Chacranajxy's Guide to Importing (Updated 2/6/07 at 21:05)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll submit it after I get it a little bit more complete. But thanks for the kind words, Cheapy.

Front page material? :lol:

ToysNJoys has been a B&M store in Hawaii for a long time. I used to shop there quite often, but the store closest to me has trimmed back a lot on it's import games section. I think the higher import prices tend to scare people away. Anyway, it's fine for locals, but mail order gives them a bad rap. They simply don't keep the website updated properly and won't have rarer games in stock even though it says so on the site. I've dealt w/them via email, recently, and they were responsive and helpful.

I'm curious about Donkey Konga. Is the JP version of DK2 worth buying if you have the US version? Is DK3 (JP) worth spending the money to import?

Awesome guide Chac. Modding a PS2 is cheaper than I thought, I'll have to look into that.

I wish I could play some Import RPGs like Dragon Force or Mother 3, maybe I should learn Japanese....Nah.

[quote name='Sarrasis']I'm curious about Donkey Konga. Is the JP version of DK2 worth buying if you have the US version? Is DK3 (JP) worth spending the money to import?[/QUOTE]
I was just gonna ask about this. I believe at one point when people were discussing the import Donkey Kongas there was talk of memory card corruption/reformatting. Any info on this?

And Daigasso! Band Brothers is a great DS import. Very import friendly. Rhythm game so you can figure out what you're supposed to be doing pretty quickly. Other than speech bubbles entirely in Japanese, almost everything menu-related has English under the Japanese text (I have no idea why) so you can figure out where you need to go pretty easily.

Knights Of The Temple is a decent European Xbox import. It's a nice little medievil hack and slash and I could never figure out why it didn't come out over here. There's apparently a sequel coming out for it later this year as well.

[quote name='botticus']I was just gonna ask about this. I believe at one point when people were discussing the import Donkey Kongas there was talk of memory card corruption/reformatting. Any info on this?
[/quote]

My GC Action Replay instructions say to use a separate memory card for imports, because it reformats the mem card and you lose all your previous data. I wouldn't try to play any imports with my normal mem card.

There *is* a way to play imports without modding your PS2 in the slightest, and some may argue that, while the cheapest and most reliable method is the Slide Card/Flip Top lid (though the latter voids your warranty, many claim that the former will fuck with your disc drive motor and significantly decrease the lifespan of your console).

The way to play imports without voiding your warranty is using the HD Loader disc (~$20) and your PS2 HDD. Now, getting your import discs onto the HDD requires a method that I'm not certain I want to get into, since it's an easy recipe for piracy as well.

The other downside? Some games aren't compatible with the HDD. Not many, but some significant ones. I'm sitting on my copy of FFXII right now because I sold my JPN PS2 a couple of months back (here's hoping "region free PS3" means "all Playstation games, regardless of generation), and it won't work on the HDD. Another significant omission for the HDD is Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection (very much like SFA Anthology, but import only). I'm *pissed* that that game doesn't work. OTOH, the majority of imports I have do work on it.

Anyway, if you want more details on this technique, let me know. I won't post it without permission, however.

[quote name='toldawg128']My GC Action Replay instructions say to use a separate memory card for imports, because it reformats the mem card and you lose all your previous data. I wouldn't try to play any imports with my normal mem card.[/QUOTE]
That's what I kinda figured. Thanks for clearing it up.

Guilty gear Judgment's going to be an awesome import for the PSP... the U.S. version has GG Reload, but the JP version has Slash! :hot:

A few things:

Yeah, I think that Donkey Konga's song list was completely different for Japan (more Jpop, less Britney Spears) and that completely slipped my mind. I'll add that and Daigasso. And it's prolly a good idea to say that the memory card thing is an issue...

As for HDLoader, I would've listed that, but I think that goes way too far into piracy territory and it's also really expensive if you don't have a hard drive and all that.

In the case of Gamecube games, you can play PAL games on your US system. I know that on the SwapMagic discs, there's an option to set the format to NTSC or PAL, but I'm not sure if that'll actually do anything (have to look that up.) Shenmue II on the DC works in both NTSC and PAL as do some other games on the DC and all the portable games don't have to deal with the NTSC and PAL shit so you're good with those.

Sounds good. I just thought it would be good to know if any special dual-mode TV was required for something like that (I know they exist).

