Catherine (PS3/360) Discussion - Out Now!

I'm not one to normally play games like this but the demo was interesting to say the least.

I'll wait for the price to drop a bit before I dive into this one, though.

Honestly, Atlus loses points with me for having anime cutscenes. Yes, I know Atlus games always do, but it is completely pointless in this case and takes you out of the game. Use to there was animated cutscenes because in-game graphics could not render pretty cutscenes, now not only is that not true but Catherine's in-game models and animation kicks the ass of the anime cutscenes. The only reason they did it in this game (and probably been doing it) is to shamelessly cater to the anime fanbase. Or it's a Japanese thing, either way it is stupid.

Again, the in-game assests are so damn high-quality why are they compelled to do this than for any other reason than to cater to the anime fans? Tell me, I really wanna know.

Also, what is up with the audio levels? Anime cutscenes are loud as fuck while in-game cutscenes are whispers. I hate when games have these issues and I am always flabbergasted that no one does anything about it during testing.

[/bitchbitchmoanmoan]

[quote name='Buuhan1']Honestly, Atlus loses points with me for having anime cutscenes. Yes, I know Atlus games always do, but it is completely pointless in this case and takes you out of the game. Use to there was animated cutscenes because in-game graphics could not render pretty cutscenes, now not only is that not true but Catherine's in-game models and animation kicks the ass of the anime cutscenes. The only reason they did it in this game (and probably been doing it) is to shamelessly cater to the anime fanbase. Or it's a Japanese thing, either way it is stupid.

Again, the in-game assests are so damn high-quality why are they compelled to do this than for any other reason than to cater to the anime fans? Tell me, I really wanna know.

Also, what is up with the audio levels? Anime cutscenes are loud as fuck while in-game cutscenes are whispers. I hate when games have these issues and I am always flabbergasted that no one does anything about it during testing.

[/bitchbitchmoanmoan][/QUOTE]

What happened to your "Whiny Little Asshole" title?

Though I do agree with the last paragraph.

And the rest of your post, other than the whining. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dead of Knight']What happened to your "Whiny Little Asshole" title?

Though I do agree with the last paragraph.

And the rest of your post, other than the whining. :lol:
[/QUOTE]
I really didn't mean to come across as whiny, but I saw the potential of it seeming that way, thus the end of my post. Despite posting on the internet for 9 years, I still guess I don't know EXACTLY how to convey a post how I wish to.

I think I do agree about the excessive anime cutscenes. Even though I do really like anime, it would have been nicer to just use in-engine cutscenes.

I'll wait to play it to judge but it could be the director thought he could show more emotion and have more flexibility with hand drawn animation instead of being restricted by the movement and expressions available with the 3D models.

A game I thought made excellent use of anime cutscenes is Zone of the Enders 2, though they never showed the characters models in 3D, it was only mechs.

I'm excited for this, I've been playing the English demo of it since it came out now and can not wait, already have the Love is Over edition paid off. I think this will be a contender for 2011 GOTY (to me, that is)

I still have no idea what to think of this game after playing the demo. The controls feel a bit off in the dream world and the audio differences between cutscenes and in game are annoying. And I'm not really feeling the main character, but the story is what has me the most intrigued. Had fun...but not sure how I'll feel about the final product.

I would be a bit more hesitant about paying $60 for it if I didn't have $50 in Gamestop giftcards from e-Rewards and from family. I can understand the hesitation. The story has got me intrigued though. I could do without the puzzle sections, which is why I plan on playing it on the easiest difficulty.

Yeah, story and story alone are the only thing about this game I'm interested in, but I wouldn't feel right just watching all the cutscenes on YouTube or something. But considering I'm not exactly crazy to actually PLAY it, I'm just gonna get it used sometime from now when it is cheap. But Atlus games tend to have lower print runs and hold their new and used price for quite a long time (if not forever), so I guess I dunno what exactly to do...

Ah, someone else has e-rewards too? I've gotten $100 in GameStop gift cards so far with it.

Yeah, I really hope there's more to the game to make it worth the $60 (other than the soundtrack and artbook, etc.). I thought someone in these forums said that there are arcade machines in the Stray Sheep bar that you can play. There must be more to the game that we don't know about than just the story/puzzles. Anyway, the main reason I'm buying it day one is because I love Atlus and I feel they decided to bring this over here because the fans got excited about it (just like 3D Dot Game Heroes), so I want to support them any way I can.

Just canceled my PO for the "Love" edition. I'm tired of getting burned with new game releases only to see them drop in price in less than a month. I'll take my chances, especially after scoring the Killzone 3 Helghast Edition for only $39.99 last week.

