat Altar yesterday and just beat Menhir. I really enjoyed Menhir as I kept pushing the blocks out of the way until I found a formation that I liked. I ended up finished with 177 steps instead of the normal 190.http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=228291

I finished the game on normal with all golds. It took 16-17 hours, I think, and I have about 50 % of the trophies.

I imagine if you going for the platinum, it's going to take a decent chunk of time. 50+ hours maybe? Less time if you're good, more time if you aren't. I don't even think I want to try conquering the game on hard. Without the undo button I don't think I'll be able to get golds. A lot of the time in normal I used the undo button to keep my streak alive.

Apparently you can get the babel trophies while doing the stages in pairs mode. From what I've read, the number of steps is cut drastically. Axismundi is only around 160 steps in pairs while single it is 300. I just tried Axismundi with a 2nd controller and got to 103 steps before I messed up. Probably would have beaten it if I didn't have to constantly switch between controllers. I will probably have a friend come over and just tell him to move when I tell him to move
similar to how you tell Katherine to move/not move in stage 8.

My one buddy finished the game the other night on wuss mode(easy) and he ended up getting ending #3(Katherine-Good ending).

I did NOT realize there are actually 8 endings to this game.:shock:

I ended up watching all of them on YouTube and I must say that certain endings with Catherine are by far the funniest.;)

If you're interested in seeing the other endings you didn't get(unless you're a trophy/achievement whore n played it 8 times:razz:), then look up the videos by theRadBrad, as they have them all listed.

It'll likely take an hour or more to watch all of them due to commercials on YouTube anymore and the length of some of them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I ended up watching all of them on YouTube and I must say that certain endings with Catherine are by far the funniest.;)
[/QUOTE]

I got the "True Cheater" ending without using any guides. Best ending I've seen in a video game in a long time. :lol:

Now working on the Katherine ending with all "Order" answers.

[quote name='Ecofreak']I got the "True Cheater" ending without using any guides. Best ending I've seen in a video game in a long time. :lol:[/QUOTE]
That ending was one of the ones that had me rolling.:lol:

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I saw someone streaming a tournament of people playing the Vs. mode in this game last night. It was pretty crazy.[/QUOTE]
that was crazy, competitive catherine is the future

bread's done
Back