[quote name='botticus']I was just gonna ask about this. I believe at one point when people were discussing the import Donkey Kongas there was talk of memory card corruption/reformatting. Any info on this?[/QUOTE]You can't save Donkey Konga games (and Mr. Driller) on US Gamecubes. Doesn't matter if you use a Japanese memory card or a US memory card formatted with a Japanese game; you need a Japanese or modded Gamecube to save those games. And if you're not careful, you can wipeout the memory card you tried to save on with these games.

Is Simple 2000 Series Vol. 101: The Oanechan 2 the only game in the series worth buying?

62t recommended Vol. 15 as well. There was one game (maybe vol. 51) where you were in a helicopter and shot at a giant woman in a bikini that was going through the city. Most of the games in the series are awful though.

[quote name='Chacrana']In the case of Gamecube games, you can play PAL games on your US system. I know that on the SwapMagic discs, there's an option to set the format to NTSC or PAL, but I'm not sure if that'll actually do anything (have to look that up.) Shenmue II on the DC works in both NTSC and PAL as do some other games on the DC and all the portable games don't have to deal with the NTSC and PAL shit so you're good with those.[/QUOTE]

As far as Xbox games go, most PAL games will play without any problems straight from the disc. Of course, you need to mod your Xbox to be able to play imports and I won't go into that here. I have come across a couple of PAL games that simply would not play correctly from the disc though and would give you error messages. These require a little extra effort which I will also not go into here.

[quote name='Jesu']Is Simple 2000 Series Vol. 101: The Oanechan 2 the only game in the series worth buying?[/QUOTE]

I didn't think it was worth the disc I burned it to...I guess it depends on how much you like the graphics.

Just wanted to say that you missed a few key points about this guide OP:

First off, modding your system (xbox or ps2) does a lot more than just let you play imports, such as dev your own games and even play other home brew games, as well as open the door for you to install games on hard drives to play without discs, not to mention that swapping is a pain in the ass when you just want to load and play.

2nd, you forgot the switch method for gamecube. Rather than install a chip which is a waste of money, the gamecube actually has a jumper spot for switching regions. All you need to do is install a simple toggle switch somewhere in the back of your cube and switch USA or JAP.

3rd, why buy a swap disc for dreamcast when you can burn your own? It doesn't make it any more legitimate by buying someone else's product when you can burn the same thing (which btw was way ahead of its time AND the original) for free.

This is why google is your friend.

[quote name='vicko']Just wanted to say that you missed a few key points about this guide OP:

First off, modding your system (xbox or ps2) does a lot more than just let you play imports, such as dev your own games and even play other home brew games, as well as open the door for you to install games on hard drives to play without discs, not to mention that swapping is a pain in the ass when you just want to load and play.

2nd, you forgot the switch method for gamecube. Rather than install a chip which is a waste of money, the gamecube actually has a jumper spot for switching regions. All you need to do is install a simple toggle switch somewhere in the back of your cube and switch USA or JAP.

3rd, why buy a swap disc for dreamcast when you can burn your own? It doesn't make it any more legitimate by buying someone else's product when you can burn the same thing (which btw was way ahead of its time AND the original) for free.

This is why google is your friend.[/QUOTE]

1. This about imports, not homebrew stuff.
2. I'll look into the switch method.
3. I said that you can burn your own.

Edit: I checked the switch method and that's the most wildly impractical shit I've ever seen in my life.

There ya go. I can't vouch for the quality of either, but if you want something to show your friends, I'm sure that Vol. 50 will fit the bill.

I would add Kuru Kururin Paradise to the GBA recommendations. Picked it up during the summer clearance at P-A and it's great!

[quote name='Chacrana']1. This about imports, not homebrew stuff.
2. I'll look into the switch method.
3. I said that you can burn your own.

Edit: I checked the switch method and that's the most wildly impractical shit I've ever seen in my life.[/QUOTE]What's so wildy impractical about it? If it's the method I'm thinking of, it's one of the easiest modifications to a console (no where near as complicated as a modchip). Though, your guide seems to focus on methods that don't requiring soldering, so I'd agree it doesn't belong in your guide. But I was also kinda surprised you didn't mention the switch method when you mention the modchip (which I think became available way later).