[quote name='SynGamer']Just canceled my PO for the "Love" edition. I'm tired of getting burned with new game releases only to see them drop in price in less than a month. I'll take my chances, especially after scoring the Killzone 3 Helghast Edition for only $39.99 last week.[/QUOTE]

You did get the memo that Fatlus is supposedly only producing enough to fill preorders, right?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']You did get the memo that Fatlus is supposedly only producing enough to fill preorders, right?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, oh well. I'd love the LE bonus items, but at this point, I'm tired of retailers dicking us around. We'll see if any extra copies pop up later on.

Anyone else read GI's review? I tend to be okay with their scores and reasons behind it, but Catherine scored low and I was curious as to why...

Basically Phil Kollar complained the game was too hard and he feels like he wasted 15 because he got the bad ending. What?

[quote name='SynGamer']In all fairness...70/100 isn't all that low, especially if Phil felt that game was too hard (pussy).[/QUOTE]
Call me a "pussy," but difficulty is one of the main reasons this isn't a "must own" title for me.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Call me a "pussy," but difficulty is one of the main reasons this isn't a "must own" title for me.[/QUOTE]

I was calling Phil, the reviewer, a pussy.

Regardless of the review score, I just don't get his complaints. Honestly are US gamers so removed from Japanese tropes that they're gonna bitch about getting a bad ending due to their own decisions in-game?

He even mentioned playing and answering the questions as he would (if he were Vincent). Well then fucking own up to the choices...

I just don't get it, whatever. But maybe I'm one of the few still playing mediocre games and getting all 10+ endings for no apparent reason >.

I'm not a big fan of multiple endings cause almost always there's an "ideal" ending for the game, so multiples just set you up to get one of the more disappointing ones. Instead of encouraging replay value, I think it just encourages Youtube viewing.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Call me a "pussy," but difficulty is one of the main reasons this isn't a "must own" title for me.[/QUOTE]

The patched easy mode is supposed to be pretty easy.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The patched easy mode is supposed to be pretty easy.[/QUOTE]

and if I recall, the demo is the unpatched version

after playing the demo for the 8th time I am finely starting to like the Voice acting.

Personally Easy posed no real challenge as you get the "undo" option if you make a mistake.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']The patched easy mode is supposed to be pretty easy.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but it saddens me that I won't be able to do more in the game unless I want my ass kicked. If the Normal difficulty is soul crushing, you know you have a problem. Then again, some people love that, like Demon's Souls.

tumblr_lojoku8K4E1qmz9wvo1_500.jpg

lol well
Katherine is preggers so yea she is a crazy lunatic Catherine is a bat shit crazy soul eatting homicidal maniac though

[quote name='bjstucker']lol well
Katherine is preggers so yea she is a crazy lunatic Catherine is a bat shit crazy soul eatting homicidal maniac though
[/QUOTE]

Motherfucker. >< How about detailing what's inside your spoiler tag next time? Welp, there goes any and all interest I had in getting the game now.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Motherfucker. >< How about detailing what's inside your spoiler tag next time? Welp, there goes any and all interest I had in getting the game now.[/QUOTE]

There have been numerous previews discussing what he put in his spoiler tag...and in all fairness, it WAS in a *spoiler tag*... ;)

[quote name='SynGamer']There have been numerous previews discussing what he put in his spoiler tag...and in all fairness, it WAS in a *spoiler tag*... ;)[/QUOTE]
You should always clarify what's in a spoiler tag, as people don't always use them to reveal major plot points. Also, I dunno what previews you've read but I sure haven't read any that laid that out.

I want to preorder the Love Is Over edition so I get the preorder bonus too, but I can't find a store that ships it overseas :/
Any tips?

[quote name='Buuhan1']No where in that does it say that
Catherine is a demon, or whatever.
Tho it was kinda obvious.[/QUOTE]

I thought he was being facetious with that. But what if he wasn't? Wouldn't be surprised anyway.

Traded in some games and took advantage of GameStop's 50% (+10% PUR) trade-in bonus towards a pre-order game. Grabbed the regular edition of Catherine. You still get the artbook and CD for pre-ordering and I like to support these types of games if I can. Plus, my trade-ins (3 games) totaled $75.xx so it's paid off with $15.xx extra that I can put towards BF3.

[quote name='Buuhan1']No where in that does it say that
Catherine is a demon, or whatever.
Tho it was kinda obvious.[/QUOTE]
I didn't mean to say she was a demon ..... just that she was not a hormonal bitch, but more a fiend for Vincent's man boy part :drool:

[quote name='bjstucker']
I didn't mean to say she was a demon ..... just that she was not a hormonal bitch, but more a fiend for Vincent's man boy part :drool:
[/QUOTE]
Sadly, I asked someone how bad spoiled I was who played the original Japanese and they confirmed your spoiler was true. ><

It also doesn't help that the GameInformer review outright calls
Catherine a killer.

bread's done
Back