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']What's so wildy impractical about it? If it's the method I'm thinking of, it's one of the easiest modifications to a console (no where near as complicated as a modchip). Though, your guide seems to focus on methods that don't requiring soldering, so I'd agree it doesn't belong in your guide. But I was also kinda surprised you didn't mention the switch method when you mention the modchip (which I think became available way later).[/QUOTE]

I think it's impractical because it requires you to open up your Gamecube and mess around with the jumpers and cut a hole in the Cube.

"The Xbox has no worthy imports. Even the Shin Megami Tensei series had a weak showing on the Xbox. Thankfully, Microsoft is picking up the slack with the Xbox 360, so hopefully that system will have games worth importing."

WRONG. Metalwolf Chaos. Nuff said.

Oh, how about Doshin the Giant, for the Gamecube? That seems to be one of the more frequently-mentioned Cube imports. I don't know how English-friendly it is, though.

You can also play "imports" on the PS2 by using the program DVD Decrypter and just insert the game into your pc and run the program then just pop it into the PS2.

This wasn't mentioned (I think)...you don't have to import games to play them...you can download the iso from torrent sites and use Nero, Alcohol or some other program to burn the game onto a dvd and play....FREE

now I need to find a way to play GC games from Japan without buying...

i didn't try to own anyone, i was just stating that if this was the "definitive guide to importing" it should include all aspects not just what he feels like including; therefore trying to contribute to the guide rather than just saying KEWL.

I would still think that such a guide would include any and all uses for each method, all the while keeping it legal, which is why I mentioned modchips for their homebrew purposes as well as HDloader. We all know what else mods are used for and that's why I didn't mention that.

You also forgot to mention that, since it seems you are a platformer/shmup/rpg fanm that japan also has the better bemani series games, like all the beatmania iidx's, ddrs and the other series that haven't even made it here. the beatmania that was just recently released is a joke to even the early releases in japan.

rather than take offense to my contributions, just see them for what they are: contributions.

-Vicko

Yeah, I've gotta put up a lot more PS2 games. All the PS2 stuff I've listed so far is just the stuff that I'm either really into or that I know a lot about.... simply because that's the logical first batch of stuff to post. And the only reason I took offense to it was because of the whole "this is why you use google" bit.

[quote name='Vegan']Oh, how about Doshin the Giant, for the Gamecube? That seems to be one of the more frequently-mentioned Cube imports. I don't know how English-friendly it is, though.[/quote]

The PAL (European/Australian) version of this game is in English and can be played using Freeloader/AR. I have both the Japanese and the PAL versions of Doshin. The Japanese version of the game was my very first Cube import that I got after I modded my Cube (way before Freeloader/AR came out).

If you have the region switch mod and a US/Japanese Cube, you can't play the PAL version of any game unless you have a Freeloader/AR. Other than that, I definitely prefer having a switch on my Cube than having to swap discs. It just makes things so much easier. And it's easy for me to tell what mode my Cube is in since I also did the LED mod where the color is different depending on what mode the Cube is in. My purple Cube has the original orange LED when it's in Japan mode and a green LED for US mode. My platinum Cube lights up red for Japan mode and blue for US mode.

As for Doshin itself, it's... uh, different... it's one of those games that can be played however you want to play it. I have more fun being a bad giant than being a good giant because it's a whole lot easier to earn skulls than it is to earn hearts to get bigger. It's fun to make mountains and then slide down them (and sometimes crash into villages). The game does get kind of boring after a while. I still haven't built all the monuments in either version of the game. I might get around to "beating" the game someday.

Oh, and it takes up 40 blocks on a memory card. The Japanese version I got came with a free memory card 59 with a Doshin memory card label. The PAL version didn't come with any memory cards. It might not make much of a difference now since Nintendo came out with bigger memory cards, but back when all they had were the 59's, it was nice that the game came with one. Just make sure you have enough free space, if you want to play this game. It was good as my first import since I didn't really need to know any Japanese at all. But now that it's out in English, just get that version instead.

Yeah, I remember that a European version of Doshin came out (or at least I heard it was supposed to be coming out.) There's quite a few games that come out in Japan and Europe but not the US... those are a pain though since they're sometimes hit and miss with NTSC compatibility (though it's irrelevant with the Freeloader.)

Few things:

Quite a few 'Simple 2000' games and other Japanese titles have been released in Europe, in English under the '505 Gamestreet' brand.
http://www.505gamestreet.com/
http://fuji.drillspirits.net/505/ < list of published games along with Japanese titles.

KuruKuru Kururin for the GBA was released in Europe (it was a launch title if I remember correctly) and you can pick it up for as low as $10'ish new on ebay.co.uk.

Likewise Sonicgems Collection came out in Europe on the PS2. =)

GAME.co.uk are owned by EB (we used to have EB, but EB bought out GAME then ditched the EB name in favour of GAME, or something like that), so they are certainly a reliable place to buy from.

Try EBAY! Seriously I have gotten some amazing deals on secondhand Japanese games, just try more than one search e.g. japan, jap, jpn, japanese, import, chinese, ntsc-j etc...

And check out Ebay.co.uk for European imports; major retail stores usually won't carry any old/out of print, and may lack some of the obscure titles; ebay is ideal for this stuff (think of stuff like KuruKuru Kururin for example).

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/ are quite a good site for import reviews and discussions if if hasn't been mentioned already.

As for game recomendations well for the PS2 most music games are worth a look, the Japanese versions of DDR, Beatmania and Taiko have MUCH MUCH better songlists than the US versions, can be used with US controllers and have loads of games in the series. I also recommend Pop'n Music ^^ (google it). The MAJOR exception here is the Karaoke Revolution Series which sucks major ass in Japan (the songs are all midi's, there's no romanji (english) lyrics, backgrounds suck and you can't use the US Karaoke Revolution Mics).

On the subject of Karaoke games if you like them then you MUST check out a European only series called SingStar for the PS2. There are 5 games in the series so far with the 6th installment 'SingStar: Anthems' being relased in a couple of days (Each game is based on a different genre of music).
The games are STACKS better than the Karaoke Revolution series, the game mechanics are a lot better (it's much much easier to read and sing along to the music). Each game features around 30 songs (original recordings) along with the actual music videos and as you'd expect stacks of game modes. There are lots of nice touches such as being able to hot swap discs for other SingStar games without turning off the machine.
It's developed by Sony's London Studio (I think. i.e. The same people behind the EyeToy games) so of course also has optional EyeToy support.

Unfortunately you have to use SingStar microphones with the games, which will probably cost quite a bit to ship abroad, but that is because they are heavy, QUALITY mics, they absolutely trounce the crappy Karaoke Revolution mics by a mile. I recommend ordering from GAME as postage abroad isn't based by weight but per order - only £5). The retail is around £35 ($65) a game with 2 mics or £20 ($37) without mics

Check out www.singstargame.com for the games in the series along with trackslists and music previews.

I can't really think of any other PS2 recommendations, though I would personally love to check out Iuksa Gami, 'cos it looks awesome.

Oh and regarding the DS, a small correction... Jump Superstars isn't all that 'import friendly' IMO as some wins have to be under certain conditions, which you won't be able to understand. Saying that there's lots of info on gamefaqs to help you out though.
And Osu! Tatake! Ouenden! I think should be relabeled to 'import friendly'. - The "stories" before each song are illustrated on the top screen and in most cases it's quite easy to make out what the plot is about. The only thing you won't understand are the songs themselves, but dam they're catchy. Ouenden! is by far one of the best games on the DS I really can't recommend it enough.

Come to think of it 'Kaitou Rousseau' for the DS is also great fun, basically you disguise yourself by copying a background object on a piece of paper (e.g. a window) to avoid the cops and such, it's halarious, but there is quite a lot of dialogue; not import friendly!

Oh and for the GBA I have to recommend 'F-Zero Climax', it's the best GBA F-Zero yet and even features a track editor, very import friendly.

:)

You should also add the HDadvance 3 on the list. For this version you don't even need any sort of mod to load games and it can be done through a PC.

add DJ Max Portable for the PSP to that list. it's a great Beatmania clone but with some better music, imo. Definitely woth an import if you like music/rhythm games.

I suggest adding Fire Pro Wrestling D for the Dreamcast and Fi-Pro Returns for the PS2 to the list.

They aren't import friendly per se. But they are great wrestling games. Much much better than the junk we get here in the USA.

I only skimmed the thread, so I apologize if this has actually been mentioned, but you can softmod your Xbox, which is the cheapest and one of the easiest ways to play imports (as well as anime and homebrew software).

Action Replay = $20-30, original versions of Splinter Cell, MechAssault, or 007: Agent Under Fire = $3 at Gamestop/EB. No modchips or disc swapping needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back